Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Fleabag" on Amazon Video

It's really good. She's like a DLer.

The "very good-looking" fuckbuddy isn't that hot, though.

She's self-destructive, makes huge mistakes, but is also surrounded by sociopaths who've done their part to make things shitty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175February 24, 2020 1:39 PM

Here's the series on Amazon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2017 4:26 AM

It's very good OP and very funny.

And you can understand the accents without much trouble.

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2017 4:30 AM

"Chewing Gum" in Netflix is similar in a way (breaking the fourth wall, UK, sex-obsessed). Both leads wrote their respectives series (both started as playwrights).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2017 5:23 AM

Is Fleabag on BBC1 in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2017 2:35 PM

The trailer has kind of a Peep Show vibe...and I see Olivia Colman (Sophie) is in this too. I didn't think the trailer was as funny as Peep Show, though. Maybe I'll give it a shot, though.

"Very good-looking" means something different on British tv than it would in America, in any case.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2017 4:37 PM

[quote]Is Fleabag on BBC1 in the UK?

Ya, it is. I watched the whole thing the night of the election. It sure helped with the anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2017 4:40 PM

Ben Aldridge is the "very good-looking" "Arsehole Guy" (character's name). He's okay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2017 5:19 PM

I can't wait to watch it, looks right up my alley. And everyone should watch Chewing Gum, btw, it's absolutely amazing-- quick, quirky, sexy, but a bit grungy and realistic. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2017 5:28 PM

Season 2 has been announced today!

Unfortunately, we'll have to wait until 2019 to watch it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 26, 2017 1:19 PM

Very funny but very uncomfortable to watch.

by Anonymousreply 10August 26, 2017 2:19 PM

I thought it was awful.

by Anonymousreply 11August 26, 2017 2:30 PM

I watched it last winter when it was first on Amazon. Hilarious and squirm-inducing in the best way. I look forward to Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 12August 26, 2017 2:35 PM

Not familiar with either 'Fleabag' or 'Chewing Gum' so I decided to check out some clips on Youtube. I was drawn more to 'Chewing Gum', the main actress is both hilarious and fearless.

by Anonymousreply 13August 26, 2017 6:06 PM

Interview with the producer, discussing the show at length. Second season to air in early 2019 and will be set a year after the first one.

[quote]When I visit Hampson at her London office, I mention the first season’s novelistic qualities. The shock value seems hard to repeat. How will they overcome Difficult Second Album syndrome? “The key is to not retread old ground”, Hampson believes. “Fleabag’s in a very different place in life from where we left her. The whole of the first series, it was a façade. She was shiny and prim on top, but you didn’t know she was grieving underneath it all. In that last episode, we saw she was broken. We can’t go back to pretending she’s fine again.” There will be a time jump, though. “Whatever our story is, we’re going to start a year on from where we left off.” (Does that mean there’ll be a scene with Fleabag pleasuring herself to Donald Trump? I didn’t ask.)

Can't come soon enough!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 5, 2018 7:06 PM

I loved both though, without giving anything away, Fleabag is also deeply sad. Chewing Gum is something else altogether and Michaela Cole is terrific in Black Mirror as well.

The Derry Girls is also well worth watching if you haven't yet seen it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 5, 2018 7:17 PM

I binge watched this on election night. I guess this is one show I will never forget.

by Anonymousreply 16April 5, 2018 7:20 PM

Tracey Ullman was really pushing this show a year ago. Never saw it.

by Anonymousreply 17April 5, 2018 7:45 PM

Kumail Nanjiani on Twitter:

[quote]I know I’m late, but Fleabag on Amazon is a miracle. There’s a chance I’ve never loved anything more.

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2018 1:09 AM

I was pleasantly surprised to learn this morning that the first episode of the new season is out! On BBC iPlayer and BBC3, that is. It's coming to BBC1 this evening. Can't wait to see Andrew Scott's priest character. And Kristin Scott-Thomas, and Fiona Shaw, and Olivia freaking Colman!

It will be available internationally on Amazon Prime Video from 17th May.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 4, 2019 10:50 AM

i Watched season 1 when it came out, i thought the actress playing the stepmother was awful. then i found out she was Olivia Colman.

by Anonymousreply 20March 4, 2019 11:30 AM

I couldn't get into it...it is really dark. I love I'm Sorry though.

by Anonymousreply 21March 4, 2019 11:33 AM

I watched it and didn't like it. The chick Fleabag is completely unlikable, no redeeming qualities. Maybe if she seemed more horrified by the fucked up behavior of others but she didn't. It was almost like she was getting off on others bad behavior and was amused by her own.

