Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rooney Mara and Joaquin Phoenix

This is apparently a real couple. Who is weirder? Who is more disturbed? Who is more talented? Who will win an Oscar first?

I figured she'd carry a torch for David Fincher forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112February 14, 2019 7:29 AM

Not a couple I bet. Pals, as they have been for a while. If they're hanging out together could be drugs.

Joaquin is weirder and more disturbed by a mile. Most of Rooney's angst is contrived; rich white girl shit. At the rate of things and the crazy way Ampas works she may get an Oscar first, even though he probably deserves it.

Wasn't she with Charlie McDowell for ages? What happened there.

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2017 2:46 AM

They're doing a film together. My guess is that's why they hang out.

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2017 2:50 AM

I think that Jesus/mary Magdalene film already wrapped, that's why the gossip that they're still hanging out. There was a story they were at a spa over Golden Globes weekend.

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2017 3:05 AM

It would be a shame if my good friend G didn't win an Oscar before either one of these youngsters.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2017 4:15 AM

Odd that her sis Kate Mara got engaged to Jamie Bell right after the news about Joachin and Rooney came out. They are the new Olivia and Joan sister fued. Can't let Rooney get all the press, she might get parts that could go to the prettier Kate.

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2017 5:05 AM

r1 rich white girls can still be fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2017 5:15 AM

I think Rooney is prettier than Kate.

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2017 5:20 AM

PATRICIA Mara is her real name...I guess Rooney (her middle name?) is way more goth/quirky/emo or whatever she is going for. I feel like she is trying to be Audrey Tatou/Amelie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2017 5:32 AM

R7 I agree.

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2017 5:37 AM

I watched "Side Effects" last night, and I'm amazed how Hollywood tries to project an average looking woman as a desirable beauty wanted by everyone. Oh, it was so believable that Tatum was so in love with her. (eyes rolling back and forth)

by Anonymousreply 10March 8, 2017 12:05 PM

Of course Phoenix is chasing her. She's filthy rich. Who wouldn't want to get a piece of all that?

by Anonymousreply 11March 8, 2017 1:44 PM

Regarding your 4 questions OP: I have no answer to the first three.

However, I assume I will win an Oscar first.

As will pretty much everyone else in the world.

by Anonymousreply 12March 8, 2017 1:47 PM

That response really just didn't work, R12.

by Anonymousreply 13March 8, 2017 1:50 PM

Some time ago here on DL a poster wondered if Rooney Mara married Tamara Tunie if it would be Rooney Tunie or Tamara Mara.

by Anonymousreply 14March 8, 2017 1:56 PM

Is this true? And did Casey and Phoenix end their friendship because she hooked with Casey first on the Saints movie and he said he fell in love with her and she never talked to him again. Then she and Phoenix reconnected on the Mary M movie and Casey was enraged? They sold their flat together as well in Tribeca. What a sourpuss she is.

by Anonymousreply 15April 25, 2017 10:02 PM

r15 Ooh a love triangle. That will be good for business, won't it?

Maybe it's all just hype for their upcoming film?

Naaaaaah. That never happens......

by Anonymousreply 16April 25, 2017 10:18 PM

[quote] I think that Jesus/mary Magdalene film already wrapped, that's why the gossip that they're still hanging out.

I was talking about the Gus Van Sant film they just wrapped (it started shooting beginning of March, but the cast was known when I wrote my post.)

by Anonymousreply 17April 25, 2017 10:20 PM

WHET John Bottom (a.k.a. Juan Phoenix) and his disappearing daughter? It was in the British press and a few blogs were covering it at the time, and now I can only find three links mentioning it. How odd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 25, 2017 10:41 PM

What a cute Aspie couple.

by Anonymousreply 19April 25, 2017 11:27 PM

Is this real or what? Someone get the inside dope.

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2017 6:31 PM

Joaquin used to be so gorgeous, but he's a crazy druggie dirty mess now. Rooney is a charisma-free bore. Weird pairing.

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2017 6:38 PM

There's something about her I find riveting onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2017 6:39 PM

Buttered her muffin when we made Tanner Hall. Don't tell Francesca.

by Anonymousreply 23May 10, 2017 5:57 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 24May 10, 2017 9:28 PM

Is it true she's pregnant?

