Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I am baffled as to how guys get muscular

I've been going to the gym FOREVER. I have a medium-thin frame. I lift weights.

I have never gotten particularly muscular. Sure, I'm trim and fit, but no bulging muscles.

What's the secret??

by Anonymousreply 138April 10, 2021 8:31 AM

You have to eat.

Want to lose weight? It starts with your diet.

Want to gain weight? It starts with your diet.

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2017 9:10 PM

They juice. Don't let anybody otherwise. 45% of my gym uses. It's not diet, it's not work out plans, it's drugs. Motice how they get huge, then shrink, then huge (two weeks later) then shrink. Drugs.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2017 9:10 PM

OP, a diet of second-hand spunk isn't going to help you.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2017 9:10 PM

*tell you

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2017 9:10 PM

Some people just have naturally less capacity to bulk up, I think. Wiry frames. And yes, lack of 'roid abuse.

Bulky is ugly anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2017 9:13 PM

Trim and toned is hotter, OP. Save your heart and your face, and just keep at what you've been doing.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2017 9:16 PM

If you really want to bulk up you probably will need chemical help.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2017 9:17 PM

Thorazine enemas

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2017 9:20 PM

Genetics is a YUGE component too.

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2017 9:20 PM

Most guys you see on insta get steroid help, don't be foolish into thinking they're all natural.

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2017 9:22 PM

People think they can just show up at the gym and go through the motions and they are going to turn into a big muscle dude. I would suggest a trainer OP. One who really knows what he is doing. I've been working out for a long time, I decided to finally get a trainer and it's amazing the difference. He has corrected the tiniest of things that have made a huge difference. You also really have to push past the pain barrier and tear down the muscle so it can grow bigger with rest. It's a science, you can't just show up.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2017 9:25 PM

Before going to the gym, make a smoothie of greek yogurt, kale, spinach, a Stella McCartney gown and cyan pepper. Chug it, then shove a Faberge egg up your asshole. You'll be clean bulking in no time!

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2017 9:25 PM

BS. I was startled by how quickly I changed my body when I first began working out. Diet is very important, but equally so are intensity of the workout. If you lack intensity, go home. Also as important is correct form, Don't sacrifice form for show-off heavy weights. Make sure your routine is sound, ie which exercises, workout schedule etc. It feels so good when you realize you have so much control over how you look and feel.

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2017 9:28 PM

Your workout buddies are probably fatties, OP.

After a muscle-building workout, you should be so weak you crawl back to the locker room. That's how you notice that nacreous layer of perma-cum all over the floor.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2017 9:34 PM

Make sure you're eating at least 1 gram of protein per pound of your body fat every day.

That's difficult to do with normal meat servings at meals. Most bodybuilders have to use supplements, and I recommend pure whey protein without a lot of sugar/additives.

If you're still not getting results, increase to 1.5 grams of protein every day for each pound you weigh.

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2017 9:39 PM

All eating does is get you fat. All intensity training does is get you hurt. Steroids are what most gym rats are using and anything else they claim is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2017 9:42 PM

The muscular guys I know are constantly ingesting protein. And taking steroids.

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2017 9:43 PM

Great attitude R16

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2017 9:44 PM

OP, I'm with you - no mass after years of working out - I'm 6'1"/170lbs. I'm not a freak about the weight I press or lift; push myself to some extant and take a weekly Body Pump class (which I effing LOVE).

Here's the deal though... I'll be 55 in March andI don't have a gut. I know that I'm stronger than I look (I've surprised friends when helping them move or working in the yard with what I can lift). Also, you (like me) probably wear clothes well and look good in a suit. If you don't, go to men's store and get fitted for the appropriate sizes and cuts.

Enjoy the genes you were given man - you're not fat, you're fit, can take off your shirt at the beach and know you're sexy.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2017 9:45 PM

Wrong, r16. Even with steroids, you can't gain muscle without lifting HARD and eating LOTS. Heavy protein intake from supplements is CRUCIAL.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2017 9:45 PM

Same here. I'm 6' 6" tall with a thin frame. I used to take the Whey protein but after it started to cause arrhythmia, I stopped taking it. Unhealthy shit.

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2017 9:52 PM

R19, I'm just like you. Fit and slim--never got big but definitely strong

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2017 10:04 PM

R15, you're giving incorrect b.s. information. Let's see if you can figure it out...