Killing Eve is great though.

by Anonymousreply 22March 4, 2019 11:45 AM

Is this another one of those "Oh hi everyone, we're all charmless sociopaths doing shocking things in a repulsive way!" sitcoms?

by Anonymousreply 23March 4, 2019 12:03 PM

The first episode of the second season sure is promising. Andrew Scott looks cuter than ever, although the bad hair genes are slowly coming home to roost, unfortunately.

r22 I love that with this show because I know people like that who are natural disasters manifest. It's all fun and games until shit blows up massively. I don't think the showrunner is sympathetic to the main character she plays at all. She's judging her by showing the consequences of her actions at the very end.

r23 There are great moments of sibling and just human connection throughout. The cuntish behaviour makes those moments stand out even more.

by Anonymousreply 24March 4, 2019 12:12 PM

I prefer my tv shows about mentally ill women with music, I love Crazy Ex Girlfriend. Similar to Fleabag it's about a hot mess of a woman but with musical numbers.

by Anonymousreply 25March 5, 2019 2:09 AM

The second and the third episode have been so, [italic]so good[/italic], I can't wait for more people to see this in May. A couple of gags almost made me choke on my food, but it's brilliant and snappy throughout.

by Anonymousreply 26March 19, 2019 6:30 PM

I loved Derry girls too R15. I especially love the main blonde girl's Mom.

by Anonymousreply 27March 19, 2019 6:37 PM

Male nudity quotient?

by Anonymousreply 28March 19, 2019 6:50 PM

The BBC made her cut out the word "cunt" while referring to the priest in the second season. So you can imagine how much nudity there is. There's lots of prosthetic penises, though.

by Anonymousreply 29March 19, 2019 6:53 PM

I got some misinformation and thought Fleabag was on Amazon Prime as of now, waah! Counting down to May. Derry Girls' next season is another one I'm looking forward to. I also loved Toast of London...yes!

by Anonymousreply 30March 19, 2019 6:58 PM

I hate this shit.

I tried twice to watch it.

Gave up after 3 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 31March 19, 2019 7:10 PM

It's just not for you and that's fine. But saying you hate it after only having seen three minutes of it seems odd.

by Anonymousreply 32March 19, 2019 7:13 PM

I only need 3 minutes to know something's shit.

And this is VERY shit.

by Anonymousreply 33March 19, 2019 7:13 PM

It’s not shit.

by Anonymousreply 34March 19, 2019 7:15 PM

It is shit.

by Anonymousreply 35March 19, 2019 7:17 PM

r33 Good for you.

by Anonymousreply 36March 19, 2019 7:17 PM

Suburban frau humour.

by Anonymousreply 37March 19, 2019 7:17 PM

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 38March 19, 2019 7:17 PM

Yep.

by Anonymousreply 39March 19, 2019 7:17 PM

The second episode had Olivia Colman and Fiona Shaw both revelling in their respecting roles and I thought my brain might explode from all the delight. Same for Kristin Scott-Thomas in the third episode. I just want to throw a truckload of hard cash at Phoebe so she can continue making this with these fabulous actresses.

I wish Miriam Margolyes were on this show as well.

by Anonymousreply 40March 19, 2019 7:24 PM

[quote]The second episode had Olivia Colman

Oh, God - she's in EVERYTHING. I'm so sick of her.

by Anonymousreply 41March 19, 2019 7:27 PM

It’s not shit but since you think it is why are you even on this thread?

by Anonymousreply 42March 19, 2019 7:27 PM

You're here to stay, aren't you, r41?

by Anonymousreply 43March 19, 2019 7:27 PM

[quote]It’s not shit but since you think it is why are you even on this thread?

This is only for fangurls who say how great it is?

by Anonymousreply 44March 19, 2019 7:33 PM

How many different ways can you say it’s shit though?

by Anonymousreply 45March 19, 2019 7:35 PM

This show is incredible.

by Anonymousreply 46March 21, 2019 10:51 AM

Incredibly bad.

by Anonymousreply 47March 21, 2019 11:57 AM

There's always Greg Berlanti's Arrowverse for the jackasses who've come to this thread to shit on something they watched less than 10 minutes of. Or some Andy Cohen-produced garbage on Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 48March 21, 2019 12:13 PM

I watched the first three episodes of season 2, and I cannot stop thinking about it. Probably the most engaging and exciting thing I have watched in awhile.

by Anonymousreply 49March 22, 2019 1:21 AM

The kind of woman housewives find “edgy”. The show has some moments but it’s that same old Brit cunty-mannish-women-are-hilarious humour. Breaking the 4th wall is tired.