Always thought, like her dyke sister Kate, Roons was a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2017 12:03 AM

So Kate Mara wants to ban "weirdo" Phoenix from her wedding. Apparently she's doesn't dig him or his vibe, he doesn't follow team sports, he's too dark, and she thinks Rooney will be attending to him all during the wedding and not entirely enjoying herself.

Well damn.

by Anonymousreply 26July 11, 2017 7:24 PM

Any word on these two?

She looked so wholesome and American apple pie when she came out around the time of Tanner Hall. Now you see her in baggy unwashed black sweats and pasty pale skin and flannels and she looks like a homeless heroin addicted teenage boy from the grunge era Portland or Seattle. There's something going on there with Mara.

by Anonymousreply 27August 7, 2017 10:27 PM

Two ugly, untalented people. A match!

by Anonymousreply 28August 7, 2017 10:52 PM

R27 the look you are describing is typical among a certain social group.

by Anonymousreply 29August 7, 2017 11:00 PM

Yes, a group of drug users and occult thespians. She, like her soul, is gone.

by Anonymousreply 30August 16, 2017 9:30 PM

A match made in 'Weird Heaven'

by Anonymousreply 31August 16, 2017 9:35 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 16, 2017 9:35 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 16, 2017 9:36 PM

R15, I assume that Rooney and Casey have talked since, they are currently in the weird but very wonderful A Ghost Story which is - ahem - haunting. She's very good in it, and Casey gets more emotion into a sheet with eyeholes then most actors do in regular parts. Joaquin is a talented guy. He needs to get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 34August 16, 2017 11:59 PM

Supposedly he is good in that new movie by the director of We Need To Talk About Kevin.

by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2017 12:07 AM

He won Best Actor at Cannes for You Were Never Really Here. Already one of the early Oscar favourites.

by Anonymousreply 36August 17, 2017 3:30 AM

LMAO! A Ghost Story was terrible. A vapid 1st year film school short film dragged out to over 90 minutes for zero fucking reason. It ripped off, of ALL films, Interstellar. Affleck is a fucking talentless , charismaless turd who's not at all compelling to watch and can't deliver anything but the same character over and over. Manchester by the Sea (ANOTHER Sundance-cliched Daytime Soap Opera with the worst musical cues ever) was one of the most laughably overrated performances of all time. And that's leaving out that he's a fucking piece of shit IRL.

Rooney Mara isn't much better. She's only occasionaly watchable when working with a good director. But in shit like Lion, or The Discovery, she's completely useless.

Joaquin is messed up but he actually has talent and a personality.

by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2017 12:09 AM

Ok, thanks, R37. I almost went to that ghost movie.

I thought Joaquin was good in that movie with Gwyneth Paltrow. I forget what it was called. And he was good in that sort-of Scientology one.

by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2017 12:13 AM

Joaquin regularly attends NA meetings. He's fucked up to a degree with which he'll never recover (probably b/c of his childhood, though I'm sure River's death made things even worse) but he's resilient. He knows how to ask and get help when he needs it.

He looks EXACTLY like his dad, especially the older he's getting.

by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2017 12:46 AM

Hasn't he won an Oscar yet? Apparently not. Thought she'd won one too.

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2017 12:49 AM

Joaquin was so dirty hot in Inherent Vice. Actually the most I've ever been into him. More than his Quills/Signs heartthrob days.

by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2017 12:57 AM

R37, your view: my view, A a Ghost Story was a strange, moving, memorable film. Not for everyone, R38, but your choice, your loss. It's on c. 90% on rotten tomatoes so R37 is in the minority. I thought Manchester BTS was a masterpiece but again, that was just my view and that of the overwhelming majority of critics. I can't stand the Godfather and Goodfellas and Taxi Driver, each to their own.

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2017 11:43 AM

Bumped for good reason. I suspect Joaquin is staring at her over their usual breakfast of green tea, skunk weed, sprouts and American Spirit cigarettes this morning on the couch and she's avoiding his gaze. "Um, so do you have anything to tell me about all those meeting with Harvey fucking Weinstein ...?"

by Anonymousreply 43October 7, 2017 6:01 PM

I enjoyed A Ghost Story, too.

by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2017 5:34 AM

Just adhering to their required Hollywood weirdness.

