Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Avengers: Infinity War to be most expensive film in history at $489 million. Shattering old record of $378.5 million.

And will film in Scotland, randomly enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306May 6, 2018 10:33 AM

It just mean tax credit dear. Hollywood love 'em free money.

by Anonymousreply 1January 10, 2017 2:11 AM

I'm so excited for this.

by Anonymousreply 2January 10, 2017 2:11 AM

[quote]I'm so excited for this.

I am, but I also think this movie is going to be a bit of a shallow mess (even for a Marvel movie). The size of the cast is staggeringly huge, it basically involves everyone from every Marvel movie so far. You can't really adequately do much with so many fucking characters in the span of a ~2hr or so movie.

Also, I wonder how much of this massive budget is just actor's salaries.

by Anonymousreply 3January 10, 2017 2:18 AM

R3 I think so too, but I read that Part 1 is going to be different than Part 2, and Thanos won't show up until the end act of Part 1, which makes a lot of sense. I think Part 1 is going to be the new Avengers (Scarlet Witch, Vision, Falcon, AntMan, etc) and Part 2 will be everyone because it's a greater threat.

I don't even think Spider-Man is 100% confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 4January 10, 2017 2:22 AM

I don't know a single soul who sees these movies. And I'm happy about that.

by Anonymousreply 5January 10, 2017 2:26 AM

Hollywood spends ridiculously on movies these days. This sets a terrible precedent.

But I will see it out of curiosity, so well played. Any Marvel movie beats Baffleck and that Wonder Woman chick who can barely speak English.

by Anonymousreply 6January 10, 2017 2:27 AM

Will Patrick Macnee have a cameo?

by Anonymousreply 7January 10, 2017 2:30 AM

R6 She and Amy Adams were the best part of that movie

by Anonymousreply 8January 10, 2017 2:34 AM

Can Iron Man buy me a fly swatter now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 10, 2017 3:22 AM

I'm really excited to see Black Panther in Avengers: Infinity War and see if he will take over for Iron Man in the future films. The standalone looks to be shaping up nicely

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 10, 2017 4:01 AM

God, that is a sickening figure. The arctic ice shelf is cracked 11 miles and the Darfur Orphan has already spoken at R9, but hey, let's throw half a billion dollars at some stupid (and I mean STUPID) comic book movie for the masses of infantalized adults out there. As evidenced by the replies, they'll go see it!

by Anonymousreply 11January 10, 2017 4:21 AM

Agree r11. Fucking sick of these lazy superhero movies and the intellectually dull people that waddle into the theatre to see them. "Duhuh...super man might make a cameo!"

Jesus Christ. And I'm NOT saying we all need to sip claret and discuss Foucault, but there must be some middle ground? Has our culture always been aimed at teenaged boys?

Yes, yes "don't go see it then," you'll say. But there seems to be fewer and fewer options.

by Anonymousreply 12January 10, 2017 4:32 AM

Whatev, who cares about made up weather stuff and random Ni#@er kids not from Good Christian 'Merica

by Anonymousreply 13January 10, 2017 4:34 AM

Liv Tyler is allegedly returning so I wonder if we'll see Ross turn into Red Hulk.

by Anonymousreply 14January 10, 2017 4:40 PM

[quote]But there seems to be fewer and fewer options.

You're just saying that because superhero movies get more attention. There were only about 6 released this year, compared to the flurry of non-blockbuster movies out there.

by Anonymousreply 15January 10, 2017 4:55 PM

I don't really understand why these movies (CGI heavy ones) cost so much. We all know the actors are shot on a green stage/green screen. Everything else is just pixels, created in computer effects lab somewhere. You can't see the money on screen, last years Batman v Superman was hollow junk. In Tim Burton's first Batman they built a huge, very expensive set, you knew it was real. For years Cleopatra was named as the most expensive movie ever. And it looked it. Vast sets, thousands of extras etc. And all real, no CGI. Is CGI really that expensive? A lot of tv shows have a CGI/green screen element, likewise tv commercials. It's sort of mundane now,

by Anonymousreply 16January 10, 2017 5:23 PM

R16 I think the Avengers film have very expensive sets (The Avengers Tower, the Avengers compound, etc) but I'm willing to bet it's so expensive due to all thE CGI for the powers. Characters like Ant Man, Spider Man, Scarlet Witch, Groot, Hulk, Rocket Raccoon, Iron Man, Vision, War Machine, etc all really on special effects.

by Anonymousreply 17January 10, 2017 5:31 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 18January 10, 2017 6:37 PM

