Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bonnie and Clyde reunited! Faye Dunaway, 76, Warren Beatty, 79, to present Best Picture Oscar' marking film's 50th anniversary

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261April 23, 2018 2:51 PM

I'll never forget that ending when I saw it as a child. It truly affected me.

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2017 5:58 AM

Dustin Hoffman and Katharine Ross would be a better choice to celebrate a 50th anniversary.

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2017 5:58 AM

Christ, I can't believe 1967 was 50 years ago. Doesn't seem real. I remember when the Wizard Of Oz (1939) had its 50th anniversary in 1989—now THAT is a movie that seems like ancient history, from another world almost. Bonnie And Clyde, and the whole groovy late 60s time period, seems very recent still.

Isn't the passage of time bizarre?

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2017 5:59 AM

R2. They would be fine, but Faye and Warren are even better.

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2017 6:01 AM

In the town of Bienville or Arcadia, Louisiana (forget which) in NE Louisiana, is the place where Bonny and Clyde were shot. I travelled that little country road sometimes, it goes up a hill then goes flat and straight. There is a little monument right at the spot where they got shot. The monument is all shot up by those hillbilly boys who get drunk and go up there with their girlfriends and think they are hot shit. I still got a stone I picked up right where Bonny died.

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2017 6:05 AM

Here it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2017 6:06 AM

[R3] - I know exactly how you feel.

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2017 6:07 AM

I remember going to the movies at age 12. Bonnie and Clyde was a huge hit. Two standouts from the movie: the final bloody scene when Bonnie and Clyde die. Amazingly graphic. And Estelle Parsons as Clyde's sister-in-law screaming with that high-pitched voice whenever they were in trouble and running/driving from the police.

The film received Academy Awards for Best Supporting Actress (Estelle Parsons) and Best Cinematography (Burnett Guffey). It was among the first 100 films selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry.

by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2017 6:09 AM

When Warren Beatty was on board as producer only, his sister Shirley MacLaine was a strong possibility to play Bonnie, but when Beatty decided to play Clyde, obviously a different actress was needed. Those considered for the role were Jane Fonda, Tuesday Weld, Ann-Margret, Leslie Caron, Carol Lynley and Sue Lyon. Cher auditioned for the part, while Warren Beatty begged Natalie Wood to play the role. Wood declined the role to concentrate more on her therapy at the time, and acknowledged that working with Beatty before was "difficult." Faye Dunaway stated that she won the part "by the skin of her teeth!

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2017 6:10 AM

Estelle Parsons won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of Blanche Barrow, and Burnett Guffey won an Academy Award for Best Cinematography.

The film was also nominated for:

Best Picture – Warren Beatty

Best Director – Arthur Penn

Best Writing (Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen) – David Newman and Robert Benton

Best Actor in a Leading Role – Warren Beatty

Best Actress in a Leading Role – Faye Dunaway

Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Gene Hackman

Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Michael J. Pollard

Best Costume Design – Theadora Van Runkle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 17, 2017 6:12 AM

Up against Warren and Faye in "Bonnie and Clyde" for the Academy Award:

Rod Steiger won Best Actor for "In the Heat of the Night"

Katherine Hepburn won Best Actress for "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2017 6:17 AM

Ummm.....OK R10...

by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2017 6:19 AM

Wasn't Beatty rumoured to have dementia? I remember reading that in various industry connected forums. Nicholson, too, but the talk about about Beatty. That seems like a big risk if true. He would hate to be seen as compromised in any way.

Too bad the few insiders we used to have here were chased off.

by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2017 6:21 AM

Faye is from a town called One Egg.

by Anonymousreply 14February 17, 2017 6:22 AM

I was 11 when my dad took me to see this film. The ending was so graphic and horrific to me, as a young girl, that I've simply never forgotten it. Especially when you factor in the Richard Speck murders (a year before) and the Tate murders (two years after), violence at that time seemed everywhere. I pretty much was traumatized by this movie, and I wish I'd never seen it at that young age.

by Anonymousreply 15February 17, 2017 6:23 AM

You're not a girl. You're an old man.

by Anonymousreply 16February 17, 2017 6:25 AM

r13 not true. Beatty had a film out last Dec. and he was on talk shows and film festival panels discussing it

by Anonymousreply 17February 17, 2017 6:34 AM

Maybe that was intended to be young gurl.

by Anonymousreply 18February 17, 2017 6:39 AM

[quote] I know = MARY!

R15, that's not something you attach to your own post. Others might post that but your shouldn't do it to your own stuff. Its comes across as presumptuous.

by Anonymousreply 19February 17, 2017 6:40 AM

r19 I thought of it as refreshingly self-aware for this site. (I'm not r15)

by Anonymousreply 20February 17, 2017 6:42 AM

Thank you for educating me, R19!

by Anonymousreply 21February 17, 2017 6:44 AM

Nice day for a drive in the country.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 17, 2017 6:19 PM

Great film- saw it again the other night.

by Anonymousreply 23February 17, 2017 7:39 PM

Faye will do something to fuck herself over. Bet on it.

by Anonymousreply 24February 17, 2017 7:52 PM

Too bad their lives were not as glamorous as the movie

by Anonymousreply 25February 17, 2017 8:50 PM

I hope Faye knows what she's getting herself into by appearing on the telecast.

by Anonymousreply 26February 17, 2017 9:52 PM

Faye Dunaway has only herself and her surgeons/derms to blame. One good facelift and eye work was all she needed. She had that 25 years ago and should have stopped there. She has since obliterated the facial structure that would have kept her a kind of gorgeous for life. Faces don't come much better made than Faye Dunaways'.

Kim Novak was always a pierogi faced sow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 17, 2017 10:22 PM

Still beautiful at 59 years old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 17, 2017 10:29 PM

Warren in his prime is just quite something. Tall, dark, great build, gorgeous eyes. Jesus!

R27 and R28, I totally agree with you both. She wrecked her face and has quite the toxic attitude.

by Anonymousreply 29February 17, 2017 10:39 PM

"Bonnie and Clyde" was an exciting, entertaining movie, but it was mostly bullshit.

Clyde Barrow was a remorseless killer; he and his gang killed 11 people, most of them police officers. Bonnie Parker was not much better; her involvement in the murders has been debated but she was an obviously enthusiastic member of the gang and relished the attention their exploits got. The Barrow gang were penny ante thieves; they tended to rob gas stations and little stores rather than banks. John Dillinger was a real bank robber and he got large hauls for his efforts; the Barrows would usually end up with a few hundred. The part in the movie where Clyde gives the old farmer his money back in the bank never happened. Some other bank robber did that, maybe Dillinger. But not Clyde Barrow.

Neither Clyde nor Bonnie were particularly attractive. Clyde was a plain faced teeny little runt; Bonnie was sort of cute, but a runt like Clyde. However, Blanche Barrow was a knock out, a very attractive woman. She put Bonnie to shame. For some reason in the movie Blanche was made out to be homely and a screeching, hysterical nitwit. Blanche Barrow, who was alive when the movie came out, filed a lawsuit claiming the movie falsely depicted her as a "screaming horse's ass." The suit was settled out of court.

In the movie Bonnie is gorgeous throughout; in real life she became a cripple due to Clyde's driving. A car accident left one of her legs burned to the bone. She was never taken to a hospital; Clyde simply got things from drugstores to help her ruined limb. Ever after she was unable to walk; instead she hopped. Or Clyde carried her. No, it definitely wouldn't do to have a romantic heroine hopping around on a mangled, burned leg.

The Frank Hammer plot was totally made up. He never laid eyes on Bonnie and Clyde until the ambush that killed them.

C. W. Moss was a composite of several members of the Barrow gang.

by Anonymousreply 30February 17, 2017 11:45 PM

Blanche Barrow....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 17, 2017 11:57 PM

Oh please. Faye Dunaway still looks terrific. A true icon who deserves a comeback. Why everyone isn't lining up to work with her is a mystery. So she's difficult! She's worked with the some of the best the industry has to offer. If Polanski, Lumet and Penn tolerated her, the medium talent today certainly can. There was a time when there was prestige in having an icon of her status work on a movie.

by Anonymousreply 32February 18, 2017 12:08 AM

She was big in Cannes!

by Anonymousreply 33February 18, 2017 12:12 AM

[R32] - Phoebe, go back to Erasmus High and your little Faye Dunaway Fan Club.

by Anonymousreply 34February 18, 2017 12:13 AM

Faye won't show up. Certainly everyone realizes this.

by Anonymousreply 35February 18, 2017 12:21 AM

Faye Dunaway had a small role in a recent B horror movie called "The Bye Bye Man". She must have needed the money or really needed to act again. It's the type of movie that most actors would have avoided like the plague.

by Anonymousreply 36February 18, 2017 12:28 AM

Blanche Barrow was hit in the face with flying glass during one of their getaways. The glass lodged in her eye; Clyde, as always, never sought medical attention for it, nor for his brother Buck, who got shot in the head. Whenever anybody got hurt the only help they got was drug store remedies. To help Buck hydrogen peroxide was poured into his wound. Blanche, after being captured, got medical attention but she was blinded in the injured eye for the rest of her life.

by Anonymousreply 37February 18, 2017 12:41 AM

oweeeee....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 18, 2017 12:50 AM

I don't want to see that once beautiful young movie couple the way they look now. That is too depressing.

by Anonymousreply 39February 18, 2017 12:56 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 18, 2017 12:57 AM

(((0

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 18, 2017 1:14 AM

When did Faye stop looking completely Caucasian is what I would like to know.

Sometime around the millennium?

by Anonymousreply 42February 18, 2017 3:33 AM

Bonnie Parker was indeed a very attractive woman. Very tiny. Her mother would not allow her and Clyde to be buried together.

by Anonymousreply 43February 18, 2017 3:39 AM

Ouch! Maybe it's true about getting the face you deserve. I've seen SnoCones with more character :(

by Anonymousreply 44February 18, 2017 3:43 AM

I only saw Bonnie and Clyde once as at teen on the late show. I think most of it was edited. Did Estelle Parsons deserve the Oscar? How was she.

by Anonymousreply 45February 18, 2017 5:13 AM

Even with the injured eye the real blanch was much better looking than Estelle Parsons.

So sad about the burial.

Some day they'll go down together

they'll bury them side by side.

To few it'll be grief,

to the law a relief

but it's death for Bonnie and Clyde.