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2017 5:56 AM

What ever happened to the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo movie sequels?

by Anonymousreply 46November 27, 2017 6:22 AM

R. Mara and AnnE Hathaway ruin every film they're in for me.

I think Phoenix is a good actor with a compelling presence. He plays sinister well, yet he is really likeable in SHE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 27, 2017 6:26 AM

HER not SHE ^^^

by Anonymousreply 48November 27, 2017 6:26 AM

Whatever happened to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movie sequels?

Rooney Mara's personality and bland zero appeal happened and literally not one human being on earth wanted her in the sequels except for the woman herself and perhaps some members of the Giants and Steelers. In the Sony emails she is basically begging Amy Pascal to meet with her to discuss the progress on the sequels and Pascal blanks her repeatedly.

Biggest error in judgment every made was not using Scarlett Johansson or Portman in those movies. Both of whom were considered.

by Anonymousreply 49December 25, 2017 5:40 PM

R40 - can’t see Portman or Scajo in that role at all. Too conventional . Not a huge fan of Mara - but thought she did a great job as Lisbet. The movie was actually a lot better than it got credit for. The book has lots of silly logic flubs and plot inconsistencies. The screenplay writers actually saw this and smoothed our a lot of the rough edges. It looks great, moves along, at a good pace - a really superior, grown up thriller. But don’t think it took quite the box office that was predicted - so the enthusiasm for sequels waned...

I liked the scandi made-for-tv versions of the book(s) well enough too. Not as slick and glossy as Hollywood version - but great casting and solid stuff. But the scripts have a lot of he same plot flubs as the books. On the whole - it’s one rare case of preferring the Hollywood remake.

by Anonymousreply 50December 25, 2017 9:18 PM

Rooney and Joaquin were together at the premier of his latest movie. They’re certainly not an affectionate couple. But mara’s not affectionate. She always stood away from Charlie McDowell. She’s got closer physically to Blanchett! I think she’s not very sexual. She has been concentrating on her fashion line and it’s doing well.

by Anonymousreply 51April 4, 2018 5:39 PM

Rooney likes the muff.

by Anonymousreply 52April 4, 2018 5:47 PM

Phoenix? I admit he would date Rooney for money, because his Mom is probably still begging for money to support herself and her young handsome husband. She always expected her kids to support her and her Clingons.

by Anonymousreply 53April 4, 2018 6:13 PM

I thought Joaquin had already won an Oscar. Rooney? No.

by Anonymousreply 54April 4, 2018 6:14 PM

She is so dull.

by Anonymousreply 55April 4, 2018 11:25 PM

She sucks the air out of the movie screen. And she's not even pretty.

He looks like he smells of cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 56April 5, 2018 12:07 AM

What did Rooney do to her mouth? I recently watched The Social Network: she looks like a human being. Then I watched Side Effects: she looks like a space alien.

What happened?

by Anonymousreply 57April 5, 2018 12:35 AM

They're not bearding each other?

by Anonymousreply 58April 5, 2018 1:20 AM

I think Rooney is bi. But I think she would rather be on her own than someone she’s not totally in love with. I really think she and Phoenix are more friends than lovers. She strikes me as someone who doesn’t need sex. I think Phoenix has smoked so much weed his todger doesn’t come up any more!

by Anonymousreply 59April 5, 2018 4:39 PM

Phoenix should have won "Gladiator," where he was better than his Oscar-winning costar Reese Witherspoon.

Although I can't say that Benicio del Toro was an undeserving winner.

by Anonymousreply 60April 5, 2018 7:31 PM

Eek! That obviously should have said Russell Crowe.

by Anonymousreply 61April 5, 2018 7:32 PM

It is funny that Rooney Mara was dating Francesca G when nobody knew her and then once her fame exploded with Dragon Tattoo she was immediately doing the rounds with a boyfriend, going to awards and being snapped by Paps etc ..... that was very convenient, wasn't it?

by Anonymousreply 62August 25, 2018 7:00 AM

She and Francesca G. lived together for a couple of years. It wasn't a secret. I know someone who knew them as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 63August 25, 2018 7:20 AM

[quote] I figured she'd carry a torch for David Fincher forever.

Funny you say that, OP; I figured he'd carry a torch for his elder sister forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 25, 2018 8:10 AM

Rooney is much nicer than Kate IRL for what it’s worth.

by Anonymousreply 65August 25, 2018 8:30 AM

Tell us more, [R163]!

I remember reading things online about Rooney and Francesca dating and being girlfriends, but when Mara was becoming super famous (i.e. started being cast in David Fincher films), the Francesca relationship was portrayed in any newer articles as a “friendship” and them living together as being “roommates”.

