Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Get Out

Did a search and didn't find a thread on this movie. Thriller with 100% on Rotten Tomatoes . Has no one seen it? If so, is it really that good?

by Anonymousreply 99March 18, 2018 1:57 PM

It's got a ridiculous premise. White people believe black people have superior physical attributes, so when white people are aging or feeling poorly, they kidnap black people and inhabit their bodies.

by Anonymousreply 1March 9, 2017 5:48 PM

It's shit, just like all movies these days.

by Anonymousreply 2March 9, 2017 5:49 PM

There are 17 threads about this movie. OP, please learn to search before you bother us with another one.

by Anonymousreply 3March 9, 2017 6:04 PM

Yes it's good! Very original and engrossing. A thinking persons horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 4March 9, 2017 6:52 PM

I loved it. I thought the ending was a little weak. When I see the police sirens I just know a racist cop is going to kill him instead it is best friend. The guy doesn't act happy or grateful he saved his life he just gets into the car...

If you think too hard the premise is silly but I liked the evil family as the villians. Catherine Keener was good and I never thought I would say this but I thought Allison Williams gave a good performance

by Anonymousreply 5March 11, 2017 5:18 AM

R5 I thought his behavior at the end after being rescued by his friend was an odd choice too. The groaner part of the movie for me was the closet door. Try not to spoil. But it didn't take me out of the movie for long. Very strong writing. I bet it gets nommed for original screenplay at Oscars next year.

by Anonymousreply 6March 11, 2017 6:55 AM

It was an average movie and the bootleg copy can be seen for free on 123movies. The crux of the story is all about hypnotism. I know, really original, huh?

by Anonymousreply 7March 11, 2017 7:03 AM

R4 must be Valedictorian of the short bus, then.

by Anonymousreply 8March 11, 2017 7:07 AM

R5 I rationalized it as a state of calm after shock.

I couldn't come up with anything better. :(

by Anonymousreply 9March 11, 2017 7:35 AM

It's a good movie, OP

by Anonymousreply 10March 11, 2017 4:38 PM

r6What was the closet door groaner in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 11March 11, 2017 4:59 PM

R6, oscar nom for screenplay? You must be stoned!

by Anonymousreply 12March 11, 2017 5:02 PM

R11, the black dude opens up the small closet door and finds a box full of photos of his girlfriend with OTHER black men.

by Anonymousreply 13March 11, 2017 5:03 PM

Yes it is that good. Georgina scared the hell out of me. Hypnosis sequences were pretty cool visually. Peele seems to be interested in that "70's rec room" aesthetic which he uses to good effect.

Cast was solid. I was surprised how good Allison Williams was - detested her in "Girls".

The underlying horror lurking in the movie is the sexual fetishizing of black men, a topic that DL can certainly relate to.

by Anonymousreply 14March 11, 2017 5:34 PM

SPOILERS

------------------

If the movie had the forage of his convictions the main character should have been shot by cops at the end. Which would have been a nice callback to NOTLD

Why would the grandparent want to be servants?

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2017 10:33 PM

R11 actually he doesn't open the closet door himself, it is just wide open all of a sudden catching his attention and prompting him to look inside. It's not a regular closet door, it's a pocket door like under a staircase. I suppose the maids subconscious could have left it open for him but at the point he is at, it would be perfectly natural for him to Snoop around and open doors himself needing the nudge.

by Anonymousreply 16March 19, 2017 12:23 AM

R15 actually that would have been predictable. It was my first thought when I saw the police car.

by Anonymousreply 17March 19, 2017 12:27 AM

It's predictable either way.

by Anonymousreply 18March 19, 2017 12:28 AM

I enjoyed it, good fun.

by Anonymousreply 19March 19, 2017 12:50 AM

SPOI-LAS!

by Anonymousreply 20March 19, 2017 3:15 AM

I thought it was also strange the grandparents were servants but then again were they really? I don't remember the man doing much serving just acting creepy and the girl did seem like a maid but maybe she came from a time when the woman cooked and waited on people.

by Anonymousreply 21March 19, 2017 3:58 AM

They acted like the help because they couldn't act like family when the daughter brought him home- it would expose the conceit. They probably acted like family (much like the neighbor and her "new" husband) when they weren't luring new bodies in.

