Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best sheets?

For the first time in my life, I'm ready to buy some sheets with an eye toward quality and comfort rather than price. I'd love some recommendations and some advice on what to look for and what to avoid. Merci beaucoup in advance, tasteful friends.

by Anonymousreply 144October 22, 2018 1:42 AM

Why do want to spend a lot money $$$$ for something that could last you thirty years?

Don't you think your tastes could change in coming years?

There is no secondary market for used expensive sheets.

by Anonymousreply 1February 12, 2017 11:35 PM

You do a thread search here for some good recommendations. We discuss this here practically every other week.

by Anonymousreply 2February 12, 2017 11:39 PM

Any experience with Pottery Barn sheets?

by Anonymousreply 3February 12, 2017 11:40 PM

R1 if you don't spend $$$ they won't last thirty years so your point is moot. Do plain white sheets go out of fashion? No. Even the Klan haven't changed that look since 1932.

by Anonymousreply 4February 12, 2017 11:41 PM

You are a fool, r4

by Anonymousreply 5February 12, 2017 11:45 PM

R4 What good is the fitted sheet when the elastic finally gives out?

by Anonymousreply 6February 12, 2017 11:49 PM

I am looking too. I want great, soft cotton sheets. I tried to fine but having a hard time too.

by Anonymousreply 7February 12, 2017 11:51 PM

I like the sheets sold by The Company Store.

by Anonymousreply 8February 12, 2017 11:53 PM

I have a couple of sets of the sateen organic cotton sheets from West Elm and have been very happy with them.

by Anonymousreply 9February 12, 2017 11:55 PM

Be careful of high thread counts. A lot of companies bundle cheaper, shorter fibres together and then overstate the finished thread count. 'Extra-long-staple cotton' is the most durable fiber that will often have a lower thread count, but be smoother, softer, and more durable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 12, 2017 11:55 PM

Here you go, OP, classic, well-made and not too expensive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 12, 2017 11:55 PM

What's your point r5? You think plain white sheets are a fad or you think cheap sheets last thirty years?

by Anonymousreply 12February 13, 2017 12:07 AM

I hate sheet sets that only give you 2 pillow cases instead of 4. That is so 70s.

by Anonymousreply 13February 13, 2017 12:20 AM

Brooklinen makes wonderfully crisp sheets. They are the perfect sheets for warm weather.

by Anonymousreply 14February 13, 2017 12:36 AM

I like flannel for winter. I found some really nice Ralph Lauren Egyptian Cotton sheets in the 90s - Made in Italy. Don't use them often but when I do it is pure luxury.

The image below can't convey to the eye the soft, near velvety texture of the sheets but gives a sense anyway of the quality of the product.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 13, 2017 1:43 AM

I have a really nice set of sheets from Kohl's (1200 thread count). They are thick, soft and satiny smooth and get better with every wash. Love them.

by Anonymousreply 16February 13, 2017 1:47 AM

R15, you take photos of your sheets?

by Anonymousreply 17February 13, 2017 1:52 AM

R16, by thick you mean HEAVY, right? No one wants that.

by Anonymousreply 18February 13, 2017 1:53 AM

They are thick but not heavy. Very breathable. They are cool in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 19February 13, 2017 1:59 AM

I am imagining the uncomfortable, someone just sharted look on the faces of DL's LA and NYC queens when they read "sheets from Kohls and LL Bean" and that makes me happy

by Anonymousreply 20February 13, 2017 2:05 AM

Everyone thinks they know what a "good" sheet is but what, really, is a "bad" sheet?

Once you get to sleep, do you even care about sheet quality?

Is it color? Or the perceived texture of the fabric? Do you sleep better on certain thread counts?

Silly, no?

by Anonymousreply 21February 13, 2017 2:07 AM

I want Pratesi but i buy Target.

by Anonymousreply 22February 13, 2017 2:09 AM

No, not photos of my sheets, r17. I searched RL website to locate something as close to what I bought in order to post. Words can't always convey the element of beauty and fine quality so I found an image to attach.

