Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WINGMEN---Maybe the greatest gay book of all time (by request from the guys in the Cheesy MM thread to start a new thread):

Written in 1979 by a former USN officer, it tells the story of fighter pilots Fred Trusteau and Jack Hardigan, battling the Japanese across the Pacific and coming to terms with their feelings for each other, and the equally hazardous undertaking of making a life together in postwar America.

Yeah, that's a spoiler. But I want to put it right up front that this is not a downer of a novel with the obligatory unhappy ending like most of the gay-themed novels of my youth. It's not a 100% happy ending (many reviewers have described it as "bittersweet") due to the realities of the time period. But the author doesn't betray his characters by having them breakup or kill themselves or sink into a seedy gay underworld because (as SO many novels of the time implied) that's just what the gays do, they can't be happy. He makes it clear that the problems they face are imposed by a homophobic society, not from their fundamentally flawed relationship.

Some readers may object to the depiction of sex (very low key, implied rather than explicit), the fact that they never say "I love you" or talk much about the relationship at all (in short, typical men of that time and pretty much any time). They might object to the fact that there's far more fighting than fucking and the lack of political consciousness. But this is a WAR novel, it's not a backdrop, it's what consumed nearly every America male for 5 years and defined that generation, as as a poltical novel, it's far more effective for NOT making its points with bullhorn.

What it us is:

A wartime love story every bit the equal of classics like For Whom the Bell Tolls and From Here to Eternity.

A totally realistic depiction of men at war, military life, and what it's like to be a military man in love with another in circumstances where acknowledging that live could get you disgraced, discharged and even imprisoned (and thus is my now firsthand experience btw).

One of the very few books that depicts love between men as enobling, righteous and even heroic, against a backdrop of fantastic scenes of aerial combat.

An all around portrait of life aboard a WW2 aircraft carrier, complete with all the great characters and humor you encounter in that type of situations. Every one of these characters rings true. Every one.

Maybe it's me, but I was relieved the author doesn't take them on a tour of the gay scene and give them a wise drag queen to dispense wisdom or a fag hag friend. It might have made the story "gayer" from a publisher's POV but wouldn't have rung true for these men.

M/M fiction gets bashed regularly around here, and books like this are one of the reasons: those of us who've read it know what that kind of story can be in the hands of a master storyteller whose painstaking research and insider knowledge shows on every page. Once you've read Wingmen, the cheap substitutes just show for what they are.

I read it for the first time 30 years ago, and it's stayed with me ever since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 13, 2021 12:49 AM

And in case I forgot to mention, written by a MALE naval officer.

Photo below of the author as a young Navy Officer, a few years before he wrote the book:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2017 6:33 PM

Author's website. Doesn't look like he updates it very often but seems he's working on another book. Story inside of how Wingmen became a cult novel and how he secured the rights again and had it republished:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2017 6:36 PM

I prefer "The Boy Who Picked the Bullets Up"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2017 6:36 PM

I read that one a long time ago, R3. I agree it's a good book, but a very different kind of book. Case in a lot of ways wrote a novel that could have been published in 1945 (except for the subject matter).

The Boy Who Picked the Bullets Up is dark and much more modern, like M*A*S*H or Catch 22. Also, again, there's that implication that a gay man can't end up happy, it's either slit your wrists or forever alone.

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2017 6:41 PM

Sounds tire iron-free.

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2017 6:45 PM

Thanks, OP!

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2017 6:47 PM

Thanks, OP. I just grabbed Wingmen on Kindle based on your rec. I've been eyeing The Boy Who Picked Up the Bullets for a while. I wish it would either get a reprint or have an e-book equivalent.

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2017 6:51 PM

You're welcome, R6. I can't believe this book doesn't have its own thread yet, or if it does it was back before the Great DL Purge.

Especially when MM by Fraus has a bunch.

And if you go to the Amazon reviews for Wingmen you can tell who the MM readers are ("too many battle scenes!")

by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2017 6:57 PM

Thank you, OP. I had always assumed Wingmen was written by a female so I've avoided it. I'll give it a try.

The Boy Who Picked the Bullets Up was one of the earliest gay-themed books I ever read and I adored it.

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2017 6:59 PM

Definitely male, R9. It's apparent from the dialogue (and internal monolog) alone.

Wingmen predates the MM phenomenon by 30 years. Except for maybe The Front Runner, which was written by a woman and maybe that's the reason I could never get into it, it didnt ring true for me.

by Anonymousreply 10February 17, 2017 7:11 PM

Decades ago, I gave a copy of 'Wing Men' to a guy I was dating who was in the Navy. We reconnected on Facebook a few years ago, and he sent a pic of himself with the paperback, said he still remembered me and thanked me for helping him come out.

He was a hot fuck, too.

by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2017 7:18 PM

I'll add this to my to-be-read pile OP - thanks!

Another shout out for The Boy Who Picked the Bullets Up - loved it!

