Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elisa Lam's Death at the Cecil Hotel

What really happened? I get queeny chills just thinking about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 18, 2018 5:47 AM

This is one of those topics like the Dyatlov Pass incident no one here ever mentions!!!

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2017 4:19 AM

Well, all I know is that someone locked her into that water tank. No doubts there.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2017 5:35 AM

Also, she's Asian, so that will limit the media interest. They seem to only care about dead white chicks.

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2017 5:35 AM

She was very good at math, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2017 5:36 AM

I'm the favourite Asian on dl!

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2017 6:06 AM

I have to post this video. This is all just too weird to ignore:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2018 4:23 AM

Is this place a cover for something else?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2018 4:25 AM

If we knew the answer to your question it wouldn't be "unsolved."

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2018 4:37 AM

Unmedicated mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2018 4:41 AM

R9 But you have to admit the oddness of "The Last Bookstore" -- a L.A. business -- being registered previously with a P.O. box in the very Canadian town where she would be buried, with the Google maps marker coming up right in the graveyard where she would later be buried.

Would the tax situation be that much different for this business if officially based in Canada? Is this Lam's hometown or a town with personal significance to her and she purposefully sought out this store for this very reason?

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2018 4:59 AM

She was having a psychotic episode and not on her medication. It's creepy and sad, but there was no foul play involved at all. She comes up often in true crime/unsolved mystery discussions and any conspiracies are quickly debunked.

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2018 5:08 AM

R11 This isn't a conspiracy, this is an too odd coincidence of the very bookstore CNN gave massive exposure to as being "the last business she visited" having a mortality theme and having been previously registered at a P.O. box in the small town where she would be buried, with the Google maps pin coming up right in the cemetery where she was laid to rest. Did she plan all of this down to such a weird detail?

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2018 5:13 AM

There was a short lived show called "horror at the cecil", they showed three episodes and then they never aired it again. I wonder what happened?

They did an episode on elisa and as others have said, she had mental break while not taking her meds. Detectives were like crazy people do crazy things, case closed. However I still don't totally buy that theory, the area on the roof with the water tanks was really hard to get to and the tanks should have been locked. even if she did somehow get in on her own, she wouldn't have been to close the tank lid once she was inside. Its so hard to believe that someone didn't put her in there., but who knows maybe she did have some crazy person strength/ability while she wasn't mentally right.

by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2018 5:20 AM

Elevator behavior: a manic episode with psychotic features. The rest of the mystery? Dunno and don't care. The videos are too long to bother with.

by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2018 5:29 AM

I've been to that hotel, and it's actually been remodeled very nice. It's big enough where they'd have security guards and cameras everywhere, I'm surprised she got on the roof unnoticed. I've also been to the bookstore too, I don't remember it being around the corner as described in the video. I think it's more of a walk, but I wonder how the manager remembers her. Sounds really strange.

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2018 5:35 AM

[quote]R2 Well, all I know is that someone locked her into that water tank. No doubts there.

You have to wonder what she did to make someone so mad.

by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2018 5:41 AM

EXXIE WILSON!

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2018 5:45 AM

I've long thought a serial killer was working there because there have been so many odd deaths at that hotel. Also, she was Cantonese. Were her family were recent immigrants? Did she know some powerful Chinese person who had an obsession with numerology, mysticism, sacrifice rituals? Was this a "purchased" experience for a very wealthy person with an occult fixation? All of these details appear far, too odd to be purely coincidental considering the oddness of her death.

Also, she wasn't diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Auditory hallucinations are not a symptom of that disorder.

by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2018 5:46 AM

Did some online community take advantage of her mental illness and guide her to take her life in such a way?

by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2018 5:48 AM

Also, there's this. And apparently, the test was originally developed just a few blocks away from the hotel:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 21, 2018 5:52 AM

The Night Stalker Richard Ramirez stayed at this hotel during his killing spree in the 80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 21, 2018 5:55 AM

Then there's this truly weird "Illuminati NWO" card called "Eliza" that looks like a girl in a tank of water. The office of the creator of this game, Steve Jackson, was raided by The CIA in the 1990's with work related stuff confiscated, their insisting he was a "hacker", demanding to know where he got his information from.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 21, 2018 5:56 AM