Overall the show is feh.

by Anonymousreply 50March 22, 2019 1:40 AM

My fiends and I certainly aren't housewives and we all find it amazing. But good for you for dismissing everyone who likes this show as a housewife; it's not misogynistic at all or anything. It also speaks volumes about why you probably don't enjoy this show. In any case, it's more incisive than edgy. Who even says "edgy" anymore, really?

r49 Agreed! Nothing profound has happened yet but I find myself thinking about it constantly as well, and about all the vicious cycles in my own life. The sibling dynamic is incredible, with a devastating remark always coming at the perfect time. Already excited for the big finish.

[SPOILER] Her breaking the fourth wall is being addressed by another character in the second season, so that's something we haven't seen before.

by Anonymousreply 51March 22, 2019 1:49 AM

[quote]Who even says "edgy" anymore, really?

He was being ironic.

But anyone who likes this sort of tired cliché unfunny rubbish wouldn't get that.

by Anonymousreply 52March 22, 2019 2:00 AM

R51, you certainly write like one.

by Anonymousreply 53March 22, 2019 2:11 AM

R7 looks good to me. Except for the dweeby way he's buttoned the top button.

by Anonymousreply 54March 22, 2019 2:37 AM

r53 And you type extremely old. But enough about our writing styles. Back to the show, dear!

by Anonymousreply 55March 22, 2019 3:17 AM

I had no idea Skinner was gay. Here with another one who's been making waves on DL recently - Jonathan Bailey. I wish he had an Insta, though. He seems fun.

r52 Why are you still here? You're just making a spectacle of yourself, honestly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 22, 2019 3:26 AM

Is Skinner gay, or out?

by Anonymousreply 57March 22, 2019 3:48 AM

Think both r57.

by Anonymousreply 58March 22, 2019 3:51 AM

You can see how hysterically funny she is from this clip. I managed just under 2 minutes of this,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59March 22, 2019 6:06 PM

The main actress and Andrew Scott have incredible chemistry. They've used it in an interesting way, really playing with the audience. I gasped at the last scene of the last episode.

by Anonymousreply 60March 28, 2019 5:57 AM

I will check out Fleabag. I have an Amazon recommendation: the tv show Tokyo Girl.

by Anonymousreply 61March 28, 2019 6:12 AM

Andrew Scott last night: a more convincing heterosexual male than *any* heterosexual male alive. Blimey!

by Anonymousreply 62April 2, 2019 7:00 PM

r62 Right?! That shit was crazy hot.

by Anonymousreply 63April 2, 2019 7:09 PM

Just binge-watched Season 1. Cannot wait for Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 64April 2, 2019 7:11 PM

She's currently in NYC doing the stage version at Soho Playhouse. It's sold out.

Season 2 is interesting. There are some funny bits, but there are also some moments where someone should have reigned her in a bit. As usual, Olivia Colman does excellent work.

by Anonymousreply 65April 2, 2019 7:13 PM

[quote][SPOILER] Her breaking the fourth wall is being addressed by another character in the second season, so that's something we haven't seen before.

Which is a really poor concept. The audience doesn't want to share her attention with anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 66April 2, 2019 7:15 PM

I think Ben Aldridge is HAF!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 2, 2019 7:16 PM

Scott was a great Hamlet on stage and he's a perfect priest in sin here.

by Anonymousreply 68April 2, 2019 7:18 PM

r66 I disagree; I like that she's experimenting with the form. Besides, it's just six episodes this season and it's probably the last season, so why not go all out.

by Anonymousreply 69April 2, 2019 7:20 PM

There's only one episode left, R69 ? Now I'm sad.

by Anonymousreply 70April 2, 2019 7:21 PM

r70 Yes, it's outrageous!

by Anonymousreply 71April 2, 2019 7:22 PM

[quote]Besides, it's just six episodes this season and it's probably the last season, so why not go all out.