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2017 10:12 PM

R16 -Eeyore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2017 11:14 PM

OP look into Crossfit classes. You'll get muscular naturally in your chest arms and legs. Also when doing free weights. Go with 3 sets of higher weights and less reps til you burn out.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2017 11:14 PM

More of a Debbie Downer R24.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2017 11:24 PM

Your body doesn't want muscle. You have to start from that understanding. So, if you don't work out very hard in every session - nothing is going to happen. The only reason you (or guys on steroids - because steroids don't work on their own) build muscle is because exercise with heavy weights is creating 1000s of micro-tears in the muscle fiber and then muscles are rebuilding themselves to be bigger.

The muscle fibers have no reason to do this if you do not work hard enough to create those micro-tears (e.g., if you just lift an average weight and stop when you are tired - the most important rep is the last one after you are exhausted...which is why a trainer is helpful). Your body has nothing to repair the muscle tears with if you don't eat 150-200g of protein a day, and then you'll just be more tired and unable to continue. Carbs help too...despite how much they are demonized.

Steroids don't work without the necessary exercise, and they don't improve performance as much as people on here are suggesting. You can see the steroid users on various websites and many of them have bodies that are pretty unremarkable. All of your gains are gone within weeks, once you go off of them too. Your body does not want to keep muscle around. It's metabolically active and very "expensive" in terms of the amount of calories you have to feed it to maintain it. Simple things like creatine can give you quick results, though that is just putting more water in your muscle, and not much actual muscle tissue - though supposedly it increases performance.

Last, where do you store fat? If you store it around your pecs, you'll never really have defined muscular pecs without losing that fat. Likewise, if you have thick and heavy skin on your arms with flab, it will be much harder to get any definition there even if your bicep curls are 50 lbs. (which is what "fit fat" means, though nobody ever uses that term correctly). Fit fat = very strong / high body fat percentage.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2017 11:24 PM

Are you a woman?

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2017 11:25 PM

I'm ALL woman R28!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2017 11:27 PM

The steroid users quickly develop BB balls.

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2017 11:33 PM

Let's see you contest me if you have a problem with what I said, r23.

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2017 11:33 PM

[quote]1 gram of protein per pound of your body fat every day.

per pound of your body fat?

I assume that is what his issue was.

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2017 11:35 PM

Then yes, excuse me, I meant "1 gram of protein per pound of your body WEIGHT."

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2017 11:37 PM

So to put this in more action-oriented context OP:

R27 is correct. The way to put on muscle is to eat protein. Most people do not eat enough.

Assuming you are indeed working out hard, the best way to do that is with protein shakes and bars. Quest and Optimum Nutrition are good brands, sold on Amazon and in GNC.

Get a pre-workout drink too -- something with aminos in it.

I'm a fan of creatine, but not everyone is-- you can just put it in your post-workout shake.

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2017 11:38 PM

Be careful of your liver R34.

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2017 11:42 PM

What would affect my liver R35?

by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2017 11:43 PM

[quote] I am baffled as to how guys get muscular

Have you tried gamma rays?

by Anonymousreply 37January 24, 2017 11:45 PM

Creatine.

by Anonymousreply 38January 24, 2017 11:47 PM

Creatine has been studied forever... it doesn't affect the liver. It's not a steroid. Oral steroids cause problems with the liver which is why most guys inject them anyway.

by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2017 11:49 PM

Okay R39. Keep consuming. Please.

by Anonymousreply 40January 24, 2017 11:50 PM

Focus on your health, not appearance. Being healthy is extremely attractive.

by Anonymousreply 41January 24, 2017 11:59 PM

Try practicing the piano too OP and learn French.

And always make sure your hair is combed and you wear deodorant.

by Anonymousreply 42January 25, 2017 12:15 AM

R35 -Clueless.