I'd like to see a breakdown of all expenses. Isn't most of the stuff done on a computer screen? It's not like they're filming in Mongolia.

by Anonymousreply 19January 10, 2017 6:48 PM

Am I the only one tired of comic book type Movies? Enough already. Titanic was better.

by Anonymousreply 20January 10, 2017 6:51 PM

Spider-Man is confirmed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 10, 2017 6:56 PM

I guess I am in the minority but I am so burned out on these Marvel movies now, especially the ones with multiple superheroes. There's a sameness to them all, and at the same time everything is at stake and nothing's at stake. It's a lot of crash and bam and buildings collapsing.

by Anonymousreply 22January 10, 2017 7:07 PM

There was a problem with the 3D when I watched Doctor Strange so I had to leave early when they restarted. As I was leaving DS was having some kind of Kung Fu training we have seen a hundred times before. I haven't bothered to watch it again.

Not only super hero films but uninspired Star Wars films are boring me The Force Awakens was vastly overrated and nothing I read about Rogue One has made me want to see it.

by Anonymousreply 23January 10, 2017 8:42 PM

[quote]I don't really understand why these movies (CGI heavy ones) cost so much

[quote]I'd like to see a breakdown of all expenses

Chris Hemsworth

Josh Brolin

Chris Pratt

Sebastian Stan

Scarlett Johansson

Benedict Cumberbatch

Brie Larson

Zoe Saldana

Karen Gillan

Jeremy Renner

Chris Evans

Elizabeth Olsen

Bradley Cooper

Vin Diesel

Samuel L. Jackson

Paul Rudd

Benedict Wong

Dave Bautista

Paul Bettany

Chadwick Boseman

Mark Ruffalo

Robert Downey Jr.

With RDJ alone he gets 50 million to show up, ScarJo isn't that far behind.

by Anonymousreply 24January 10, 2017 8:56 PM

I don't think Walt Disney's entire filmography cost that much to produce.

by Anonymousreply 25January 10, 2017 8:58 PM

I thought Captain America: Civil War was really done, a lot more psychological than anything. Captain America 2 is really good as well.

by Anonymousreply 26January 10, 2017 9:06 PM

They don't need that much budget for these movies, look at Deadpool. Even Agents of Shield as a series is pretty good and they don't have the huge budget these shows have. I expect some is the actor salaries but the actors invoked - the ones pulling in the high amounts anyway - will get part of the salary in return for points on the backend gross.

They are filming two movies at the same time, though, correct? That's still ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 27January 10, 2017 9:09 PM

[quote]will get part of the salary in return for points on the backend gross.

Not quite true. For Captain America: Civil War, RDJ got 40 mil UP FRONT plus backend salary. And that was a Captain America movie, where Chris Evans is supposed to be the star.

[quote]will collect around $40 million plus backend participation for “Captain America 3,” said sources, and will receive an additional payout if “Captain America 3” outperforms “Captain America: The Winter Soldier’s”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 10, 2017 9:14 PM

Where's the money going?

by Anonymousreply 29January 10, 2017 9:17 PM

Eh, I kinda love the Captain America/Iron Man movies only because Chris Evans and RBJ make the world believable (to me).

The Thor movies are trash, though. I also didn't like Guardians.

by Anonymousreply 30January 10, 2017 9:18 PM

I want to suck off Dave B.

by Anonymousreply 31January 10, 2017 9:19 PM

Guardians was tons of fun.

by Anonymousreply 32January 10, 2017 9:20 PM

I didn't think there enough 13 year old boys in the world who are interested in seeing this crap.

by Anonymousreply 33January 10, 2017 9:22 PM

R33 an arrogant elitist moron who didn't just let his inner child die, he strangled the life out of him.

by Anonymousreply 34January 10, 2017 9:24 PM

All of that "inner child" crap is just more I'm-OK-You're-OK psychobabble with pedoish undertones.

by Anonymousreply 35January 10, 2017 9:27 PM

Perhaps the inner chid simply got bored with all the crap Hollywood spoon feeds the undemanding public.

by Anonymousreply 36January 10, 2017 9:30 PM

This is gross. Think about how many homeless people could be housed for that amount of money. For some shitty fanboy movie.

by Anonymousreply 37January 10, 2017 9:35 PM

[quote] Perhaps the inner chid simply got bored with all the crap Hollywood spoon feeds the undemanding public.

Even children deserve better than the patronizing junk Hollywood thinks is okay to show them.

by Anonymousreply 38January 10, 2017 9:51 PM

This seems to be the one movie that should have been made YEARS AGO- all the characters coming together to fight evil.