They really are incredible sheets.

by Anonymousreply 23February 13, 2017 2:20 AM

Thomas Lee

by Anonymousreply 24February 13, 2017 2:28 AM

Brooklinen percale. Good sheets good price. Limited colors and prints.

by Anonymousreply 25February 13, 2017 2:30 AM

These sheets are incredible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 13, 2017 2:31 AM

Are they guaranteeing they'll last 50 years, I wonder?

by Anonymousreply 27February 13, 2017 2:34 AM

"Reproduced to feel as if it's been lovingly washed for 50 years" - from the details description.

by Anonymousreply 28February 13, 2017 3:33 AM

Sams Club has 600 thread pure linen sheets with fancy things at the top, with 4 pillow cases, about $60. But they are heavy at first, but get lighter after repeated washings. But pure linen for $60? You can buy them online without a membership. I think it costs about 15% more.

by Anonymousreply 29February 13, 2017 3:40 AM

R11 LL Bean sheets have gone downhill in quality during the past 3-4 years. They used to be excellent, as were ones from Land's End.

by Anonymousreply 30February 13, 2017 3:46 AM

I'll second Thomas Lee. They have frequent sales.

by Anonymousreply 31February 13, 2017 3:48 AM

[quote] Once you get to sleep, do you even care about sheet quality?

You do when you wake up in the middle of the night sweating like a pig and your lousy polyester sheets are stuck to you like Saran Wrap.

by Anonymousreply 32February 13, 2017 3:48 AM

The sateen West Elm sheets really are amazing, I'm seconding the recommendation from upthread.

by Anonymousreply 33February 13, 2017 3:52 AM

Avoid microfiber completely. It will make you sweat like a pig.

by Anonymousreply 34February 13, 2017 3:57 AM

Where is Brooklinen made?

by Anonymousreply 35February 13, 2017 4:00 AM

I just bought Home Collection 600-thread count non-sateen white sheets, from Macy's online. Thanks for the tips, fellas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 13, 2017 5:24 AM

OP, go for the highest thread count you can afford. You know that already really.

by Anonymousreply 37February 13, 2017 5:28 AM

Pratesi.

by Anonymousreply 38February 13, 2017 5:32 AM

They can seriously go fuck themselves, R20. I know guys like that who turn their noses up at the VERY THOUGHT of shopping at Banana Republic or buying towels that cost less than 100 bucks for a wash cloth. They'll wear 1000 dollar shoes but have underfunded retirements and maxed out credit cards and still need to be working at 60. You can get a perfectly good night's sleep on plain old sheets from Costco and if that's a deal breaker with some guy you meet, then refer back to my first sentence.

by Anonymousreply 39February 13, 2017 6:08 AM

Company store cotton jersey is so soft and cozy..snugly

by Anonymousreply 40February 13, 2017 6:27 AM

The problem with cheaper sheets is that they pill easily. I find washing sheets in a laundry bag and line-drying minimizes this.

Second request for reviews on Pottery Barn sheets- I have been eyeing their flannel and micro-chamois sheets, which have a lovely hand, but are pricey.

by Anonymousreply 41February 13, 2017 11:18 PM

If OP is in New York wait for the Street Fairs, Egyptian sheets 1,000 threads only $20.

by Anonymousreply 42February 13, 2017 11:29 PM

Is this the sateen sheet set from West Elm that some of you have recommended? They look very nice.

Do they ever go on sale?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 13, 2017 11:40 PM

I have both Frete and Restoration Hardware Italian Percale sheets and the RH sets are my favorites. Very well made, will last for ages and stay cool in the summer. Don't buy into the high thread count marketing, what's more important is the type of weave, the type of cotton and place of manufacture. In my experience, Italian made bedding with long staple Egyptian cotton delivers the highest quality. Portuguese is decent if Italian is out of your budget. Stay away from Chinese or Indian bedding, unless you're looking for terrible quality and sheets that are practically disposable.