Fascinated by gay men in the military in years gone by. There's a really interesting chapter in a recent non-fiction biography/history of the ship HMAS Australia, about a gay-oriented murder onboard. Gives great background and what happened to the characters involved. Basically was played down cos there was a war on. Still unclear as to whether the motive was blackmail - or jealousy. But clearly, plenty of male/male action was going on...

There were also a few coffee table photography collection books featuring photos of men together in the various forces during wartime - really homoerotic stuff! Woof!

by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2017 7:19 PM

Just downloaded the iBooks sample. Starts with one of the main characters fucking a fish. Why?

by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2017 7:21 PM

He's doing what's expected of him, R13. The point of that scene is what's going through his mind not what he's (trying) to do with his dick. A guy was, shit, IS, expected to maintain a macho image for the other guys.

Your question is answered in the line about how he'd worked to set up the evening with the girl and made sure the other pilots saw them go into the hotel. There are women in the story, just like in life, and the author treats them respectfully. They're there for contrast with what develops later between the 2 men.

by Anonymousreply 14February 17, 2017 7:32 PM

You're probably thinking of this, R12:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 17, 2017 7:34 PM

^^^^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 17, 2017 7:35 PM

Just 2 buds chilling on the flight deck...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 17, 2017 7:37 PM

[quote]And if you go to the Amazon reviews for Wingmen you can tell who the MM readers are ("too many battle scenes!")

I hate battle scenes, too. I'm not an MM reader. Not a frau, either.

by Anonymousreply 18February 17, 2017 8:35 PM

I didn't mind the battle scenes, but I thought the aviation/mechanical jargon was very tedious after a while.

by Anonymousreply 19February 17, 2017 9:00 PM

I am currently reading this and so far so good. My favorite in this genre is Mary Renault's The Charioteer (1953) which has that rare happy ending and has a very similar tone to Wingmen. WIth that said, there is a clear difference in which a man writes. In Maurice, While England Sleeps, and Wingmen I was able to connect to the story right from the beginning, while with The Charioteer it took me a chapter or two to get into the story. I guess is true that between men we are able to connect better.

I still hold The Charioteer as the standard of a [realistic during war] gay happy ending. I hope Wingmen is another great book.

by Anonymousreply 20February 17, 2017 9:07 PM

R14 I couldn't get past the first two paragraphs. All that discussion female orgasm. I threw up.

I'll try again.

by Anonymousreply 21February 17, 2017 9:10 PM

I like the book, it's a great read. However, the lead characters seem a bit two dimensional. Fred always gets everything right, and is good at anything he tries. Jack is generally the strong, silent type unless he needs to be charming or forceful. The author is aware of this, and writes it into other characters' observations of the pair, so I wonder why the choice of such trope-y characters in the lead. I found Eleanor Hawkins and Duane Higgins to be more nuanced in their portrayal.

The Charioteer does a better job of character development. Even though Ralph is also a strong, silent type and Andrew is perfection (in Laurie's mind), there are different facets to their personality and those are revealed to other characters, not mostly limited to their inmost thoughts. The ancillary characters (Alec, Sandy, even Reg and the nurse) seem three dimensional.

Was there a difference between wartime American and British attitudes about homosexuality, and the recognition of it by the public?

by Anonymousreply 22February 18, 2017 5:54 PM

Not reading it. I'd be too depressed by the likelihood that the characters died of AIDS within a few years.

by Anonymousreply 23February 18, 2017 6:00 PM

In 1945?

by Anonymousreply 24February 18, 2017 6:02 PM

One fault I found with WINGMEN is that Jack wasn't given much of an internal life. We got a good deal of Fred's thoughts and inner reactions to his feelings for Jack as they developed, but hardly anything from Jack's side. Jack would ponder for a moment, then go back to his paper work. Even after their big night on leave, the author didn't tell us what was going on in Jack's head.

by Anonymousreply 25February 19, 2017 2:59 PM

That's because this is 3/4 of the life of a Navy officer, R25:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 20, 2017 12:08 AM

I read this book some weeks ago, and was surprised by how good it is. I loved Fred and Jack, but Duane is definitely the most interesting character, with his grudging infatuation with Jack.

An underrated gem.

by Anonymousreply 27June 4, 2021 4:35 PM

Haven't read yet. This has DRAMATIZATION written all over it.

Feature film? Or limited series/mini-series?

Perhaps a stage play?

by Anonymousreply 28June 4, 2021 4:52 PM

R28 It has all the ingredients for a classic feature film. Unfortunately, there still isn't any studio willing to greenlight a high-budget production featuring a main gay character.

by Anonymousreply 29June 4, 2021 6:57 PM

R29 well, Burning Blue was made, so it's possible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 12, 2021 6:48 PM

[quote]I'm not an MM reader.

What is "MM"?

by Anonymousreply 31June 12, 2021 6:57 PM

Okay. I bought it. $5 on kindle.

by Anonymousreply 32June 12, 2021 7:20 PM

R31 Male/Male

by Anonymousreply 33June 13, 2021 12:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!