Can you confirm that they were indeed sexually involved and not just “buddies”?

by Anonymousreply 66August 25, 2018 9:54 AM

Roon and Joaq, loon and wok. They smoke pot. They drink wine. Assorted pills. All Ruin has ever breathed is rarefied air, pot smoke, and Cate Blanchett pussy farts. And now she's hanging out with Walk-in Freezer, such cool outsiders they are. Back at the bungalow, Brie Larson wears a 12 inch black strap-on and waits for them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 25, 2018 11:59 AM

Why do people say Rooney has aspergers and autism? She's well educated and intelligent and articulate and doesn't give off any hint of these diseased or conditions.

by Anonymousreply 68October 27, 2018 6:25 AM

Isn't Joaquin his nephew's father?

by Anonymousreply 69October 28, 2018 11:10 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 70October 28, 2018 7:23 PM

R68, her personal hygiene leaves much to be desired (I have worked with her worn costumes), and she is inarticulate and strange when not on camera.

by Anonymousreply 71October 28, 2018 7:35 PM

[quote]her personal hygiene leaves much to be desired (I have worked with her worn costumes)

Sounds yucky. Can actors send items to a dry cleaner on their own?

I wonder how actors go through filming sex scenes where there could be sweating from the physicality of the act or just from nerves. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 72October 28, 2018 7:40 PM

Aren't they both gay?

by Anonymousreply 73October 28, 2018 7:45 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 28, 2018 7:51 PM

Isn't Kate a lesbian and bearding with 100% gay man Jamie Bell?

by Anonymousreply 75October 28, 2018 7:59 PM

Did anyone else see UNA? She wasn’t a patch on Jodhi May in the original production of BLACKBIRD. Fat Daddy Roger Allam was better than Ben Mendelssohn, too, though he was better than Rooney.

by Anonymousreply 76October 28, 2018 8:04 PM

Rooney dresses strangely now because she idolizes Lisbeth Salander and wants to wear similarly androgynous clothing.

by Anonymousreply 77October 28, 2018 8:25 PM

If Claire Foy somehow manages to get an Oscar nomination for the Spider Web tattoo I think Rooney will be pushed over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 78October 29, 2018 4:39 AM

Why do directors love Rooney? She’s unconvincing every time she opens her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 79October 29, 2018 6:37 AM

I'll give you a hint: check her background and her family connections.

It's certainly not because she was a classically trained actor who EARNED her career.

by Anonymousreply 80October 30, 2018 2:55 PM

Rooney's career is currently in the shitter. She can't pick good projects.

by Anonymousreply 81October 30, 2018 3:29 PM

Kate Mara was at the Animal Equality gala last night.

by Anonymousreply 82October 30, 2018 4:11 PM

Rooney's last 5 movies have been abominations and it's only getting worse. She really bottled it and failed with her choices and selecting scripts.

Her association with Phoenix has been the final blow and the final nail, so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 83October 31, 2018 6:30 PM

R40 Ellen Page and Kristen Stewart were also considered for the Lisbeth Salander role. (Shudder)

by Anonymousreply 84October 31, 2018 7:21 PM

Was Rooney cheating on Charlie MacDowell?

by Anonymousreply 85December 6, 2018 4:39 PM

closet kills

by Anonymousreply 86December 6, 2018 5:03 PM

R60 Benicio was category fraud. He was the main character in TRAFFIC. It was touted as an ensemble piece, but his character had the main focus. SAG nominated him in the lead category.

by Anonymousreply 87December 6, 2018 5:30 PM

R60 He wasn't better than Witherspoon

by Anonymousreply 88December 6, 2018 5:34 PM

[quote]PATRICIA Mara is her real name...I guess Rooney (her middle name?) is way more goth/quirky/emo or whatever she is going for.

She comes from NFL royalty. Her maternal great-grandfather, Art Rooney, founded the Pittsburgh Steelers, and her paternal great-grandfather, Tim Mara, founded the NY Giants. Both families still own their respective teams. I guess she dropped Patricia to put more emphasis on her family's surnames and heritage.

by Anonymousreply 89December 6, 2018 5:48 PM

She went by Trish and Trisha all of her life until recently. Her mother and grandmother and all friends and family still call her Trisha.

