Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Help! I've fallen in love with CRYSTAL GAYLE!

A random conversation with friends this weekend has led me down a rabbit hole and I can't get up.

She was the first female country singer to go platinum -- Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blues and Talking In Your Sleep major cross-over hits. She has a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame near her older sister, Loretta Lynn. Old videos show she is a way stronger singer than Loretta.

She is still married to her childhood sweetheart, has two kids. I'm wondering if she's taken a cue from Dolly. Maybe it's just wishful thinking...

This video from 1982 HBO special just did it for me. I find her SO totally attractive. What's the deal? Is it just me? Good people of DL, break it down for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100March 21, 2021 9:01 PM

It's so hard to believe Loretta (trash) is her sister.

by Anonymousreply 1March 5, 2017 8:44 PM

Grammy for Brown Eyes Blue.

by Anonymousreply 2March 5, 2017 8:48 PM

Brown eye = asshole

by Anonymousreply 3March 5, 2017 8:54 PM

"One From The Heart" - Crystal and Tom Waits, great soundtrack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 5, 2017 9:00 PM

She is really good for someone named after a White Castle clone

by Anonymousreply 5March 5, 2017 9:00 PM

Crystal has long, long hair, almost down to her feet - it's one of her trademarks. Now that she has gotten older - 66- can you believe the massive job it would take to dye her hair on a regular basis? Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 6March 5, 2017 9:06 PM

This early version of DIMMBEB from the Midnight Special is the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 5, 2017 9:06 PM

She's a dead-ringer for every elderly woman who sells "inspired by" perfumes in every flea market in Florida.

Without the hair and makeup, she wouldn't look too bad for someone pushing 70.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 5, 2017 9:13 PM

I liked this one from before she hit it biggish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 5, 2017 9:15 PM

Crystal and Loretta were GORGEOUS in their day. Native American goddesses.

by Anonymousreply 10March 5, 2017 9:16 PM

Donuts make my brown eyes blue.

by Anonymousreply 11March 5, 2017 9:22 PM

Seems she had one too many bumps at this year's Grammy Awards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 5, 2017 9:40 PM

Just kidding. I love her hair and she always reminded me of a Princess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 5, 2017 9:44 PM

I was borderline obsessed with Crystal Gayle when I was a little kid - probably an early indication that I was a gayling, etc

I too like the One from the Heart soundtrack. I learned about it from a friend who's a big Tom Waits fan. At first I thought he was mistaken when he told me it was a collaboration with Crystal Gayle, they're such an unlikely pairing. But it works.

by Anonymousreply 14March 5, 2017 9:49 PM

Loretta inducted Crystal into the Grand Ole Opry this past January.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 5, 2017 9:59 PM

R1, that's a bit unfair to Loretta and Crystal. Why do you call Loretta trash? If it hadn't been for Loretta's success, Crystal wouldn't have had her career. They were born almost 20 years apart, raised in different times in different geographic areas with different educational opportunites. You may not like her music but to call her trash is idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 16March 5, 2017 10:08 PM

I may have inadvertently outed myself to my entire high school by submitting a charcoal portrait of Crystal Gayle in our annual student art exhibit my senior year. I'd worked on the drawing for a full semester and was very proud of it. Unfortunately,it was overworked beyond any drawing anyone had ever seen before and I did not win any award, not even "participant."

I titled my portrait "Crystal".

by Anonymousreply 17March 5, 2017 10:16 PM

r17, please post the drawing

by Anonymousreply 18March 5, 2017 10:17 PM

She was lovely, though strangely personality free. But this was pre-MTV so that image shit didn't matter much anyway. Great voice, simple melodies -- plus a classic soundtrack to a Coppola film to her credit.

by Anonymousreply 19March 5, 2017 10:19 PM

It's definitely a '70s look and came from a Native American Country Girl mix. Rita Coolidge had a version of it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 5, 2017 10:20 PM

OP

She's fantastic.

Loretta just released a new album that's wonderful too.

by Anonymousreply 21March 5, 2017 10:23 PM

As well as one of the Whites from The Wonderful Whites of West Virginia (when young):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 5, 2017 10:23 PM

yes, Crystal was also a coal miner's daughter, and she had that hair.... I used to wonder what would make my brown eyes turn blue, not quite getting her meaning.

by Anonymousreply 23March 5, 2017 10:30 PM

I must see r17's portrait of C.G. too.

by Anonymousreply 24March 5, 2017 10:37 PM

The lyrics don't all make sense but here she is at her loveliest. Makes me tear up even after all these years. Mary! (There, I said it for you).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 5, 2017 10:42 PM

