Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix Original Series Marvel's The Defenders

Can they recover from the stumble they took with Iron Fist?

They sure can, if Sigourney Weaver has anything to say about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207March 7, 2018 11:51 PM

Thankfully the team behind "The Defenders" is not the team that was behind "Iron Fist" but rather the showrunners from "Daredevil"

Look forward to this, hopefully it will redeem Danny Rand to have other writers handling the character.

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2017 2:04 PM

Why do they keep casting Nick Colter in things? He's a terrible actor.

When I first saw him on The Good Wife, I figured they got some muscle-headed sports star who decided to be an actor to play the part of the wealthy gangster. Nope.

Been acting for years.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2017 2:10 PM

I'm not sure. Like, I just don't think I like Finn Jones. But I think Ritter and Cox's charisma may elevate him.

They've been kind of vague about who Sigourney is playing, but I'm hoping against hope she's Madam Masque.

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2017 2:15 PM

I haven't really watched any of these things after Jessica Jones. I tried Nick Cage but didn't get pulled into it. What's wrong with Iron Fist?

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2017 2:17 PM

Sorry I meant Luke Cage, lol

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2017 2:18 PM

Looks promising and even Finn looks like he got an acting lesson or two since Iron Fist. Or maybe the director rode him extra hard like the little bitch he is.

That shot at 1:44 is worth tuning in for alone. And look at that stylised hallway fight where they all join in! Oh, my.

Sigourney Weaver is going to elevate this like nothing else can.

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2017 2:18 PM

Sigourney Weaver is playing an original character r3.

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2017 2:19 PM

So, so tired of Marvel. Overexposed.

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2017 2:23 PM

[quote]What's wrong with Iron Fist?

A lot of stuff. A big part of it is that you have a ninja who barely does any ninja-ing and a big chunk of the plot was about corporate intrigue. There were a few bright spots, like Colleen Wing and the return of Madam Gao from the first season of Daredevil.

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2017 2:23 PM

Sorry -- I prefer the original with Robert Reed and E.G. Marshall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2017 4:24 PM

I love the way Jessica's eyes flick back and forth between Matt and Misty with that look of total "Da fuq?"

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2017 6:58 PM

[quote]Sigourney Weaver is playing an original character [R3].

They're CLAIMING that, but I doubt anyone actually believes it. There's a lot of speculation that she's a gender-flipped Mephisto.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2017 7:03 PM

Great breakdown of the trailer. She fucking hates Finn Jones as much as I do which I didn't think was possible.

However, I don't get her complaint regarding Sigourney Weaver being shot from below the eye line; it's not like she has turkey neck or anything. And it's an old camera trick that instantly gives stature to a character. Her costume in the boardroom is flawless to me and I'm probably in the right here, seeing how I'm gay. She does need a better bra, though. Can't believe she's 67.

R12 ScreenRant has been speculating that it might be a gender-flipped Alexander Bont, and Grace is betting on Typhoid Mary. I think Mephisto would be a bit much in this series that's supposed to be more street-level. I would be disappointed if she's just another kingpin, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 5, 2017 9:36 PM

Yeah why on earth does anyone thing a street-level down to earth team would be taking on MEPHISTO? Is that really a fan theory? Man 13 year old fanboys can be dumb.

by Anonymousreply 14May 5, 2017 10:00 PM

I think it goes into the demonic nature of the Hand and the fact that Elektra's resurrection has to be fulfilled by blood magic.

Hey, Sigourney played God on Eli Stone.

by Anonymousreply 15May 5, 2017 10:13 PM

R14 You said it more directly than me, but I agree. I hadn't heard about Mephisto before R12's post so I googled him. As soon as I saw a picture of him hunting the Silver Surfer [italic]in space[/italic], I sensed he wouldn't be the right fit here.

It's like those fans who want to see the Defenders in Infinity War movies. What the fuck are they supposed to do? They don't even cover the whole of New York when you think about it! Are they going to board Danny's private jet and fly across the ocean to save my ass when Thanos drops a purple deuce over my little backwards shithole? Sure, they can all punch real hard, but that's about it. They're certainly no match for Thanos' Black Order.

Having said that, R15's point [italic]does[/italic] sound intriguing. Who could bring back people from the dead other than Mephisto? Also, we've already glimpsed a dragon on IF so maybe they're going all out this time?

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2017 10:25 AM

More clues from the proud, but careless costume designer for the show:

[quote]“I think that she’s clearly a baddie, and she’s the [bold]head of an ancient organization[/bold] which is grounded in the comics. I hope that her wardrobe reflects that kind of ancientness. I hope I haven’t said too much. I hope Marvel doesn’t come after me.”

[quote]“There was a palette component to [Alexandra’s] world too. I don’t really want to get into that, but you can draw your own conclusions from what you’ve seen. [There is] a lot of depth to her wardrobe. A lot of life [bold]or lives[/bold] to her wardrobe, I wanna say.”

Isn't Typhoid Mary supposed to be schizophrenic? That would explain the "or lives" bit. Or Mephisto, bringing people from the dead. Now I'm certain we're not getting a generic kingpin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 9, 2017 3:54 PM

Second trailer released at Comic-Con.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2017 11:05 AM

I still don't get why they don't have Danny in costume so they could get a stunt man to do more of the fighting for him.

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2017 11:20 AM

R19 They came up with some excuse at Comic-Con, saying The Defenders is actually the second part of the first season of Iron Fist and that he will don the costume at the end, just like Daredevil did at the end of his season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2017 11:26 AM

I'm honestly surprised to learn that Iron Fist is getting a second season at all. They should have just combined it and Luke Cage and done it as Heroes for Hire. Which, instead of Misty Knight going to Iron Fist, would have freed her for a Daughters of the Dragon series with Colleen Wing.

by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2017 11:29 AM

R21 I [italic]hated[/italic] the first season (Sacha Dhawan notwithstanding) but I'm not surprised it's getting another season. Wasn't it the most streamed Marvel Netflix show or something like that?

I'm sure increasing its budget and having a stern talk with the terrible showrunner will do the trick. Finn's acting seems markedly improved in this trailer, which I'm glad to see as that was my main complaint before.

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2017 3:43 PM

The trailer looks good, excited for this series.

And of course Iron Fist is getting a second season, the Marvel Netflix train is running hot. I just hope they really take to heart all the complaints and work hard to turn it around. Though I am not sure how much Finn himself cares.