But you know early on, some exec said, "Let's milk the fuck out of this! We'll have prequels, and side-stories, and back-stories; dozens of unnecessary movies to whet their appetites and get their hopes up. Sure the movies will be a disappointment, but they'll come to the next installment expecting it to be the can't-miss-movie of all time. They'll be wrong of course, but fuck 'em- we'll be obscenely rich!

by Anonymousreply 39January 10, 2017 10:07 PM

Eventually the cow's gonna run out of milk.

by Anonymousreply 40January 10, 2017 10:10 PM

Er.....that is what the first Avengers movie was r39, all the heroes coming together to fight.

Now there has been more movies, so there are more characters coming to fight. Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man etc weren't movies when the first Avengers was made.

by Anonymousreply 41January 10, 2017 10:15 PM

I cannot imagine sitting through any more of these endless identical superhero operas. At some point they'll lose their shirts and a new wave will start. Will this be it?

by Anonymousreply 42January 10, 2017 10:24 PM

[quote]At some point they'll lose their shirts

Now that I'd like to see.

by Anonymousreply 43January 10, 2017 10:26 PM

To think people once kvetched about spending $25 million on a single movie musical! The times sure have changed.

by Anonymousreply 44January 10, 2017 10:27 PM

R42 Probably not. DC just started its cinematic universe and the MCU has a ton of characters they can focus on.

I don't get the complaints. People are OBVIOUSLY seeing these, and for the most part, they are really good with great actors attached. Even on the television platform (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage)

Especially during times like this, people can use escapism and messages of hope.

by Anonymousreply 45January 10, 2017 10:28 PM

^ a little creativity and originality can't hurt either.

by Anonymousreply 46January 10, 2017 10:33 PM

Jack Warner, Sid Luft, and I only spent 6 million, and for that you got James Mason and Born in a Trunk, and Me!

by Anonymousreply 47January 10, 2017 10:36 PM

So, focusing on them filming in my homeland for a few minutes...

1. They'll probably want to use central Glasgow to replicate an older US city. They did that in World War Z (the street scenes in "Philadelphia" were actually mostly filmed around George Square) and Cloud Atlas. 2. If they're going to film Edinburgh, it'll either *be* Edinburgh - which is more cinematically recognisable than Glasgow - or they'll use some elements of the city for somewhere in Europe. 3. If they're going "alien landscape", they'll be heading North. Scotland's...very weird in that there are three distinctly different types of landscape - you've got the Southern Uplands/Central Belt (where you find Glasgow and Edinburgh), then directly north of Glasgow (and the impossibly beautiful Stirling), you start going into the Highlands. And *then* you come to the third and wildest region, the North-West Highlands. This area is contained in an area with a border that roughly runs from Fort William, up the Great Glen, all the way up to Inverness and features some of the most dramatic landscapes we have. If they want "Alien Planet" they could do the cliche and go to Skye (though I'd rather they go to Sutherland). If they wanted unearthly beauty, they could go to one of the Outer Hebrides. If you want to get an idea of how creepy the north-west of Scotland can look, watch Under The Skin.

by Anonymousreply 48January 10, 2017 10:42 PM

I like these movies. I like escapism, I like hot men, I like CGI alien invasions, and I like Captain America being in love with another man. Fuck the snobs and haters!

HOWEVER, after the last one, they really need to take a step back and look at their fucking scripts and huge supporting casts. The last one was a muddled mess with a few good scenes, they need to stop trying to make every last Avenger the star of their own story and concentrate on whatever will give the film its heart, if it has one. Probably not, at this rate.

by Anonymousreply 49January 10, 2017 10:46 PM

How can this even be possible? All movies can bomb.

by Anonymousreply 50January 10, 2017 10:48 PM

I just like to look at Chris Evans and his perfect ass.

by Anonymousreply 51January 10, 2017 10:49 PM

It's a giant cash grab at this point. I suspect the whole Star Wars franchise will start dropping bowl-streaking turds before you know it.

by Anonymousreply 52January 10, 2017 10:50 PM

The Marvel movies are really repetitive. Same battle sequences, same basic plot, and too many characters.

by Anonymousreply 53January 10, 2017 10:51 PM

R49 I saw a lot of think pieces by people who thought RDJ could have gotten a golden globe nod for his work in CW. Not saying I agree with it, but I do agree that Marvel does better when focusing on one central story and not trying to make everyone a "star." That's what made AOU almost not work.

by Anonymousreply 54January 10, 2017 11:02 PM

I really wish RDJ would have left after AoU. Captain America 3 could have been so much better if it hadn't been Civil War where it was really almost more of an Iron Man movie than a Captain America movie. It would have been great for Steve and Bucky's relationship to actually get some time focused on it, even if Marvel still insists on calling them "just bff's", clearly their relationship with each other is the most important one in either of their lives but almost no screen time has been devoted to it.

by Anonymousreply 55January 10, 2017 11:31 PM

[quote] It's a giant cash grab at this point. I suspect the whole Star Wars franchise will start dropping bowl-streaking turds before you know it.