I went to Hawaii in 1998 and went shopping in some indoor flea market on one of the islands. There was one booth that sold shells and jewelry and the proprietress had long hair almost like Crystal's. She had Crystal Gayle music playing, and framed autographed photos of Crystal Gayle on the wall of her booth too. I thought that was cool, so many female stars have fans that worship their music and emulate their style but I guess I didn't expect there to be a cult of Crystal Gayle.

by Anonymousreply 26March 5, 2017 11:08 PM

White trash = assholes with brown eye

by Anonymousreply 27March 5, 2017 11:19 PM

Just You and I - Duet with Eddie Rabbitt from that brief point in the early eighties when countrypolitan music became a sensation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 5, 2017 11:22 PM

LOVE Crystal Gayle!

by Anonymousreply 29March 5, 2017 11:23 PM

I want to see the notorious portrait , R17. Don't deny us!

by Anonymousreply 30March 5, 2017 11:26 PM

Gorgeous early Crystal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 5, 2017 11:26 PM

Picking Up After You - my favorite track from One from the Heart.

I agree that the pairing with Tom Waits seems nuts, but for the most part I think it works. The jarring combination of her mannered singing and clarity with his whiskey-soaked, heavily punctuated delivery holds more chemistry than it should. (It falls short of the Tom Waits/Bette Midler match-up, however.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 5, 2017 11:26 PM

One person is posting all responses to this thread, except me.

by Anonymousreply 33March 5, 2017 11:32 PM

I loved that one, R9. I wore her records out when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 34March 5, 2017 11:40 PM

Don't forget her dueting for the theme from "Another World".

by Anonymousreply 35March 5, 2017 11:56 PM

Sorry, couldn't post it with my phone.

by Anonymousreply 36March 5, 2017 11:57 PM

Here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 6, 2017 12:01 AM

[quote]Help! I've fallen in love with CRYSTAL GAYLE!

God, you're a tard.

by Anonymousreply 38March 6, 2017 12:11 AM

R25 Yes! "When I Dream". Such a beautiful, haunting song. Listening to the lyrics, I believe it's about a woman who has just about everything, except the man that she loves/wants.

by Anonymousreply 39March 6, 2017 2:47 AM

R38, be gone. You have no power here.

by Anonymousreply 40March 6, 2017 11:29 AM

Crystal is slick and Loretta is COUNTRY.

by Anonymousreply 41March 6, 2017 11:34 AM

long hair on an old woman is UGLY.

by Anonymousreply 42March 6, 2017 11:57 AM

i wonder if she ever wipes her ass with her hair?

by Anonymousreply 43March 6, 2017 11:58 AM

R25 Which of her lyrics don't make sense?

["Don't it make my brown eyes blue" = "doesn't it make my brown eyes very sad."]

by Anonymousreply 44March 6, 2017 12:15 PM

brown eye = asshole

by Anonymousreply 45March 6, 2017 12:20 PM

Congratulations, OP! That 1982 HBO video is a gold mine. Holds up very well today.

by Anonymousreply 46March 7, 2017 2:35 PM

Gary Morris did the original version of "Wind Beneath My Wings," which became a hit for Bette Midler when she sang it in [italic]Beaches[/italic]:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 7, 2017 2:39 PM

Have you been talking in your sleep about her?

by Anonymousreply 48June 25, 2018 8:00 PM

She (and Gary Morris) took us away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 25, 2018 8:12 PM

Wow, mannered singing is putting it mildly. She makes Cher sound like a virtuosa. Crystal Light had a pretty sweet sounding voice and that nice little trill at the top but she didn't know how to sing at all. She has no breath support and cuts her phrases short, the end notes just trail off. And when she goes to hit a high note she winds up for it with a little vocal hiccup. Very bad singing, honestly. She sounds very choppy.

by Anonymousreply 50June 25, 2018 8:19 PM

Haul out that portrait R17!

by Anonymousreply 51June 25, 2018 9:06 PM

I'm not a huge fan of her performance in OP's link, but I usually like her singing. (And I like her recording of Half the Way, but that performance just misses the mark, I think.) Perhaps R50 may have only heard than one performance because those comments don't really apply to her singing at R37. Or here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 25, 2018 11:25 PM

Crystal wasn't a huge success outside of the Country and AC charts. She had only three solo Top 40 singles on the Hot 100, and "Half The Way" was the third, peaking at No. 15 in December of 1979. Obviously, a much bigger success on the Country charts, with over 30 hits reaching the Top Ten, and almost half of them hitting the top spot. Despite the Country-Pop crossover successes of the late 70s/early 80s, particularly for Kenny Rogers, Crystal never managed that continued mainstream success.