By Bonnie Parker

See link for the entire poem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 18, 2017 11:11 PM

Bonnie's tombstone contains this awful bit of doggerel:

"As the flowers are all made sweeter by the sunshine and the dew, so this old world is made brighter by the likes of folks like you."

Clyde's reads simply:

"Gone but not forgotten."

by Anonymousreply 47February 18, 2017 11:20 PM

Sad, her mother should have carried out her last wishes. I mean what kind of bitch mother would do that and then write such corny shit on her headstone. Her daughter was willing to die with this guy and she couldn't let her be buried with him. At least Clyde's made sense and turned out to be true.

After I saw the movie for the first time when I was a kid I named my two pet turtles after them. Like most of the characters in the Godfather, the audience rooted for these two, killers or not. When I saw the Godfather the biggest applause and cheers that came from the audience was the scene when Michael shoots his enemies in the restaurant and walks out dropping the gun. To most he was a hero as were Bonnie and Clyde. People really hated the sheriff character who killed them. That was a weird bit of human nature to figure out as a kid from these two films, why these people who are supposed to be bad guys were thought of as heroes. I mean my emotions were the same as the other audience members. I too hated the sheriff and cheered for Michael but it was instinct. Only later did I question why.

by Anonymousreply 48February 19, 2017 1:10 AM

Blanche wrote a book about her days with Bonnie and Clyde

by Anonymousreply 49February 19, 2017 1:23 AM

R27 and all - you've overlooked Faye's NUMEROUS nose jobs.

As for Bob Fosse, EWWWWWW!

by Anonymousreply 50February 19, 2017 1:39 AM

I thought R40 was Joni Mitchell!

by Anonymousreply 51February 19, 2017 1:42 AM

"The cue cards are too GODDAMN LOW!"

by Anonymousreply 52February 19, 2017 1:54 AM

[quote]Why everyone isn't lining up to work with her is a mystery.

What utter bullshit. It's well known why people don't line up to work with that cunt.

by Anonymousreply 53February 19, 2017 1:58 AM

[R51] - It's the overbite and the cheekbones....oh, and the hair.

by Anonymousreply 54February 19, 2017 2:01 AM

Yeah, I think it's kind of too late for this. I really do hate to say it.

25 years ago, Paul Newman (67) and Elizabeth Taylor (60) presented for Best Picture. They both still looked great, and were still vital, in the public eye, and in Newman's case were still making movies. And, as they comment, they both "still looked pretty good".

I constantly see Faye running around West Hollywood, alone. Never with a boyfriend, or friend. It's very sad to see and she often looks like a bag lady. Warren, God love him, has essentially retired, other than that poorly received Howard Hughes movie. (I did, about 20 years ago, see him at Banskin Robbins in Beverly Hills with his kids. As is often the case with these people he is slighter than I expected). This seems much sadder than Newman/Taylor in '92.

This is the perfect occasion for Yogi Berra's famous quote "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 19, 2017 2:21 AM

I remember reading a book sometime after the film came out, maybe when I was in high school, that was comprised of a lot of memories by Clyde's sister and one of Bonnie's relatives, but I don't remember which one. It was quite interesting with a lot of little tidbits of information, like when Bonnie died she was still legally married to the guy she wed as a teenager before she met Clyde. Another interesting bit I recall was that one of CLyde's sisters had her hair salon in the same building where the Texas Rangers had their headquarters and they never knew until after he died that she was Clyde's sister and that she was meeting up with him and Bonnie regularly when the couple would drive through Texas on their travels.

by Anonymousreply 56February 19, 2017 3:44 AM

R55, Warren is 6'2" unless he shrunk. Are you the same person who once described 5'8" Julie Andrews as tiny?

by Anonymousreply 57February 19, 2017 1:26 PM

And now shows such as "Game of Thrones" outdoes the depiction of violence, bloodshed, and death a million-fold. Not for the better, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 58February 19, 2017 2:31 PM

R57 that's really funny. No, I'm not the Julie Andrews is short troll.

I'm 6'5. I guess I was wrong about Warren. Maybe it really is just that I was so used to seeing him "larger than life" on that big screen that it seemed that way!

by Anonymousreply 59February 19, 2017 2:36 PM

Hair and makeup in B&C are too distractingly 1960s, instead of 1930s.

Also the blood capsules at the end are shooting out fake blood that's too red and thin.

It all seems very tame after 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 60February 19, 2017 2:56 PM

r60 that's because it was about the 60s not the 30s.

Bryan Burrough's book about that time, Public Enemies, is excellent. The movie they made from it was absolute shite, though.

by Anonymousreply 61February 20, 2017 2:03 AM

R50 has some technical observations down I guess. Bonnie and Clyde is not a horror film or even a thriller. I wasn't even born when this film was made. It has energy and cruelty and lethargy and crickets with a bit of slapstick. So much that I don't care that I laughed at Blanches biographer here. She is not a joke in Bonnie and Clyde - she is a tight wise screaming bitch. I haven't seen how thin the blood is for some years. I remember the silence with air in the tall grass, staccato arguments and bullets, the dead weight of stupidity. The movie is not just the end scene - it has a more modern pace and rhythm than we appreciate now - it lingers on words and looks and dry scenery. The caught silence of animals. Pause mixed with staccato - the fast look exchanged between Dunaway and Beatty before the exquisitely edited downbeat of bullets. Its a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 62February 20, 2017 2:21 AM

*r60, not 50.

by Anonymousreply 63February 20, 2017 2:27 AM

The Bonnie and Clyde death car came to my home town when I was a kid. They had it in a tent with big carnival sideshow banners out front, and we lined up like the yokels we were to go in and see it. It was there for 2 days, and there was a line the whole time.

Later I read that there are several Bonnie and Clyde death cars in museums and private collections, so who knows if I saw the real one or just some old car they dragged out of a field somewhere and shot full of bullets.

by Anonymousreply 64February 20, 2017 2:30 AM

"She is not a joke in Bonnie and Clyde - she is a tight wise screaming bitch. "

What utter bullshit. The Blanche in "Bonnie and Clyde" was homely as a horse and a shrieking idiot, running around in the movie going "AAAAAAIIIIIIIIEEEE!" She was a joke, alright.

by Anonymousreply 65February 20, 2017 2:42 AM

You might be right R65. You have demonstrated your historical knowledge and unnatural connection to Blanche in your previous posts. I stand by my statement. I love a good movie about doomed lovers and vague anarchists. You can feel bad for the dumb accomplice with glass in her eye. Gene Hackman was her daddy.

One of the best things about Bonnie and Clyde is that it is not really a romance in any way. It has a dry swoon of wheat romance but there is only blood loyalty, loneliness, vague anarchy, fashionable sex & circumstance that keeps them together. Blanche and Buck are more connected as a couple and she is presented as just a bit smarter than Gene Hackman. Someone gotta scream. Blanche is presented as alive, hysterical and aware of her circumstance. She is a tight wise screaming bitch.

I said it again.

I kind of like my post here and at R62. Sorry to upset you Mister Blanche.

by Anonymousreply 66February 20, 2017 3:11 AM

And next year will mark the 25th anniversary of that Kusturica movie she was so brilliant in, that was the hit of all the Europe and Cannes (but not well sold in this country).

by Anonymousreply 67February 20, 2017 11:28 AM

Barbara Parkins as the sole survivor of The Valley of the Dolls celebrating its 50th anniversary should give out Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 68February 20, 2017 11:47 AM

Warr en cruised us in a restaurant about 18 years ago. We passed.

by Anonymousreply 69February 20, 2017 12:04 PM

Clyde was thought to be homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 70February 20, 2017 2:44 PM

"Sorry to upset you Mister Blanche."

You didn't upset me, sweetie. I was simply commenting on your bizarre notion (actually your whole interpretation of BAC is bizarre) that Blanche Barrow, as portrayed by Estelle Parson, is a "tight wise screaming bitch", whatever that is. And if anyone has an "unnatural connection" to Blanche, it's you. You seem to have a strange admiration for that movie character, which is weird. Could it be that Estelle Parson's Blanche gives you a hard on? Yes, I think that may be it. How gross.

by Anonymousreply 71February 20, 2017 5:26 PM

Dammit, I jest bought this dress!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72February 20, 2017 5:39 PM

Y'all are free to feel however you want to about my characterization.....shmucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 20, 2017 5:47 PM

Bonnie and Clyde is a classic worthy of being celebrated.

Sadly, Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty will look like melted waxworks when they appear on HD television.

by Anonymousreply 74February 20, 2017 6:33 PM

Another relevant couple to present Best Picture this year would be Sidney Poitier and Katharine Houghton. 1967 was a banner year for Sidney, with three hit films, In the Heat of the Night, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? and To Sir, with Love. Miss Houghton's presence would give the Academy one more chance to honor Kate.

by Anonymousreply 75February 20, 2017 6:57 PM

I think they hinted at Clyde being gay in the movie. Remember when he can't have sex with Bonnie she says something like...your advertising's just dandy. Folks would never guess you don't have a thing to sell.

by Anonymousreply 76February 20, 2017 7:41 PM

Clyde's impotency is a big theme in the movie. Not sure if it was to suggest he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 77February 20, 2017 7:45 PM

[quote]Barbara Parkins as the sole survivor of The Valley of the Dolls celebrating its 50th anniversary should give out Best Picture.

R68. Barbara Parkins could certainly be a presenter at the Oscars acknowledging the 50th anniversary of Valley of the Dolls, but not for Best Picture. Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty have a much more extensive body of work making them far more worthy to present Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 78February 20, 2017 7:49 PM

R70 he wasn't. That rumor was started because he had been raped in prison by a big guy named Ed Crowder. Clyde eventually bludgeoned him to death. Later, John Toland's 1963 book THE DILLINGER DAYS reignited this rumor, though many of the things in the book have now been debunked.

But Clyde had three serious girlfriends before Bonnie, He dated Eleanor B. Williams when they were 16. One time, they got into a heated argument, and Eleanor left Dallas to stay with some relatives in East Texas. Clyde followed her in a rented car, and he kept the car too long and was subsequently arrested. It was his first mugshot. Clyde also got a tattoo of her initials "EBW" and made her a hand mirror when he worked at a glass & mirror company.

Clyde also had another girlfriend, Anne, but little is known about her, other than that Clyde also got her name tattooed on his person.

