Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Jake Gyllenhaal finally inching his way out of the closet?

I had no idea that he could sing like this! Why has he been keeping this voice hidden for so long?

Also, last week on Facebook, he posted the song "You've Got to Be Carefully Taught" from SOUTH PACIFIC on his Facebook profile. (Funny, I seem to remember years ago somebody claiming that Billy Crystal said in an interview he used to think Jake Gyllenhaal was gay because he would sing songs from South Pacific)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156February 19, 2020 7:56 AM

Jesus! He's great!

by Anonymousreply 1February 7, 2017 10:10 PM

OP, more like kicking the door down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 7, 2017 10:11 PM

That was established to be fake, R2.

by Anonymousreply 3February 7, 2017 10:14 PM

His voice sounds a little harsh. I think he needs to sing in a slightly higher key. But he does sound good. That's not an easy score to sing. As for Jake being Gay? That's stereo typing isn't it? He likes Musical theatre so he must be Gay?

I don't have any idea if he's Gay or straight. But he's been famous for such a long time in this age of camera phones and stalkers and twitter and facebook and instagram, we would know by now. He lives in NYC. There are way too many Gay guys who would tell. Especially theatre people.

by Anonymousreply 4February 7, 2017 10:14 PM

Crystal said that about young Jake when they were on the set of City Slickers. Gyllenhaal would entertain them and sing show tunes and people would all look at one another and say, "Yeah, he's gonna be gay."

by Anonymousreply 5February 7, 2017 10:14 PM

36, never married, no long-term girlfriend...

And the Taylor Swift Incident...

by Anonymousreply 6February 7, 2017 10:15 PM

Another reason to loathe Billy Crystal.

by Anonymousreply 7February 7, 2017 10:17 PM

R7 For speaking the truth. He was flaming even back then and has never lost his lustre.

by Anonymousreply 8February 7, 2017 10:21 PM

An actor singing on Broadway in his drama school voice is not the most reliable proof of homo buggery.

by Anonymousreply 9February 7, 2017 10:25 PM

Jesus Christ, could someone please post a link to his post? The OP's link was basically the most annoying fucking woman I've ever heard in my life.

by Anonymousreply 10February 7, 2017 10:28 PM

Here is a link that his the full video without the commentary

In addition, I have F&F the OP for posting a link to that fucking annoying bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 7, 2017 10:31 PM

I LOVE him in the beard! And his voice is a revelation. I had no idea he could sing.

by Anonymousreply 12February 7, 2017 10:35 PM

I thought he came out years ago.

by Anonymousreply 13February 7, 2017 10:38 PM

So he'll win a Tony instead of an Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 14February 7, 2017 10:41 PM

No, the producers removed the show from Tony consideration/eligibility.

by Anonymousreply 15February 7, 2017 10:44 PM

Suddenly, Seymour - Ellen Greene & Jake Gyllenhaal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 7, 2017 10:48 PM

He's shockingly good. Holy shit! Why hasn't he done a movie musical yet?

by Anonymousreply 17February 7, 2017 10:48 PM

Jake Gyllenhaal disusses playing Seymour in Little Shop of Horrors

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 7, 2017 10:50 PM

Whats with the accent? I hear an accent.

by Anonymousreply 19February 7, 2017 10:51 PM

He's become a very nice husbear.

by Anonymousreply 20February 7, 2017 10:51 PM

Damn, he makes me moist.

by Anonymousreply 21February 7, 2017 10:53 PM

Jake Gyllenhaal - SNL - Dream Girls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 7, 2017 10:54 PM

That cunt has the most annoying voice I've ever heard, and there wasn't a bit of fry to it. Just...ANNOYING AS FUCK.

by Anonymousreply 23February 7, 2017 10:55 PM

Wow he even does drag.

by Anonymousreply 24February 7, 2017 10:57 PM

[QUOTE]No, the producers removed the show from Tony consideration/eligibility.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 25February 7, 2017 11:02 PM

Is it really that unusual to have a singing voice like his? I'm just thinking about all those years I went to church every Sunday. Seems like there was no shortage of men who could sing like this in the choir.

