Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Greta Garbo's NYC residence

Just as she left it . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 22, 2018 7:40 AM

She's been dead 20 years.

I hope they dusted at least.

by Anonymousreply 1March 24, 2017 4:51 AM

Better link . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 24, 2017 5:33 AM

Maybe not, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 3March 24, 2017 5:34 AM

Googled the link to look at the article. Some of the color choices are rather odd, but the views and the spaciousness of the apartment are very nice, it seems very comfortable. It looks like the kitchen and bathroom have, at leas,t probably been updated since her death, but the remainder seems very period. Not sure if I'd have the heart to do anything more than make a few changes.

by Anonymousreply 4March 24, 2017 6:08 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 24, 2017 6:19 AM

Nope, fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 6March 24, 2017 6:19 AM

These links don't work because, even in death, Garbo vahnts to be left alone!

by Anonymousreply 7March 24, 2017 6:24 AM

The views are spectacular, the flat rather cramped with the exception of the living room.

by Anonymousreply 8March 24, 2017 6:24 AM

So her niece has been paying 9 grand a month for 26 years to let it sit empty ?!? WHY ???

by Anonymousreply 9March 24, 2017 6:35 AM

The niece was living in it until 2013, per the article, they relocated to San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 10March 24, 2017 6:57 AM

Is... is that a dildo?

by Anonymousreply 11March 24, 2017 7:16 AM

Amazing. She really did have style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 24, 2017 7:33 AM

Is the niece also a carpet muncher?

by Anonymousreply 13March 24, 2017 8:23 AM

We know, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 24, 2017 8:41 AM

Is that an original bidet?

by Anonymousreply 15March 24, 2017 8:59 AM

There were pictures of her apt when they sold some of her artwork after her death. I actually thought it was on the market before or maybe they just did a feature on it. It's not exactly the same and obviously the kitchen and bathroom have been redone. But, yes, it was and is an elegant apartment.

by Anonymousreply 16March 24, 2017 9:14 AM

The three realtors gushing and going on and on about Garbo and her magnificent apartment come off like a trio of starstruck Marys.

by Anonymousreply 17March 24, 2017 9:31 AM

There was a documentary on AMC shortly after Garbo's death in 1990 that included a video tour of the apartment.

by Anonymousreply 18March 24, 2017 9:34 AM

She's very wonderful in The Flesh and the Devil.

A huge hit in its time but little known today outside of silent film aficionados.

Supposedly a really very cold uncaring person who would abandon a close friend in trouble without a moment's thought.

by Anonymousreply 19March 24, 2017 10:24 AM

Oh it must be grand to retire and say fuck to the world and hide away in your beautiful Manhattan apartment.

by Anonymousreply 20March 24, 2017 11:25 AM

That's a long walk from the kitchen to the living room, past the 3 bedrooms.

by Anonymousreply 21March 24, 2017 11:51 AM

Why do the real estate companies always use outdated 80s decorative details like mauve and pickled pine when staging homes for sale? Horrible. It looks like the Golden Girls lived there.

by Anonymousreply 22March 24, 2017 11:55 AM

It's a great apartment, I'd have it in a heartbeat. The pink is a bit OTT but other than that I love it.

by Anonymousreply 23March 24, 2017 12:26 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 24, 2017 12:30 PM

She didn't hide away. She was out walking every day.

by Anonymousreply 25March 24, 2017 12:43 PM

I love it too

They should keep it as is and make a museum with it

by Anonymousreply 26March 24, 2017 12:44 PM

That knotty pine paneling is very 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 27March 24, 2017 12:58 PM

I thought she lived in the Dakota

by Anonymousreply 28March 24, 2017 1:20 PM

Why does she have two bedrooms with only one door? Was one for her caretaker?

by Anonymousreply 29March 24, 2017 1:25 PM

another

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 24, 2017 1:32 PM

I vant to be alone in Greta's apartment.

by Anonymousreply 31March 24, 2017 2:24 PM

All the furniture plus drapes and carpet are horrible, and the panelling looks cheap. The only nice things about it are the views.

by Anonymousreply 32March 24, 2017 2:29 PM

How do real estate agents determine who really wants to see a place like this to buy it versus people who are just curious about where someone famous lived?

by Anonymousreply 33March 24, 2017 2:50 PM

[quote] I thought she lived in the Dakota

That was Bacall

by Anonymousreply 34March 24, 2017 2:56 PM

for a property like this, they would have to submit preliminary financial statements and be screened to determine if they are "real". determined-enough oglers, with financial means (i.e, millions in liquid assets) could probably fake it, but not the common riffraff.