A year before he met Bonnie, when he was 19, his girlfriend was named Grace Donegan. He also had her first name tattooed on his arm. Like Bonnie, Grace was also a divorcee and 3 years older than Clyde. In the summer of 1929, the couple told people that they had gotten married and honeymooned in Mexico. Clyde sent his mother a postcard with the following inscription:

"Hello Mother, just fine. We are in old Mexico, drunk as hell. Will see you in about 3 weeks - Clyde & Grace Addressed to Mrs. H.B. Barrow R6, West Dallas, Texas"

Grace turned out to be bad news, because she was a morphine addict and became a willing informer against Clyde. She eventually returned to her estranged husband.

Then, a few months later, in January 1930, Clyde met Bonnie. He was two months shy of his 20th birthday; she had just turned 19 in October. A few weeks later, he was arrested at her house, but Clyde convinced Bonnie to smuggle him a pistol. The escape plan worked, but he was recaptured just days later. That's when he was sent to the notorious Eastham Prison Farm, where he was beaten regularly and eventually raped.

Clyde's two-year prison stint and later Bonnie's own two months jail stint notwithstanding, the couple were inseparable from the get-go. They often risked their lives and freedom for each other. When Buck and Blanche were captured, it was because Clyde chose to save Bonnie, whose injured leg prevented her from running so she had to be carried, rather than his own brother, who had been shot in the head.

Clyde's Mexican postcard to his mom:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79February 20, 2017 7:58 PM

[quote] Estelle Parsons won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of Blanche Barrow

It's too bad everyone didn't realize she'd be giving the exact same performance for the next 50 years. The award could have gone to someone who deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 80February 20, 2017 8:00 PM

If they did want to hint Clyde was gay I think that might have been as close to it as they could hint in those days, maybe not I mean didn't The Boys in the Band come into theaters around the same time? No doubt he was in love with Bonnie. Maybe Clyde just had mechanical problems so to speak. I knew a guy who could get an erection but couldn't cum, not even with a BJ. Now he was in a very severe car accident when he was 16 or 17 and even lost an eye in the accident. Maybe it did something to him there too. I always wondered if guys who can get hard but can't cum get full pleasure out of sex?

by Anonymousreply 81February 20, 2017 8:02 PM

Best supporting actress category in 1967 was really weak. Estelle Parsons was much better a year later in Rachel Rachel, where she played Joanne Woodward's lesbian best friend. And that role was nothing like her role in Bonnie & Clyde.

by Anonymousreply 82February 20, 2017 8:04 PM

R76 he was supposed to be impotent in the film. This is not based in fact, just something the screenwriters made up. Initially, they wanted to make Bonnie, Clyde, and C.W. Moss (who was a composite of gang members W.D. Jones and Henry Methvin) a love triangle. This was based on the writings of the day, which depicted Bonnie as being the sweetheart of both Clyde and Raymond Hamilton, Clyde's childhood friend who was an on-and-off member of the gang. Granted, Hamilton did have the hots for Bonnie, but those feelings were not reciprocated. Bonnie and Clyde were strictly monogamous. In fact, Hamilton initially left the gang over this issue.

Anyway, Arthur Penn talked David Newman and Robert Benton out of the threesome storyline, but they insisted that Bonnie and Clyde needed a hurdle, something that kept them apart, because they couldn't rob and kill and be happy. So they settled on the impotency issue -- and, boy, did they run with it! The movie is filled with sexual imagery. For example, in the beginning when Clyde literally shows Bonnie his gun, he holds it a crotch level, and she slowly caresses it, while the matchstick in his mouth wiggles uncontrollably. Later, Bonnie poses with a cigar in her mouth, a pistol in her hand, while leaning suggestively on a stolen car. All three -- gun, stogie, car -- are phallic symbols, insinuating that Bonnie wants the D desperately. (BTW: The real Bonnie did pose in such a manner.)

In the film, Clyde gets over his impotent issue after Bonnie writes that famous poem about them. Talk about deus ex machina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83February 20, 2017 8:15 PM

R82 perhaps if Anne Bancroft had gone supporting, she would've been a deserving winner. I don't understand how people see her as lead, other than her name and prestige and that she's billed first (but that was because she was more famous at the time). But she's only in the first half of the film; Katharine Ross is in the second half. But Dustin Hoffman, who IMO is the sole lead, is there from beginning to end.

by Anonymousreply 84February 20, 2017 8:19 PM

I don't understand the real Blanche's complaints about her film portrayal ("They made me look like a screaming horse's ass"). In her memoir, she describes herself exactly like how Estelle Parsons portrays her. Perhaps worse. In her own book, she doesn't paint a flattering self-portrait. She's unstable, needy, whiny and defensive of Buck, whom she portrays as nearly a saint, while she lays all the blame on Bonnie and Clyde. She also has herself screaming her head off and running around like a crazy person during the gun battles. Granted, 39-year-old parsons was much too old to portray the 22-year-old Blanche, but Blanche never complained about how she was portrayed, physically.

BTW: Someone upthread said that Blanche sued Warners and settled out of court. This is untrue. Blanche couldn't sue, because she had had given written permission for the filmmakers to use her name in the film. She had also been paid handsomely. Rather, it was Frank Hamer's family who successfully sued Warners.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85February 20, 2017 8:34 PM

This pic was taken in early 2016. I think she looks great for 75 (at the time)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86February 20, 2017 8:34 PM

Love Faye. One of the best actresses of her generation. It'll be great to see her.

by Anonymousreply 87February 20, 2017 8:46 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88February 20, 2017 8:54 PM

R88 LOL!

by Anonymousreply 89February 20, 2017 9:07 PM

For anyone who's interested, last year, American Experience did a very good documentary on them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90February 20, 2017 9:07 PM

[quote]Like Bonnie, Grace was also a divorcee

R79 here. Sorry, I made a mistake. Neither Bonnie nor Grace were divorced when they were with Clyde. They were still married albeit separated from their husbands.

by Anonymousreply 91February 20, 2017 9:13 PM

R10 the film didn't receive a nod for Editing? Wasn't that one of the revolutionary aspects of the film? Just checked the nominees: IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, BEACH RED, THE DIRTY DOZEN, DOCTOR DOLITTLE, GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER. Okay, but the latter two? How in the world?

by Anonymousreply 92February 20, 2017 9:18 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 20, 2017 9:20 PM

Here she is two weeks ago at the Hollywood Reporter party for Oscar nominees, without minimal makeup - if any. Looks good at 76.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94February 20, 2017 10:15 PM

'with minimal makeup' I meant to type

by Anonymousreply 95February 20, 2017 10:16 PM

R80 - Well, given the longevity of her career, she must be doing something right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96February 20, 2017 10:32 PM

Show Faye support. Great ol' broad.

by Anonymousreply 97February 20, 2017 10:39 PM

Maybe Faye should wear a wig? Her hairline seems a bit too far back to me...

by Anonymousreply 98February 20, 2017 10:43 PM

The real Bonnie and Clyde may not have been as statuesque or glamorous as their film counterparts, but I think they were attractive Then again, B&C didn't have costumers and makeup artists at their beck and call, but they made do while they were on the run. Both were very conscious of their image and tried to dress to the nines, when they could afford to.

Bonnie was a strawberry blonde and a flashy dresser who wore makeup at a time when it was still taboo in certain circles. She was a very popular waitress, and the male patrons often flirted with her. She excelled in school and wanted to be a famous actress, singer, or poet.

Glamor shot of Bonnie Parker:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99February 20, 2017 11:27 PM

Clyde was good-looking, too., though in a boyish way. He had thick, wavy hair and hazel eyes, and both he and Bonnie had dimpled smiles. From what I gather, he was a little bit like Lip from US SHAMELESS. Not conventionally handsome, but he had had a confident, cocky, take-charge personality that is irresistible to girls. He was the leader of the Barrow Gang despite his older brother Buck, who'd introduced him to crime, being 7 years older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100February 20, 2017 11:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101February 20, 2017 11:39 PM

At one point, Clyde wanted to join the Navy. He even got a USN tattoo, but was ultimately denied service because of lingering effects caused by a childhood illness where he almost died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 20, 2017 11:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103February 20, 2017 11:42 PM

Forgot to say that's him on the left; the two sailors on the right are unknown.

by Anonymousreply 104February 20, 2017 11:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 20, 2017 11:45 PM

One person that rarely gets discussed is Ted Hinton. He was a young postal worker who had the hots for Bonnie and often frequented her diner. Later, he became deputy sheriff and took part in gunning them down. He was picked to be part of the six-man posse mainly because he could identify both Bonnie and Clyde on sight. He'd also known the Barrows growing up.

Hinton was left out of the '67 film altogether, but is a major character in the 1992 TV movie BONNIE & CLYDE: THE TRUE STORY, which was based on his memoir and where he was portrayed by Doug Savant., as well as the 2013 miniseries BONNIE & CLYDE (played by Austin Hebert), and the 2011 Broadway musical BONNIE & CLYDE, where the Clyde-Bonnie-Ted triangle is a major theme. His son later opened the Bonnie & Clyde Ambush Museum in Gibsland, LA, and just died last December.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106February 20, 2017 11:59 PM

R57 isn't 5'8" rather tall for a woman?

by Anonymousreply 107February 21, 2017 12:17 AM

"She excelled in school and wanted to be a famous actress, singer, or poet."

She had the typical grandiose dreams of an uneducated little hick stuck in a dreary town. She was, as one biographer said, "a temperamental girl with a histrionic bent."

And she "excelled in school?" I guess it didn't take much to excel in the schools she went to. Here's an example of her writing:

"Blue as usual. Not a darn thing to do. Don't know a darn thing."

And this:

"Haven't been anywhere this week. Why don't something happen?"

by Anonymousreply 108February 21, 2017 12:21 AM

This is from a list "14 Things To Know About the Bonnie and Clyde Film:

"The real Blanche Barrow sued Warner Brothers over the way she was depicted in the film. In reality, Barrow was the same age as Bonnie Parker, arguably better looking than her, she was not a preacher’s daughter and had married Buck knowing full well that he was an escaped prisoner and twice divorced."

And this:

" One of Arthur Penn’s intentions was to make the character of Blanche as hysterical as possible so that it would make Bonnie look even cooler."

by Anonymousreply 109February 21, 2017 12:28 AM

[quote]She had the typical grandiose dreams of an uneducated little hick stuck in a dreary town. She was, as one biographer said, "a temperamental girl with a histrionic bent."

