Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Louisiana - the biggest shit-hole in the nation or just the 2nd biggest shit-hole?

Poverty. Crime. Obesity. Some of the worst education stats in the nation. And a red, red, red state that voted Trump.

What is wrong with these people?

Why can't they fix their state?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 26, 2019 10:55 PM

all of the deep south is either partying on the beach or shithole poverty.

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2017 10:21 PM

Ha, ha!

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2017 10:21 PM

and vampires...and floating coffins...

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2017 10:23 PM

Oklahoma's worse. At least Louisiana has New Orleans and great Seafood, what the hell does Oklahoma have? Red clay shit dirt everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2017 10:23 PM

as long as the blacks have it even worse, they're all good, what's the problem?

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2017 10:25 PM

OK's got the Pioneer Woman, r5!

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2017 10:26 PM

French Canadians in the heat. Need I say more?

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2017 10:26 PM

Oklahoma has hot wrestlers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2017 10:26 PM

This is largely thework of former governor Bobby Jindal and his GOP legislature. He also gutted state higher education funding in LA to the point of a crisis.

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2017 10:30 PM

Louisiana has the most corrupt police officers per capita.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 17, 2017 10:31 PM

Highest murder rate in the nation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2017 10:33 PM

Louisiana gets F grade in 2015 State Integrity Investigation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2017 10:34 PM

Please don't tell my friend that New Orleans is a shit hole. He moved from New York to be a somebody in Louisiana. He's still a nobody in New Orleans and stuck in that shit hole state.

by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2017 10:38 PM

not jindal's fault, though he certainly didn't help.

louisiana has been a racist corrupt shit hole for years and they just don't care, either party. once outside of the tourist areas of NO, it's like some pathetic 3rd world country

by Anonymousreply 14February 17, 2017 10:42 PM

the state will never be fixed because the poor racist whites would rather vote for racist and anti-poor republican politicians than side with the poor black people. For white people it's race over even their own best interests. If you're poor, what's the point in voting for a party that wants to keep you there? Answer: racism. The poor whites would rather see others suffer more.

by Anonymousreply 15February 17, 2017 10:43 PM

What r2 said. Mississippi still manages to be worst.

Mississippi is poorer than Louisiana. Mississippi is fatter than Louisiana.

by Anonymousreply 16February 17, 2017 10:43 PM

Shit holes are relative.

Utah.

Idaho.

Tenne-Fucking-See

Any state with sizable Trump majorities.

by Anonymousreply 17February 17, 2017 10:47 PM

R16 No. MS and LA have contributed our greatest writers (Faulkner, Williams, Welty, etc.) and America's only unique art form (Jazz), respectively. States like AR, AL and WV have given us noting and are equally ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 18February 17, 2017 10:47 PM

R13 and his friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 17, 2017 10:48 PM

r19 I'd never wear pearls.

by Anonymousreply 20February 17, 2017 10:49 PM

They also gave us the insufferable Don Lemon

by Anonymousreply 21February 17, 2017 10:53 PM

Wouldn't you just curl up and die if you had to tell people you were from Baton Rouge, Louisiana?

by Anonymousreply 22February 17, 2017 10:58 PM

Mississippi and Florida still have it beat by a country mile.

by Anonymousreply 23February 17, 2017 11:03 PM

You get the state you vote for.

The Shitholes in the south are shitholes because this is what they keep Voting for. When there's a disaster, they run to the federal government begging for money.

by Anonymousreply 24February 17, 2017 11:04 PM

i get tired of hearing how the stupid rednecks in these shitholes vote "against their interests"

it's true that they vote against their ECONOMIC interests, (letting the rich rape, pillage and foul the place, but white privilege supersedes (i almost typed trumps) their economics always

i'm 70+ years old and grew up south (getting the hell out after college and never going back). It's always been about race, it's still about race and it will always be about race. It's in their dna they will never accept that blacks are their equals and deserving of their fair share of the pie

by Anonymousreply 25February 17, 2017 11:31 PM

I classify the southern states where everything is about race as shit hole. (and arizona due to what the do to the native americans.

i would classify UT and ID as hellholes, horrible places to live because of the politics and the destruction of the environment. while they vote for haters like trump, i don't think they are as hellbent on making considerable segments of their population, suffer with lousy schools, health care Kansas another hellhole the rethugiks have destroyed

by Anonymousreply 26February 17, 2017 11:39 PM

I guess all those charter schools didn't work so well for them. DeVos will turn the whole nation into Louisiana.

by Anonymousreply 27February 17, 2017 11:48 PM

yep, how can we demolish education even further and funnel the tax funds, (already woefully inadequate) into the coffers of our campaign countributers

take from the poor, give to the rich, that's the credo

by Anonymousreply 28February 17, 2017 11:58 PM

The assholes who live in these states, aka The Basket of Deplorables, consider education an effete concept, something pansy assed liberals and fags do cause they're basically effeminate. Real men don't get educated. They hunt, fish, play football, but they don't do education. Because they have no education, they can only do blue collar work. When the blue collar work disappears to countries with cheaper labor, they bitch and whine the Gubment, composed of those despised, effete, educated liberals, isn't doing enough to help their stupid, lazy asses.

