Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Goldfrapp is BACK and lez'ier than ever!

The wonderful, chameleonic Goldfrapp are back.

Alison Goldfrapp looks a very healthy and fresh faced 51 year old. Must be all that sapphic vibrating in the presence of dramatic volcanic landscapes. Love that the synths and slinky beats are back.

New album to follow in March.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 18, 2020 7:02 AM

No frapp fans? Thought the gays would be all over this.

by Anonymousreply 1February 9, 2017 9:57 PM

Love Goldfrapp, don't like the new album cover though, it would cool had she not held a a scrub bush in front of her face.

by Anonymousreply 2February 9, 2017 10:02 PM

It's rather burning bush, no?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2017 10:08 PM

It sounds like they're melding their awful (and lazy) electro-clash past with their other ethereal sound, I like it. I hope it's a good album. Their last album was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2017 11:08 PM

Haven't liked anything of theirs since Supernature, which is one of my favourite albums. Worth checking this one out?

by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2017 12:06 AM

Watching the video made me immediately think of this-

is this the new look?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 10, 2017 1:12 AM

[quote]It sounds like they're melding their awful (and lazy) electro-clash past with their other ethereal sound, I like it. I hope it's a good album. Their last album was beautiful.

Awful? Whaaa? Strict Machine, Train, Twist, Oooh La La La, Ride A White Horse, Slide In, Koko, Satin Chic, Yes Sir all say hi, R4. I mean, Train alone...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 10, 2017 5:02 AM

I LOVE HER!!!!

Is she really a dyke? I'll DEFINITELY be listening to this and adding to my playlists.

by Anonymousreply 8February 10, 2017 5:27 AM

Gaga wishes she was this cool.

by Anonymousreply 9February 10, 2017 5:39 AM

Been to one of their concerts, not a fan. Seats were half empty. Compared to Gaga Really? That's like a Ferrari next to a AMC Pacer! Oh, I know you like the retro vibe. Well knock yourself out, no one wants to listen to that Pacer music.

by Anonymousreply 10February 10, 2017 5:44 AM

The video for Annabel from Tales of Us is as beautiful as the song.

There's a difference between cool and popular R10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 10, 2017 5:49 AM

[quote]There's a difference between cool and popular [R10].

Of which Goldfrapp is neither.

by Anonymousreply 12February 10, 2017 6:17 AM

This shit is so boring. The only good thing she ever did was Felt Mountain, which was brilliant, and which she quickly abandoned for a more "popular" sound. YAWN.

by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2017 6:21 AM

R7 Yeah, and like that crappy (electroclash) trend, they milked it because corny fans like you came to discover them so late. Their first album and their last album were their best.

by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2017 6:28 AM

Tales of Us was cool, but Felt Mountain was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2017 7:13 AM

I always like NUMBER 1.

Definitely more fun and imaginative than anything Gags ever attempted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2017 7:20 AM

[quote]Yeah, and like that crappy (electroclash) trend, they milked it because corny fans like you came to discover them so late. Their first album and their last album were their best.

R14: What an oddly aggressive response, R14. For the record, I've been a big fan since the Felt Mountain days when I saw them play the long gone Knitting Factory in Hollywood with 80 or 90 other people at what I believe was their first US show. As for the electroclash trend, if anything, they were a bit ahead of the curve in 2003 with Black Cherry. Also, GASP, shock of all shocks, it's quite possible to enjoy Goldfrapp in all their iterations from their most ethereal to their filthiest stompy glam pop. I certainly have; for 17 years now.