Yes, Bonnie was not some delicate flower. She was feisty and scrappy despite her small stature. In school, she was known to beat up both boys and girls who crossed her. Later, she and Clyde pistol-whipped the undertaker and his lady friend they kidnapped. She also held guns to the lawmen they captured and took for a joyride. And she could be a bit of a mean girl, making fun of Blanche for being afraid of gunfire and teasing Raymond Hamilton for hiding during a shootout. That said, Bonnie was devoted to her family and loved babies, so she was a bundle of contradictions.

by Anonymousreply 110February 21, 2017 12:32 AM

R107 - Hardly.

by Anonymousreply 111February 21, 2017 12:42 AM

R109 Uh, did you get that from like Mental Floss or something?

[quote]"The real Blanche Barrow sued Warner Brothers over the way she was depicted in the film. In reality, Barrow was the same age as Bonnie Parker, arguably better looking than her, she was not a preacher’s daughter and had married Buck knowing full well that he was an escaped prisoner and twice divorced."

Blanche's father was a lay preacher. And she didn't know at first that Buck was a criminal. They met in November 1929, when Buck was 26 and she 18. Blanche was hiding from her fiftysomething husband, whom her mother had forced her to marry. He beat her often and caused Blanche never to be able to bear children.

Several days after meeting, Buck, Clyde, and another accomplice attempted a burglary but were spotted by police. Buck was shot in the leg and the accomplice was also apprehended; only Clyde got away. Then, in March 1930, Buck escaped from prison and reunited with the now 19-year-old Blanche. It was during this time on the run that she learned not only that he was a criminal but an escaped convict. After being on the run for over a year -- and after acquiring a divorce from her husband -- she and Buck were married in July 1931. Though Blanche had accepted Buck as he was, she wasn't content with the fugitive life, so she and his mother eventually convinced him to turn himself in. Two days after Christmas, he did just that.

Blanche only changed her tune after the movie came out and she saw how ridiculed her character was. When biographer John Neal Phillips interviewed her in the early '80s (when she was in her seventies) she started saying that she knew all about Buck's past and even participated in some robberies with him. It's like she wanted to be thought of as Bonnie Parker.

[quote]" One of Arthur Penn’s intentions was to make the character of Blanche as hysterical as possible so that it would make Bonnie look even cooler."

Did you read her memoir? Blanche portrays herself like how Parsons played her. Even worse, I think. In the movie, Blanche eventually accepts being a member of the gang and only acts hysterically during the first gunfight in Joplin. After that, she's more cool and collected, except after Buck gets shot in the head and she's blinded by flying glass, but that's understandable. In her own book, Blanche is an annoying shrill who doesn't get along with Bonnie or Clyde and constantly nags her husband to leave the duo.

by Anonymousreply 112February 21, 2017 12:53 AM

BTW: Blanche didn't sue Warners, because she had okayed the script and the use of her name prior to filming and was paid. In fact, Warren Beatty personally approached her and she became smitten by him. When not shooting (pun intended, I guess), he would visit her and play her piano, to her delight.

W,D, Jones did try to sue, because he didn't like that the character C.W. Moss was shown betraying Bonnie and Clyde. For most of the film, Moss is Jones; Jones was involved in all three shootouts depicted in the film. After Buck was killed and Blanche captured, Jones left B&C; they later acquired Henry Methvin, after they helped him and others break out of prison in January 1934. It was Methvin's father who made the deal with Hamer and whose truck acted as a decoy. So the Moss character morphs into Methvin after the last shootout and is Methvin for the rest of the film. But Jones' lawsuit was dimsissed, because his name and likeness were not used.

However, Frank Hamer's widow did successfully sue, because the film shows Hamer being abducted, tied up,, and humiliated by Bonnie and Clyde, even though he never met them until he gunned them down. But even that scene is based in fact, because B&C had a penchant for kidnapping lawmen and releasing them unharmed, even tying them to trees. But they never did that to Hamer, and his family didn't like that his main motive for killing them in the movie was because of the humiliation. So they sued and it was settled out of court.

by Anonymousreply 113February 21, 2017 1:07 AM

I seriously doubt that Estelle Parson's protrayal of Blanche Barrow was 100% accurate. Parson's Blanche was WAY over the top. Blanche may have been a nag and screamed and cried during their exploits (who wouldn't?) but I don't think she was anywhere near what Parsons performance made her out to be. Plus Estelle Parsons was ugly and much older than Blanche was at the time. No wonder Blanche was horrified by the way she was depicted in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 114February 21, 2017 2:23 AM

I thought this thread was about Faye and Warren presenting the Oscar, not on the actual Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow.

by Anonymousreply 115February 21, 2017 2:48 AM

I'm psyched for this! I haven't followed the race all season, mainly because I don't care for any of the movies. Usually, there's at least one category I root for, but this year I don't care, for some reason. But now I'm gonna tune in, at least for the BP announcement. "Bonnie and Clyde" is one of my favorite films, and you rarely get to see Faye and Warren together. Last time, I think, was in 2008, when Beatty was given his AFI Lifetime Achievement honor, and Faye presented him with a revised version of Bonnie's poem.

by Anonymousreply 116February 21, 2017 3:18 AM

Found it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117February 21, 2017 3:22 AM

Faye should present costume design with Diana Scarwid

by Anonymousreply 118February 21, 2017 3:38 AM

"I thought this thread was about Faye and Warren presenting the Oscar, not on the actual Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow."

What's there to say about Dunaway and Beatty presenting an award at the Oscars except that it's probably going to be depressing? Everybody is going to compare the way they look now to how they looked in their twenties. Dunaway's face has been obliterated by plastic surgery and Beatty looks like any old guy. It's always sad when old sex symbols present awards. Their loss of youth and gorgeousness is sometimes startling, like it was with Kim Novak. It's jolting to see a former movie idol with all their looks gone.

by Anonymousreply 119February 21, 2017 3:40 AM

[quote]Blanche may have been a nag and screamed and cried during their exploits (who wouldn't?) but I don't think she was anywhere near what Parsons performance made her out to be.

She was to Bonnie, who resented her and Buck's constant presence. She thought Buck was pussy-whipped and not an asset to the gang, and she often got annoyed by Blanche and cussed her out and even threatened to beat her up.

by Anonymousreply 120February 21, 2017 3:45 AM

Gladiator!

by Anonymousreply 121February 21, 2017 3:45 AM

Was "Bonnie and Clyde" the only film Beatty and Dunaway did together? If so, I'm surprised they didn't capitalize on their on-screen chemistry and the huge success of the film.

by Anonymousreply 122February 21, 2017 3:31 PM

[quote] Well, given the longevity of her career, she must be doing something right.

Yes, when you need a screechy old battleaxe, call on Estelle. Hey, you can even put "Academy Award Winner" on the PR materials.

by Anonymousreply 123February 21, 2017 4:47 PM

Estelle Parsons is a great stage actress, first and foremost. She was divine in AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY. Much better than Streep's interpretation, IMO.

BTW: Her grandson is the unky Eben Britton, who played in the NFL for the Jaguars and then the Bears, until fairly recently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124February 21, 2017 5:37 PM

[quote]Dunaway's face has been obliterated by plastic surgery and Beatty looks like any old guy.

They each have foreheads you could screen a film on, so there's that. Otherwise, it's a fair callback to the best of the 60s, no more than a cute blip on the night. They probably won't have many more blips.

by Anonymousreply 125February 21, 2017 6:19 PM

R107, a few years ago someone here bluffed about having meet Julie Andrews, saying she was "tiny." Calling an actor tiny usually works since actors are smaller than we thinks they are... BUT, not in this case. Busted.

by Anonymousreply 126February 21, 2017 10:11 PM

Met instead of meet, think instead of meets. (ipad is playing tricks again)

by Anonymousreply 127February 21, 2017 10:12 PM

R122 Did Faye Dunaway ever work with anybody a second time? Actor or Director? I can't think of any off hand.

by Anonymousreply 128February 21, 2017 10:13 PM

[quote] Did Faye Dunaway ever work with anybody a second time? Actor or Director? I can't think of any off hand.

Mark my words, Kusturica's going to call any. minute. now!

by Anonymousreply 129February 21, 2017 10:18 PM

"Beatty looks like any old guy."

He turns 80 next month.

by Anonymousreply 130February 21, 2017 11:43 PM

Why do people expect stars (especially of yesteryear) to still look in their prime when they're septuagenarian/octogenarian?

by Anonymousreply 131February 21, 2017 11:47 PM

"Why do people expect stars (especially of yesteryear) to still look in their prime when they're septuagenarian/octogenarian?'

Because movie stars aren't supposed to age. They're supposed to stay young and beautiful forever. And they try to do that. They REALLY try not to age. But it never works.

by Anonymousreply 132February 22, 2017 2:42 AM

Bonnie and Clyde changed the way movies were made.

by Anonymousreply 133February 22, 2017 3:03 AM

Good god with that forehead Faye looks like Dooneese, that freaky singing sister with the small hands that Kristen Wig used to play on SNL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134February 22, 2017 3:33 AM

According to a coroner's report, Bonnie was so full of holes, she couldn't be embalmed properly. She started smelling the next day and it just kept getting worse. Her mother fainted from the smell.

by Anonymousreply 135February 22, 2017 4:16 AM

Upthread some jealous cunt wrote 'Dunaway's face has been obliterated by plastic surgery' . Here's a pic of Faye from Dec 3rd 2016 where she looks fine to me. Especially a few weeks before her 76th birthday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136February 22, 2017 8:53 AM

Here's Faye out shopping with her Asian posse just two months ago. Looks great - with no make-up! What was that again, you upthread carwash cunt?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137February 22, 2017 9:00 AM

who are the Asian posse? Her staff?

by Anonymousreply 138February 22, 2017 9:15 AM

[112] Faye worked with Richard Chamberlain five times (if you count Three & Four Musketeers as two movies even though they were filmed at the same time), Johnny Depp three times, director Arthur Penn twice, Jack Nicholson twice (she did voice-over work in the sequel The Two Jakes), Gene Hackman twice, Steve McQueen twice, Jennifer Beales twice, Peter O'Toole twice, Jon Voight twice (Streetcar on stage in L.A. and The Champ film), Diana Scarwid twice (Diana's character even had to introduce Faye's character in A Will of their Own almost 20 years after Mommie Dearest), Ian Somerholder twice, Rue McClanahan twice, Robert Duvall twice, William Holden twice, Peter Falk twice, Joe Montegna twice, Denholm Elliot three times, Malcolm McDowall three times.

by Anonymousreply 139February 22, 2017 9:27 AM

No, that's her gang posse. They rampage through West Hollywood on a weekly basis destroying everything in sight and mocking those they leave behind.

by Anonymousreply 140February 22, 2017 9:30 AM

Oh and Dustin Hoffman twice....I always forget him cuz he's short.

by Anonymousreply 141February 22, 2017 9:49 AM

"Bonnie and Clyde" is my favorite Dunaway performance. She's no natural and unaffected. By the time of "Chinatown and especially "Network," she'd already acquired the 'Faye Dunaway persona' she's never been able to shake off since.

by Anonymousreply 142February 22, 2017 2:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143February 22, 2017 2:04 PM

r137 not the upthread carwash cunt, but she's a cosmetic surgery disaster. Her cheeks look like they don't belong to her face-like a developmentally delayed kid's clay portrait project; a slab here, a slab there.

by Anonymousreply 144February 22, 2017 2:15 PM

Faye looked incredibly chic in "The Thomas Crown Affair".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145February 22, 2017 3:22 PM

[quote]If Polanski, Lumet and Penn tolerated her, the medium talent today certainly can.