Do you think it is the last season?

by Anonymousreply 72April 2, 2019 7:23 PM

r72 I think so, yes. She had to basically be harassed into doing this one as a fan service as it is, and has plenty of other projects on her mind. I'd hate to see her make another season while hating the show.

by Anonymousreply 73April 2, 2019 7:28 PM

I wish she’d get that mole removed on the side of her forehead.

by Anonymousreply 74April 2, 2019 7:30 PM

She has claimed it is. At least until she is 50. Hopefully not. I agree with r69, it is a clever playing with the form. I think I may be enjoying this season more than the first season. Though I am watching this one weekly, rather than binge watching it, which may be the difference.

by Anonymousreply 75April 2, 2019 7:30 PM

The tension building over the season has been so satisfying. The culmination last night was so hot.

by Anonymousreply 76April 2, 2019 7:32 PM

I'm hoping for the same kind of reckoning next week as in the last season. But who knows, she might subvert those expectations and decide on a different ending.

by Anonymousreply 77April 2, 2019 7:34 PM

I think so. She loves to subvert expectations, so I'm going in with a blank slate of expectations. There will be the wedding.

by Anonymousreply 78April 2, 2019 7:37 PM

Is season 2 on Amazon now?

by Anonymousreply 79April 2, 2019 7:37 PM

r76 Who knew the word "kneel" could sound so hot? I was certain he'd be put off by her after he overheard her sex story at the door, but no, it didn't go into that virgin-whore territory at all. Great writing.

r78 I want to see Colman's character HUMILIATED next week so badly, it's not even funny. I want her to stroke out on the spot; nothing less than that will do.

by Anonymousreply 80April 2, 2019 7:39 PM

r79 May 17th!

by Anonymousreply 81April 2, 2019 7:40 PM

Thanks r81!

by Anonymousreply 82April 2, 2019 7:42 PM

You should keep off the thread, there are too many spoilers!

by Anonymousreply 83April 2, 2019 10:13 PM

I think the priest noticing her asides show he is very observant and attuned to her. It is the first time we have seen anyway get her on that level, and it is a really interesting and original way of showing that.

by Anonymousreply 84April 3, 2019 1:16 AM

She also wrote and stars in “Crashing” (on Netflix) with the adorable Jonathan Bailey.

by Anonymousreply 85April 3, 2019 1:40 AM

It's funny enough, but the actors always make a sucking/smacking sound when they deliver their lines. It's so distracting, I had to stop watching.

by Anonymousreply 86April 3, 2019 1:10 PM

r85 I watched Crashing for the first time just last month. Another little gem of a show and I'm glad Bailey's taut bod got captured on celluloid for posterity. I've seen people calling for a second season of that one as well, but that definitely won't happen as she's matured creatively too much since then.

r86 I hadn't noticed that but I doubt it's specific to this show. Perhaps it's a RADA thing?

by Anonymousreply 87April 3, 2019 1:39 PM

I don't find it funny at all. I don't know what I'm supposed to find funny.

by Anonymousreply 88April 3, 2019 1:48 PM

It's just not your type of humour and that's perfectly fine. All sorts of other comedy shows don't work for me either.

by Anonymousreply 89April 3, 2019 1:51 PM

Maybe the final episode will have all the characters talking to the camera.

by Anonymousreply 90April 3, 2019 2:00 PM

r90 I was expecting Claire's drunkard husband to address the camera when Fleabag said "It's a hamster" right in front of him. But no, apparently the priest is special somehow in that he alone registers those asides.

On an unrelated note, I just noticed PWB's character's name has never actually been mentioned on this show. How about that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91April 3, 2019 2:08 PM

R62 yes so damn hot! He is a fantastic actor

by Anonymousreply 92April 3, 2019 2:15 PM

r91, did you notice at the end of episode 5 how she not only acknowledged the camera, but actually pushed it out of view? She's a sly one with playing with the form!

by Anonymousreply 93April 3, 2019 2:30 PM

r93 Yes! She's been gradually escalating the effect from the first episode of this season onward. I like how she basically implied with that gesture, "This moment is something special and so is just for me." Or perhaps it's a sign that she's moving on from having an audience altogether.

by Anonymousreply 94April 3, 2019 2:56 PM

Or maybe the last episode will be her trying to look at the camera and not being able to do so! Oh, I've got you figured out Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

by Anonymousreply 95April 3, 2019 2:59 PM

Or, that for the first time that we've seen, she had no intention of disassociating during sex. She was going to give him all of herself in that moment. Clever!

by Anonymousreply 96April 3, 2019 6:22 PM

The next episode is the end, apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 5, 2019 8:48 AM

[quote]I don't find it funny at all. I don't know what I'm supposed to find funny.

You need to be under 25 and femme.

by Anonymousreply 98April 5, 2019 8:53 AM

[quote]The next episode is the end, apparently.

