Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Memories of "Oh, Calcutta!"

Did it make you feel dirty?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 13, 2021 12:28 PM

1971, but it took another forty years before people were comfortable with nudity onstage.

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2017 4:02 AM

How did this run so long? The skits were terrible except for "Jack and Jill".

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2017 4:08 AM

Bill Macy from "Maude" is in "Oh, Calcutta!" He is the gentleman on the far left.

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2017 4:13 AM

[quote]1971, but it took another forty years before people were comfortable with nudity onstage.

When did that moment happen do you think?

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2017 4:14 AM

All the men were Jewish. Not a foreskin in sight.

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2017 4:16 AM

So I take it one of those pesky millennials started this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2017 4:23 AM

The guy in the Mickey Mouse t shirt is handsome. Does anyone know who he is?

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2017 4:23 AM

Saw it when I was 14 with my parents, I was very confused.

by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2017 4:27 AM

R8 Why would your parents take you to that?

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2017 4:30 AM

[quote]All the men were Jewish. Not a foreskin in sight.

No one had a foreskin then in America.

by Anonymousreply 10February 17, 2017 4:41 AM

There was a sign on W. 46th Street advertising this show up until about 5 years ago. It was so high I guess nobody bothered to take it down.

by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2017 6:30 AM

"Sketches were written by, amongst others, Nobel prize winner Samuel Beckett, John Lennon, Sam Shepard, Leonard Melfi, Edna O'Brien, Jules Feiffer, and Tynan himself, and featured the cast naked."

I forgot that Beckett's "Breath" was written as the prologue, and then he withdrew it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2017 6:40 AM

The original cast included Alan Rachins from "La law" and "Dharma & Greg," and Bill Macy from "Maude."

by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2017 6:41 AM

My father and mother went to see it. Years later I asked her if she thought it was sexy at the time, and she said, "No, that really wasn't the point of it... it was that we middle-class middle-aged people felt so left out by the Baby Boomers and the Sexual Revolution when it started... we wanted to see what it was like." I'm not sure if my dad would have said the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 14February 17, 2017 6:46 AM

It's OH Kolkata now

by Anonymousreply 15February 17, 2017 10:21 AM

[quote]How did this run so long?

1.5 Billion Indians

by Anonymousreply 16February 17, 2017 10:21 AM

Oh Kalkata oh don't you cry for me

I come from Californy with the washbowl on my knee

by Anonymousreply 17February 17, 2017 10:26 AM

It rained all day the day I left

I yelled and screamed tirades

I fuck him raw, a virgin theft

And now he's got the AIDS

Oh Calcutta, oh don't you cry for me

I've given him all my love and an STD

by Anonymousreply 18February 17, 2017 2:42 PM

I saw the San Francisco production. Yes, it turned me on; the guys were better poking than average. Again, the free-wheeling sexual revolution of the 70's gave way to the Thermidorian Reaction of the 80'e and 90's.

by Anonymousreply 19February 17, 2017 3:15 PM

There was talk of Burt Reynolds making the movie, but apparently he chickened out. Who would be ideally cast in it today?

by Anonymousreply 20February 17, 2017 4:17 PM

Only memory I have is of it being mentioned on a sitcom, I'm thinking either There's Company or Too Close for Comfort.

by Anonymousreply 21February 17, 2017 4:31 PM

[quote] Who would be ideally cast in it today?

No one, because it is ridiculously dated and would never get made.

by Anonymousreply 22February 17, 2017 4:35 PM

[quote] "Oh, Calcutta!"

It's "Oh! Calcutta!"

by Anonymousreply 23February 17, 2017 6:00 PM

I wonder why it's never done at dinner theaters ...

by Anonymousreply 24February 17, 2017 6:00 PM

The paperback book had full-frontal photos of the original cast. Alan Rachins (very hairy) and the other guys were hot. Bill Macy looked fine, too - nice bush. They are on the internet if you search.

I saw the long-running revival. Some stupid sketches, but the pas deux had fine choreography, though I didn't care for the music it went with. One of the guys was the standby, and boy was he happy to be performing, and boy, was he beaming! :)

by Anonymousreply 25February 18, 2017 12:29 AM

pas de deux, I meant. One sketch was like a Marx Brothers sketch with a volunteer naked guy being monitored as he had sex with a naked girl and being poked with different doctors and nurses all about. That was kind of funny. Lots of famous writers were involved with this.

by Anonymousreply 26February 18, 2017 12:31 AM

[quote] Lots of famous writers were involved with this.

So I posted upthread.

by Anonymousreply 27February 18, 2017 12:51 AM

and a few famous penises, too! :)

by Anonymousreply 28February 18, 2017 12:59 AM

You get some peeks at Bill Macy's schlong up at the video at the top of the thread. I can say honestly that is someone I never once fantasized about seeing nude.

by Anonymousreply 29February 18, 2017 1:05 AM

[quote]All the men were Jewish. Not a foreskin in sight.

IIRC, there's a line in the show about this -- there's a number where they intersperse some dancing with audience comments that were supposedly heard at early performances -- one of them was something like,

Person 1: "All the men are circumcised-- must be a Jewish show."