"In 2004 the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) published a record which stated that oral long-term intake of 3 g pure creatine per day is risk-free.[21] A 2003 study on athletes who took creatine for 21 months found no significant changes in markers of renal function;[22] a 2008 study on athletes who took creatine for 3 months found no evidence of kidney damage during that time.[23] A review found creatine to have no effects on liver of kidney function in over months of supplementation in both young and old population. However authors still cautioned against using high doses(>3g-5g) in those with impaired kidney functioning, and suggested further studies are needed relating to claims of mutagenicity and carcinogenicity.[24]" (Wiki)

by Anonymousreply 43January 25, 2017 12:29 AM

Thanks R43.

by Anonymousreply 44January 25, 2017 12:31 AM

R33, still wrong. It's not grams of protein per pound of body weight, it's per kg of body weight. Big difference. Apologize to all those kidneys you ruined.

by Anonymousreply 45January 25, 2017 12:38 AM

Juice juice juice. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 46January 25, 2017 12:46 AM

Eat more protein, drink water, take creatine, use a pre-workout like NOxplode (don't use more than one or two scoops though), drink protein shakes after you work out. Strengthen your core, use good form. Split body parts and follow one of the mass gaining workouts from Men's Health or similar, and change it up every few months.

Don't listen to the idiots who say everyone who has muscle is on steroids. You don't need them to get bigger or gain muscle. Yeah some people do it because it's easier to gain muscle but you still have to work out a lot regardless and they aren't good for your body longer term.

CrossFit will not build muscle like regular weight training will and it will put you at higher risk for injury so I wouldn't use that for mass gaining.

by Anonymousreply 47January 25, 2017 2:50 AM

Except r15 said to eat enough protein before r27, r34.

I feel Rodney fucking Dangerfield today.

by Anonymousreply 48January 25, 2017 2:52 AM

I'm sure you look great OP. It's probably just genetic.

by Anonymousreply 49January 25, 2017 2:55 AM

R15 - " If you're still not getting results, increase to 1.5 grams of protein every day for each pound you weigh."

Wrong! It's kilograms.

by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2017 2:58 AM

Dear r45,

These "rules" are subjective and depend on the individual. 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight every day is true enough to the majority of bodybuilders and fitness experts in America to set the standard.

If the OP is having trouble adding muscle, he shouldn't be taking advice for the lower protein recommendation. And even then, if 1 gram per body pound still isn't giving him gains, he needs to try 1.5 grams.

I actually used to only take .5 grams per pound of body weight, which is close to the 1 gram/1 body kilogram ratio. But when I bumped it up to the American standard, I DOUBLED my muscle weight gains without adding fat. I got much bigger and stronger.

One person's experience won't apply to everyone, however. The OP will have to experiment, like all the big bodybuilders do. You'll have plenty of time to try different things.

by Anonymousreply 51January 25, 2017 3:03 AM

Whoa R47-- there is a fuckload of caffeine in NoXplode.

Two scoops of that is like 500 mg!!

If you go there OP, start with a half scoop unless you are a major coffee drinker to begin with

by Anonymousreply 52January 25, 2017 3:09 AM

^^The ON Amino pre only has 100 mg in 2 scoops. Might be a better choice if you are not a big caffeine guy. NOxplode has 275 mg in just one scoop

by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2017 3:12 AM

One creatine study? Okay! Keep consuming. I want you too. The more the better. Take care.

by Anonymousreply 54January 25, 2017 3:12 AM

I don't like Creatine because it makes a lot of guys look fat and puffy -- including myself.

Creatine is not muscle gain -- it is water gain. Yes, it gives you bigger mass pretty fast. But it obscures definition. I think it only looks good on skinny, lean guys with high definition and metabolism to begin with.

OP, if you're as lean as you say you are, Creatine is worth trying. But just remember, definition is probably more popular with people than mass, especially in the abdominal area.

If you're one of the lucky few who was born with ab definition, DO NOT cover that shit up!

by Anonymousreply 55January 25, 2017 3:13 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present... The Creatine Troll!!!

Performing nightly here at the Data Lounge, along with the Poo Shoes Detective and Hillary Clinton Hallelujah Chorus!!1

by Anonymousreply 56January 25, 2017 3:15 AM

This guy will tell you how

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 25, 2017 3:15 AM

Fucking brilliant book R57!

His father is a well-known sociologist-- Paul Fussell who wrote the classic "Class" book back in the 70s or 80s.

I read the book you linked to in college. Should re-read, it's very funny and very well written IIRC

by Anonymousreply 58January 25, 2017 3:18 AM

The OP didn't ask to become a competitive bodybuilder, with all the dehydration, health risks and weakness that can cause.

He just wants to gain muscle mass. There's no indication he even cares about definition like competitive physique judges.

by Anonymousreply 59January 25, 2017 3:25 AM

Really, r58? I love "Class," it was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 60January 25, 2017 3:26 AM

Most people trying to gain weight [italic]think[/italic] they eat enough, but they really don't.

by Anonymousreply 61January 25, 2017 3:27 AM

I use SuperHD pre-workout pills, which have 435 mgs of caffeine -- if I can take it by 2 pm and hit the gym shortly thereafter (because it will keep you up all night).