Thank God for that.

by Anonymousreply 99April 5, 2019 8:53 AM

[quote] surrounded by sociopaths who've done their part to make things shitty.

Yeah I posted here enough years to know what that feels like.

by Anonymousreply 100April 5, 2019 8:54 AM

R100 haha

by Anonymousreply 101April 5, 2019 8:55 AM

R99 are you watching it? You seem very invested!

by Anonymousreply 102April 5, 2019 8:57 AM

I put little faith in trailers and usually just skip them. However watching this trailer it looks like it might be good. That one fellow briefly seen also played Prince William in The Windsors. He seems to get steady work.

by Anonymousreply 103April 5, 2019 9:17 AM

I would absolutely recommend it if the trailer is appealing to you. I think people can tell pretty quickly if it is a show they'll respond to. I find if you like it, you love it. I absolutely do.

by Anonymousreply 104April 5, 2019 10:00 AM

Yup, it ends on Monday. But we'll always have these twelve perfect episodes, rather than twelve seasons of it slowly dying on its ass, were this an American production.

The (two) crazy posters who keep railing against the show in this thread remind me of those people who feel personally attacked when you inform them you don't do anal (or oral, in my case). It's like they feel anyone who doesn't have the exact same preferences as them is broken somehow and they make it into their personal mission to pester you into changing your mind. Quite infantile, really.

Though on DL I've noticed this phenomenon mostly on threads about shows with strong female leads. Figures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 5, 2019 10:56 AM

Yes, r94 but Andrew also acknowledged her acknowledging the camera, screaming at her stop doing it.

by Anonymousreply 106April 5, 2019 11:53 AM

[quote]The next episode is the end, apparently.

Oh, she'll be back when the money dries up. Look at the cast of Cold Feet. Every one of them came back for the reboot. (They even asked Helen Baxendale back and she said, "Are you out of your fucking mind? I'm not coming back as a ghost.")

by Anonymousreply 107April 5, 2019 3:31 PM

They wrapped it up pretty perfectly and I think conclusively.

by Anonymousreply 108April 8, 2019 11:15 PM

When she shook her head at the camera in the ending smiling with tears in her eyes, pretty much saying "no, you can't follow me anymore," and then walked off, turned and waved bye. Brilliantly done.

by Anonymousreply 109April 9, 2019 12:08 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't like the ending. In fact, I didn't like the whole episode.

r109 is correct in the description of the last scene, but I felt it was too tied to her thinking she found love and then didn't. I got more of a feeling of "I want to be alone for a bit" rather than "This is goodbye."

by Anonymousreply 110April 9, 2019 1:38 PM

Standing ovation. The scene where they were sitting at the bus stop and he clasped her hand. The look they exchange was really beautiful and nuanced.

by Anonymousreply 111April 9, 2019 4:27 PM

R110, I thought the talking to camera was linked to her feeling grief, shame, loneliness, worries she would ever love someone again and that she was quite broken. It was her way of coping, and a sign of her issues. She needed the camera less and less as she made peace with and connected with her family. Which had been eluding her since season 1. She also saw with the priest she could love again, and as the priest said in his sermon, love means hope.

She walked away, with healing, closure, hope and piece of her mother with her still. Fleabag no longer needed us, so she said goodbye. It was a very positive thing for her. If there were another season, it would mean that she had backslid, which wouldn't be necessary. I thought it wrapped it up well.

by Anonymousreply 112April 9, 2019 10:00 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113April 9, 2019 11:30 PM

I liked the finale, but it didn't have the bite I always love. It was really tying up loose ends, giving it a finality. I was not as electrified as I have been by previous episodes, which is disappointing. But dysfunction makes the most engaging fiction for me. Anyway the season as a whole was absolutely an A+.

by Anonymousreply 114April 10, 2019 3:17 AM

The brother-in-law scene went on waaaaaaaaay too long in the final episode.

by Anonymousreply 115April 10, 2019 6:30 PM

The frocks the sisters wore at wedding were HIDEOUS. Cliaire looks like she's in a peach pastel crochet coathanger coverlet.

It must have been a freezing location shoot though and not the ostensibly summer garden wedding too - I found myself distracted by all the red tipped noses and clearly cold chillled faces.

Second season improved on first by miles.

Worth it for the hot Finn and nothing was hotter than PWB Scott "kneel" confessinal scene.

by Anonymousreply 116April 11, 2019 12:47 PM

The second series was perfect.

