Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hygge: Cult of the Cradled Mug

Why have American frauen not picked up on this? Too furreign, or is it because they know they'd have to hygge alone while DH is working late....again. UK frauen are obsessed with it, so what's the holdup? Winter is almost over.

[quote]“My husband Konrad and I also have a huge bed – three mattresses pushed together on pallets. Sometimes we curl up there to watch a film, all together, and the kids will come in and join us in the morning for a chat,” she says.

[quote]“Sitting in my favourite spot in my apartment in Copenhagen – on the windowsill where I’ve added pillows and blankets – and drinking a coffee, watching the amber glow from every apartment across the courtyard. Even better if I’ve picked up a cinnamon bun on the way home.”

[quote]Create a hyggekrog: A “hygge corner” is an enclosed secure space in the corner of a room with cushions and a sheepskin blanket or bean bag or a comfortable seat in a bay window. “It’s the place in the room where you love to snuggle up with a book, a blanket and a cup of tea,” explains Meik.

[quote]“They celebrate the softness that comes with darkness,” says Louisa. “To stand at a window, wrapped in the half dark and watch the day disappear behind the building opposite is a moment of hygge. Lighting a lantern on the doorstep at dusk is also popular. It marks the threshold between inside and outside and day and night.”

[quote]“An old tablecloth and tealights in jam jars can transform an ordinary occasion into an experience that holds us together long after the candles have been blown out,” she adds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 7, 2018 4:30 PM

Wrong link; the quotes came from this one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 30, 2017 9:58 PM

Jesus H. Christ!

by Anonymousreply 2January 30, 2017 10:04 PM

Window hyggekrog

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 30, 2017 10:11 PM

So it's a choreographed IKEA moment?

by Anonymousreply 4January 30, 2017 10:13 PM

I have a great new trend for these people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 30, 2017 10:16 PM

Hygge feet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 30, 2017 10:17 PM

I can't believe how long that article is! My eyes glazed over 2/3 of the way through. It doesn't seem like it should be that complicated.

by Anonymousreply 7January 30, 2017 10:18 PM

I miss my Aunt Hygge

by Anonymousreply 8January 30, 2017 10:18 PM

The best part of waking up

Is wearing Ingrid's AAA cups.

by Anonymousreply 9January 30, 2017 10:32 PM

It would be dreadful if they accidentally fell from the window while fluffing an embroidered pillow.

by Anonymousreply 10January 30, 2017 10:44 PM

Curse you, OP. How the hig are we supposed to forget this?

by Anonymousreply 11January 30, 2017 10:55 PM

Madam, jarring colors aren't allowed in the hyggekrog. Please see the attendant for a pair of beige loaner leggings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 30, 2017 11:03 PM

Hygge was a minor sensation in 2010; since then everyone has forgotten how to pronounce it.

by Anonymousreply 13January 30, 2017 11:10 PM

Can I keep my pumpkin spice or is that not allowed?

by Anonymousreply 14January 30, 2017 11:14 PM

Relax.There will always be a place for pumpkin spice.

by Anonymousreply 15January 30, 2017 11:18 PM

The guy who runs the ad agency we employ, who has never met a trend he did not wholeheartedly embrace, was posting about this last week.

But while I am surprised it is not a bigger frau thing, I'd say give it a few months OP

by Anonymousreply 16January 30, 2017 11:20 PM

Do basically it's sitting on a couch with some pillows on it while drinking coffee and wearing socks, yeah?

by Anonymousreply 17January 30, 2017 11:34 PM

Hygge enuff 4 ya?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2017 9:37 AM

Hygge is passe OP. The books and shops have come and gone. It didn't fill their souls. The frau herd have grazed and moved on.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2017 9:44 AM

The concepts as laid out in OP’s posts, such as embracing the transition from light to dark by lighting a lantern, are far too complex for the American frau. She has other things on her mind, such as trying to find the latest outrage bestowed upon her children (that nasty gay waiter at the Olive Garden REFUSED to pick all all the basil leaves out of Emm’ErSyne’s and JaxXXcion’s marina sauce - the kiddos don’t eat anything green!)