Krysten Ritter gave away that Finn hadn't bothered to watch any of these shows.

by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2017 4:06 PM

[quote]Krysten Ritter gave away that Finn hadn't bothered to watch any of these shows.

Just when I thought I couldn't hate that fucking actor more, I read stuff like that. Christ, that little shit is annoying!

by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2017 4:11 PM

Interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2017 4:15 PM

Contrast to Ritter, who wanted the part so badly, she made sure to come to her audition dressed as Jessica.

by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2017 4:18 PM

From what I understand, they rushed through Iron Fist (with the last minute casting of Finn) to get to Defenders, and it shows. So I'm assuming they're going to spend more effort for the second season of IF.

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2017 4:47 PM

OT but I watched the first three episodes of Ozark last night and thus far the show is pretty awesome.

by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2017 4:50 PM

R27 Yeah, they didn't get the same budget as other Marvel series [italic]and[/italic] it was so rushed they only showed Finn his moves fifteen minutes before the scenes were shot. I bitched about his acting [italic]a lot[/italic] but he probably didn't receive the proper direction as a consequence of it being a rush job.

I'm sure they'll learn from those criticisms rather than get cocky over viewing figures, and the show will be much better in its second season as a result. I'll watch it regardless for Sacha Dhawan alone.

by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2017 5:56 PM

And these are the same people bringing you Inhumans. Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2017 5:57 PM

Yep, shock to no one that Inhumans looks pretty bad as well.

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2017 5:59 PM

Iron Fist looked okay to me from the trailers but Inhumans looked horrific from the very first promo photo, and still does even after getting better editors to cut the Comic-Con trailer.

It's amazing what some showrunners get away with.

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2017 6:20 PM

Scott Buck is famous for completely ruining Dexter as well when he was brought on board.

But he is easy to work with and gets things done on schedule and under budget.

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2017 6:24 PM

Damn, literally just announced like 10 minutes ago. Scott Buck is fired from "Iron Fist", they are changing show runners.

[quote]Iron Fist may have been renewed for a second season, but there’s a creative shakeup going on behind the scenes. EW has learned the Marvel superhero drama will change showrunners for its next round. Scott Buck (Dexter) is stepping down from the top writing gig on the show with Raven Metzner (Sleepy Hollow, Falling Skies) being hired to fill the top slot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2017 6:28 PM

I didn't think Iron Fist was *that* bad

by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2017 6:30 PM

No, it obviously wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but if you compare it to the first seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones it is an appallingly lesser effort on every front. Not the quality that Marvel or Netflix is trying to go for.

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2017 6:33 PM

I thought it was on a par with Iron Fist and I don't remember that getting the same shitstorm

by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2017 6:35 PM

R34 YES! Now we're talking! See, they [italic]do[/italic] learn.

R36 Yeah, that was always my view as well. No way did it reach the bar that previous Marvel-Netflix shows have set. It looked terrible in comparison and it's only natural to compare them.

by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2017 6:37 PM

"Luke Cage" was the best of the 4 series. It has a unique ambience and was more sophisticated than the others -- thematically and culturally. The score and the soundtrack were amazing. I think it works better than the others as a standalone.

by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2017 6:37 PM

So happy I cancelled my Netflix subscription.

by Anonymousreply 40July 22, 2017 6:38 PM

R39 I just can't with Diamondback (the actor and the character) and that street-fight in the finale, though. Like what the fuck [italic]was[/italic] that?!

Also, three to five episodes too long. Trim the fat and tighten it up. I think that was the main problem people in general had with the show. Well, that and Diamondback coming into the picture instead of the wonderful Cottonmouth staying on.

by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2017 6:42 PM

Yeah the diamondback character really derailed Luke Cage, was much better when we had Mahershala Ali.

Still though parts of it worked really well, and you could feel how much the creative time really cared about what they were doing even when it didn't work. A lot of love went into that show, christ, they even had a Dapper Dan appearance.

by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2017 6:45 PM

R42 Oh yeah, all of that care definitely came through and they did a great job for going in pretty much blind. I'm as excited for its second season as I am for Jessica Jones. Again, I'm sure its showrunners listen to criticism and a lot of the stuff that wasn't working will be smoothed out.

by Anonymousreply 43July 22, 2017 6:51 PM

Clip of Alexandra and Madame Gao plotting.

The subtitles are a weird choice, especially because Gao clearly says three months, not seven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 22, 2017 9:11 PM

I just can't think of the Defenders without the Valkyrie. It needs a 6-foot blonde with steel tits.

by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2017 9:52 PM

Sigourney Weaver is gonna rock this, so happy they brought her on board for this series.

by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2017 9:54 PM

She sounds so good in that trailer. Also, I'm such a whore for costume design and hers look like they'll be [italic]amazing![/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2017 10:46 PM

r41/ r42. Completely agree about Diamondback. That storyline was a deficit. Otherwise, I liked the story and I thought supporting characters were great.

by Anonymousreply 48July 22, 2017 10:57 PM

[quote]I just can't think of the Defenders without the Valkyrie. It needs a 6-foot blonde with steel tits.

You'll have for Thor: Ragnarok for Val.

by Anonymousreply 49July 22, 2017 11:05 PM

This is Valkyrie in the upcoming Thor. . .Tessa Thompson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 23, 2017 2:29 AM

That wimpy little thing is supposed to be the Valkyrie?! A very poor substitute..

by Anonymousreply 51July 23, 2017 12:56 PM

Reviews are coming in

[quote]‘The Defenders’ is the Marvel team-up you hoped for — Iron Fist and all

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 24, 2017 4:57 PM

Though some other reviewers were upset it apparently takes them until the end of episode three before the characters come together.

[quote]‘The Defenders’ Review: Marvel’s Netflix Heroes Assemble, but Not Soon Enough

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 24, 2017 5:00 PM

[quote]Though some other reviewers were upset it apparently takes them until the end of episode three before the characters come together.

Didn't the Avengers only assemble like, two thirds into the movie?

by Anonymousreply 54July 25, 2017 1:51 PM

[quote]OT but I watched the first three episodes of Ozark last night and thus far the show is pretty awesome.

The trailer put me off. The combination of comedy guy Jason Batemen and in this brutal and violent show just didn't sit well with me for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 55July 25, 2017 2:40 PM

Iron Fist (First Season) 's problem is the terrible fighting sequences that look just embarrassing for a show about martial arts. Total rush job in that regard. Finn is easy on the eye. That kept me interested (yeah, shallow bitch here).

by Anonymousreply 56July 25, 2017 2:44 PM

A collection of reviews here.