It's insanely big news here in the UK. Surprised they chose to air Killing Eve in the US first rather than capitalise on PWB being front page news at the moment with Fleabag.

Also surprised it didn't leak that this would be the last series since the ending is so "final".

by Anonymousreply 117April 11, 2019 12:51 PM

I'm firmly in the camp that loved that finale! It's less showy than the first season's, but also more mature in a way. When they sat down at the bus stop and she asked, out of nowhere, "It's God, isn't it?", something just exploded inside me. It seemingly came out of nowhere because he was such a relaxed priest and he was kissing her just before the ceremony. When was the last time faith and romantic love were explored in such a way? And PWB is the last person I'd expect this from.

And her dad finally stringing a full sentence together, only to tell her she feels love deeply and that's why it hurts her so much. And the little statue being a substitute for her mother, eugh. What a perfect little treasure of a show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118April 11, 2019 5:03 PM

She may be being brought into punch up the latest Bond script.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119April 14, 2019 1:43 PM

I don't think most Americans get British humor. I hated this series, especially the female lead. I thought she was crass and unlikeable, there was something creepy about her. Killing Eve is way more popular here in the US, rarely was Fleabag talked about.

by Anonymousreply 120April 14, 2019 2:08 PM

Long after the first season aired, Fleabag was talked about by everyone I follow on Twitter and listen to on the podcast who just discovered the show. And those were very much all Americans. We just happen to follow different circles, that's all.

[quote]I don't think most Americans get British humor.

I really wouldn't speculate and generalise like that without a quality representative survey before me. That's an anecdotal statement based on a sample of one.

by Anonymousreply 121April 14, 2019 2:35 PM

I hate Fleabag. Everything is so mannered about it and you can tell this girl is someone who loathes anything genuine or emotional.

by Anonymousreply 122April 14, 2019 7:26 PM

Some people are hardened and damaged, and are drawn to that sort of fiction. I know I am. It is very soothing and cathartic to experience how you feel inside, outside of yourself. It allows you to question and interrogate what that is. This show blew me away, but I don't expect this show to have a universal appeal.

by Anonymousreply 123April 15, 2019 4:03 AM

A conversation and Q&A with Andrew Scott of Fleabag.

Interesting that SAG-AFTRA is doing these events for British shows as well, especially those that haven't aired in the US yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124April 26, 2019 4:08 PM

Just watched that video all the way through. Andrew Scott is pure sex. Handsome, intelligent, cool. funny. My God!

by Anonymousreply 125April 26, 2019 4:42 PM

Does Andrew Scott wear a very bad hairpiece or has he got the worst possible style?

by Anonymousreply 126April 26, 2019 7:34 PM

Out on Amazon today!

by Anonymousreply 127May 17, 2019 5:17 PM

I rewatched Season 1 of Fleabag again because I didn't remember anything from the first season. The motorcycle guy that likes fucking her asshole and doesn't have a name is very good-looking.

Yup, he's very very good-looking, handsome, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128May 19, 2019 8:41 PM

Agreed, he's delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129May 19, 2019 8:44 PM

Such a shame this show is not eligible for any of the US awards. I've seen nothing but praise for the second season.

by Anonymousreply 130May 26, 2019 6:58 PM

Hated season 1 but loved season 2 of Fleabag. I gave season 2 a chance after so many people said it was good and I was not disappointed. Don’t really like Killing Eve but I am going to give it another shot.

by Anonymousreply 131May 26, 2019 7:06 PM

The AV Club has such nice write-ups of the episodes. I only realised when reading them that Fleabag isn't the only one who's not named on the show; Dad and Godmother are the same in that regard.

In fact, in the last-ever episode, Olivia Colman seems to have a little meta moment of breaking the fourth wall herself when she looks at Dad while she's introducing people, stops for a moment and goes "This is... this is... God, how extraordinary... I always just call you darling..." And we get a glance from Phoebe in that moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132May 26, 2019 7:09 PM

Has anyone managed to track down the Insta of the extra who plays Asif, the gorgeous bisexual Syrian refugee, in the finale?

by Anonymousreply 133May 26, 2019 7:14 PM

R94 and r106, I took the priest’s detection of Fleabag’s breakage of the fourth wall as a sign of deeper connection to her than the other characters.

by Anonymousreply 134May 26, 2019 7:15 PM

r134 Yes, you're right, but we weren't as far along into the season at that point to recognise that yet. He's the one who got the closest to her and saw the wall breaking as a defence mechanism. The rest were too involved with themselves to notice.