I thought it was a well done movie. Very happy for Peele, he deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 22March 19, 2017 4:04 AM

Finally saw it, and was not disappointed. What a brilliant first attempt by Peele. Some of you don't understand how difficult it is to write a winning screenplay, let alone direct the movie too. Very original and entertaining, the theater audience is literally a member of the cast. Those of you who have seen it know what I'm talking about. You are doing yourself a disservice if you wait for it to come out on video. As for the ending, I don't think emotionally audiences would have tolerated the protagonist's demise at the hands of a white cop, a la "Night of the living dead," the end, especially after rallying after him in his attempt to escape.

by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2017 10:04 PM

Fantastic movie. A hell of a screenplay and directing job by Jordan Peele, I was incredibly impressed. The more I think about how some many subtle things tie together now that you understand the full story, just a great job, glad the movie was a big financial hit.

And yes r22, thanks for explaining the obvious. They weren't actually the help, the entire weekend was nothing but a front for kidnapping Chris. Everything was an act. You see the "party" go silent when he goes up stairs because this obviously isn't a reunion, they are just there to bid on his body.

I'm glad they changed the original ending where he gets blamed by the cops. The fear you get from the audience when the cop cars shows up proves the point enough, everyone had that same thought.

[quote]Cast was solid. I was surprised how good Allison Williams was - detested her in "Girls".

Same, she was great in this film and that completely shocked me.

And people are wondering about his reaction at the end? Think about everything Chris has fucking been through, he is barely able to function and process everything. In complete shock.

by Anonymousreply 24August 6, 2017 4:55 AM

r24 I'm glad for him too. It's interesting that black audiences accepted it, because Key & Peele took a lot of shit from some parts of the black entertainment community.

As someone who is cynical as fuck, and is easily "taken out" of horror movies, is there anything that would put me off?

by Anonymousreply 25August 6, 2017 5:02 AM

It makes you never want see a psychiatrist who drinks tea.

by Anonymousreply 26August 7, 2017 4:38 PM

I don't like scary stuff but took a chance since it has gotten good reviews and liked it. It reminds me of the type of horror movie like Rosemary's Baby.

by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2017 6:10 AM

I didn't "get" it.

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2017 6:17 AM

It's very good but after it's over I started thinking about it, and it doesn't make any sense. If a rich person took over the bodies of the black people, why were those black people servants?!?

by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2017 6:39 AM

r29 they weren't servants, it was all an act for the black boyfriend. Just like the party, when he went upstairs they all stopped talking.

by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2017 6:41 AM

I loved it. Very entertaining and suspenseful to the end. It's supposed to be a horror movie but thank God for the fat TSA friend.

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2017 7:06 AM

Yeh, it was good. it was unique. It was not oscar worthy, but it was a great watch - a weird perspective on race, interracial dating, etc. I liked it. It was unique. Don't listen to the bitter queens on here, see it for yourself and decide.

by Anonymousreply 32December 2, 2017 12:07 PM

I loved it but I've recently changed my mind and now I don't think it's excellent enough to get Best Picture at the Oscars. It's important socially-wise for sure, but it shows that it's a directorial debut.

But Crash got one so what the hell do I know what's Oscar-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 33December 2, 2017 12:18 PM

It's ok. The ending is corny and stupid too.

by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2017 12:23 PM

I enjoyed it up until the end, which didn’t make sense. There’s a house full of dead people and of course the cops will be coming after the weekend visitor who is no longer there. Why is there a sense that he’s home free just because the real cops weren’t on the scene?

by Anonymousreply 35December 2, 2017 12:39 PM

It was ok but it’s no where near as good as Rotton tomatoes makes out !

by Anonymousreply 36December 2, 2017 3:48 PM

I loved it, one of the movies I saw this year that felt like a fresh and interesting addition to cinema. It is among the best movies of this year and definitely deserves a best picture nomination, it will be remembered more than most of the contenders.

by Anonymousreply 37December 2, 2017 3:53 PM

Spoilers

Yes that closet door was ridiculous. First, how does a latched closet door open itself?

Second, why would Alison Williams keep a box full of photos of her with African American victims? That's evidence.

Third, why would she store a box of such photos in the closet of the guest room where her next victim is staying? There's always a possibility he might open the door and find the pictures that are RIGHT THERE behind the closet door.

And why did the brain recipient appear on tv and tell the victim what was going to happen to him? "It seems the operation has better results when we tell the donor what's going to happen." Uhhhhh, no. No it wouldn't.

by Anonymousreply 38December 2, 2017 4:28 PM

But if it was a cop car and the protagonist is shot by police it would have been a ho-hum, BTDT ......with Night of the Living Dead, for one.

