Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Watching Urban Cowboy on HBO Demand

I was in junior high when this came out. Forgot all the good tunes in the soundtrack and how cute Travolta used to be.

by Anonymousreply 38February 24, 2020 4:08 AM

He was pretty but dumb

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2017 9:10 AM

Debra Winger was great in this, as was Scott Glenn.

Just a few years apart, Travolta starred in two movies that had a major impact on popular culture. The cowboy look was suddenly "in" thanks to Urban Cowboy. It didn't hurt Willie Nelson any, but he was too stoned to notice.

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2017 9:22 AM

Scott Glenn was hot and not dumb:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2017 12:20 PM

John Travolta (in his prime, obviously) just seems like he was one of the last real movie stars (someone you would consider a "real" movie star in the traditional sense).

He had "Saturday Night Fever", "Grease", and "Urban Cowboy" pretty close together.

It's hard to think of a male "star"/famous young movie actor today that's the same age as Travolta was during his most successful period and that has started in that many equally zeitgeisty movies that drove audiences crazy, changed the culture, and brought in tons of cash at the box office...

(Not to even mention that at that time, Travolta also had charisma *for days*--something that a lot of current "stars" are sorely lacking in).

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2017 1:21 PM

I remember watching it in 1981 and wondering what all the fuss about Travolta was, when white-hot Scott Glenn was all I could see.

But that's just me. Travolta is a good actor, but I just don't get that "Daaammmnn, baby, can we fuck RIGHT NOW" vibe when I see him. Hell, I think Barry Corbin has more raw masculine sex appeal than Travolta in the film. In that Texas oilfield trash good ole boy way.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2017 1:29 PM

I thought Scott Glenn was gross looking in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2017 2:08 PM

Debra Winger OWNED that part as Sissy. One of the best castings ever in a film. It's really incredible that Travolta really a run of three great films and the bottom fell out of his career until Look Who's Talking and another Oscar nom for Pulp Fiction. He probably thought everything he touched would turn to gold after Urban Cowboy. Turned out one film was worse than the next for him in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2017 2:30 PM

Had a run I meant ^^

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2017 2:31 PM

[quote]He had "Saturday Night Fever", "Grease", and "Urban Cowboy" pretty close together.

Not close enough

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2017 2:55 PM

It helped my career

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2017 2:55 PM

LOL. I need more coffee. I read that as "Midnight Cowboy" and said, 'WaitWhat? Travolta wasn't in "Midnight Cowboy!"

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2017 3:03 PM

"you see this ring, Tattoo? That means she's married!" I thought Glenn was hot in it too, I was grossed out when he drank the worm though. Also hot was Madolyn Whoever, the rich girl who fucked JT and took credit for cleaning their filthy trailer.

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2017 8:23 PM

The acting was great. They all did an awesome job playing dumbasses.

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2017 8:31 PM

Plus Travolta was hot on Welcome Back Kotter. I was a little kid when that show was on and I had church group on Thursday nights and all us would be so bummed we were missing the show (that was way before we had a VCR).

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2017 9:03 PM

Travolta played a mouth breather in Kotter, Grease, Saturday Night Fever, and Urban Cowboy.

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2017 9:04 PM

I wonder why Debra Winger didn't get an Oscar nomination for this. She got a Golden Globe nod.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2017 1:46 AM

Debra was difficult to work with

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2017 2:25 AM

I forget how cute Debra Winger was

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2017 11:21 PM

Debra Ugly Winger.

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2017 11:27 PM

r18 She totally was! And she is the originator of the abbreviated, "k" that we all say instead of "okay".

by Anonymousreply 20April 20, 2017 2:43 AM

^^^for that alone she deserved to be sent to career Siberia.

by Anonymousreply 21April 29, 2017 12:19 PM

Madolyn Smith, r12. She's not acting anymore. Madolyn retired from the business years ago. She is a devout Christian by the way.

by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2017 1:04 PM

Madolyn Smith was pretty, the cleft chin and all..but she looked kinda like a vacuous bimbo. Her eyes were so wide set, she must have 360° peripheral vision.