Here's the video, her first ever, for "Half The Way".

by Anonymousreply 53June 26, 2018 12:38 AM

Oops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 26, 2018 12:39 AM

This one is good:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 26, 2018 12:53 AM

Side note: its amazing to look at the Top 40 chart the week of Dec. 15th 1979 when "Half the Way" peaked. You had:

Rock (Jefferson Starship, Tom Petty, Foreigner),

Pop (Hall & Oates, Little River Band, Kenny Loggins),

Country (Crystal, Kenny Rogers, Anne Murray),

R&B (Smokey Robinson, Commodores, Stevie Wonder),

Disco (Donna Summer, Yvonne Eliman, Kool & The Gang),

Adult/Easy Listening (Captain and Tennille, Barry Manilow, ABBA)

Plus however you want to categorize Prince...

And making its debut at No. 40, the song that would (in)famously become known for launching a music revolution, "Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles.

Literally something for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 56June 26, 2018 1:08 AM

We need to see the portrait, r17!

by Anonymousreply 57June 26, 2018 1:14 AM

Half the way is her best song.

by Anonymousreply 58June 26, 2018 1:19 AM

her song "don't it make my brown eye blue" was in reference to her asshole after getting fucked.

by Anonymousreply 59June 26, 2018 12:44 PM

lmao!!!

by Anonymousreply 60June 28, 2018 12:16 PM

Wow just blocked the dickhead who kept making the "asshole" comments. He thought his last comment was so funny he posted another comment right after that said "LMAO"...at his OWN comment. How fucking pathetic can you be?? No one thinks you're funny. Stop trying to make fetch happen. Dick.

by Anonymousreply 61June 28, 2018 4:20 PM

I play my bongos, listen to Odetta, and then I iron my hair. Dig?

by Anonymousreply 62June 28, 2018 4:51 PM

R17 's Mom threw out all of his artwork as well as his childhood toys and comic books

by Anonymousreply 63June 28, 2018 5:34 PM

I love her.

This is a beautiful song - We Must Believe in Magic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 28, 2018 5:51 PM

Eat me out, lick my cooch....don’t eat me out half the way!

by Anonymousreply 65June 28, 2018 6:43 PM

Lol R63. Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 66June 28, 2018 6:52 PM

Francesco Scavullo took some stunning photos of Crystal Gayle for her “Miss the Mississippi” album.

by Anonymousreply 67June 28, 2018 7:13 PM

Written and inspired by Art Bell’s program. He was a big fan of hers. Beautiful song!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 28, 2018 7:25 PM

I'm seeing her in concert in August.

I also have that 1982 HBO concert on DVD and it is great to pop in and listen to on occasion.

by Anonymousreply 69June 28, 2018 7:46 PM

Hate to say but the 2018 Crystal could take some makeup lessons from big sis. Stop with that awful black eyeliner for starters.

by Anonymousreply 70June 28, 2018 8:06 PM

does that bitch still have hair down to her knees?

by Anonymousreply 71June 29, 2018 12:02 PM

Help!

by Anonymousreply 72June 29, 2018 12:08 PM

I have been a longtime fan of Crystal Gayle. All the songs posted here brought back the beautiful memories. I have many of her songs on my playlists. In addition, I use iHeartRadio for music and play an Anne Murray channel that Crystal pops up from time to time. Thank you r68 for the Midnight in the Desert, a song I was not familiar with. It was beautiful! However, you left out one of my favs.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 29, 2018 9:15 PM

And...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 29, 2018 10:04 PM

R74 Sound of Goodbye and Why Have You Left I think are my 2 favorite songs of her. She so plaintive on Goodbye in some sections. Thanks for sharing!

by Anonymousreply 75July 1, 2018 2:36 AM

Any good playlists?

by Anonymousreply 76July 1, 2018 2:44 AM

Love Crystal, love her voice and her music ("Talking in Your Sleep" is lovely).

Plus she sang at the concert for gay and transgender rights in Nashville a few years ago and was one of the few acts to agree to perform when many didn't. She'll always have my respect.

by Anonymousreply 77July 1, 2018 2:48 AM

I live in Nashville, and used to see her around. She was always very sweet and nice. She used to own a store here that sold knick knacks, but it closed.

If I'm not mistaken, she belongs to some religion that does not allow women to cut their hair?

