Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bert Convy

What was special about the late Bert Convy? Did he have the kind of charm that people liked? He appeared in lots of game shows, mini series, TV movies, etc. He was married twice. He died of a brain tumor in 1991.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 4, 2020 4:52 PM

Convey died in 1991 of a brain tumor at 57 years old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2017 11:51 PM

He succumbed to the Guido Contini curse.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2017 11:54 PM

Super size meat. Epic proportions.

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2017 11:59 PM

He was congenial, enthusiastic and appeared to be sincere, which most game show hosts do not. He also helped to develop "Win, Lose or Draw," I believe, before he died. He was a decent actor and singer; I remember seeing him on various shows when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2017 12:20 AM

Hot in a 70s way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2017 12:20 AM

Game show host is one of the toughest gigs around, and he was excellent in the role. But he actually started out as actor himself.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2017 12:24 AM

He co-starred in Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders my favorite cheesy TV movie of the late '70's.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2017 12:41 AM

Bert Convoy could have had a forever cult following. Here's what happened. He was picked to play the pivotal, popular role of Barnabas Collins, the sexy, sympathetic vampire, on the iconic, gothic soap "Dark Shadows" but was overruled at the last minute by assistant on the show who deemed that he didn't quite have what it took for the role. Had he gotten it the part would have followed him to his grave literally.

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2017 12:54 AM

He played Cliff Bradshaw in the original Broadway cast of "Cabaret."

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2017 1:17 AM

He won an Emmy Award for hosting "Tattletales"

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2017 1:21 AM

He was charming, good looking, and well spoken. What's not to like? Also had a nice singing voice.

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2017 2:51 AM

I saw him in Cabaret on Broadway in the late 1960s. He had a good voice, was fairly attractive, acted OK but was severely lacking in charisma. In that original version of Cabaret, his character was totally heterosexual, unlike the later Roundabout version (which was truer to the Isherwood story it's based on) in the late 1990s. So the character was also rather dull.

TV game show host seemed like the perfect fit to me.

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2017 2:57 AM

He had a pretty beg Broadway career. He was in the original cast of Fiddler on the Roof too.

as r2 alluded to: all three of the Broadway stars of Nine died very young. Sergio Franchi, Raul Julia and Convy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2017 3:43 AM

Anita Morris also died young from "Nine". Was there loose asbestos in the asbestos curtain? (Do they still use asbestos curtains on Broadway?)

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2017 3:47 AM

[quote]all three of the Broadway stars of Nine died very young. Sergio Franchi, Raul Julia and Convy.

I'm still here, beeches!

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2017 3:50 AM

Well, he did the show more than 20 years after the original run.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2017 3:51 AM

you weren't in the original production Antonio

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2017 3:56 AM

And you never will be!

I saw the original, and Anita Morris was stellar and stunning.

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2017 4:00 AM

R17 It doesn't say anything about "original" in R13.

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2017 4:03 AM

R8 Not really. Barnabas was originally supposed to be short-term. But Jonathan Frid became so instantly popular they decided to make him a regular.

I went to a reunion years ago at the Director's Guild. Lara Parker told this hilarious story. Frid was praised by critics for his phrasing, his delivery, the fearful look in his eyes. Critics thought he was an amazingly passionate actor. According to Parker, the fright in his eyes and his constant pausing was because he couldn't remember his lines. She said it was a chore just getting thru a scene with him.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2017 4:03 AM

Anita Morris gave one of the sexiest performances ever -- confirming that I still had bisexual tendencies. Wow, just wow! She was great and should have won the Tony over Lilliane Montevecchi, who was very good, but not as fantastic as Anita.

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2017 4:03 AM

Bert Convy!

Va-va-va voom!

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2017 4:05 AM

He had gorgeous dimples.

He was Perchik in the original Broadway production of Fiddler on the Roof. I remember reading in a book about the show's origins that Stuart Damon was considered too pretty for the role. Someone suggested putting thick glasses on him and someone (Harnick?) said "Yeah, you can try that but he'll still look like Betty Grable." Was Bert Convy that less attractive than Damon at the time?