R25 - money. Limited run, show closes before awards announced so nominations wouldn't increase sales. So why give away tickets for consideration?

by Anonymousreply 26February 7, 2017 11:09 PM

I agree about the voice on that chick. Christ, it's enough to give you hives! She must be related to someone to get an on-camera job.

by Anonymousreply 27February 7, 2017 11:20 PM

So great, and he's still got all of his pubic hair.

by Anonymousreply 28February 7, 2017 11:33 PM

You know Tom Ford tapped that.

by Anonymousreply 29February 7, 2017 11:34 PM

Most actors / actresses can sing

by Anonymousreply 30February 7, 2017 11:41 PM

Emma Stone can't. Ryan Gosling can't.

by Anonymousreply 31February 7, 2017 11:44 PM

It really wouldn't hurt Jake to come out of the closet at this point. He's done playing romantic leads and he's not doing any superhero movies. He might as well just go ahead and come out.

by Anonymousreply 32February 7, 2017 11:46 PM

Why cant he still do hetero romantic leads? Why is he "done"

by Anonymousreply 33February 7, 2017 11:48 PM

An openly gay actor won't be cast in a hetero romantic lead in a studio film. That's just the way it is. But in recent years Jake has concentrated on thriller/offbeat types of roles that aren't targeted exclusively to teenagers, so being openly gay may not be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 34February 7, 2017 11:52 PM

Lol, Exactly r31. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone are perfect examples, usually every actor has taken some vocal lessons and considers themselves a talented singer. But the REAL truth can be less than impressive.

by Anonymousreply 35February 7, 2017 11:56 PM

Stone and Gosling are the exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 36February 7, 2017 11:59 PM

Didn't gosling get his start singing on the Mickey Mouse club along with Timberlake and Spears?

by Anonymousreply 37February 8, 2017 12:05 AM

It's a passable performance of a great song. Though I don't like him, and he's nowhere near as good looking as Jake, Mandy Patinkin sings that song to perfection ...

by Anonymousreply 38February 8, 2017 12:17 AM

Whatever happened to Jake's basketball pal, Austin? Did he end up marrying a nice girl?

by Anonymousreply 39February 8, 2017 12:23 AM

There's always someone better, isn't it, r38?

by Anonymousreply 40February 8, 2017 12:27 AM

[quote]Whatever happened to Jake's basketball pal, Austin? Did he end up marrying a nice girl?

He's been dating Chloe Bennett from "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD" for 3 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 8, 2017 12:33 AM

[quote]He's shockingly good. Holy shit! Why hasn't he done a movie musical yet?

He was cast as the The Prince in "Into The Woods" but dropped out to do "Nightcrawler".

[quote]It's a passable performance of a great song. Though I don't like him, and he's nowhere near as good looking as Jake, Mandy Patinkin sings that song to perfection ...

Uh huh of course he does. Sondheimite rule number one... Only the original cast is acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 42February 8, 2017 12:34 AM

R42 stealthily said sodomite.

by Anonymousreply 43February 8, 2017 12:36 AM

Actually I don't pray at the alter of Sondheim. Sondheimites are insufferable. I only like three songs he's ever written. THREE, there I said it.

by Anonymousreply 44February 8, 2017 12:39 AM

Who is doing the female part?

I'm so sick of men with beards.

by Anonymousreply 45February 8, 2017 12:40 AM

Singing loud like Jake did in the clip doesn't necessarily mean that he is a good singer - sometimes the loudness merely covers up a multitude of sins. He's a passable singer, possibly even good, but not great. And, is Jake gay? Hollywood actors are so shrouded in mystery on this issue (think homophobia) that your guess is as good as mine. Very possibly he is but Hollywood and the stars still play all their bullshit games.

by Anonymousreply 46February 8, 2017 12:43 AM

[quote]I'm so sick of men with beards.

