Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How are trans to blame for an anti-gay religious order by the right?

I'm constantly seeing this and it doesn't make sense. What does the bathroom issue have to do with religious bullshit? To be honest I don't agree with the trans on a lot of things. But to blame them for the right's Christian agenda? I don't get it. Even without the trans in play, the right would STILL come for us. That's the truth.

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2018 3:03 PM

You know there are a lot of obsessive trans-haters out there, expecting rationality of them is pointless OP.

by Anonymousreply 1January 31, 2017 2:40 PM

The Religious Wrong wants to make their gay sons and daughters ex-gay by any means necessary, whether by pseudoscience or by religion.

by Anonymousreply 2January 31, 2017 2:42 PM

Yes they would still come for us but the tide was turning. More people were realizing it was no big deal. Then suddenly Caitlin comes around and Bruce Jenner wants to be in the bathroom with your 14 year old daughter and people were, rightfully, upset. So being tied to Trans has hurt gay people.

by Anonymousreply 3January 31, 2017 2:42 PM

And all the invocations of el-jibbity while making L, G and B step aside while T gets all the attention (especially G) tends to contribute to that effect, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4January 31, 2017 2:44 PM

a bridge too far, too soon. . .

by Anonymousreply 5January 31, 2017 2:44 PM

[quote]How are trans to blame for an anti-gay religious order by the right?

Well it certainly isn't gay people's fault they hate gay people.

by Anonymousreply 6January 31, 2017 2:44 PM

Probably, OP. The trans thing is too much for them.

by Anonymousreply 7January 31, 2017 2:46 PM

r3

So that's the media's fault for hyping Caitlyn and using trans for views and controversy. Many everyday trans people hated that attention they got, so I hear. We let the media get off too easy.

by Anonymousreply 8January 31, 2017 3:00 PM

The fight for gay rights ultimately had little effect on the lives of straight people. It wouldn't impact them in any way for gay people to seek marriage licenses, so it was easy for them to show their support.

But the trans rights movement ultimately does affect them. It infiltrated their lives, their bathrooms, and attempted to completely deconstruct language in a way that seemed to benefit a tiny portion of the population. If you attempt to redefine gender as something a doctor assigns you at birth, it's going to raise some eyebrows.

Gay rights also benefited from years of people knowing gay people and understanding that the negative stereotypes were inaccurate. The trans rights movement went at warp speed from promoting visibility to demanding their agenda. It would be equivalent to gay and lesbian people demanding marriage right after Ellen came out in the nineties.

It also had to do with temperament. Gay people were mostly understanding of the adjustment that some people have to go through to change their positions on something, and LGBs were supportive and helpful in this regard. Trans people did not show this sort of tolerance towards the other side. If someone accidentally called a six foot tall man with an Adam's apple she, the trans militia did everything in their power to attack and destroy their livelihood.

Their obnoxious vigilience turned off a lot of people, created a backlash, and ultimately alienating a great deal of their allies.

I'm sure a lot of people on this forum had a more positive impression of trans people roughly ten years ago.

by Anonymousreply 9January 31, 2017 3:02 PM

OP is stupid

by Anonymousreply 10January 31, 2017 3:05 PM

It took decades for gay people to get any kind of a foothold in society as anything other than accessories of vain heterosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 11January 31, 2017 3:06 PM

I think it just went to fast. I also think seeing kids on TV (under 18) taking hormones so they wouldn't go through puberty for an easier transition really freaked some people out. The bathroom thing also freaked some people out.

Heck, I'm a lesbian and if I'm in a bathroom at target I get a little nervous and look through the stall crack to make sure a man isn't coming in the bathroom - I just get nervous.

I have nothing against the trans community - but can't we just make single bathrooms if we are going to pass these laws? That way everyone has privacy and feels safe using the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 12January 31, 2017 3:14 PM

It's a useful (to fundies and the alt-right) divisive issue. I bet you that if you surveyed the people who voted for Trump, 95% of them don't give a shit about the trans issue and bathrooms one way or the other. It reads like one of those Reddit memes. In 2008 and 2012, they tried to pit the gay/lesbian community against the minorities, against straight women, etc.

by Anonymousreply 13January 31, 2017 3:37 PM

I could not possibly add anything to R9, who sums it up perfectly, except maybe that the association of homosexuality with gender dysphoria (which is what transgender basically is) also helps to perpetuate the stereotype of the gay person as trapped in the body of the opposite sex and therefore not a real man (or woman).

