Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite foods that no longer exist

Chicken Tonight was a line of savory sauces from Ragu. My favorite was the Country French. My mom would mix it with chicken,mushrooms, and rice to make a casserole. The cacciatore was good too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474October 23, 2018 1:38 PM

YES! I miss chicken tonight. Also Vienetta & Le Menu dinners.

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2017 8:31 AM

Does Appian Way Pizza still exist?

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2017 8:56 AM

I never got to try Vienetta. The commercials made it look so elegant!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2017 8:59 AM

You can buy it on Amazon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2017 9:01 AM

Tuna Twist makes tuna taste fresh as a garden

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2017 9:10 AM

Campbell's Soup 'n Sandwiches = a microwavable combo. My favorite was the hotdog and chilli. Grilled cheese and tomato soup was the most popular.

Jell-O 1-2-3. It never quite turned out as perfect as the TV commercial but the layered jello dessert was relatively easy to make and tasted good.

Marathon = chocolate/caramel candy bar. It wasn't a classic candy bar in size and shape, but tasted delicious.

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2017 9:15 AM

The original 70's Vienetta's were pretty yummy. They did a hazlenut and a mint flavored one too for a while. Not to mention they looked pretty spectacular at dinner parties. The ones they make now are about a third of the original size, and so filled with air you may as well suck on a vanilla and chocolate bicycle pump.

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2017 9:18 AM

Do they still make Sara Lee cakes?

by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2017 9:20 AM

Hey, nobody doesn't like Sara Lee!

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2017 9:23 AM

Frusen Glädjé

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2017 9:25 AM

What do you mean Chicken Tonight doesn't exist anymore? I still buy it occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2017 9:27 AM

The Fruitopia that came in glass bottles in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 12March 25, 2017 9:27 AM

Nestle Alpine White

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2017 9:27 AM

I haven't seen Chicken Tonight since the early '90s.

by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2017 9:30 AM

pudding pops

by Anonymousreply 15March 25, 2017 9:36 AM

Callard & Bowser's Butterscotch

by Anonymousreply 16March 25, 2017 9:44 AM

Pudding Pops^ were a tasty treat R15. Frozen cream on wood. Mmmm.

by Anonymousreply 17March 25, 2017 9:47 AM

I loved Fruitopia, it was much better than Snapple, and had these trippy names like Strawberry Passion Awareness, The Grape Beyond, Tangerine Wavelength, Citrus Consciousness, Fruit Integration, Pink Lemonade Euphoria, Lemonade Love & Hope, and Raspberry Psychic Lemonade.

by Anonymousreply 18March 25, 2017 9:59 AM

Start. Powdered orange drink, better than Tang. (Tang was advertised as going into space with the astronauts.)

Haven't seen either in years.

For candy, I loved Bun bars, chocolate and peanuts over vanilla creme. Also had Maple Bun bars.Every now and then, I still find them in Big Lots. Other than that, they've disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 19March 25, 2017 10:51 AM

It's still available.

by Anonymousreply 20March 25, 2017 10:55 AM

Wasabi Funyuns. They existed briefly in the 2000s and they were SO GOOD.

by Anonymousreply 21March 25, 2017 11:04 AM

Nature Valley Granola. The brand exists, they make granola bars, but I don't see boxes of loose cereal any more.

by Anonymousreply 22March 25, 2017 11:09 AM

Do Alpha Bits still exist?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2017 11:14 AM

Regards Chicken Tonight - you can make your own. For example Chicken Cacciatore is hella easy to make. P

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 25, 2017 11:41 AM

Ben & Jerry's White Russian ice cream, it was a kailua flavored ice-cream, yum!

by Anonymousreply 25March 25, 2017 11:44 AM

I forgot all about Fruitopia. Used to drink that all the time.

I don't buy candy bars often, but recently have had a craving for peanut butter Twix, and can't find them anywhere. On a side note, I can't believe how expensive a candy bar is now... over a dollar, and sometimes close to $2!

by Anonymousreply 26March 25, 2017 11:50 AM

Chicken Tonight was only discontinued in the US, it's still on sale in Australia and UK and a few other places.

by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2017 11:53 AM

Walmart has peanut butter Twix.

by Anonymousreply 28March 25, 2017 11:59 AM

Sara Lee used to make a cupcake variety pack that I loved as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 29March 25, 2017 12:01 PM

[quote]Ben & Jerry's White Russian ice cream, it was a kailua flavored ice-cream, yum!

They had a version with coffee called From Russia With Buzz.

Coffee Almond Fudge was the zenith of B&J.

Edy's had a competitor called Edy's Dreamery for a while, and their Tiramisu and Grandma's Cookie Jar flavors were better than B&J on their best day.

by Anonymousreply 30March 25, 2017 12:04 PM

Dream Whip.

by Anonymousreply 31March 25, 2017 12:31 PM

I saw Dream Whip this week in a local Meijer store.

by Anonymousreply 32March 25, 2017 12:33 PM

Gee Your Pussy Smells Terrific. Oh, the good old days.

by Anonymousreply 33March 25, 2017 12:35 PM

Another shout for LeMenu and their plates too!

by Anonymousreply 34March 25, 2017 12:38 PM

Pudding pops are still around in some stores. You can buy chicken tonight on Amazon, & marathon bars too, only they're called curly worlys & are from Britain. But Amazon has them. Vienetta is still sold in Europe. Why not in America, I don't know. But they should.

by Anonymousreply 35March 25, 2017 12:40 PM

Space Food Sticks :(

by Anonymousreply 36March 25, 2017 12:43 PM

Remember ice cubes? The little chocolate squares that seemed cool in your mouth without mint. I still have no idea how they did that, but they were melty heaven. You can buy them on Amazon too.

by Anonymousreply 37March 25, 2017 12:47 PM

R31 here. I didn't mean Dream Whip; I meant the yummy Cool and Creamy!

It came in tubs like Cool Whip does.

by Anonymousreply 38March 25, 2017 1:04 PM

Ice Cube chocolates! Thanks R37 that candy was like a magic mouth party!

by Anonymousreply 39March 25, 2017 1:32 PM

Diet Vanilla Coke.

I know that they make Vanilla Coke Zero now, but it's NOT the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 40March 25, 2017 1:33 PM

A year ago, I'd have said Diet Coke with Splenda, which was the best version of Diet Coke. But I've suddenly been able to find it again.

by Anonymousreply 41March 25, 2017 1:39 PM

Jello Spoon Candy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 25, 2017 1:44 PM

Keebler's Pizzarias

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 25, 2017 1:53 PM

R42 read my mind.

by Anonymousreply 44March 25, 2017 1:54 PM

Candy packaged like cigarettes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 25, 2017 1:59 PM

You can still find those candy cigarettes, r45, but why you would want to, I can't imagine.

by Anonymousreply 46March 25, 2017 2:07 PM

Tang

Pop Rocks

LaChoy makes Chinese food, siiiinggg American!

by Anonymousreply 47March 25, 2017 2:20 PM

OP posted Bryan Singer's favorite song.

by Anonymousreply 48March 25, 2017 2:26 PM

Figurines diet wafers. I think they had no artificial sweeteners, as they were better than any cookies. My mom said, " stay out of my Figurines!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 25, 2017 2:29 PM

R9, they still make Sara Lee cakes, but you might as well eat a cardboard box frosted with glue.

R16, I still miss Callard and Bowser butterscotch. Most hard candy now tastes like chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 50March 25, 2017 2:30 PM

Keeblers used to have tortilla chips made of regular flour, not corn. They were almost like pastry, and very good. They were only around for a short time, I guess most people (not me) preferred the corn ones.

by Anonymousreply 51March 25, 2017 2:33 PM

r13

I fucking loved those

by Anonymousreply 52March 25, 2017 2:49 PM

Sara Lee is a slut, that's why nobody doesn't like her.

by Anonymousreply 53March 25, 2017 2:52 PM

Carnation breakfast bars - they were I think oats and peanut butter with mini chocolate chips and coated with chocolate.

I also loved a candy bar called Ultimate Good Stuff. It was in a blue wrapper and had pretzels, caramel, peanut butter and more and it was delicious. I just Googled it and other people remember and loved it, and someone was starting a Facebook page to try to get the current mfr to make them again.

by Anonymousreply 54March 25, 2017 3:29 PM

McDonald's used to have a burger called Cheddar Melt in the late eighties and early nineties.

I used to LOVE these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 25, 2017 3:29 PM

R54, no you didn't! Thank you, I had been looking for the name of a candy bar from the late 80s that came in a blue/turquoise wrapper with pink lettering, for some reason my family used to buy the hell out of these, I think they cost .25 cents a bar. For years I tried to find the name of this candy bar online and couldn't find anything. Ultimate Good Stuff!

by Anonymousreply 56March 25, 2017 3:39 PM

AYDS weight loss candies.

A very unfortunate brand name

by Anonymousreply 57March 25, 2017 3:45 PM

R50 Apparently, the reason they stopped making Callard & Bowser Butterscotch was to turn the manufacturing space over to Altoids (as if what we really needed was yet another breath mint).

by Anonymousreply 58March 25, 2017 3:45 PM

Sara Lee banana cake.

by Anonymousreply 59March 25, 2017 4:06 PM

Some ice cream varieties that were sold in half gallon cardboard containers by various dairy companies:

Ice Cream Cake Roll which looked like a big Ho Ho.

Country Club ice cream that was a striped cube of vanilla, coffee, and orange sherbet.

Chocolate and mint checkerboard combination.

Popsicle (brand) half Root Beer half Banana popsicles.

by Anonymousreply 60March 25, 2017 4:12 PM

r58 -

Callard & Bowser-Suchard once manufactured Altoids at a plant in Bridgend, Wales, but has since moved Altoids' production to an existing plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States. This was done to manufacture the products closer to where they are primarily marketed.[1][2] They were marketed for a brief period in the 1990s under the "Nuttall's" brand when Callard and Bowser was under the ownership of Terry's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 25, 2017 4:13 PM

Country Morning breakfast cereal

by Anonymousreply 62March 25, 2017 4:14 PM

[quote]Country Club ice cream that was a striped cube of vanilla, coffee, and orange sherbet.

Did you live in New Jersey, R60? Country Club was the ice cream we usually bought there, back in the '50s and '60s.

by Anonymousreply 63March 25, 2017 4:17 PM

R60, Aldi shopper?

by Anonymousreply 64March 25, 2017 4:18 PM

Then they have no excuse, R61, for depriving us any further of C&B Butterscotch. Thanks for the info.

by Anonymousreply 65March 25, 2017 4:18 PM

Regal Crown Sour Cherry candies. They were the best combination of sweet and sour cherry flavor ever in a candy. Somebody supposedly got a hold of their recipe and tried to reintroduce them a few years ago, but they didn't taste anything like the original. More like cough syrup - very nasty. Very disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 66March 25, 2017 4:20 PM

Hershey's gold candy bars.

by Anonymousreply 67March 25, 2017 4:27 PM

R66 - the Vermont Country Store sells the new version of Regal Crown. Compared to other fake cherry flavored hard candy, they aren't bad, but compared to the original - whoever makes them should be sued for deceiving the public. Even candies in the same roll don't all taste the same - some taste exactly like cough drops, some taste normal (almost - but not quite - like regular hard cherry candy used to taste), and some do taste kind of sour, but nothing like the original.

by Anonymousreply 68March 25, 2017 4:59 PM

There used to be these box kits you could use to make a chicken casserole, similar to those Banquet ones still available, but were much better. They were usually a rice or pasta with a spices that you mixed with water/milk and put into the casserole. Then you put uncooked chicken breasts on top of that, then some more sauce over it, and bake it. They were really good because the sauce was better than the Cream Of Blargh you see in recipes like Stove Top Casserole. No idea what brand they were. Probably had enough sodium to kill a horse.

by Anonymousreply 69March 25, 2017 5:01 PM

And then there are products that still exist, but have changed so much from their original formulation as to be completely unrecognizable.

I bought a box of Vegetable Thins crackers a few months ago. Hadn't had them probably since the late 80's, but they used to be a Christmastime fixture at our house when I was growing up. Awful! No flavor, no more little pieces of vegetable baked into the crackers.

by Anonymousreply 70March 25, 2017 5:07 PM

No r63, I'm originally from Chicago. Florida since '01. I'm not even that clear on the name Country Club. I used it b/c I heard that name referenced here on a thread I started about that kind of ice cream. I saw a carton of it on a you tube movie or TCM movie from I watched fairly recently that looked like the early 80s.