by Anonymousreply 35March 24, 2017 2:56 PM

[quote]That was Bacall

And Yoko Ono. And Eartha Kitt. And Leonard Bernstein

by Anonymousreply 36March 24, 2017 3:06 PM

and rosmary clooney, roberta flack, rudolph nureyev, judy garland, jason robards, joe namath, rosie o'donnell, lillian gish, boris karloff, rex reed, jack palance, gilda radner

by Anonymousreply 37March 24, 2017 3:12 PM

I vas never in The Dakota. I vas NEVER in the Dakota!!

by Anonymousreply 38March 24, 2017 3:14 PM

Just as she left it? Surely there aren't people so dumb as to believe that BS.

by Anonymousreply 39March 24, 2017 3:21 PM

Even though she retired decades earlier, she sure ended up better than Joan Crawford, who died penniless.

by Anonymousreply 40March 24, 2017 3:24 PM

the grand salon is probably mostly how it was in her time. the baths and kitchens have been redone

by Anonymousreply 41March 24, 2017 3:25 PM

I saw someone say that Joan had about two million when she died, R40. That's hardly penniless. Plus, Garbo was a known cheapskate and had also invested in real estate early on.

by Anonymousreply 42March 24, 2017 3:30 PM

Greta was hardly a cheapskate. She left an art collection that sold for $19 million at Sotheby's. She chose to spend her money on things that would appreciate in value over time, like art and real estate. Joan was not a good businesswoman, as Bette Davis has stated in interviews, and chose to spend her money on depreciable assets like vodka and men.

by Anonymousreply 43March 24, 2017 3:44 PM

What would Bette Davis know about it, R43? All Joan basically did was be a spokesperson for Pepsi, which I think she actually was pretty good at. She never invested in anything that I know of.

Garbo investing in art and real estate hardly disproves that she was a cheapskate. I remember an account by a woman who happened to look into a bathroom that was being used by Garbo at the time and her toilet articles basically amounted to a comb, a tooth brush and bar of soap. And Garbo left all her money to her niece, nothing for any charities.

by Anonymousreply 44March 24, 2017 4:10 PM

R44 that only denotes a lack of vanity.

by Anonymousreply 45March 24, 2017 4:28 PM

The ceilings are rather low. And it's not a top tier building. People who bought in the Campanile were usually those rejected by the Board at River House across the street.

by Anonymousreply 46March 24, 2017 4:39 PM

It's dated but so chic.

by Anonymousreply 47March 24, 2017 4:42 PM

yes very chic...the banquette, and the views around it, are to die for

by Anonymousreply 48March 24, 2017 4:42 PM

I like the decor and the paneling. It does have a lot of windows and light but the views aren't very pretty. I see a lot of smoke stacks and factories. The river is the only great thing to see though very polluted. The stone work on the building is quite lovely.

by Anonymousreply 49March 24, 2017 4:47 PM

The family has left the apt as Garbo had designed it, she loved pink which is why there is so much of it in the decor. Go to the NY Times Real Estate, I couldn't post a link because DL limits the links to 225 characters.

by Anonymousreply 50March 24, 2017 4:56 PM

"top tier" river house = racist and anti-semitic

by Anonymousreply 51March 24, 2017 4:56 PM

[quote] "top tier" river house = racist and anti-semitic

Racist, I'd say yes. Anti-semitic? Nope. As long as you were a patrician type Jew (no rags to first or second generation riches) and your name wasn't always in the papers {Kissinger aside), Jewish people have always been accepted.

by Anonymousreply 52March 24, 2017 5:12 PM

That is not " exactly how she left it." She had important, beautiful pictures and elegant antiques and all are gone. I don't believe she would have ever had those rugs--especially the one in the long end of the drawing room with the purple swirls

by Anonymousreply 53March 24, 2017 5:23 PM

"Unfortunately, especially at co-ops on the East Side, in close proximity to the mansions of the elite, another tactic calculated to attract the best occupants, was to appeal to their longstanding biases. Here, newcomers and non-WASPs were disdained. Jews, in particular, found they were not welcome at buildings considered to be ‘top-flight.’ The most fashionable were the most exclusive, emphasizing the notion that people with whom one shared one’s roof, ought to share enough general interest and characteristics in common, as members of any well-run club might, ought to be ‘nice people’, ought to be ‘people like us’, to be ‘people we know!’"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 24, 2017 5:37 PM

If Joan died with 2 million in 1977, she was doing very well.

