Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm Buying New Dishes!

And, they're on sale! Wish me luck! That is all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97May 10, 2020 11:26 PM

When you've finished with them, the local funeral home will welcome the donation. What's the pattern called? "Casket Handle?"

by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2017 10:04 PM

Very stylish! I'm on the hunt for some new dishes myself.

by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2017 10:04 PM

If by "stylish," r2 means "dreary," then, yes, they're very stylish.

by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2017 10:07 PM

The pattern around the edges looks like mold.

If I were your guest, I'd lose my appetite.

by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2017 10:08 PM

I can still return them, but I think I'm going to just jump in and buy.

by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2017 10:10 PM

White dishes are the best to show off the color of your food.

by Anonymousreply 6February 10, 2017 10:11 PM

They match my tablecloth, which matches the valence and carpet.

R6, I've had white dishes since at least 2005. That's what, 12 years? I thought I should break out of that.

by Anonymousreply 7February 10, 2017 10:13 PM

So, gray, r7? They match gray.

by Anonymousreply 8February 10, 2017 10:16 PM

Perhaps something other than gray might be a welcome sight.

by Anonymousreply 9February 10, 2017 10:17 PM

OP, I love the fact that you just used the word 'valance'. Kiss on the cheek for you.

by Anonymousreply 10February 10, 2017 10:20 PM

Back at you, R10.

by Anonymousreply 11February 10, 2017 10:23 PM

I was being polite R7. I find them hideous and obviously the rest of your decor is too.

by Anonymousreply 12February 10, 2017 10:24 PM

OP, I purchased this fun country Wedgewood pattern. Isn't it gorgeous?

I'd go with something "less dark" than what you are considering. Plus, the edges of your design look rough, not smooth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2017 10:24 PM

OP, do yourself a favor and bring them back. They are far too plain looking and look like something you'd buy at the Dollar Store for $1/plate.

by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2017 10:26 PM

R10, what other word than valance would he have used? There is no other word for it except maybe pelmet. Plus, he spelled it wrong. Perhaps all that gray has damaged his eyesight, so it was a typo.

by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2017 10:27 PM

The edges are blue and black, not gray. The plate is off-white.

For you nay sayers, would you mind posting your plates, so I know what we're dealing with?

by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2017 10:31 PM

There is a middle ground between the pretty traditional pattern at r13 and the drab, moldy sadness of OP's choice. I'm not going to decorate for you, OP, but maybe introduce some color that would go with your gray (or dark blue, as you insist) valance, carpet, tablecloth, life. Something cheerful. You seem to like modern stuff...so...

Also, OP at r16... they're gray.

Something like this might be cheerier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2017 10:35 PM

R15, I think it's presumptuous to correct another person's spelling errors. I'm using a keyboard, and I still make mistakes, and don't enjoyed being corrected, and I know plenty of people are using their phones or other devices, which add their own difficulties. I think OP is cute.

by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2017 10:38 PM

Lol, r18! Presumptuous! Ha. Meanwhile scolding strangers on behavior that ruffles your dainty feathers is not at all presumptuous.

Thanks for the laugh.

Also...welcome to datalounge. That's how this works.

by Anonymousreply 19February 10, 2017 10:42 PM

R19, I've never scolded anyone on this site. I know plenty of you are proud of being miserable cunts.......something to be proud of, I guess. You don't need to assume I'm ignorant of that fact.

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2017 10:53 PM

I don't like the colors as they appear in your photo, OP. But are they the set at the Denby website called "Halo"?

If that's the case, then I like how they look there. (Although, I'm still not a fan of the mug.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 10, 2017 10:54 PM

Middle class rubbish. They are nowhere near the quality of my Royal Doulton with the hand-painted periwinkles.

by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2017 10:57 PM

R20, girl, if you can't see the irony of what you just wrote, there's no help for you. You never scolded anyone except that one time just now when you did. Fun logic, I'm guessing you're in your 20s.