As an aside, when I was little my dad worked for several years at an ice cream plant named Country's Delight. The employees there got to bring home free ice cream so our freezer was frequently packed with ice cream and novelty treats. I remember dad taking me to work with him on several occasions if he was pulling a few hours OT on a weekend and we'd go into the warehouse sized freezer and quickly proceed (brrrrr!) in filling up a large egg crate size box of whatever I felt like taking. They kept dry ice on hand as well to stuff into the box and remember amusing and playing with it with the neighborhood kids.

by Anonymousreply 71March 25, 2017 5:10 PM

I don't remember what they were called, but they were the Hostess cupcakes that were yellow cake with chocolate frosting. They make chocolate versions and some seasonal versions, but the yellow cupcakes have been missing for years.

The thing is, even the other brands in the store don't have a yellow cupcake with chocolate frosting. My circulatory system is glad for that, I'm sure, but I miss having one every so often.

by Anonymousreply 72March 25, 2017 5:13 PM

Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup with Stars! My favourite soup when I was little. I had a fit when they discontinued it and my mom couldn't find it in the stores.

by Anonymousreply 73March 25, 2017 5:13 PM

The original Snickers Cruncher candy bar. They have one with a similar name now but it's not the same. It was the only candy bar I would eat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 25, 2017 5:16 PM

Le Menu Frozen Dinners, pretty good quality for a microwave meal and you could use the microwavable plate years afterwards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 25, 2017 5:19 PM

[quote]There used to be these box kits you could use to make a chicken casserole, similar to those Banquet ones still available, but were much better.

There were also some from Lipton, promoted mainly as a tasty way to use up left-over meat. Actually, they were SO tasty that it was worth buying and cooking some meat specifically for them.

The box included noodles, powdered sauce mix and a little packet of garnish. You supplied the cooked meat (though they did say you could omit meat and use the seasoned noodles as a side dish). As I recall, they had stroganoff for beef, tetrazzini for chicken and mornay for fish.

It's a mystery to me why those extraordinary noodle dishes were discontinued, but the seemingly boundless assortment of Lipton Sidekicks (ALL revolting) remains on the market today.

by Anonymousreply 76March 25, 2017 5:19 PM

Jell-o 123

Marathon candy bars.

by Anonymousreply 77March 25, 2017 5:20 PM

[quote]you could use the microwavable plate years afterwards.

Dish cheapskate.

by Anonymousreply 78March 25, 2017 5:21 PM

I know, R76 -- I went to buy some packets of stroganoff noodles a few weeks ago just to have something quick to cook up for a late dinner, and the pre-packaged noodle mixes were disgusting. Even the pictures on the front looked terrible, which is not a good sign.

I ended up getting Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice, a packet of that Campbell's chicken marsala sauce, and some chicken breasts and made a casserole. Good but salty as heck. I think I may have aged out of the demographic that pre-packaged food is made for.

by Anonymousreply 79March 25, 2017 5:24 PM

Sara lee used to make a dessert which was like a chocolate cheesecake with a crust made from those dark chocolate wafers and cream topping with chocolate shavings. Man I loved that thing. Haven't seen one in about 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 80March 25, 2017 5:32 PM

I loved Callard & Bowser Licorice Toffee.

by Anonymousreply 81March 25, 2017 5:39 PM

Is the entire Callard & Bowser brand dead? (I only bought the butterscotch.) Wait! No! I'll google it myself.

[quote]Callard and Bowser-Suchard was sold by Beatrice Foods to Terry’s of York in 1982, which was then acquired by Kraft General Foods International/Philip Morris Tobacco Company in 1993. Wrigley’s of Chicago agreed to buy the C&B and Life Savers units from Kraft in November 2004 for USD$1.48 billion after beating out competitors Hershey, Mars, Nestlé and Cadbury. The purchase was completed in June, 2005. Altoids is now owned by Mars, which acquired Wrigley’s in October 2008.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 25, 2017 5:42 PM

Freakies Cereal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 25, 2017 5:48 PM

These, when they actually tasted like something

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 25, 2017 5:50 PM

Weaver honey-battered chicken

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 25, 2017 5:53 PM

Hostess powdered donuts with raspberry filling.

by Anonymousreply 86March 25, 2017 6:00 PM

R84 put one in your ass then take it and taste it. See if it's like you used to remember.

by Anonymousreply 87March 25, 2017 6:01 PM

Why does a donut with raspberry filling also need powdered sugar. I hate powdered sugar.

by Anonymousreply 88March 25, 2017 6:01 PM

[quote]These, when they actually tasted like something

You mean you can actually EAT cucumbers, too?

by Anonymousreply 89March 25, 2017 8:24 PM

Dutch Apple Pop-Tarts.

I love this thread, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 90March 25, 2017 8:59 PM

Cadbury Milk Chocolate covered shortbread

by Anonymousreply 91March 25, 2017 9:02 PM

Hagan Daaz Cookies and Cream - by far my favorite cookies and cream. It vanished from grocery stores where I live years ago, and I didn't see it when I visited other cities (though I wasn't really looking, only when I happened to be at a grocery store). I did find some about two years ago in Arizona when visiting my parents, but I was back last year and it was gone from the same store. I think it still technically exists, but not near me.

by Anonymousreply 92March 25, 2017 9:10 PM

Concord grape Poptarts

Nabisco Twigs, Pizza Spins, Banana Flips, Van de Kamps beer battered fish used to be good and crispy but now tastes like crap

by Anonymousreply 93March 25, 2017 9:16 PM

Vienetta's still a popular dessert over here in the UK - you can get it in most major supermarkets (I have extremely fond memories of my classmates and I going to Asda when we were in Uni and getting about ten of the damned things to piss off the Solitary Posh Boy on our course. I also learned how to make the most disgusting - and remarkably delicious - cocktail with a Vienetta - take one quarter of a Vienetta, add about 100ml of Baileys, handful of ice, blitz in a blender, pour into a small tankard whilst drizzling in chocolate syrup and finish with M&Ms. Just pray you don't vomit). Chicken Tonight was something that I discovered, quite by accident, that one of the sauces - the mushroom one, I believe - could make a very decent stroganof base.

We used to have Marathon over here, but it was changed to the god-awful-sounding Snickers decades ago. Marathon/Snickers were never my favourite - peanuts getting stuck in your teeth, yick! - but my thing was the raisin and biscuit Yorkie bar. Good God, yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 25, 2017 9:30 PM

Danish white chocolate bars. Made by Neilson's, I think only in Canada

by Anonymousreply 95March 25, 2017 9:35 PM

Speaking of which, Diet Cherry Coke. It's impossible to find around here.

I was out of state last summer for a few months, and the availability of Diet Cherry Coke was the only good thing about the entire experience.

by Anonymousreply 96March 25, 2017 9:36 PM

Dr. Pepper with real sugar

by Anonymousreply 97March 25, 2017 9:37 PM

If a product is still manufactured, but you can't find it at any local stores and don't want to buy it online, you can ask your local supermarket manager to order it for you. It might be somewhat pricey, however.

by Anonymousreply 98March 25, 2017 9:41 PM

r76 I fondly remember the beef stroganoff variety of that line of boxed foods. Was there a cooking pan included in the box, or am I misremembering?

Are Schweppes' sodas still made? I sure miss their Bitter Lemon. You had to CAREFULLY tilt the bottle several times to stir up the lemon solids that had settled on the bottom. Can't find good sour lemon hard andies anymore.

Hydro cookies. THEIR version of Oreos was far superior, and Raisin Cookies(flat pastry layers with a jelly-like raisin filling) were much better than the knockoff that Vermont Country Store sells.

by Anonymousreply 99March 25, 2017 9:43 PM

Snacking cake. Came in different flavors

by Anonymousreply 100March 25, 2017 9:45 PM

Cambell's Souper Combos that were mentioned upthread. I wonder why they didn't take off?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 25, 2017 9:51 PM

[quote][R76] I fondly remember the beef stroganoff variety of that line of boxed foods. Was there a cooking pan included in the box, or am I misremembering?

Hi, R99. The product I remember didn't include a pan. I think they recommended cooking in either a 10-inch frying pan or a fairly large saucepan, so it wouldn't have been practical. Can't think of a similar product, though, that would have included something to cook in.

by Anonymousreply 102March 25, 2017 10:03 PM

IIRC, I think it was called "lik-ade," a tart fruit drink that came in a plain semi-clear 8 oz. plastic container with a foil peel off lid (unless you preferred to poke it open). lik-ade was stamped on the small foil lid and that was the extent of the labeling. There were several flavors and they were cheap. 15¢ 40 years ago.

Every bodega I've ever stepped into sold them. The lime and the fruit punch were my favorite flavors. Chugging one down provided a pleasing, throat burning sensation. The last time I saw these was maybe 15 years ago sold by the flat in only one or two flavors at Big Lots or some raggedy generic brands grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 103March 25, 2017 10:12 PM

R94, Yorkie Raisin & Biscuit was my fave when I lived in England—please don't tell me they've phased it out!

I was, however, a little put off when their motto was "not for girls" (even though I'm not a girl).

by Anonymousreply 104March 25, 2017 10:13 PM

R70, that's what I was going to mention - some of my favorites still exist, but they no longer taste like they used to.

One example is Campbell's Tomato Bisque soup - that stuff was just luscious, tomato-y and creamy,. I could literally eat it straight from the can. Now it tastes fake and nasty.

Another is Francesca Rinaldi's Sweet and Tasty Tomato Sauce. It was loaded with little chunks of tomato and full of tomato flavor. Recently the company changed the recipe, and the flavor and texture are completely different.

by Anonymousreply 105March 25, 2017 10:15 PM

I miss the raspberry New York Seltzer that was sold in the small glass bottles. This product is ~back but it's being sold in cans and I haven't been able to try it yet.

by Anonymousreply 106March 25, 2017 10:21 PM

Two things.

Hershey's Ice Cream

Cragmont Sparkling Punch Soda

by Anonymousreply 107March 25, 2017 10:28 PM

Franks Sodas (especially the black cherry)

Diet Pepsi Twist (had a lemony taste)

Candy: Chuckles, Smoothies (peanut-butter version of Mallo Cups) and Clark Bars.

by Anonymousreply 108March 25, 2017 10:35 PM

I also loved ben and jerry's white Russian ice cream, along with Wavy Gravy they were my two favorites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109March 25, 2017 10:51 PM

Ben and Jerry's had a fro-yo flavor that got me through college back in the aughts. It's long been discontinued -- SAD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110March 25, 2017 11:00 PM

Before they came out with that version of it Ragu had another cacciatore sauce that was the best. Maybe the one you mention OP was the same with a different name. All I know is for decades I've tried to make a sauce that tastes as good or find one at a restaurant from pizza places to fine Italian restaurants and I've never found any cacciatore sauce as good.

I also miss Bird's Eye cool and creamy puddings that everyone I knew said were the best puddings they ever tasted, especially the milk chocolate flavor. It came out in several flavors at the same time Cool Whip came out, late 60s. For reasons I will never understand plastic, horrible tasting Cool Whip is still around and Cool and Creamy pudding didn't make it past the early 70s. I know it sold well because the markets were always sold out except for the vanilla flavor which was the least tasty of them all, but still good.

I also miss Whip 'n Chill. It was like a poor man's chocolate mousse. It was like eating a cloud. I think it's still available through one of those old time candy places online but it's not the same ingredients as the real one. I'm sure it won't taste as good. Nothing does these days.

That's one thing that can keep us from missing the foods that no longer exist, because everything, food and everything else that existed decades ago is nothing like it was then and not for the better. A hadn't had a Drakes Yodel in maybe 25 - 30 years and saw some in this little dumpy store I went into to get some gum. I had a sudden craving and bought a package of 2 of them. One bite and in the garbage it went. Not only did it taste like plastic but plastic that had been dipped in some chemical, which I'm sure it was.

Does anyone who's been around long enough to remember when things were good know of anything, from food to appliances, that is better these days than they were long ago? I don't think so. I don't mean in a more powerful computer way, but in a quality way.

by Anonymousreply 111March 25, 2017 11:02 PM

Gilbert Brockmeyer ice cream. It was a hippy-natural brand back in the 70s. I liked the vanilla because it was sweetened with honey so it was like honey ice cream.

Campbell Tomato Beef Noodle-o's.

by Anonymousreply 112March 25, 2017 11:06 PM

I saw Fruitopia on a McDonalds soda fountain a few years ago near the Luxor hotel on Las Vegas strip. It's weird how a product like that could still be produced but remains so rare.

