Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has "Modern Family" jumped the shark?

Did anyone watch last night's (3/29) episode. It was really awful.

Cam and Mitch are getting campier and more unlikeable. Actually, they're ALL getting annoying, especially that creepy 45 year old weatherman dating the young 20s daughter.

And don't get me started on Manny. That kid will never be good looking.

by Anonymousreply 100March 12, 2018 6:08 PM

I've never watched more than 10 minutes of that show. The cartoon gays are utterly offensive.

by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2017 10:56 PM

I guess last night's premise was four self contained 5 minute long vignettes? It didn't work, none of the stories were interesting and most of the best episodes involve more interaction between the various characters and interconnected plots and subplots.

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2017 10:57 PM

I just checked. It's only on season 8!?! I feel like it's on it's 15th season.

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2017 10:58 PM

The drugged Cam and Mitch scenes were the only funny parts of the episode. Cuidado!

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2017 11:01 PM

Cam and Mitch have always been hysterical and remain hysterical to this day. Ferguson is a fantastic actor who has been robbed of an Emmy time and time again. I've watched every single episode of Modern Family and he's consistently the funniest one.

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2017 11:03 PM

R4 No, that was the worst storyline. WAY too farcical. If you found it funny you probably also like laugh tracks.

by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2017 11:05 PM

Manny's mother is Sofia Vergara and his father is Benjamin bratt? How's that believable?

by Anonymousreply 7March 30, 2017 11:09 PM

It was repulsive gay clown minstrel show from the start. They even pushed "transkids " on it.

by Anonymousreply 8March 30, 2017 11:22 PM

I loved the show for many seasons, but it seems to have run its course, as many series do when they get this old. On the other hand, my other favorite sitcom, The MIddle, is as good as ever.

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2017 11:41 PM

I have to agree the latest episode was rather weak, but I think the final part with Haley was pretty interesting (with her breaking up with Nate Fillion's character after she realized she couldn't commit the way he wants her to).

by Anonymousreply 10March 30, 2017 11:55 PM

Have been a longtime fan of the show, but last night's episode was probably their worst to date. The show has absolutely run out of ideas -- usually the talented cast can "elevate" less-than-wonderful material, but the writing has now really fallen off. There's not much the cast can do to save it anymore.

As a fan of the show, I hope they either end it before it really comes apart, or alternatively, radically reinvent the show in some way -- new permanent characters, saying goodbye to other characters, altering the central relationships, etc. It's a long shot that may not work, but it would be better than a show running on fumes.

by Anonymousreply 11March 31, 2017 12:07 AM

Pretty sure the shark was jumped seasons ago.

by Anonymousreply 12March 31, 2017 12:07 AM

I'm surprised this isn't the last season. With Manny and Luke graduating from high school, it would be the perfect time. The youngest of the "older kids" moving on to adulthood. It's completely unrealistic that people the age of Hailey and Alex would be around their family so often. It only works when the children are young enough where their only option is living at home. Also, the actress that plays Lily grew into a horrible actress. Manny's schtick is only funny when it's personified by a 10 year old. With an 18 year old, it loses the humor completely. They've had a good run. Let the show go.

by Anonymousreply 13March 31, 2017 12:10 AM

Lilly, Luke, Manny, why is it that the actors who play them are really good when they're young and awful actors as puberty hits? I mean how does talent just go away for most child actors?

BTW, I think the show jumped the shark season 6.

I think The Middle jumped the shark when the youngest wasn't young anymore. He's so odd that it was only funny and cute in a little kid. I know the boy has some kind of condition in real life that keeps his body and voice that way and that would be okay in a drama, in a comedy, he's just not funny. I'm sick of Axel and Sue too.

Back to MF, I can watch reruns of the show when the kids were younger but can hardly get through most of the newer ones once and this season I hardly bother to record. Also I'm not a big fan of the Phil and Clair characters and 3/4 of the show is about them. I still like Cam and Mitchel but agree that the child who plays Lily is getting awful.