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2017 10:02 AM

As R20 said...a major time investment is meetings with school officials to set up an "IEP" - individual education plan - for Ginnifer and Brayden , as they are "on the spectrum". They also have multiple food allergies, and it is a constant battle with the school to ensure that trigger foods are never served in the cafeteria.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2017 10:15 AM

I saw a book on this in a prominent display at a chain bookstore in Canada. So I don't know if it is over yet or the promotion is starting. Also fairly recently heard something on it on WNYC.

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2017 10:54 AM

R21 I know, right. So hard to be a mama bear to kiddos today! I strongly suggest you write an open letter on Facebook about the need for Ginnifer and Brayden’s IEP and the banning of ALL trigger foods from the cafeteria! That’s what I did about the Olive Garden incident. We got free meals for a month.

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2017 10:55 AM

Wait, Hygge isn't big in America? I thought fraus would hold on to such comfort trends like they hold on and cradle their mugs filled with hot tea, coffee, or chocolate?

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2017 10:57 AM

R22 I saw it a few months ago at a Books-a-Million and was like wtf is this shit 😕?

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2017 11:02 AM

Can't figure out if hygge is coming or going in Australia

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2017 11:04 AM

Digested Read of the follow-up to Hygge: Lykke!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2017 11:37 AM

So it's just a fancy term for being a lazy cunt, staying in your pyjamas all day and not making your bed?

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2017 12:40 PM

Hygge is most authentically practiced by tall, slim, blonde, stylish Sandinavians. When the average American does it, it just seems like cutesy sloth.

by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2017 1:25 PM

During long, cold, dark, dreary winters, you can either light candles and make a cosy nest, or do the American thing, and take more pharmaceuticals.

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2017 2:34 PM

All a Frau wants is to be taken care of.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2017 2:39 PM

The ugly face of American frauenhyggenism; this one read through all of the "tenants" of hygge in Dr. Oz's magazine and — OMG! — discovered there's a name for the way she has ALWAYS tried to live her life.

Some of Just Jennifer's tenants...

Unscented candles that speak to her heart

Bowls of pinecones "setting" around here and there

Invited guests cuddling up next to the fireplace and telling stories

A cozy little nook for reading and journaling

Doing the unthinkable and making Mommy Popcorn (i.e., not microwaved)

Bring back a "set-around" object and a Christmas ornament from every vacation

Cozy socks that say, "I'm loved."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2017 5:50 PM

Sometimes I wear fuzzy socks over my fuzzy socks so they know how wonderful my feet feel.

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2017 5:53 PM

I love nestling my mug of hot coffee with just a splash of Glogg in my lap in the window seat, and then touching the cold glass, gently drawing faces to smile at the town and the stars.

by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2017 5:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2017 6:01 PM

Amazon has some real winners:

Hygge Adult Coloring Book: A Book to Enjoy & Color for a Cozy, Simple, Happy Life

Paddywax Hygge Soy Wax Wild Fig and Cedar Candle in Pot with Copper Lid, 5 oz, Sage

#hygge HYGGE 5.5" x 2" Vinyl Decal Sticker Hashtag Danish Cozy Hyggeligt - - WHITE

Hygge Animal Face Hooded Woven Terry Baby Bath/Beach Towel- 100% Organic Cotton (Green Frog)

HYGGE LOGO49 Unisex Canvas Backpack School Bag Laptop Bag For Teens Girl Boy Student

Hygge West Julia Rothman For Nethercote Custom 2016 Newly Upgraded Surround Sound Gaming Headset Fashion Headset USB3.5

They've even got a new word for us, "Lagom." Lagom: Avoid Waste and Live a More Fulfilling Life by Adopting the Swedish Lifestyle Choice of “Just Enough”

Head Case Designs Soup Hygge Hard Back Case for Motorola Nexus 6 / Nexus X

Womens So Hygge It Hurts Lifestyle Statement T-shirt

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2017 6:14 PM

I’m really not sure I can embrace this foreign trend until there is a comforting, framed quote I can hang in my HooguhKorner

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2017 6:18 PM

Amazon has you covered, R37.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2017 6:21 PM

Oh thank you , R38! That will go nicely between “dance to the moon and back when no ones watching” and “ kids are God’s way of telling you to put the “gee!” in Jesus.”