Debra Winger has always been a great actress, just not a very pretty one. She was laughable when she guest starred on Wonder Woman alongside the gorgeous, statuesque Linda Carter. Winger had the very non athletic running style of a headless chicken..with wings. Omg.. it was bad.

by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2017 1:38 PM

Debra is the modern day version of Bette Davis or Barbara Stanwyck, especially the latter. Not classically beautiful, but lots of sex appeal and raw natural talent.

by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2017 5:06 PM

Great soundtrack in that movie. I remember after UC came out, lots of sprawling country bars like Gilleys opened up and mechanical bull riding riding was all the rage. You can even rent them now, though I'd want no part of that liability.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 29, 2017 6:38 PM

Yeah the soundtrack with its excellent pop/country tunes is flawless. I was 13 and lived in Houston when it opened down here. HUGE deal in this city. My uncle even took us to Gilleys and I got on the bull albeit slow speed. lol

by Anonymousreply 26April 29, 2017 6:51 PM

Perspective on the 35th anniversary of the movie and the whole scene in Houston that inspired the movie. There was even more drama behind the scenes of the club than the movie, looked like Mickey Gilley got too big for his britches and the club burned down under "suspicious circumstances." Then the boom went bust and the whole scene vanished overnight. Classic Texas story, should be the sequel:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 29, 2017 8:14 PM

Madolyn Smith reminds me of a darker Jessica Simpson, same cleft chin.

by Anonymousreply 28May 1, 2017 5:07 PM

Great article, R27!

by Anonymousreply 29May 1, 2017 7:18 PM

Debra Winger was terrific in "Urban Cowboy" -- totally a star-making performance. I remember (yes, I'm old) her glam cover and photos in "Interview" magazine around that time. Haven't watched it in years, wonder how it holds up!

by Anonymousreply 30July 9, 2017 9:44 PM

"You can't expect a man like me to be faithful to any woman, honey."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 9, 2017 9:50 PM

Not a huge Travolta fan. I did like Pulp Fiction.

R4 - Just off the top of my head I can think of two other young men who fit your description for "real movie star" post Travolta. Matt Damon and Daniel Radcliffe. Certainly Robert Pattinson also fits the description.

by Anonymousreply 32July 9, 2017 10:42 PM

Madolyn Smith always looked Greek to me. She was in one of the best TV movies ever! Deadly intentions where she Matrries a psychopath who likes to take pictures of her as he does all this stuff to scare her. If you can find it on you tube it's a must see!

by Anonymousreply 33July 9, 2017 10:53 PM

I developed a major crush on Scott Glenn after I saw this movie, damn he was hot! I found out that he was about ready to quit acting before he got this role, and it seems to have made his career. He's still working, 35 years and a lot of wrinkles later.

And while this movie may have been "zeitgeisty" at the time, it's not a very good movie. Sure it's sexy and the ambiance is interesting, but it's about two immature twerps who you don't root for because they don't seem to care much for each other and they obviously don't make each other happy. Why make a film about them? All they're going to do is keep breaking up until there's a pregnancy, and that may keep them together but it won't stop them fighting all the time.

by Anonymousreply 34July 10, 2017 1:07 AM

Jerry Hall and her sister, Cyndy Hall, had small parts in this film. They were the "sexy sisters" in the bar who wanted to take "Bud" home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 10, 2017 1:16 AM

From IMDb:

According to Debra Winger's book, she only got the part after Sissy Spacek, who originally was cast, had a falling out with Travolta.

P.J. Soles auditioned for the part of Sissy.

by Anonymousreply 36July 10, 2017 1:26 AM

Urban Cowboy came out when I was in 8th grade. By the time I was old enough to watch 'Saturday Night Fever' and 'Urban Cowboy' I was disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 37July 10, 2017 1:56 AM

Good lord, I am watching this right now and Travolta never looked hotter. Even better than in Grease and SNF.

by Anonymousreply 38February 24, 2020 4:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!