Has anyone watched that Best Housewife in America or whatever it's called with the woman who played Molly's thin sister on Mike and Molly now the supposedly fat star of this show. For some reason now her voice has gotten really annoying and she's not really fat, only compared to the size 0s in her neighborhood. I read that the original title of the show was The fattest housewife in America. How stupid would that have been with an actress who is at most slightly chubby, maybe a size 14 at most. Also except for the youngest daughter the kids on that show and the husband suck.

by Anonymousreply 14March 31, 2017 12:24 AM

Wow, I forgot the show was still on the air

by Anonymousreply 15March 31, 2017 12:41 AM

They need to pull the plug now. Tonight's episode was to absolute worst. Nolan Gould was extra gay though.

by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2017 2:58 AM

I'm pretty sure both of the young female actresses are ready for the next stage of their careers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 30, 2017 3:09 AM

I stopped watching years ago. Has it gotten funny again?

by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2017 3:10 AM

There is suppose to be a luke coming out scene

by Anonymousreply 19November 30, 2017 9:57 AM

It's really too bad that it's lost its charm and gotten tired. It was very inventive and clever how the stories were interwoven. Befuddled Luke and deadpan Lily were hysterical when they were younger. Manny was always, at best, tolerable.

US tv series always outlast their welcome.

by Anonymousreply 20November 30, 2017 10:37 AM

its been formulaic comedy all along, while unique in style and delivery - now it’s just not fresh. They’ve relied on household ensemble situations, which has a shorter life as children grow up.

by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2017 10:55 AM

It's been bad for several seasons now. Portraying Luke as a straight horndog is painful to watch given how clearly gay the actor is. Flashbacks to Danny Pintauro on Who's the Boss? The kid who plays Manny was always an overacting ham and still is. Lilly could be funny when she was young because her stiff line-readings helped create a kind of deadpan sarcasm in the character. But now she's just an awkward-looking adolescent who still can't act. And the little kid playing Gloria and Jay's kid is terrible and annoying.

But even aside from the kids' bad acting the show is tired. I still watch sometimes and it's amazing how unfunny it is and how unlikable the characters have gotten.

by Anonymousreply 22November 30, 2017 11:25 AM

They should have an episode where The Golden State Killer visits Mitch & Cam, one dark & stormy night.

by Anonymousreply 23November 30, 2017 11:26 AM

Never bought that Manny is into girls. Such a kaween. Similarly I’d want to bitch slap Cam - violently with a brick most likely.

by Anonymousreply 24November 30, 2017 11:37 AM

When will this stupid show be cancelled? i finally stopped watching it during the last season and never give it a second thought.

by Anonymousreply 25November 30, 2017 12:41 PM

I agree with R12. The shark was jumped a couple seasons ago, although I can't pinpoint exactly which episode it was.

by Anonymousreply 26November 30, 2017 12:44 PM

I keep watching because of Ty Burrell. No matter how horrible the script might be he can turn chicken shit into chicken salad.

Plus when Ed O'Neill is really getting into a scene a little Al Bundy pops up and that's always a nice surprise.

by Anonymousreply 27November 30, 2017 1:04 PM

There's something about Ferguson that is just a terrible actor. He gets on my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 28November 30, 2017 6:51 PM

Once MF ends, we can finally see Ed return as Al Bundy on Netflix or Hulu in Still Married with Children.

by Anonymousreply 29November 30, 2017 7:45 PM

r28 I don't think he is acting..its just his true self on set

by Anonymousreply 30November 30, 2017 7:51 PM

Poor Nolan only had one line last night. They really are Jonathan Bower'ing him.

by Anonymousreply 31December 8, 2017 11:15 PM

It's still on? I'll join the cast to keep it going.

by Anonymousreply 32December 8, 2017 11:59 PM

I keep watching it, even though it's not the slightest bit funny anymore. None of the characters are believable human beings. And they really used to be. But alas, this is what happens to aging sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 33December 9, 2017 12:08 AM

They should spin Cam and Mitch off into their own series called "Bear Bottoms".

by Anonymousreply 34December 9, 2017 12:14 AM

I agree with R33 but Ty Burrell's performance still makes me laugh. Phil Dunphy doesn't make me laugh. Nutshell.

by Anonymousreply 35December 9, 2017 12:28 AM

Manny and Lilly grew into really weird looking kids. What's her face who plays Gloria is too old for the bangs. She doesn't look so good anymore. I never could stand Phil and Clair and most of the show is about them. Mitch and Cam have become cliched and boring. It was cute when Lilly was little. The show jumped the shark about 3 years ago. I can't believe they will get another season out of it. At least the Middle will be gone and it's actually better than MF now, but not worth another season either. Shows that depend on young kids as characters usually jump the shark when the kids become teens. Think back as far as shows like Father Knows Best and Leave it to Beaver. Was the show good once "Kitten" and "The Beaver hit those teen years, no way.

by Anonymousreply 36December 9, 2017 12:36 AM

I used to really like Julie Bowen as high strung Claire; she was high strung in a somewhat believable way. Now she's screechingly unfunny and her behavior on the show actually makes me feel anxious. Mitch and Cam never bothered me the way I know they bothered so many people here, but now they seem like they really hate each other and it makes me sad.

