Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Vivien Leigh really that great?

I don't see excellence here. Maybe it was just the style of the times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167April 9, 2018 12:52 PM

her other big scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2017 2:19 PM

She wasn't even pretty.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2017 2:24 PM

She was superb in Streetcar. It is an immortal performance. I'm neutral on her GWTW performance because the character never interested me much.

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2017 2:42 PM

What r2? She was gorgeous. Other than GWTW and ASND, she doesn't have that many memorable films. WATERLOO BRIDGE and THAT HAMILTON WOMAN come close. She saved her finest performances for the stage. But she was heartbreakingly lovely 😊 to me anyway...

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2017 3:24 PM

She was stunningly beautiful, and quite mad towards the end. A very tragic figure.

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2017 3:55 PM

This photograph is a stunner.... I mean, anybody can be made to look better but this is a terrific portrait no matter the subject.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2017 4:15 PM

I agree with R6. Not my ultimate favorite ever, but Leigh was a very capable actress and quite lovely. She had a strong screen presence and the camera loved her.

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2017 4:26 PM

but I never thought she looked well smiling... it fattened her face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2017 5:09 PM

I love The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone.

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2017 5:17 PM

r8, fattened her face?! What are you, a fucking freak? She looks completely beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2017 5:19 PM

her cheeks pop like a chipmunk's. she s beautiful but not when she smiles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2017 5:23 PM

Nuts or berries?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 25, 2017 5:24 PM

Her cheeks are delightful. She was the prettiest actress who ever lived.

by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2017 5:24 PM

Gorgeous ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2017 5:25 PM

She was stunning, one of the most beautiful women of the twentieth century, and her performance in GWTW lived up to the expectation and the hype.

by Anonymousreply 15March 25, 2017 5:26 PM

I'd like to see a proper Netflix series about Larry and Viv, done in the style of The Crown.

by Anonymousreply 16March 25, 2017 5:26 PM

For me, she's stunningly beautiful, too beautiful in fact for the part of Scarlett O' Hara. In the book, 'Scarlett O'Hara was not pretty but men seldom realised that.' Nevertheless I thought she played the part brilliantly. In real life she had bipolar and it got progressively worse as she grew older. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 17March 25, 2017 5:46 PM

She got a lot of cock in her day. I like her just for that.

by Anonymousreply 18March 25, 2017 10:08 PM

She was suberp as Kayty Skarlet o'hareem

by Anonymousreply 19March 25, 2017 10:10 PM

R16, I agree. I said it in another thread, that their marriage would make for an excellent miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 20March 25, 2017 10:15 PM

Thang about Lord Larry is that his life was also one full of theater management and government service eg National Theatre : not likely to make a very good plot unless you're a fan of CP Snow

by Anonymousreply 21March 25, 2017 10:21 PM

Adequate?

Shit.

Anyone who has watched her Scarlett and Blanche, "Waterloo Bridge," "Ship of Fools, "Caesar & Cleopatra," "Dark Journey," or even "The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone" would have to acknowledge her amazing gift. Whatever she was away from the camera, she had everything an actress needs for brilliant performances.

The "adequate" people here either haven't seen her in anything by GWTW or are just the usual useless asses of the DL millennial cesspit.

by Anonymousreply 22March 25, 2017 10:31 PM

millennial cesspit - my, what is that exactly?

by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2017 10:36 PM

During her lifetime, Vivien Leigh was always better regarded in the US than in the UK. To the British she was merely adequate.

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2017 12:13 AM

Yeah. They thought Benny Hill was an artiste too.

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2017 12:15 AM

Vivian Leigh not pretty and just an average actress. My Gawd? There is certainly room for differences of opinion but that one is on the far end of any bell curve.

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2017 12:55 AM

Vivien Leigh, a British actress, won 2 Oscars for playing Southern Belles. She was a superb actress who really immersed herself in her roles and brought them to life. One of the greats.

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2017 1:19 AM

If her performance in "Waterloo Bridge" doesn't break your heart, then you don't have one.

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2017 2:58 AM

Great in GWTW. Stunning in Streetcar.

And, early on, quite beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2017 3:07 AM

In the novel Scarlett is described like this. In fact, it's the first paragraph of "Gone With The Wind":

"Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were. In her face were too sharply blended the delicate features of her mother, a Coast aristocrat of French descent, and the heavy ones of her florid Irish father. But it was an arresting face, pointed of chin, square of jaw. Her eyes were pale green, without a touch of hazel, starred with bristly black lashes and slightly tilted at the ends. Above them, her thick black brows slanted upward, casting a startling oblique line in her magnolia white skin, that skin so prized by Southern women and so carefully guarded with bonnets, veils and mittens against hot Georgia suns."

Throughout the novel she thought of "pretty" and "beautiful." I thought Vivien Leigh was the perfect choice to play her. As Clark Gable was as Rhett Butler.

by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2017 3:18 AM

Excellent actress and a great beauty.

Her two most famous performances (in two legendary films no less) are deservedly iconic.

She lives up to all the hype and her characters feel real and "lived in".

She was magnetic onscreen, and her performances in GWTW and ASND are perfect examples of excellent "A+ lead actress" performances for the big screen and are timeless.

She was also lucky in that the films she starred in matched the performances she gave--her Oscar winning performances matched the quality of the films she won for. Both films are A+ as well and have stood the test of time (rather than someone like M, who gave award winning performances in just OK films, with OK directors--and aren't really remembered for anything aside from her performance....)