Yeah, it's highly unlikely there even are TSA vehicles like that, let alone one that can be borrowed by an employee. But you have to admit it was funny when he said, "I mean....I told you not to go in that house."

by Anonymousreply 39December 2, 2017 4:31 PM

The biggest problem with the movie is that no white person in their right mind would want to be reborn as a black person. And even if a couple outliers did, not EVERY SINGLE WHITE PERSON would make that choice, and there's no reason they should have to, which is what the conceit of the movie relies on, unfortunately. Still it's an entertaining movie if you don't think about it.

by Anonymousreply 40December 2, 2017 5:09 PM

Many men would love to be hung like black men though! I get your inference about what black people go through. Black people becoming white would have been even more bizarre and controversial.

by Anonymousreply 41December 2, 2017 5:23 PM

This movie hates white people.

by Anonymousreply 42December 2, 2017 5:25 PM

r42 everybody hates white people these days. everyone is free to hate white people and christians. sad.

by Anonymousreply 43December 2, 2017 6:48 PM

R43 What's sad about that? It seems to me that white people and Christians have felt perfectly free to hate non-white people nd non-Christiáns for centuries, and I don't see you boo-hooping about that.

by Anonymousreply 44December 2, 2017 6:53 PM

[quote] The biggest problem with the movie is that no white person in their right mind would want to be reborn as a black person.

It was my understanding that the guy wanted his eyes and that was the only instance where he would be reborn as a black person. The whites didn't become reborn as the blacks but made them their slaves like the housekeeper, gardener and boy toy.

The movie seemed to say that they were expendable. If they kidnapped a white person, the entire country would be looking for them. How many black girls and boys have gone missing? Probably countless but you rarely see a black person's face on a missing person poster.

by Anonymousreply 45December 2, 2017 7:27 PM

r44 ever hear of unity? you're too busy virtue signalling to have any pride in your roots. every other race get's to be proud. why not white people? you don't need to answer. i know whatever you retort will be bitter divisiveness.

by Anonymousreply 46December 2, 2017 8:39 PM

"not EVERY SINGLE WHITE PERSON would make that choice"

The movie wasn't saying every single white person would make that choice. Where do you get THAT from? Your ass? To say no white person in their right mind would do it, I don't agree with that I've known a few people personally who I believe would do it, Rachel Dolezal would do it. It's not like this was a mad rush of hundreds of people doing it, it was few enough for a family to run the business out of their house for crying out loud. Do you THINK?

by Anonymousreply 47December 3, 2017 3:19 AM

[quote]everybody hates white people these days. everyone is free to hate white people and christians. sad.

The only thing 'sad' about it is how richly deserved and well earned that hate is.

Maybe if straight white men in particular could stop being so absolutely terrible, it'd help.

by Anonymousreply 48December 3, 2017 3:37 AM

R46 is a supremely ignorant stupid racist moron.

by Anonymousreply 49December 3, 2017 3:38 AM

yes I suggest you watch the movie again, r47.

Every single person who was Reborn was black. The two grandparents, the Dave Chappelle looking guy at the party, and the star. Every single boyfriend that was brought home was BLACK, as shown in the photos in the closet. That's the whole point of the movie.

Therefore every single white person within the universe of this movie wants to be black.

And by reborn I mean to have their mind transplanted into another person's body through brain surgery which is the whole point of the movie. Usually I don't like getting away spoilers but you seem very obtuse. Reborn is a shorthand for whatever that procedure is, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 50December 3, 2017 3:46 AM

A boner for the word virtue signaling, strong sense of "white" pride, victimization complex of the survival of the "white race" being under attack.

It is like the alt-right handbook all in one post.

by Anonymousreply 51December 3, 2017 3:47 AM

Interesting and fun:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 3, 2017 4:09 AM

Apparently none of you has seen The Stepford Wives.

by Anonymousreply 53December 3, 2017 5:47 AM

Or they just saw the terrible remake and turned it off, so they didn't know they were ROBOTS, r53.

by Anonymousreply 54December 3, 2017 6:16 AM

R50 you're too stupid to bother with anymore, you make no sense.

by Anonymousreply 55December 3, 2017 12:17 PM

Even with the sofa stuffing in his ears, how did he get out from being strapped into the sofa and who did he put in his place? How did that happen?