Since this issue started getting pushed in the media in the last couple of years, I've had arguments with people who were previously accepting of my sexuality, who have distanced themselves because they dont understand the issue, they don't want to get in trouble and possibly lose their jobs by expressing discomfort or other reservations while asking questions so their solution has been to pull away.

I agree totally with R9's last sentence in that we seem to have actually moved backwards on this issue thanks to militant activists and that where 10 years ago I might have been sympathetic ( while still not feeling this is anything to do with me ) now I'm hostile and resentful of how these people have hijacked the gay cause and in doing so are jeopardizing rights that took us 50 years to gain.

I don't entirely agree that the religious right is pushing trans as a way to undo those gains. I think there's some of that in play, but it's more of a reaction on the part of straight people who had finally come around to our point of view aND supported marriage and employment rights after being assured that this was all we wanted and it wasn't a cover for more radical agenda. Now these same people have daughters who are forced to either undress in front of people with male genitalia or quit swim team and they no longer trust us.

by Anonymousreply 14January 31, 2017 4:50 PM

Apart from religious loons, gay people have almost no effect on average straight people's lives. Trans have changed all that by insisting that women accommodate them in spaces that they shouldn't be. Hetero men dislike their women being threatened too, so will stand up to it.

Then they get told that they're 'deplorable' for not liking men getting undressed next to their wives and children in changing rooms. Also, everyone needs to change their language and accept the chemical and surgical sterilisation of children too young to even have sex.

Sorry, did nobody expect a backlash? It's not a backlash against gay people, but all the time you allow yourselves to be lumped together with the trans movement, you will experience the anger aimed at them. The media are currently portraying it that gay people are just secret trans, which is patently wrong, but there's no gay voices saying otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 15February 1, 2017 6:27 AM

Unfortunately, there are some people who would rather their children be mutilated than to grow up and be gay. Also, some people may transition because of there own internalized homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 16February 1, 2017 7:34 AM

You are correct, OP -- the Ts hate us.

Look who our leaders are now: Jenny Boylan and Caitlyn Jenner. Let that sink in...two white, straight men are the. Let famous representatives of the gay community.

If gender doesn't matter, then why even change genders?

It's impossible to change sex but they think otherwise, and that men can not only be women, but actually speak for women. It's insane.

T is for Trojan Horse. They enforce the oppressive patriarchy. They are our enemy. They are wiping us out.

And yeah we will be blamed for them. A republican at work said the reason why "transboys" are now allowed in the Boy Scouts is because of gays. They think we are the same...gays and Ts.

The Ts want to keep us in the fringes and out of mainstream acceptance. They want gays to be under the same sex freak umbrella as the Ts, BDSMs, kinks, pedos....that's why they renamed us "queer".

We will never be accepted as normal as long as we are united with men who think they are women and want the whole world to change to accommodate their delusion. And they want girly boys and tomboys to undergo surgery to look more like their opposite sex...rather than just accept and love them as they are.

by Anonymousreply 17February 1, 2017 9:56 AM

Look who our leaders are now: Jenny Boylan and Caitlyn Jenner. Let that sink in...two white, straight men are the most famous representatives of the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 18February 1, 2017 9:57 AM

There is no T backlash...only gay. We are the ones who lose because of them. They had nothing to lose but a delusion.

And now gay Rights will be set back because of the Ts who were always anti-gay to begin with.

Trojan Horses are ingenious.

by Anonymousreply 19February 1, 2017 10:12 AM

Bruce Jenner / Caitlyn is not straight. He'll be dating men soon.

by Anonymousreply 20February 1, 2017 10:25 AM

Way to miss the point. Bruce was quite famously married to 3 women.

by Anonymousreply 21February 1, 2017 11:58 AM

The trans community had the attitude that we're going to shove these changes down your throat whether you like it or not. The trans leadership has a very straight male mentality. They didn't want to bother with the slow process of educating the public, building consensus and making allies beyond their base. They don't care about what women think yet without women their movement won't be successful in the long-term.