But I haven't even had a girlfriend in years!

by Anonymousreply 47February 8, 2017 12:44 AM

Is he still dating the British actress he did that play with?

by Anonymousreply 48February 8, 2017 12:46 AM

[quote] And, is Jake gay?

The whole idea mainly came from Ted Casablanca's popular and long running series of toothy tile blind items, which were obviously meant to be about Jake G and his supposed closeted life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 8, 2017 12:50 AM

Silly gays!

Jake loves the ladies and we love him right back... as often as possible!

Jake knows how easy it is to score with the gals in Drama Club! He's like a young Olivier! Just dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 50February 8, 2017 12:50 AM

I never knew he could sing. But for some reason I always thought he would have been great as Phil Ochs in a movie about his life. I figured he was a good actor, he could probably handle the singing part of that role, especially since Phil Ochs wasn't that great of a singer.

by Anonymousreply 51February 8, 2017 1:01 AM

I'm back. I'm back. I'll never leave DL again.

by Anonymousreply 52February 8, 2017 1:05 AM

Annaleigh Ashford (Tony winner for You Can't Take It With You, Tony nominee for Kinky Boots, the blond prostitute on Masters of Sex) is playing Dot, the female lead in the show. I don't know if I'll get to see this, but I'm more interested in seeing her than Jake, truth be told. Would like to see if she can put the "critics' darling" quirk away and show some honest emotion.

by Anonymousreply 53February 8, 2017 1:13 AM

R49 the original Toothy Blind Item wasn't even about Jake as much as it was very generic and could have been any young actor . What happened was that Jake had done Brokeback Mountain and the movie was about to be release later that year ( Blind items started in early spring 2005) and people latched onto that (Heath got a pass because he pretty much knocked up Michelle Williams on the Mountain ). So people started suggesting Jake and as more people send in his name the more Ted played to that crowd (he would later do the same thing with the Robsten fans). I think eventually Ted realized how far he had taken it and tried to end it via the swirled juices and hidden Baby Tile bullshit .

by Anonymousreply 54February 8, 2017 1:19 AM

WEHT Ted Casablancas (real name: Bruce Bibby), anyway? His column on EOnline was always ridiculous. All that crap about "Toothy Tile (supposedly Jake Gyllenhaal) and "Fishstick (supposedly Gwyneth Paltrow)." He had a bizarre crush on Courtney Love; he called her "Court-babe." At some premiere she went to with Frances Bean and that record executive she was involved with for a while he said she looked "fab, fab, fab!" and that "things are looking very Leave It To Beaver." He loved Courtney Love and made it seem like she'd finally cleaned up. Not hardly! Anyway, he always seemed like a blithering asshole.

by Anonymousreply 55February 8, 2017 1:46 AM

he needs to fatten up a bit, he looks to harsh and strung out

by Anonymousreply 56February 8, 2017 1:54 AM

R56 It was just the opposite when Jake filmed Brokeback Mountain. He was just a tad on the chubby side and didn't look good in scenes where his shirt was off or where there was partial nudity so Ang Lee had to hire a streamlined stunt double to fill in for Jake in those scenes.

by Anonymousreply 57February 8, 2017 2:22 AM

R25, Variety suggests financial reasons. (Short run with little time to recoup, so they don't want to have to give away thousands of tickets to Tony voters.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 8, 2017 2:26 AM

(Sorry--didn't see r26 already answered.)

by Anonymousreply 59February 8, 2017 2:27 AM

[quote]You know Tom Ford tapped that.

I thought it would be obvious by now where most of his Ford's attentions really ended up lying while were filming.

by Anonymousreply 60February 8, 2017 3:25 AM

His voice isn't that great. And he's really not cut out for Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 61February 8, 2017 3:32 AM

Oh shut up, Andrew Rannells. His voice is comparable to Robert Cuccioli's!

by Anonymousreply 62February 8, 2017 6:33 AM

Because any man who sings on stage is clearly a homosexual.