by Anonymousreply 56December 3, 2017 12:32 PM

R50 I don't blame R47 for giving up on you, but you really don't make sense. First of all, you said all whites, not all whites in the movie universe, and even in the movie there were wives who didn't want to become black. The hypnotist mother, the girlfriend, the cop who stopped to check the main characters in the beginning. Face it, you're a moron who can't even discuss a movie without fucking up.

by Anonymousreply 57December 3, 2017 12:33 PM

*whites

by Anonymousreply 58December 3, 2017 12:33 PM

I fucking hated this movie. To campy to be horror and not scary enough to scary. Not funny enough to be a comedy. And the race commentary aspects of it I respect, but it is not done effectively. Similar to the aspects of Mother!. I am a huge horror fan and a huge indie film fan- this film left me cold and I am lost as to it's excellent reviews. And I LOVE Catherine Keener, and she was just THERE. In fact, the only stand out was Allison Williams, and that is just because I have never seen her in a role like this (ended up being). 4/10.

by Anonymousreply 59December 3, 2017 12:48 PM

All the critics were too scared to give it a bad review. It was horrible and heavy-handed.

by Anonymousreply 60December 3, 2017 1:20 PM

Audiences gave it an A- cinema score and it made 175mil domestic off a 4.5 mil budget, huge hit.

Sorry r60, most people just really liked the movie

by Anonymousreply 61December 3, 2017 1:23 PM

I thought it was both scary and a great satire on race relations. The ending was especially good.

It's not a masterpiece but an,excellent B movie. I wish Hollywood put out 50 movies like this a year instead of spending hundreds of millions on comic book/superhero junk.

by Anonymousreply 62December 3, 2017 1:30 PM

R61 Audience score on Metacritic and IMDB are both 7/10 range "C"

by Anonymousreply 63December 3, 2017 1:40 PM

I personally think Get Out was overrated. 5/10 movie

by Anonymousreply 64January 11, 2018 8:03 PM

easily the most overrated movie from last year

by Anonymousreply 65January 11, 2018 8:05 PM

It's just on OK movie. I don't get the hype at all

by Anonymousreply 66January 11, 2018 8:10 PM

an appallingly bad horror film

by Anonymousreply 67January 11, 2018 8:23 PM

I thought it was good until it was revealed what was really going on and then it fell apart.

by Anonymousreply 68January 11, 2018 8:24 PM

I dont think it's a particularly GREAT horror film or comedy

by Anonymousreply 69January 11, 2018 8:26 PM

I think it was really good. Its nice to see a different idea in horror films.

by Anonymousreply 70January 11, 2018 8:41 PM

How come Chris can hear the blind guy on TV in the rec room, but he can't hear the teaspoon which comes on the tv immediately afterwards? if his ears were stuffed he shouldn't have heard either one of them.

by Anonymousreply 71January 11, 2018 8:54 PM

[quote] If the movie had the forage of his convictions

I'm always foraging among my convictions

by Anonymousreply 72January 11, 2018 8:59 PM

I bet it wins an Oscar for best screenplay. Brilliant first attempt by Jordan Peele, looking forward to seeing more from Daniel Kaluuya...

by Anonymousreply 73January 11, 2018 11:53 PM

Mr. Wilhelm from Seinfeld (remember he becomes part of the carpet cleaning cult) plays the grandfather. Funny

by Anonymousreply 74February 10, 2018 2:33 AM

mystery of mysterys......

how this so so movie got any traction,

maaybe cause was a minority flick

dont know

sure was a disappointment

by Anonymousreply 75February 10, 2018 2:36 AM

Rotten Tomatoes cant be trusted any more....

its full of shit and fraud?

by Anonymousreply 76February 10, 2018 2:38 AM

Has nothing to do with being a, as you put it, "minority film", r75. The movie was fantastic at many levels - a great first effort from Jordan Peele. If you build it, they will come.

I hope it sweeps the Oscars. It will definitely win best screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 77February 10, 2018 10:17 AM

I am a thriller and horror movie addict.

This overrated piece of shit is neither funny, scary, or remotely as brilliant or timely as people will lead you to believe.

The only good things were the lead actor and the woman who played the maid- Very good performances.

I cannot fathom the praise AT ALL.

R77- I feel like we watched two different films. It is weird being in the minority on this, because this is usually MY type of movie.