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2017 3:26 AM

[quote]—Probably also the prettiest English actress ever (they're not typically pretty)

What? I present to you Madeleine Carroll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2017 3:52 AM

R30 sounds like Joan Crawford's face.

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2017 4:19 AM

Then there are those other unpretty British actresses, (31):

Elizabeth Taylor

Jean Simmons

Deborah Kerr

Joan Collins

Susannah York

Claire Bloom

Julie Christie

by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2017 5:59 AM

Didn't Lucy make her put on 20 pounds?

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2017 6:11 AM

There was so much more to her, but even if there was only GWTW and Streetcar, it would be enough.

Her performance in Streetcar is in my handful of favourites ever - male or female.

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2017 6:27 AM

"but I never thought she looked well smiling... "

Your language is as piss-elegant as your judgment.

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2017 6:49 AM

I would say "as piss-poor."

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2017 7:12 AM

R34, Taylor was of American stock. Like the Brits could we er put our that one, please

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2017 8:07 AM

She was born in London, and bios list her as British/American.

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2017 9:28 AM

Jane Seymour was as pretty as ANY British actress, save for Elizabeth Taylor, hardly gets mentioned in most beautiful discussions or threads. And Jane kept her pretty throughout the 70's, 80's, 90's and aughts. Quite an amazing span to remain leading lady beautiful.

OP, you've schooled and sold me on how remarkably talented and beautiful Vivien Leigh is. I was one of the (non-millennial) guilty who voted her as adequate. I won't sell Leigh short again.

by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2017 9:58 AM

She was great in Streetcar but not much else. Gatwick is terrible now. Long bloated and overreacted. De Havilland gave the best performance

by Anonymousreply 42March 26, 2017 10:05 AM

Agree, [R36]. *Strongly* agree. One of the best screen performances ever--male or female.

I'd seen "Streetcar" so many times and at one point it just became so clear to me that it was Vivian's performance (rather than Marlon's performance--which is also quite a thing to behold and equally iconic) that kept me coming back again and again---trying to see if I could *finally* figure out Blanche, and just being completely mesmerized by Leigh's performance of her.

She was completely immersed in that role and basically convinced me that Blanche DuBoise was real. She's that good. And that role is a *very* complicated and challenging part. What she did with is no small feat.

by Anonymousreply 43March 26, 2017 11:19 AM

***Blanche DuBois

by Anonymousreply 44March 26, 2017 11:21 AM

**Vivien (not Vivian; sorry for misspelled names ☹️)

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2017 11:25 AM

R32 LOOKS like Joan Crawford's face (with a blonde wig)

by Anonymousreply 46March 26, 2017 11:32 AM

Only saw her on stage in the musical "Tovarich," which must have been very difficult because she was not a great singer.. Still, I am very glad to have seen her in person.

by Anonymousreply 47March 26, 2017 11:33 AM

[quote]To the British she was merely adequate.

Not true. She's regarded here as a brilliant film actress, but as merely adequate on stage.

That was one cause of friction between her and Larry. He couldn't do what she could do on film, and she couldn't do what he could do on stage.

by Anonymousreply 48March 26, 2017 11:34 AM

Wow, [R47], I think that you were indeed fortunate! Impressions?? (Aside from the not great singing?)

by Anonymousreply 49March 26, 2017 11:36 AM

Viv doing one of her Tovarich numbers. Charm for days, and for a non-dancer, she moves very well. A queen named Byron Mitchell is the one dancing with her. (Note how Ed Sullivan mispronounces the name of Wilkes-Barre).

by Anonymousreply 50March 26, 2017 11:37 AM

Oops - here's the number

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 26, 2017 11:38 AM

The whole film was " meh" to me

by Anonymousreply 52March 26, 2017 11:43 AM

Which film? Gone With the Wind? It was dazzling even up into the 1960s. Then other, better written epics (Lawrence of Arabia comes to mind) came along, and GWTW began to fade into the background a bit. Then it was released to TV in the 1970s, and it receded further into people's memories.

When you realize that there was no CGI when it was made, the filmmaking is quite extraordinary - the Train Station scene, for one - today it would all be CGI soldiers lying there.

by Anonymousreply 53March 26, 2017 11:47 AM

Think I read that half the "soldiers" in the train station scene were dummies. REAL dummies. The camera pullback in that scene is breathtaking, along with the Steiner music (a transposed version of "Dixie"?). GWTW is a very problematic film for me, in terms of its stereotypes and romanticizing of the Confederacy.

If Olivia deHavilland can hang on to July, she'll be 101!

by Anonymousreply 54March 26, 2017 11:08 PM

"GWTW is a very problematic film for me, in terms of its stereotypes and romanticizing of the Confederacy."

Keep in mind that the movie is a period piece. In the South at that time there WERE slaves who were loyal to their masters, like Uncle Peter and Mammy and Pork. The people in the movie did regard the way life was before the civil war as pleasant and reassuring, as wealthy Southern plantation owners and their offspring were wont to do. It's a representation of a time that a lot of people back then thought perfect and not subject to change. I don't think the movie is trying to make the Southern plantation life and the Confederacy seem wonderful; it's trying to convey that some people in that era thought it was.