There's also been some speculation that she started with the glances after Boo's death and that she's actually addressing her. Note that she never looks into the camera in the flashbacks before Boo died.

by Anonymousreply 135May 26, 2019 7:27 PM

Asif, for reference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136May 26, 2019 8:17 PM

Bring me his Insta!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137May 26, 2019 8:17 PM

R131 I tried and I don't like Killing Eve either. Sandra Oh drives me nuts.

by Anonymousreply 138May 29, 2019 4:25 PM

"Where's Claire?!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139May 30, 2019 12:27 PM

I don’t like it much. She has a Lena Dunham meets Bridget Jones vibe I can’t get behind. At the start of the first episode when she had a late night breakdown on her dad’s door stoop it was all too predictable.

by Anonymousreply 140May 30, 2019 12:41 PM

I didn't like her at first but she kind of grew on me. It's the sister who is an unpleasant bitch. Anyway,, I rewatched the first season and found it funny. The second season with Andrew Scott---who was extremely good-- was more mature and heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 141May 30, 2019 4:47 PM

Her sister, Isobel Waller-Bridge, is a composer and even wrote the dirty lyrics for the choral music.

[quote]Director Harry Bradbeer said, “Iso wrote the lyrics for it. But all the words are basically Latin or Greek words for private parts of the body, repeated at various intervals. They’re basically saying, ‘Cock, cunt, arse.’ So there’s a little detail that not everybody knows.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142June 5, 2019 1:39 AM

Jake G meeting with Phoebe last week. New project?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143June 10, 2019 12:46 PM

Halfway through Season 1.

She's great and I find it generally fascinating. She has a knack for taking a very well worn story path or idea and just taking it slightly in a different direction.

by Anonymousreply 144June 10, 2019 1:29 PM

Watched both seasons this weekend. So good! I definitely preferred the second season. Andrew Scott was delicious as the priest, I had not thought about him since Sherlock, shame on me.

by Anonymousreply 145June 25, 2019 11:04 AM

It's incredibly well written, but awkward, I think someone way upthread said the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 146June 25, 2019 11:21 AM

podcast episode with the adorable andrew scott.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147August 2, 2019 4:19 PM

r147 Thanks for that!

by Anonymousreply 148August 2, 2019 4:38 PM

I love his voice.

by Anonymousreply 149August 3, 2019 1:12 AM

I watched both seasons last week and was completely wowed. It’s easily the best show on television.

by Anonymousreply 150August 3, 2019 1:22 AM

[bold]'Fleabag' Dominates TV Critics Awards[/bold]

[quote]Phoebe Waller-Bridge was officially crowned a critical darling Saturday night at the Television Critics Association's 35th annual awards.

[quote]Waller-Bridge's Amazon comedy Fleabag was the only multiple winner during the awards, taking home the prestigious program of the year prize and wins for best comedy series and individual achievement for her on-screen role. The series, which Waller-Bridge says will not continue after season two, won in all three categories in which it was nominated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151August 4, 2019 10:11 AM

LOVED IT!!

by Anonymousreply 152August 6, 2019 5:13 PM

I only recently discovered Fleabag. I came to DL looking to see if there was a thread. Problem is, I only just finished Season 1. It was extraordinary. But I want to give myself a break before starting season 2.

Is there somewhere I can go to just discuss the first season?

by Anonymousreply 153August 19, 2019 7:38 AM

I have seen both seasons and I love it. I personally find it very touching and funny at the same time. The "It's God, isn't it" line killed me. The cast is superb, all of them. I think it could go for a couple of seasons since there are a lot of plot lines we could follow: her father's marriage, Claire/Klare... and a great character worth exploring would be the loan employee that she meets again at the retreat and appears briefly in her cafe a couple of times. I love that character.

Oh well. Time to rewatch it. It was really one of the best things out there.

by Anonymousreply 154August 19, 2019 7:57 AM

R153 I liked season two even more than season one. I may have to rewatch it again.

by Anonymousreply 155August 20, 2019 10:51 AM

r153 Unfortunately, I haven't managed to find any first season threads here on DL, or on the official Fleabag subreddit. Which is weird because it came out only in 2016, though it's also true that it was a niche thing for a while.

by Anonymousreply 156August 20, 2019 12:09 PM

[quote]and a great character worth exploring would be the loan employee that she meets again at the retreat and appears briefly in her cafe a couple of times. I love that character.