Good luck, little one. At least when you and "cute" OP, hookup, you won't have to put dishes on the wedding registry.

"Our colors are gray and dark blue! Like the Civil War, Mama. It's totes adorbs!"

by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2017 10:58 PM

R22, you beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2017 11:02 PM

R13, no one wants to eat from plates with all an Amish Hex sign.

by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2017 11:04 PM

I have Fiestaware. Jealous , bitches?

by Anonymousreply 26February 10, 2017 11:04 PM

I have Franciscan Starburst .... way too much of it.

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2017 11:06 PM

OP. you bought dishes that match the WHAT?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2017 11:07 PM

OP I love them - because I have them! It's my everyday set, Denby are fantastic for holding up to the daily rigors of dishwasher, cutlery etc. The color is a beautiful subdued grey and off-white. It looks great with my decor although I like the Azure Coast range too so I may get that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 10, 2017 11:11 PM

I have plain white Corelle and I love it. Always available. Makes me happy. If I chipped an expensive plate I'd be sad.

And tons of Le Creuset dishes in bright colours. It's served from at the table to add a little visual merriment because even I realize that plain white isn't the most interesting thing in the world..

by Anonymousreply 30February 10, 2017 11:13 PM

r29, yours is a nicer pattern than OP's, which reminds me of the 70s. My parents own some wooden goblets that would complete OP's set perfectly!

by Anonymousreply 31February 10, 2017 11:19 PM

R16-slash-OP, the pic makes the dishes look charcoal gray around the edges and beige in the center, not blue and off-white. And while they're not what I'd pick, if you like them, buy them.

I got rid of two sets of dinnerware, as I have downsized over the past few years. One was plain white and very modern. Another, also modern, was navy with thin platinum striping around the edges. I would have kept the navy ones, but knives always fell off the edge of the dinner plates, so they were the first ones I gave away. A friend of a friend's son or daughter got married and needed everything, so they were thrilled to get them.

I kept my Fiestaware, in varied shades of blue and green, mainly turquoise, which is as good a color for showing off food as white. Everything red and everything green look terrific on turquoise.

by Anonymousreply 32February 10, 2017 11:19 PM

OP, what is the name of your new pattern? I'm looking on Demby's website, and there are so many patterns, I'm unable to recognize yours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 10, 2017 11:23 PM

r27 I love Franciscan Starburst. I had to resist starting to collect it when a friend gave me the pitcher.

by Anonymousreply 34February 10, 2017 11:25 PM

Theme song for r18:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 10, 2017 11:27 PM

R34 I was obsessed with it and collected it from eBay for several years, r34. I love it too but just display it - I don't dare use it!

by Anonymousreply 36February 10, 2017 11:42 PM

Oh, you should use it, R36. How much do you have?

by Anonymousreply 37February 10, 2017 11:44 PM

I just recently purchased a set of the "Carolyn" pattern from the Homer Laughlin Co. It has a substantial,weighty feel and nice thick glaze. It reminds me of something one would have seen in a 1930s-40s diner.

Give me vintage looks any day...I hate the look of trendy,sterile,modern looking dishes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 10, 2017 11:52 PM

A question for fans of Franciscan Starburst here : it reminds me of Midwinter pottery from the 50s, anybody here collectors? There's one pattern I'm thinking of, very 'starburst' with stylized atom-type flowers but I can't remember the name and I'd like to find some.

I had an aunt who loved Midwinter and Poole pottery and when she died her numbskull son just packed up boxes upon boxes of very cool china and sold it at a dollar a box. He knew lots of my cousins loved her collection, myself included, and would have paid full market value but he chose to just clear out her home like it was rubbish and dumped the lot. Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 39February 10, 2017 11:54 PM

R39 looks like its Midwinter "Quite contrary" pattern ... cute, but nowhere near as nice as Franciscan Starburst in my opinion. I really like their shapes!

by Anonymousreply 40February 10, 2017 11:59 PM

If you like them, OP; that's all that really matters.

by Anonymousreply 41February 11, 2017 12:00 AM

I like the Midwinter "Quite Contrary."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 11, 2017 12:01 AM

R39.