I remember tasting Fruitopia for the first time. The flavor profile is unique and it's very, very strong. Basically Hawaiian punch with a twist for adults.

by Anonymousreply 113March 25, 2017 11:08 PM

Brook's Catsup (I think it's made in Canada now). Dromedary Date Nut Bread Derby Beef Tamales: my Mom was bereft when they were discontinued.

by Anonymousreply 114March 25, 2017 11:16 PM

^^Sorry about the formatting.

by Anonymousreply 115March 25, 2017 11:17 PM

Keebler's O'Boisie potato chips and and Tater Skins. Man, those chips were the bomb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116March 25, 2017 11:22 PM

[quote]Regal Crown Sour Cherry candies.

Oh my God, I loved those. I'd stock up on them every time I traveled to NYC in high school and college.

by Anonymousreply 117March 25, 2017 11:30 PM

Haagen Dazs chocolate chocolate mint. It tasted just like Frangos, the delicious chocolate mints sold by Marshall Field's department store. I haven't seen it since the 90s.

Sunshine Lemon Coolers. Had tangy bits of lemon in them, covered in powdered sugar. They've been reintroduced by a different company since they disappeared in the 80s, but supposedly they don't taste the same.

7 Up candy bars. They had seven different fillings in chocolate covered segments, like a box of chocolates in a candy bar. I remember the cherry, brazil nut and coconut. Yum. They stopped making them in the late 70s, and I still think about them.

by Anonymousreply 118March 25, 2017 11:48 PM

[quote]Cragmont Sparkling Punch Soda

Wasn't Cragmont the Safeway house brand?

by Anonymousreply 119March 26, 2017 12:04 AM

R119 Yes, but they switched to Refreshe. Not sure if that still continues after the Albertsons merger, however.

by Anonymousreply 120March 26, 2017 12:06 AM

R116 Those chips were so good!

by Anonymousreply 121March 26, 2017 12:16 AM

Wendy's Fresh Stuffed Pitas, McDonald's Crispy Chicken Deluxe

by Anonymousreply 122March 26, 2017 12:23 AM

R117, thanks for the memory. I'd forgotten all about them. I LOVED them. I would just about rot my teeth eating them. I couldn't stop. I guess I did because it's been decades since I had one. I think they became harder and harder to find but when I was young every store in NYC (where I grew up) that sold Lifesavers type candy had them. I remember sneaking them while I was sitting in class and we weren't allowed to eat or chew anything.

by Anonymousreply 123March 26, 2017 12:29 AM

Snapple used to have cherry lime Rickey soda. My fav!

by Anonymousreply 124March 26, 2017 12:36 AM

R92, Haagen-Dazs is making Cookies & Cream again. It's not necessarily available everywhere you find Haagen-Dazs, however. Certain chains have an exclusive on certain flavors, e.g., I can only get my favorite, Pralines & Cream, at Walgreen's.

by Anonymousreply 125March 26, 2017 1:07 AM

For r92:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 26, 2017 1:08 AM

Yeah, but it isn't the same as it used to be, R28. For some reason, they switched to making the Peanut Butter Twix with a chocolate cookie-bar - when they used to make the peanut butter Twix with the "plain"-flavored cookie bar that they still use in the caramel version. Based on my memory, I prefer the old version of Peanut Butter Twix - with the plain, non-chocolate cookie bar.

by Anonymousreply 127March 26, 2017 1:32 AM

I loved McDonald's breakfast danishes as a kid. All three flavors were good, but I especially liked the cheese danish (with the apple danish a very close 2nd).

by Anonymousreply 128March 26, 2017 1:35 AM

R42 - when it comes to candy, people are often nostalgic for candy that was more widely available in their youth. Many kids who had a kid-like sweet tooth found those candy cigarettes to be good. And, yes - I do remember playing "grown up" with that candy and pretending like I was taking legitimate drags of the real thing. And no, I didn't "graduate" to the real thing.

I can understand why they may not be very available these days, though.

by Anonymousreply 129March 26, 2017 1:37 AM

There was a brief period where there was a coffee-flavored Twix. Mmmmmm.

Of course, that was before I cut out my carbs.

by Anonymousreply 130March 26, 2017 1:42 AM

Kellogg's Danish Go Rounds from the early 70's. There were a toaster treat but much better than Pop-tarts. Not sure why they took those off the market but kept the Pop-tarts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 26, 2017 1:44 AM

Many years ago, there was a brand of frozen lima beans with little squares of cheddar cheese. When cooked, it was a great way to get in your daily veg.

And Nabisco Zweiback. Even as an adult, I would go through an entire box, dipping the biscuits in a glass of milk.

by Anonymousreply 132March 26, 2017 1:53 AM

To the Hydrox fan, I'm sure I've seen them very recently when I was helping my mother find something in the cookie aisle at Kroger. What caught my eye was the peculiar type in the old-fashioned logo.

I was hoping Fruitopia might make a return with the new Coke machines that dispense hundreds of combinations but no such luck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133March 26, 2017 2:10 AM

Sbarro spinach calzones.

by Anonymousreply 134March 26, 2017 2:24 AM

Does anyone remember when ice cream parlors (I guess first I should ask if anyone remembers ice cream parlors) made handmade cherry lime rickeys? R124, your post made me think of them. They were so delicious and refreshing. In the better parlors they would put lots of real cherries in them, not the ones from the jar, but pitted. They used a bit of cherry syrup. They were not too sweet, so yes refreshing. They used real limes, not lime juice or lemon lime soda. And really cold and strong seltzer. They were served with a long ice tea spoon for eating the cherries.

Now that I remember the parlors, it's been longer than I can remember since I had a genuine banana spilt, a whole banana, split the long way. 3 scoops of ice cream, real ice cream, not air filled plastic. There was a choice of 6 toppings, 3 things like hot fudge, marshmallow, strawberry with real fresh strawberries in it, caramel and such and then 3 things on top of that like nuts or cherries or sprinkles or other fruits, or coconut and on top of all that real homemade whipped cream and 3 cherries with the stem. Oh man what a treat. It was usually reserved for when someone was having a birthday or special occasion or got an especially good report card. Things like that. I don't think any kid could eat dinner on the day they got one of those banana splits. They filled you up for the entire day. Oh and the good ice cream parlors would serve all their ice cream treats with a long holder with those long pretzel logs and cold water on the side. Nothing goes better with ice cream treats than those long salty pretzels and some cold, but not ice water.

Ahhh, days gone by. If I ate that now I'd probably have a heart attack or stroke before I left the place. But I'd go with a smile on my face.

by Anonymousreply 135March 26, 2017 2:25 AM

I don't think this exists anymore -- haven't seen it in any grocery stores in California the last couple of years. Nestle Crisp Crunch. An odd name, for sure, but dangerously addictive. It consisted of very crisp, light airy waffers with thin layers of milk chocolate and a thing Nestle Crunch chocolate coating.

Kit Kat tried a similar thing --making a version of Kit Kat with more emphasis on the crunchy wafer than on the chocolate -- but it wasn't nearly as good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136March 26, 2017 2:38 AM

r128

McDonald's danish were Sara Lees

by Anonymousreply 137March 26, 2017 2:43 AM

Pepsi Light Morton's Honey Buns

by Anonymousreply 138March 26, 2017 2:45 AM

Nabisco used to make these cookies that came in a blue box. It was like two vanilla wafers with marshmallow in the middle. So freakin' good!

by Anonymousreply 139March 26, 2017 2:46 AM

You can get Hydrox on Amazon. I miss French Vanilla Creams. They were cookies made by Keebler (I think).

by Anonymousreply 140March 26, 2017 2:46 AM

Butter rum lifesaver candy

by Anonymousreply 141March 26, 2017 2:51 AM

R69, "Cream Of Blargh" made me laugh way too damn hard.

by Anonymousreply 142March 26, 2017 2:54 AM

Starbucks ice cream. I don't buy their coffee, but I loved the ice cream. Trader Joe's Coffee Bean Blast comes pretty close.

by Anonymousreply 143March 26, 2017 3:06 AM

Dairy Queen had so many milkshake flavours, and now only have about 6. My favorite was butterscotch.

by Anonymousreply 144March 26, 2017 3:17 AM

Sealtest Ice Cream, in half-gallons and goldish-colored packaging. They made a combo chocolate and orange sherbet, which my late grandmother loved!

by Anonymousreply 145March 26, 2017 3:19 AM

[quote]Starbucks ice cream. I don't buy their coffee, but I loved the ice cream. Trader Joe's Coffee Bean Blast comes pretty close.

Yes! Their Java Chip ice cream went especially well with a generous splash of whiskey.

by Anonymousreply 146March 26, 2017 3:49 AM

FYI, if you miss McDonald's deep fried apple pie you can get it at Taco Bell. They call it a caramel apple empanada.

by Anonymousreply 147March 26, 2017 3:53 AM

I probably wouldn't like it anymore, but when I was a kid, I loved Bireley's Orange Drink. It only came in bottles, and it was not carbonated. (Back then, I hated carbonated beverages.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148March 26, 2017 3:59 AM

R46 I got some of those to pull a prank on my sister. She's a regular smoker and I had her kids put them in their mouths and act like they were smoking her cigs, she was furious. Not sure if it was b/c she thought they had her cigs or b/c she thought they were smoking.

by Anonymousreply 149March 26, 2017 3:59 AM

I enjoyed making Jell-O 1-2-3. I felt like such a fancy chef, for a gayling. The layers never came out even, for me, though. One layer was always too thin. It was a gimmick dessert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150March 26, 2017 4:06 AM

Wolfenberry cereal was a limited edition monster cereal, released after Count Chocula, Frankenberry and Boo Berry.

It was rebranded as Fruit Brute nationally.

by Anonymousreply 151March 26, 2017 4:10 AM

Dole Mountain Cherry Juice ( I miss us...)

Chocolate Carnation Instant Breakfast bars back in the 70s/early 80s were cocoa, cakey deliciousness. Nothing like the samey kudos granola type bars they have morphed into.

by Anonymousreply 152March 26, 2017 4:30 AM

Gatorade Gum, tangerine lifesavers, Morton's honey buns

by Anonymousreply 153March 26, 2017 4:31 AM

Freshen Up,the gum that goes squirt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154March 26, 2017 4:34 AM

I remember those!!

by Anonymousreply 155March 26, 2017 4:36 AM

Toasted Almond ice cream bars

by Anonymousreply 156March 26, 2017 4:41 AM

Shake a pudding was so choice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157March 26, 2017 4:42 AM

Frosted Mini Wheats in their original, mouth-stuffing size.

Now they only sell bite-size, little squares and it is not the same experience!

by Anonymousreply 158March 26, 2017 4:46 AM

Today, the only vanilla sandwich cookies I can find are Golden Oreos. There used to be a few others when I was growing up.

Nabisco made Oreo Swiss (I think they were called).

Sunshine made Cookie Break cookies, which came in a red package, and had a logo of a guy in a hot air balloon.

And as someone mentions above, Keebler had French Vanilla Cremes.

by Anonymousreply 159March 26, 2017 4:54 AM

I also miss the little boxes of Nabisco Snaps cookies. I remember the Chocolate and Chocolate Chip, but looks like the also had Vanilla and Ginger Snaps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160March 26, 2017 4:59 AM

R159 What about Vienna Fingers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161March 26, 2017 5:00 AM

If you have a Kroger in your area , R159, their cheapo Pssssst! Brand of vanilla cremes is good. The peanut butter ones are even better, and they're 2 bucks for a good-sized package.

by Anonymousreply 162March 26, 2017 5:04 AM

Oh, you're right R161. I'm not a huge fan of the Vienna Fingers, though. I think they still make Cameo cookies too, but no one near me carries them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163March 26, 2017 5:10 AM

Allan and Hanbury's black currant pastilles. The original ones, with the shiny, smooth coating. They were supposed to be throat drops but they tasted like candy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164March 26, 2017 5:12 AM

Dannon Boysenberry Yogurt.

by Anonymousreply 165March 26, 2017 5:16 AM

Anyone remember Great Shakes, in the tetrahedonal packets?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166March 26, 2017 5:20 AM

Clearly Canadian soft drinks

by Anonymousreply 167March 26, 2017 5:21 AM

Digiorno pasta and marinara sauce

by Anonymousreply 168March 26, 2017 5:23 AM

When i was a kiddie growing up in the 70s there was a flavor of tea called Pellican Punch made by Celestial Seasonings. It was delicious and had this charming Illustration on the packaging.

by Anonymousreply 169March 26, 2017 5:43 AM

r151 Fruit Brute? Jesus Christ, no wonder why it never took off. That sounds like an S&M dom's bad t-shirt slogan.

by Anonymousreply 170March 26, 2017 5:53 AM

Fruit Brute even made an appearance in Pulp Fiction.