Slow burn, Alexandra is just another kingpin which no one asked for, worth watching for the chemistry between the team members. All in all, nothing special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 25, 2017 3:46 PM

Finn does look a lot better in a green suit than the mess of whatever he was wearing in the series. I liked 'Iron Fist' enough to finish the first season, working through Jessica Jones now.

by Anonymousreply 58July 25, 2017 3:52 PM

Another review. The series drops this Friday.

[quote]What they, and the series, needs to do is to loosen up a bit. It needn't go full Joss Whedon, but The Defenders needs to know it's not The Wire – it's a superhero team-up series, and it needn't feel shy about that. "Don't say the H word!" Jessica says at one point, while Luke Cage tells somebody else, "Hero's your word, not mine."

[quote]The Defenders is a series that appears so ashamed of its comic book roots that it's forgotten to be fun. What felt tonally fresh two years ago is becoming a stylistic straitjacket now. Maybe it's time for the super-sober small-screen Marvel to borrow some of the lightness of touch of its big-screen siblings. After sticking with this universe for 65 episodes, we could do with a smile.

R58 Did you finish JJ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 15, 2017 5:19 PM

Finn is the reason I disliked Iron Fist. He looks like another pudding-face Leonardo Dicaprio wannabe when I was wanting to see a warrior.

by Anonymousreply 60August 15, 2017 5:37 PM

I didn't really dislike Finn, but I surprisingly found myself liking his druggie corporate 'brother' Ward a lot.

by Anonymousreply 61August 15, 2017 7:09 PM

Cannot wait for this.

by Anonymousreply 62August 15, 2017 7:20 PM

Yep,I know what I'll be doing when I wake up hungover Saturday morning.

by Anonymousreply 63August 15, 2017 7:22 PM

I just realized right this instant that Iron Fist is the same guy who played expert swordswallower Sir Loras Tyrell on GoT!!!! Exciting.

by Anonymousreply 64August 15, 2017 7:23 PM

Congrats on joining the rest of the world r64.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 15, 2017 7:27 PM

While the reviews have been less than stellar (though not bad, just some disappointed feelings), important to note they have only seen the first four of the 8 episodes. The Defenders don't even get together til the end of episode three, who knows how the back half will go.

by Anonymousreply 66August 15, 2017 7:31 PM

Final trailer, featuring a lot more of Sigourney Weaver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 17, 2017 2:17 PM

They need for Trish to put a yellow and blue costume as the happy-go-lucky Hellcat! That would give a much-needed lift.

by Anonymousreply 68August 17, 2017 2:27 PM

People really need to increase their attention spans; a lot seem to be up in arms that it takes 3 episodes to get them in the same scene for a show that will likely run many seasons.

I'm not a kung fu junkie/expert so the fighting scenes in IF were fine by me and I enjoyed the whole season. Couldn't get through LC, hopefully it won't be needed to watch Defenders.

by Anonymousreply 69August 17, 2017 2:42 PM

R69 It has nothing to do with attention span. We've been waiting for these four to team up for [italic]ages[/italic] now; do we really need three episodes of an 8-episode season to set that up?

by Anonymousreply 70August 17, 2017 2:48 PM

Then the advance reviews did you a huge favor, r70. When it's streaming tomorrow, just start with episode 3!

by Anonymousreply 71August 17, 2017 2:53 PM

The reviews are meh. This whole franchise has been about 80% mediocre. The only okay parts were most of Jessica Jones and the first part of the first season of Daredevil. Everything else has been a yawn. Hopefully Sigourney pulls it out.

by Anonymousreply 72August 17, 2017 2:53 PM

R71 I'm a completist so I'll watch the entire season. I'll just fast-forward through the talky and angsty parts. Shouldn't take more than an hour to watch all three like that.

by Anonymousreply 73August 17, 2017 2:56 PM

I finished it, and I really like it. You can tell the writers worked really hard on making Danny tolerable to the audience after getting so much shit for his solo show. Loved the dynamic between Matt and Jessica and Luke and Jessica. I don't think Sigorueney's villain was that impressive, but she was great.

by Anonymousreply 74August 19, 2017 12:52 AM

Finished it just now.

The first episode was talky and angsty, just as I had predicted. And then it blasted off and I loved every moment of it. Until episode 5, when everything ground to a halt (worst episode of the bunch). It picked up again in 6 and 7, with a predictable final showdown in 8.

Luke's entrances being the only one accompanied with hip hop and rap was beyond cringy and ham-fisted. The music in the final showdown was bizarre as well - either the song choice or the sound mixing, something was off.

JJ's contribution amounted to offering cynical quips now and then and she was somewhat underpowered. I imagine the least amount of effort went into writing her character.

Dany continues to spout the same nonsense over and over again, and Finn has only marginally improved his acting chops. He and Bakuto are the worst actors of the bunch. Although, did you spot Gao glancing at cue cards in Alexandra's room? But she's not a native speaker, so I get it.

Alexandra's outfits were amazing but the costume designer should [italic]really[/italic] have given her a bra in that boardroom scene; her nips were pointing three different ways. Not a good look for a grande dame like Sigourney. Though I have to agree with some critics saying the production values of this show aren't the best; they're seriously cutting back in that regard.

A formulaic story, but great, [italic]great[/italic] fight scenes. All in all, it was just okay. Now enough with the fucking Hand, please.

by Anonymousreply 75August 19, 2017 1:00 PM

My theory is that they are going to emulate the Avengers and do a Defenders: Civil War at some point. I don't think that arguement about the building blowing up was coincidental and Elektra is now the Netflix universe Bucky Barnes.

by Anonymousreply 76August 19, 2017 4:39 PM

[quote] R75 JJ's contribution amounted to offering cynical quips now and then and she was somewhat underpowered. I imagine the least amount of effort went into writing her character.

I agree, she wasn't given much to do and given that she went toe-to-toe with Luke Cage in her own series she did seem a bit weak in The Defenders.

But having said that, I thought that having them all together just showed how she is by far the most compelling character even though she wasn't given much to work with.

by Anonymousreply 77August 19, 2017 5:21 PM

R77 She really is. I loved when Gao called her "the unyielding woman." That's exactly what she is! Also, I was hoping we'd see her jump-fly at least once. Oh well, maybe next season.

On a shallower note, JJ's assistant is drop dead gorgeous and seems to have bulked up a bit since JJ's first season. He and Davos should pair up and make beautiful babies who would conquer the world.