By the way, the novel GWTW features characters who think the South is backward and ignorant and stupid for going to war: Rhett Butler says as much to the assembled men at the Wilkes barbecue. And in the book, not all the slaves are loyal and content; all the slaves at Tara run off except Pork, Mammy and Dilcey. The book features all types of characters and not all of them are in love with "The Cause", as its called in the book.

by Anonymousreply 55March 27, 2017 2:20 AM

I think that what I find difficult is what seems a blurring of 1) the way some people in the Old South felt about their society and 2) the implied viewpoint of the film itself, about that era. There is that nostalgic opening text about the vanished "knights and their fair ladies." That said, I realize that one has to take into account the time period and context in which a film is made. I read the book long ago, and might take another look.

by Anonymousreply 56March 27, 2017 3:20 AM

apparently the opening text of the movie was inserted against Margaret Mitchell's wishes r56.

by Anonymousreply 57March 27, 2017 3:21 AM

In her era,Leigh should have been the greatest actress in the English speaking world. But, alas and alack, her physical and mental health made that an impossibility. She was only 53 when she died

by Anonymousreply 58March 27, 2017 3:33 AM

Vivien Leigh was quite tragic. She seemingly had everything: great beauty, intelligence, talent. She married Laurence Olivier the premier British actor of his time. She won two Oscars in her lifetime. She was blessed wit all that and yet she was doomed due to an incurable mental illness. Poor Viv.

by Anonymousreply 59March 27, 2017 3:40 AM

r58, Vivien chose to focus on the stage instead of movies because she regarded theatre as a higher art than film... she had a prolific acting career despite what you think.

by Anonymousreply 60March 27, 2017 3:45 AM

I'd give ANYTHING to have seen Vivien's Lady Macbeth on stage. You just know the sleepwalking scene must have been totally her own demons and the character's as one. It's regarded as one of her great acting moments and yet we will never get to see it. Only to imagine it through the available photographs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 27, 2017 3:48 AM

Not only the one of the greatest film actress but certainly one of the most beautiful.

And I would delete "one of" if she'd only made more films in her prime.

by Anonymousreply 62March 27, 2017 3:59 AM

I've sometimes wondered if the intensity of her performances was in part due to her mental illness. She died of TB, at a time when it was already treatable, I think. Seems odd..

by Anonymousreply 63March 27, 2017 4:57 AM

[quote]In her era,Leigh should have been the greatest actress in the English speaking world.

Oh, Christ.

by Anonymousreply 64March 27, 2017 5:49 AM

Who is that young man dancing with Vivien in Tovarich? Shocking that she didn't bring him out for the applause with Ed Sullivan and introduce him.

by Anonymousreply 65March 27, 2017 6:43 PM

Waterloo Bridge and Streetcar are must-sees. I'm indifferent to GWTW because I'm not a fan of the film.

by Anonymousreply 66March 27, 2017 11:54 PM

She wasn't exactly a non-dancer. She wanted to be a prima ballerina but something happened, I don't recall what it was. Maybe she was too short. But you can see a dancer's grace in everything she did.

by Anonymousreply 67March 28, 2017 7:35 PM

I thought she was great in SHIP OF FOOLS, too.

by Anonymousreply 68March 28, 2017 8:17 PM

She was interesting, at the very least, in everything she did. She was not capable of being boring.

If you ever get a chance to see her with Charles Laughton and Rex Harrison in Sidewalks of London, you should. She plays a busker who makes it to the bigtime and she is so wonderful opposite Laughton. (another national treasure)

by Anonymousreply 69March 28, 2017 8:29 PM

Vivien Leigh was a very serious actress. I read an interview with her daughter, Suzanne Holman, in which Ms. Holman said her mother laid in to her when she thought her daughter was taking the audition process for the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts too casually. Ms. Holman wondered out loud if her mother had put that much effort and emotion into every day motherhood that she had to the RADA audition process, how much better their relationship might have been

by Anonymousreply 70May 22, 2017 1:31 AM

She was incandescent and one of the many actresses not meant for motherhood.

by Anonymousreply 71May 22, 2017 1:34 AM

She may not have been considered a great stage actress, but she won a Tony for 'Tovarich' in 1963. The stories about her mental condition are pretty heartbreaking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 22, 2017 2:14 AM

Thats quite an article by her daughter. It seems very "confessional" for that time. I wonder if there was any ghosting on it. The daughter lived a long life and I believe was fairly stable.

by Anonymousreply 73May 22, 2017 2:28 AM

Her daughter was raised by her father, a barrister named Leigh Holman, who was 13 years Vivien's senior. I don't know why she married him; I don't think there was much love there. I guess she married him because that's what women were expected to do, get married. They were also expected to have children. When she had her daughter she wrote in her diary "Had a baby today. A girl." Doesn't sound like she was that enthusiastic about motherhood. She abandoned her husband and baby to be with Laurence Olivier. Later on, Ingrid Bergman would do the same thing, that is, abandon her husband and baby daughter for a man. Actresses, obviously, are totally self centered. Everything is all about them, marriage vows and parental responsibilities be damned.

by Anonymousreply 74May 22, 2017 3:16 AM

"Vivian Leigh not pretty and just an average actress. My Gawd? There is certainly room for differences of opinion but that one is on the far end of any bell curve."