I have massive hopes for Hereditary starring Toni Collette!

by Anonymousreply 78February 10, 2018 10:24 AM

I enjoyed the movie, but I just could not buy Daniel K as an African American. He looks nothing like AAs born and raised in the US. I think that they should have cast a real AA, or made him an English man whose parents were from Nigeria or Ghana.

The only thing AAs and Africans have in common is color, and even that is vastly different in most cases.

by Anonymousreply 79February 10, 2018 11:53 AM

Great thread.

by Anonymousreply 80February 10, 2018 1:21 PM

Maybe this is explained by the director on his audio commentary, but he annoyed me on that, so I stopped listening. In the scene when the photos were discovered by Chris is it meant to show that Rose had been with lots of other black men? If so, why were there not more black men at the family house auction? or more black men shown to have been transplanted?

by Anonymousreply 81February 11, 2018 4:27 AM

R40 ignores the inference that it’s all right for black men to disappear without a trace whereas if they abducted white men the authorities would be much more interested in their demise.

I thought the closet door thing - which is open earlier in the film, the first night he stays before going downstairs and getting hypnotised, was a game, set, match mind fuck on the part of Rose, part of the final reveal to shock and immobilise Chris.

by Anonymousreply 82February 11, 2018 5:24 AM

Fucking over hyped crap. It's fucking ridiculous. How this got pimped as a great film is lost on me. Stir the tea and be hypnotized. I can't believe it's a nominee for anything.

by Anonymousreply 83February 11, 2018 5:29 AM

For a horror film, it's not bad.

But the Academy got white-guilt tripped into nominating this.

by Anonymousreply 84February 11, 2018 5:34 AM

This is one of those movies that I feel the audience and critics read much more into it than what was originally planned. But when it caught a certain wave the filmmakers jumped a board and tried to sell it as more profound. It's nothing but a graduated film school project when you step back. Power of the media.

by Anonymousreply 85February 11, 2018 5:34 AM

Ok I gave in and listened to the director commentary for the closet door scene. He says the photos are meant to show that Rose has dated other black guys, including Walter and to show she also knew Georgina. Jordan doesn't mention whether that means Rose took all the other black guys to meet her parents and get transplanted. In addition he says Rose deliberately left the door open for the photos to be discovered, because she likes taking risks.

by Anonymousreply 86February 11, 2018 8:55 AM

Jordan Peele won Writers Guild award for original screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 87February 12, 2018 4:40 AM

No doubt he thinks their choice makes them woke.

by Anonymousreply 88February 12, 2018 6:24 AM

Jordan will definitely win Best Original Screenplay at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 89February 12, 2018 6:28 AM

R89 Yeah, he'll be the token winner

by Anonymousreply 90February 12, 2018 7:29 AM

A Superior Film...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91February 12, 2018 7:31 AM

Jordan Peele's Independent Spririt Award speech proves my point. He wrote a chip on the shoulder white bad black good wanna be horror flick that everyone started reading social commentary into and all of a sudden it was a "film". He will never make a good or relevant film again. That is luck and press making something out of a student film. It wasn't awful but it's not a revelation.

by Anonymousreply 92March 3, 2018 11:07 PM

I just got around to watching this last night. Quite frankly, I had avoided it because i'm sick of the whole identity politic thing, and most movies are just not very good at all, unless you're a superhero or cartoon fan. That said, this movie is really good. It reminded me of a really well executed and creepy episode of the Twilight Zone, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's one you have to actually pay attention to, and worth it.

by Anonymousreply 93March 18, 2018 12:27 AM

The "silent auction" scene was odd, not unlike the rest.

by Anonymousreply 94March 18, 2018 8:07 AM

[quote]It reminded me of a really well executed and creepy episode of the Twilight Zone

That's quite a praise for an Oscar nominated film.

by Anonymousreply 95March 18, 2018 8:24 AM

I thought it was good, but for me the real revelation acting-wise was Alison Williams. She could have been nominated for a best supporting actress.

by Anonymousreply 96March 18, 2018 8:43 AM

R94 Yes, and I will admit that I did not catch on to what was happening until the second time I watched the movie.

by Anonymousreply 97March 18, 2018 9:04 AM

It's fun. I think most movies have ridiculous premises, as does this. But, it's a fun trip, especially if you're an open minded person to just consider the possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 98March 18, 2018 1:56 PM

[quote]but for me the real revelation acting-wise was Alison Williams.

Yes, this was a common sentiment. Allison Williams was fantastic here, who knew she could act.

by Anonymousreply 99March 18, 2018 1:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!