Are you perhaps thinking of the "Stardust" pattern (wonder where they got THAT one)?

There's another called "FlowermIst" that is also reminiscent of Franciscan Starburst.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 11, 2017 12:02 AM

Or maybe you were talking about the midwinter flower mist pattern? That does look more like Starburst.

by Anonymousreply 44February 11, 2017 12:02 AM

A whole lot of Midwinter, designed by Jessie Tait.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 11, 2017 12:02 AM

FlowerMist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 11, 2017 12:03 AM

Good catch, R43.

by Anonymousreply 47February 11, 2017 12:03 AM

A convergence of dish queens. How nice.

by Anonymousreply 48February 11, 2017 12:04 AM

Thanks r40, r42. It's similar to that but more atom-y than floral. I think I found theDL official dinnerware pattern though, "Gay Gobbler" by Jessie Tait for Midwinter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 11, 2017 12:04 AM

Cue the inevitible bitchy:

"you tacky queens all have granny taste" comment in 5...4...3...2...

by Anonymousreply 50February 11, 2017 12:07 AM

That's it r43. You're quite the sleuth! Thanks, now I know what to look for. I also liked Flower Mist at r46. I love these old Jetsons-styled pieces, very '50s idea of the space age'.

by Anonymousreply 51February 11, 2017 12:09 AM

I don't have any "Atom-y" Midwinter dishes in stock R49 but I do have some lovely "Ovum-y" ones by Midwinter if that's more to your taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 11, 2017 12:16 AM

My pleasure, R51.

by Anonymousreply 53February 11, 2017 12:19 AM

[quote]A convergence of dish queens. How nice.

I bet you only set a table for one with that bitchy attitude.

by Anonymousreply 54February 11, 2017 12:21 AM

Here are my old dishes. It is white, though it appears cream here.

2005 - 2017

RIP Dishes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 11, 2017 12:28 AM

OP there are better brown dishes out there. Look for Scandinavian or Italian. Those english ones are AWFUL.

by Anonymousreply 56February 11, 2017 12:30 AM

[quote]I bet you only set a table for one with that bitchy attitude.

Poor r54. Utterly incapable of recognizing sincerity.

by Anonymousreply 57February 11, 2017 12:31 AM

Yes, R21, that's them, thank you! Lucky me, I'm not buying the mug.

I got my mugs from Vistaprint. Their mugs are a little bigger than most, just barely, buy they work good with my Keurig coffee maker. I put photos of my late parents on them and gave them out at Xmas to the family, then kept a few for myself.

by Anonymousreply 58February 11, 2017 12:47 AM

Those are pretty, R29.

by Anonymousreply 59February 11, 2017 12:50 AM

They are named "Halo", R33.

by Anonymousreply 60February 11, 2017 12:54 AM

This thread is gayer than the Duvets For Christmas thread!

by Anonymousreply 61February 11, 2017 12:54 AM

R38 I adore your dinnerware. Is it bone china?

The Jetsons-y patterns are great! They would suit my mid century "rumpus room" which is a tribute to my late parents(and filled with their first haul of furniture from 1955.

OP, you seem so earnest and sweet, and if you truly love the plate in your OP photo, then of course you should have it/them. But might I suggest that you shop around a bit first? DLers have fabulous taste, and there have been many threads on the subject of China patterns. There was a particularly fascinating thread posted when the Obamas selected new White House china. Perhaps you might gaze through the suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 62February 11, 2017 12:55 AM

I appreciate the suggestions. This pattern is on sale for another few days and I just got the first three dishes in the mail today, as a sample. I'll have to view them in the daylight tomorrow. I got sucked into the "on sale now, ending soon" trick.