by Anonymousreply 44February 14, 2017 3:21 AM

My cousin moved to the US from London, bought target sheets --said they were sandpaper like and returned them

by Anonymousreply 45February 16, 2017 12:43 AM

It is NOT about the thread count. Jeez, people, read up on this. We've had this discussion many times before.

by Anonymousreply 46February 16, 2017 5:19 PM

R6 We could ask the same of you: What good is a bottom when his anal sphincter finally goes.

by Anonymousreply 47February 16, 2017 6:08 PM

I don't do anal like you R47.

by Anonymousreply 48February 16, 2017 6:33 PM

R41, don't buy anything that says micro no matter what. Micro is the new word for polyester. You will sweat like a pig.

by Anonymousreply 49February 16, 2017 6:44 PM

Rubber sheets are handy if there's lots of fluids flying about.

by Anonymousreply 50February 16, 2017 6:48 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 51February 19, 2017 12:47 AM

OP - if you want to throw money at sheets, how much money? If you want really amazing sheets you should get to know a vintage linen seller. There are so many fabulous different weaves that are nearly impossible to find nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 52February 19, 2017 12:56 AM

[quote]Where is Brooklinen made?

Uh, obviously in Brooklin, NY, duhhhhh.

by Anonymousreply 53February 19, 2017 5:05 AM

From The Company Store:

[bold]How are sheets made?[/bold]

There are several factors that go into producing quality sheeting fabrics: fiber, weave, and thread count.

[italic] Fiber[/italic]

What goes into the sheets you're buying? Most of our sheets are made of 100% cotton, though we also offer options with natural linen, a bamboo blend (70% bamboo rayon/30% cotton) and soft touch microfleece.

[italic]Weave[/italic]

How are the threads woven together? Percale is made with a balanced weave, which means the same number of threads across as down. A sateen weave has more threads across than down, which catches the light in such a way as to give it a shine. Percale weaves yield a fabric that's crisp, smooth and durable. Sateen-woven fabrics produce a very soft, lustrous feel.

[italic]Thread Count[/italic]

Thread count is a measure of the coarseness or fineness of fabric. It measures by the number of horizontal and vertical threads per square inch of fabric.

[bold]What is thread count?[/bold]

Thread count, or threads per inch (TPI), is a measure of the coarseness or fineness of fabric. It is measured by counting the number of threads contained in one square inch of fabric or one square centimeter, including both the length (warp) and width (weft) threads. The thread count is the number of threads counted along two sides (up and across) of the square inch, added together.

Thread count is often used as a measure of fabric quality, so that "standard" cotton thread counts are around 150 while good-quality sheets start at 180 and a count of 200 or higher is considered percale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 19, 2017 5:24 AM

Advice from The Company Store:

* Crisp [bold]percale[/bold] sheets have a smooth, cool feel, making them perfect for sleep all year-round. They're also an excellent choice for people who tend to get warm when sleeping.

* [bold]Flannel[/bold] sheets are soft and warm. They're made with a thicker cotton yarn, and the surface is gently brushed, raising tiny chunks of cotton on the fabric surface for a snuggly feel. These elevated pockets contain heat-trapping air, which is why the fabric feels so warm. They're perfect for in cold-weather months, or year-round for those who prefer a cozy feel or sleep in a cooler room.

* [bold]Sateen[/bold] sheets are the closest to feeling like true silk. They're luxurious, smooth and tend to be made with higher thread-count fabrics. The result is an exceptionally soft feel and smooth lustrous finish.

* [bold]Linen[/bold] is a natural fiber derived from the flax plant. Since linen threads aren't as fine as cotton, they provide more space for air to pass through, making them wonderfully breathable (that's why linen is such a popular choice for summer clothes). Linen sheets absorb and wick away moisture.

* Our [bold]bamboo[/bold] sheets are made from a blend of 70% rayon from bamboo/30% cotton. Tough, resilient bamboo is processed into a fine yarn that's exceptionally soft, smooth and durable, as well as naturally breathable and absorbent.