Just the luxury and dignity of being able to die in her own home with round the clock home care was an accomplishment not many old people have.

by Anonymousreply 55March 24, 2017 11:48 PM

[quote]Just the luxury and dignity of being able to die in her own home with round the clock home care was an accomplishment not many old people have.

Who gives a fuck if old people don't get to die with home care and dignity? They are spent. Useless.

by Anonymousreply 56March 25, 2017 12:31 AM

Joan was relying on certain trusted fans near the end of her life for her care. Garbo purchased much property on Rodeo Drive many years ago, which later became quite exclu$ive.

by Anonymousreply 57March 25, 2017 12:39 AM

Rex Harrison was also living in Garbo's building at the time of her death, I recall CNN interviewing him outside the building.

by Anonymousreply 58March 25, 2017 12:43 AM

Not near any subway stops. I'll pass.

by Anonymousreply 59March 25, 2017 12:48 AM

A kind of dusty pink was the color Garbo seemed to be most fond of. Cecil Beaton called her apartment "a dreadful hotchpotch of colors."

by Anonymousreply 60March 25, 2017 12:52 AM

Just watched Billy Wilder's attempt at Sunset Blvd redux. 1979's Fedora. A Garboesque fantasy. William Holden looks like Joe Gillis corpse after he'd been rotting in the pool for 25 years. Beyond ghastly. Wonder if Greta ever saw it?

by Anonymousreply 61March 25, 2017 1:09 AM

Hotchpotch? That gets an "oh, dear" for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 62March 25, 2017 1:27 AM

R61, With a cameo by DL fave, Arlene Francis.

by Anonymousreply 63March 25, 2017 1:31 AM

Did Dietrich die broke?

by Anonymousreply 64March 25, 2017 1:31 AM

Whatever happened to that ugly Asian troll that kept following her around NYC?

by Anonymousreply 65March 25, 2017 1:34 AM

Hardly . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 25, 2017 1:34 AM

R65, Yoko?

by Anonymousreply 67March 25, 2017 1:35 AM

There's no way that Dietrich was worth $30 million when she died. How would she have amassed that much money?

by Anonymousreply 68March 25, 2017 1:37 AM

Soldiers used to give her $10.00 for anal, #68.

by Anonymousreply 69March 25, 2017 1:42 AM

That's probably post-death, when her real estate was sold and her possessions were auctioned.

by Anonymousreply 70March 25, 2017 1:43 AM

"Hotchpotch? That gets an "oh, dear" for the ages.'

That's the way it was spelled in the book I quoted it from: "Garbo" by Barry Paris (p. 466). If you want to "oh dear" then write to Barry Paris and tell him of your displeasure. He'll probably write back and tell you to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 71March 25, 2017 1:48 AM

[quote] There was a documentary on AMC shortly after Garbo's death in 1990 that included a video tour of the apartment.

Thanks, R18. But I also remember an article with pictures maybe in the NY Times Sunday Magazine. I thought it was a lovely apartment and very familiar - my mom was from NYC.

As someone said above, my mom told me she used to see her on the street on a regular basis.

And Marlene kept her NYC apartment and let her grandson live there IIRC. The NYC townhouse she owned she bought for her daughter - maybe early 1950s - and her family to live in. Plus her jewelry, clothes, costumes and artifacts she kept for her daughter. The daughter IIRC was setting up a museum and using it as a money making endeavor. I know that Marlene supposedly was in a difficult financial situation from time to time in her later years. I wondered why she just didn't sell off her real estate and other belongings since I always felt her daughter was an ingrate.

by Anonymousreply 72March 25, 2017 2:22 AM

THe city of Paris had to step in and pay Marlene's rent towards the end of her life, she had no money. She refused to sell her NYC apartment, it was the only thing of significant value she had and she was determined to leave it to her daughter/grandsons. Marlene was always stuck for money.

by Anonymousreply 73March 25, 2017 2:37 AM

Too much fuchsia, but it's pretty fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 74March 25, 2017 2:39 AM

The views are stunning, but, in the end, they are views of Queens and some of the dullest parts of Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 75March 25, 2017 3:06 AM

I saw pictures of her apartment before the artwork and antiques were sold and remember thinking her taste was more old money than I expected frim someone from a peasant background. I guess licking Cécile de Rothschild's pussy all those years paid off.

by Anonymousreply 76March 25, 2017 3:34 AM

most of the views are toward the east which would encompass the lower end of roosevelt island and the FDR park, beyond which would be the long island city section of queens which has rapidly gentrified from light industrial to glitzy residential high rises. the view to the north would be the 59th st bridge and to the south both the brooklyn and manhattan sides of the east river. could be worse, at least it's not new jersey

by Anonymousreply 77March 25, 2017 4:06 AM

It's surprisingly feminine!