"During the search for Lam, guests at the hotel began complaining about low water pressure. Some later claimed their water was colored black, and had an unusual taste.[31] On the morning of February 19, Lam's body was found in one of four 1,000-gallon (3,785 L) tanks providing water to guest rooms, a kitchen, and a coffee shop"

For 5 days people were consuming and bathing in her rotting corpse. It's so horrific...

by Anonymousreply 23April 21, 2018 5:58 AM

Jack Unterweger, another serial killer who stayed at Cecil Hotel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 21, 2018 6:02 AM

I've been listening to this podcast a lot lately...they really make me laugh.

Little Miss Lam is discussed at the [bold]33:00[/bold] mark

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 21, 2018 6:07 AM

I live near Burnaby I should go see her grave.

by Anonymousreply 26April 21, 2018 7:47 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 27April 21, 2018 1:35 PM

She was waiting in the elevator to pass a fart, leaving an "elevator surprise" for the neighbor she hated; the neighbor found out and killed her. The end.

by Anonymousreply 28April 21, 2018 3:07 PM

Thanks for solving the great elevator mystery, r28. Doesn't explain the L.A. bookstore/p.o.box previously registered where she would be buried angle, though.

by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2018 4:53 PM

She was so slight. There was no way she could have done all of that alone. It reminds me a little of the spy in a duffel bag, Gareth Williams.

by Anonymousreply 30April 21, 2018 4:57 PM

That hotel is in a terrible area for one..

by Anonymousreply 31April 21, 2018 7:46 PM

Whoever locked her in the water tank was invisible to the cameras. There have been speculation that it was a Muohugua demon summoned to collect a debt. Those have been known to show up in the area around Skid Row, obviously feeding off the energy of the degenerates on the streets.

by Anonymousreply 32April 21, 2018 8:10 PM

Ask Me Anything about this crime. I work two blocks away.

by Anonymousreply 33April 21, 2018 8:13 PM

[quote]even if she did somehow get in on her own, she wouldn't have been to close the tank lid once she was inside.

Actually, some worker could have very easily found the lid open and shut it.

by Anonymousreply 34April 21, 2018 8:18 PM

[quote]This is one of those topics like the Dyatlov Pass incident no one here ever mentions!!!

I just looked up the Dyatlov Pass incident. It's fascinating.

Could someone start a thread about it?

Thanks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 35April 21, 2018 8:19 PM

[quote]Ask Me Anything about this crime. I work two blocks away.

Who did it?

by Anonymousreply 36April 21, 2018 8:20 PM

Oh god, is Poo back with her crazy ass conspiracy theories about everything?

by Anonymousreply 37April 21, 2018 8:21 PM

The 'area' where this crime happened is straight in the heart of Downtown LA, right on the outskirts of Skid Row, which is the biggest conglomeration of homeless people in the country.

by Anonymousreply 38April 21, 2018 8:29 PM

[QUOTE}Doesn't explain the L.A. bookstore/p.o.box previously registered where she would be buried angle, though.

By angle do you mean coincidence? Because that's all that is.

by Anonymousreply 39April 21, 2018 8:31 PM

This hotel is in the process of re-branding itself.

by Anonymousreply 40April 21, 2018 8:37 PM

It doesn't even rise to the level of coincidence, r39. Like thousands of other websites, their domain is privately registered through In2net:

[bold]Registrar — In2net Network Inc.[/bold]

IANA ID: 604

URL: [.....]in2net[dot]com

Whois Server: whois.in2net[dot]com

[bold]Tech Contact — Registrant Privacy[/bold]

RegistrantPrivacy[dot]com

P.O. Box 43083 Cascade,

Burnaby, BC, V5G 4S2, CA

by Anonymousreply 41April 21, 2018 8:49 PM

Oh come on, R39 and R40. Of all places for this oddly themed bookstore to have a P.O. Box registered, it would be there? NO possible connection?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 21, 2018 8:57 PM

The "Last Bookstore" is an exceptional two story labyrinth of excellent books. My favorite bookstore in all of southern Cal.

by Anonymousreply 43April 21, 2018 9:03 PM

My brother used GoDaddy to register his website. Within a year, his wife was pregnant.