Not a Dunaway partisan, but this statement is very true.

by Anonymousreply 146February 22, 2017 3:33 PM

Someone upthread said that Dunaway was a diva on the set of "Bonnie and Clyde." Not exactly true. But, yeah, Faye was unhappy during the shoot. For one, she had just broken off a 6-picture contract with Otto Preminger, with whom she had clashed on the set of "Hurry Sundown," her second film, so she was uncertain about her future. Also, she was put on a starvation diet to achieve a Depression-era look; she lost about 30 pounds. And I'm sure Beatty (producer) and Penn's (director) constant power-struggle fights/squabbles made for an uneasy atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 147February 22, 2017 3:48 PM

They should walk out on stage carrying machine guns, real ones.

by Anonymousreply 148February 22, 2017 4:11 PM

Hasn't anyone besides me noticed her numerous nose jobs?

This is not the original, or even the second one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149February 22, 2017 4:11 PM

How can you notice her nose next to those massive, strangely pristine chompers?

by Anonymousreply 150February 22, 2017 4:13 PM

"driVER I TOLD you to go UP Fifth AVENUE!"

by Anonymousreply 151February 22, 2017 4:21 PM

. "Looks great - with no make-up! What was that again, you upthread carwash cunt?"

That is NOT the face she was born with, you dumb cunt!. That forehead! Those tombstone teeth! Wow, you must really adore her if you think she's looks "great", you silly lovelorn cunt.

by Anonymousreply 152February 22, 2017 4:56 PM

R37 Clyde did get medical help for Bonnie, after the car crash that burned her leg. Per Billie's* (Bonnie's sister) account:

[quote]"The daughter of the man who owned the tourist court was a nurse. She provided a doctor friend of hers and began intensive treatment to get Bonnie's festering leg to heal. Neither the motel owner, his daughter or the doctor knew at the time who we were. Later, however, in a moment of human kindness I shall never forget, the nurse refused from a witness stand to identify me as the woman who had helped Bonnie through this period."

*Clyde had fetched Billie shortly after the accident so that Bonnie could have at least one family member at her side during this dire period. Billie stayed with them about two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 153February 22, 2017 6:01 PM

Billie was incarcerated when B & C were killed.

by Anonymousreply 154February 22, 2017 7:47 PM

Her teeth (whether they're dentures or veneers) are much, much too big for her. They're like something her Bascom, Floridy relations would have got through the Sears Catalogue.

by Anonymousreply 155February 22, 2017 8:44 PM

In Dunaway's memoir "Looking for Gatsby," she mentions how courteous and generous Beatty was to her, despite his not wanting her for the movie, initially. But after all was said and done, there came the question of billing. Naturally, since Beatty was the only big star at the time, conventional wisdom was to have his name alone above the title (e.g. Warren Beatty in 'Bonnie and Clyde'). Hackman, Parsons, Pollard, and even Dunaway were relative newcomers. Dunaway had made B&C before her first two films ("The Happening," "Hurry Sundown"), in which she'd had supporting roles, had even been released. (Those two films and B&C would all be released in 1967 within months of each other.)

Anyway, Beatty (the producer) decided to give Dunaway top billing alongside him, because he realized that it would look strange and off-balance if only his name appeared, when the film was titled "Bonnie AND Clyde." Nevertheless, Faye was very grateful to him for this kind gesture, and she also relates a story Sharon Stone told her about how Michael Douglas refused to let Stone have top billing alongside him for "Basic Instinct." And when she became the breakout star and all that people talked about the film, he seethed with rage. WTF was Douglas' problem?

by Anonymousreply 156February 22, 2017 9:15 PM

.Clyde did get medical help for Bonnie, after the car crash that burned her leg. Per Billie's* (Bonnie's sister) account:."

He got medical help of a sort for her. But she needed to be in a hospital, and for him that was out of the question. Her leg was burned down to the bone.

by Anonymousreply 157February 22, 2017 9:51 PM

R157 I'm sure Bonnie agreed with his decision. She and Clyde did not like being separated from each other. Apart from the two years he spent in prison (1930-1932) and her own two-month jail stint (1932), they were inseparable in the four years they knew each other (1930-1934). And in the end, she recovered, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 158February 22, 2017 10:49 PM

R155, they're crowns or implants. Dentures look more realistic.

by Anonymousreply 159February 22, 2017 11:06 PM

R126 I don't understand. You think I'm lying about seeing Warren Beatty at Baskin Robbins with his kids? Why on earth would I do that?

I saw him twice. Once there, and once at the Thalberg building on the Sony lot a few years later.

by Anonymousreply 160February 23, 2017 1:06 AM

At the time of her death, Bonnie was sporting a fresh manicure and pedicure with coral polish. It was said she had absolutely beautiful feet.

by Anonymousreply 161February 23, 2017 1:10 AM

Bonnie's body being removed from car, as spectators look on:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162February 23, 2017 1:29 AM

Clyde's body:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163February 23, 2017 1:29 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164February 23, 2017 1:30 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165February 23, 2017 1:30 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166February 23, 2017 1:31 AM

Damn, Bonnie's side of the windshield.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167February 23, 2017 1:33 AM

R163 Clyde's sunglasses can be seen dangling from his ear, below his chin.

by Anonymousreply 168February 23, 2017 1:34 AM

I think Clyde was cute. Those black and white photos, with the dark shadows that often distorted his features, don't do him justice, IMO. Officer Tom Persell, who was kidnapped by them, said Clyde was "a good-looking fella."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169February 23, 2017 3:44 AM

R149 I would say maybe one - it looks a bit more Jacko-ish these days, but from the beginning she always had a very sculpted nose that many try to achieve through surgery.

She should have left it alone; she was blessed with a great nose to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 170February 23, 2017 7:10 AM

And she always wore Jungle Gardenia.

by Anonymousreply 171February 23, 2017 7:54 AM

Question for R139 .... There was a poster awhile back who's a huge fan of Faye and identified himself as tlc. I was very fond of him. Is that you by chance?

by Anonymousreply 172February 23, 2017 5:44 PM

Has anyone seen the photo of dead Clyde's feet with the missing toes?

by Anonymousreply 173February 24, 2017 10:56 PM

[quote]The part in the movie where Clyde gives the old farmer his money back in the bank never happened. Some other bank robber did that, maybe Dillinger. But not Clyde Barrow.

An incident like that did happen. On February 27, 1934, Clyde, Raymond Hamilton, and Henry Methvin (both of whom Bonnie and Clyde had just busted out of prison) robbed the R.P. Henry Bank in Lancaster, Texas. The job went smoothly, and their haul was $4,138 (about $75,000 today). Anyway, before they departed, Clyde returned the $300 (about $5,000 today) that Hamilton had snatched from a customer named Olin Worley. According to Worley, Clyde said "We don't want your money; we just want the bank's." Worley was grateful but didn't exactly consider Clyde heroic. He said, "The shotgun that one pointed at us never wavered. You could tell by looking at him that he would shoot in an instant if he thought it necessary."

by Anonymousreply 174February 24, 2017 11:03 PM

For R173

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175February 24, 2017 11:05 PM

The movie got it right that Clyde often drove in his stockinged feet, because he found it more comfortable, due to his chopped toes. Like in the movie, he was also wearing sunglasses when he was killed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176February 24, 2017 11:07 PM

I didn't say it was the face she was born with. I was disagreeing that she looks horrible because of plastic surgery. I think she looks great for 76. Just my opinion

by Anonymousreply 177February 24, 2017 11:13 PM

Yes, its me [139].. tlc - huge fan of hers.

by Anonymousreply 178February 24, 2017 11:16 PM

Beatty pushing 80. Horrifying. One of my heroes.

Folks forget "Bonnie and Clyde" was released, was a big bomb and then Warren fought to get it re-released; I think Kael played a big part in that too with her rave review. They did and suddenly it was a hit -- no recutting, nothing. Very different days. Think how close most of us came to never having heard of it though. (The only modern day equivalent I can recall is "Precious" which came damn close to a video release had Oprah and Perry not stepped in, supposedly).

by Anonymousreply 179February 24, 2017 11:16 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180February 24, 2017 11:22 PM

"An incident like that did happen. On February 27, 1934, Clyde, Raymond Hamilton, and Henry Methvin (both of whom Bonnie and Clyde had just busted out of prison) robbed the R.P. Henry Bank in Lancaster, Texas. The job went smoothly, and their haul was $4,138 (about $75,000 today). Anyway, before they departed, Clyde returned the $300 (about $5,000 today) that Hamilton had snatched from a customer named Olin Worley. According to Worley, Clyde said "We don't want your money; we just want the bank's." Worley was grateful but didn't exactly consider Clyde heroic. He said, "The shotgun that one pointed at us never wavered. You could tell by looking at him that he would shoot in an instant if he thought it necessary."