Meesa got the shitball rolling on dat one!

by Anonymousreply 56January 10, 2017 11:31 PM

R55 I think Steve's relationship with Sharon was unbelievably rushed.

by Anonymousreply 57January 10, 2017 11:56 PM

Hopefully the guy playing "The Hulk" has little to no screen time.

by Anonymousreply 58January 11, 2017 12:00 AM

I think the first two Captain America movies were good and the first Avengers movie was not bad, but they have run their course and have a sameness to them. I agree, the third CA movie would have been better with just Iron Man, CA and Bucky. Part of it is probably my Marvel knowledge, I was not sure who a lot of the characters were and they were not that memorable in their time on screen.

by Anonymousreply 59January 11, 2017 12:11 AM

God forbid an American company like Disney would produce a movie like this in the U.S., hire American workers, and invest that money in our economy.

Yet they keep shaking their heads as to how Trump could've possibly come into power.

by Anonymousreply 60January 11, 2017 12:46 AM

Same visuals, same music, same quippy dialogue. All these superhero movies blend together.

by Anonymousreply 61January 11, 2017 1:55 AM

$$$(ʘ‿ʘ)$$$(ʘ‿ʘ)$$$(ʘ‿ʘ)$$$(ʘ‿ʘ)$$$(ʘ‿ʘ)$$$(ʘ‿ʘ)$$$(ʘ‿ʘ)$$$(ʘ‿ʘ)$$$(ʘ‿ʘ)$$$(ʘ‿ʘ)$$$(ʘ‿ʘ)$$$

-RDJ

by Anonymousreply 62January 11, 2017 2:00 AM

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 63January 11, 2017 2:02 AM

WHEN will we finally be free of the incessantly smug, crusty assholery of Robert Downey Jr?

by Anonymousreply 64January 11, 2017 2:22 AM

I hope Pepper Pott's comes back :,(

by Anonymousreply 65January 11, 2017 5:26 AM

Hail hydra!

by Anonymousreply 66January 11, 2017 6:02 AM

I swear, if RDJ lives to be ninety he'll still be playing Iron Man.

by Anonymousreply 67January 11, 2017 6:08 AM

About the only reason RDJ keeps coming back is the large sums of money he's paid along with the backend money

by Anonymousreply 68January 11, 2017 6:36 AM

R64 has it right. RDJ was, probably still is talented. However, he has become the best example of what greedy whores actors can be while still being unfathomably self righteous. No one deserves those salaries.

The whole thing is a criminal waste of money as well as yet another example of our infantilised culture. And why Trump is on his way to the Whitehouse.

by Anonymousreply 69January 11, 2017 7:58 AM

RDJ creeps me out, something seems totally phony about him.

There's got to be some dirt.

by Anonymousreply 70January 11, 2017 8:41 AM

It will be interesting to see how they work in a 'positive' Chinese character or create a situation surrounding one. Because with a budget like that, they are counting on some serious profit in yuan...

by Anonymousreply 71January 11, 2017 10:20 AM

These movies are fun, I guess, but there are so many of them now and they're wasting the talents of some very good actors. James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbatch to name a few. Quality films just aren't being made in the numbers they used to be, so good actors have to appear in these comic book movies over and over if they want to work.

by Anonymousreply 72January 11, 2017 2:05 PM

Will they be bringing back the beautiful Aaron Taylor-Johnson? I know he supposedly died in the last film, but come on, these are superheroes! They should be able to resurrect him easily.

The only thing that could make these movies even better is if they started showing more skin. For instance, I wouldn't mind them flashing Aaron's superhole across the screen. Ditto for Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, and Chris Pratt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 11, 2017 2:22 PM

R73 I think he'll stay dead due to Fox's Quicksilver played by Evan Peters.

by Anonymousreply 74January 11, 2017 7:09 PM

Peter Dinklage is in talks to join the cast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 12, 2017 12:20 AM

Please remember this budget is for 2 movies: Infinity War and Infinity...Aftermath or whatever they give as a title.