Person 2: "Then let's go to Ratner's for dinner."

by Anonymousreply 30February 18, 2017 1:24 AM

No one trimmed back then either. Or, thank heavens, shaved their pubes.

by Anonymousreply 31February 18, 2017 1:41 AM

[copied from what might be a competing new Broadway thread, which might not survive:]

More "Oh! Calcutta" memories please! Anyone know guys who did the show and what they did afterwards? Only ones beside Alan Rachins and Bill Macy I've heard of with interesting resumes were Steven Keats (from "Hester Street") and Eddie Phillips, Jr., who had originated "Who's Got the Pain" opposite Gwen Verdon in the original "Damn Yankees" on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 32February 18, 2017 2:24 AM

Here's the original cast off-Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 18, 2017 2:34 AM

Some of the original cast did the movie version as well.

Bill Macy is 94 and is married to Samantha Harper, who co-starred in the movie version with him.

by Anonymousreply 34February 18, 2017 2:50 AM

The movie is on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 18, 2017 2:54 AM

Here's what I remember reading. Oh Calvitta! is from the French for Oh what a nice ass you have!

by Anonymousreply 36February 18, 2017 5:29 PM

R36 It's from a painting, the title of which is "Oh, quel cul t'as." It's a play on words.

[quote]Towards the end of his life, Clovis Trouille experienced a certain success with his painting Oh! Calcutta! Calcutta! (below) which gave its title to the famous comedy musical that had sex as the main topic. Created in Broadway in 1969 by Kenneth Tynan, it starred Samuel Beckett as one of its librettists and John Lennon among its musicians. In Oh! Calcutta! Calcutta! (The French phrase "oh quel cul t'as" translates roughly as "oh what a lovely backside you have"), "the ass forms a perfect circle designed to suggest the conquest of the moon", Trouille explained.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 18, 2017 5:36 PM

My parents had bought us the Encyclopedia Britannica, and also subscribed to the yearbooks that came out every year. There was a nude photo of George Welbes and some woman, posed in such a way that you could see their butts and chests, but not their genitals. I used that photo for my teen jacking off until I broke the spine on that damn book.

by Anonymousreply 38February 18, 2017 5:58 PM

I still have those Britannica yearbooks. I'm going to look that up!

by Anonymousreply 39February 18, 2017 7:11 PM

So what was the plot?

by Anonymousreply 40February 18, 2017 7:37 PM

I saw it 10 years into its run. Tired, sad and totally unerotic. The only thing I remember is that the only hot guy in the cast had a band-aid on his rather largish dick.

by Anonymousreply 41February 18, 2017 8:27 PM

R40 No plot -- it was a series of unrelated sketches.

by Anonymousreply 42February 19, 2017 6:47 AM

That's it. Thanks R37

by Anonymousreply 43February 19, 2017 6:49 AM

I remember that a DL regular was one of the musical directors for the Broadway revival. I remember him saying that the show was not bad, it was boring.

Also, there was a famous murder/suicide of someone connected with show, I think it was a producer or investor.

by Anonymousreply 44June 2, 2017 9:45 PM

No, OP; but it did make feel ripped off! When contributing sketch writers ask to be removed from Playbill's credits, it's a clue!

by Anonymousreply 45June 2, 2017 9:50 PM

Margo Sappington (part of the Turkey Lurkey trio in Promises Promises) did the choreography.

by Anonymousreply 46June 3, 2017 3:31 AM

Japanese tourists kept the show running. In Japan, nudity on stage was not available. Those horny Japanese businessmen could buy tickets to a Broadway show and see American titties at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 47June 3, 2017 3:25 PM

Oh Calcutta oh don't you cry for me

I know spell the name of it, completely diff'rently

by Anonymousreply 48June 3, 2017 6:05 PM

Richard Monette, who went on to be Hosanna and the artistic director at the Shakespearean festival at Stratford, Ontario, was in the London cast. Does anyone have pictures of them? Or him?

by Anonymousreply 49June 3, 2017 7:25 PM

Trust me. Calcutta was never like that!

by Anonymousreply 50June 3, 2017 10:28 PM

Did they ever have any non-white performers? Someone should've presented the black hole of Calcutta.

by Anonymousreply 51June 4, 2017 1:52 AM

[quote]Did they ever have any non-white performers?

I wonder if casting was according to penis size? I mean, you really wouldn't want any big-dicked men because nobody would pay any attention to the other performers.

by Anonymousreply 52June 4, 2017 1:59 AM

Gawd, I saw that video production. IIRC, it was first broadcast around the country on closed-circuit television. Later, it got some sort of distribution to theaters. It was a mess. Start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 53June 4, 2017 2:24 AM

I had wanted to see this show forever. Then when Kim's Video got the videotape of it, I rented it. What a boring piece of shit. I mean there's not one good song in the whole damn thing. It's not even worth being revived by Encores it's so bad.

by Anonymousreply 54June 4, 2017 2:29 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 55June 13, 2021 12:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!