This incident was mentioned in "Public Enemies: American's Greatest Crime Wave and the birth of the FBI,1933-1934", by Bryan Burrough, a very good book about all the colorful outlaws of that era:

"Among the dozens of eyewitness accounts of Clyde's behavior, this exchange is unique. If Worley's memory is to be believed (he related the story to the Dallas historian John Neal Phillips in 1984) it is perhaps the only time ever expressed anything approaching an altruistic impulse towards one of his victims. Moreover, Clyde's choice of language is telling: the words he spoke to Worley were precisely the same words newspapers reported Dillinger using six weeks earlier when robbing the First National Bank of East Chicago. The incident, along with his tailored clothing an uncharacteristically polite behavior taht day, suggest that Clyde was adopting Dillinger as a role model. that at the very least he was aware of Dillinger's exploits and was attempting to emulate his successes. It's not a reach to suggest that Clyde craved the adulation Dillinger enjoyed and was altering his behavior in hopes of attracting something similar."

It also says:

"Worley's 1984 version differs from the story he told newspapers fifty years earlier. The day of the robbery he told Dallas reporters he thought it was Hamilton who had returned his money, which he said $3.00, not $27.00."

by Anonymousreply 181February 25, 2017 12:01 AM

Clyde was killed first. The first shot got him in the back of the head. Why did they have to shoot Bonnie? She most likely would have given up. She received more bullets than Clyde.

by Anonymousreply 182February 25, 2017 8:47 PM

The deaths of Bonnie and Clyde are nothing but murder by the establishment. In this country, we have something called due process ("No person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law") found in the 5th and 14th Amendments. The posse acted as judge, jury, and executioner, which goes against the Constitution.

by Anonymousreply 183February 25, 2017 9:25 PM

[quote]Otherwise, it's a fair callback to the best of the 60s, no more than a cute blip on the night. They probably won't have many more blips.

Well, I got that as wrong as a PWC Oscar-night official. The last sentence might though prove more accurate.

by Anonymousreply 184February 27, 2017 6:07 AM

Holy Shit. HISTORIC! Faye reads the wrong Best Picture! (given the wrong envelope).

I thought she looked beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185February 27, 2017 7:19 AM

She looked a freak. Twitter was not kind, posting many pictures of her previous beauty and lamenting not just the passing of time but how monstrous she appears now.

by Anonymousreply 186February 27, 2017 7:42 AM

She didn't look a freak to me. She looked beautiful

Someone has to make a meme of her in Mommie Dearest screaming No Wire Hangers but change the text to LA LA LAND!!

I don't have the app to do it, so c'mon dlers there's a request

by Anonymousreply 187February 27, 2017 9:55 AM

Warren appeared to be holding Faye up as they approached the podium. Their introduction seemed rushed. Why no montage from Bonnie and Clyde and then their appearance?

by Anonymousreply 188February 27, 2017 9:57 AM

God you guys are vultures. Honestly, given how bad she's looked at public events in recent years, I was pleasantly surprised at how lovely Faye looked at the Oscars by comparison. It's a shame she can't pick up any decent work these days. It would be nice to see her get a juicy supporting role in a prestige cable drama.

by Anonymousreply 189February 27, 2017 10:16 AM

Beatty is an ass. He should never have given her the envelope. What would she have thought other than to state the name of the movie?

by Anonymousreply 190February 27, 2017 10:30 AM

He is friggin' 80 years old. Give him a break

by Anonymousreply 191February 27, 2017 4:09 PM

I think she looked fairly good. Not sure if she ever got nose jobs - maybe the change of its looks is because coke abuse? What really killed her beauty were those horrible fake teeth....

The LaLaLand disaster made her big again - let's see what roles she comes up with in the future...

And btw, Carol Channing should have won the best supporting actress Oscar in 1968 for playing Muzzy in Modern Millie!!!!

by Anonymousreply 192March 1, 2017 10:10 AM

[quote]And btw, Carol Channing should have won the best supporting actress Oscar in 1968 for playing Muzzy in Modern Millie!!!!

Seriously? I thought she was awful. Wasn't that nomination considered a joke when it happened?

I'm one of the few who thought Parsons was well-deserved. I mean, her character doesn't just scream throughout. She actually undergoes a metamorphosis. When we first meet Blanche, she's a prudish, respectable housewife,, Then Joplin happens, and she' becomes hysterical, understandably. But after that, she begins to toughen up, even enjoying herself, like when they kidnap the undertaker and his girlfriend. She also starts to be cool-headed during the getaway shootouts/gunbattles, unlike earlier in Joplin. She also takes up smoking and begins donning pants (i.e. jodhpurs). But I think the scene that ultimately sealed her win was her last one, where she's all bandaged up, her eyes covered, and Frank Hamer comes to see her to manipulate her into revealing important information. She was so heartbreaking in that. That was a real masterclass in acting, IMO. But all people remember is that one Joplin shootout.

by Anonymousreply 193March 1, 2017 12:36 PM

If you're interested in the real Blanche Barrow's story, her relatives maintain a website including lots of her personal photos. She only did about five years in prison and remarried. She lived a law abiding life after that. She was very pretty. At the time she was captured, she was so thin she looked anorexic.

According to the stories, her family said she lost a lot of weight rapidly on the road. Reading the descriptions on this site and the site posted above, they often lived out of the car and slept in the car, eating canned cold food so no one saw a fire, even at night. Their pictures were published everywhere and going into town was risking their lives. It must have been a nightmare.

Blanche's version was that they went to see Clyde to try to get him to stop, and when he wouldn't his brother didn't want to leave him. She kept being promised by Buck over and over that they would leave tomorrow, but tomorrow never came.

They were planning to go in the morning when the police caught up to them, but they already knew people in town recognized them and were pointing to the cabins where they were staying as they went to bed at night. So why didn't they leave? Too tired to go any farther? Clyde was calling all the shots and he insisted they stay until morning. Did he want to be caught perhaps?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194March 1, 2017 2:06 PM

I don't think he wanted to be caught. He was probably wore out from living in a car. Nice to sleep in a real bed and take a hot bath.

by Anonymousreply 195March 1, 2017 2:17 PM

But Blanche had gone to town a couple times by then and it was obvious they were recognized. The second time she went into a diner everyone stopped talking in the whole place and looked at her. It was time to go then, but Clyde sent one of the other men to get food at another place after that. Law enforcement must have known where they were all day and still they stayed. Blanche was begging to go and everyone ignored her.

I agree they just wanted to sleep in a bed, but it does seem like they knew what was going to happen, at least Clyde did.

by Anonymousreply 196March 1, 2017 2:21 PM

R196 Blanche was sent out for food and other provisions, while they stayed at the Red Crown Tourist Court in Platte City, MO. It was here that Blanche felt uneasy going out and warned Clyde that people were giving her funny looks. Little did she know that initially it was her get-up that attracted attention. She was wearing tight riding breeches with boots at a time when most women still wore dresses/skirts in public. Since she stood out (apparently that's all Blanche wore during their two days there) and would buy take-out chicken dinners for five (Bonnie, Clyde, Buck, Blanche, W.D.) when they'd only checked in three persons (Buck and W.D. had hidden under blankets in the back seat when they pulled in) started getting people suspicious.

by Anonymousreply 197March 1, 2017 2:43 PM

They had their groceries in Joplin delivered.

by Anonymousreply 198March 1, 2017 2:44 PM

[quote]Their pictures were published everywhere and going into town was risking their lives. It must have been a nightmare.

Bonnie & Clyde's narcissism was their undoing. They bonded because they both wanted to be rich and famous and loved photographing each other in dramatic fashion, sometimes with their guns. There's even a photograph of Clyde smooching Bonnie in a style similar to how matinee idols kissed their leading ladies. In short, they were famewhores, If they'd lived today, they'd be constantly taking selfies and aspiring to be reality TV stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199March 1, 2017 2:50 PM

One of the accounts describes Bonnie and Clyde as being extremely grimy and dirty, with dirty hands and face and clothing, going to a store to get some supplies. Not just dirty, but long-term homeless people grime. Dirty as she was, Bonnie wore lipstick. The witness claims to have seen inside their car and it looked like they were camping and living in the car.

If you think about it, they were basically homeless people living out of their car. No place to take a bath or wash clothes. Can you imagine four or five people living and sleeping in one car, with no access to running water? It must have been miserable.

by Anonymousreply 200March 1, 2017 3:02 PM

[quote]Law enforcement must have known where they were all day and still they stayed.

The tavern at the Red Crown was a popular hangout for local police. Of course, Clyde didn't know this. What had attracted him to the Red Crown was its brick structure -- good protection against bullets. Also, one cabin had a passageway that led directly to the garage. Clyde chose this cabin for himself, Bonnie, and W.D. whom Clyde preferred as a gang member to his own brother; Buck was a bit of a shortbus brother. He and Blanche were shit out of luck in the adjoining one. When they had to flee during the gunfight, Blanche and Buck had to enter the garage from the outside, which exposed them. Hence, his inevitable head wound.

Anyway, when the whispers started about the suspicious group, it didn't fall on the police's deaf ears, since there were many of them there.

by Anonymousreply 201March 1, 2017 3:09 PM

I have a glass creamer that ALLEGEDLY came from my dad's grandmothers small hotel in 3 Rivers ,Texas that was supposedly used by Bonnie and Clyde when they ate there.My dad said his Grandmother knew exactly who they were wich is why she saved their table ware after they left. At one time there were several pieces,but they got dispersed to different family after his grandma died.It was said she kept their table set,and wouldnt let anyone use it.She died in the late 40's and the hotel was torn down shortly after.Ive researched the creamer and it is from the 1920's,but theres no way really to verify the story.Still,its a neat thought.

by Anonymousreply 202March 1, 2017 3:39 PM

R200 they weren't always dirty, just during the times when the law was hot on their trail. That's when they would camp out in the woods and bathe in cold rivers/lakes. Also, they were often down and out after a shootout, because they'd escaped with only the clothes on their backs. So they were practically destitute until they managed to rob another armory, which is how they acquired their powerful weapons.

But when things were calmer and they felt secure in the area, they would eat out in diners, get their clothes professionally washed and dry cleaned, and get their hair done/face shaved at a salon barbershop. They also had admirers who would harbor them. A few years ago, a dollar bill with both Bonnie and Clyde's signatures was sold at auction. They had signed it for the owner of a diner where they ate.