Wolfenberry was sold in Michigan and Midwestern cities.

by Anonymousreply 171March 26, 2017 6:12 AM

That Appian Way Pizza at R4 (which I've never heard of before) is bonkers. They haven't changed their typeface/box design since the 70s, evidently.

by Anonymousreply 172March 26, 2017 6:16 AM

I've been fascinated by country club ice cream since reading about it here years ago. Part of the allure was the name. So mysterious. What about those flavors merited the name "country club"? And why such a strange combination of flavors? Orange and coffee. So many questions. There isn't much about it online. It's spumoni through a glass darkly, or the third, forgotten member of the abstractly named ice cream triplets, with rocky road and tin roof. Help me to understand.

by Anonymousreply 173March 26, 2017 6:22 AM

Shaw Farm in Dracut, MA has Country Club, but it's called Grandfather's Favorite. And instead of being in layers, it's swirled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174March 26, 2017 7:11 AM

With Russian agents running the country, it's a perfect time to reintroduce Noodles Romanoff! There have been no frozen or mix versions since the Cold War ended...the best was Betty Crocker's (that Commie!)

Aunt Jemima made a delightful strusel topped coffee cake mix (squeeze the bag to mix, then bake in the supplied pan). Gone. Her cornbread too.

Don't get me started on General Mill's breakfast bars. Or Kelloggs Concentrate. Or Space Food Sticks.

by Anonymousreply 175March 26, 2017 7:55 AM

Shamitoff's chocolate covered cherry ice cream bars. I haven't seen this brand in decades.

Burger King's Mushroom Swiss melt burger.

I just saw Ice Cube chocolates at the grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 176March 26, 2017 9:36 AM

Starbucks ice cream.

McDonald's fried apple pies. The baked ones are missing something. I never buy the baked ones.

by Anonymousreply 177March 26, 2017 9:41 AM

[quote]Wolfenberry cereal was a limited edition monster cereal, released after Count Chocula, Frankenberry and Boo Berry.

Didn't they have a mummy-themed one as well?

by Anonymousreply 178March 26, 2017 10:55 AM

Chocolate Koogle Peanut Spread and I still get a hankering for a Chipwich once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 179March 26, 2017 11:01 AM

Mystic Mint cookies. Best cookies ever.

by Anonymousreply 180March 26, 2017 12:00 PM

Rumor has it that Noodles Romanoff wins the ninth season of Drag Race.

by Anonymousreply 181March 26, 2017 12:08 PM

I loved Kellogg's Concentrate. For years I thought it was basically sweetened wheat germ, but wheat germ was only one ingredient. It was several grains mixed together and formed into tiny flakes that were 40% protein. Had a nice toasted flavor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182March 26, 2017 12:10 PM

Ditto R44!!!!!

Nice memory, R71 - what a lucky duck!

by Anonymousreply 183March 26, 2017 1:20 PM

Someone, I think Stouffer's, had something similar to those R101, I guess about 5 years ago. You'd get a little soup ramekin and a panini type sandwich, and it was pretty good but not earth-shattering. I'd bet the 1980s version of those tasted even blander.

The guy in that commercial looks sooo dang familiar.

by Anonymousreply 184March 26, 2017 1:46 PM

Yes, R167! I loved the loganberry flavor. Man, I think those things got me through college, but I haven't seen them since the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 185March 26, 2017 1:53 PM

"Clearly Canadian soft drinks"

Lol. In high school, I made a big deal about "quitting" soda for a month - I usually drank Coke and Dr Pepper. Clearly Canadian had an air of being something healthier with its elegantly shaped blue bottle and clear contents. So, I drank cherry Clearly Canadian for a month. It looked like mineral water and was sort of sold as mineral water, but it was "clearly" sweetened. it was soda. But, I didn't drink it quite as much as I did regular soda, so there was a minor healthiness improvement.

by Anonymousreply 186March 26, 2017 2:10 PM

Anybody remember this ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187March 26, 2017 2:17 PM

sorry , forgot to mention they were call Watchamacallit.

by Anonymousreply 188March 26, 2017 2:18 PM

Watchamacallits were my favorite candy bar of the 80s!! They do still sell them, I don't know if the recipe has changed any.

by Anonymousreply 189March 26, 2017 2:28 PM

I thought there was some site where you can find discontinued products.

by Anonymousreply 190March 26, 2017 2:30 PM

I use to live on this stuff in the late 80's Raspberry was my fav.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191March 26, 2017 2:31 PM

Does anyone remember Canada Dry Lime soda?

by Anonymousreply 192March 26, 2017 3:01 PM

You all type fat.

by Anonymousreply 193March 26, 2017 3:05 PM

R188 Yes they changed the recipe to make it more cost effective and it is not the same. Sigh!

by Anonymousreply 194March 26, 2017 3:08 PM

Watchamacallits are still sold at the nearby Kwik Shop, but they don't taste quite the same. There was a kind of malt flavor to them when I was a kid that's missing now. They're still good though.

by Anonymousreply 195March 26, 2017 3:09 PM

Les Framboises, a French hard candy I loved in the 1960s.

In searching for a pic, I found out they're still available at a place called amishshop dot com.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196March 26, 2017 3:16 PM

Lots of flavors at the Amish Shop:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197March 26, 2017 3:17 PM

I remember them well but from the 80s and I do believe they still exist for sale I have seen them here in NY in better store.

by Anonymousreply 198March 26, 2017 3:23 PM

Anyone remember these? When my mother would take me to work with her as a child in the 70s she would buy these in the lobby of the building she worked in, they were chalky and tasted like lavender. I always thought they were very pretty and elegant. I could never just eat one and would down them in a few minutes. Made your breath very pleasant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199March 26, 2017 3:28 PM

Nasty smelling, R199. I ate one once, and gave the rest to my grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 200March 26, 2017 3:32 PM

When I was growing up in NYC I always had Violets. Only the candy, the gun sucked. I don't know if they are still sold in NYC, because I moved away as a teen, but I've never seen them sold anywhere else besides NYC. These days you can buy them on Amazon. They smell & taste exactly the same, & send me to nostalgia heaven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201March 26, 2017 3:33 PM

Keebler's Magic Middles Cookies

Planter's Cheez Balls

Clearly Canadian flavored sodas

by Anonymousreply 202March 26, 2017 3:47 PM

I tried searching "grandfather's favorite" and only got some not very nice intergenerational incest porn : (

by Anonymousreply 203March 26, 2017 4:26 PM

For r94 and r104 - Yorkie raisin and biscuit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204March 26, 2017 4:28 PM

Doo-dads

by Anonymousreply 205March 26, 2017 5:09 PM

Up until the late 1980s, the Pastorelli brand sold a boxed pizza kit that looked like it had been on the shelf since 1960---what a great throwback design it had. I bought it once just for the look of it. It wasn't that great, but it wasn't that bad, either. I wish I'd kept the box around for the nostalgia factor, but now I can't even find a picture of it to post here.

by Anonymousreply 206March 26, 2017 5:15 PM

I agree about the Callard and Bowsers Liquorish. It was buttery and chewy and very liquorishy. I wanted to say Junket Rennet Custard, but I googled it and found that you can buy it at Shoprite. Loved the chocolate and also the raspberry.

Russell Stover used to make an easter egg that was covered with pecans and had a center that was similar to penuche fudge. I found something similar at Cracker Barrel but it wasn't quite as good.

by Anonymousreply 207March 26, 2017 5:50 PM

R169, while Celestial Seasonings won't divulge the actual amounts, the ingredients of Pelican Punch are: Peppermint leaves, roasted barley malt, chamomile flowers, roasted carob, foenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, and natural vanilla flavor.

Maybe you can whip up something on your own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208March 26, 2017 5:53 PM

This doesn't count because they are still available in Ireland, but I miss Curly Wurly bars. My gran always brings them to me when she comes to visit.

by Anonymousreply 209March 26, 2017 5:56 PM

[quote]If you have a Kroger in your area, their cheapo Pssssst! Brand of vanilla cremes is good.

I've bought that brand of egg noodles but wondered why you'd give a brand a name that's unpronounceable. It looks like it would sound like "pissed."

My favorite lost food, or shall we say, food substitute is Dexamyl Spansules. It contained Dexedrine sulfate and amobarbital in a beautiful capsule: green on one side, clear on the other, with cone shaped ends, and filled with tiny white and green time-released pellets. People called them "Christmas trees."

by Anonymousreply 210March 26, 2017 6:35 PM

Wait. Wait. Di' shomeone shay liquorish??

I'm here. I'm here. I'm fine. I wa' jush reshing my eyezh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211March 26, 2017 6:49 PM

Yon Violet sweets sound and look like a "popular" (heh, unless you're sixty) sweet here in the UK that we call Parma Violets. Nasty fucking things.

You know, a fair few of the "iconic" items that people here remember from their childhoods are still available. We don't really do product churning, whereby one product is simply discontinued because the manufacturer wants to make something different (god help them if they do...) - one such product that's still being made in pretty much the same way since inception is Tunnock's Tea Cakes. Basically, they're a shortbread base, on which you find a dome of marshmallow, topped with milk or plain chocolate. They're *really* popular in Scotland, to the point of being a cultural icon - the wrapper especially so (picture below!) The wrapper design dates from the 1920s, similarly the *seriously* good Caramel Wafer's wrapper design dates from the same period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212March 26, 2017 6:53 PM

I agree R180. I'll add choc-o-lite candy bars.

by Anonymousreply 213March 26, 2017 6:56 PM

[quote] Can't think of a similar product, though, that would have included something to cook in.

Microwave cakes came with their own pans. I was never able to get them fully cooked. There was always a raw bit in the middle, but it tasted ok.

Used to buy nestles toll house cookie mix. Just add water and make be egg, can't remember. Now you can only buy raw ones in the refrigerator section. Not as good.

Everything is too sweet today because of that fucking corn syrup.

When you think of a superior product that was discontinued while an inferior one is still available, be assured it's due to cost. The manufacturers find people will pay just as much for the inferior product, so they ditch the more expensive version.

Le Menu was discontinued because they were one of the first microwave meals. They used very good ingredients and tasted great. But Stouffers came along with cheaper microwave meals and Le Menu (First owned by Swanson, then Campbell's) couldn't keep up. They were losing money while Stouffers gained. So, bye bye Le Menu.

by Anonymousreply 214March 26, 2017 7:14 PM

Le Menu was supposed to be more of an upscale tv-dinner.

by Anonymousreply 215March 26, 2017 7:29 PM

Kellogg's Concentrate had a large proportion of wheat gluten, R182. That might make it a problem in today's gluten averse world. In fact, I've seen postings elsewhere alleging that Kellogg's got downright prickly when some asked them to make Concentrate again.

by Anonymousreply 216March 26, 2017 7:31 PM

Aspen apple soda in the late 70s/early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 217March 26, 2017 7:34 PM

Like cola from 1982.

by Anonymousreply 218March 26, 2017 7:36 PM

Whatever happened to TAB?

by Anonymousreply 219March 26, 2017 7:39 PM

They still make Tab cola.

by Anonymousreply 220March 26, 2017 7:41 PM

Le Menu must have been expensive to make due to the reusable microwave plates and vented covers. I had a friend who'd make a pan of lasagna and freeze individual portions on the plates, covered in plastic wrap and the vented cover.

I can remember occasionally using the plates as saucers for potted plants outdoors.

by Anonymousreply 221March 26, 2017 7:48 PM

Apple Slice soda from 1984.

by Anonymousreply 222March 26, 2017 7:56 PM

Whatchamacallits had an airy peanut butter quality that is now like a generic granola bar. The chocolate is also much cheaper and sweeter.

by Anonymousreply 223March 26, 2017 8:00 PM

I can't remember what it was called but in the 80's there was a ball with candy on one side and a toy you had to put together on the other, the candy was kind of generic but pretty good and the toys were usually pretty decent and if I'm remembering correctly at Easter the balls were swapped out for plastic eggs.

by Anonymousreply 224March 26, 2017 8:03 PM

It wasn't the plates, it was the ingredients. Most microwave meals come in a container that probably costs nearly as much as the Le Menu.