I think I have good taste, but have terrible judgement for making immediate decisions, I usually need some time to decide. That's why I hate my couch fabric. I couldn't tell from the swatches what a huge couch in that fabric would look like. So, after a short while, then I know if something is nice or not. When I bought my last couch, I bought the floor model because I could visualize it, and loved it until it died.

What I want in general for the plates, is something mostly white, I think.

by Anonymousreply 63February 11, 2017 1:08 AM

My dishes have 350 views on Imgur. Until recently, my pics there were not public, though you all could see them. I'd get 40 views, if I was lucky. Now, I must have changed a setting, because I'm getting comments and views and a negative 2 rating. Who views and especially rates dishes, really! Ha!

by Anonymousreply 64February 11, 2017 1:12 AM

YOu can get better looking plates out of box of Duz detergent.

by Anonymousreply 65February 11, 2017 1:13 AM

[quote]Poor [R54].Utterly incapable of recognizing sincerity.

My apologies for misreading you R57 but expecting people to recognize sincerity? On DATALOUNGE?

by Anonymousreply 66February 11, 2017 1:21 AM

The plate looks like an octopus' ass hole.

by Anonymousreply 67February 11, 2017 1:23 AM

R66 = a cunt's cunt.

by Anonymousreply 68February 11, 2017 1:26 AM

Thank you R62..you're cordially invited to my next dinner party and no, they're not bone china.

by Anonymousreply 69February 11, 2017 1:28 AM

Did you just toss them R55? Or did you lose them to wear and breakage? I don't think I've ever gotten rid of any of my dishes if they're still in good shape and I always buy many extras of a style I like in case of inevitable breakage.

You see, I'm a bit obsessive about dinnerware, serving pieces and artware and when I was having my house built I had a 12x11, auxiliary dish pantry incorporated into the kitchen design. It houses all my sets of vintage embossed Franciscanware as well as other vintage and new patterns. I also had a special closet built to house all my vases, flower bowls, floor urns and jardenieres. The picture isn't mine but it's very similar.

I told you I was obsessive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70February 11, 2017 1:46 AM

That's a lot of dishware, R70.

by Anonymousreply 71February 11, 2017 2:04 AM

R70, where do you go to find all of that?

by Anonymousreply 72February 11, 2017 2:06 AM

R70, My plates have discolored, probably due to the microwave over many years. I seem to have broken enough salad plates that I run out of clean ones between times when I run the dish washer. So, I have a lot of plates remaining, but I thought that "change is good".

by Anonymousreply 73February 11, 2017 2:07 AM

If Fiesta was good enough for generations of gay men, who are you to buck tradition. What's a little lead if its vintage!

by Anonymousreply 74February 11, 2017 2:47 AM

Fiesta has lead in it? For real?

by Anonymousreply 75February 11, 2017 3:45 AM

R70, I think it looks PURTY and I'd like to know a guy like you.

by Anonymousreply 76February 11, 2017 3:46 AM

I love the way he has so much stuff---yet it all looks tidy and organized.

by Anonymousreply 77February 11, 2017 3:47 AM

R70 do you have the "small fruit" pattern of Franciscanware?? I think I have 1 salad plate of it .... I believe it's one of the most rare of their patterns. I am the Starburst collector, but I didn't mention I also have other patterns like Oasis, Duet, and Cypress, plus a few pieces of gladding Mcbean Golden Glow...

by Anonymousreply 78February 11, 2017 3:54 AM

For our Dish Queens on a budget might I suggest this Fiestaware simulant.

It's called Santa Fe Stoneware from Royal Norfolk...it has a solid,weighty clay body, a thick glaze and comes in 4 festive,quasi-vintage hues:

Vibrant,citrusy orange.

Sunny yellow.

Lime green.

Peacock blue.

And the best part is it's also an incredible value for the quality at only a DOLLAR a plate at the Dollar Tree.

And YES, I am TOTALLY serious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79February 11, 2017 4:42 AM

R75, Fiestaware is guaranteed not to have lead in it since it was reintroduced in 1986. Here's an article on the subject in The Smithsonian. And those are my dishes (post-86 Turquoise).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 11, 2017 4:52 AM

Hi R78.