He probably was forced to take that gig when being a male nurse or a hairdresser didn't pan out.

by Anonymousreply 63February 8, 2017 6:40 AM

YAWN

by Anonymousreply 64February 8, 2017 9:57 AM

His singing style is Broadway-esque, enunciating each word and holding the last vowel of the last word in each phrase.

by Anonymousreply 65February 8, 2017 10:23 AM

He's an actor who sings. His voice is perfect for the stage. He presents well. Actually this role is a good one for him. The play is a good choice. He sings in a different key to Mandy Patinkin. Sondheim seems to like it.

by Anonymousreply 66February 8, 2017 11:51 AM

I sincerely doubt he is gay and even if he is he cannot come out anytime soon after deny being gay for so long and so vocally, the I love female tits and ass comment pretty much hinders his coming out for many years to come.

by Anonymousreply 67February 8, 2017 12:12 PM

R57 - is that true? A double because Lee didn't like the cub body? If anyone can carry some chunk into bed and keep the sexy, it would be Jake Gyllenhaal.

by Anonymousreply 68February 8, 2017 12:23 PM

That's bullshit R57. Jake was interviewed and said he used a double because he was afraid of heights. There were two nude scenes as I recall. One in which they jumped off a cliff into the water to swim, and the other of Jake naked washing his clothes in the stream. The cliff jumper was a double because Jake was afraid of heights and didn't want to do it. The other scene was him. There was never any discussions about using body doubles because they were too chubby or out of shape or too lean or WTF ever. Stop projecting.

by Anonymousreply 69February 8, 2017 12:42 PM

[quote]I sincerely doubt he is gay and even if he is he cannot come out anytime soon after deny being gay for so long and so vocally, the I love female tits and ass comment pretty much hinders his coming out for many years to come.

Well, if you're sincere. (eyes rolling)

by Anonymousreply 70February 8, 2017 1:31 PM

Enjoyable clip. It'd be fun to see him as Bobby in 'Company.'

by Anonymousreply 71February 8, 2017 4:14 PM

R69 You are naïve to actually believe what a film star says in an interview. Of course they are going to deny the truth and come up with another story. There were behind-the-scenes stories about Ang Lee and others looking at the movie rushes and deciding that chubbette Jake needed an in-shape body double for the skin scenes.

by Anonymousreply 72February 8, 2017 4:22 PM

[quote] You are naïve to actually believe what a film star says in an interview.

Yeah, I laughed when that poster said it wasn't true because he read him say it in an interview!!!!!!

I didn't think we had posters here who were so dumb and naive (and I say this not knowing what is the truth of course, but that is besides the point)

by Anonymousreply 73February 8, 2017 4:28 PM

I didn't say I read it. I said "Jake said in an interview." Jake made Jarhead that year too. His body was fine.

by Anonymousreply 74February 8, 2017 4:56 PM

He is still not gay, I get the impression he hates all the gay rumors and hates his gay fans, well the few the has left, most gay men have moved on and bored of his constant hetero PR blitzing.

by Anonymousreply 75February 8, 2017 5:17 PM

I want to see Jakey in a big, fat, fabulous Bway revival of BARNUM!

by Anonymousreply 76February 8, 2017 5:18 PM

R42/44, only three? How manly!

by Anonymousreply 77February 8, 2017 5:30 PM

[quote]He is still not gay, I get the impression he hates all the gay rumors and hates his gay fans, well the few the has left, most gay men have moved on and bored of his constant hetero PR blitzing

Well, if get the impression. (eyes still rolling)

by Anonymousreply 78February 8, 2017 5:35 PM

Im curious,

WHICH 3?

by Anonymousreply 79February 8, 2017 5:57 PM

[quote]He is still not gay, I get the impression he hates all the gay rumors and hates his gay fans, well the few the has left

Yes, Jake is old news and the gays have moved on. We now have our tongues firmly up the ass of Chris Evans.

by Anonymousreply 80February 8, 2017 6:01 PM

NO his voice SUCKS!

by Anonymousreply 81February 8, 2017 6:23 PM

{quote]WHICH 3?