It's just typical Datalounge bullshit. Hell, the same thing has been said about Greta "The Divine One" Garbo; that she wasn't good looking and couldn't act. It's just troll bullshit or idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 75May 22, 2017 3:20 AM

Not a great beauty--but had an interesting face. At her best in stagey vehicles like Streetcar, which makes sense given her stage background. GWTW is basically spectacle (i.e., high gloss melodrama)--I don't think you can really compare it with something like Streetcar.

by Anonymousreply 76May 22, 2017 4:11 AM

Vivian has to play Scarlett from 17 years old to almost 30, [R76], and show her contending with war, loss, motherhood, changing circumstances, etc. I think she did a phenomenal job.

I also think "Gone With the Wind" holds up amazingly well on the big screen, is gorgeously shot, and features one of the best and most complex love stories in film history (an epic love story really) between Rhett and Scarlett.

It really is old Hollywood filmmaking on a grand scale--something that we're unlikely ever to experience again.

(Today the Scarlett walking among the wounded soldiers scene would have been done entirely with computer graphics...)

by Anonymousreply 77May 22, 2017 10:29 AM

Her performance in Caesar and Cleopatra deserves to be better known.

by Anonymousreply 78May 22, 2017 11:09 AM

Such a fine artist that it is often difficult to notice her perfect beauty. What else is there to say?

by Anonymousreply 79May 22, 2017 11:17 AM

Are you insane and/or blind R79? She was no beauty. Pinched features. Dog ugly in Streetcar. And a fucking TERRRRRIBLE actress. Too self conscious.

by Anonymousreply 80May 22, 2017 11:21 AM

You're insane, r80, and obviously a troll. Leigh is considered by any number of film historians to have been a great beauty and a great screen actress. By the time of Streetcar, cigarettes, booze, and her mental illness were wreaking havoc with her looks, but she was still lovely. Likewise in The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone.

by Anonymousreply 81May 22, 2017 12:35 PM

Perfect beauty? She wasn't glamorous. She wasn't the girl next door. She wasn't handsome. She didn't ooze "personality" or sensuality And she didn't transcend these usual categories. The best you can say is that she looked interesting and didn't fit the usual categories. As for living through war, motherhood, etc. in GTWT--its all Southern Belle bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 82May 22, 2017 12:40 PM

Watch Vivien Leigh in A Streetcar Named Desire and see how perfect her acting is - something from a real actress.

Watch Ann Margaret do the same movie (made for TV) and watch the quality of the acting go down at least 10 notches. She's not in the same league as Leigh AND never remake a great classic. You can't improve on perfection.

by Anonymousreply 83May 22, 2017 8:14 PM

My favorite photo of her. In the '70s, Alexandra de Markoff used it to peddle their Countess Isserlyn Liquid Makeup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 22, 2017 8:24 PM

Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful but Vivien Leigh certainly was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 22, 2017 8:37 PM

She was self conscious about her large hands, which she called "my paws." When being photographed, she tended to obscure them under fabric,etc.

I still don't understand how someone of her standing could die of TB in 1967 in England. Was her mental state such that she neglected treatment?

by Anonymousreply 86May 22, 2017 9:04 PM

She was exquisite, breakable and endearing, sexy little Viv.

by Anonymousreply 87May 22, 2017 9:15 PM

This is a response to R80 and R82.

I'm sorry, I don't know how to describe this properly. To me, it is clear that I am not demented, but to others, I realise it may not be clear. I am a lit graduate who went through a long time of being obsessed with GWTW the film, thinking Leigh is ugly but capable of looking gorgeous in some certain light, reading the book, thinking about her portrayal of the character, thinking more about her appearance, seeing more photographs of her.

When I see her now I see maybe what people wanted to see when they looked at Greta Garbo, in terms of beauty I think she is maybe the "spiritual successor" to Garbo, but with a less synthetically sculptural appearance.

Also what I see is a woman who is supremely in command of her appearance. It is as though she can decide to appear to be hideous or repulsive or gorgeous or cute or unreachable depending on how she feels and what she decides. Certain images of her are revolting... others are endlessly mesmerising.

All of her features are both ethereal and natural, characteristic only to her. Flawless skin and colouring, delicate bones, nothing proportionally exaggerated. Geometrically, the shapes of her face are like a stylised illustration. She is the progenitor of the "kitten" look, but she could never be so helplessly defined. Film stars today can never hope to resemble her.

Ravings...

by Anonymousreply 88May 23, 2017 9:14 AM

Ravings, indeed, r88. Leigh is beautiful. Or was, rather, now she's a rotting corpse and has been for fifty years.

She was considered one of the screen's great beauties. That's the word of basically every film critic/historian who has ever written about her. The fact that you thought Leigh was actually "ugly" speaks volumes. I pity you that your sense of beauty is so skewed.

by Anonymousreply 89May 23, 2017 5:52 PM

Reading this thread, I had a memory flash of Walter Cronkite announcing her death on the CBS Evening News. It was no more than a mention of the fact with a photo of her projected on the screen behind Cronkite, and it came well after all the main stories of the night. I guess that says something about how much society has changed since then.

by Anonymousreply 90May 23, 2017 7:24 PM

"Gone WIth The Wind" is on TCM tonight! Tune in to see the the gorgeous Vivien Leigh in her prime, in her greatest role.

by Anonymousreply 91May 23, 2017 9:18 PM

Thanks, [R91]! Leigh is electrifying as Scarlett and I cannot imagine any other actress--then or now--doing such a magnificent job with such an iconic and epic role!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92May 24, 2017 3:47 AM

According to Karl Malden, Marlon Brando was upset that Jessica Tandy wasn't cast as Blanche in the 1951 film version of A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE. Malden said that Brando couldn't stand Leigh and her convent school manners.