End of story.

by Anonymousreply 29February 18, 2017 12:16 AM

Brilliant summation, R29. It really is as simple as that. I grew up in rural northwestern PA, and that's the mindset there, too. Disgusting rednecks without a wit about them. Boring, hateful, fat, clueless people.

I thought Tennessee ranked dead last in education, though. It was Mississippi?

by Anonymousreply 30February 18, 2017 12:29 AM

Does the state have any moderate or liberal pockets at least?

by Anonymousreply 31February 18, 2017 12:59 AM

R18, WV gave us Davis Grubb's "Night of the Hunter, Eleanor Steber, the mint julep, and Tudor's Biscuit World. And without WV there would be no Eudora Welty for Mississippi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 18, 2017 1:18 AM

of course, there are some very fine empathetic and progressive people, (houston had a lesbian mayor, atlanta is quite moderate, virginia is becoming moderate. the problem is there are not enough of them to win statewide (and electoral college) and the rethughs have gerrymandered the state to dilute the power in the house

by Anonymousreply 33February 18, 2017 1:29 AM

What about the youth? Are they any more progressive than the older generations?

by Anonymousreply 34February 18, 2017 1:30 AM

Have you ever met a redneck? What is their defining characteristic? That's right, stubborn. Disagree for the hell of it. Now imagine the FRENCH redneck. The smug sense of superiority, the hairsplitting arguments, the endless gift of gab, the neurotic competitiveness and concerns about social status: Louisiana is a place where everybody decent becomes a drunk because they just can't ever resolve or solve anything with these people. And on top of that add a history of family feuds, barbarous race relations, contempt for authority, vigilantism and duels. Add on top of that voodoo, pollution, and drugs.

And then you get Louisiana

by Anonymousreply 35February 18, 2017 1:31 AM

I've been all over the world but New Orleans is the one place I want to see at least one more time before I die.

by Anonymousreply 36February 18, 2017 1:34 AM

Louisiana's State Motto is :Thank God for Mississippi!

by Anonymousreply 37February 18, 2017 1:37 AM

R36, my advice is go there another three times. You will have seen and done everything that NOLA has to offer, and you will never want to return.

by Anonymousreply 38February 18, 2017 1:39 AM

succinctly, redneck=dumb as fuck and proud of it, hates darker hued people and gays

by Anonymousreply 39February 18, 2017 1:43 AM

I've already been at least 4 times, R38. There's something about it that I'm just drawn to.

by Anonymousreply 40February 18, 2017 1:45 AM

Louisiana is a sinkhole of dreams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 18, 2017 2:07 AM

Real Louisiana

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 18, 2017 2:22 AM

I don't totally understand what's going on at R42, but the music's kinda fun..

by Anonymousreply 43February 18, 2017 2:27 AM

I was so fascinated by R42's link, I had to look it up, and I found another, extended clip of this festival from 1972.

Definitely a custom I've never known, from a place I've never been to, but it looks like a joyous, festive, colorful occasion for all. A little fun never hurt anyone..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 18, 2017 2:38 AM

57% of the USA's blacks live in the South, In Louisiana 32% of the population is black. That is a big reason why Louisiana is a shithole and why I would never live down south.

by Anonymousreply 45February 18, 2017 3:00 AM

excellent, one less racist supporting the haters

by Anonymousreply 46February 18, 2017 3:30 AM

I lived in NO twice,once in 1986 and again 1992.I had a great time with fantastic memories,but I would never want to visit again. it was a crime ridden shithole in 1986,its a crime ridden shit hole now.God,I had some fun there though!

by Anonymousreply 47February 18, 2017 4:26 AM

dont u talk bad bout looziana, boy

by Anonymousreply 48February 18, 2017 4:34 AM

They don't know how to pronounce the 'monde' in Cafe du Monde, the popular coffee-and-beignets cafe. Drives me fuckin nuts.

by Anonymousreply 49February 18, 2017 7:49 AM

And let's not forget that Louisiana remains one of the biggest recipients of tax dollars collected from blue donor states. We have been paying for Louisiana's mismanagement and for the self-inflicted health problems of their citizens for decades. None of that is going to change soon.

by Anonymousreply 50February 18, 2017 8:10 AM

Mississippi spends one of the highest percentages in the nation of state tax dollar revenue on public education. The problem is the state does not have strong income wealth and was never much industrialized. The delta, once thriving agriculurally, has few jobs to offer. The gulf coast of the state has progressive development, but still does not provide enough tax revenue to help lift all areas.