* Unlike cotton percale sheets, which are woven, [bold]cotton jersey[/bold] sheets are knit. Soft, stretchy and relaxed, they have the same comfy, broken-in feel as your favorite vintage t-shirt. The natural stretchiness of the fabric makes it naturally wrinkle-free and easy to care for.

by Anonymousreply 55February 19, 2017 5:30 AM

Bamboo is a good insulator but not something you want in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 56February 19, 2017 9:17 PM

What are the best sheets for hot weather, especially if you're prone to sweating?

by Anonymousreply 57July 14, 2017 9:30 AM

First of all, buy MADE in Portugal, France, Italy or Switzerland. Preferably the latter 2. Then trust the shopkeeper who bothers to stock this. You could certainly buy a pillowcase, and wash it, use it and see if the sheets will be worth the investment as well.

by Anonymousreply 58July 14, 2017 9:36 AM

Porthault bed linens, my dears, perfect for when your husband puts you in a coma.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 14, 2017 9:46 AM

What about those Boll and Branch sheets, advertised on Sirius? I wonder how they feel. A king set costs around $275. They're used by "3 Living Presidents!", you know. That tag line hasn't changed for a couple of years so I guess Trump isn't using them.

by Anonymousreply 60July 14, 2017 9:57 AM

RL sheets-high quality are so crisp Best sheets ever I bought at estate sale: yves delorme

by Anonymousreply 61July 14, 2017 10:34 AM

What are the best sheets if you sweat a lot?

by Anonymousreply 62July 14, 2017 10:54 AM

R62 - bamboo sheets or linen sheets. if cotton, get sateen or percale and not a super high thread count.

by Anonymousreply 63July 14, 2017 4:18 PM

Once you buy nice sheets you'll never be able to host again, OP.

by Anonymousreply 64July 14, 2017 4:25 PM

I'll never understand why people buy super expensive sheets when they're only going to pee, poop and bleed on them.

And then if your dog sleeps on the bed, too.....

by Anonymousreply 65July 14, 2017 4:32 PM

Stay away from Bed Bath and Beyond sheets. They rip.

by Anonymousreply 66July 14, 2017 4:35 PM

OP, whatever you do, don't think of it as "an investment". Sheets aren't gold bars or bitcoins. (Not that you assumed they were. I'm speaking for myself.) They will deteriorate with each wash. I always get sad when I buy quality, and it eventually tears or falls apart. Bleach really does a job at destroying sheets. I did learn that if you get "protein" on them, i.e., bodily fluids, apply detergent to the stain, rub it in, then wash in cold water, NOT hot water.

Enjoy your sheets!

by Anonymousreply 67July 14, 2017 4:39 PM

R65 pees, poops and bleeds in bed. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 68July 14, 2017 4:42 PM

The best sheets I ever owned were made by Ralph Lauren. Their name was Alisa, and they were a jacquard fabric. They had a blowout sale in 1999, and I bought enough to last what turned out to be twelve years. I can't find anything like them now to save my life. I especially liked that they came in a pale green.

I hate sateen. It gives my skin anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 69July 14, 2017 4:43 PM

Veratex makes gorgeous 100% cotton sateen sheets. Wash them in tepid water on delicate cycle with good quality detergent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 14, 2017 4:44 PM

[quote]I'll never understand why people buy super expensive sheets when they're only going to pee, poop and bleed on them.

I don't "only...pee, poop, and bleed" on my sheets.

by Anonymousreply 71July 14, 2017 4:46 PM

If you've never gotten bodily fluids on your sheets, then you're obviously not having sex, which is a bigger problem for you than having old sheets. Just saying....

by Anonymousreply 72July 14, 2017 4:57 PM

I always put my old sheets down on top of my good sheets if I know I'm going out looking for sex that night.

by Anonymousreply 73July 14, 2017 5:02 PM

R72, it's about the word "only" in R65.

by Anonymousreply 74July 14, 2017 5:04 PM

Frette

by Anonymousreply 75July 14, 2017 5:11 PM

This thread reminds me of my personal ideas about towels/washcloths.

When I was growing up, my mother never threw away things that were "still good". She would keep towels/wash rags until there were practically see-through.