The fact that they've tried to make Luke a "player" doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that he's pretty much a sociopath. The other kids don't bother me.

Why the fuck do I keep watching this crap.

by Anonymousreply 37December 9, 2017 12:57 AM

Luke had a radically different hairstyle this week.

by Anonymousreply 38December 9, 2017 2:00 AM

iirc, the first Lilly was such a non-actress that she was replaced by another toddler. She was supposed to have been an improvement. Gloria is shrill and just shouts most all of her lines. Who writes the gay content for Mitch and Cam? Do the writers have a consultant or is one of them gay? With her huge teen jugs, the brainy middle kid should decamp, say it was all a ruse, and run off and become a pole dancer.

by Anonymousreply 39December 9, 2017 10:31 AM

This season Nolan Gould has the least lines or screen time of any of the regular cast. He's been getting hotter each new season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 9, 2017 11:32 AM

I don't watch the show but it was on last night and I thought about the Nolan threads on DL. At this point it's clear that he's gay just from the inflection in his voice, I only saw a minute of it but one word was enough. As sure as one can be about such things based on something like that..

by Anonymousreply 41December 9, 2017 12:20 PM

They argue more than anything else, it is a little off putting.

by Anonymousreply 42December 9, 2017 12:26 PM

I think the older kids need to move on. I like the adults but not the constant bickering.

by Anonymousreply 43December 9, 2017 12:32 PM

Cam's sister needs to go. They don't need her and she's not funny.

by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2017 12:38 PM

"Life in Pieces" is the new "Modern Family". It's much funnier.

by Anonymousreply 45December 9, 2017 12:39 PM

[quote]Portraying Luke as a straight horndog is painful to watch given how clearly gay the actor is. Flashbacks to Danny Pintauro on Who's the Boss?

He could have at least modeled himself after Chad Allen, who could actually act and was on [italic]Webster[/italic], one of this show's ancestors, in addition to being the voice of Charlie Brown and Tommy Westphall on [italic]St. Elsewhere[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 46December 9, 2017 12:44 PM

r45=Barbra Joan Streisand

by Anonymousreply 47December 9, 2017 4:35 PM

R45 does it have any gay story lines?

by Anonymousreply 48December 9, 2017 9:23 PM

Last Wednesday's ep Luke was in the kitchen with Claire and Phil and didn't have one line which seemed bizarre considering the scene. His only line was:

[quote]Oh Uncle Cam. Like

Joe gets more dialog than Luke.

by Anonymousreply 49December 11, 2017 3:44 PM

[quote] Joe gets more dialog than Luke.

Joe is a better actor.

by Anonymousreply 50December 11, 2017 3:59 PM

I can't believe they just renewed it for another two seasons. It really needs to DIE already. Not funny anymore. Characters are now unlikable.

by Anonymousreply 51December 11, 2017 4:17 PM

ABC likes the ratings and the Emmys and it will keep Modern Family on forever, until one or more of the lead actors die.

by Anonymousreply 52December 11, 2017 4:19 PM

Doesn't this show just kind of jump back and forth over the shark at all times?

by Anonymousreply 53December 11, 2017 4:24 PM

How the hell is the guy who plays Manny STILL fat and ugly? He's rich as fuck now, hire a personal trainer and plastic surgeon already.

by Anonymousreply 54December 11, 2017 4:27 PM

But he's got a cougar now!

by Anonymousreply 55December 11, 2017 4:30 PM

And is that awful "side part" in his hair just a shaved line?

by Anonymousreply 56December 11, 2017 4:31 PM

It's been awful since the oldest daughter graduated high school.

I loved it up until then. Can't stand it now.

by Anonymousreply 57December 11, 2017 4:36 PM

Didn't she get a breast reduction? They're still huge!

by Anonymousreply 58December 11, 2017 5:04 PM

If you're talking about Alex I think they grew back. They look bigger again to me too. She didn't get fatter, just boobier.

by Anonymousreply 59December 12, 2017 1:35 AM

[quote]She didn't get fatter, just boobier.