R8: I don't know if "dyke" is accurate. She's apparently been in relationships with both men and women, but for the last several years she's been in a relationship with Lisa Gunning, a film editor and director. Gunning directed all of the exquisite videos from Tales of Us. And unlike, say, Guy Ritchie and Madge, Gunning and Goldfrapp turned out to be artistically well matched, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2017 7:55 AM

BROOKLYN. APR. 26 & 27

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2017 3:54 AM

I like the new video but Lisa did a much better job for Tales of Us (Which happens to be their best album, imo). And yes, she's gone full lez, and I love her for that.

by Anonymousreply 19February 21, 2017 6:26 AM

I tend to agree, R19, though the Anymore video has grown on me -- especially when using good quality headphones. The shaved-head dancers are fantastic, just wish Alison wasn't such a guest in her own video.

by Anonymousreply 20February 21, 2017 6:43 AM

I hope they play this one in New York

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 24, 2017 6:00 AM

Yaaaaaaaawn.

by Anonymousreply 22February 24, 2017 6:26 AM

Here's a new one from the next album. I think it's superb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 9, 2017 7:10 PM

Modern masters. I suppose there are two ways to approach music. One is 'how does it fulfil my needs' and the other is 'what can I find in here?' Goldfrapp is best approached with the second frame of mind. It did take me a while to get the last album but then, my God, it was so rewarding.

by Anonymousreply 24March 9, 2017 7:29 PM

Ocean is such a dirge. I preferred Anymore.

by Anonymousreply 25March 10, 2017 7:06 AM

I can't wait to hear the album. I'm not feeling the red hair alison. I think she should have gone for the lighter ginger. It would look spectacular on her. This color is too strong for her complexion.

by Anonymousreply 26March 10, 2017 11:01 AM

Always thought thet would be chosen to write a James Bond theme...

by Anonymousreply 27March 10, 2017 1:57 PM

R27 - that always seemed a bit too on the nose to me. Not that they've ever been big enough - barring a brief period with Supernature - to be asked. Anyway, they kind of already did make one. John Barry's clearly been an influence...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 10, 2017 2:57 PM

I understand R27. It seemed obvious when Felt Mountain was released... Was always rooting for their breakthrough. Was rooting for Roisin Murphys breakthrough with "Overpowered" as well.

by Anonymousreply 29March 10, 2017 3:29 PM

R29 but Roisin's music went downhill from there, whereas Goldfrapp keeps getting better by each album.

by Anonymousreply 30March 10, 2017 8:03 PM

*with

by Anonymousreply 31March 10, 2017 8:16 PM

[quote] but Roisin's music went downhill from there, whereas Goldfrapp keeps getting better by each album.

Um. Not to sideline things here, but Hairless Toys is a bloody weird-pop masterpiece. Not least alone for the brilliant audio-visual storytelling in the series of self-directed music videos Roisin created for that stunning album. I will give you, though, that her more recent album, Take Her Up to Monto is mixed... to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 32March 11, 2017 2:16 AM

New song is lovely...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2017 8:14 AM

Ocean, the final track is pretty dark and heavy.

by Anonymousreply 34March 27, 2017 7:35 PM

BEWITCHING

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 29, 2017 5:59 AM

As the kids say, this shit is LIT. I keep rewinding to 1:54-2:30 over and over again. Only these guys can make something that feels red hot and ice cold at the same time. It's like double-double-toil-and-trouble goes disco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 30, 2017 6:39 AM

This record is really good...

by Anonymousreply 37March 31, 2017 9:52 PM

Its their most listenable since Black Cherry.

by Anonymousreply 38April 1, 2017 5:32 PM

I love the album!

by Anonymousreply 39April 3, 2017 11:35 PM

R38 I don't know about that. I think Tales of Us is fucking brilliant.

R32 I have to disagree. I loved Mi Senti EP a lot, though.

by Anonymousreply 40April 3, 2017 11:41 PM

I've really tried to appreciate them, but their songs go nowhere...boring! Where are the hooks? Roisin is hit or miss, but when she's on, she's 100x more interesting than Ms. Goldfrapp.

by Anonymousreply 41April 3, 2017 11:47 PM

I've loved all of their albums EXCEPT Tales of Us. For the life of me, I just can't get into it.