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2017 6:28 PM

I am missing the requisite working fireplace, but really, who doesn't have a Nana-knit afghan or fuzzy blanket for couch sitting, and who doesn't light candles or have a string of twinkle lights at the ready thru the dreary winter months? I am already a homebody but as soon as gawd damned day light savings ends I am ready to start getting into my pajamas at about 5 and ready to sleep at 7 pm every night. It's like hibernation season has begun.

But I have my festive traditions, like an eggnog making party with pals near Thanksgiving for eggnog ready to drink at Christmas. Tell me that isn't some cozy, booze laden good cheer. Anyway, I cannot with the ski-theme patterns and leaping stags all over every fucking knit thing, that's the main difference between what the average US citizen cozies up with and this IKEA ugly sweater trend that tries to re-commodify what people already have and do.

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2017 6:33 PM

Hygge or not. There is something quite comforting binge watching a show or movie franchise on a rainy Sunday with a pot of hot tea and store brand buiscuits right next to you and wearing casual clothes and fleece lined crocs.

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2017 6:42 PM

Lagom is a totally different concept - but a much better concept.

You HAVE to embrace cold and dark in many ways if you live in Scandinavia. You have no choice. But people in other countries don't have to.

by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2017 7:00 PM

They promised me that if I hygged hard enough it would relieve my fibro.

Do I look relieved to you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2017 7:43 PM

Essential Cradling:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 16, 2017 12:34 AM

Even Kitty can get into the Act:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 16, 2017 12:35 AM

^ Oops wrong pic:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 16, 2017 12:35 AM

Kitty the Reader:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 16, 2017 12:36 AM

How DL hygges:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 16, 2017 5:16 AM

So a hyggekrog is a cozy nook that cradles you as you cradle your mug?

by Anonymousreply 49October 16, 2017 6:16 AM

R48 made me laugh and spew my grogg.

by Anonymousreply 50October 16, 2017 6:18 AM

Looks pretty boring and affected.

by Anonymousreply 51October 16, 2017 6:21 AM

Let's hear it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 16, 2017 8:08 AM

OMG: Even Reader's Digest is in on It...

[quote]This Swedish Tradition Is Your New Money Saver—and No, It’s Not Hygge

Less is more. All things in moderation. Leave it to the Swedes to come up with one word that embraces the concept of living peacefully and happily within your means.

Alexa Erickson CoffeeAlena Ozerova/ShutterstockYou may have noticed the word “hygge” coming up a lot in 2017, and even tried to incorporate it into your home and lifestyle. It’s the Danish ideal of “coziness”—and a great excuse to relish in warm, lumpy socks, decorate with fuzzy pillows, and have friends over instead of dine out in an accepting, tender environment. With winter right around the corner, you may want to brush up on hygge with this primer. Now the Swedes are flexing their Scandinavian influence with a new concept called “lagom”: It’s the Swedish concept of “not too much, not too little.”

Unlike hygge, which is a feeling, lagom is an ethos of moderation. Lagom is all about conscious unselfishness—the idea that we all have the responsibility not to overconsume so that there’s plenty to go around for everyone.

In her new book Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living, Niki Brantmark explains how to capture and embody lagom. Reuse and reclaim old items, for example. Be environmentally conscious and frugal. Use reclaimed wood for your next home upgrade, or purchase clothes from a thrift store.

Growing your own food is another way to practice lagom. And you don’t need a full garden: Herb boxes can allow you to grow fresh plants right in your kitchen and can help save you some money on your grocery bill each week. You can apply this to your diet, as well—eating in moderation captures the lagom spirit. Brantmark stresses the idea that we all have the responsibility to not overconsume. As lagom has it, there is enough to go around for everyone.

Clearly, the concept can be a money saver—by not always lusting after the latest fashions and technology and getting by with what you have, you could save thousands of dollars. Lagom can have a societal impact as well: Sweden has put the concept in practice through the embrace of wind, hydro, and solar sources of energy, which accounts for 52 percent of the electricity used, making Sweden the number one country in the world in its use of sustainable energy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 16, 2017 8:16 AM

[quote]How to 'Hygge Up' Your Home Decor for Less:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 16, 2017 8:17 AM

Ironically, Swedes invented IKEA and H & M, two purveyors of stuff that's cheap, abundant, and disposable. For other countries that can't be cool, tall, blonde, and Nordic.

by Anonymousreply 55October 16, 2017 1:06 PM

The family that hygges together . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 16, 2017 1:13 PM

I have heard of this, women love it!

by Anonymousreply 57June 25, 2018 1:13 AM

men do too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 25, 2018 2:55 AM

That's hot r58. Czech bisexuals love it too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 25, 2018 6:02 AM

R56= incest pit

by Anonymousreply 60June 25, 2018 6:12 AM

Of course this is popular in Nordic, or Scandinavian countries.