"Unworthy Of Your Love" ("Assassins")

"No One Is Alone" ("Into The Woods")

"Putting It Together" ( "Sunday In The Park With George")

by Anonymousreply 82February 8, 2017 6:35 PM

Not "Somewhere," r82?

by Anonymousreply 83February 8, 2017 6:44 PM

He didn't write the music to "Somewhere," r83. Ironically, "Putting it Together" has the same tune as the song r82 professes to dislike.

by Anonymousreply 84February 8, 2017 6:50 PM

Didn't he write the words, R84?

by Anonymousreply 85February 8, 2017 6:52 PM

[quote] He didn't write the music to "Somewhere," [R83]. Ironically, "Putting it Together" has the same tune as the song [R82] professes to dislike.

Those three are solo Sondheim, "Gypsy" & "West Side Story" don't count. And I like Streisand's Pop version of "Putting It Together" not the ridiculous high pitched sped up cast album version.

by Anonymousreply 86February 8, 2017 8:06 PM

Jake sounds like Patinkin Lite.

by Anonymousreply 87February 8, 2017 9:14 PM

Jake strains where Mandy soars...

by Anonymousreply 88February 8, 2017 9:20 PM

"That chick" r23 & r27 is the brilliant Ellen Greene, the original Audrey, who could still pull off the role here in her 60s.

by Anonymousreply 89February 8, 2017 9:44 PM

The two and a half hours of the Little Shop concert was honestly one of the most electric times I and my friends had in a theater. It was really thrilling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90February 8, 2017 9:48 PM

There's something odd about him. I don't think he's Gay but he comes across as asexual to me. Almost pre adolescent. He seems immature and silly. He's very handsome until he opens his mouth and you watch him interview. It's almost as if he has deliberately tamped down the Sexy factor. No mature, sexually experienced man or woman would be attracted to him I bet if he ever does "get married" it'll be to some one much younger and not real bright.

by Anonymousreply 91February 9, 2017 3:09 AM

Once more for ole times sake:

Jake Gyllenhaal's obit will read:

He was fucked in a tent by oscar winner Heath Ledger.

by Anonymousreply 92February 9, 2017 3:49 AM

He's so goddam sexy. I want to make out with him for hours and hours before we fuck.

by Anonymousreply 93February 9, 2017 3:50 AM

I agree with r91, Jake is very good looking, but he doesn't exude sex appeal. They aren't the same thing.

Some guys can just exude sex, Jake isn't that type.

by Anonymousreply 94February 9, 2017 3:55 AM

R93 = Maggie Gyllenhaal.

by Anonymousreply 95February 9, 2017 3:57 AM

Well he exudes sex appeal to me. Doubt he's strickly dickly however. Most likely bi.

by Anonymousreply 96February 9, 2017 4:00 AM

He is made of sex. It runs out of every pore.

by Anonymousreply 97February 9, 2017 4:03 AM

R91 is keen in his observations. And the eyes only accentuate his adolescent state. They are not searing but googly.

by Anonymousreply 98February 9, 2017 5:31 AM

He's afraid of the Sexy. If he was ever to unleash his full sexual power, people couldn't handle it. He couldn't handle it. The world as we know it would be destroyed from the Sex Power. We would all just explode. There I said it.

by Anonymousreply 99February 9, 2017 11:53 AM

He doesn't have the range, I love him but he doesn't have the range. Jake I love you but you don't have the range darling.

by Anonymousreply 100February 9, 2017 11:55 AM

I don't know, R100. He hits his notes very easily and very clearly. This new video was done after their rehearsal for the day, and they needed three or four takes. I'm posting the version he sang last fall. He really does sound much better than Mandy Patinkin. Mandy's voice is harsh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101February 9, 2017 12:04 PM

He's even sexier in person.

by Anonymousreply 102February 9, 2017 12:08 PM

Ooohhh! Tell us, R103.

