Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Margaret Atwood on "The Handmaid's Tale" in Trump's America (NY Times)

Wow. What a read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2018 11:53 AM

yes, it changed overnight just after 8 years of bliss with Obama

by Anonymousreply 1March 10, 2017 8:11 PM

I don't understand the point of idiots like R1.

Is that a rationalization, an apology, a defense, or what?

by Anonymousreply 2March 10, 2017 8:16 PM

It's trolling r2

by Anonymousreply 3March 10, 2017 8:33 PM

I am a Canadian so Margaret Atwood is a NATIONAL TREASURE.

The babbling old fossil makes me puke.

by Anonymousreply 4March 10, 2017 11:47 PM

She is a fucking treasure. That essay is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 5March 10, 2017 11:58 PM

Her writing is brilliant and her prose is impeccable and nuanced, lacking the extravagance of many modern writers.

Atwood does not get nearly the accolades she deserves as a novelist.

by Anonymousreply 6March 11, 2017 3:07 AM

I love her writing, she's a bitch, but good for her for being one

by Anonymousreply 7March 11, 2017 3:32 AM

damn, this is good

by Anonymousreply 8March 12, 2017 8:40 PM

Love her.

Where is that person who gossiped about literary figures and was hounded off the threads?

by Anonymousreply 9April 30, 2017 2:23 PM

R1 yes, 8 years with Obama with utter bliss.

No one appreciated it until the second Trump got inaugurated in proceeded to eliminate rights and praise white supremacists

by Anonymousreply 10April 30, 2017 2:36 PM

If she really wanted to write something that's actually relevant, she would write about how in pretty much ALL Islamic countries women and girls have basically no rights and are seen as little more than slaves.

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2018 9:41 AM

R11 Margaret Atwood (the NATIONAL TREASURE) tells her chauffeur to avoid those Toronto ghettoes where those people are spawning.

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2018 9:51 AM

Didn't she just criticise the #metoo campaign?

She's all over the place. Very inconsistent. I have very little respect for her.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2018 10:52 AM

I was in Toronto years ago for a scienc fiction con - which happened to be on the week before Book Expo Canada - the annual bookseller & publisher convention. I had some UK publishing friends going along to that - so decided to stay and tag along. Was a lot of fun and met some wonderful Canadians - and a couple of times over the weekend I spotted Atwood at a couple of locations in and around the convention centre. I was quite awestruck - much to the amusement of some of m new Canuck chums - who were a little bit over it. I mean - all respect to her for her writing, et al - but the National Treasure apect had worn a bit thin for them. Apparently one of the Toronto newspapers had coverage of Atwood showing up to events and functions almost every other day, and my new friends felt there might has well have been a regular feature called ‘Meg’s Diary’. Lots of Atwood overkill going down. Big fish/small pond an’ all that. Imagine it’s still much the same? Any Canadian DLers wanna weigh in?

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2018 11:15 AM

Yes she did R13.

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2018 11:43 AM

I watched a documentary on her not long ago (it was from the early 80s) and she seemed to be on the spectrum or just off.

And Canadian ugly.

Some of her writing is great though.

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2018 11:50 AM

^ Is Atwood's writing worth reading. Is her cleverness in her prose or her plots?

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2018 11:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!