The dirty secret about those countries is that alcoholism is rampant, people are depressed, very high taxes, welfare countries in lots of debt, very high cancer rates, people are lazy and nothing gets done or you get shuffled to another bureaucracy, most people are on anti-depressants, and conformity is something that's part of the culture. If you think racism and hate groups in the United States are bad it's not nearly as bad in the USA, as it is in Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, and Iceland where white supremacy and neo Nazis are very popular.

by Anonymousreply 61June 25, 2018 6:57 AM

Scandinavian countries are also extremely expensive to live in.

by Anonymousreply 62June 25, 2018 7:00 AM

Yes, money is the most comforting thing of all.

by Anonymousreply 63June 25, 2018 11:47 AM

I haven't read the whole thread, but I have recently listened an interview with a Danish writer who said that 'hygge' was a big export item for Denmark, but what is exported is the superficial side of 'hygge': knitted socks, cups of cocoa, fireplace, laid back way of living, interior decoration...

In reality, she says, it's a social control system (her words). 'Hygge' is also about being in a good mood (when socializing), about keeping your problems to yourself. If your life is not going well, but you are visiting your family or friends and they want to be 'hygge', you will be expected not to complain or you will spoil the 'hygge', and you will be told so.

by Anonymousreply 64June 25, 2018 6:36 PM

sounds like mormonism

by Anonymousreply 65June 26, 2018 4:10 AM

That's interesting, R64. I know other cultures without the whole hygge thing that also enforce the social control aspect of putting on the happy face at gatherings and meals. You can always go home and brood, or talk about your problems in a more appropriate setting, but don't harsh peoples' mellow.

by Anonymousreply 66June 26, 2018 5:55 AM

Sounds cocoon-y.

by Anonymousreply 67June 26, 2018 7:09 AM

R64, Also Scandinavian countries while claiming to be very 'green' also have a lot of pollution, and the rampant alcoholism does not help either, hence the very high cancer rates.

by Anonymousreply 68June 26, 2018 7:14 AM

You can sneer, DL, but if the Scandis need warm socks and a mug of cocoa to get through the long, dark winters and deal with the obligation of forking over 75%+ of their income in various taxes, they are welcome to them.

by Anonymousreply 69June 26, 2018 7:49 AM

R69, most people who are able to left the Scandinavian countries decades ago and live elsewhere in Europe, or in North America instead, and only go back to visit family and friends.

by Anonymousreply 70June 27, 2018 2:47 AM

more of the usual bullshit, boris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 27, 2018 3:06 AM

Denmark, Sweden, and Norway are all in the Top 10 highest quality of life:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 27, 2018 8:03 AM

I missed this the first time so I'm glad some crazy bumper bumped it.

by Anonymousreply 73June 27, 2018 8:33 AM

[quote]They celebrate the softness that comes with darkness

Good god.

by Anonymousreply 74June 27, 2018 8:34 AM

Hey, Hygge Baby!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 27, 2018 8:48 AM

R72, Actually that's not true, people lie, and culturally it is very typical of Scandinavian people to claim that everything's great and fine when in reality it is not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 27, 2018 10:35 AM

Also R71, it turns out people are emigrating from Scandinavian countries in larger rates than they did decades before.

Citing figures from state-funded number crunchers Statistics Sweden (SCB), newspaper Dagens Nyheter reports that 55,830 people emigrated from the Nordic nation in 2015.