I vowed that when I was old enough or had to buy my own towels and wash rag, that I would buy the thickest stuff I could find to reverse the "psychological damages" brought on by years of "see-through" wash rags.

I usually go to the Bloomingdale's Home Store in Chicago. Last time I was there, I paid $94 for two bath towel/wash cloth sets. Not the MOST expensive shit they had, but near the top. The most expensive were Frette towels which were $125 each for the bath towel alone. No need to get freaking crazy about it.

by Anonymousreply 76July 14, 2017 5:26 PM

Not all Frette is the same. I think its a bit over-rated since it became THE (internationally known) luxury linen brand.

by Anonymousreply 77July 14, 2017 5:57 PM

Who makes good, quality bamboo or linen sheets?

by Anonymousreply 78July 14, 2017 5:58 PM

R69, there are some NOS RL Alissa sheets on Ebay. Set up an alert to find the size and colour you want.

by Anonymousreply 79July 14, 2017 8:15 PM

the sheets with Garret Clayton or Bradley Cooper between them.

by Anonymousreply 80July 14, 2017 8:22 PM

Thank you, R79.

by Anonymousreply 81July 14, 2017 8:27 PM

I like linen sheets in summer but flannel the rest of the year (I get cold when I sleep). Either I couldn't find or afford what I really wanted, so I bought a bold of excellent linen and a bolt of organic Portugese flannel, made my own sheets and have lived happily ever after.

by Anonymousreply 82July 14, 2017 8:39 PM

Pillows are an important element. I have 6 on my bed.

by Anonymousreply 83July 14, 2017 8:43 PM

What kind of pillows, R83? I haven't been able to give up goose down, but I keep seeing ads for pillows that make me wonder.

by Anonymousreply 84July 14, 2017 8:45 PM

J.C. Penney latex foam not memory foam

by Anonymousreply 85July 15, 2017 6:03 PM

My pillows are some kind of down and I love them.

by Anonymousreply 86July 15, 2017 6:09 PM

How did you find bolts wide enough? Or did you make a seam? Some of my vintage Austrian and Swiss linen sheets have a seam. The really really thick linen.

by Anonymousreply 87July 15, 2017 6:12 PM

Macy's "Hotel Collection" 100-percent cotton sheets. Coincidentally, the store is currently having a huge sale on said collection. (See link.)

I purchased a set (King) last fall, on sale; was $300, purchased for $110.00 (free shipping). Very high quality.

My selection: Classic white.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 15, 2017 6:30 PM

R87, it isn't wide enough. The width of the fabric is 57" and a queen size bed is 60". I don't want a seam down the middle of the bed, so I add a piece on each side using a flat felled seam to encompass the 1-1/2" inches left over and the sides of the mattress.

by Anonymousreply 89July 15, 2017 6:58 PM

I have some vintage ones with two seams like that. I don't mind the centre seam down the middle on these old sheets, as they are huge sheets. Who knew beds could be so big in the olden times.

by Anonymousreply 90July 15, 2017 7:01 PM

My grandparents (from Switzerland) had a featherbed that was enormous, R90. I would imagine those vintage Austrian and Swiss sheets were made for those big featherbeds.

I've been using a medium-weight linen for both sheets and pillowcases, but I'm wondering if a heavyweight linen might work better. I have thought about doubling the center panel but the heavyweight linen might make more sense.

I love how linen sheets feel in hot weather.

by Anonymousreply 91July 15, 2017 7:10 PM

Dea Linens.

The company is not as well known as Pratesi but it has customers that are the 1% of the1%.