Coincidence?

by Anonymousreply 44April 21, 2018 9:06 PM

How do all these looney tune conspiracy nuts find DL? People like D-R who find conspiracy in everything.

I love these kinds of threads but I have to block the nuts and trolls.

by Anonymousreply 45April 21, 2018 9:06 PM

R43 I'm sure it's a fantastic bookstore. But I can not understand why some people have an almost religious relationship with "coincidence". Human behavior is actually pretty predictable and coincidences should be less believable than humans doing certain things for certain reasons.

A coincidence is more in line with irony, with -- given a person's past history, likes, dislikes and relationships -- an unlikely set of circumstances, all things considered, playing out. When the truth is, you're more unlikely to find people who can't read perusing bookstores or people who can't swim, showing up for practice with a competitive swim team than ones who can and choose to do so.

by Anonymousreply 46April 21, 2018 9:08 PM

R45, in our current age of alt-right trolls, I find posters like D-R 'quaint' and not so terrible in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 47April 21, 2018 9:08 PM

r45 What do some of you even think about? I'm sincerely curious. Do you lead an examined life, at all? Do you ponder nothing?

by Anonymousreply 48April 21, 2018 9:09 PM

R46, I maintain that staying at the Cecil Hotel was a very unusual choice for a young woman.

That is not a 'nice' area, even in terms of Downtown LA.

by Anonymousreply 49April 21, 2018 9:11 PM

R49 I agree, it's an odd choice. Did she understand the dangers and still chose to stay there? Was she mislead by someone?

by Anonymousreply 50April 21, 2018 9:12 PM

[quote]What do some of you even think about? I'm sincerely curious. Do you lead an examined life, at all? Do you ponder nothing?

One can think and examine without resorting to crazy half-assed theories and wild speculations. Here's a hint, in life, the simplest explanation is usually the truth.

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2018 9:13 PM

[quote]Here's a hint, in life, the simplest explanation is usually the truth.

In other words, demons with a score to settle regarding tuberculosis tests.

by Anonymousreply 52April 21, 2018 9:15 PM

[quote]In other words, demons with a score to settle regarding tuberculosis tests.

Never heard that one trollerina. Bye, begone.

by Anonymousreply 53April 21, 2018 9:18 PM

[QUOTE]Of all places for this oddly themed bookstore to have a P.O. Box registered

As R41 pointed out, the bookstore does not have a PO Box registered there. The company that they registered their domain with is based there. Simple as that. And the cemetery is just at the centre of that postal code district.

[QUOTE]I maintain that staying at the Cecil Hotel was a very unusual choice for a young woman.

Depends on the type of woman - if she was a hipsterish type who wanted to see the "real" LA, it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 54April 21, 2018 9:24 PM

All things considered, I can kind of see why you would take my post seriously, r53.

by Anonymousreply 55April 21, 2018 9:24 PM

[quote] Depends on the type of woman - if she was a hipsterish type who wanted to see the "real" LA, it makes sense.

I guess I could see that. There are a lot of great restaurants in the area. But that really is not a nice part of downtown.

by Anonymousreply 56April 21, 2018 9:28 PM

It not being a nice part of downtown is exactly what would make it attractive to hipsters though. Or she could've booked on one of those price deal sites where you don't know what hotel you're going to be staying at until after booking, etc.

by Anonymousreply 57April 21, 2018 9:30 PM

And in terms of 'not nice,' I mean that you still have to step over sleeping homeless people at the front door entrance.

by Anonymousreply 58April 21, 2018 9:33 PM

Elisa Lam was a naive, mentally ill Canadian girl. As R57 said, she probably got a Priceline deal. The Cecil doesn't look bad on the travel websites, it has history and is "close to everything". Why wouldn't someone trying to save money stay there? She didn't take her meds and had a break. Voila, she kills herself either on purpose or accidentally. No numerology or other shit involved. If you were talking about a possible killer, okay, but this whacked out theory that she was the victim of some Illuminati hit or Masonic ritual is nonsensical, though it would make an interesting movie plot.

by Anonymousreply 59April 21, 2018 9:36 PM

R51 Exactly. The simplest explanation is that most people intend to be where they are when they fly somewhere, go shopping or stay at a hotel, barring unusual circumstances.