Also its going to have something like 30+ name people in it. (See R24) plus Tom Holland is now saying he will be Spiderman in the film, too.

by Anonymousreply 76January 12, 2017 4:52 AM

Has Evan Peters presented hole then? And if so, is it comparable to Aaron's perfect hole? If it's anything less, then no deal.

Resurrect the original Quicksilver.

by Anonymousreply 77January 12, 2017 5:06 AM

Please tell me they're killing off Hawkeye. I can't sit through any more insipid "family man" storylines featuring the puketastic vacancy known as Jeremy Renner.

by Anonymousreply 78January 14, 2017 4:48 AM

RDJ needs so much money, because he has to keep all his craigslist hookups silent.

by Anonymousreply 79January 14, 2017 12:25 PM

R78 That was a huge misstep on Whedon's part.

by Anonymousreply 80January 14, 2017 8:10 PM

Jeremy Renner looks like a troll who lives under a bridge to me. I've never understood his appeal.

by Anonymousreply 81January 14, 2017 8:22 PM

Renner is so horribly unattractive in HD. His face is just disastrous. It's not rough in a manly way. It just looks...not great. He would've benefited from using Retin-A for the past 20 years. He has nice hair, though.

by Anonymousreply 82January 15, 2017 5:03 PM

Disagree r80. The Hawkeye's farm scenes were some of the best moments of Ultron. You need these movies to have some character development, not just mindless action or they turn into Transformers.

by Anonymousreply 83January 15, 2017 5:05 PM

I'm so afraid they're going to have fifteen different plots running, with Thor and Loki looking for Odin and Natasha and Witchiepoo falling in love and Vision becoming more human and Black Panther feuding with Iron Man Lite and it'll come out an incomprehensible mess.

IMHO they should shove all that stuff into the background, and make the center of the story a love triangle, with Bucky and Tony Stark fighting over Captain America. Will Rogers choose Stark and the Avengers, or Bucky and True Love?

by Anonymousreply 84January 15, 2017 11:10 PM

Is it still early enough to suggest that they save money by having all of the male superheroes attired in speedos?

by Anonymousreply 85January 15, 2017 11:52 PM

Totally insane.

by Anonymousreply 86January 15, 2017 11:57 PM

I think Captain America: Civil War proved to me these directors can handle a big cast and still tell a cogent story. I believe they will focus on a few characters at time, and have 2-3 BIG battles with lots of intercutting, etc,

by Anonymousreply 87January 16, 2017 4:31 AM

Can we please do a DC crossover?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 16, 2017 5:03 AM

Too formulaic.

by Anonymousreply 89January 16, 2017 5:24 PM

R88 Jesus, who would make that?

by Anonymousreply 90January 16, 2017 5:26 PM

Civil War was great because the CGI used was mostly for hand-to-hand combat scenes.

They didn't have too many scenes of buildings blowing up, which I find totally boring.

by Anonymousreply 91January 16, 2017 5:29 PM

"Character development" is different from the poorly-acted schmaltz we were subjected to, for much longer than was necessary for plot development, r83.

by Anonymousreply 92January 16, 2017 5:30 PM

In the comics, Vision and Scarlet Witch marry, I think. Or does Vision marry Mantis? Or ultimately both?

Also, I want to see Medusa the Inhuman, but I suspect the rights to her character and that powerful red hair are tied up with the Fantastic Four (along with Silver Surfer and Galactus, whose presence in the Marvel movies is sorely, sorely missed).

There were some great stories involving Thor, the Surfer, And Galactus in the comics during my youth.

by Anonymousreply 93January 16, 2017 5:31 PM

I haven't read the thread, so forgive me if someone asked this. Can anyone with knowledge of film production tell me why this costs SO much. Obviously it's a huge franchise with established stars, so salaries for the stars are high. Then, location shooting, special effects costs, armies of workers to pull it off. Yet, it still seems insane. I take it they're not including marketing/promotion - if they are then the amount is much easier to digest.

by Anonymousreply 94January 16, 2017 5:32 PM

I'd love Singer to direct R88. Imagine Cavill and Evans planting each other's super pole in each other??!!

by Anonymousreply 95January 16, 2017 5:33 PM

Can't wait to see what the story is! I wonder if the super heroes will prevail in the end.

by Anonymousreply 96January 16, 2017 5:38 PM

"The Hawkeye's farm scenes were some of the best moments of Ultron."

Oh, my sides!