Malden said that Jessica Tandy hadn't much of an impression as a film actress up to that time. He said that if Brando, who had made only one other film before STREETCAR, and Tandy had made STREET, he (Malden) and Kim Hunter would not have been cast.

Malden wouldn't pick sides on the Tandy vs. Leigh casting debate, He said that film acting differs from stage acting. He noted that Leigh got rave reviews when she did Blanche in London (in a production directed by her husband, Laurence Olivier). Malden said that because of GONE WITH THE WIND, everyone in Hollywood knew what caliber actress Leigh was

by Anonymousreply 93May 28, 2017 4:31 AM

gorgeous

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94May 28, 2017 4:45 AM

Bring out your Hellman's

Bring out the best!

by Anonymousreply 95May 28, 2017 4:51 AM

R94, that gif looks like it's taken from [italic]That Hamilton Woman[/italic]. I think Vivien is at the very peak of her beauty in that, even more so than in GWTW. Leigh had an affair with the film's director and producer Alexander Korda despite being very recently married to Olivier, whom she outshines effortlessly in every way. [italic]That Hamilton Woman[/italic] also features a great performance by Gladys Cooper, who is fantastically bitchy as Nelson's wife.

by Anonymousreply 96May 28, 2017 4:54 AM

To get an idea what Scarlett O'Hara might have looked like to help him cast the part, David O. Selznick commissioned a portrait of Scarlett based on the various descriptions in the novel. The composite portrait that the artist created looked almost, if not exactly like Leigh

by Anonymousreply 97May 28, 2017 5:09 AM

I'd love to see that portrait!

by Anonymousreply 98May 28, 2017 5:14 AM

Selznick looked from the acres of burning rubble to a young actress standing beside Laurence Olivier. Firelight seemed to accentuate the hint of pale green in the light blue of her eyes, the green that Margaret Mitchell has ascribed to the eyes of her heroine. He knew that she was Vivien Leigh, an English actress, and that she and Olivier were in love. He also knew that several months ago her name had been mentioned to him by one of his talent executives, and he'd screened two pictures she made in Britain,Fire Over Englandand A Yank at Oxford,and thought her excellent but in no way a possible Scarlett. Seeing her now, the moment turned into a scene from his own A Star Is Born. "I took one look and knew that she was right—at least right as far as her appearance went," he said later. "If you have a picture of someone in mind and then suddenly you see that person, no more evidence is necessary ... I'll never recover from that first look."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 28, 2017 5:15 AM

Isn't the first line of the GONE WITH THE WIND the novel: "Scarlett O'Hara wasn't beautiful ..."

by Anonymousreply 100May 28, 2017 5:24 AM

I was lucky enough to see GWTW on the big screen a couple of years ago and Vivien was simply electric. She had the audience enthralled throughout the demanding running time.

If she's not a beauty, then I don't know who is.

by Anonymousreply 101May 28, 2017 6:22 AM

Her performance in GWTW ihas been wildly praised, but its actually uneven. She's so mannered and annoying when she's being flirtatious and coy, and she comes off as overdoing it. But she's excellent in the quieter and more serious scenes--one of my favorites is when she takes over Frank Kennedy's sawmill and has to give the speech to the working men. She's at her finest there.

Her best film is almost undoubtedly "A Streetcar Named Desire"--she really owns that role. She played too many minxes in her career, but that's her best of them.

by Anonymousreply 102May 28, 2017 6:44 AM

[quote] Firelight seemed to accentuate the hint of pale green in the light blue of her eyes,

MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 103May 28, 2017 6:45 AM

The difference in the arches of her eyebrows at r92 is dramatic and yet her beauty remains outstanding. No one ever commanded a close up like Vivien.

The story about Selznick "discovering" her the night of the filming of the fire in Atlanta was all press agentry. it was a deliberate set up. He'd had his eyes on her as a possible Scarlett since 1937. And then when she got to Hollywood that night with his brother Myron as her agent, her last minute screen tests blew everyone else off the screen, including the probable runner up Paulette Goddard, who couldn't prove the legitimacy of her marriage to then husband Charles Chaplin. Some of the scenes in the finished film are inferior to her black and white screen tests of the same scenes. The rigors of filming had taken their toll.

by Anonymousreply 104May 28, 2017 6:55 AM

No she was way over rated.

There are very few truly great actresses from that era. You have your Bette Davis, Olivia De Havilland/Joan Fontaine and a few others but most simply are a product of the times or simply had great writing.

That's were people like Bette Davis come in. She can take an awful script and make it watchable, though no one can take an awful script and make it good, she does make bad things watchable.

by Anonymousreply 105May 28, 2017 7:11 AM

I'd love to have seen a 16 year old Ava Gardner as Scarlett.

by Anonymousreply 106May 28, 2017 3:07 PM

[quote] She's so mannered and annoying when she's being flirtatious and coy, and she comes off as overdoing it.

SCARLETT overdoes it. Because it's so insincere, since Scarlett is as tough as nails. Vivien is *perfect*.

by Anonymousreply 107May 28, 2017 4:12 PM

So in "Hamilton" Leigh played a married woman having an affair, while she was a married woman having an affair.