Those cooked carrots from Le Menu do not exist in other microwave meals. You can't buy microwave chicken cordon bleu anymore, let alone microwave cordon bleu with vegetables. Some stores have frozen cordon bleu, but it is raw and you have to cook it in an oven for at least 20 minutes.

I was reading a nostalgia message board and someone who worked at the factory where Le Menu was made said they tried to substitute cheaper stuff, but it didn't work. Plus, Stouffers was coming out with Lean Cuisines. There were only a few Lean Cuisine meals at the time, but they were less than 300 calories and had a lower amount of fat. Women started buying Lean Cuisines instead of Le Menu.

I worked the night shift in the 80s and was very grateful for Le Menus. They weren't like regular frozen food. They really tasted home cooked. Lean Cuisines weren't nearly as good, and had half the amount of food.

by Anonymousreply 225March 26, 2017 8:07 PM

I *LOVED* Clearly Canadian, especially the cherry flavor. Sometimes when my mom brought me home from school, she would reward me by taking me to get a frozen yogurt (usually with a topping) and one of these to wash it down. Goddamn, they were good. Those flavored sparkling waters the grocery stores sell today just do not cut it.

by Anonymousreply 226March 26, 2017 8:13 PM

Before they came up with Jalapeno Jack there was something much better called Pizza Cheese. I think it a mozzarella type cheese with tiny specs of pepperoni and other pizza flavors in it. I wish I could still find it.

by Anonymousreply 227March 26, 2017 8:23 PM

I remember pizza cheese!

by Anonymousreply 228March 26, 2017 8:35 PM

Ice cube chocolates are still around. Specialty bulk candy stores usually carry them. There is one here called Bitterman's.

by Anonymousreply 229March 26, 2017 9:56 PM

Does anyone recall Schweppes ginger beer? It was like root beer, only rootier. I haven't seen it in decades.

by Anonymousreply 230March 26, 2017 10:02 PM

Clearly Canadian seems to be trying to make a come back, but it's only available wholesale by the palette at the moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231March 26, 2017 10:06 PM

Canfields Chocolate Crème diet soda. My mother was a diet soda addict when I was growing up. It was Tab and Fresca in the 70s and during the 80s and 90s there was that weird obscure soda that only like a handful of places sold. There was also this soda I loved as a kid called Manhattan Special. It was like an espresso soda. It was really good with half and half or milk. It was especially popular in Italian neighborhoods around NYC. Never see it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 232March 26, 2017 10:12 PM

I'm another one who loved Le Menu. I had just graduated from college and bought several of them each week because they were easy to fix.

The drama department of my college started collecting the plates. They used them to lay out makeup for the actors. At each actor's seat was a Le Menu plate with a tube of greasepaint, a rouge, an eyeliner and a lipstick.

by Anonymousreply 233March 26, 2017 10:39 PM

Back when Famous Amos was become a huge cookie baron they were pushing a drink called Famous Amos Diet Chocolate Sundae Soda, everyone I knew couldn't finish a can of this this out gagging but for me it was nectar of the gods and I use to make special trips to the store to buy a few cans and and after a month the owner said "I'm the only person he knew who drank this crap" and the next week he told me I could buy his remaining inventory of 10 cases for 7 cents a can. I was in heaven for a while and remember where I was when I drank the last can like I remember where I was at 911 and can only hope someone like Netfilx reboots it again, alas.

by Anonymousreply 234March 26, 2017 10:39 PM

[quote]If you have a Kroger in your area, their cheapo Pssssst! Brand of vanilla cremes is good.

Psssst used to be something your sprayed in your hair to make it look like you washed it. Oh those 1970s inventions!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235March 26, 2017 10:45 PM

Canfields soda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236March 26, 2017 10:57 PM

[quote]Canfields soda.

Canfields diet chocolate is still sold in NYC. It has a harsh chemical taste to it.

by Anonymousreply 237March 26, 2017 11:06 PM

I am with everyone who mentioned Original New York Seltzer. The peach flavor was my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238March 26, 2017 11:14 PM

Frozen Morton cinnamon sugar doughnuts. My mom used to make them, damn they were good. If you overcooked them just a bit the sugar on the bottom would get all crunchy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239March 26, 2017 11:25 PM

I should probably turn in my man card right now but I really loved those Snack well chocolate yogurts. I had a coworker who used to buy them by the box for me, just like in the commercials.

by Anonymousreply 240March 26, 2017 11:26 PM

No one's mentioned this, but I'll never stop missing it. The cheddar cheese soup that Denny's used to have, only Wednesdays. They never should have done away with it, it was the best.

by Anonymousreply 241March 26, 2017 11:42 PM

We used to microwave those doughnuts R239, just like fresh baked out of the oven. LOL

by Anonymousreply 242March 26, 2017 11:44 PM

Re 240, I loved those Snackwell Chocolate Yogurts. They were great, why would they discontinue them? Just like my Diet Pepsi Twist!

by Anonymousreply 243March 27, 2017 1:06 AM

Mrs. Smith's Carrot Cake

I used to buy them with my lawn-mowing money then burn off the calories mowing more lawns. Life was uncomplicated then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244March 27, 2017 1:14 AM

Ideal cookies….(Nabisco?)

by Anonymousreply 245March 27, 2017 1:18 AM

Switzer's licorice.

by Anonymousreply 246March 27, 2017 1:21 AM

R196, some Cost Plus stores carry those French candies as well.

by Anonymousreply 247March 27, 2017 1:40 AM

Not sure of the brand but different flavor peanut butters. I know there was chocolate, vanilla and banana and possibly one or two other flavors.

by Anonymousreply 248March 27, 2017 2:19 AM

R243, I think some news show like 2020 did an exposé of the fat-free food craze in the 90s and how basically they made up for it by boosting the sugar content. It was against a number of brands but Snackwells faded from the stores after that. I think it was a Nabisco subsidiary. Whatever, they were damn tasty. And when you eat 3 of those little cups it defeats the purpose anyway.

by Anonymousreply 249March 27, 2017 2:43 AM

[quote]Rumor has it that Noodles Romanoff wins the ninth season of Drag Race.

God I hope so - I've spent years trying to replicate that shit!

by Anonymousreply 250March 27, 2017 2:59 AM

The Hazelnut Roll - These things were an Aussie legend in the 70s and 80s... Yum. The only thing that could stop a child's tantrum in its tracks, sure thing! When Nestle took over the company that made them seven years ago they discontinued (to much scandal) due to the fact they couldn't compete with the likes of Magnum in the freezers. Of course there are facebook pages dedicated to making its return.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251March 27, 2017 3:21 AM

Kissel. It was similar to yogurt. Violet pastilles in a metal tin from either France or England.

by Anonymousreply 252March 27, 2017 3:25 AM

Do they still make Boone's Farm strawberry wine?

by Anonymousreply 253March 27, 2017 3:32 AM

Boku, the juice box for adults. I still remember the ads for it with Richard Lewis that ran during Anything but Love. You couldn't escape him.

by Anonymousreply 254March 27, 2017 3:38 AM

Blue Nun, Riunniti on Ice...so nice. LONGHORN CHEDDAR from Safeway.

by Anonymousreply 255March 27, 2017 3:47 AM

R253 unfortunately it's still around....it triggers my PTSD

by Anonymousreply 256March 27, 2017 3:52 AM

I had an argument with a friend over Clearly Canadian, who thought it was mineral water. I told her it was just pop without coloring, it still contained sugar. She countered with "It has ALL NATURAL flavorings." I said, "So does Coca-Cola."

She quit drinking it.

by Anonymousreply 257March 27, 2017 3:56 AM

Champale

by Anonymousreply 258March 27, 2017 4:06 AM

Sunshine Golden Raisin Biscuits.

There's a British version called Garibaldi Wafers. They're good but not an exact duplicate because Garibaldi's uses currants instead of raisins, and the pastry is less chewy and more crumbly. They also don't have that glossy surface that I remember. Vermont Country Store sells them. but they're pricey.

I read somewhere that Coward's Violet candies were first sold during Prohibition, and they were used to disguise the smell of liquor on your breath.

by Anonymousreply 259March 27, 2017 4:09 AM

The original Famous Amos. Not the crap they sell in vending machines now, but the original sweet little sack with Amos on the packaging rolling a cookie on his finger like a basketball. Those cookies were so delicious, so textured and smelled so good that I nearly cried when I tasted the corporate replacements.

by Anonymousreply 260March 27, 2017 4:11 AM

Wasn't it Mrs. Fields that came out and overshadowed them R260? After that Famous Amos was never the same.

by Anonymousreply 261March 27, 2017 4:19 AM

Campbells Noodles and Ground Beef and Green Pea soups.

Pogens ginger cookies.

Longhorn cheese! I was just thinking what happened to that last week at the grocery store. We always had Longhorn when I was a kid. I didn't know it was a store brand.

by Anonymousreply 262March 27, 2017 5:19 AM

Kraft Spaghetti Dinner. My dad used to make it on Sunday mornings when he had a hangover and me and my sister loved it. They just.....stopped making it.

by Anonymousreply 263March 27, 2017 5:32 AM

It's still around! I loved it when I was a kid but when I tried it awhile back it was horrible. I don't know if it's my tastes or the recipe that changed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264March 27, 2017 5:37 AM

Thanks for that R101. Campbell's Souper Combos is the correct name. Mmm mmm good.

The poster upthread, yes! Nabisco Cookie Snaps. CHOCOLATE SNAPS were everything. So dang delicious.

McDonald's fried apple and cherry pies. The baked ones taste like stuffed bland filling inside of cardboard. Yuck. Their shakes now taste like whipped airy foam, and the consistency of milk. Blechh.

by Anonymousreply 265March 27, 2017 6:25 AM

[quote]Kraft Spaghetti Dinner.

OMG, I think I know what that was. A little box with a little dry spaghetti, a thin can of tomato sauce, and a teeny packet of cheese?

It was probably enough for 1 or 2, but not a "dinner for 4"!!!!???

People must have had smaller appetites in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 266March 27, 2017 6:55 AM

Chef Boyardee pizza kit

by Anonymousreply 267March 27, 2017 6:58 AM

My town's movie theater used to have a machine that dispensed a lime soda called Green River. This was back in the 80s, and it was the only place I ever encountered it, but just last week I found a bottle at a local grocery store in Portland.

by Anonymousreply 268March 27, 2017 7:45 AM

The dental profession's be$t friend, the Irn Bru bar. The Wham version that's available now is useless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269March 27, 2017 8:29 AM

Twigs, Tidbits, Swiss Cheese crackers

by Anonymousreply 270March 27, 2017 8:47 AM

[quote]People must have had smaller appetites in the 1970s.

Well, yeah. They did.

by Anonymousreply 271March 27, 2017 10:14 AM

[quote]Not sure of the brand but different flavor peanut butters.

Koogle?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272March 27, 2017 12:08 PM

Goofy Grape drink mix by Pillsbury.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273March 27, 2017 12:37 PM

Goofy Grape!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274March 27, 2017 12:39 PM

I loved the packaged individual brownies at Howard Johnson's restaurants. Best brownies I ever tasted. Now long gone. The last HoJo's restaurant, in Maine of all places, closed last August.

When I grew up in Pittsburgh, there was a local chain of ice cream and cafeteria-style restaurants, called Isaly's. My favorite flavor was, predictably, rainbow. But they also did a lot of others, including a memorable pineapple sherbet. Also long gone, though one of their items, for years only available at Isaly's, has now spread nation-wide: the Klondike chocolate-covered square ice cream bar.

by Anonymousreply 275March 27, 2017 4:45 PM

Butoni toaster pizza. They were so good.

by Anonymousreply 276March 27, 2017 4:47 PM

There was a peanut butter brand called Sorrell's Pickard that was flavored with vanilla and cinnamon. It made excellent peanut butter cookies. I still have the recipe I copied from the label - but the peanut butter is long gone.

by Anonymousreply 277March 27, 2017 9:30 PM

Nehi cola

by Anonymousreply 278March 27, 2017 9:35 PM

[quote]I loved the packaged individual brownies at Howard Johnson's restaurants. Best brownies I ever tasted.

r275 I don't usually like brownies because they're more sugar than chocolate. However, I've discovered brownies I really like recently in Whole Foods' tea cookies case. They're baked in muffin tins. Very chocolate-y.

by Anonymousreply 279March 27, 2017 9:36 PM

I haven't been able to find Hostess Fruit Pies here in Canada in years.

by Anonymousreply 280March 27, 2017 9:39 PM

For r207

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281March 27, 2017 11:47 PM

Girard's White House dressing. This is number 1 for me. It was delicious. I've missed it ever since.

by Anonymousreply 282March 28, 2017 12:06 AM

Dolly Madison snack cakes...when zingers tasted good and a banana flip was the best.

by Anonymousreply 283March 28, 2017 12:29 AM

So many of these (non-refrigerated) products are still available.