I didn't go to an action film to watch a middle-aged, average white guy cuddle with his cooze for 30 minutes. Didn't seem like the Hawkeye I remember from the graphic novels, even though that guy loved his wife, too.

by Anonymousreply 97January 16, 2017 5:38 PM

[quote]Didn't seem like the Hawkeye I remember from the graphic novels

When someone says bullshit like this, I just tune out, because their opinion is irrelevant.

The movie is its own thing. You actually want a movie to be a point-for-point regurgitation of a comic book? Seriously? No. They're different things.

by Anonymousreply 98January 16, 2017 5:44 PM

Sad. These superhero movies and animated films are squeezing adult movies out of theaters, unless you live in an urban or college town that can support theaters with independent and foreign films. I don't hate them but I have seen their impact to significantly narrow the kinds of films studios make.

by Anonymousreply 99January 16, 2017 5:48 PM

Then the studios should write fresh material instead of picking and choosing which comic storylines they'll rip off, r98. These comics came with a built-in fan base and the characters have specific personalities. Reinterpreting Hawkeye as an old fart fixing porches destroys the spirit of the character.

by Anonymousreply 100January 16, 2017 5:55 PM

R393 Yes, they do marry and ultimately have children. I don't know if they will go that far in the movie though. Medusa is going to be on the ABC Inhumans show.

by Anonymousreply 101January 16, 2017 5:55 PM

"Sad. These superhero movies and animated films are squeezing adult movies out of theaters, unless you live in an urban or college town that can support theaters with independent and foreign films. I don't hate them but I have seen their impact to significantly narrow the kinds of films studios make. "

Yeah, a lot of actors and directors who are interviewed on shows like Fresh Air talk about the death of the mid-level studio film. It's either $2 million or $200 million, not $20 million. This these mid-level films have not, in fact, died, they have decreased a lot.

by Anonymousreply 102January 16, 2017 6:16 PM

I would also love to see more mid-level films for an adult audience, but they don't play as well in Asia, which is where most of the money is these days.

by Anonymousreply 103January 16, 2017 7:01 PM

Civil War was pretty muddled.

by Anonymousreply 104January 17, 2017 7:43 PM

[quote]Yeah, a lot of actors and directors who are interviewed on shows like Fresh Air talk about the death of the mid-level studio film. It's either $2 million or $200 million, not $20 million. This these mid-level films have not, in fact, died, they have decreased a lot.

Part of that is doing business in the state of California. [italic]Unpete's Undragon[/italic] cost $65 million and still had to be shot in New Zealand despite still being set in the US (now the Pacific Northwest instead of Northern Maine), supposedly to "save money." The original musical film [italic]Pete's Dragon[/italic] of which it is an in-name-only remake cost $10 million 40 years ago and was shot entirely in California. Nowadays, to do a fantasy musical and shoot it here would cost at least $100 million. Even in the 1990s, movies like [italic]Forrest Gump[/italic] only cost $55 million, but that's when computers started taking over and techholes felt schadenfreude over pushing out practical effects and traditional animation techniques that took decades to refine. That Paramount lied about the profits is beside the point; what would a movie like that cost today?

by Anonymousreply 105January 17, 2017 8:02 PM

This might be why it's so expensive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 18, 2017 1:49 AM

I like that the filmakers are treating the upcoming showdown with evil Thanos with the seriousness it deserves. For AIW, all of these heroes and anti-heroes will be needed to take down the biggest badass of the Marvel Universe.

Not like the ridiculous way they handled Parallax in the Ryan Reynolds' Green Lantern film.

by Anonymousreply 107January 18, 2017 10:11 PM

My brother, a bigger Marvel expert than I, told me he believes that the big power behind all of this stuff is Thanos only because the rights to Galactus are probably tied up with Fantastic Four / Silver Surfer.

I have no idea if this is correct, but Galactus certainly always seemed like the big interstellar badguy to me. Thanos? Meh, so far

by Anonymousreply 108January 19, 2017 6:43 PM

R108 Thanos is a pretty big deal too, especially when he wields all of the Infinity Stones.

by Anonymousreply 109January 19, 2017 7:01 PM

Translation: $50 million for salaries and craft services. $1 million for the office space and salaries for 10 Asian guys to do all the CGI on laptops.

