Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Steps - Scared of the Dark

I don't know how many people here are familiar with Steps, but they're a UK group of the late 90s/early 2000s who were phenomenally popular with gays and had a string of top 10 hits in Europe and Australia before acrimoniously splitting up in 2001. They had a brief reunion in 2012 followed by a successful tour, but no new music.

Anyway, they've reformed and have a new single out. Lead singer Claire looks great - she got really fat and did a few TV shows about it, but she's really slimmed down - and only H (the annoying gay one) and Lisa have aged that badly. The single is called Scared of the Dark and is quintessential Steps bubblegum silliness, but really rather good too.

by Anonymousreply 40Last Wednesday at 5:13 PM

OP, Thanks so much for introducing me! Honestly, I somehow managed to never know them before, but I thought this was pretty great.

by Anonymousreply 104/15/2017

So Claire has slimmed down again. Surprised the awful H was invited back. Their reunion clips on Youtube are a good watch. Especially the roundtable bitchfest they had at each other.

by Anonymousreply 204/15/2017

That was fun. Didn't know them at all. A good remix would make it kickass.

I'm assuming the gay guy is the one who kept his T-shirt on? That was lame.

by Anonymousreply 304/15/2017

R1 Their gimmick was that each of their songs had a simple dance routine. In any British gay club from 1997 - 2002, if they played a Steps song literally the entire dance floor would do the dance in unison.

This is their signature song, it's a cover of Tragedy by the BeeGees.

by Anonymousreply 404/15/2017

This is them talking about why they split up. I felt sad when it turned out they hated each other.

by Anonymousreply 504/15/2017

I was obsessed with this song as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 604/15/2017

Were they the ones with the TV show?

by Anonymousreply 704/15/2017

Nope, that was S Club 7.

by Anonymousreply 804/15/2017

In Andrea Arnold's Oscar winning short film WASP the main character is a Beckham-worshipping, impoverished young single mum wants a night in the pub with her dream man (played by Danny Dyer!). She can't find a sitter so she takes the kids along and stashes them in the car park out of sight. She can't afford food so she buys them a packet of crisps and performs the dance to Steps' 5,6,7,8 to keep them happy before sneaking back to her man.

by Anonymousreply 904/15/2017

Lee was such a hot piece of ass. I admit I liked Steps' ABBA-lite music but I stuck with them as long as I did because I lusted after Lee.

by Anonymousreply 1004/16/2017

H was a right little cunt. I despised him then, I despised him after watching that reunion programme and I despise him now. Nasty, vicious, evil little Welsh slut. Mind you, I wanted to hug Faye and Claire so much after that. Lisa? Well, no. She always reminded me of a Pekinese...

by Anonymousreply 1104/16/2017

r8, thank you. Completely blanked.

by Anonymousreply 1204/16/2017

Me too R6

by Anonymousreply 1304/16/2017

My fav is It's The Way You Make Me Feel. The dance is dope.

by Anonymousreply 1404/16/2017

Tomasz is a big fan too:

by Anonymousreply 1504/16/2017

Who tf is Tomasz? LUL

by Anonymousreply 1604/16/2017

R16: here ya go -

by Anonymousreply 1704/16/2017

There are previews of the songs on their new album on their instagram page. Story of a Hear is written be Benny Andersson!

by Anonymousreply 1804/16/2017

One of them was in the West End JOSEPH. H, maybe. I'm not sure what he was billed as.

by Anonymousreply 1904/16/2017

R11 It always seemed like Lisa felt very entitled to pop stardom. Which was ironic as she had the weakest voice in the group.

by Anonymousreply 2004/16/2017

Just bumping this to say their album Tears on the Dancefloor managed to get:

#2 Official album chart

#1 Official download album chart

#1 Official sales album chart

#2 Official physical album chart

#7 Official vinyl album chart

#28 Official streaming album chart

Weirdly, their Ultimate Collection re-charted in the top 20 at #16. Meanwhile, Scared of the Dark peaked inside the top 10, but only at #8. Which isn't brilliant, but it had zero radio airplay and the album is selling well, so I doubt they're too bothered..

by Anonymousreply 2104/29/2017

OP, I loved bubblegum pop. Steps, S Club 7 & 8 and less bubblegum type Blue. That's a fun Steps video you posted.