Murakami wasn't that bad either. His ass in those silver pants when he brought Alexandra the wine? Oh, my.

by Anonymousreply 78August 19, 2017 5:35 PM

Do you think this they would benefit by going more comic book (like the movies and Agents of Shield) or less? Introduce Moon Knight, Ghost Rider? Add a bit more hybridization? Or just stay the course with different villians?

by Anonymousreply 79August 19, 2017 5:49 PM

I don't know, I wouldn't want for this to get more sprawling than it already is. I kind of like the story being contained to just these four leads and the accompanying sidekicks. I also want each of them to turn up in the other's series now and then. And of course, the Punisher has to make an appearance as well. I [italic]love[/italic] bizarre couplings so I hope he crosses paths with JJ.

Seeing people's responses to Dany's glowing hand makes me a bit worried for the more fantastical characters like Ghostrider and Moon Knight. Remember when someone on DL speculated that Sigourney would play Mephisto? Yeah, I'm thinking they'll be keeping this property more grounded than its cinematic cousins.

Does anyone know what happened to that Stone character we met at the end of season one of Daredevil, when Stick paid him a visit? He's one of The Chaste as well, isn't he?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 19, 2017 6:02 PM

The chemistry between Matt Murdock and Jessica Jones is the bright spot in this show. It's because both characters are played by very talented actors. Charlie Cox is underrated.

Iron Fist looks a bit better as they upgraded his fighting skills but the scene where he walks in and tells Midland Corporation that is over is another Danny immature thing. I've come to realize that the biggest flaw to Iron Fist is Finn Jones. He looks gorgeous but he still acts like a whiny teenager.

by Anonymousreply 81August 19, 2017 6:20 PM

btw, is Finn Jones gay? There's a lot of pics of him drooling over Mike Colter and other guys....barely any pics of women. If he wants to keep his job, his Danny Rand should show more chemistry with Colleen Wing. Jessica Henwick as Colleen is the best thing about Iron Fist and she props up his character.

by Anonymousreply 82August 19, 2017 6:24 PM

I hope they keep it more grounded.. The Netflix universe is really popular with people who find the MCU too fantastical. I am glad that we are (maybe) done with The Hand for now, and hope we can move onto more interesting and complex villains like David Tennant's Kilgrave, the best Marvel villain so far.

Speaking of Jessica's strength, loved the scene of her holding the elevator by the rope-- perhaps she doesn't know the full extent of her strength? She seemed kind of wary about it after she killed Luke's wife.

Can't wait to see what they do with Misty Knight now that she finally lost her arm. Will be good to see her fighting with the Defenders and not against them due to her job. I'm hoping Trish eventually becomes Hellcat at some point.

by Anonymousreply 83August 19, 2017 7:12 PM

Brilliant in-depth review of the season by Grace. Some of her points are scarily similar to my critiques!

Though I have to completely disagree with her take on Sigourney's costumes; but for that golden braless ensemble, I found them to be absolutely gorgeous and without fault. As a huge Project Runway fan and also a huge homosexual on top of that, I'm afraid my opinion on this matter carries the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 19, 2017 7:49 PM

+1 for Hellcat. I think they could use more straight up supervillian next time around,. Doesn't have to be something crazy, but I think we are suffering from kung fu fatigue.

by Anonymousreply 85August 19, 2017 8:10 PM

Yeah, those king fu moves sort of bleed into each other after a while and you need inventive camerawork to make them fresh again. Like Danny's slow-moving fight with Elektra in the cave; that was just a treat to watch.

by Anonymousreply 86August 19, 2017 8:15 PM

SW is almost 70. WHoever does her work is amazing. She looks great, and even has forehead lines.

by Anonymousreply 87August 19, 2017 8:15 PM

*kung fu

R87 I love how she looks as well. Gracefully aged faces are so much easier on the eyes than perfectly ironed out ones, at least for me.

by Anonymousreply 88August 19, 2017 8:19 PM

Ah, I was waiting for Tom&Lorenzo's seal of approval. I feel so vindicated right now. And I questioned my taste levels for a second there. But just for a second.

Just look at how majestic and dignified she looks! Those gloves [italic]are[/italic] terrible, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 19, 2017 11:33 PM

Disappointed it was only 8 episodes.

The "substance" was kind of an annoying McGuffin.

by Anonymousreply 90August 19, 2017 11:51 PM

What was so terrible about her gloves, R89?

I loved her coat, but when she took it off, the dress under it was way beyond ugly.

by Anonymousreply 91August 20, 2017 12:12 AM

Loved Sigourney, loved the series. If there were male nudity it would be even better.

by Anonymousreply 92August 20, 2017 12:17 AM

R91 I just hate oversized puckery leather gloves in general; they look like rubber cleaning gloves, or the ones a worker in the meat packing industry would use, or a veterinarian who's about to give an elephant a rectal exam... you get the gist. Eurgh.

Either give her a properly fitted (and shorter!) pair or choose another material. She deserves only the best, goddamnit!

I've rewatched the scene and we only get a glimpse of what she's wearing underneath that coat. But from what we [italic]do[/italic] see, I have to say, I [italic]love[/italic] the gold-black-grey flowery print on her blouse. So regal and it also mirrors the white roses on the table. Would not mind having a caftan with that print at all.

by Anonymousreply 93August 20, 2017 12:32 AM

r75 your post made me wonder if Ritter and Weaver reminisced about VAMPS !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 20, 2017 1:06 AM

So... four of the five fingers of the hand are dead? Only Madame Gao remains? Is that right?

by Anonymousreply 95August 20, 2017 3:29 AM

Another superhero show. This is what we have come to.

by Anonymousreply 96August 20, 2017 9:15 AM

To be honest for me the season lacked substance. Yeah, Weaver was great at first, but her plot was so thin that I was grateful when she was put out of her misery two episodes before the finale. Maybe I just expect too much of a superhero TV show. I have Ozark in my viewing cue, but still a bit apprehensive to sit down and actually watch it for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 97August 20, 2017 11:07 AM

R97 I hate that she got saddled with such sub-par writing. Everything that should have an emotional punch (her wanting to go home to K'un-Lun, her daughter dying...) was told to us, rather than shown. How can I connect to a character who just relays everything about her via exposition talk? Also, she only got one brief ass-kicking scene even though she was the leader of their group!

Watch Ozark! It's so good.

by Anonymousreply 98August 20, 2017 11:29 AM

R96, why are you in this thread?

by Anonymousreply 99August 20, 2017 12:10 PM

Stunt doubles!