The trans movement also suffers from an image problem. Caitlyn Jenner used to go into his stepdaughter's room and try on her clothes without her knowledge. Zoey Tur threatened a man and put his hands around the guy's neck on live TV. While the most sympathetic trans women are the ones who seem like gay males, the face of the trans movement is straight white males like Jenner, Tur and Boylan.

Because these straight, white male-types turn people off, the trans movement has turned its attention to promoting the stories of trans children 24/7 thinking this will garner sympathy. But it's just turning off more people. Adults want to hear from other sane, functioning adults about this complicated issue. But there is no trans Anderson Cooper or Ellen DeGeneres who can connect with a wider audience.

by Anonymousreply 22February 1, 2017 3:50 PM

This Texas mayor who just came out as transgender is another example of the straight male-type variety of transgender.

This is exactly the type of transwoman that women don't want to meet in a bathroom, shower or locker room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 1, 2017 4:00 PM

R22 puts it very nicely.

Straight male mentality aggressively forcing their demands down our throats wanting to act all girly in a way even today's mature women don't act.

Like they're stuck in some Hollywood 50's movie mentality of how women should dress.

Only they do it with balls.

Literally.

by Anonymousreply 24February 1, 2017 4:04 PM

I can't blame them for a religion's actions, but I can blame them for trying to push the agenda's mentioned in r9 's wonderful response. I also hold the view that they might not belong with the LGB community, given the differences in our agendas.

by Anonymousreply 25February 1, 2017 4:05 PM

'Act' being the important word. THEY decide that women must accommodate their dress up games, not understanding that they're a parody of women, which is insulting.

The one that invaded a ladies loo I was in was dressed like a fifties housewife in a bad wig and sat there for ages dabbing powder on his big man-nose while watching people come in and out. It was really intimidating.

by Anonymousreply 26February 1, 2017 4:08 PM

Of course, this mayor was pushing for access to female bathrooms even before coming out as trans:

The state legislators are hunkering down and waiting for the issue to go away. And this will work… as long as they keep the public scared. Scared of men in dresses - also known as perverts and rapists.  Their mistake is not accounting for transmen, which they treat tike unicorns, mythical creatures that you never encounter.  They sold their supporters on an image of a scary, unfeminine man in a bad dress with even worst makeup, intent on molesting anything it can find in the bathroom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 1, 2017 4:10 PM

The biggest threats to trans are make violence, homelessness, poverty and suicide. What do their activists demand as top priority? Getting men in dresses into female bathrooms, and abusing lesbians for not fucking them.

by Anonymousreply 28February 1, 2017 4:27 PM

*That's male violence, not "make".

by Anonymousreply 29February 1, 2017 4:29 PM

Conflating the homosexual equality movement with gender dysphoria is damaging to both constituencies.

It negatively reinforces that old canard that gay men are women trapped in a man's body.

It also suggests that trans folk are some variation of homosexual.

Including the T in GLBT is just awful, awful, awful branding and messaging, however it's what we're left with because, after marriage equality was settled, GLAAD employees cannot reliably extract a salary without a cause to generate donations.

by Anonymousreply 30February 1, 2017 6:00 PM

What is the plural of TRANS? 2 TRANSES? 3 Trans? Or 4 TRANSESES?

by Anonymousreply 31February 1, 2017 6:17 PM

transerim

by Anonymousreply 32February 1, 2017 6:27 PM

Once again, in the article at R23, the conflation of gay people with trans:

"Although openly gay and lesbian people have held public office in Texas for decades, X is the first transgender blah blabity blah"

NOTHING

TO.

DO.

WITH.

EACH.

OTHER.

by Anonymousreply 33February 1, 2017 7:25 PM

R31, a gathering of more than 3 is a Complaint of Trans.

by Anonymousreply 34March 2, 2017 4:26 AM

BUMPDITTYBUMPBUMPBUMP

by Anonymousreply 35March 2, 2017 4:27 AM

[quote]So that's the media's fault for hyping Caitlyn and using trans for views and controversy. Many everyday trans people hated that attention they got, so I hear. We let the media get off too easy.

If many "everyday" trans people hated the attention, why aren't they speaking against this shit? It's the same with moderate Muslims that say nothing against extremists, because either they don't care or they're secretely happy of the actions of the lunatics.

by Anonymousreply 36March 2, 2017 6:51 AM

The right is on the right side of history in this matter.

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2018 3:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!