In "Waterloo Bridge," from about the same time, she was exquisite. The movie has to be one of the saddest ever.

by Anonymousreply 108May 30, 2017 5:42 PM

Re "rotting,corpse" above, Leigh was cremated.

by Anonymousreply 109May 30, 2017 5:54 PM

Has anyone mentioned her Anna Karenina? It's a beautiful film, with great performances from Leigh and Ralph Richardson as Anna's husband. Richardson makes the character's stern stance clear without turning him into a monster. There's a beautiful actor as Vronsky, too.

by Anonymousreply 110May 30, 2017 6:03 PM

So in two of her movies she commits suicide. In another she attempts suicide. In a 4th she maybe is going to commit suicide by murderous lover. She also gets sent to the looney bin. Then there's the one where she ends as a drunken wreck. And the one where she's an Egyptian queen who will eventually commit suicide.

by Anonymousreply 111May 30, 2017 10:45 PM

I loved her as Ethel in I Love Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 112May 30, 2017 10:58 PM

She was exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 113May 30, 2017 10:59 PM

Right, R107. Scarlett is so transparent whenever she's trying to flirt and manipulate people that it's funny. Her syrupy wheedling makes me laugh, especially when Mammy is there to puncture it with a look-- they're such a fantastic double act.

by Anonymousreply 114May 30, 2017 11:13 PM

Remember when Scarlett first sees Rhett when she's on the staircase with some other belle who says that Rhett went out buggy riding with some girl? Scarlett whispers something to her friend, who says, "No, but she was ruined just the same." What was the whispered question?

by Anonymousreply 115May 31, 2017 1:51 AM

In which movie does she try to commit suicide?

by Anonymousreply 116May 31, 2017 2:36 AM

Yes, the first line in Gone With The Wind is "Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were." But all throughout the novel she is referred to as being pretty and both Ashley and Rhett tell her that she's beautiful. So she must have been very good looking, very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 117May 31, 2017 2:42 AM

"Remember when Scarlett first sees Rhett when she's on the staircase with some other belle who says that Rhett went out buggy riding with some girl? Scarlett whispers something to her friend, who says, "No, but she was ruined just the same." What was the whispered question?"

The question is "did she have a baby?" Seems Rhett took some girl on an outing and the carriage got in an accident or something and he didn't get her home until after dark. The honorable thing to do would have been to marry her in order to salvage both their reputations (it's assumed that he had sex with her, but he didn't), but Rhett considers her "a boring fool" and refuses to marry her. Her brother considered his sister's honor compromised and he challenged Rhett to a duel and Rhett kills him. It was considered quite a scandal.

by Anonymousreply 118May 31, 2017 2:48 AM

he not only got the girl back after dark but he had taken her out WITHOUT A CHAPERONE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119May 31, 2017 2:54 AM

Loving this thread! [R119]'s post and gif made me lol! ;)

by Anonymousreply 120May 31, 2017 12:44 PM

Looks like a gaggle of geese.

That was the scene where widow Scarlett dances at the fundraising ball. Scandalous!

by Anonymousreply 121May 31, 2017 9:00 PM

Jeremy Spencer (b 1938) was in two films with her

Anna Karenina (1948), in which he played "Giuseppe."

Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone, where's he the beautiful sinister young man.

He was also the son of Olivier in Prince..

by Anonymousreply 122May 31, 2017 11:25 PM

The moment in the red gown, in the doorway at Melly's party, silent and so beautiful. I do not know how to post a picture. She is breathtaking!

by Anonymousreply 123May 31, 2017 11:31 PM

Here ya go, r123.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124May 31, 2017 11:50 PM

And the dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125May 31, 2017 11:52 PM

Thank you r124!! She is elegance!

by Anonymousreply 126May 31, 2017 11:55 PM

I watched Gone with the Wind the other day. Hadn't seen it in decades. The movie needless to say is so badly dated, so blatantly racist I'm surprised it's even shown. The acting in it was atrociously over the top and God, was Scarlett a bitch. But Leigh was good in a very unsympathetic role, as were Hattie McDaniel and Olivia de Havilland. Gable was awful. Leslie Howard too.

by Anonymousreply 127May 31, 2017 11:58 PM

It's really about the friendship of the two women.

by Anonymousreply 128June 1, 2017 3:43 AM

"Gable was awful."

No, he wasn't He was perfect. I don't think any actor could have played Rhett Butler better than him. And his delivery of the line "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" is also sheer perfection.

Leslie Howard was a good actor, but terribly miscast; much too old, not the right type at all to play Ashley Wilkes.

As for the "over the top acting"...well, you must not like ANY movie from that era, because the acting in GWTW was the way acting was done in the movies at that time. Have you ever seen silent movies? I guess you would consider those films to be "atrociously over the top", too.

by Anonymousreply 129June 1, 2017 3:53 AM

Agree, [R129], Gable was "perfection" in GWTW; he gave an excellent and complex performance as Rhett Butler and deserved the Best Actor Oscar that year...

by Anonymousreply 130June 1, 2017 9:57 AM

r127, oh great, here comes the politically correct bullshit. Just because a film or drama may portray a racist society, that does not take away from the power of the drama. You'd have anything you deem offensive taken out of movies and the rest would be characters with absolutely no grey areas or any arc of growth on which to be taken. You fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 131June 1, 2017 1:11 PM

Thank you, [R131]; I never know how to respond to these people.

by Anonymousreply 132June 1, 2017 1:54 PM

Magnificent actress. If she 'd made even just a few more films in the 1940s she'd have outshone Bette Davis as the best film actress of the Golden Age.

by Anonymousreply 133June 1, 2017 1:56 PM

*it's like a new kind of book burning with some people; there is no "middle ground". They want everything "offensive" and not up to date politically and socially to be "purged" from art and history--forever.