Interesting; haven't seen that mentioned before. I'll have to pay more attention to him on a rewatch.

by Anonymousreply 157August 20, 2019 12:10 PM

My partner and I binge watched both seasons after the Emmys. It lived up to the hype in our opinion. I was disappointed before watching it that Phoebe Waller-Bridge was adamant that the show was over, but now that I've seen it I understand. It ended perfectly. As posters above have noted, Fleabag realizes she can love again and get hurt again and she will live on. Her sister finally extricates herself from her self-described douchebag husband and weird stepson to give love a chance with her Finnish work colleague.

I was disappointed the father married Olivia Colman's character. In the first episode where Colman's character appears, in an aside to the audience, Fleabag says she's a cunt. She doesn't seem like one at first, but oh boy, does the cuntiness come out. But otherwise, she wrapped it up right. Too bad that in the U.S. they don't allow for shows to end when the creator wants them to end.

by Anonymousreply 158September 28, 2019 2:05 PM

I was not familiar with Andrew Scott before "Fleabag" (I know, bad gay!), but his addition to Season Two was a coup.

I see that NT Live will be showing his starring role in Noel Coward's "Present Laughter" this fall. I'm generally not a big Coward fan, but will make a point of seeing Andrew Scott performances more now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159September 28, 2019 2:37 PM

I watched it yesterday. very good, better than I expected it to be and I even cried a little.

by Anonymousreply 160September 28, 2019 2:42 PM

the statue was not the same size in season 2, it was much bigger.

I only watched this after the emmy wins. it was well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 161September 28, 2019 2:48 PM

Just binge-watched the entire thing while packing things into bins and taking apart a bed frame.

Really good.

by Anonymousreply 162September 28, 2019 8:03 PM

[quote]Just binge-watched the entire thing while packing things into bins and taking apart a bed frame.

It's a very breezy binge. I went through both seasons in one sitting. It moves quickly but it's still extremely potent.

And I love that she had two openly gay actors playing her love interest: Andrew Scott in S2 and Hugh Skinner in S1. This shows that gay actors can play believable straight love interests.

by Anonymousreply 163September 28, 2019 8:05 PM

Andrew Scott is apparently really good in Modern Love, coming to Amazon in October, and will also be playing the lead in Showtime's Ripley. It's all happening for him. Whishaw next, please! And Bailey after him...

by Anonymousreply 164September 28, 2019 8:15 PM

Andrew Scott is gay?

by Anonymousreply 165September 28, 2019 11:09 PM

r165 He is!

by Anonymousreply 166September 28, 2019 11:10 PM

Loved both seasons but adored s2. Andrew Scott was fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 167September 29, 2019 3:02 AM

I watched season 2 three times - I adore it!

by Anonymousreply 168October 1, 2019 11:42 PM

r168 This is all sorts of pathetic, but I've watched it twice now and pretended I was watching it through the eyes of someone who had never seen it before the second time around. 😊

by Anonymousreply 169October 2, 2019 12:00 AM

Season 1 was funny and clever....but Season 2 really kicked it up a notch. Just about perfect.

Hot Priest is, well, Hot.

by Anonymousreply 170October 2, 2019 12:03 AM

Watched the first episode when it first came out and was not impressed. I didn't like anyone's character, especially hers. A couple of months ago, after all the hype, I figured I'd give it another chance. Found that season one got better as it went along, and liked it a lot by the end. But Season two was brilliant, hreads and tails above the first one.

by Anonymousreply 171October 2, 2019 12:53 AM

I've seen the trailers and I'm not very interested in watching this. The premise seems overdone (I'm a fucked up young woman just trying to make my way in the world and bone dudes look how quirky and sad I am) and I can't stand shows that try to make asshole characters sympathetically funny. Part of the reason shows like It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia succeed is the fact that the show runners don't try to make you sympathize with any of the sociopathic characters. They're horrible people and the audience is supposed to know that. You're supposed to laugh at what awful people these characters are and not feel bad for them as their schemes blow up in their face. This show is showing us those same horrible characters but trying to pass their behavior off as quirky and relatable.

by Anonymousreply 172February 23, 2020 3:20 AM

Checked it out last night and felt it was uninspired. This premise has been done a million times. I'm not interested in seeing another quirky Daria-like self destructive young woman deal with the ups and downs of being single. I'm tired of it.

by Anonymousreply 173February 23, 2020 3:22 AM

Brilliance is lost on the weak of mind.

by Anonymousreply 174February 24, 2020 1:07 PM

The show is cute but I don't understand all of the hype and awards.

by Anonymousreply 175February 24, 2020 1:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!