$438 million gets 'laundered' and funneled into producer's pockets.

by Anonymousreply 110January 19, 2017 7:10 PM

The big storyline of Thanos gathering the infinity gems and all the heroes trying to team up and stop him is straight from the comics. The Infinity Gauntlet is one of Marvel's most famous storylines ever so it's no surprise the movies are doing a version of it even if they had the rights to Galactus (which yes, I'm sure they hate they don't)

by Anonymousreply 111January 19, 2017 7:18 PM

R111 I wouldn't be suprised if they eventually made a deal with Fox like they did with Sony and Spider-Man. It'll probably be a few years, though.

by Anonymousreply 112January 19, 2017 8:44 PM

Fox doesn't seem interested in doing a deal with Marvel like Sony did which is why Marvel is killing off many of the mutants in comics and replacing them with the Inhumans.

R93 there's going an Inhumans tv show on ABC featuring the Inhuman royal family.

by Anonymousreply 113January 19, 2017 9:03 PM

I heard some fan speculation that they're going to bring the "THOR, FROG OF THUNDER" story into this mess. Yeah, in the comics Thor was actually turned into a frog for a while! Who knew!

If they got that weird, I'd love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114January 23, 2017 12:10 AM

R6 Bullfeathers. Age Of Ultron sucked donkey balls dreary.

by Anonymousreply 115January 23, 2017 12:13 AM

As people have already noted nobody in Hollywood gets all bent out of shape that these movies are made in foreign countries but they get all bent out of shape that Trump is in office.

Meryl has to be the biggest asshole on the face of the earth and I'm including Trump in that estimation so it is a pretty impressive achievement.

And she was especially brave when she called a man like Disney who had been dead for more than a half a century an anti-semite!

by Anonymousreply 116January 23, 2017 12:34 AM

It's amazing that people look forward to, and GO to, any of these comic book movies!

by Anonymousreply 117January 23, 2017 12:43 AM

First footage from Marvel's Infinity War:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118February 11, 2017 9:12 PM

[quote]These superhero movies and animated films are squeezing adult movies out of theaters

Animation is not inherently childish in and of itself, but I do feel mainstream animation can be limited in it's "we gotta get the kiddies no matter what" approach, and their idea of "adult content" means raunchy jokes about heterosexual sex with a few token gays or gay references sprinkled in so they don't look totally homophobic, rather than displaying maturity in concept and execution. Despite the absence of toilet humor and sex jokes, [italic]Bambi[/italic] is a more "adult" film than [italic]Sausage Party[/italic] in the sense that it deals with loss in an intelligent way, and the former's depiction of heterosexual sexual conquest treats the female characters less as targets of sexual degradation than as putting them on a pedestal as potential wives and mothers.

by Anonymousreply 119February 11, 2017 11:20 PM

If David Lean and William Wyler were making movies today they'd be making movies just like these!

by Anonymousreply 120February 12, 2017 8:07 PM

Is it conclusively proven that Disney was an anti-Semite or is it just heresy and rumor made into "fact?"

by Anonymousreply 121February 12, 2017 8:26 PM

and they are not getting one penny from me

by Anonymousreply 122February 12, 2017 9:11 PM

First glimpse at what Thanos will look like in the movie.

Could also double as the cover for a fisting flick. Imagine the mussy on that beast of a cosmic creature!

Wet yet, bitches?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 14, 2017 8:45 PM

And one from the front.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 14, 2017 8:46 PM

I still would prefer Galactus and Silver Surfer. Why can't Marvel undo that fucking deal with whichever studio controls those characters?

by Anonymousreply 125July 14, 2017 8:51 PM

William Wyler and David Lean should know this is what movies have become.

Thank god they're dead.

by Anonymousreply 126July 14, 2017 9:01 PM

The last movie I saw was IM3 and that was a total mess.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

by Anonymousreply 127July 14, 2017 9:03 PM

More money means more quality!

by Anonymousreply 128July 14, 2017 9:05 PM

R16 I don't mind CGI but when it gets to the point that the actors look like they're trapped in a Pixar movie with everything around them being obviously fake it's ridiculous and boring. Woody Allen has used CGI in his movies (all the way back to Celebrity) but at least he knows enough as a filmmaker to use it as a tool instead of as an excuse to go hog wild. Just like shows like Shameless that, just because they can have characters cussing because it's cable, one season in particular had characters saying "fuck" in almost every sentence including when Fiona was at the altar getting married.

by Anonymousreply 129July 14, 2017 9:12 PM

Fuck that shit right up Captain America's self-righteous hot white ass, r129. The great thing about subscription cable networks is that I can call you a cocksucker and make jokes about the size and shape of anyone's genitalia, including my own.

There won't be any daytime syndication of my show on some lame broadcast channel subject to censorship rules, bitches.