As her behavior caught on video was really strange and it's near impossible that such a slight woman could have pulled that top back on while treading in water, it's more likely someone targeted her, compromised her with substances or took advantage of an opportunity when they saw a confused, slight young woman wandering alone.

Even if a staff member just innocently put the top back on, wouldn't they have wanted to check the video to figure out how such a heavy top was pulled off in the first place? I guess some idiot could have just pushed it back on without thinking about it but they wouldn't hear the echoing sounds of cries or shine a flashlight inside to see if an animal was floating in the tank, let alone a person? Maybe nowadays they wouldn't, with all the braindead tech-zombies wandering around.

It seemed to me like she had some fascination with themes of mortality, death and perhaps was a "horror story" tourist. But did she act alone or did some creep in an online community coerce her into it?

by Anonymousreply 60April 21, 2018 9:37 PM

What R14 said and maybe some substance abuse as well. Sorry, no demon except the usual LA ones. I wonder why she was alone. Maybe no family or friends.

by Anonymousreply 61April 21, 2018 9:39 PM

R59 You'd be surprised what some creepy richies will pay for.

by Anonymousreply 62April 21, 2018 9:39 PM

Well, if she was really on a budget and trying to see the 'real LA,' I can name 100 other hotels she probably should have stayed at instead.

by Anonymousreply 63April 21, 2018 9:40 PM

For those of you claiming you don't care, while I guess what you don't know doesn't hurt you, would YOU want to be consuming and bathing in water at a hotel that a dead body had been decomposing in for a few weeks? Any concerns about carbon monoxide poisoning, Legionnaire's disease, etc?

by Anonymousreply 64April 21, 2018 9:42 PM

She was originally in a shared room, but was moved to her own room after her roommates complained about her odd behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 65April 21, 2018 9:43 PM

R64, this hotel is still up and running. The last time I checked, it was closed for 'renovations.'

by Anonymousreply 66April 21, 2018 9:45 PM

Straw man argument.

by Anonymousreply 67April 21, 2018 9:46 PM

Whatever. I'm not saying this is the den of Satan. Just a lot of weird shit keeps happening here.

by Anonymousreply 68April 21, 2018 10:04 PM

Fawlty Towers, Episode 12: Basil The Rat

The hotel inspector found many things at the hotel not meeting regulation standards, including two dead pigeons in the water tank on the roof. The staff had to fix all the violations before the inspector returned. Sybil was listing all the items on the list.

Sybil: You put the lid back on the tank? Basil: That's why I've been on the roof for the last 40 minutes dear, yes. Sybil Fawlty: And you took the pigeons out? Basil Fawlty: No, I left them in. They're nearly done.

Fast forward to 10:00

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 21, 2018 10:06 PM

R69 God, it's more sinister than we thought. She planned her own death by a "Fawlty Towers" episode.

by Anonymousreply 70April 21, 2018 10:10 PM

R70 It was probably the bumbling Manuel who pushed her in, accidently of course.

by Anonymousreply 71April 21, 2018 10:18 PM

And the Hotel Cecil has four roof-top Sensory-Deprivation Tanks.

by Anonymousreply 72April 21, 2018 10:18 PM

I feel bad for the other hotel guests who drank the water and tasted something funny.

by Anonymousreply 73April 21, 2018 10:22 PM

50% of bipolars attempt suicide. She was off her meds, got manic, and killed herself. The end.

by Anonymousreply 74April 21, 2018 11:10 PM

This mystery and its eerie coincidences is straight out of The Twilight Zone -

The mysterious death; the bookstore and its Canadian PO Box address; the bookstore clerk's recalling specific details about Elisa's visit to it; and the location of the cemetery where Elisa is buried.

by Anonymousreply 75April 22, 2018 2:55 AM

Weird case all around.