Pratesi, Portault and Dea are the top of the top but I think Dea has the edge on style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 15, 2017 7:20 PM

The sheets on which a hungry bottom lays, with his legs in the air, ready for a ferocious ass pounding.

by Anonymousreply 93July 15, 2017 7:54 PM

The best sheets are freshly washed and clean.

by Anonymousreply 94July 15, 2017 7:57 PM

R20, I love you. Cuntish LA/NY queens think they are better and smarter than anyone in the US. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 95July 15, 2017 8:26 PM

Linoto linen sheets.

by Anonymousreply 96July 15, 2017 8:33 PM

I don't know but make sure they are absorbent!

by Anonymousreply 97July 15, 2017 8:34 PM

Sheets always have ridiculous MSRP's and then stores have "50% off!!" sales on them. I doubt anyone has ever actually paid $300 for those, R88.

by Anonymousreply 98July 15, 2017 8:49 PM

Bitches i just spent $300+ on macy's bedsheets. They better be good!

by Anonymousreply 99July 15, 2017 9:58 PM

I bought Macy's Hotel Collection sheets and I love them.

by Anonymousreply 100July 15, 2017 10:01 PM

OP, don't over-complicate such a simple thing as bedsheets. Buy only pure cotton … 400-count … anything higher-count is just marketing. All textile people will tell you so. Stick to the basics. Use color and pattern and keep all in harmony with your bedroom. Depend upon your personal taste. About every mall store has its own line to stay away from. Look for old-line manufacturers, Fieldcrest, Martex, Cannon. Stay simple. You'll be pleased.

by Anonymousreply 101July 15, 2017 10:43 PM

I tend to get too warm when I sleep, so any sheets that could help me stay cool would be awesome.

by Anonymousreply 102July 16, 2017 1:55 AM

I did like the ones from Landsend, but I feel like the quality has gone down when I got my latest set.

by Anonymousreply 103July 16, 2017 2:09 AM

I'm trying hsn cotton sheets that breath

by Anonymousreply 104July 16, 2017 2:13 AM

I like Macy's Hotel Collection as well.

The sheets they sell at NYC street fairs are crap; most of them are 50/50 cotton/poly.

by Anonymousreply 105July 16, 2017 2:30 AM

As I've stated before ( and yes, you do have permission to snicker and spew your snide remarks) the very best sheets I've ever owed are Walmart's Soft Microfiber Sheets. They feel like silk and wash like a dream, and never wrinkle. Great solid colors and prints. $14.99 for full size, King and Queen size just a few additional dollars. They also sell matching comforters.

by Anonymousreply 106July 16, 2017 2:41 AM

for summer, linen is best, RH makes nice ones

flannel for winter obviously, but there are a lot of shitty ones out there, best to shop where you can feel them, thick and tight are best

by Anonymousreply 107July 16, 2017 2:43 AM

Thick and tight ?

Are you talking about sheets?

by Anonymousreply 108July 16, 2017 2:51 AM

R104 = Kelly Osbourne

by Anonymousreply 109July 16, 2017 9:45 AM

Dear Lord in heaven!

by Anonymousreply 110July 16, 2017 2:40 PM

I only sleep on sheets hand woven by Oscar losers. It's the least I can do to provide some work for these poor unfortunates.

by Anonymousreply 111July 16, 2017 2:43 PM

I take a sleeping pill at night, so I don't give a damn about my sheets. I could be lying on a medieval hair shirt, and once I down my pill, I am out for the night.

by Anonymousreply 112July 16, 2017 2:49 PM

What pill do you take, r112?

by Anonymousreply 113July 16, 2017 3:12 PM

[quote]I purchased a set (King) last fall, on sale; was $300, purchased for $110.00 (free shipping). Very high quality.

Well, on their website that you linked, there are no sets for sale, just individual sheets and pillowcases, and each sheet is $100.

I don't know how you got a whole set for $110?

by Anonymousreply 114July 16, 2017 3:46 PM

Don't get the breathable HSN concierge sheets--they stink and are too rough and the cases don't fit queen pillows

by Anonymousreply 115July 23, 2017 7:27 AM

Porthaud or nothing. They custom embroider one's royal crest.

by Anonymousreply 116December 12, 2017 12:48 AM

I hate sheet sets. Why don't they sell individual sheets anymore? I need a full size fitted sheet but Queen top sheet because the full size ones are so skimpy, even the expensive ones. I also need 4 pillow cases. Why the fuck are pillow cases so damn expensive. Is it because they know most people need to buy two extra so they rip you off?

by Anonymousreply 117December 12, 2017 1:19 AM

Buy the pale blue striped fitted sheet and Glen plaid flat sheet from Brooks Brothers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 21, 2018 3:30 AM

Best shits after ingesting corn, I shit you not.

by Anonymousreply 119October 21, 2018 4:03 AM

[quote] and still need to be working at 60.