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2017 4:22 AM

I guess you didn't watch The Champions.

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2017 5:31 AM

My favorite co-star!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2017 7:59 AM

Match Game 1990 Pilot w/ Bert Convy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2017 11:16 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2017 11:19 PM

My sister had a crush on him that lasted from 1976 until the day he died.

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2017 12:32 AM

Bobby Van - who was frequently on Tattletales with his wife Elaine Joyce also died young or a brain tumor - at age 51 in 1980. I think there was something carcinogenic in that green shag carpeting.

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2017 12:49 AM

Antonio Banderas has heart attack.......the Guido streak does apparently extend past the original production.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2017 1:17 AM

He shops at my supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2017 1:31 AM

I remember hearing about this at the time it was announced he was ill. It was shocking because he seemed so young and full of energy.

by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2017 1:55 AM

[quote]TV game show host seemed like the perfect fit to me.

This. He was all over the place in the 70s and 80s and he was exactly the same whether he was "acting" in stuff like Fantasy Island or Love Boat or was just appearing as himself on game and talk shows. He was blandly handsome, non-threatening, affable - a perfect game show host.

by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2017 2:47 AM

Yes, OP, he was charming.

by Anonymousreply 34March 27, 2017 4:36 AM

I think if Bert Convy were alive today he would be doing autograph signings and conventions.

by Anonymousreply 35July 4, 2018 12:32 PM

Meredith MacRae also died of a brain tumor. She and her then husband, Greg Mullavey, appeared on Tattletales.

by Anonymousreply 36July 4, 2018 12:43 PM

They didn't call it the "banana section" for nothing!

by Anonymousreply 37July 4, 2018 12:53 PM

I had a major gayling crush on him. Also , Chuck Woolery , until Ifound out He was a deranged Repug.

by Anonymousreply 38July 4, 2018 1:06 PM

Burt had a long term fling with Louise Lasser towards the end of Lasser's marriage to Woody Allen.

by Anonymousreply 39July 4, 2018 1:26 PM

I wonder what are Jennifer Cony's thoughts of her father's legacy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 4, 2018 1:30 PM

He was Shirley Partridge’s sometimes boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 41July 4, 2018 1:35 PM

He also tried to date Mary Richards after he got divorced. He had nice dimples.

by Anonymousreply 42July 4, 2018 3:04 PM

I'm bumping this because I found a picture of a hot, pre-perm Bert that contributes significantly to the discussion. I like his Fiddler on the Roof beard.

That's Zero Mostel on the left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 4, 2020 4:17 PM

I thought Bert was sexy when I was a kid and I used to watch him on Tattletales and Password Plus.

by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2020 4:20 PM

Weird helmet hair.

by Anonymousreply 45May 4, 2020 4:24 PM

In April 1990, Convy was admitted to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after collapsing while visiting his mother, who had been hospitalized for a stroke. He was diagnosed with a glioblastoma multiforme. The inoperable tumor forced him to retire. On July 15, 1991, Convy died at his home in Brentwood eight days before his 58th birthday. His remains were buried at Forest Lawn – Hollywood Hills Cemetery in the Hollywood Hills of Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 46May 4, 2020 4:38 PM

I saw him on Broadway in the original production of “Cabaret,” twice, and also in the well-received revival of “The Front Page. He sang well in “Cabaret,” but, as mentioned above, his character was written bland. He was much better opposite the great Robert Ryan, in “Front Page,” which was wonderful all the way round.

Convy certainly managed to stay employed, which, for a stage actor, is a considerable accomplishment, though he was canny enough to switch to more lucrative TV hosting.

by Anonymousreply 47May 4, 2020 4:39 PM

His Mike Brady perm did him no favors in the 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 4, 2020 4:47 PM

Antonio Banderas was in the Nine revival in 2003. He was very much NOT in the original version in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 49May 4, 2020 4:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!