It's awesome -- it lets me lift more than ever.

by Anonymousreply 62January 25, 2017 3:28 AM

It was indeed R60

Fussell the Younger is an Ivy-educated grad student type who becomes addicted to weightlifting much to his father's chagrin. His take on it is what makes the book so charming.

by Anonymousreply 63January 25, 2017 3:28 AM

R59, the author of the book didn't plan on becoming a competitive bodybuilder either. He was a skinny dork just like OP. But the book answers the OP's question, and then some. The mere fact that OP is posting because he craves more result than he can get through simple honest effort shows he is at least a bit competitive.

by Anonymousreply 64January 25, 2017 3:31 AM

R51 - Stop. Can you use the internet to look up basic facts? Looks up grams of protein and kilograms. More, important, look up how much protein can be absorbed and what helps it be absorbed. You are to muscle information as what Maury Povitch is to journalism.

by Anonymousreply 65January 25, 2017 3:36 AM

round the clock maintenance

also, being short and italian seems to help

by Anonymousreply 66January 25, 2017 3:50 AM

No, I've done plenty of research, have been trained by certified trainers and nutritionists, listened to other weightlifters' anecdotes and seen what works with my body.

You use the internet to prove there is only one, exact measure of protein for muscle gain and it works for everybody.

The OP needs to be erring on the side of protein ABUNDANCE until he sees gains.

I tried 1 gram/1 body kilogram and it wasn't enough for me. 1 gram/1 body pound was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67January 25, 2017 4:01 AM

Step 1: get HIV Step 2: convince doc to prescribe steroids

by Anonymousreply 68January 25, 2017 4:04 AM

R68, I know someone who got really cut and that's why. He said he never had pecs until his doctor gave him new stuff to counteract the effects of HIV.

by Anonymousreply 69January 25, 2017 1:31 PM

Eat and regularly lift heavy. Lift at least four to five times per week

by Anonymousreply 70May 9, 2018 11:07 AM

Focus on your health, not your appearance. Being healthy feels good. And being healthy is the biggest turn-on to other people.

by Anonymousreply 71May 9, 2018 11:15 AM

Bottom for a really muscular guy, but don't use condoms. The protein from his semen will transfer muscle potential to you.

by Anonymousreply 72May 9, 2018 11:29 AM

I think a lot of it is genetics as to how big you can get. How do some guys get so muscular in prison? I can't imagine they are getting 200+ grams of protein every day from the 3 trays of food in the cafeteria (which probably averages about 20g per meal if that). Even if they are eating extra, you can't get that many grams of protein from basic food without adding greek yogurt,egg whites,whey/other supplements etc.

I could be totally wrong though.

by Anonymousreply 73May 9, 2018 11:33 AM

I am 50. I have been taking some creatine dialy, not too much about a teaspoon and a little more after workouts and I have noticed a difference in my physique. I am like you OP, naturally thin with a small frame. 5'11" 158. My friend is a Personal Trainer and he recommended it. I actually look better than I have in a while. I have also been doing more cross fit training and with weights no more than 25lbs.

by Anonymousreply 74May 9, 2018 12:10 PM

CReatine works.

by Anonymousreply 75May 9, 2018 12:14 PM

Just be sure you drink a lot of water. Creatine and protein can be hard on your kidneys without it.

by Anonymousreply 76May 9, 2018 12:16 PM

Whoever upthread dismissed the creatine study because it was "one study" is incorrect. See the link below, which is based on a white paper that surveyed 200 studies finding creatine was safe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 9, 2018 1:05 PM

A LOT of them do juice. You would be surprised. So don't feel bad. I am big and beefy now but it took 10 years of working out and eating LOTS of food. So much food my stomach would hurt. Bulk up during winter. Pig out and get a little chubby while working out so the food goes to the right places. You must workout until you are sore. If you are not sore then you are not growing. Constantly increase weight. Lean out in spring/summer. It takes a lot of food and a lot of work. It's exhausting and i hate it but i love being a muscle boy. Always and forever. 🏋

by Anonymousreply 78May 9, 2018 1:13 PM

A lot of it is genetics. I am short and have a gymnast's build. It's easy to build muscle if I put some effort into it.