Canfield's soda is avail on Amazon - $30 for 24 cans with free prime shipping.

Clearly Canadian did a kickstarter 2 years ago and did a limited comeback run. You'll probably be seeing that product again. In the meanwhile, you can buy expensive bottles from that limited run on ebay.

by Anonymousreply 284March 28, 2017 12:39 AM

Was is like this recipe, R282?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285March 28, 2017 12:42 AM

Thanks, R281, but those aren't what I'm talking about. In fact, I meant to buy the Pecan Delight egg, but bought the Pecan Roll by accident. I was disappointed until I tried it.

by Anonymousreply 286March 28, 2017 12:44 AM

R108, they still make Smoothies and Clark Bars. They sell them at the favorite of fraus Michaels. Not sure about Chuckles.

by Anonymousreply 287March 28, 2017 1:09 AM

R280 - Hostess was part of the brands that disappeared when Hostess/Drakes/Wonderbread went bankrupt. They've started up again in the US. We get the Hostess pies, Drakes Funny bones and other products in our grocery stores in the Northeast.

by Anonymousreply 288March 28, 2017 1:20 AM

Miss Vickies lime and black pepper chips have disappeared in the US. The other flavours are available. I checked PepsiCo/Frito Lays ordering sheets with a route driver and they aren't even listed. They were awesome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289March 28, 2017 1:26 AM

Broiled in Butter canned mushrooms

by Anonymousreply 290March 28, 2017 1:44 AM

Budget Gourmet pepper steak. It was another early microwave brand but my mother would cook it in the oven, like a TV dinner.

Then she'd make a little extra rice and some salad and we were all good to go.

Stouffers makes a good pepper steak but it's not the same.

by Anonymousreply 291March 28, 2017 1:58 AM

Not that it was ever anyone's favorite, but do they still make Zima?

by Anonymousreply 292March 28, 2017 3:02 AM

I forgot about Swiss Cheese crackers by Nabisco. So good but they gave me gas.

by Anonymousreply 293March 28, 2017 3:16 AM

Zima is being resurrected.

by Anonymousreply 294March 28, 2017 3:47 AM

Although it apparently is still being made, I never see the wonderful (and reasonably priced) Wolfschmidt vodka, with the striking, signature green label.

Another brand I never see these days is super smooth Vat 69 scotch. Remember, it was the inspiration for the famous Joan Collins line:

[italic]"I taught him everything he knows. When I met him, he thought 69 was a bottle of scotch."[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295March 28, 2017 5:07 AM

New York Seltzer is still sold at Cost Plus World Market.

by Anonymousreply 296April 3, 2017 12:15 AM

Gauchos were a peanut butter cookie from the 60's-70's. I don't think they are available any longer.

by Anonymousreply 297April 3, 2017 12:52 AM

Etenman's banana cake Ben and Jerry's chocolate mocha ice cream

by Anonymousreply 298April 3, 2017 12:55 AM

I loved Le Menu, i collected the plates and used them over and over again. And the food wasn't bad either.

by Anonymousreply 299April 3, 2017 1:25 AM

Whoever said Sunshine Golden Raisin Cookies, thank you! What a great memory.

What about Entenmann's Walnut and Pecan Danish Rings?

Gainesburgers?

by Anonymousreply 300April 3, 2017 1:30 AM

Chock Full Of Nuts had a wonderful cream cheese on date-nut bread sandwich that was really good. And wonderful whole-wheat donuts.

The whole franchise is gone. My dentist's receptionist and I commiserate with each other when I have my teeth cleaned.

I did try to make my own date-nut sandwiches, but they don't turn out as well.

by Anonymousreply 301April 3, 2017 1:38 AM

Wendy's stuffed pitas

by Anonymousreply 302April 3, 2017 1:49 AM

Broiled in Butter mushrooms are still around.

by Anonymousreply 303April 3, 2017 1:58 AM

The Girl Scout cookie - Kookaburras. They were more candy bar than cookie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304April 3, 2017 2:03 AM

That may have been like it R285. I never read the ingredients on the bottle, I think I recall a bit of anchovy flavor.

by Anonymousreply 305April 3, 2017 6:32 AM

Chew Man Chew gum, omg I loved that as a kid, best tasting gum ever.

by Anonymousreply 306April 3, 2017 6:34 AM

Green River.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307April 4, 2017 12:56 PM

Starbucks Mocha Cip Ice Cream

by Anonymousreply 308April 4, 2017 8:49 PM

Mocha Chip Ice Cream. Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 309April 4, 2017 8:50 PM

"Figuriiiiiines, crunch crunch crunch crunch crunch..." (sung to the tune of "Tangerine")

by Anonymousreply 310April 4, 2017 8:52 PM

We knew, R309. And WWed you twice. I loved Starbucks ice cream, too.

by Anonymousreply 311April 4, 2017 8:56 PM

Wow, r289 is dedicated!

by Anonymousreply 312April 4, 2017 9:19 PM

Another vote for Le Menu and those awesome plates. I kept two plates for years, and must have trashed them 13 years ago, when I bought my house. A stack of 22 plates is currently listed on eBay for $90.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313April 5, 2017 4:27 AM

Colon Blow cereal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314April 5, 2017 5:26 AM

Danish go rounds

by Anonymousreply 315April 5, 2017 6:06 AM

Every year around this time, I crave these horrible Russel Stover coconut nests. Stores have stopped selling them, probably with good reason. The chocolate ones won't do, and I refuse to pay $9 shipping for one. I just want ONE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316April 5, 2017 6:14 AM

[quote]"I taught him everything he knows. When I met him, he thought 69 was a bottle of scotch."

That's great, R295. Did she say that on Dynasty?

by Anonymousreply 317April 5, 2017 7:52 AM

Junket homemade ice cream - the little blue box was a tasty reward for mowing the lawn on hot Midwestern summer days.

by Anonymousreply 318April 5, 2017 9:43 AM

Green Mill (?) brand candies and peanut brittle. Delicious quality products I munched on as a kid in the 70's.

I miss Nabisco chocolate and ginger snap cookies. They were to die for.

by Anonymousreply 319April 5, 2017 9:52 AM

I know they still make it, but it's been many years since I've seen it for sale locally. 'Cold Duck' Sparkling Red Wine.

by Anonymousreply 320April 5, 2017 10:31 AM

These were the bomb diggety. I have not seen them in awhile. I only ate them when I was being unhealthy. They tasted best deep fried and with a ton of ketchup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321April 5, 2017 11:03 AM

R320 I don't see Cold Duck either now.

R321 As a kid I loved Howard Johnson's though I don't know why. Maybe the odd blue/orange decor.

by Anonymousreply 322April 5, 2017 12:56 PM

When I ate Howard Johnson's, you had to go to Howard Johnson's, up on "the highway." But I've never really dabbled in frozen food. Loved the clam strips.

by Anonymousreply 323April 5, 2017 12:59 PM

Brontosaurus burgers.

by Anonymousreply 324April 5, 2017 1:00 PM

Whip-n-Chill

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325April 5, 2017 1:26 PM

junket

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326April 5, 2017 1:28 PM

Postum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327April 5, 2017 2:16 PM

Why on earth do people pay for those Le Menu plates? You can get plates at the Christmas Tree Shop or elsewhere for less than they're going for.

by Anonymousreply 328April 5, 2017 11:25 PM

They still sell Postum. My favorite aunt used to drink it at night instead of coffee.

by Anonymousreply 329April 5, 2017 11:32 PM

Even better, R328, you can buy real plates.

by Anonymousreply 330April 5, 2017 11:38 PM

Did anyone ever answer the guy up above that the mummy cereal was Yummy Mummy?

The ad way up top for the unpronounceable dessert starred soap actors Mark and Colleen Zenk Pinter.

Lots of the old candies mentioned can be gotten from the Vermont Country Store.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331April 6, 2017 12:39 AM

Postum sounds too much like post partum. Back in the day, such things weren't discussed in polite company so no one made the connection, but nowadays it's like having a diet candy named Ayds.

by Anonymousreply 332April 6, 2017 1:17 AM

[quote]Not sure of the brand but different flavor peanut butters. I know there was chocolate, vanilla and banana and possibly one or two other flavors.

Koogle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333April 6, 2017 1:28 AM

You just know Koogle was half an ingredient away from being Paste. But I loved the banana one. Maybe a butterscotch one too?

by Anonymousreply 334April 6, 2017 1:59 AM

I want my Maypo!

by Anonymousreply 335April 6, 2017 2:09 AM

R334=Ralph Wiggum, paste connoisseur

by Anonymousreply 336April 6, 2017 4:29 AM

Speaking of Cold Duck, do they still Baby Duck wine?

by Anonymousreply 337April 6, 2017 5:54 AM

Am I the only person who misses the varieties of (dry) cake frosting mixes that came in a box? The boxes looked just like the regular cake mixes but probably slightly thinner. I preferred those to can frosting which is too oily.

by Anonymousreply 338April 6, 2017 7:19 AM

Is Postum any good? What does it taste like?

by Anonymousreply 339April 6, 2017 7:30 AM

R335 Maypo is still available from Homestat Farms. I saw it at a supermarket in California a couple years ago (Albertsons I think). But there's no longer one near me after the regorg they went through, so don't know if that's still the case. Anyway, it appears to be available from the maker direct or places like Amazon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340April 6, 2017 9:08 AM

Magic Pantry retort (boil in a bag) meals. Those were tasty.

by Anonymousreply 341April 6, 2017 9:50 AM

And, to add to the Cold Duck mystique, how about Champale? We were so glamorous back then.

But, Good News! Little Kings are back!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342April 6, 2017 11:41 AM

r339, postum tastes like shit water. it's awful.

by Anonymousreply 343April 6, 2017 12:28 PM

[quote]I want my Maypo!

r335, did you load it up with more maple syrup (back in the day when there was no such think as fake maple syrup)?

by Anonymousreply 344April 6, 2017 1:19 PM

Chocolate Cow & Strawberry Cow - alcohol beverages. Tasted like milkshakes, but with the added rum you'd be plastered long before you finished the bottle.

by Anonymousreply 345April 6, 2017 4:23 PM

R316 At Russell Stover's site they are 99 cents. Don't know what the shipping charges are though.

by Anonymousreply 346April 6, 2017 4:57 PM

Wasn't Postum what Mormons drank in lieu of coffee?

by Anonymousreply 347April 6, 2017 5:13 PM

Postum might have started with the Confederates, who couldn't get coffee.

Sometimes troops would sneak between the battle lines and the Yankees would swap coffee for Confederate tobacco.

by Anonymousreply 348April 6, 2017 5:28 PM

[quote]

Postum might have started with the Confederates, who couldn't get coffee.

Sometimes troops would sneak between the battle lines and the Yankees would swap coffee for Confederate tobacco.

It was created by C.W. Post in 1895.

by Anonymousreply 349April 6, 2017 6:00 PM

Burry Fudgetown cookies.

Heavens to Betsy Burrys are good

Best darn cookies in the neighborhood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350April 6, 2017 6:11 PM

R338 most canned frosting has a similar consistency and too sweet flavoring. I could tell that some of the cupcakes at Crumbs used store-bought frosting when they still had the Hollywood location.

by Anonymousreply 351April 6, 2017 6:39 PM

Here are 25 of the most bizarre things that people made what came to called "Confederate Coffee," which, in most cases, didn't contain any caffeine and in fact, was more of a tea.

These ingredients were either dried, browned, roasted, or ground before steeping or dissolving into hot water to make "coffee."