by Anonymousreply 103February 9, 2017 12:11 PM

Not related to Jake, but I was just wonder how often can you reheat chicken?

by Anonymousreply 104February 9, 2017 12:17 PM

Very much related to Jake and I'm afraid it is past its sell-by date.

by Anonymousreply 105February 9, 2017 1:15 PM

Jake Gyllenhaal and James Franco are definitely gay and unlikely to ever marry.

by Anonymousreply 106February 9, 2017 2:58 PM

R101-he sounds EXTREMELY choppy and premeditated. Everything I felt and more so from the promo. No flow no color no life

by Anonymousreply 107February 10, 2017 1:35 AM

Caught him on Live with Kelly this morning. The man is dam near perfect. Quite humble too.

by Anonymousreply 108February 10, 2017 8:55 PM

He comes off as clearly gay in interviews. Actually reminds me a lot of an ex-bf from years ago.

by Anonymousreply 109February 10, 2017 9:50 PM

Jacob is the sexiest man at our temple.

by Anonymousreply 110February 11, 2017 12:29 AM

Who's Ida?

by Anonymousreply 111February 11, 2017 12:39 AM

All actors sing today. (Yawn) even M though badly

by Anonymousreply 112February 11, 2017 2:13 PM

He presented well in a recent 1.5 hour SAG interview I watched on YouTube. Very likable with a great sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 113February 11, 2017 3:00 PM

He's not good he's not bad

he's just nice

by Anonymousreply 114February 11, 2017 11:04 PM

I saw him last fall and he has an amazing voice. And he is a hell of an actor. The combination was electric on stage. Anyone who doesn't haul their asses to NYC to see him in Sunday in the Park with George is missing the experience of a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 115February 13, 2017 2:29 AM

Please name some other experiences of a lifetime so I can gauge your remark because I found him to be just "nice"

by Anonymousreply 116February 13, 2017 3:34 AM

Multiple orgasms while high on pot ?

by Anonymousreply 117February 13, 2017 2:02 PM

still curious R115 what performer or show you loved

by Anonymousreply 118February 13, 2017 6:51 PM

You have a problem with multiple orgasms R118?

by Anonymousreply 119February 13, 2017 6:54 PM

He's been my favorite actor since 1999. I've seen all of his movies except most of Prince of Persia. I watched just enough to realize I didn't want to watch Jake with long hair spouting such horrid dialogue. The only actors I've liked nearly as much are English: Matthew Goode, Hugh Dancy, and lately Tom Hughes. Casey Affleck, too. But backtracking Casey's old catalog has been a borefest.

by Anonymousreply 120February 13, 2017 7:28 PM

thanks to R120 for an articulate response

by Anonymousreply 121February 14, 2017 12:35 AM

Jake must be so fed up by now of being asked, ever since he did brokeback. He shouldn't have.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122February 14, 2017 6:53 PM

I don't think Jake is gay, as much as I wish he were. I think he's a sweet, sensitive (Jewish) guy and probably overly neurotic, which would explain why he has never had a long-term girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 123February 14, 2017 7:56 PM

I find him really repulsive but it's obvious he's gay. I guess this is yet another thread infested with fat fraus over forty.

by Anonymousreply 124February 14, 2017 10:13 PM

So funny R123

by Anonymousreply 125February 14, 2017 10:58 PM

I find R124 really repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 126February 15, 2017 6:44 PM

This is the whitest thing I have ever heard. Where's the soul? The diction? Yuck. White people love to sing from their throats.

by Anonymousreply 127February 15, 2017 7:14 PM

If he is gay, what's his type. Latin guys?

by Anonymousreply 128February 15, 2017 7:22 PM

r127 Racist! front hole.

by Anonymousreply 129February 15, 2017 9:54 PM

love this pic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130February 16, 2017 12:20 AM

LOVE^

and R124, we're talking about Jake NOT each other. Stay on topic.