by Anonymousreply 79May 9, 2018 1:20 PM

Steroids.

by Anonymousreply 80May 9, 2018 2:04 PM

Genetics are a part of it but you can defy them if work hard enough and eat enough. Trust me. I'm proof. Everyone thought i couldn't do it, but i did. All natural. It just takes longer and pain. No pain no gain.

by Anonymousreply 81May 9, 2018 3:18 PM

How much creatine should one take in a day?

by Anonymousreply 82May 9, 2018 3:22 PM

SteroĂŻd injections Op. Thread closed

by Anonymousreply 83May 9, 2018 3:27 PM

The problem is that, top stay muscular, you must keep eating lots and juicing. All the gains go away soon after you stop.

by Anonymousreply 84May 9, 2018 3:28 PM

Don't sacrifice your health for your appearance!

by Anonymousreply 85May 9, 2018 3:36 PM

I don't like creatine. I tried it once when i started and it gave me diarrhea. You don't have to juice. If you juice, then once you stop it all goes away. If you take your time and eat and continue working out for the rest of your life you will be fine. You have to build your new body and once you get it then you maintain it. My skinny body from my 20s is gone forever. I will never be that size again thank god. Like i said, it took me ten years to get the body i always wanted. Naturally. You have to eat, eat, eat everything and workout. 100 hundred pushups a day. Do squats, deadlifts, and everything. Ride bike, pull ups, yoga. You have to keep your muscles working and building doing new things. Confuse them and use them.

by Anonymousreply 86May 9, 2018 3:37 PM

If I were younger, I would juice.

Many of my friends did and they had great bodies. They also had amazing sex partners because of those bodies (and were treated better by the straight world too).

Now that everyone has settled into middle age, I don't see any of them experiencing ill effects of their history. Back then I was always holier than thou about my health, but now I see juicing did nothing bad to my friends' health--just lost of positive social things.

by Anonymousreply 87May 9, 2018 3:40 PM

Well, duh. It's all about being sexy and pretty.

by Anonymousreply 88May 9, 2018 3:45 PM

No, it's about being healthy and feeling good.

by Anonymousreply 89May 9, 2018 3:48 PM

Creatine dosage, I do a teaspoon a day. When I work out I take an additional teaspoon after the workout plus a protein drink.

by Anonymousreply 90May 9, 2018 4:09 PM

It’s about have hundreds of thousands drooling instagram fans

by Anonymousreply 91May 9, 2018 4:24 PM

^^^and what gets the fans? Sexy and pretty boys. Mostly on steriods. Posing as health/fitness trainers. Ugh. I hate the steroids look. And of course it's about being healthy first and foremost. If you want big muscles quick, do steroids.

by Anonymousreply 92May 9, 2018 5:24 PM

My friend took steroids and had an amazing body then ended up in the hospital with pancreatitis and nearly died.

by Anonymousreply 93May 9, 2018 6:46 PM

Wait. So now we have a “nearly died” troll?

by Anonymousreply 94May 9, 2018 8:59 PM

OP, like others have mentioned, getting a sufficient calorie surplus is necessary to create any bulk. I am running into a similar problem, where I want to put on more muscle weight, but unfortunately I just don't have the appetite so I am constantly dealing with a calorie deficit that sets me back majorly. I don't know the exact numbers, but most sources I've read have said something between 200-500 extra calories beyond what your body needs for its everyday purposes. But unfortunately, that equates to a lot of food. R27 is probably the best response on here and is very correct.

by Anonymousreply 95May 9, 2018 9:09 PM

In order of importance: 1) The correct diet. 2) Knowing how to lift and the underlying techniques (read: Maximum Muscle Bible by Carter and Thib). 4-6x a week. Every week. 3) Proper sleep/stress management 4) Steroids are the last 15%. 250mg-500mg Test E or Test C cycle perhaps with dbol to kickstart for 4 weeks. Have an AI on hand incase you are sensitive to gyno. With a PROPER PCT cycle at the end with HCG to protect your balls. Keep the cycles short: 8-12 weeks max. You can cycle at most 2x a year. Dont go onto steroids unless you actually have a base of technique and muscle on your body: steroids don't help with tendons or ligaments. And yes, you can keep your gains afterwards but only if you maintain the other 3 elements listed above.