Horrors!

by Anonymousreply 120October 21, 2018 4:13 AM

[quote] The company is not as well known as Pratesi but it has customers that are the 1% of the1%.

That's me! My retail products define who I am!

by Anonymousreply 121October 21, 2018 4:18 AM

You're funny, r117. I prefer queen bottom, full top. I hate having too much sheet on top.

by Anonymousreply 122October 21, 2018 7:56 AM

Read labels. The wonderful bed linens you remember from your childhood exist only as ‘NOS vintage’ on eBay now because everyone outsourced manufacturing to China, India, and Pakistan years ago and the decline in quality is shocking.

For sheets I like Matouk (see link) and for blankets Brahms Mount (woven on antique looms in Maine).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123October 21, 2018 8:57 AM

High-quality cottom for Spring, linen for Summer, micro-fleece for Autumn and thick fleece sheets for Winter.

by Anonymousreply 124October 21, 2018 9:48 AM

Sferra Celeste sheets are very good percale sheets. They have a cooling effect like most percale. It's very smooth. The problem is that it comes out of the dryer so wrinkled, it's a mess.

If you like sateen, then the restoration hardware one in r26 is really good. Macy's Hotel used to be great but it changed a few years ago. I couldn't tell the difference between Matouk's $250 sheet (sateen) and Bed Bath & Beyond's wamsutta $70 sheet. Actually, I think I liked BBB's better. The Company Store has some sateen high tc sheets that were too heavy and scratchy. They have good comforters though.

by Anonymousreply 125October 21, 2018 10:05 AM

[quote]The problem is that it comes out of the dryer so wrinkled, it's a mess.

I prefer wrinkled sheets. Hate the "no-iron" chemicals they soak sheets in. HATE.

by Anonymousreply 126October 21, 2018 10:06 AM

PB linen bedding (Belgium, I think) when line dried -total luxury esp 1st couple of nights (crisp, great texture - not too soft ) -get even better over time, long lasting - expensive but any good linen is);just bought some Linoto (100 % linen) sheets - no report yet, but good “hand” and great colors available .- American made. Years ago had a cotton-linen blend (. 60 - 40 maybe?)- can’t remember brand - but was great - always on look for this type but have never found “just right” one again.Sidebar: someone told me that one of Jackie Kennedys’ true indulgences was having freshly laundered, hand pressed Irish linen sheets changed every night - don’ t know if true, but if I had money and service I would spring for it

by Anonymousreply 127October 21, 2018 10:16 AM

[quote]Don't get the breathable HSN concierge sheets--they stink and are too rough

I think you may have accidentally order the HSN Rough Trade sheets

by Anonymousreply 128October 21, 2018 10:39 AM

[quote]Sidebar: someone told me that one of Jackie Kennedys’ true indulgences was having freshly laundered, hand pressed Irish linen sheets changed every night - don’ t know if true, but if I had money and service I would spring for it.

Cant' remember where - but I've heard this too.

In fact, Jackie liked for her sheets to be changed between her afternoon nap and going to bed in the evening.

by Anonymousreply 129October 21, 2018 10:42 AM

I'm fond of 50/50 cotton + modal sheets (woven, not knit).

Modal is a specific type of rayon. My sheets look and feel like cotton, but are cooler & draw perspiration away (rayon is more hygroscopic than water).

Top them off with a weighted blanket (the feel of a big, thick comforter, the warmth of a thin blanket).

If you're still too hot, there's a company that sells a mattress pad with water tubes & a refrigerated pump & chiller. The upside is, it works. The downside is, it heats up the bedroom (all it's doing is moving heat from under your sheets to the room itself... and adding heat of its own on top.

by Anonymousreply 130October 21, 2018 10:58 AM

OP wait for Macy's to have a sale on sheets, last month I bought their Hotel Collection Egyptian cotton set on sale which they normally sell for $250 I paid $112.

by Anonymousreply 131October 21, 2018 11:14 AM

R26, they expect you to wait until 01/07/19 for delivery?