And really quite lovely, if I had the money and wanted to live in NYC I'd be all over it. Spacious, colorful, huge windows - the breakfast nook is to die for! And yes, I'd love to live in Garbo's apartment, and look for elves under the bed.

by Anonymousreply 78March 25, 2017 6:08 AM

A bit dated.

by Anonymousreply 79March 25, 2017 11:27 AM

I like it. While the views aren't the greatest, it must be lovely in the morning when the sun is rising. Being on the edge of the river, never any worries about the view being blocked. It seems rather large from the photos, so it's odd that, when entertaining guests, they would have to enter into a bedroom to use a bathroom, and that long walk from the living room to the dining room.

by Anonymousreply 80March 25, 2017 12:23 PM

not odd at all for nyc apts, especially pre-war. even those in the nicest and most expensive buildings seldom had "powder rooms". the more typical layout is that the master bath would have ensuite bath, while the second bath would be near the entrance to the second or third bathroom and would be the used by guests when entertaining. it would also be used by any guests staying in the second bedroom

by Anonymousreply 81March 25, 2017 12:30 PM

For some reason I doubt Garbo did much entertaining.

She didn't go out of her way for friends. She expected to be entertained by them. And once she was annoyed or bored by them they were dropped.

She herself was dropped by Ari as a Christina hood ornament when she started to get older and he wanted a younger bauble in the form of Callas on his yacht who then was replaced by the younger and even more famous publicity magnet Jackie. What is an opera singer on a steep downward slope(purposely hastened by him) compared to the most famous still young widow of all time?

by Anonymousreply 82March 25, 2017 12:54 PM

Pussy pink.

by Anonymousreply 83March 25, 2017 1:39 PM

Maria was only six years older than Jackie, and he began seeing her again when the marriage to Jackie began to sour.

by Anonymousreply 84March 25, 2017 5:21 PM

Joan Crawford's "round the clock home care" was reputedly a couple of star struck fans who volunteered to take care of her at the end and received no pay, and no remembrance after she died.

by Anonymousreply 85March 25, 2017 5:31 PM

hotchpotch is a variant of hodgepodge and perfectly ok to use. Just thought I would enlighten to more illiterate of those reading this thread.

by Anonymousreply 86March 25, 2017 5:35 PM

For reasons 'well known to them', R85

by Anonymousreply 87March 25, 2017 5:46 PM

Yes because Ari could sling shit at Callas privately and publically constantly and she'd always forgive him.

Callas had no self pride and a horrible inferiority complex which was why she threw away her great talent to grovel before an evil man who had less integrity than a flea.

What happened to Onassis and his family at the end almost makes you believe in karma.

Callas, Tina, the children all paid horribly for the sins of the man. The only one who seems to have escaped is the granddaughter but she is still young. The ghosts are lying in wait.

by Anonymousreply 88March 25, 2017 6:07 PM

R88 Frau with soap opera mentality.

by Anonymousreply 89March 25, 2017 6:26 PM

R89 Maria Callas diva worshipper.

by Anonymousreply 90March 25, 2017 6:30 PM

I LOVE it, fuchsia and all.

by Anonymousreply 91March 25, 2017 7:23 PM

Is there really any info on who was tending to Joan at her death is is this all just speculation?

I do remember reading that she took in Hubby #2 Franchot Tone when he was sick and dying. That must have infuriated Bette. Wasn't a rivalry over Franchot the begining of their infamous FEUD?

by Anonymousreply 92March 25, 2017 9:28 PM

Sounds like (inaccurate) speculation, R92. Charlotte Chandler's Joan bio says this:

[quote]“Though very ill on the morning of her death, Joan rose early. She had no appetite for breakfast, but she wanted to prepare the meal for a longtime faithful fan who had stayed the night, keeping the vigil along with Joan’s housekeeper. As they sat down and began their breakfast, she retired to her bedroom. She had been up early, before the others, in order to prepare the breakfast for two. She had fixed her hair, put on some lipstick and one of her favorite robes. She knew she didn’t look well. She was too thin. She hadn’t slept all night, and she was in pain.”

Maybe the fact that there was a fan there on the last night + the fact that Joan was known to put fans to work if they hung about for long enough somehow became "fans provided round the clock care for Joan". The linked article below mentions that the name of the housekeeper/ maid was Frieda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 26, 2017 2:45 AM

Wow! That's a great article, r93. Thank you!