Bonnie also carried a makeup case around, which was found in the death car. As I said, Bonnie and Clyde were narcissists, so they took great pride in their appearance. I'm sure it killed them during the times when they were deprived of hygiene. But they came to accept that as part of their lifestyle as outlaws on the run, something Blanche and Buck never did/could.

by Anonymousreply 203March 1, 2017 3:44 PM

R202 that's a cool story! i hope it's true. Can't you bring the creamer to a historian or one of those Antique Roadshows?

I remember in 2004, PBS had a show called HISTORY DETECTIVES, where people would come in with family heirlooms that were supposedly connected to historical figures/events. It was the show's historians who did the legwork and arrived at a definite conclusion by episode's end. One time, they focused on bullets that allegedly killed Bonnie and Clyde, brought in by some woman. Turns out they weren't, but your story could have a happy ending. haha

by Anonymousreply 204March 1, 2017 3:55 PM

"Not sure if she ever got nose jobs..."

God, give me STRENGTH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205March 1, 2017 4:45 PM

I actually contacted them,R204! But they said since theres no photos or written references like letters,diaries etc,it'd be nigh impossible to prove. All we had was oral history,and 99% of those folks are long gone,including my dad.The only facts are she did own a small hotel,Bonnie and Clyde were known to be in texas,and thats about it. The real corker is my dad said his grandma was uber religious,so why she embraced two murderous outlaws is anybodys guess. It was said that they were very nice to her,complimented her cooking(she was supposed to have been an amazing cook) and tipped well,maybe that was why.

by Anonymousreply 206March 1, 2017 4:46 PM

[quote] Clyde was thought to be homosexual.

LEO and intelligence agencies have long used this as a slur against men who might be considered folk heroes around the world. They spread it around as soon as the men are dead and can't defend themselves against the slur. It used to be the worst thing you could say about a man. "He were a queer and he wore ladies undies."

by Anonymousreply 207March 1, 2017 5:19 PM

R206 flattery will get you anywhere, I suppose.

But Bonnie and Clyde were though to be polite to people who were in return. When they were loaded, they often paid people to assist them. The people (mainly officers) they kidnapped were always released unharmed and with bus fare. After the shootout where Buck was mortally wounded and Blanche was blinded, they hid out in some abandoned park, and Clyde would go into town and pick up takeout dinners, first aid kits, and whatever else. The people who encountered him later said he was a very boyish, polite, quiet young man albeit a bit disheveled. The restaurant would let him take the plates and silverware, which he always returned and for which he paid extra for the privilege.

by Anonymousreply 208March 1, 2017 5:26 PM

R207 the gay rumors came about because Clyde had been raped in prison and the fact that he walked with a limp, due to having chopped off two toes in prison. Plus, he was slight (5'7") and baby-faced. But, yeah, it was used to discredit him, since he'd gained a reputation as a ghostlike, invincible, mastermind killer because of his ability to outrun, outchase, and outshoot police. I believe it was started ironically by J. Edgar Hoover, who also made up the story of Bonnie and Clyde shooting a rookie policeman in the head after they stopped to ask for directions. Incidentally, this scenario was used in the film NATURAL BORN KILLERS, when Mickey & Mallory stop a rookie cop for directions, then blow his head off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209March 1, 2017 5:35 PM

[quote]They were planning to go in the morning when the police caught up to them, but they already knew people in town recognized them and were pointing to the cabins where they were staying as they went to bed at night. So why didn't they leave? Too tired to go any farther? Clyde was calling all the shots and he insisted they stay until morning. Did he want to be caught perhaps?

You're conflating the events of Joplin and Platte City, which were two separate Missouri shootouts. In late March 1933, Buck and Blanche had met up with Bonnie & Clyde and W.D. Jones ostensibly for a vacation in Joplin. They were still there when, on April 13, the cops showed up. Unfortunately for Buck and Blanche, that was the day they were planning to leave and were all packed. A shootout occurred in which Buck participated and killed one of the cops. So much for his full pardon just a month earlier.

Over three months later, in late July, the Barrow Gang rented two cabins at the Red Crown Tourist Court in Platte City. It was here where Blanche was made to run errands and she wore her skintight riding pants. She warned Clyde about the looks she got and the bad feeling she felt, but he thought she was overreacting. That night, the law engaged them in another gun battle, in which Buck was mortally wounded and Blanche blinded in one eye.

by Anonymousreply 210March 1, 2017 11:11 PM

Does anyone think Blanche suffered from Electra complex? By all accounts, she was very close with her father and resented her mother. Granted, her mother married her off at 16 to a fortysomething man, but they had always had a cantankerous relationship, from the get-go. But she adored her father to the point of idol worship. Furthermore, she called Buck "Daddy" and later referred to her third husband Eddie Frasure by that pet name, as well.

by Anonymousreply 211March 1, 2017 11:15 PM

Did anyone ever find Clyde's stash?

by Anonymousreply 212March 2, 2017 9:20 PM

R212 stash of what?

by Anonymousreply 213March 2, 2017 9:37 PM

Money, he buried money idiot!

by Anonymousreply 214March 2, 2017 10:25 PM

Never heard they did. Of course, if someone had they probably would have kept it to themselves.

Blanche Barrow remarried and she and her husband weren't well off. Bonnie and Clyde and Buck Barrow were dead. I guess the other gang members could have told someone where the money was if they knew, but they all did time. Probably the cops watched them closely.

Blanche was on probation for years and she was watched like a hawk for years. They made a point of showing her they were keeping track of her. Long after she remarried a respectable man and there was nothing to fear from her.

by Anonymousreply 215March 3, 2017 4:01 AM

[quote]Blanche was on probation for years and she was watched like a hawk for years. They made a point of showing her they were keeping track of her. Long after she remarried a respectable man and there was nothing to fear from her.

R215 in her memoir, Blanche jokes about that. In their elderly years, after the death of her third husband, she and Bonnie's sister, Billie, became BFFs,, even living next door. One time, in the early '80s, when they were in their early seventies, they were waiting in line at a store, when the woman in front of them asked them to watch her purse. They did, but joked that the woman would probably think twice if she only knew who they were. Blanche thought it was ridiculous that the law kept tabs on her in her old age, especially since she'd never been in trouble with the law again after being released from prison in 1939.

by Anonymousreply 216March 3, 2017 4:24 PM

[quote]Blanche Barrow remarried and she and her husband weren't well off.

I believe she and her third husband, Eddie Frasure, lived comfortably. They met and married within a year of her release from prison. Then Pearl Harbor happened and he joined the navy and served during WWII, while Blanche supported herself during those years as a cafe waitress and taxi dispatcher. When Eddie returned after the war, she quit her jobs to become a full-time housewife, and Eddie got a job as a supervisor at an architectural and engineering firm. They also adopted a son,Rickey, though she became estranged from him in his adulthood. He got in trouble with the law and eventually wound up in jail. He later got his act together and became a respectable citizen, but by then (1980s), Eddie was dead and he and Blanche hadn't spoken/seen each other in years. Too bad Blanche never knew that her son had turned his life around.

by Anonymousreply 217March 3, 2017 4:43 PM

The account I read said Rickey did time in jail and Blanche was a bit afraid of him. Maybe she thought he would get the law back on her if he stayed around her.

by Anonymousreply 218March 4, 2017 4:04 AM

R205 are you trying to prove she did? Because it looks the same to me.

by Anonymousreply 219March 4, 2017 7:25 AM

R190, I go back and forth on this.

Faye wasn't going to settle for NOT seeing the envelope

Sure, Warren could have said 'folks, we have the wrong envelope.'

I think most people would have thought, HOW? It's the last award of the night!

by Anonymousreply 220March 4, 2017 7:29 AM

I think that Warren was befuddled and didn't understand what had happened. How old is he, 80? Maybe he didn't want to say the wrong thing, so he gave it to Faye to see if she had the same conclusion, but she just blurted it out instead of thinking. A younger couple would have caught on sooner I think.

by Anonymousreply 221March 4, 2017 2:48 PM

[quote]A younger couple would have caught on sooner I think.

R221 I don't think so. The PwC accountants are 30-40 years younger, and they're trained to march on stage if the wrong winner is announced, yet they froze backstage. I can only imagine that two people who are on the actual stage in front of thousands of people and on camera before millions of viewers would have as much trouble as Faye and Warren figuring out what to do, especially since it was unprecedented. Their age wasn't a factor.

by Anonymousreply 222March 4, 2017 3:02 PM

Bonnie's underpants were missing at the massacre. Either she was not wearing panties or someone took them as a souvenir

by Anonymousreply 223March 5, 2017 1:33 AM

Bonnie and Clyde....there was nothing remotely interesting or glamorous or sympathetic about them at all. They were a couple of dumb hicks who became criminals and liked to show off. This was said about them and it's entirely correct:

"For the next thirty years Bonnie and Clyde would remain dimly remembered, the province of detective magazines and pulp writers, until a pair of Hollywood screenwriters read of their exploits in John Toland's "Dillinger Days" and created the 1967 movie that led to their rediscovery. Art has done for Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow something they could never achieve in life. It has taken a shark-eyed multiple murderer and his deluded girlfriend and transformed them into sympathetic characters, imbuing them with a cuddly likability they did not possess, and a cultural significance they do not deserve."

by Anonymousreply 224March 5, 2017 2:21 AM

R224 yeah... well... you have a big behind.

by Anonymousreply 225March 5, 2017 5:57 AM

Bonnie's shooting hand (right) was almost blown off in the ambush.

by Anonymousreply 226March 5, 2017 11:05 PM

R226

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227March 6, 2017 5:10 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228March 6, 2017 5:10 PM

Wow, all the stories at R194 are so fascinating. They should make a movie of it.

by Anonymousreply 229March 6, 2017 7:02 PM

R229 is that sarcasm?

by Anonymousreply 230March 6, 2017 9:25 PM

No. I'm just fascinated by it all. It seems to have all the makings of a Hollywood blockbuster: young antiheroes, family, big shootouts.

by Anonymousreply 231March 6, 2017 9:45 PM

Don't know if R229 is being sarcastic, but it is kind of an interesting site. One of the stories of a sighting of Bonnie and Clyde sounds like an old person making it up. They describe Bonnie holding a violin case, which somebody in the 1930s who'd seen a lot of gangster movies might say. They also said there was a blanket with guns poking out from under it in the back seat, which might be true but if it was it was stupid. They did have a blanket in the car, there's a photo of the cops pulling an Indian Pendleton blanket out of the car, I think they used it to cover one of the bodies.