I love you R59

by Anonymousreply 60December 12, 2017 3:39 PM

r57 Alex is the younger daughter. The elder (not "oldest") daughter is Haley.

by Anonymousreply 61December 12, 2017 4:12 PM

I seriously hope the final episode od thia show takes place at Mannys funeral. The kid cant act and is as ugly as fuck. Every time hes on the screen i have to fight the urge to kick it in. Joe cracks my shit up though.

by Anonymousreply 62December 12, 2017 4:35 PM

[quote] It's been awful since the oldest daughter graduated high school.

My favorite character was her on-and-off boyfriend Dylan who was dumb as a rock. He was very funny...and gay in RL although that had nothing to do with anything.

by Anonymousreply 63December 12, 2017 5:18 PM

I will not watch this show again until and unless they do a very special episode about detransitioning and those responsible for destroying that kid's life are brought to justice.

by Anonymousreply 64December 12, 2017 5:33 PM

Stop watching. Stop giving them your time and ... money essentially.

by Anonymousreply 65December 12, 2017 5:34 PM

MF jumped the shark with the introduction of that shitty little robot, Joe, the son of Al Bundy and Joe Mangianello's wife (the Vergara woman). God, I hate that kid! Every time he says a line, he projects, "look how fucking cute I am." Where is Jeffrey Dahmer now that we need him?

by Anonymousreply 66December 12, 2017 6:36 PM

I can never tell if the freak "jenn-durr" troll is serious or a parody

by Anonymousreply 67December 12, 2017 6:56 PM

R67 reveals the bigotry of transcult supporters and sympathizers with the use of even more slurs and epithets, proving the whole thing is inherently bigoted from stem to stern.

by Anonymousreply 68December 12, 2017 7:03 PM

At least [italic]Fresh off the Boat[/italic] had a wonderful coming out episode for Allison. That's the only current live-action American sitcom I watch.

by Anonymousreply 69December 12, 2017 7:04 PM

Long, long ago.

by Anonymousreply 70December 12, 2017 7:10 PM

Yeah, still can't tell...

by Anonymousreply 71December 12, 2017 7:12 PM

R67, read this by another Lily before you run your mouth off again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 12, 2017 8:11 PM

[quote]Was the show good once "Kitten" and "The Beaver hit those teen years, no way.

The show ended before Jerry Mathers was a teenager. He wanted out of the show so he could have a normal high school life. The show couldn’t go on without him, so they finished with a retrospect/flashback episode, which was apparently a first for a tv series.

by Anonymousreply 73December 12, 2017 11:37 PM

R73 I looked it up, Mathers was 14 going on 15 when the show ended in 1963. Tony Dow was 18.

by Anonymousreply 74December 13, 2017 12:13 AM

Nolan had many lines last night and a scene than involved sniffing his sister's shoe.

I hope he's getting paid a lot.

by Anonymousreply 75December 14, 2017 10:02 PM

I was very disappointed Luke wasn't selling his own shoes to internet pervs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76December 16, 2017 2:21 AM

So pleased this thread has been bumped! Just binge watched the first half a dozen episode of the latest season with my boyf last night. Both were tired and wanted sonething light and mindless.

It still has flashes of what made it very funny to begin with - but have to agree it has jumped the shark.

Especially when we got the episode that had the Coldplay/former goop partner guy doing a guest spot. It was awkward and went on way too long. Kind of embarrassing to watch. Reminded me of all those endless cameos that started happening on Will & Grace towards the end of its run. Aren’t eextraneous guest starring spots a sure fire sign of the shark having been jumped?

But the thing that got me the most - holy fuck! - The Columbian Bombshell and the Anglo blonde have both had serious work done. At times their faces are really distracting now. And the Gloria/Vergara woman looks so thin - except for the most enormous jugs evah! Think she’s had them done too...?