by Anonymousreply 76April 23, 2018 9:29 PM

The circumstances of Lam's death, once she was found, also raised questions, especially in light of the Cecil's history in relation to other notable deaths and murders.

by Anonymousreply 77April 24, 2018 4:57 AM

In 2015, the media speculated that the fifth season of American Horror Story was inspired by Lam's death In late spring creator Ryan Murphy said the next season would be set in a hotel in present-day Los Angeles. He was inspired, he added, by a surveillance video of a young woman who "got into an elevator at a downtown hotel ... [and] was never seen again." He did not use her name but it was believed he was talking about Lam

by Anonymousreply 78April 24, 2018 4:58 AM

Since her death, her Tumblr blog was updated, presumably through Tumblr's Queue option which allows posts to automatically publish themselves when the user is away. Her phone was not found either with her body or in her hotel room; it has been assumed to have been stolen at some time around her death. Whether the continued updates to her blog were facilitated by the theft of her phone, the work of a hacker, or through the Queue, is not known; nor is it known whether the updates are related to her death

by Anonymousreply 79April 24, 2018 4:59 AM

[quote]R57 It not being a nice part of downtown is exactly what would make it attractive to hipsters though. Or she could've booked on one of those price deal sites where you don't know what hotel you're going to be staying at until after booking, etc.

I believe she had been sharing a room at a nearby hostel (or some other low end establishment) with 5 other women just before, and they complained about her odd behavior. So she needed to find something cheap, fast.

by Anonymousreply 80April 24, 2018 5:05 AM

I follow her tumblr. I haven't gone through the whole thing but it's interesting.

by Anonymousreply 81April 24, 2018 5:05 AM

Cecil Hotel: The True Story Of Murder And Hauntings

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 24, 2018 5:05 AM

Even the coroner's pathologists appeared to be ambivalent about their conclusion that Lam's death was accidental.[3] One page of the report has a form with boxes to check as to whether the death was accidental, natural, homicide, suicide or undetermined, in large type and a sufficient distance from each other. The "accident" box is dated June 15; however three days later the "undetermined" box was checked instead. This was at some point in the three days before the report's release noted as an error and crossed out and initialed

by Anonymousreply 83April 24, 2018 5:06 AM

The autopsy report and its conclusions have also been questioned For instance, it does not say what the results of the rape kit and fingernail kit were, or even if they were processed. It also records subcutaneous pooling of blood in Lam's anal area, which some observers suggested was a sign of sexual abuse; however one pathologist has noted it could also have resulted from bloating in the course of the body's decomposition, and her rectum was also prolapsed.

by Anonymousreply 84April 24, 2018 5:10 AM

R32 What is Muohugua demon?

by Anonymousreply 85April 24, 2018 5:13 AM

Apart from the question of how she got on the roof, others asked if she could have gotten into the tank by herself. All four tanks are 4-by-8-foot (1.2 by 2.4 m) cylinders propped up on concrete blocks; there is no fixed access to them and hotel workers had to use a ladder to look at the water. They are protected by heavy lids that would be difficult to replace from within. [bold]Police dogs that searched through the hotel for Lam, even on the roof, shortly after her disappearance was noted, did not find any trace of her[/bold] (although they had not searched the area near the water tanks).

by Anonymousreply 86April 24, 2018 5:14 AM

almost identical case happened in Malaysia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 24, 2018 5:29 AM

R62 D a v I d a Do you buy into the "Hostel" plot in which perverse people of wealth pay large sums in order to orchestrate cruel, sadistic fantasies?

I suppose this is less dangerous than your Pizzagate satanic ritual abuse fixation.

by Anonymousreply 88April 24, 2018 5:51 AM

[quote]R86 Police dogs that searched through the hotel for Lam, even on the roof, shortly after her disappearance was noted, did not find any trace of her

So it was aliens all along, with a special force field?

I've heard that often they disguise themselves as cats...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 24, 2018 6:42 AM

R22, that's s reference to the early computer program ELIZA, and that's all. Don't spin conspiracy theories out of nothing

by Anonymousreply 90May 18, 2018 5:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!