1. Almond

2. Acorn

3. Asparagus

4. Malted barley

5. Beans

6. Beechnut

7. Beets

8. Carrot

9. Chicory root

10. Corn

11. Corn Meal

12. Cottonseed

13. Dandelion root

14. Fig

15. Boiled-down molasses

16. Okra seed

17. Pea

18. Peanuts

19. Persimmon seed

20. Potato peel

21. Sassafras pits

22. Sugar cane seeds

23. Sweet potato

24. Wheat berries

25. Wheat bran

Yum?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352April 6, 2017 6:43 PM

Postum:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353April 6, 2017 6:43 PM

Coffee Substitutes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354April 6, 2017 6:45 PM

Remember the cake mix that came with a baking pan included and you put it in the microwave, I could never get mine to turn out right, didn't taste very good, but better than nothing if you are too lazy to bake a real cake.

by Anonymousreply 355April 6, 2017 7:24 PM

Microrave,the cake mix made for your microwave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356April 6, 2017 7:33 PM

There was a similar product pre-microwave, called Answer Cake. Except for my birthday, it was the only cake my mother ever made.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357April 6, 2017 7:53 PM

There are still frosting in a box mixes. King Arthur, Jiffy and Wilton make them.

by Anonymousreply 358April 6, 2017 8:12 PM

Aunt Martha's Old Fashioned Salad Dressing

Aunt Sally's Pecan Pralines

by Anonymousreply 359April 6, 2017 8:14 PM

Red Delicious apples before they were over cultivated and altered. These were the best apples they used to be better than todays Honey Crisp and Sweetango apples. But they were over cultivated and altered over the years and now they are almost inedible with thick bitter peels and mushy mealy tasteless flesh inside. In my 80's childhood I remember how awesome those Red Delicious apples were, I never buy them now because they changed so much and are so awful I wouldn't eat one if you gave it to me for free.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360April 6, 2017 8:16 PM

apples, period

by Anonymousreply 361April 6, 2017 8:20 PM

[quote] LaChoy makes Chinese food, siiiinggg American!

R47 You can still find that LaChoy Chinese food in the split can. My sister was shocked to see it in her Fred Meyer up in Oregon and told me about it. I looked at my Ralphs in California a few weeks ago, and there it was in the Asian food section.

Also, Tang still exists as well.

by Anonymousreply 362April 6, 2017 8:22 PM

Every Chinese restaurant used to have these chicken fingers when I was a kid. They were really good dipped in duck sauce. None of the Chinese restaurants in my locality have these. When I travel and go to Chinese restaurants I never see chicken fingers on the menu anymore. Of course they still exist but I never see them anywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363April 6, 2017 8:33 PM

Chinese Chicken Fingers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364April 6, 2017 8:45 PM

r364

Just go to any chinese restaurant

by Anonymousreply 365April 6, 2017 9:30 PM

[quote]Also, Tang still exists as well.

Sure it does. We just call it pussy nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 366April 6, 2017 9:38 PM

It's not that hard to make frosting from butter and powdered sugar (and whatever flavoring you want to add.) Of course the more complex frostings (like the ones you cook) are better, but anything is better than the canned or boxed stuff.

by Anonymousreply 367April 6, 2017 9:39 PM

R367, I was saying that same thing to a friend who mentioned his love of canned frosting. I mean frosting...it's ridiculous not to make your own.

by Anonymousreply 368April 9, 2017 4:46 AM

I see Andre Cold Duck all the time in liquor stores. FYI - if you go to the Andre site, they have a store locator. Its still sold everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 369April 9, 2017 4:53 AM

[quote]But, Good News! Little Kings are back!

I was thinking that's what I had years ago but after looking around it wasn't. For a brief time I was into this stuff called Mickey's, in little green, barrel-shaped bottles.

I haven't seen it in years.

R317 No, before Dynasty, when Joan's career was on the skids, she made some dirty movies based on her sister's books with titles like The Bitch and The Slut. The line was from one of those.

by Anonymousreply 370April 9, 2017 2:15 PM

Tahitian Treat sodas, my go to soda when I was younger.

by Anonymousreply 371April 9, 2017 3:15 PM

I'm more nostalgic for these Libbyland TV dinner for what they were than the actual kid food but they were a fun part of my childhood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372April 9, 2017 3:34 PM

R372 Was that "Now! Larger Hot Dog!" label your first clue that you were size queen?

by Anonymousreply 373April 9, 2017 4:18 PM

r363, those still exist in some Chinese restaurants in NYC, but they're not good. Really cheap Chinese places serve them as Sweet and Sour Chicken with that sickening sauce poured over them. They don't make them the same way anymore and they really taste awful.

by Anonymousreply 374April 9, 2017 4:24 PM

R370 Mickey's Big Mouth Beer? I think they still make it, but I haven't had one over 20 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375April 9, 2017 5:08 PM

Chicken fingers--ugh. Actually most Americanized Chinese food fits that category.

Country Club was Kroger's low/middle house brand of ice cream. At some point that had one that was even cheaper. Country Club never really melted the way ice cream should--it obviously had lots of thickeners and a vaguely petroleum like taste.

I was surprised to see Whetena--that was an old folk's cereal even ages ago.

by Anonymousreply 376April 9, 2017 5:28 PM

The best of the hotess pies was the Blackberry--only available part of the year.

by Anonymousreply 377April 9, 2017 5:29 PM

Jello-1-2-3

by Anonymousreply 378April 9, 2017 5:42 PM

Screaming Yellow Zonkers, a food that tastes like the 1970s but all we have now is the seconded tiered Fiddle Faddle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379April 9, 2017 5:53 PM

[quote]I was saying that same thing to a friend who mentioned his love of canned frosting. I mean frosting...it's ridiculous not to make your own.

Stop marginalizing me!

Fat Daughter Lives Matter!!

by Anonymousreply 380April 9, 2017 7:23 PM

Mickey's lives on, on MMA ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381April 9, 2017 7:27 PM

Buttercream frosting takes very little time and only a few ingredients (powdered sugar, butter, flavoring and maybe some milk) and is much better than that canned crap.

by Anonymousreply 382April 10, 2017 11:15 PM

Tahiti Treat, R371, and I also miss it.

by Anonymousreply 383April 10, 2017 11:39 PM

I think you can get it on Amazon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384April 10, 2017 11:51 PM

You'll pry my canned frosting out of my cold, dead hands.

by Anonymousreply 385April 11, 2017 6:17 AM

Please, bitch. You know you're at risk for lymphedema in both arms. I won't have to pry anything; I'll waddle right up to you and take your canned frosting, and you won't do a damned thing about it...just like my two dads didn't.

Try me.

by Anonymousreply 386April 11, 2017 6:26 AM

I regret I never got to try Shake And Bake.

by Anonymousreply 387April 11, 2017 6:38 AM

Cadbury chocolate, when they were actually imported from the UK.

Ditto for Rollos, the imported candy was so much better than the US version, which tastes like gritty caramel and the chocolate covering doesn't even taste like chocolate. ugh

I also miss Royal Crown Sours.

by Anonymousreply 388April 11, 2017 6:47 AM

R375 That's it. It was actually good, as I recall.

R381 Hmmm...would the ass taste better than the beer?

by Anonymousreply 389April 11, 2017 6:57 AM

Have they discontinued Postum?

by Anonymousreply 390April 11, 2017 10:47 AM

Why would anyone know that, R390?

by Anonymousreply 391April 11, 2017 12:32 PM

Was it Mickey's or Heineken that smelled like a skunk when you opened the bottle?

by Anonymousreply 392April 11, 2017 1:55 PM

Is there a third choice, R392? I had friends who called something "skunk beer." It might have been Heineken, but IDR.

by Anonymousreply 393April 11, 2017 2:00 PM

Shake & Bake is still around. Probably haven't had it since the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 394April 12, 2017 12:54 AM

Shake and Bake and Postum are still around. What about those superhero cereals Quisp and Quake?

by Anonymousreply 395April 12, 2017 1:00 AM

I've noticed many discontinued items, both food and toiletries, are in the Vermont Country Store catalog. Unfortunately, most of the items are nothing like the originals.

by Anonymousreply 396April 12, 2017 1:15 AM

by Anonymousreply 397September 22, 2017 6:53 AM

Are Moon Pies still around? They went under a different name on the East Coast.

by Anonymousreply 398September 22, 2017 7:12 AM

I haven't had one in years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399September 22, 2017 7:15 AM

Moon pie's do still exist

by Anonymousreply 400September 22, 2017 7:39 AM

gourmayo

by Anonymousreply 401September 22, 2017 7:41 AM

A company named Oregon Farms used to make a nice frozen carrot cake.

by Anonymousreply 402September 22, 2017 8:13 AM

Beef fast-food hamburger that tasted good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403September 22, 2017 9:32 AM

Some of you are really into crap food.

by Anonymousreply 404September 22, 2017 10:24 AM

Paul Newman's DIET Lemonade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405September 22, 2017 11:39 AM

Wrapples!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406September 22, 2017 11:55 AM

[quote]Some of you are really into crap food.

That's not it at all. Many posters are not millennials, there was not a huge emphasis on healthy eating when many of DLers were growing up in the 50s, 60s and 70s. I guess kids weren't so fat back then because they actually left the house to go out and play, they didn't have their asses parked in front of a computer or game console.

I know a handful of people who ate yogurt and other healthy foods during the 1970s. A cousin always had a fridge full of Dannon because his mom worked there, every week the workers were allowed to order Dannon for about 5¢ or 10¢ a cup, the cups were large than they are now. I can even remember Dannon tasted so much better years ago. I also remember all the flavors they no longer make.

Not everyone posting is a teen or millennial.

by Anonymousreply 407September 23, 2017 4:30 AM

SALAD SALAD SALAD! WITH VEGETABLES AND FRUIT. I SAID SALAD. I SAID SALAD. ANYTIME OF THE TIME IT'S REALLY GOOD FOOD, IT'S GOOD FOR YOU AND IT TASTES GREAT TOO. EAT A BOWL OF SALAD. SALAD DON'T YOU FORGET IT. S-A-L-A-D. THAT SPELLS SALAD! SALAD! SALAD!

by Anonymousreply 408September 24, 2017 2:37 PM

That much salad gives you the flaming shits.

by Anonymousreply 409September 24, 2017 5:10 PM

When I was a kid every deli and stationery store had a huge, multilevel candy counter. You could buy single drakes cakes at the candy counter. Devil dogs, ring dings, funny bones. They were YUGE, too. Now they're dried up, chemical-tasting stuff and you have to buy a whole box of them.

by Anonymousreply 410September 24, 2017 6:11 PM

R410 It's because the size of the individual items have shrunk, what used to be 6 oz snack cake has shrunk to 4 1/2 oz or smaller so you need more than one to satisfy your craving. All the artificial flavorings, sweeteners and chemical stabilizers probably give them a longer shelf life but they probably shorten your shelf life.

by Anonymousreply 411September 24, 2017 6:23 PM

Gaucho cookies, Ideal chocolate peanut butter cookies, Vanilly Crunch cereal, Fudge Town cookies, Thomas' Gluten Bread, Shake a Make, Baskin Robbins Peanut Butter and Jelly ice cream, Friendly's Heavenly Hash, Funny Face which was a Kool aid imposter, Quisp cereal, oh the list is endless...

by Anonymousreply 412October 17, 2018 1:45 AM

by Anonymousreply 413October 17, 2018 4:06 AM

Nabisco's Bacon Thins!

Damn you, Nabisco!

by Anonymousreply 414October 17, 2018 4:19 AM

Girl Scout cookies made by Burry's

Burry's chocolate sandwich cookie (Fudge Town?)

by Anonymousreply 415October 17, 2018 5:02 AM

Though it is listed as available on their website, I am never able to find Haagen-Dazs' Pralines & Cream in stores.

by Anonymousreply 416October 17, 2018 5:04 AM

Hershey's BarNone candy bar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417October 17, 2018 5:07 AM

Kraft Chicken and Noodle Dinner. I LOVED this shit and wish I could get some now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418October 17, 2018 5:27 AM

Certs Mints, more specifically the Fruit flavored.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419October 17, 2018 5:53 AM

@Frau Blucher R259 My mom used to buy those raisin biscuits. If it was in my lunch as "dessert" it was a better than nothing kind of day.

by Anonymousreply 420October 17, 2018 5:58 AM

Loved this kid time candy bar, the forerunner to Snickers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421October 17, 2018 6:13 AM

R6 Cadbury redid Marathon Bars

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422October 17, 2018 6:43 AM

R355- Betty Crocker used to make something called Snackin Cake---it was a mini cake mix that came with a cardboard pan - it might have come with a packet of frosting too. The cake was enough for 2 people.