"AVAILABILITY This item will be delivered on or before 01/07/19"

by Anonymousreply 132October 21, 2018 11:43 AM

Get some crisp grandma style cotton sheets for summer (100% cotton, pericale weave, heavy weight). Don't worry so much about thread count or brand names.

For winter go with 100% cotton percale flanelette.

by Anonymousreply 133October 21, 2018 11:58 AM

I love the "Soprano" collection by Peacock Alley.

Also "Comphy" sheets - stayed at a bed and breakfast and asked the lady what the soft sheets were and that's what she said. I'm not sure I like them as well as Soprano's but they're soft, at any rate.

I despise the scratchy texture of most sheets nowadays. I think it has to do with being 'no iron'. They treat them with formaldehyde or some other kind of caustic chemical. So sad. The old days -- oh the sheets were to die for! As someone upthread said, you probably have to look for used sheets to get that kind of quality anymore - here's the part of that post I'm thinking of: "The wonderful bed linens you remember from your childhood exist only as ‘NOS vintage’ on eBay now because everyone outsourced manufacturing to China, India, and Pakistan years ago and the decline in quality is shocking."

by Anonymousreply 134October 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Pratesi has gone bankrupt. All of their shops are now closed.

by Anonymousreply 135October 21, 2018 12:30 PM

I have no class--I bought my sheets for like $16 on eBay. They're not even cotton. But you know what? I like them! They're comfy, they're still going strong after two years and they're still bright white (which I could never maintain with 100% cotton sheets...those would always turn yellow and musky from my body oils in less than a year and I'd have to toss them out. And yes, I shower). I'd love to *luxuriate* in some organic cotton sheets, but I can't justify having to replace them every fucking year once they've yellowed. I'll only buy white sheets because I have to be able to wash them with bleach.

by Anonymousreply 136October 21, 2018 12:30 PM

r126 - the no iron chemical is usually formaldehyde . It is gross & wears off after 20 washes anyway. I would never buy any of those - and they feel like an industrial tarp to me.

Sferra recommends that you iron their sheets - if they're percale. I have their celeste sheet. It's pretty scratchy unless you iron it... and then it feels like glass. Sateen is not as much of an issue if it's not ironed... but even that feels a lot different. It's a huge pain in the ass, so I've rarely done it, but you can mostly tell the difference in hotels where every sheet is pressed in massive rollers. Even a 230 thread count 80 / 20 cotton / poly sheet (what the Four Seasons uses) feels luxurious because it's pressed.

by Anonymousreply 137October 21, 2018 12:38 PM

Anichini in LA, Porthault, the good Frette stuff (there's Frette in Marshall's sometimes, so not that)

by Anonymousreply 138October 21, 2018 12:38 PM

I don't like the feel of sateen sheets. Makes me anxious.

by Anonymousreply 139October 21, 2018 12:44 PM

R136, soaking sheets overnight in Biz or OxiClean takes care of the yellowing problem. Also works great on shirts and towels.

by Anonymousreply 140October 21, 2018 1:16 PM

I love Nancy Koltes' bed linens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141October 21, 2018 1:17 PM

D. Porthault is supposed to be top quality but most of their patterns are clearly intended for women.

by Anonymousreply 142October 21, 2018 2:53 PM

West Elm’s Belgian linen line is good. Got 2 sets, one for my place and the other for my boyfriend’s. It’s only linen from here on out.

by Anonymousreply 143October 21, 2018 11:41 PM

I bought some hemp sheets at the State Fair; they seem to get better with each washing.

OK, with that said, my FAVORITE sheets were inherited from my parents, and the label says Sears PermaPrest. After 30 years they still look like new, and they aren't lying--not a wrinkle.

by Anonymousreply 144October 22, 2018 1:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!