You should post it in the FEUD thread.

by Anonymousreply 94March 26, 2017 2:52 AM

Garbo was rich but, like a lot of rich bitches, was cheap. She preferred others to entertain her and most were happy to do so.

In Jacqueline Susann's Once Is Not Enough, novel and film, there is a legendary reclusive, retired film star named Karla who's having an affair with Deidre Milford Granger Wayne, a super rich heiress. In spite of Karla's wealth, she accepts lavish gifts and cash from Dee. The relationship was based by Susann on Garbo's odd friendship with Cecile de Rothschild, who was quite generous with Garbo.

by Anonymousreply 95March 26, 2017 3:41 AM

you do understand the meaning of the word "novel" i trust?

by Anonymousreply 96March 26, 2017 3:44 AM

And you do understand the difference between a purely fictional novel and a roman à clef, n'est-ce pas, r96? Susann specialized in the latter.

by Anonymousreply 97March 28, 2017 6:20 AM

The apartment has amazing bones and just needs re-finishing, chic paint, tea paper or gilding or whatnot.. The rooms are large, bright and airy - the floor plan quite amazing. Ceilings are a tad low - but welcome to NYC. She also had a lovely terrace. There is nothing wrong with this apartment. It doesn't hold a candle to Joan's duplex with Alfred Steele - but what does. And of course after his death, Joan could no longer afford the carrying costs to live there. It is well known that Joan did not die penniless - I have seen plenty of evidence that she left at least over a million to the two youngest daughter, charities and whatnot - I do not remember the exact figures, but can find them. The topic has been covered extensively due to her cutting the two youngest out of the will. The actresses who made the most were either the stars of the silent era before the studio system (the big wig Jewish heads of the studio made ALL the money but paid you a nice salary even when you were not working) or once back end deals became an option (profit sharing so that the actors could amass a huge fortune if the film became a hit and over time an even bigger one). Joan and Bette and others really never had much of either option. They were square in the middle of both eras for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 98March 28, 2017 6:57 AM

Goodness, Joan Crawford seeps into just every thread these days!

I had an old pal who lived nearby. I'd visit him uptown and we used to go for walks by Garbo's place in the hope of getting a sighting of the star.

by Anonymousreply 99March 28, 2017 7:10 AM

My writing was ambiguous, I meant to say that once the studio system came about - actors were given a steady salary, but did not make a KILLING any longer.

by Anonymousreply 100March 28, 2017 7:12 AM

[quote]almost exactly

I'm almost exactly a virgin

by Anonymousreply 101March 28, 2017 7:14 AM

Here's the article from AD someone was referring to. You can see the apartment how it looked right after her death (the photos were taken for the Sotheby's auction which massed CA. 19 million dollar). I think it looked marvellous!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102March 28, 2017 8:25 AM

Oops, somehow the link doesn't work. More photos here, including the 3 Renoirs...

Love those shades of salmon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103March 28, 2017 8:28 AM

Oh thank you, R102/103. I am in the process of discarding tons of old ADs. But I know I kept the ones with Hollywood/Broadway homes. I didn't even think to look there. Duh!

by Anonymousreply 104March 28, 2017 8:39 AM

[quote]Joan Crawford's "round the clock home care" was reputedly a couple of star struck fans who volunteered to take care of her at the end and received no pay, and no remembrance after she died.

Lucky her. I had to beg to sleep on gay men's sofas and sing that god damned "Over The Rainbow" at their birthday parties. I was broke and do you think that ungrateful Liza, that talentless Lorna or that fat fuck Joey would help me? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 105March 28, 2017 7:55 PM

Wrong thread, [R105] !

by Anonymousreply 106March 28, 2017 8:20 PM

[quote]Wrong thread, [[R105]] !

Well, seeing how the last response was 12 hours ago, I thought I'd give this dying thread a shot in the arm.

by Anonymousreply 107March 28, 2017 8:23 PM

They also sell 3 pieces of Garbo's art collection, estimated around 10 million $ Lucky heirs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108March 30, 2017 9:55 AM

Oh i wouldve loved to see the apartment while garbo still lived there.....

by Anonymousreply 109September 5, 2017 10:14 AM

It is a beautiful apartment and she was a beautiful woman. Great style, beautiful art. Apropos.

by Anonymousreply 110September 5, 2017 10:17 AM

I think it looks magnificent! Those views are everything

by Anonymousreply 111December 4, 2017 7:24 PM

A bidding war!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 22, 2018 7:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!