I miss Kraft Miniature Marshmallow cookies. They were very small marshmallow cookies covered in dark chocolate. Now they only sell larger cookies with milk chocolate coating that's not nearly as tasty.

by Anonymousreply 423October 17, 2018 7:31 AM

R355 My mother made the pre-microwave version, Betty Crocker's Answer Cake, once a week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424October 17, 2018 9:34 AM

r202 they have brought back Planters Cheez Balls for a short time. I bought some a few weeks ago and they still come in the canister. I used to love them as a kid but I didn't think they were as good as I remembered.

by Anonymousreply 425October 17, 2018 10:58 AM

Libby's Fruit Float--add milk and shake for interesting dessert

Foremost Hopscotch ice cream--chocolate and vanilla alternating squares

Ruffles chips in a can--maybe it was a military commissary packaging in the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 426October 17, 2018 11:15 AM

Fudgepacker Cookies

by Anonymousreply 427October 17, 2018 11:36 AM

Unfrosted blueberry or strawberry Pop Tarts, or Toast'ems, the other brand.

and the Kraft chicken noodle dinner.

by Anonymousreply 428October 17, 2018 12:02 PM

I used to eat Fresh Start laundry detergent in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 429October 17, 2018 12:18 PM

If it’s Answer Cake, what’s the question?

by Anonymousreply 430October 18, 2018 2:59 AM

The imported UK Cadbury bars were soooooo much better than their candy made here.

by Anonymousreply 431October 18, 2018 3:04 AM

These days, most cookies and Drakes/Hostess treats sure don't taste the same. It's the same for most candy. Hershey's candies tastes like plastic. So disgusting.

M&M seems kind of close to their old flavor and texture, but everything else is made with cheap chemical ingredients, we are literally eating poison!

by Anonymousreply 432October 18, 2018 3:11 AM

R431- There definitely is a difference. My friends bring Cadbury chocolate from England all the time and the chocolate is so much creamier - it doesn't have that chalky texture that North American Cadbury has.

by Anonymousreply 433October 18, 2018 3:20 AM

Barq's Cream Soda.

by Anonymousreply 434October 18, 2018 3:38 AM

r430 What's for dessert?

by Anonymousreply 435October 18, 2018 4:06 AM

[quote]Betty Crocker used to make something called Snackin Cake---it was a mini cake mix that came with a cardboard pan - it might have come with a packet of frosting too. The cake was enough for 2 people.

Duncan Hines makes something similar now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436October 18, 2018 4:18 AM

Hershey’s TasteTations

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437October 18, 2018 5:34 AM

Nestle's plain chocolate bars -- same chocolate that's in Nestle Crunch, but without the crisped rice.

They had solid red wrappers with "Nestle" in white, and generally resembled the wrappers of Nestle Crunch. Growing up, I always liked them better than Hersheys. Unfortunately, they stopped selling them in the US about 10 years ago, and apparently quit selling them worldwide a few years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438October 18, 2018 5:47 AM

Thomas's Bacon Buttermilk Pancake english muffins were awesome. I only saw them in the store once (they're a limited-run item), but I bought 24 packs of them (every pack I could get my hands on, from 3 Walmarts within 10 miles) & froze them for safekeeping. I rationed the last 4 packs, and was really sad when I got down to the last one.

I really wish that companies that sell "limited-time only" food products would disclose both the current run's duration AND their next planned availability date, so people like me could buy enough to hoard until the next time it becomes available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439October 18, 2018 5:57 AM

JENO’s frozen pizza. Not Tostino’s or pizza rolls. But the pepperoni Jeno’s Pizza. Anyone know where to find it?

by Anonymousreply 440October 18, 2018 6:05 AM

Aspartame-free Diet Pepsi.

I was a "Pepsi ONE" drinker for years, and always ended up paying a massive premium to get it because it was only available in cans (not 2L bottles), and when 12-packs went on sale for 4/$10 every few months, most stores didn't even HAVE enough 12-packs of Pepsi ONE in stock to GET four 12-packs, let alone more. Back in 2015, I went through total panic when I realized Pepsi ONE was no longer available... then was THRILLED to discover that going forward, "Aspartame-Free Diet Pepsi" WAS the product formerly known as Pepsi ONE.

I was devastated when Pepsi took it away earlier this year. I managed to clean out the remaining stock from every store nearby and stockpile enough to last until next month (technically 3 months past their expiration date, but packed the refrigerator with the last-expiring ones to maximize their remaining shelf life)... but then I'm totally fucked, because they apparently decided to NOT sell "Diet Pepsi with Splenda" after all.

Goddamn it. Fuckers. I hope their CEO burns in hell forever. There's absolutely nothing worse than having something you view as fundamental to your daily existence (I average 6-9 cans/day) cruelly taken away, with absolutely no good substitute (I loved Pepsi ONE, and drank Aspartame-Free Diet Pepsi almost exclusively, but I've NEVER liked the taste of "classic" Diet Pepsi).

by Anonymousreply 441October 18, 2018 6:16 AM

R441 I knew a guy who drank that many Diet Pepsis a day. He's dead now.

by Anonymousreply 442October 18, 2018 7:21 AM

R4 That Pizza mix is “Stale As Hell” I presume.

by Anonymousreply 443October 18, 2018 7:42 AM

Callard and Bowser Butterscotch.

by Anonymousreply 444October 18, 2018 10:06 AM

[quote]I was devastated when Pepsi took it away earlier this year.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 445October 18, 2018 4:52 PM

I loved the Reggie bar in the early 80s. Crispy nougat, caramel, milk chocolate. Melted in your mouth. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 446October 19, 2018 1:41 AM

Doo Dads

by Anonymousreply 447October 19, 2018 1:51 AM

Stir n Frost cakes

Dolly Madison snack cakes

Sweet Sixteen do nuts

by Anonymousreply 448October 19, 2018 2:04 AM

Bullshit. I'm eating Chicken Tonight tonight.

by Anonymousreply 449October 19, 2018 2:48 AM

Entenmann's holiday cupcakes

by Anonymousreply 450October 19, 2018 2:57 AM

I miss chipopitie mini cookies

by Anonymousreply 451October 19, 2018 3:18 AM

You can find Chiclets Minis online, the confetti-sized gum pieces that comes in an envelope, but I haven’t seen them in the store in ages. Those and Chuckles were my favorite candies when I was a little kid in the ‘70s.

Hubba Bubba made the most delicious watermelon gum that was also the best for blowing bubbles, my very favorite in the ‘80s. It was very sugary, super elastic, and strongly flavored. They also made a great orange gum. I still crave it after three decades, but now all the Hubba Bubba flavors are fruit combos (watermelon-strawberry, etc). Not as good.

Does anyone remember Health Nut bread? It was a hearty wheat bread with little pieces of nuts in it. It was delicious, I’ve never found better. Haven’t seen it in years.

For whoever mentioned Riunite, the lambrusco is definitely still around, usually on the bottom wine shelf with Barefoot and the other cheapo brands. In the right mood, with the right food (fried food, pizza, burgers), it is delicious BUT must be served ice cold. I romanticize it because I saw the commercials as a kid and thought they were très sophisticated but also cheeky. I didn’t try it until a few years ago, in my 40s, and was pleasantly surprised.

OT I know, but I live in LA, and I cannot find one place that makes decent fried clams. We’re on the ocean! Maybe they’re to déclassé? Which is a roundabout way of saying I miss Long John Silvers for that dish alone.

by Anonymousreply 452October 19, 2018 3:43 AM

I should say that the Oroweat Heslth Nut is around but is NOT the same as what I grew up with. The Oroweat is basically basic wheat bread with a soft texture. The kind I remember was dense, with seeds and nuts in the dough.

by Anonymousreply 453October 19, 2018 3:46 AM

Necco Wafers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454October 19, 2018 3:48 AM

I am happy to report that news of Neccos’ death was greatly exaggerated. A company bought them and plans to bring them and Sweethearts back. I can’t link to the story because the thread crashes when I try, but it was announced three weeks ago.

Neccos are one of my two favorite candies, so I bought two large boxes of assorted wafers and two smaller boxes of the chocolate when Necco panic was at a fever pitch. Now I have 120 rolls total to nibble through. We’ll see how much I can manage before they go stale.

by Anonymousreply 455October 19, 2018 3:58 AM

Philadelphia cream cheese snack bars

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456October 19, 2018 4:10 AM

R440 I saw some Jeno's at the Dollar Tree last year.

by Anonymousreply 457October 19, 2018 4:11 AM

Fresh Horizons bread. That was later discovered to contain wood pulp.

by Anonymousreply 458October 19, 2018 4:53 PM

[quote]New York Seltzer is still sold at Cost Plus World Market.

Weirdly, they sell it in vending machines in monorail stations in Vegas.

And god bless the person who mentioned Wrapples upthread. I used to beg my mother to get them and then I’d end up just eating them out of the bag. It would have been so much cheaper just to buy a bag if caramels.

by Anonymousreply 459October 19, 2018 10:09 PM

WinCo sells New York Seltzer, too, for 75¢ a bottle (plus CRV).

by Anonymousreply 460October 20, 2018 2:05 AM

r452/r453 Arnold does a HealthNut bread, it makes particularly good toast.

r458 You never outgrow your need for methyl cellulose. I believe it was an ingredient in what was touted as diet bread, under the name "Hollywood"(many moons ago) The chef on those "Food Wishes" videos says they use MC to keep shredded cheese from clumping together. I wonder what trees they use?

by Anonymousreply 461October 20, 2018 10:56 PM

Probably mentioned already but I loved Carnation breakfast bars.

by Anonymousreply 462October 20, 2018 11:25 PM

Nestle's All-Purpose cookie mix. I don't think it's been around since the late 1950s. You could make THE BEST chocolate chip cookies out of it. I see that Krustees makes an "all-purpose cookie mix," but I don't know if it's the same thing. The problem is that Krustees only comes in industrial-strength sizes, and I don't want a tub o' cookie mix in the pantry attracting weevils.

by Anonymousreply 463October 21, 2018 11:05 PM

Krustees? Really?

by Anonymousreply 464October 22, 2018 11:57 PM

[quote]OT I know, but I live in LA, and I cannot find one place that makes decent fried clams. We’re on the ocean! Maybe they’re to déclassé? Which is a roundabout way of saying I miss Long John Silvers for that dish alone.

r452 clams aren't native to LA or the warmer waters of the Pacific off the SoCal coast. They thrive in colder waters, like near Maine or New England. I have family in New England and during the summer you can't get away from fried whole clams on the menu anywhere.

A reciprocal example would be trying to get fresh mahi in Maine. That's a Pacific fish; any of that would be transported in, frozen, and not a good deal. That's something I'd look to order when in LA, for example.

by Anonymousreply 465October 23, 2018 12:04 AM

Does Mars still make Midnight Milky Way? They were made with dark chocolate, they didn't taste cheap like the current basic Mill Way candy bars. I loved the Midnight minis and snack size. I don't each much chocolate, but the Midnight bars were great! They were usually available around Halloween, I haven't seen them in years.

M&M Raspberry M&Ms were also great. Haven't seen them either. The Mint M&Ms will, hopefully, be available Christmastime.

by Anonymousreply 466October 23, 2018 12:53 AM

I had some Midnight Milky Way minis not too long ago, taken from an office candy dish. They're still around.

by Anonymousreply 467October 23, 2018 12:55 AM

[quote]The Mint M&Ms will, hopefully, be available Christmastime.

I had Crunchy Mint M&Ms last week. Green packaging and coating.

by Anonymousreply 468October 23, 2018 12:56 AM

THX R467, I'd usually buy the Midnight bars at the local Rite Aid or Walgreen's but their candy selection has been dismal. The only other place to buy candy is Costco, their bags are huge! Around the Holidays Costco carries large Mars and Hershey's assortment bags. The larger the size bag, the more you eat.

by Anonymousreply 469October 23, 2018 12:59 AM

Vienetta factory porn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470October 23, 2018 1:53 AM

That was helpful, R465. It explains the dearth of clams here.

by Anonymousreply 471October 23, 2018 1:57 AM

I loved the Fairmont Taco Corn Clouds that were only sold from 1967 to '69 or '70. They had a lot of delicious taco flavored seasoning on a cloud shaped corn puff. This snack also came in Roast Beef, Toasted Onion, Cheddar and Barbecue flavors. But the Taco flavored Corn Clouds were the most flavorful of any corn snack I've ever had. They may have only been available in the Midwest and the South...not sure about that.

by Anonymousreply 472October 23, 2018 4:49 AM

R436- I wish I could find that in the stores--but the closest I've seen is Duncan Hines Perfect For 1 cakes that you mix up in a mug.

by Anonymousreply 473October 23, 2018 5:13 AM

[quote]Vienetta factory porn.

So many caftans were just cum-stained...

by Anonymousreply 474October 23, 2018 1:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!