Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Branagh's Hamlet

Has anyone ever seen it? Is it worth the 4 hours?

by Anonymousreply 11August 20, 2018 1:58 AM

Very much so. Great, precise and compelling.

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2017 2:22 AM

Very well done, all things considered, despite Branagh's being too old, and the awkward performance of Jack Lemmon, of all people. Good cast otherwise, and good score by Patrick Doyle. Worth seeing.

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2017 2:28 AM

Hammy, self-indulgent shit show

by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2017 2:44 AM

I found it quite sterile and unmoving when I saw it in theatres during its initial release. Plus it goes on forever.

I prefer Zefferelli's 1990 version with Mel Gibson. It is raw, moody, sexually charged and moves at a ripping pace. Mel is surprisingly good, but he and everyone else is outshone by Helena Bonham Carter, who is simply phenomenal as Ophelia. Her 'mad' scene is devastating. Every Ophelia I've seen since (including Kate Winslet in Branagh's film) has disappointed me.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2018 4:01 PM

I'm one of those people who loves watching him and this role is a perfect fit with everything he's good at: Intensity in onscreen presence, unexpected comedic timing, a gift for understanding the context of the lines. Worth it.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2018 4:08 PM

R4 It's great at capturing the isolation of place, though, where Branagh is the biggest energy in the space.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2018 4:09 PM

Shakespeare is shit. All the lines are in English but no one understands what the fuck anyone is saying.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2018 4:12 PM

R4 Also, Bonham is exceptional in this at portraying an impetuous teenager who is experiencing her first heartbreak really well. But Winslet portrays a damaged, young woman with an "aged" experience better. She's believable as someone who would quietly commit suicide, which makes her contained portrayal very creepy.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2018 4:13 PM

Julie Christie is the best thing in it, but otherwise I was disappointed. I much prefer his Renaissance Theatre production on audio book, and the R & J is sublime. I did like the Zeffiirelli-Gibson adaptation--the latter's closet scene with Close is thrilling. My fave versions of Hamlet are the Hallmark Hall of Fame production with a superb Richard Chamberlain (much abridged and moves like lightning); the other is a Russian film from the 60s that is superb. Both are on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2018 4:40 PM

Thanks for the recommendations, R9.

Oddly, the best Hamlet I've ever seen (performance) isn't even in a production of Hamlet. It's Iain Glen in Tom Stoppard's film of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. He is superb at handling the dialogue, full of nervous energy, and manages to be both scary and poignant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2018 1:49 AM

Sorry, poor quality video at R10.

Better footage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 20, 2018 1:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!