Danny's stuntie looks more like Iron Fist than the scrawny Finn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 20, 2017 12:51 PM

Very glad Madame Gao slipped off quietly. She's one of the best parts of the franchise. I'd watch a Madame Gao series.

I imagine we'll see Alexandra again. She's not dead-dead.

by Anonymousreply 101August 20, 2017 12:53 PM

[quote]I imagine we'll see Alexandra again. She's not dead-dead.

She most certainly is, along with Bakuto and Sowande. It has been established that you don't come back from having your head removed.

Murakami and Gao are the only ones who have any chance of returning.

by Anonymousreply 102August 20, 2017 1:01 PM

They might be back in flashbacks, if the show does flashbacks.

by Anonymousreply 103August 20, 2017 1:03 PM

Or prequels.

by Anonymousreply 104August 20, 2017 1:03 PM

But if this was her first time meeting the heroes then having her in a prequel would be pointless.

by Anonymousreply 105August 20, 2017 1:06 PM

R103 That's possible but I don't imagine a big name like Sigourney Weaver signing on to appear in flashbacks only.

Prequels are more likely. But seeing how people have grown tired of the Hand, I find even that unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 106August 20, 2017 1:06 PM

Couldn't even finish Daredevil Season 1 and did not watched the other Marvel shows

by Anonymousreply 107August 20, 2017 1:28 PM

Luke Cage is hot

by Anonymousreply 108August 20, 2017 1:51 PM

... so Stick is dead too?

Seems to me like, with only Gao left, they kinda have to leave "The Hand" alone from now on. At least for a few years.

by Anonymousreply 109August 20, 2017 2:16 PM

Run of the mill boring. Tried 15 minutes of it. Note to directors: All shows don't have to have rap crap music in them.

by Anonymousreply 110August 20, 2017 5:59 PM

R110, you type old and prissy. I love hip hop, so great.

by Anonymousreply 111August 20, 2017 6:01 PM

R93, I went back and watched the scene in the hospital pre-MRI where she removes her coat. That blouse is much more beautiful now that I've been able to stop the action and see it more closely. It's a beautiful Asian-looking flower print, undoubtedly fine silk. What's most unusual is that it covers her left arm like a normal blouse but the right side is sleeveless and almost looks like a wide-strapped tank top.

I loved SW's wardrobe. They obviously didn't stint on budget when they were dressing her. It helps, both in terms of how well she's aging and how well she wears clothes, that Weaver isn't typical Hollywood anorexic but a healthy-looking weight. Not overweight, but healthy looking.

With everyone else in boots, jeans and hoodies or dark robes and Madame Gao dressed rather frumpily in dark colors, she provides a distinct contrast.

by Anonymousreply 112August 20, 2017 6:25 PM

So... no more "substance"?

No more "Hand"?

No more Stick?

by Anonymousreply 113August 20, 2017 6:46 PM

R113 That's right - no more of any of that.

Of course, Stone still remains unleashed and he won't be happy that Stick's gone.

by Anonymousreply 114August 20, 2017 7:04 PM

What a mess this was. Sigourney was a total waste. Btw, Gao didn't slip off, she was there wHen everything collapsed. It looks as if the Hand is dead. But honestly, who cares. Krysten Ritter almost saved this disaster, but not quite.

by Anonymousreply 115August 20, 2017 10:54 PM

Just when it started to feel epic... it was suddenly very small and suddenly over.

Somehow Murdoch escaped. That was quite a bit of hand-waving there. So obviously Gao escaped. And ... Electra too I assume.

Does that mean people can get down to the now-opened "substance"? I mean, if people can get out, can't others get in?

And if that "substance" (what an annoying McGuffin) exists, then maybe some of those deaths can be reversed?

by Anonymousreply 116August 20, 2017 11:42 PM

R116 No, it has been established that cutting off the head is [italic]the[/italic] end and no amount of substance can bring you back.

And yeah, "the substance" [italic]is[/italic] an annoying MacGuffin; I cringe just typing it out.

by Anonymousreply 117August 20, 2017 11:53 PM

Right, but only TWO of the five got their heads cut off.

One is still alive. The two others might be revived.

by Anonymousreply 118August 21, 2017 12:15 AM

R118 Alexandra, Bakuto and Sowande [italic]all[/italic] had their heads cut off.

by Anonymousreply 119August 21, 2017 12:18 AM

Best part of the series was seeing the beginnings of DAUGHTERS OF THE DRAGON, and the set up for Misty Knight getting her (bionic?) arm.

And FUCK YES Trish needs to go back to her red hair and "Patsy" and become HELLCAT!

by Anonymousreply 120August 21, 2017 2:07 AM

That still leaves one dead guy who can come back, R119.

by Anonymousreply 121August 21, 2017 2:13 AM

It's sounding like we were all watching different shows, so much confusion over what really happened on this show.

More substance was able to be retrieved before the building collapse. The substance was made from the bones of the ancient skeleton (dragon?). Members of the Hand carted off pieces of bone which was likely the back from the dead substance.

by Anonymousreply 122August 21, 2017 2:22 AM

Finished the series.

I enjoyed it, but it was good not great. I'm glad the reviews lowered my expectations going into it.

Sigourney Weaver did feel wasted. A great wardrobe aside, they didn't really give her much to work with.

Krysten Ritter shined. Man this show needed the Jessica Jones character, without her one-liners and no bullshit attitude it never would have worked. You can tell Krysten and Charlie are the better half of actors in the foursome, their scenes together worked so well.

The writers here were able to handle Danny Rand better, they used those traits people found annoying about him and actually made it work in the dynamic and had people call him out on it. Plus on this show he can actually fight unlike the terrible fighting choreography he had on his own series. Mike Colter handled well being the lovable heart of the group.

I expected Rosario Dawson's Claire to figure more prominently in this series given her ominipresence in these shows but she took a decidedly backseat.

Elodie Yung's Elektra played a much bigger role than expected, but I must say she did well. She was an unsung hero in holding this together.

by Anonymousreply 123August 21, 2017 2:59 AM

And yes. Gao and the Japanese hand were there when the building collapsed, but they easily could have survived for another day. And the hand was able to extract some of the "substance" macguffin before the building was brought down.

by Anonymousreply 124August 21, 2017 3:03 AM

[quote]Maybe I just expect too much of a superhero TV show.

The genre of a project does not define the quality of the writing, there is no reason it couldn't have been more.

by Anonymousreply 125August 21, 2017 3:08 AM

I get that there were only 8 episodes and that people REALLY wanted to see the 4 title characters together, but I think the supporting leads on all these shows are the strongest parts and it was strange to see most of them reduced to brief cameos or barely mentioned.