And...this, without a doubt, is my favorite song of hers, and one of my favorites songs, period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 1, 2018 3:06 AM

Isn't Sylvia their baby sister? Weird that they didn't all have the same last name

by Anonymousreply 79July 1, 2018 3:11 AM

Sylvia is not related to them. Both Crystal and Loretta were born with the last name Webb, but Loretta used her married last name, and Crystal (born Brenda) used her middle name.

by Anonymousreply 80July 1, 2018 4:03 AM

Bitches, I’m going to have a Crystal Gayle binge tomorrow because of this thread. I’m already getting emotional from so much nostalgia!

by Anonymousreply 81July 1, 2018 5:22 AM

One From the Heart

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 1, 2018 5:51 AM

[quote] Plus she sang at the concert for gay and transgender rights in Nashville a few years ago

That must have been quite the conundrum since trannies want to erase gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 83July 1, 2018 6:00 AM

I love her ANOTHER WORLD duet with Gary Morris. They both sound great.

by Anonymousreply 84July 1, 2018 6:13 AM

My mother and I were fortunate enough to see Crystal and Kenny Rogers in concert in the early 80's. Gallager and his watermellon act opened for them. This was on Derby eve in Lexington, KY. There happened to be a few celebs there that night in town to attend derby next day in Louisville. Debbie Reynolds and the champ Muhullmod Al i with one of his wives walked in with security guards. Kenny's wife Mary Ann was also there and they announced the news of expecting 1st child. Crystal's hair was down to her ankles. It was a very memorable nignt. (please excuse any spelling errors)

by Anonymousreply 85July 1, 2018 6:57 AM

Billy, is that you posting these obsessive Crystal Gayle posts? I had a boyfriend in the early 2000's who was OBSESSED w/ Crystal Gayle. He was a member of her fan club (which is comprised of total white trash), has T-shirts, letters, the works. It was kind of endearing, I guess. He had a beer can for a dick and was great in bed, which made my brown eye very happy.

by Anonymousreply 86July 1, 2018 3:05 PM

did he make your brown eye blue, r86?

by Anonymousreply 87July 2, 2018 10:57 AM

Just saw her concert yesterday and it was great fun.

She is very generous performer letting her band perform/sing some songs on their own and bringing out sister/back-up singer Peggy Sue for duet on Coalminer's Daughter and letting Peggy Sue do a very hilarious comedy routine about talking trash about her neighbors.

The hair is still down to her ankles but very thin at the bottom. She'd actually do herself a word of good to cut it below the shoulders as it is still quite thick and beautiful til it hits her knees.

Her voice was awesome and rich. Usually when a female singer hits a certain age (I believe she is pushing 70) it can harden and deepen...but she still sounds as lovely as ever.

I paid $5 for an 8x10 and met her after the show and got it signed along with a selfie. Very sweet and she remembered me laughing so hard (I was in the 4th row) at Peggy Sue's comedy act.

by Anonymousreply 88August 19, 2018 8:13 PM

Did she take you away, r88?

by Anonymousreply 89August 19, 2018 8:37 PM

My grandparents would listen to her albums while they had cocktails before dinner. "Here I go down that wrong road again," my grandmother would say as she poured herself a second g & t.

by Anonymousreply 90August 19, 2018 9:11 PM

R89, I wish. She had a hot young guy playing the fiddle for her.

The queen who was running her merch table was also pretty cute for a guy on his late 40s.

Again, she was sweet and hilarious. I thanked her for coming back to our area since last time her tour bus was stolen. She looked at me and deadpanned, "Were you the one who took it?"

by Anonymousreply 91August 20, 2018 12:59 AM

I wish i knew why she recorded a song called "Don't It Make My Brown Eye Blue?" Was she into anal?

by Anonymousreply 92August 21, 2018 11:06 AM

She was not r91's way.

by Anonymousreply 93August 21, 2018 11:19 AM

she was the queen of anal.

by Anonymousreply 94August 25, 2018 11:20 AM

My mother had long hair like Gayle and so I grew up loving her look and voice. I also think and that she and Tom Waits were excellent together. I listen to those songs at least once a month. I love her and I think he is a genius.

As for Loretta being " trash" - that is a flat out lie. I can't stand people who can't look beyond upbringing to see greatness. I was raised in a upper middle class family and we all loved and still love Miss Loretta. We think of her as family.

by Anonymousreply 95August 25, 2018 3:15 PM

crystal gayle was classy and loretta lynn was trashy.

by Anonymousreply 96August 26, 2018 12:40 PM

If you’re into bdsm you can tie her up with her own hair.

by Anonymousreply 97August 26, 2018 3:06 PM

she's into anal. she sings a shitty song about her brown eye

by Anonymousreply 98August 26, 2018 8:43 PM

I read somewhere that the song was written as an ode to Gayle giving up her Native American roots for life among white people - hence her brown eyes turning blue.

by Anonymousreply 99March 21, 2021 8:20 PM

Speak singer who had a soft pleasant voice with decent enunciation.

by Anonymousreply 100March 21, 2021 9:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!