Where's the added revenue coming from? Higher taxes on poor blacks and poor whites? It is not like Mississippi is full.of billionaires and many millionaires stashing their cash like Wall Street bankers.

by Anonymousreply 51February 18, 2017 8:22 AM

R27, There are charter schools that are far superior to public schools. Then there are some that really are terrible. Some in Louisiana and the Deep South use the Bekka books associated with Christian schools. Here's essentially what they teach about slavery. Yes Blacks were taken from their homeland in Africa to America in ships. However at least they had the opportunity to be introduced to Christ. Furthermore not all slave owners were bad. Sickening and stupid.

IMHO the poverty of the Deep South and elsewhere will never change until young teen pregnancy is eliminate. Once young women stop having babies until they're at least 21 and in a good solid marriage AND economically stable many related problems will disappear. Religious influences mean teens aren't given birth control. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 52February 18, 2017 8:25 AM

Lived in New Orleans for 7 years, never so much gay hatred in my life. Commonly called a cocksucker and butthole boy from white trash deplorables, Many weekend tripping from adjacent Alabama and Mississippi. The gays are rude and clicqish,don't want friendships or relationships, As I was told by 1 guy, I just fuck tourists. Half are drug dealers or pedophiles Or worse. The undisputed queen of the town, is a fat, homely tranny, who with her Surprisingly decent husband owns the local fag rag. Shit, piss and vomit everywhere.Crappy overpriced junk food, unless You pay for the Four star restaurants.Crawfish, fucking oversized bugs, No one ate until the depression. Was always racially friendly, until you've been called white motha fucka, About 19,000 times.I want that 45 year old "boy" fired cause he's white. Had your head hit with a baseball bat or almost stabbed until Another white guy pulled up and hollered jump in, and drives You to an emergency room. Yes, there are a couple of great, really nice people in NOLA, but few And far between. Only really good think to say, never got so much good straight cock From conventioneers, in my life. So, there was a silver lining.

by Anonymousreply 53February 18, 2017 11:41 AM

Edna Ferber was their best recent writer.

But George Washington Cable gives you a real feel for it. Read "Les Grandissimes" to see the kind of thing that should be taught in American schools.

by Anonymousreply 54February 18, 2017 3:33 PM

R53, where did you go to get that straight cock?

by Anonymousreply 55February 19, 2017 4:40 AM

Clarify exactly what you mean, R1. Did you really mean it the way you typed?

by Anonymousreply 56February 20, 2017 6:03 AM

Well, there's always Houston...

by Anonymousreply 57February 20, 2017 6:49 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 58March 12, 2017 11:38 PM

shitty

by Anonymousreply 59March 13, 2017 12:03 AM

Mississippi ranks 46th in education spending per student, but 28th in tax revenue per capita. So don't let this idiot sandbag you, they don't like book larnin down there.

by Anonymousreply 60March 13, 2017 2:22 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 61April 3, 2017 12:43 PM

My wife and I did a four month road trip through the south last winter. Where it was warm enough we camped in campgrounds. It was mostly retirees staying there. When we'd strike up a conversation with an older guy we'd notice at the end of the conversation he tell us, "now you two be careful". I don't know exactly what they were warning us about. We've camped and backpacked around the PNW and no one has ever told us that.

by Anonymousreply 62April 3, 2017 3:50 PM

Alabama and Mississippi are shittier but not by much

by Anonymousreply 63April 3, 2017 4:31 PM

At least I fixted my chocolate City!

by Anonymousreply 64April 3, 2017 4:58 PM

Even the tourist areas are unsafe in NOLA. Friend got jumped and robbed on Bourbon Street in front of a busy restaurant by 3 skateboard riding WHITE boys.

by Anonymousreply 65April 3, 2017 5:40 PM

How is Baton Rouge?

by Anonymousreply 66January 26, 2019 9:42 PM

R13. Oh, my. Why did he think a New Yorker could be a somebody in New Orleans?

by Anonymousreply 67January 26, 2019 9:58 PM

Southern white culture

by Anonymousreply 68January 26, 2019 9:58 PM

Just had a conversation about NOLA with a friend the other day. Has absolutely no allure to me; seems humid, crime-ridden, and decayed. If I want French culture in North America, I’ll go to Quebec.

by Anonymousreply 69January 26, 2019 10:23 PM

Gurl I be catching up to you soon watch ya back hon....

by Anonymousreply 70January 26, 2019 10:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!