Hopefully, now that they've figured out how to mesh the title characters into one show, they can incorporate the supporting leads into more complex roles next time.

by Anonymousreply 126August 21, 2017 3:47 AM

The supporting characters have their home series to have more complex roles when it is devoted to their individual worlds. It makes sense a Defenders series has to be chiefly focused on the four defenders.

by Anonymousreply 127August 21, 2017 3:55 AM

Karen needs to fucking get over it. So does Foggy. Why does DareDevil have the only secondary characters that DON'T support what he does? Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 128August 21, 2017 4:03 AM

I hate Rosario Dawson, and I hate Rosario Dawson's obnoxious character (who was the worst thing about Iron Fist... and yes I mean worse than Danny rand)

by Anonymousreply 129August 21, 2017 4:04 AM

Really should have had 10 episodes.

You're trying to fit in that many characters? You need more time to develop them and let them breathe.

Virtually every other series was too long. This one was too short.

by Anonymousreply 130August 21, 2017 5:57 AM

Who's watching this shit! Blacks?

by Anonymousreply 131August 21, 2017 6:26 AM

is Deborah Ann Woll in this much?

by Anonymousreply 132August 21, 2017 7:40 AM

R132 She pops up now and then and gets a long-ish scene.

by Anonymousreply 133August 21, 2017 10:45 AM

Which Netflix Marvel show will get a second season next? I believe Jessica Jones was the first Netflix produced, so will it get a second season first, then Daredevil, then Luke Cage and then Iron Fist?

by Anonymousreply 134August 21, 2017 10:50 AM

[quote]More substance was able to be retrieved before the building collapse. The substance was made from the bones of the ancient skeleton (dragon?). Members of the Hand carted off pieces of bone which was likely the back from the dead substance.

R122 Except that's not what happened. Danny clearly stopped the workers from retrieving the substance. Then they were too busy attacking the Defenders to proceed with their work. Plus that place is thirty stories underground with (seemingly) only one lift available to them.

However, seeing how Daredevil miraculously managed to escape, I've no doubt that Gao and Murakami made it out with the substance as well.

by Anonymousreply 135August 21, 2017 10:55 AM

R134 Here you go, sorted by release date.

The Punisher: Season 1 (November 2017)

Jessica Jones: Season 2 (expected early 2018 or summer 2018)

Luke Cage: Season 2 (expected spring 2018 or summer 2018)

Daredevil: Season 3 (expected fall 2018/early 2019)

Iron Fist: Season 2 (expected early 2019 to mid-2019)

by Anonymousreply 136August 21, 2017 10:59 AM

r136, thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 137August 21, 2017 11:09 AM

Ummm I have a silly question. What's Netflix's policy on cancellation then subsequent re-subscription ?

by Anonymousreply 138August 21, 2017 11:11 AM

[quote]To be honest for me the season lacked substance

This is a good way to describe it. It was a fun enough ride but there was no there there.

by Anonymousreply 139August 22, 2017 5:15 PM

R138, I didn't like the date of the automatic payment for my original subscription and called to change it. A Netflix CSR told me to cancel and re-subscribe on the day I wanted. They don't have some kind of draconian policy to punish re-subscribers.

by Anonymousreply 140August 22, 2017 5:36 PM

I don't even understand what r138 is asking.

Obviously it is your right to cancel and start their service whenever you want to.

by Anonymousreply 141August 22, 2017 5:42 PM

You don't have to R141 , R140 answered it :D !

by Anonymousreply 142August 22, 2017 5:55 PM

Tom and Lorenzo weigh in, always interested in their take.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143August 22, 2017 6:20 PM

R143 I've seen their reaction on Twitter as well and it was the same as mine; beyond elated at first and then the novelty wears off and the writing problems start becoming more and more obvious.

by Anonymousreply 144August 22, 2017 6:25 PM

While acknowledging the faults they are still largely positive about it r144, said they are more interested in future Defenders series than individual series because the characters play well off each other.

by Anonymousreply 145August 22, 2017 6:28 PM

[quote]btw, is Finn Jones gay?

He played gay for Game of Thrones and said many times during interviews he is straight.

by Anonymousreply 146August 22, 2017 6:33 PM

So, he's gay r146?

by Anonymousreply 147August 22, 2017 6:34 PM

Personally I doubt it r147.

I do think he is a big druggie, many times during GoT press coverage he seemed on something. How many lines do you think he snorted before this interview?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148August 22, 2017 6:42 PM

Finn is a gross Bernie Bro

by Anonymousreply 149August 22, 2017 6:57 PM

Interview with the showrunner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150August 22, 2017 7:03 PM

That's his [italic]mom?![/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151August 24, 2017 4:04 PM

The show was boring and screenplay was week

by Anonymousreply 152August 24, 2017 4:08 PM

So this dropped a week ago today and the buzz seems to be pretty much over already.

I know that's the nature of binge television but I'm still not quite used to it.

by Anonymousreply 153August 25, 2017 8:17 PM

The show only starts coming together at the end of episode 3, and then the team really forms and the plot finally starts moving.

by Anonymousreply 154August 25, 2017 9:37 PM

[quote]The show was boring and screenplay was week

This is why we can't have nice things. Some illiterate moron always comes along to fuck it up.

by Anonymousreply 155August 25, 2017 9:40 PM

They need to make more The Defenders shows than the individual shows..... the characters playing against each other is one of the brighter spots. What they can do, is make the individual shows shorter like 6 episodes max and The Defenders longer like 10.

Loved the banter between Jessica and Daredevil. They have chemistry, almost a love/hate relationship, even though they are not each other's types, there could be a spark.

by Anonymousreply 156August 26, 2017 10:06 PM

They need to think of a better adversary and conflict for them to face. The appeal of Daredevil and Jessica Jones first seasons is they had strong and interesting characters in Wilson Fisk and Kilgrave.

I was hoping Sigourney Weaver would be a rich adversary that would lead to a compelling show but the writing just wasn't there.

by Anonymousreply 157August 26, 2017 10:27 PM

[quote]They need to make more The Defenders shows than the individual shows..... the characters playing against each other is one of the brighter spots. What they can do, is make the individual shows shorter like 6 episodes max and The Defenders longer like 10.

I think they'd be well advised to at least have a six-episode Iron Fist, a six-episode Luke Cage, and then a ten-episode Heroes for Hire. Luke and Danny together were a sum greater than their parts.