Her career is woefully at a stand still, and I blame Phoenix for that. Since they've become a couple her choices are abstract and weird and she's clearly listening to him on what roles to take. Her last five movies or so were horrible and failed miserable.

Phoenix's reluctance to accept anything mainstream has impacted her quite negatively. Because she's a normal apple pie girl who used to dress like a J Crew saleswoman .... now it's all black and dirty Chuck Taylor's and oversized flannels and no makeup and generally looking like a sewER RAT whenever she leaves their house together. Essentially, how he dresses.

It's been terrible for her career and image and everything.

by Anonymousreply 90December 6, 2018 6:28 PM

She also sucks R90.

Never liked her in anything.

by Anonymousreply 91December 6, 2018 8:47 PM

Trisha?! With that name she should be wearing a pastel pink sweatshirt with a bear on it.

by Anonymousreply 92December 6, 2018 11:19 PM

[quote] Phoenix's reluctance to accept anything mainstream has impacted her quite negatively.

He is not averse to making big budget or commercial films. He loves the cash.

He's making Joker for Warner Brothers right now.

by Anonymousreply 93December 7, 2018 6:16 AM

And what is Rooney doing while he is doing “Joker”?

by Anonymousreply 94December 7, 2018 8:45 AM

I want to hear more about Rooney’s “real life” as Trisha!

by Anonymousreply 95December 7, 2018 8:46 AM

Don't like Rooney Mara. She's like Alicia Viclander (?). Every one telling us how beautiful, talented. Stunning, a star. Nope. Both she and Joaquin seem so off. They are probably sitting at home shooting heroin all day.

by Anonymousreply 96December 7, 2018 9:26 AM

I want to know about her former boyfriend Charlie MacDowell. Did he have a falling out with Rooney?

by Anonymousreply 97December 7, 2018 12:35 PM

I thought Mara was wonderful in Carol, and if the Academy was going to give a category fraud supporting Oscar to a lead actress that year, she should have won and not Alicia Vikander.

by Anonymousreply 98December 7, 2018 1:20 PM

Awww. They're both animal rights advocates. Vegans, etc. Love them.

by Anonymousreply 99December 7, 2018 1:29 PM

Funnily enough, Mara thought she was going to win for Carol.... when they showed all actresses on screen when they say Vikander's name, Rooney has some kind of inner fit and nods and convulses and her tongue comes out of her mouth ... so fucking weird. She generally thought her name was about to be read.

She looked like a kitten with epilepsy LOL. Someone turn that into a GIF asap!

by Anonymousreply 100December 7, 2018 5:45 PM

R100 why would she think that? The race was between Kate Winslet (won Golden Globe and BAFTA) and Alicia Vikander (won SAG, had a banner year with EX-MACHINA for which she also received Oscar buzz). Those are the precursors that matter., Almost nobody was predicting Mara.

by Anonymousreply 101December 7, 2018 5:49 PM

Why? Prolly Because HARVEY got her into that category and promised her if she .... (insert word) .... then she would win.

Problem for old Roons is that he promised Alicia the same thong!!!

by Anonymousreply 102December 7, 2018 6:13 PM

I don't think Mara had any delusions that she would win, considering who was picking up the precursors.

by Anonymousreply 103December 7, 2018 6:21 PM

Rooney sucked in Carol. Cate Blanchett could have chemistry with a bath towel, but nothing there.

How it should've gone:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104December 7, 2018 6:37 PM

So what are these two losers up to these days? He totally ruined her career.

by Anonymousreply 105February 12, 2019 5:04 AM

Rooney really needs to jumpstar her film career--it's pretty much stalled.

Unlike Rooney, Joaquin already has a strong enough reputation to keep going strong, despite some of the bizarre behavior over the years.

by Anonymousreply 106February 12, 2019 5:12 AM

Thank god R105. She sucks.

by Anonymousreply 107February 12, 2019 5:58 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if they got married.

by Anonymousreply 108February 12, 2019 6:15 AM

R14 That was me! It was on one of the HRT threads.

by Anonymousreply 109February 12, 2019 6:17 AM

Rooney is such a crashing bore. Phoenix could have done much better. Everyone knows what Rooney really likes.......

by Anonymousreply 110February 12, 2019 6:23 AM

Clam?

by Anonymousreply 111February 12, 2019 6:54 PM

Love Rooney

by Anonymousreply 112February 14, 2019 7:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!