Also the witness said Bonnie just wanted to buy rubbers and cigars, and was smoking a cigar herself.

On the other hand, Bonnie was photographed smoking a cigar, so who knows? It seemed like she was trying to appear to be a tough moll.

I think the real story of Bonnie and Clyde, told today, would be really interesting. A lot of stuff was glamorized or romanticized in the Beatty/Dunaway movie. It's a great movie but telling a more realistic, gritty version would be riveting.

Imagine dirty, cold, hungry people living in the car and camping out, getting shot out of half the places they stopped, traveling on with Bonnie's horribly burnt leg, in agony, drinking to fight the pain, others with various semi serious injuries, afraid to stop as long as they could still travel. During the Depression, going without medical care even in extreme pain wasn't unheard of. But Bonnie's leg was burnt down to the bone. After that Clyde carried her or she had to crawl. She must have lost the muscles in her leg. People don't realize how horrible it was. Bathing in icy streams, no place to wash clothes, having to move on every night. They were even afraid to light a fire. They knew they were going to die.

by Anonymousreply 232March 6, 2017 9:47 PM

The Bonnie and Clyde Broadway musical with Jeremy Jordan and Laura Osnes closed much too soon.

by Anonymousreply 233March 6, 2017 9:51 PM

Bonnie did not smoke cigars. She was clowning around with a cigar in her mouth when that picture was taken.

by Anonymousreply 234March 6, 2017 9:55 PM

[quote]After that Clyde carried her or she had to crawl. She must have lost the muscles in her leg.

She could still walk albeit with a limp (think Laura in THE GLASS MENAGERIE), but she couldn't run, which is essential if you're a fugitive, so Clyde had to carry her during the getaways, post-accident.

by Anonymousreply 235March 6, 2017 10:09 PM

R234 I always found it amusing that Bonnie was incensed at being called a 'cigar-smoker' but didn't seem to care about being labeled a 'killer' or 'gun moll.' Heck, her main complaint about her famous photo was the cigar, not that she was also holding a revolver and posing provocatively atop a stolen Ford. It's very telling that when they released that last cop they kidnapped, he asked them if there was anything they would like to tell the world. Bonnie's only response was, "Tell them I don't smoke cigars!"

by Anonymousreply 236March 6, 2017 10:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237March 6, 2017 11:43 PM

So do you think the "memory" of meeting her was a tall tale? Or do you think she was buying cigars for Clyde and the shopkeeper assumed they were for her?

by Anonymousreply 238March 7, 2017 12:00 AM

Do you think she gave Clyde head?

by Anonymousreply 239March 7, 2017 12:05 AM

Did women do oral in the early 1930's?

by Anonymousreply 240March 10, 2017 12:36 AM

Prostitites were doing oral back in the 1800's. They called it a "French." Were regular women doing it in the 1930s? Maybe, as a form of birth control. Not everybody had money for condoms or anything else.

My grandfather had a vasectomy in the 1930s, because they were dirt poor and didn't want more kids. That must have been a bigger deal, technically, then, than it is now. But he would rather have the operation than grandmother, because she would have to recover longer and be unable to work, and they couldn't spare her that long, he said.

by Anonymousreply 241March 10, 2017 12:42 AM

This might interest you, R240, it's about a "Gentleman's Guide" of houses of prostitution in the late 19th century.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242March 10, 2017 12:51 AM

Here's a scan of the actual article:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243March 10, 2017 12:52 AM

"Did women do oral in the early 1930's?"

This one did . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244March 10, 2017 1:40 AM

Incidentally, what do people think of biographer Jeff Guinn's allegations that Bonnie was a part-time prostitute during the years Clyde was in prison and she was between jobs? Bonnie did write a poem about a prostitute (told from the first person perspective) titled "The Street Girl," but her living relatives angrily claim she was never a lady of the night.

by Anonymousreply 245March 10, 2017 1:41 AM

R241 first of all, I didn't know they had that procedure back in the '30s. Secondly, your grandparents had quite the active sex life.! I mean, your grandfather would rather undergo an invasive surgical procedure than to abstain or wear a condom. Good for them, I say.

by Anonymousreply 246March 10, 2017 2:19 AM

B&C were killers. I don't how you all can even give them one thought.

by Anonymousreply 247March 10, 2017 2:19 AM

R246, Yes, it surprised me too, but that's what I was told. They had a lot of financial problems during the depression and really struggled. They were also extremely practical and frugal, so that was probably why.

Grandpa was away from home from about the summer of 1941 until 1945 as a Japanese POW. So it couldn't have been then. I think my grandmother must have been around forty by the time he came back.

In those days it was a big deal for even married people to be sterilized, I think they had to have permission of their spouse, and probably some living children too. They already had several.

by Anonymousreply 248March 10, 2017 2:54 AM

R245, a lot of women were prostitutes out of necessity during the Depression that ordinarily wouldn't have been. If she was, she wouldn't have told her family, there was too much shame attached. So it's unlikely they would know.

It's hard to say whether that story was true, but she married very young and her husband was in prison when she met Clyde. So she probably faced financial hardship. Maybe she just did it until she got on her feet, she ended up being a waitress. When she died, her husband said he hadn't seen her in years. He was still in prison.

by Anonymousreply 249March 10, 2017 3:02 AM

"The Street Girl"

You don't want to marry me honey, Though just to hear you ask me is sweet; If you did you'd regret it tomorrow For I'm only a girl of the street. Time was when I'd gladly have listened, Before I was tainted with shame, But it wouldn't be fair to you honey; Men laugh when they mention my name.

Back there on the farm in Nebraska, I might have said yes to you then, But I thought the world was a playground; Just teeming with Santa Claus men. So I left the old home for the city, To play in its mad, dirty whirl, Never knowing how little of pity, It holds for a slip of a girl.

You think I'm still good-looking honey! But no I am faded and spent, Even Helen of Troy would look seedy, If she followed the pace I went. But that day I came in from the country, With my hair down my back in a curl; Through the length and the breadth of the city, There was never a prettier girl.

I soon got a job in the chorus, With nothing but looks and a form, I had a new man every evening, And my kisses were thrilling and warm. I might have sold them for a fortune, To some old sugar daddy with dough, But youth called to youth for its lover, There was plenty that I didn't know.

Then I fell for the "line" of a "junker", A slim devotee of hop, And those dreams in the juice of a poppy; Had got me before I could stop. But I didn't care while he loved me, Just to lie in his arms was a delight, But his ardour grew cold and he left me; In a Chinatown "hop-joint" one night.

Well I didn't care then what happened, A Chink took me under his wing, And down there in a hovel of hell -- I laboured for Hop and Ah-Sing Oh no I'm no longer a "Junker", The police came and got me one day, And I took the one cure that is certain, That island out there in the bay.

Don't spring that old gag of reforming, A girl hardly ever goes back, Too many are eager and waiting; To guide her feet off of the track. A man can break every commandment And the world will still lend him a hand, Yet a girl that has loved, but un-wisely Is an outcast all over the land.

You see how it is don't you honey, I'd marry you now if I could, I'd go with you back to the country, But I know it won't do any good, For I'm only a poor branded woman And I can't get away from the past. Good-bye and God bless you for asking But I'll stick out now till the last.

by Anonymousreply 250March 10, 2017 8:41 PM

Jesus!! That woman could write!

by Anonymousreply 251March 11, 2017 12:30 AM

I must say, if Clyde walked up to me looking like this? I would let him smash me in the woods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252March 12, 2017 7:37 PM

R252 Clyde is smoking the cigar Bonnie used in that famous photo. He's also holding it when they're embracing/kissing in R199. Those Joplin photos were taken at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 253March 12, 2017 8:35 PM

incidentally, how come the film's success didn't give rise to a slew of babies named Bonnie or Clyde?

For instance, the name Madison only became popular as a girl's first name after it appeared in the 1984 film "Splash" and the movie was a big success. Likewise, the popularity of THE NOTEBOOK begat many Noahs and Allies.

So, why didn't the same thing happen with Bonnie and Clyde? Those names are still obscure, though Bonnie is a more common name than Clyde.

by Anonymousreply 254March 14, 2017 9:57 PM

I missed the Oscars. How did it go?

by Anonymousreply 255March 14, 2017 10:13 PM

[quote][Bonnie] was, as one biographer said, "a temperamental girl with a histrionic bent."

What does that mean?

And R108, I believe those were her diary entries. Most people are not so formal with their journals. Similarly, modern youngsters may use text speak with their friends or on their own, but for schoolwork and more important matters, they would write more formal. Bonnie's poems indicate that she knew about proper spelling (unless she was using slang), grammar, and sentence structure.

by Anonymousreply 256April 14, 2017 9:27 PM

"What does that mean?'

It meant she had outbursts of temper and anger and romanticized her dreadful situation by immortalizing it in photographs (a dumb thing to do for several reasons) and crummy attempts at "poetry." She was nothing but a hick who thought she was "better" than what she was. But she was part of a gang of murderous criminals who killed at least 11 people. She was trash.

I don't think that even in diaries she would have wanted to appear dumb, but that's the impression one gets from her writings. She was a dumb hick. Nothing learned or intelligent about her at all.

by Anonymousreply 257April 15, 2017 12:17 AM

R257 what was stupid about the photographs?

IMO, her poetry was pretty decent, particularly the tragic one about the prostitute that someone upthread posted. What's wrong with it?

by Anonymousreply 258April 15, 2017 12:51 AM

"What was stupid about the photographs?'

They were adults, posing with guns, playing at being gangsters. Very juvenile and stupid. And have you seen the one where Bonnie has a cigar hanging out of her mouth? She looked like an idiot. By the way, she was incensed that people thought she REALLY smoked cigars. She poses with one in her mouth and it didn't occur to her that people might actually think she smoked them? God, she was so dumb.

If you think Bonnie Parker's "poetry" was "pretty decent" then you obviously know nothing about poetry. She wrote was is called "doggerel." Since you don't know what that means I'll tell you: it means "verse or words that are badly written or expressed." I take it you're a fan of hers. Since she was a thief and a murderer, I think that's pretty sick.

by Anonymousreply 259April 15, 2017 1:49 AM

I think she looks pretty bad-ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260April 15, 2017 2:52 AM

He looks like he could be her father.

by Anonymousreply 261April 23, 2018 2:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!