Seriously - they are both really great looking women. And they’re begining to look like they’re been in a car crash or a fire or something. Their faces don’t even really look that much like themselves anymore. What Hollywood does to women is fucking horrible. (Unless - maybe I missed an episode where the both of them went and had cosmetic surgery together? Is it part of the plot?)

by Anonymousreply 77December 16, 2017 3:26 AM

r76 I'm surprised he wasn't selling his used underwear.

by Anonymousreply 78December 16, 2017 3:50 AM

It seems like this isn't a comedy anymore, but I'm not sure what it is instead...

by Anonymousreply 79December 16, 2017 4:02 AM

r72, wow that was great! I bookmarked that to send to some friends, very powerful stuff and I bet it all comes true and I kind of want it to for those assholes who wear shirts that say "I beat up TERFs" but as a woman I would suffer too.

by Anonymousreply 80December 16, 2017 4:43 AM

Nolan was so adorable on Wednesday's episode. He's going to make some lucky guy very happy.

by Anonymousreply 81January 5, 2018 9:55 PM

Red headed dude makes it completely unwatchable. The other segments were fun for a while, but I would always fast forward through his part.

by Anonymousreply 82January 5, 2018 10:04 PM

12 year old girl: How old were you when you kissed a boy?

Pam: A people boy?

by Anonymousreply 83January 5, 2018 10:13 PM

With every passing episode, Claire becomes more shrill.

It's kind of amazing. Every time, I think "she can't possibly crank it up higher than this" then the next episode she does it!

by Anonymousreply 84January 17, 2018 12:06 AM

R84 It's the only way she can stand out from the cast as the audience is so used to her being shrill constantly.

by Anonymousreply 85January 17, 2018 12:16 AM

Manny is a triple threat - can't act, can't sing and is not good looking.

His acting continues to sound like he's standing up in class reading a 12- minute long essay. Even Nolan has managed to acquire some comedic timing by virtue of hanging out in a professional set (I doubt acting classes are involved) and, for safety, developed a killer body.

With Manny, ... crickets. Why is it that they give him the longest lines?! Is it because when they were all young he could memorize them the fastest and then spit them out like a robot? (He still does).

by Anonymousreply 86January 17, 2018 12:27 AM

The adults are even worse than the kids. How do they manage to make even Gloria not funny anymore? And "screech" is the word and not just for Claire (an actress I love). Cam and Mitch are pathetic now. Even Phil is losing his touch. And who the fuck is that stupid fat sister character and why is she always around? Awful.

The first few seasons were gold though.

by Anonymousreply 87January 17, 2018 1:05 AM

I tried sitting through the last season but all I can think about is eating Nolan Gould's ass.

I LOVE his nelly, lispy voice.

by Anonymousreply 88January 17, 2018 1:11 AM

He's legal now, r88

by Anonymousreply 89January 17, 2018 1:12 AM

Funny how so many if he young male actors have tourney out to be (or be assumed to be) gay.

by Anonymousreply 90January 17, 2018 1:14 AM

Tonight's episode was mostly funny. Phil, Gloria and Manny searching for Luke in a formerly sketchy, now hipster neighborhood and Haley's interview with a Goopy Mira Sorvino actually made me laugh. The gays, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 91January 18, 2018 3:24 AM

If they really were a "modern family" then they would not have kicked Fred Savage out of their bed...

by Anonymousreply 92January 18, 2018 4:18 AM

For the love of God, PLEASE make Ted McGinley a series regular on this show, pronto!

by Anonymousreply 93January 18, 2018 4:29 AM

Fred Savage was adorable! I don't get why he'd want to sleep with those two though.

by Anonymousreply 94January 18, 2018 3:51 PM

Yeah, about six seasons ago.

by Anonymousreply 95January 18, 2018 3:59 PM

I hate the fat bitch Ariel or whatever her name is on the show she is such a disgusting slore. I hate seeing articles saying "sexy" or "little to the imagination" when referring to her.

by Anonymousreply 96January 18, 2018 6:13 PM

R91 agreed it was funny. When the vato looking guy with the beard walks up and says, "Hey!" then offers them food samples I busted up. Then Phil immediately getting stuck on the roof with Luke was funny too.

Of course Luke and Phil snuggling on the couch was boner inducing.

by Anonymousreply 97January 18, 2018 8:32 PM

Minstrel show.

by Anonymousreply 98January 18, 2018 8:43 PM

I won't watch it anymore, it's really gone off the rails. I watched the recent Valentines episode and was disgusted when Gloria and Jay's ugly little kid (not Manny, the younger one) started putting the moves and getting sexy with Claire -- his supposed half-sister. WTF?! It was so difficult to watch.

by Anonymousreply 99March 12, 2018 5:46 PM

Love Claire trying her best Michelle Pfeiffer impersonation (Fabulous Baker Boys) and then crashing through the empty boxes that were propped up to look like a piano under a cover.

by Anonymousreply 100March 12, 2018 6:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!