No, the "small fruit" pattern is not one I collect. I prefer the larger scale embossed designs like Apple, Ivy, Desert Rose, Poppy, Meadow Rose,October and Wildflower.

I do like the "Forget-Me-Not" which does have a smaller design but I don't have a complete set of it.

The rarest and most expensive Franciscan pattern,I believe, is "Wildflower"... it was only produced for 3 years and can get pretty pricey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81February 11, 2017 4:54 AM

Oh,and another thing about those Dollar Tree dishes is that although made in China, I tested them for lead and they came up negative.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 11, 2017 4:57 AM

So what did you do, OP?

by Anonymousreply 83February 11, 2017 3:33 PM

I think I will buy the dishes as the Macy's sale ends Monday. I just need dinner plates, salad plates, bowls (which I don't need, but thought I'd get the matching set). Then in a few weeks I will regret the purchase, and buy another all white set. That is how I roll. *sigh*

I have a different set of bowls now. I like the design, even though they are plain and all white, and they are good for everything. They don't match my old dishes but I never use them together anyway. I'd replace them just to get a set that matches my new dishes.

All this is by internet so there is a time delay between decision and possession.

by Anonymousreply 84February 11, 2017 6:02 PM

The dishes do look brighter in daylight.

It's funny that the white part of the dishes is actually brighter white than my old set, but because of the blue-black rim, appear to be cream colored.

by Anonymousreply 85February 11, 2017 6:05 PM

So, I eventually found my new dishes unacceptable. The deal breaker was the weight. They are microwave safe, and I am guessing that is why they are so heavy.

I put a request in at the company called “Replacements”. It’s run by a couple of Gay guys from North Carolina. In a few weeks, they found my old pattern, I’m so happy! And the new dishes look great! I got 7 dinner plates.

What do you think, DataLounge?

Oh, the white (original) dishes are 1 lb 5 Oz. The new dishes are 1 lb. 16 Oz. Feels lie a lot. I think I discolored the white dishes by putting them in the microwave, I guess.

Thanks for all your advice and cuntery, if applicable.

Not a paid Replacements shill

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 14, 2018 12:43 AM

I don't remember if I commented when you first posted this thread, but the first thing that occurs to me today, OP, is how heavy the Denby dishes look. However, I can't tell if the white dishes are stoneware, pottery, or bone china. If I go white, I like the dishes to be as thin as possible. But no big deal. We may simply have different taste in dinnerware.

by Anonymousreply 87May 14, 2018 10:38 AM

What is your old pattern called, R86?

by Anonymousreply 88May 14, 2018 10:41 AM

R88, Country Chateau by CHARTER CLUB made for Federated Dept. Stores. They say 1996-1999, so maybe I’ve owned them longer than I realized. It says China, but I don’t know the difference between that and the others, R87.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 14, 2018 1:20 PM

Oh my. Denby is for poors.

by Anonymousreply 90May 14, 2018 1:25 PM

R90, Villeroy and Boch's Amapola is the only floral pattern I ever liked. I first noticed them at La Plaza in Adams-Morgan (DC) before it merged with Lauriol to become Lauriol Plaza. I didn't buy them, but I thought they were especially nice for a Mexican restaurant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 14, 2018 1:40 PM

R89, it's nice you were able to get those dinner plates. It's hard to find stuff, even on replacements.com, sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 92May 14, 2018 1:42 PM

Villeroy & Boch? I guess if you like pastels.

by Anonymousreply 93May 14, 2018 1:54 PM

Our V&B plates are not pastel.

by Anonymousreply 94May 14, 2018 2:03 PM

Hmm, thread no longer Closed. That’s a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 95May 10, 2020 10:04 PM

It's the dish thread that rose from the dead.

by Anonymousreply 96May 10, 2020 10:46 PM

Stop being so frau OP

Just do what regular guys do when they need new plates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97May 10, 2020 11:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!