You can appreciate the phenomenal artistry involved with a film (and the amazing characters created--along with the fine acting, directing, etc., contributed to the movie) and still recognize that the society that the characters in the film lived in had *major* flaws and problems--without banning the film outright!🙄

by Anonymousreply 134June 1, 2017 2:02 PM

R133 - Barbara Stanwyck.

by Anonymousreply 135June 1, 2017 2:03 PM

Crazy too

by Anonymousreply 136April 7, 2018 4:07 PM

OP needs attention. Anyone who ever read GWTW knows how great she was. She even topped herself after that. She was absolutely outstanding in streetcar, in fact, no one has been better, ever, and equally astonishing in ship of fools and mrs Stone. And quite intersting in some of her early films. St martin's lane is intriguing. And in her hollywood period she was the most beautiful woman in the world.she still takes my breath away

by Anonymousreply 137April 7, 2018 4:17 PM

When Joan Crawford was “ill” during the production of “Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte”, Vivien Leigh was mentioned as Crawford’s replacement. Bette Davis said that Vivien Leigh was British and she could not authenticly play a Southern character.

by Anonymousreply 138April 7, 2018 4:52 PM

Bette hated Vivien because once she was invited to Notley Abbaye, Vivien 's castle in the country, and Vivien 'forgot' to tell her that dinner was formal. So Bette appeared in slacks, looking like a slob, in the dining hall, where EVERYONE else was in tux and couture gowns. She never forgave Vivien

by Anonymousreply 139April 7, 2018 5:47 PM

She was amazing when she was within her range, but it was a limited range.There's a screen test for her with laurence Olivier for the lead role in "Rebecca" where she's hilarious wrong--she plays the 2nd Mrs. de Winter as a flirty minx, just like Scarlett o'Hara, and it's the absolute opposite of what the part called for.

Oddly, she's at her worst in GWTW when she's asked to be vixenish and flirty--she overdoes it, and indicates too much what she's doing. Her best scenes are when she's showing actual quiet strength, like when she take control of the Kennedy lumber mill, or her famous scene eating the rotten turnips.

I think her best roles were actually AFTER GWTW--"Waterloo Bridge," "Ship of Fools," "The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone," and "A Streetcar named Desre."

by Anonymousreply 140April 7, 2018 6:00 PM

[quote] Bette Davis said that Vivien Leigh was British and she could not authenticly play a Southern character.

And famously Leigh said to the press after sh turned the role down, "I can just about stomach the thought of having to look at Joan Crawford's face at 6AM for shooting, but not Bette Davis's."

by Anonymousreply 141April 7, 2018 6:01 PM

Back to Tovarich, I was thrilled to see Vivien Leigh on stage but the musical was otherwise just average, or below average. She was not Merman, a memorable singer. And by then, Ms. Leigh did not command the stage. But, she was a working actress, and that was good considering her mental condition

by Anonymousreply 142April 7, 2018 6:28 PM

I don't think anyone else would have been as good. Someone else could have done the role adequately (Miss Paulette Goddard, for example), but it wouldn't have been so luminous.

I do not think she would have done well as The 2nd Mrs. DeWinter in REBECCA. She could have played Rebecca herself, had the character appeared in a flashback, but not the mousy 2nd wife.

I do disagree that she could have played Isabella in WUTHERING HEIGHTS, but I think she would have upstaged Oberon; I would have liked to see an Olivier/Leigh Heathcliff and Cathy.

by Anonymousreply 143April 7, 2018 6:32 PM

Oh yes, she is divine in STREETCAR. Irene Selznick fought for her to play Blanch, as Kazan was very against the casting. Irene had been at her husband's side through GWTW, and believed Vivien's specific talents were right for the part.

by Anonymousreply 144April 7, 2018 6:34 PM

excuse me, BlanchE.

by Anonymousreply 145April 7, 2018 6:35 PM

Who did Kazan want for Blanche, r144?

by Anonymousreply 146April 7, 2018 6:37 PM

R137, I agree with you about Leigh's beauty. Others claim that Hedy Lamar, who has similar coloring and a science genius background/famous nudie picture, is more beautiful, but I disagree. I think even Joan Bennett, another light eyed brunette, in her prime was lovelier than Lamar (whose name was inspired by Barbara Lamar, the "Girl Who was Too Beautiful")

by Anonymousreply 147April 7, 2018 6:38 PM

Yes, R146. I would like to have seen Miss Tandy, personally, but I can't imagine her Blanche was as spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 148April 7, 2018 6:38 PM

She was very good in the tests for Rebecca. That cunt Cukor wanted to market her as a bitch and mocked her. The tests are somewhere in youtube. See for yourself. She was brave enough to take broadway in a musical when no other major screen star would have dared, and opened that trail for the Hepburns / bacall and all. She won a tony. And she would have been a magnificent Cathy, except Olivier always looked bland and stiff opposite her. And I love Merle

by Anonymousreply 149April 7, 2018 6:42 PM

It's funny, when my husband and I were first dating, I asked him who his favorite actress was, especially look-wise (me being a self-conscious pale and brunette twenty something at the time), and he said Vivien Leigh. I know he meant during her younger years such as GWTW, but that connected us even more, because I must have watched ASND at least a hundred times during my college years, and thought of her as the absolutely best actress of any current or bygone era, just from that film alone, and still do. And I'm a GEn-Xer, so take that as you will. She really is the best of the bunch, with Davis being a close second.