I would have loved for S Club 7 to do new material like Steps. S Club keeps recycling the same songs the few times there has been a reunion. Jo, Bradley and Tina are now doing S Club 3 gigs at pubs. Same songs like S Club Party.

I never could get past Jo O'Meara's racist behaviour and remarks (and chain smoking) on Celebrity Big Brother. Especially when she imitated her accent and laughed! That's why I say "would have loved" if they did new material. She and Bradley have performed at Gay Pride parades but that's not a pass for CBB.

I follow Paul Cattermole on Twitter. He should of had a bigger career.

The video is the embarrassing reunion for SC7 when they performed at a Children in Need fundraiser. Jo's smoking caught up with her.

by Anonymousreply 2204/29/2017

Who the hell would think that racket of noise upon noise in OP's linked video is good stuff?

by Anonymousreply 2304/29/2017

[quote] Who the hell would think that racket of noise upon noise in OP's linked video is good stuff?

I do. Plus, the 17k who gave it a thumbs up on yt. No worries if it's not your brand.

by Anonymousreply 2404/29/2017

This is Story of a Heart, written by Abba.

by Anonymousreply 2505/01/2017

With their risky-dink production values and unthreatening lack of attractiveness, Steps were perfect for people who found Sonia and Big Fun too urban and sophisticated.

by Anonymousreply 2607/18/2017

Was that guy always called "Ian H Watkins", or is the "H" a recent addition to distinguish himself from the lostprophets paedo, Ian Watkins?

by Anonymousreply 2707/18/2017

Back in their prime he just went by "H" but that might have been for the same reason, to avoid confusion with the other Ian Watkins. That guy wasn't a known sex offender then, just in much cooler bands than Steps.

by Anonymousreply 2807/18/2017

Thanks, R28

by Anonymousreply 2907/18/2017

Their new song Neon Blue is out. H is totally looking his age, and they even gave Lee a line!

by Anonymousreply 3008/19/2017

They're currently in concert, supported by Vengaboys, Aqua, and Blue!

by Anonymousreply 31Last Tuesday at 7:15 AM

Is Lee the straight one? If he is, it figures...

by Anonymousreply 32Last Tuesday at 7:36 AM

Who is the fat gay blond?

by Anonymousreply 33Last Tuesday at 7:37 AM

In that reunion video when Lisa said there was favoritism, H turned and replied "I can see why you would think that." I LIVE for shade like that!

Her post-Steps single:

by Anonymousreply 34Last Tuesday at 9:33 AM

This is Lisa's song Electric that ended her solo pop career.

She had taken part in a reality TV show about her trying to get a hit, and she'd agreed to publicity that if she didn't get in the Top 10 hit, she'd quit pop. It duly enterd the chart at, I think, 13, and she was very upset about it. It fucking funny.

by Anonymousreply 35Last Wednesday at 4:33 PM

Why do people hate H?

He's the only one I know since I used to watch Celebrity Big Brother and he was a somewhat funny contestant. He sang a parody version of Never Going to Give You Up and also revealed some gossip about a supposedly womanizing music star who was always propositioning him. I'd never even heard of Steps, but they were never popular in the U.S.

CBB was also where I first heard of "Lady Sov," but I'm pretty sure that was a seperate year. She seemed quite nice in spite of her allegedly "difficult" reputation.

Speaking of CBB, WTF ever happened to "Basshunter?" Is he still a thing?

by Anonymousreply 36Last Wednesday at 4:46 PM

Wow you just sent me hurtling down memory lane OP. I remember Steps...and S Club 7, Vengaboys, Aqua, and of course 5ive. I never liked any of them but I will admit I seem to remember most of their songs.

by Anonymousreply 37Last Wednesday at 4:46 PM

R36 I think Basshunter gave up singing a few years ago and produces now.

by Anonymousreply 38Last Wednesday at 4:58 PM

Thanks, r38.

by Anonymousreply 39Last Wednesday at 5:11 PM

R39 He also hit his 30s hard.

by Anonymousreply 40Last Wednesday at 5:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!