Failing that, find some hot Hong Kong action star to play Shang-Chi, and have him spent every episode of IF S2 shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 158August 27, 2017 11:38 PM

This show came and went so quickly... I doubt it's among the best rated shows on Netflix given the utter lack of buzz.

by Anonymousreply 159August 29, 2017 2:53 PM

Netflix's most popular shows are mostly Marvel shows r159. I'm sure this show did very well for them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160August 29, 2017 3:09 PM

What will Netflix do when Disney takes their Superheroes away?

by Anonymousreply 161August 29, 2017 10:05 PM

Netflix is negotiating to keep the marvel super-hero shows and star wars when Disney pulls everything else.

by Anonymousreply 162August 29, 2017 10:18 PM

Holy shit!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163August 29, 2017 11:36 PM

Is it bad that I cheered when Bakato cut off Misty's arm, since I knew that meant the robot arm was coming?

by Anonymousreply 164August 30, 2017 2:01 AM

I thought the Bakuto was kind of cute and a pretty good actor. Too bad they killed him off.

by Anonymousreply 165August 30, 2017 4:57 AM

The dude who played Bakuto was a terrible actor IMO.

by Anonymousreply 166August 30, 2017 5:14 AM

I thought Luke Cage was terrific! African American issues and references were incorporated in an interesting and unique way: music (great mix of old and new), crime, Luke's unpenetrable skin, his unjust imprisonment, Harlem, families destroyed by violence, racism and black on black crime. I wasn't familiar with the comic book series or character and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Americans have such a difficult time addressing racial issues but this show really did a tremendous job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167August 30, 2017 5:59 AM

Every time they did a close-up of Luke Cage, I couldn't get over how fucking gorgeous he is. I so want to fuck him (and be fucked by him).

And I still want to marry Matt Murdoch.

The Iron Fist can be my bitch boy.

by Anonymousreply 168August 30, 2017 6:15 AM

The scene in JJ where she and Luke reveal their powers to each other is one of the hottest love/sex ever, imo. I especially love the beginning.

Ignore the cheesy music someone added to the clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169August 30, 2017 6:28 AM

R164 No! I cheered as well, especially because I did [italic]not[/italic] see it coming at all. Just like the reviewer at R84 said, that alone almost made the series for me.

by Anonymousreply 170August 30, 2017 10:56 AM

Kinda disappointed to see the huge divide between the movies and the TV shows. I'm sure they want to keep the movies kid-friendly, but still... Hoping that they'll at least give a big hint that Misty's new bionic arm is Stark Tech.

by Anonymousreply 171August 30, 2017 1:50 PM

Grace geeks out over Misty's new arm.

R171 Some of those super cool powers from the comics she lists in this video... yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing any of that stuff, sadly. I even doubt they'll have the arm be made out of vibranium because Bucky already has that schtick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172August 30, 2017 2:01 PM

[quote]Kinda disappointed to see the huge divide between the movies and the TV shows.

In spite of it being the "same universe" you are better off thinking the movies don't exist.

Realistically it silly when we are talking about the complete annihilation of New York and they are the only ones who could stop it...as if the Avengers don't exist and you can't give them a call.

by Anonymousreply 173August 30, 2017 2:19 PM

I was really happy to see All My Children's Debbi Morgan as the mom of the boy Luke was trying to protect. She gave a great performance, like always. Her "all my babies is gone!" wail when she found out the boy had been killed broke my heart.

Let me tell you about Deb Morgan: I wish she worked more often, even if it was just on episodic TV.

by Anonymousreply 174September 1, 2017 1:52 PM

I loved "Luke Cage." "The Defenders" was good, but the other standalones were just OK for me. Still I am looking forward to the next season of all the Marvel shows.

by Anonymousreply 175September 3, 2017 4:17 AM

I liked Iron Fist a lot and think Finn Jones is very cute. Now.... is he gay? He really pings to me.

by Anonymousreply 176September 3, 2017 5:33 AM

Witter is so good as Jessica Jones. But when the hell is Patsy going to become Hellcat?? And in the comics, isn't Colleen Wing a redhead??

by Anonymousreply 177September 11, 2017 5:31 AM

[quote]And in the comics, isn't Colleen Wing a redhead??

I think more significantly Matt Murdock is a redhead in the comics, I'm always surprised the fanboys didn't complain more about that.

Collen Wing is normally depicted with red hair, which doesn't really make sense as she is Japanese, but I guess she likes to dye it red.

by Anonymousreply 178September 11, 2017 1:18 PM

[bold]Netflix ‘Marvel’s The Defenders’ Is Least-Viewed Among Marvel Street-Hero Series in Debut Month in U.S., Study Finds[/bold]

Hmm. This just doesn't seem like it's true for some reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179September 20, 2017 9:42 PM

Netflix fucked it up by forcing it to be a rush-job. Why didn't they just go directly for their desired Defender franchise and then give each hero his own well planned / mapped out "prequel" or "origin" series? People would have totally geeked out about that and then watched the first Defenders release again catching all the easter eggs or nods to the individual shows.

by Anonymousreply 180September 20, 2017 9:48 PM

R180 There are many criticisms aimed at Marvel Netflix shows but yours isn't among the most common. I'd argue that you need origin stories first so that the inevitable team-up has some weight to it. And also satisfaction because these established characters are [italic]finally[/italic] meeting for the first time and the viewers are on edge because they have no idea how they will interact with each other.

Otherwise, you just end up with a Dawn of Justice situation where it all falls flat without the previous groundwork.

by Anonymousreply 181September 20, 2017 9:59 PM

Well they're definitely doing LC 2, but Defenders 2 is up in the air.

by Anonymousreply 182September 20, 2017 10:07 PM

[quote]There are many criticisms aimed at Marvel Netflix shows but yours isn't among the most common.

So people don't call the first season of Iron Fist a rush job to get to the Defenders series?

by Anonymousreply 183September 20, 2017 10:14 PM

It may be that viewers were still trying to catch up on the individual seasons before diving into Defenders.

Defenders wasn't really new viewer friendly and it really would help to have seen the other series. If you didn't get through Daredevil S2 you would have really been lost and missed a lot of things going on. It's a major time investment to follow these.

Plus, the shows have different styles. It's totally possible for many viewers to like one or 2 and be totally hating the others. Defenders might then seem like a waste for them.

by Anonymousreply 184September 20, 2017 10:38 PM

R183 Oh yeah, I was about to mention IF as the sole exception but I ran out of steam. That one [italic]definitely[/italic] should have been skipped* as by that point it had been taking too long to get to the Defenders anyway so they were just dragging it out.