by Anonymousreply 96May 9, 2018 9:28 PM

I have the genetic predisposition to bulk up. I lift in the spring and summer then take off the fall and spring. I’m lazy so I only do 2 exercises - Zottman curls for my biceps and 2 hand triceps extensions. These work my arms, back and abs. If i followed a better diet, i might be bigger. I haven’t stepped foot in a gym since college. I also bike for cardio.

by Anonymousreply 97May 9, 2018 9:36 PM

From 18-35, I had the same fucking body no matter how many trainers I had or how much weight i lifted or what crazy plan I tried (eating or weight lifting). I was always the same. It was embarassing how much time I worked

At 35, I did 3 cycles of Testosterone AND had liposuction of all the fat around my chest and love handles - and COMPLETELY changed my body. It was like my head was put on someone else's body. Much of the muscle went away rapidly after the end of the T cycle, but the fat is gone for good.

I was so tempted to post my pics on Reddit as "progress pics" for all those stupid cunts who do that shit for attention 24/7 (mostly 20-somethings who somehow managed to get to 400 lbs but a lot of muscle gainers too). I know 1/2 of them are doing things that they are not admitting. I was going to post it - get all the cheers and accolades, and then tell everyone it was lipo & steroids....and wake the fuck up. There was no way I could've removed the fat I did with diet and exercise alone - period. The muscle gain wasn't that spectacular long term, but in the short term, it was pretty impressive. I just got sick of the work I had to put in. It was twice as much work as ever. And the eating was non-stop.

by Anonymousreply 98May 9, 2018 9:53 PM

r82 if you take too much creatine you just pee it out, allegedly. And you should take it an hour before or after you work out, I think.

by Anonymousreply 99May 9, 2018 9:54 PM

I really appreciate the honesty response R98. I feel like the dishonesty that reels through the fitness/body-building crowd is really setting humanity back.

by Anonymousreply 100May 9, 2018 9:57 PM

You can either load creatine or just take it 2-3 grams a day. There are a million websites that explain it. Too much made me fart unacceptably.

One tip to get past this is to only use "micronized" creatine. Also, dissolve it 100% - so it needs to be put in hot tea or hot coffee. It won't dissolve in cold. To be taken up in the muscles, it needs to have sugar with it along with Alpha Lipoic Acid and Acetyl L Carnitine, ideally.

I am the r98 - so believe me, I made the most of those months with my vials of Testosterone, creatine and a dozen other supplements.

I agree r100... lipo is another thing people lie about constantly. It just frustrates people who cannot lose fat in their "trouble areas" and gets them to buy into all this bullshit. The bottom line is I would've lost all the fat on my face, legs, and ass - before I ever lost an ounce of love handle fat. 45 min under anesthesia and that was over.

by Anonymousreply 101May 9, 2018 9:59 PM

Don't forget to do those glute bridges.

by Anonymousreply 102May 9, 2018 10:45 PM

R94, you sound really stupid. Do you know how to look things up?

by Anonymousreply 103May 9, 2018 11:30 PM

Protein powder and shit ton of supplements, and yes some do use steroids.

by Anonymousreply 104May 9, 2018 11:40 PM

I love the male aesthetics movement

by Anonymousreply 105May 11, 2018 4:00 PM

Yea everyone wants muscles and to be fit now. Everyone is obsessed. Even old guys i know wanna get buff now.

by Anonymousreply 106May 12, 2018 12:51 PM

Drink protein shakes before bed to ensure your body does not go into a catabolic mode that eats up your muscle gains.

by Anonymousreply 107May 12, 2018 8:13 PM

Dudes are bonding through male aesthetics. It provides an environment wherein guys bond through complimenting each other’s physiques and physical qualities. Very modern brosexual.

by Anonymousreply 108May 12, 2018 8:15 PM

In the Metoo Age, males can still assert their distinctives from and dominance over females by building their physiques.

by Anonymousreply 109May 12, 2018 8:18 PM

[quote] Drink protein shakes before bed

And, specifically, you may want to consider casein protein shakes before bed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 12, 2018 8:35 PM

True

by Anonymousreply 111May 12, 2018 8:36 PM

And avoid soy, boy.

by Anonymousreply 112May 12, 2018 8:36 PM

Why do Italians get muscular so easily?

by Anonymousreply 113May 12, 2018 8:39 PM

They do?

by Anonymousreply 114May 12, 2018 8:46 PM

Yes Italian-Americans are all 5’7” but have muscular bodies.

