Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are you guys listening to S-Town?

I'm about half-way through.

by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2018 5:17 PM

I finished this on Saturday. It was amazing. Is no one on DL listening??

by Anonymousreply 1April 4, 2017 7:31 PM

There is another thread with responses

by Anonymousreply 2April 4, 2017 7:51 PM

I thought it was okay, not amazing.

I found the guy rather unlikeable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 5, 2017 12:14 AM

I'm really entertained, listened to the first two episodes so far.

John was such a DLer! I swear I can even think of some posts that were probably from him.

by Anonymousreply 4April 5, 2017 10:52 PM

[quote]John was such a DLer! I swear I can even think of some posts that were probably from him.

I don't think the dates work out for him to have been ELEOP, but...

by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2017 1:35 AM

He was a product of his environment, which was an unlikeable one. I'm partway through it.

by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2017 2:34 AM

I am closeted (mostly) and 48 years old. S-town is basically my story. It is quite remarkable how closely my life and situation resemble John's from the podcast. I swear to God, the parallels are eerie. By the end of episode 4, the thought occurred to me "Is someone fucking with me here?"

Two people who I'm out to had the same reaction- that this main character is me, with a few changes.

by Anonymousreply 7June 14, 2017 6:28 AM

R7, please try to avoid (Spoiler Alert!) swallowing cyanide, or drain cleaner, or whatever it was the poor guy offed himself with.

Sounded very unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 8June 14, 2017 6:33 AM

R8 one of the few differences between the John in the podcast and me (also John!) is that I'm way too much of a pussy to off myself.

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2017 2:05 AM

I've been listening to it on a long drive with my boyfriend. John is such a fascinating person.

by Anonymousreply 10July 2, 2017 4:46 PM

[bold]‘S-Town’ Podcast In Participant Movie Deal With ‘Spotlight’s Tom McCarthy[/bold]

[quote]Participant Media has acquired feature rights to S-Town, the This American Life podcast. Spotlight‘s Tom McCarthy is in negotiations to direct the film and playwright Samuel Hunter is in talks to write the script. This American Life will also produce.

[quote]Participant currently has RBG in theaters. The documentary chronicling the remarkable life of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg quickly emerged as the year’s breakout docu with $9.5 million at the box office so far.

[quote]Participant follows that with On The Basis of Sex, the Mimi Leder-directed drama about Ginsburg’s formative struggles for equal rights as she ascended to the Supreme Court. Felicity Jones stars as Ginsburg and Focus Features releases November 9.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2018 5:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!