*In my opinion and with hindsight in mind. Others would vehemently disagree as they loved IF.

by Anonymousreply 185September 20, 2017 10:39 PM

Damn that surprises me that the Defenders ratings are lacking compared to the individual series.

I guess no as many viewers watched all four series so didn't want to check out of the Defenders.

by Anonymousreply 186September 21, 2017 12:18 PM

A lot of people think it's because Iron Fist was a shitty lead in and that The Hand has been overdone.

by Anonymousreply 187September 21, 2017 4:46 PM

[quote]Hmm. This just doesn't seem like it's true for some reason.

R179, it totally sounds like it is. I do admit I'm a bit surprised that all other shows had only about one-fourth of the viewership of Daredevil, but then again DD has really been the only good show of the bunch, even though S2 was a disappointment.

The Marvel at Netflix mentality of stretching out a mini-series worthy story into a full season has backfired hugely, and they are now paying the price. I haven't watched The Defenders yet and I'm certainly not rushing to subscribe to Netflix again because of it.

by Anonymousreply 188September 21, 2017 5:04 PM

I thought the series overall was better on second viewing. The weakest plot was Alexandra as the leader of the Hand. She wasn't impressive or ruthless enough and her fixation with Electra was creepy and yielded nothing except the plot twist betrayal. Once you know Alexandra was a one-trick throwaway character, you can just skim over her parts and the series was way more enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 189September 21, 2017 6:59 PM

[quote] I do admit I'm a bit surprised that all other shows had only about one-fourth of the viewership of Daredevil, but then again DD has really been the only good show of the bunch, even though S2 was a disappointment.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's the ONLY good Marvel show. Daredevil has the distinction of being the most known and popular character of the bunch among comic fans and casual viewers. Iron Fist is their only true misfire. I believe had they not carried over so much of its subplots and characters into The Defenders, which at times made it seem like Iron Fist s2, the viewership would have been much better.

The Punisher is debuting on November 17th. I bet that it will do much better in the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 190September 21, 2017 7:33 PM

Jessica Jones was my favorite, is also the one that most people check out first according to Netflix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191September 21, 2017 7:42 PM

R190 I think in the Defenders, Finn Jones grew more into the role of Iron Fist. I think the second season of Iron Fist will be better.

by Anonymousreply 192September 21, 2017 7:42 PM

They seem to be pushing Punisher as a separate part of the Defenders universe. That seems like a strange strategy, but given the viewership levels of the other Marvel shows, it might be smart given that they're really going to ramp up the violence in this one. They can promote this to fans of violent movies who don't need to watch the superhero shows they may have avoided.

by Anonymousreply 193September 21, 2017 7:59 PM

The data at R179 is from the U.S. while the Netflix VP might be talking about global numbers. Or the VP could be lying since Netflix only releases the viewership data when it suits them. In any case there's a huge discrepancy between the two statements since the marketing-analytics firm Jumpshot is saying that Jessica Jones is actually the least watched show of the original four with only 26% of the Daredevil S2's viewership. Jumpshot is only measuring the first 30 days after the release but that's probably not too far from the truth. IF they even are measuring the data correctly that is.

by Anonymousreply 194September 21, 2017 11:20 PM

The first 30 days of JJ was likely low, due to low knowledge of the character, but I've read that it has the highest female viewership of the 4 and that viewership has steadily grown faster for the series as positive word of mouth grew.

by Anonymousreply 195September 21, 2017 11:28 PM

R195, things could obviously be as you say but if I remember correctly people were anxiously waiting for JJ because Daredevil had been so great. Netflix was releasing trailers and hyping up the release so people probably were well aware of the show.

by Anonymousreply 196September 22, 2017 2:57 AM

Defenders suffered from how terrible Iron Fist was.

by Anonymousreply 197September 22, 2017 2:58 AM

Defenders was their lowest viewed marvel show to date, serves them.right for bringing back that terrible elektra actress.

by Anonymousreply 198September 22, 2017 3:00 AM

My only real problem with The Defenders was that it needed a couple more episodes to fill out the ending.... which seemed really rushed, and I kept feeling like scenes were missing.

by Anonymousreply 199September 22, 2017 3:24 AM

R197 I thought he got better. I especially liked when he was all deadpan serious about K'un-Lun and the rest of the team was like uh-huh. I also think he and Colleen finally have some chemistry, especially in their last scene in the Defenders. But I think his power was not showcased well in either the Defenders or his own serious, so I hope the show will improve on that.

by Anonymousreply 200September 22, 2017 3:54 AM

Finn Jones is filming for Luke Cage Season 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201October 19, 2017 2:49 PM

R201 I am starting to like Finn as Iron Fist.

by Anonymousreply 202October 20, 2017 9:00 PM

Uh-oh.

[quote]What did you make of the critical response to The Defenders?

[quote]Well, I think Jessica was pretty well received. People were excited to see her again, so that made us happy because Jessica is the next up. Y’know, I had a great time doing The Defenders and honestly, it was such a good experience that I would even do it again. [bold]I don’t think we are doing it again.[/bold] It was never intentioned to do it again, but, you know, if I was given another opportunity, I would. My heart is with my show because of the subject matter and because of the great drama that we get to do and the personal issues that we explore. For me, that is more the type of content that I enjoy as a viewer and as a performer. My heart is in Jessica Jones, but I did have a great time doing The Defenders with the guys. We had a good time. It is what it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203March 7, 2018 11:20 PM

R203 They can also do Defenders without her... I thought she was sort of out of her league and the dead weight of the team.

by Anonymousreply 204March 7, 2018 11:26 PM

What r204? Man that is a minority opinion for sure r204. Jessica Jones interacting with the other characters was one of the highlights of the Defenders.

Not surprised the aren't rushing to do another run. Reaction to the Defenders was pretty ho-hum, and making it is a lot more complicated than their solo series.

by Anonymousreply 205March 7, 2018 11:41 PM

Also I should point out you seemed to not understand the interview. Ritter said she would be happy to do it again, but she doesn't think Marvel is going to green light another Defenders series.

by Anonymousreply 206March 7, 2018 11:43 PM

204 That's because this series had different (i.e. shittier) writers than the Jessica Jones series and they had no idea how to write her character.

r206 I understood the interview just fine; I posted it because ScreenRant made an article out of it. Keep your condescension to yourself next time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207March 7, 2018 11:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!