A friend of mine hit the gym and within months was a little muscle machine

by Anonymousreply 115May 12, 2018 9:17 PM

Some do, but it doesn’t seem Italian men are into the gym as much as other nationalities

by Anonymousreply 116May 13, 2018 12:36 PM

R109, or they could forget about women and just fuck each other.

by Anonymousreply 117May 13, 2018 3:12 PM

Lift heavy bro

by Anonymousreply 118September 5, 2018 8:03 AM

r82 The standard dose of creatine is 5 gm per day. That is a measuring teaspoon full. When you buy a container of creatine there is a measuring scoop inside.

by Anonymousreply 119September 5, 2018 8:27 AM

[quote] Some do, but it doesn’t seem Italian men are into the gym as much as other nationalities

These four Italians certainly seem to spend a good deal of time in the gym.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120September 5, 2018 12:53 PM

Dedication

by Anonymousreply 121July 3, 2020 5:14 PM

[quote] What's the secret??

Pearl Creme!

by Anonymousreply 122July 3, 2020 5:20 PM

I am in my 50s and I started testosterone injections a few months ago because I was feeling sluggish. I can tell you that they make a difference in building muscle if you are working out at the gym. I also do a whey protein shake every day. The T also helps with mood and energy.

But I would like to dial back the T injections. The upside of once a week injections brings great muscle growth, and you feel sexy and horny every single day. The downside is oily skin, body acne (yuck), and sometimes my balls seem lighter and smaller than they used to be. It's hard to describe.

I'm going to switch to every other week injections to see if that works better.

by Anonymousreply 123July 3, 2020 5:54 PM

Creatine helps

by Anonymousreply 124July 3, 2020 6:17 PM

Lol, r3.

by Anonymousreply 125July 3, 2020 6:20 PM

"An iron will and the grace of God." Somerset Maugham

by Anonymousreply 126July 3, 2020 6:30 PM

You aren't eating enough.

by Anonymousreply 127July 3, 2020 7:00 PM

Creatine

by Anonymousreply 128August 23, 2020 10:15 AM

R121 is a BUMP TROLL

R121 is a BUMP TROLL

R121 is a BUMP TROLL

R121 is a BUMP TROLL

R121 is a BUMP TROLL

R121 is a BUMP TROLL

by Anonymousreply 129August 23, 2020 10:31 AM

It’s mostly genetics. I have a gymnast’s build and can build muscle easily. But now I am feeling too lazy to keep it up.

by Anonymousreply 130August 23, 2020 1:42 PM

More weight, fewer reps.

Eat a lot.

by Anonymousreply 131August 23, 2020 6:53 PM

But what about high volume training.

by Anonymousreply 132April 8, 2021 4:44 AM

OP it's kinda like what r47 said. I'm guessing you have a fast metabolism. Therefore you must eat constantly, like small meals in-between the regular meals. All the time, and there are no cheat days. That's why they call it a lifestyle. I hired a personal trainer many years ago (early 90s) and he put me on a high protein/low-fat diet that was bland and boring. It seemed like anything that had flavor or tasted good contained fat and he sad no fat.. Lemon juice was the replacement for sauce, gravy, butter, salad dressing, you name it.

by Anonymousreply 133April 8, 2021 4:15 PM

And OP, when you achieve your goal of muscularity, always remember this: muscles do not make a person sexy.

by Anonymousreply 134April 8, 2021 4:20 PM

I have the same problem as OP - I’m 5’10” and 145 pounds; I haven’t gained a single pound since high school.

I’ve tried working out with trainers, but to no effect - except on my wallet. And now I’m old (56), which - as I understand it - makes it nearly impossible to add muscle mass, at least for people who aren’t able to spend several hours a day at the gym.

Both my parents are small-boned too, so I agree with the “genetics” explanation.

I guess I’ll just have to make the most of what I have, and be grateful that I’m not a FAT WHORE.

by Anonymousreply 135April 8, 2021 4:29 PM

Who's still on creatine?

by Anonymousreply 136April 9, 2021 3:50 PM

Op you're an ectomorph. You'll never pack on muscle like a mesomorph. Otoh you're probably hung.

by Anonymousreply 137April 9, 2021 4:46 PM

Eat a lot. Lift a lot. Sleep a lot.

by Anonymousreply 138April 10, 2021 8:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!