That is even more than during the height of Swedish mass emigration to the US in the 1800s, when poverty-stricken Swedes left in pursuit of a better life. The largest amount of people to leave in a single year during that time period was 50,786 in 1887.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77June 27, 2018 10:37 AM

Total Bullshit R77, in 1887, 1.1% of the Swedish population emigrated

In 2017, .45% of the population emigrated

between 1887 and 2017 the population of sweden more than doubled (from 4.7m to 10.1m) while the actual number of swedes leaving the county dropped by 10% (from 50k to 45k)

by Anonymousreply 78June 27, 2018 8:23 PM

R78, that does not change the facts that a lot of Swedes are leaving Sweden, and emigrating elsewhere, and that the Scandinavian countries are horrible places to live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 27, 2018 9:01 PM

I am from NZ and would never emigrate to any of the Scandinavian countries. The UK or Spain, maybe but not the Nordic countries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 27, 2018 9:01 PM

The four happiest countries in the world are all Nordic, with Sweden "trailing" at a mere 10th place ranking.

USA USA USA! is 18th, but I'm sure the "Make America Shitty Again" campaign will cause that ranking to plunge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 6, 2018 5:14 PM

I like the idea of creating some peace and harmony in your home to get away from all the dark, gritty drama and also to get away anything Trump related. Even when it's just for a little while.

by Anonymousreply 82July 6, 2018 6:33 PM

My idea of hygge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 6, 2018 6:41 PM

Whilst working as a carer five years ago, the office manger, a young thirties Swedish woman told me that she left Sweden as a 16 yr to experience the London. She lived in a then shithole tower block on the Harrow Road in London and she preferred it! I asked her why and she said that Sweden has a culture of conformity that she knew at the age of 12 she couldn't get down with. Women, for all the supposed equality are expected to have children. Aspirations towards owning a summer house and so on and so on. She equated the culture to "middle class English "naice" culture" where "revelling" in being a member of the "mediating class" is expected without any self reflection. In other words "if it's good enough for us, it's good enough for everybody". I did get the distinct impression that she thought Sweden was beautiful and boring as hell and not a little misogynistic. I am sure "hygge" and the like is what she ran away from. That coupled with darkness half the year is not for everybody, I expect.

by Anonymousreply 84July 6, 2018 7:40 PM

[quote] I am sure "hygge" and the like is what she ran away from.

To me it sounds like she's running towards a High On Life lifestyle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 6, 2018 8:24 PM

Doesn’t everyone already hygge? It’s called a sofa with a throw. Aren’t we doing this when we relax on the sofa with a book and a blanket?

by Anonymousreply 86July 6, 2018 8:39 PM

The woman that wrote that shit sounds pretentious as hell and all of that stuff is done by women and families around the world. No one needs a book about it..

by Anonymousreply 87July 6, 2018 9:12 PM

And then they go and watch dark crime shows about bodies sawn in half and left on the bridge or psychopathic pedophiliac serial killers.

by Anonymousreply 88July 6, 2018 10:23 PM

all that happiness will eventually get to you . (like mormonism) need that occasional downer ('oh please, let me be bad, just this once")

by Anonymousreply 89July 6, 2018 10:27 PM

R84, do you mean about how comfortable, well off, and rich people from the UK vacation in the French Rivera? Or how they try to be very posh and snobby?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90July 7, 2018 1:26 AM

When I lived in the Netherlands, there were two words of approbation I heard constantly - 'deftig' and 'gezellig'. Deftig roughly means 'respectable' - decent, right-thinking.

Gezellig means cosy, and it was the quality they looked for in interior design and restaurants. There were a lot of photos of this and everyone saw it as a desirable quality. Because of the long, dark winters, the interior environment was very important.

by Anonymousreply 91July 7, 2018 7:39 AM

R91, if you lived in the Netherlands you must know how the Dutch love their conformity/normalcy the way the Scandinavians do.

Doe maar normaal is a common saying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 7, 2018 3:41 PM

I think hygge is more than just cradling a mug. It's setting up an oasis where you leave all the shit that bothers you outside and calm the fuck down. Call me crazy, but I believe people become suicidal, because they carry all this emotional baggage around and don't have the opportunity to take their load off every now and then and, as a result, start to think "hang on, why do I put all this baggage back on when I leave this peaceful state (of mind)? What do I have to do in order to get rid of all that stupid baggage that makes me feel like shit without doing something extreme like hurting / killing others or myself?".

by Anonymousreply 93July 7, 2018 4:03 PM

r93 so it's basically a Danish man-cave (or woman-cave)

by Anonymousreply 94July 7, 2018 4:04 PM

r94, you could go so far and call it SAFE SPACE.

by Anonymousreply 95July 7, 2018 4:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!