And on an unrelated note, does anyone think that the picture posted twice above from her GWTW "arched eyebrow" look not look uncannily like the first Barbie doll (you know- the one with the slanted sideway eyes and the zebra swimsuit that also comes in a BRUNETTE version?) I can almost swear that Ms. Handler was going after a Vivien Leigh reproduction instead of some obscure German doll at the time!

by Anonymousreply 150April 7, 2018 7:44 PM

[quote] It's funny, when my husband and I were first dating, I asked him who his favorite actress was, especially look-wise (me being a self-conscious pale and brunette twenty something at the time), and he said Vivien Leigh.

MARYS, the both of you! You must have known you were MEANT for each other!

by Anonymousreply 151April 7, 2018 8:40 PM

Vivien would have been great as Catherine in Wuthering Heights--she would have been much better than Merle Oberon.

by Anonymousreply 152April 7, 2018 8:47 PM

There have always people ridiculous enough to say that Vivien Leigh was not pretty or a bad actress. When she was obviously the best actress ever and the most beautiful. These people usually are bitter old queens who secretely wish they were half as fascinating, and had half as many cocks as she did. Starting with that silly cunt Cecil Beaton. Her performance as Blanche is prodigious and still, by any standard, the most spectacular tour de force ever recorded on film by an actress, past or present.

by Anonymousreply 153April 7, 2018 9:27 PM

R140, go over and introduce yourself to R107.

by Anonymousreply 154April 7, 2018 11:53 PM

Didn't Bette Davis do a Broadway musical long before Leigh? Not to mention Roz Russell, Maureen O'Hara etc.

by Anonymousreply 155April 8, 2018 12:42 AM

I think Davis was in some iil fated review in the 50s called Two's Company, with Gary Merrill. How much singing, I'm not sure. But there is her immortal "They're Either Too Young or Too Old."

I love Leigh, but as for range, in the Golden Era of film, I think Davis had it.

by Anonymousreply 156April 8, 2018 6:48 AM

overrated

by Anonymousreply 157April 8, 2018 6:56 AM

Davis and Leigh are both amazing actresses. But they really can't be compared. Davis was a screen actress who did broadway. Leigh was a stage actress who did hollywood. To say that Davis had more range is not correct in my opinion. Leigh was one of the most versatile actresses esp on stage. But in films, she was typecast as the tragic princess. Davis had a shtick that she relied on too much. I think there are both in the top 3 of Hollywood best actresses ever. If only for blanche and baby jane. Hepburn is the one who's overrarted IMO.

by Anonymousreply 158April 8, 2018 7:46 AM

GWTW is free on Amazon I just watched GWTW was amazed by her beauty and performance .Tthere may be other stars as beautiful as her but wouldn't say anyone was more beautiful.

I read the trivia and the director Victor Fleming wanted Scarlet to be a total bitch so Vivien fought for her interpretation . She also on the weekends got tips from Cukor ..

by Anonymousreply 159April 8, 2018 1:31 PM

The ONLY reason Leigh is sometimes not considered in the same light as contemporaries Davis, Hepburn Crawford and Stanwyck is because she made so few films compared to them. But her best work in GWTW, Streetcar and Ship of Fools absolutely stands up to, if not supersedes, anything the others did.

by Anonymousreply 160April 8, 2018 2:43 PM

In which universe is she not compared to these ladies ? Oh but in America. Well she was british, and here we consider her one of the absolute top of the tops hollywood stars ever

by Anonymousreply 161April 8, 2018 2:47 PM

I love Bette Davis but anyone who says he should have won Oscar for Dark Victory is insane .

by Anonymousreply 162April 9, 2018 2:29 AM

I don't think they were in competition. Davis couldn't do anna karenina or cleopatra, Leigh would have been awkward in some of Davis's parts. I love them both.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163April 9, 2018 6:54 AM

Dark Victory came out in 1939 they were both nominated for Best Actress .

by Anonymousreply 164April 9, 2018 8:44 AM

I can't see Bette as Scarlett.

by Anonymousreply 165April 9, 2018 8:47 AM

But Viv could have given us a brilliant Regina Giddens in The Little Foxes. Not when Bette did it in the early 1940s, Viv looked too young then. But 10 years later, yes!

Viv would have also made Mr. Skeffington more palatable if she was willing to do the age makeup for the later scenes.

It would have been fascinating tom see Viv opposite Bette in The Man Who Came to Dinner instead of Ann Sheridan. Wasn't that role originally based on Gertrude Lawrence?

But most of all, I would have loved to see what Viv would have done with The Letter! Can you just imagine?

by Anonymousreply 166April 9, 2018 12:47 PM

Vivien Leigh as Margot Channing =3rd oscar. Vivien Leigh in death on the nile = Endless joy

by Anonymousreply 167April 9, 2018 12:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!