Seventh Tree is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 42April 3, 2017 11:54 PM

Have you seen the Tales of Us videos R42? They really help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 4, 2017 12:35 AM

r43 That's their best video and one of my all time favorite music videos.

by Anonymousreply 44April 4, 2017 5:18 AM

Agreed, R44. I don't know if it's available in the US online, but they were on BBC Radio 2 last night and gave an uncharacteristically funny and relaxed interview. They also performed few numbers live. Anymore, Ocean and Strict Machine. They were in fine form.

by Anonymousreply 45April 5, 2017 7:28 AM

r45 Their interviews are usually funny. Alison doesn't seem to take herself seriously, which is one of her many qualities. The only thing is, she rarely does interviews.

by Anonymousreply 46April 6, 2017 10:27 PM

Has music caught up with Goldfrapp?

by Anonymousreply 47April 7, 2017 11:29 PM

r47 it never will

by Anonymousreply 48April 21, 2017 5:26 AM

DAMN. 'Anymore' sounds even better live. Digging the silver suit, too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 21, 2017 6:43 AM

I was really looking forward to this album (Silver Eye) and then I got it and it is the most boring thing I've ever heard.

Nothing interesting on the entire album and one dull and uninspired track after the other. Her voice is so overproduced it's unlistenable.

Time to pack it in Goldfrapp.

by Anonymousreply 50April 21, 2017 7:07 AM

I really love her, since Felt Mountain came out. Unlike many others, I found Supernature as good as Felt Mountain. I saw her live, the soprano is real, and everything you dreamed of. Also she has the most perfect legs I have ever seen in real life. #fan4lyf

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2017 11:32 AM

Alison is perfection in every way.

by Anonymousreply 52April 21, 2017 5:57 PM

Really digging Tigerman. It feels very Grace Jones. In fact, now I'm imagining a Goldfrapp produced Grace Jones album...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 22, 2017 4:33 PM

Systemagic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 28, 2017 4:46 AM

Fuck! They're so good live. Alison is fucking amazing!

by Anonymousreply 55April 28, 2017 5:16 AM

YAAAAWNNN. Next.

by Anonymousreply 56April 28, 2017 6:19 AM

R55 - did you go to the Brooklyn show? How was it??

by Anonymousreply 57April 30, 2017 12:48 AM

r57 yes, Thursday night. It was great! Her voice is fantastic and they sound so good live. They mostly played electro/dance songs. Not a single song from Tales of Us or Seventh Tree ( both of which I would have loved to hear). I guess this tour is not about ballads. They opened with Utopia and closed with Strict Machine. They played three songs from Silver Eye ( Anymore, Systemagic, and Become the One). As r51 mentioned, the soprano is real and everything you dreamed of. I'd watch her every night lol.

by Anonymousreply 58April 30, 2017 1:51 AM

They only played three songs from the new album? That seems a bit unusual. But, yeah, they nearly always sound amazing live. I think that's partly because Will rarely plays live with the band anymore, so most of his time is spent on shaping the live sound in the early days of rehearsals and warm up gigs.

by Anonymousreply 59May 1, 2017 3:24 AM

They're playing Western US, European and various festival shows this summer and autumn....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 24, 2017 7:07 AM

At the Glastonbury Festival last week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 6, 2017 3:01 AM

I've found my people!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 6, 2017 3:05 AM

Bumping this thread due its, apparent, recent inaccuracy. Stumbled upon this brief interview with Alison in which she reveals that she's... finally working on new music. It isn't specified if this is with Wil Gregory or not. She also reveals that she's been recovering from Covid!! (Hopefully fully recuperated now! )

But, she also let slip that she'd dating a MAN. I guess things broke off with Lez filmmaker/music video director Lisa Gunning.

You might have to scroll about half way down to read it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 18, 2020 6:50 AM

As long as she's happy. I've followed them for years and the only time in her career she's seemed relaxed and happy rather than surly was when she was with Lisa. But perhaps that was just a coincidence and around Head First life just started getting better generally?

by Anonymousreply 64November 18, 2020 7:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!