R127 made me laugh

by Anonymousreply 131February 16, 2017 12:40 AM

^^^^ SORRY R124, I meant R126 who said he found you repulsive

R126,we're talking about Jake NOT each other. Stay on topic.

by Anonymousreply 132February 16, 2017 12:42 AM

R130, yep he's family. Masco bros always camp it up when their in the moment and falling in love.

by Anonymousreply 133February 16, 2017 1:07 AM

That pic is all the proof one needs.

by Anonymousreply 134February 16, 2017 1:10 AM

Jake doing the Grace Jones pose in his underwear was supposedly "fake" but I don't believe it.

by Anonymousreply 135February 16, 2017 1:39 AM

Jake is this generation's Anthony Perkins.

by Anonymousreply 136February 18, 2017 2:20 AM

I don't get the love for this man's singing. It sounds harsh and bland. No bueno.

by Anonymousreply 137February 18, 2017 2:44 AM

No bueno aussi.

But Broadway is hungry for "movie stars"

Jake does not have the male bravado needed to carry it off.

Sure George is not alpha, but in his creation he is.

Jake is too limp.

Sweet, but limp.

Some I know who have worked with him say the same.

by Anonymousreply 138February 18, 2017 6:01 AM

R130 signs you are in love: 1. You can't take your eyes of your love, and has a big cheesy grin.

by Anonymousreply 139February 18, 2017 7:03 AM

Gyllenhaal is doing, it seems to me, a very good movie star performance; that is, he's something of a blank slate asking the audience to project a performance onto him. He has simply enormous beautiful eyes that he tends to keep full out at the audience, and the effect, I imagine, works well for most. I found him to be a bit one-note (morose) most of the evening. He comes to life a bit during "Putting It Together," but nowhere near to the ultra-desperate degree we saw Patinkin get to (which seems more appropriate to me, given the character and situation). As for his singing - well, he's clearly working very hard at it, but it's neither particularly expressive nor attractive to listen to to. Nothing terrible; just a novice working very hard to get better. ....

by Anonymousreply 140February 21, 2017 6:11 PM

His singing proves it--he's STRAIGHT after all!

Hooray for heterosexuality!

by Anonymousreply 141February 23, 2017 9:46 PM

hey, you know what? I saw hm a week ago. He was wonderful. I never had the "benefit" of seeing Mandy Patinkin. I'm stunted in that way. But to my poor, unformed limited mind, I thought Jake was wonderful. He was flawless and he can sing, dammit. He has a strong voice, melodic and nuanced when called for. He's worth seeing, the play's worth seeing. So go. You will not be sorry.

by Anonymousreply 142February 23, 2017 10:41 PM

how old are you R142 and who are some of your favorite Bway people?

by Anonymousreply 143February 24, 2017 9:37 AM

Even though I have issue with Jake as a performer, here he is as lovely as can be---last few minutes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144February 25, 2017 10:11 AM

Jake and his new horror movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145March 21, 2017 10:15 PM

Jake is my favorite actor, but I am going to have to skip his sci-fi/horror flick with Ryan Reynolds. As much as I like each of them, the movie sounds just dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 146March 21, 2017 10:23 PM

Quite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147March 21, 2017 10:28 PM

What a prat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148March 21, 2017 10:32 PM

Has he always had wonky eyes?

by Anonymousreply 149March 21, 2017 10:42 PM

that interview revealed more about jake than he intended.

by Anonymousreply 150March 30, 2017 1:25 PM

I think it's too late for Jake. Jake has dug his closet and will be buried in it.

by Anonymousreply 151March 30, 2017 1:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152March 30, 2017 1:30 PM

I like Jake's work and would love to see him sing Sondheim; but in the link @ R148 methinks the lady doth protest too much.

by Anonymousreply 153March 30, 2017 2:58 PM

And they call ME a cunt!

by Anonymousreply 154March 30, 2017 3:33 PM

That girl in OP link was so distractingly awful. I'm in shock , don't really remember Jake singing.

by Anonymousreply 155March 30, 2017 3:39 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 156February 19, 2020 7:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!