Also, that Thor...I'm assuming 10 inch cock, right.

by Anonymousreply 130July 14, 2017 9:33 PM

What's wrong with being a cocksucker? Why is that a pejorative term?

Motherfucker I get. That's not nice.

by Anonymousreply 131July 15, 2017 12:03 AM

First footage has been shown to people at the D23 Expo. You can read the description in the link below. Here are some choice Twitter quotes from people attending the event:

[quote]Holy shit. The Avengers: Infinity War footage is ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE on every level. Thanks destroy EVERYONE. And SPIDEY-SENSE.

[quote]Infinity War footage! Looks incredible. Thanos basically beating the shit out of everyone and ends with him pulling down a planet to throw!

[quote]The color scheme of Avengers: Infinity War is unreal. Golden space battles. Dark ruin on Earth. Everything is unexpected and brilliant.

Sounds promising!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 15, 2017 8:00 PM

Thanos' Black Order revealed. I sure hope him and his team will be the only villains in the movie. No mindless, copy-paste drone army.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 16, 2017 12:09 AM

Another angle, with names. Supergiant is missing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 16, 2017 12:10 AM

Is it weird that I just want to snap those gems right off and lick them? They look like the most delicious candy ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 16, 2017 12:14 AM

Shitty leaked footage of the infamous trailer.

Why do people always lose their shit over "Spidey Sense"? It's just hair standing up, in this case. I never did get the appeal of Spiderman in general; he's just so basic in my view.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136July 23, 2017 7:25 PM

Can someone break down what all that money is spent on? I bet you could reduce the budget to $250 million and the movie would be just as good.

by Anonymousreply 137July 23, 2017 7:35 PM

Advertising and Robert Downey Jr.'s paycheck, mainly.

by Anonymousreply 138July 23, 2017 7:38 PM

If that includes the marketing budget, it's sort of misleading. Not that it's not an actual expense, but the film "budget" usually refers to the production budget. So if the $489 is the production budget, then "wow"! If it's production and marketing, then it's drastically less "wow!"

by Anonymousreply 139July 23, 2017 7:41 PM

They should just release the trailer in HD, and sooner than later. I wouldn't want most of my fans to have their first look be a shitty cam.

by Anonymousreply 140July 23, 2017 8:07 PM

This is why I don't go to the movies anymore. Hollywood is over. Long gone are day where they turned out great films.

by Anonymousreply 141July 23, 2017 8:12 PM

[quote]Can someone break down what all that money is spent on? I bet you could reduce the budget to $250 million and the movie would be just as good.

[quote]Advertising and Robert Downey Jr.'s paycheck, mainly.

My guess: CGI and [bold]everybody’s paychecks[bold]. This movie has a huge cast – most of whom are making significantly more money for each subsequent MU project in which they appear. Additionally, the director and writers are likely having big paydays as well.

This is a primary reason why so many actors want in on comic book-based projects and franchises - they are essentially licenses to print money.

by Anonymousreply 142July 23, 2017 8:25 PM

Sorry, Disney is working overtime pulling these videos so we'll just have to wait for the proper one to drop.

by Anonymousreply 143July 23, 2017 10:36 PM

Leaked footage.

I can't believe Drax would go after Thanos like that. Is he nuts? Ronan easily crushed him and he was weaker than Thanos!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144November 26, 2017 11:53 PM

Well you heard him: he wants revenge for the death of his wife and kid. Plus, he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

by Anonymousreply 145November 27, 2017 12:08 AM

R145 But he already got Ronan. He's putting his grudge before the fate of the whole universe, eurgh!

As an aside, we only get to hear Thanos in the above clip and yet I'm scared shitless already. But also extremely turned on. *This* is how you build up your villains, DC.

by Anonymousreply 146November 27, 2017 12:17 AM

Ronan was a foot soldier, Drax always blamed and wanted the leader.

by Anonymousreply 147November 27, 2017 12:54 AM

[quote]Can someone break down what all that money is spent on?

Lifts for RDJ and tons of CGI work to make him look young.

by Anonymousreply 148November 27, 2017 1:17 AM

35 characters of the Marvel Cinematic Universe unite for Vanity Fair’s Avengers: Infinity War-themed photoshoot and covers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149November 27, 2017 1:01 PM

Twenty more movies already planned after Infinity War wraps up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150November 27, 2017 2:51 PM

Totally safe, just could not possibly end badly.

by Anonymousreply 151November 27, 2017 4:04 PM

The Russo brothers started a countdown today. It could either mean we're getting the trailer three days from now or on December 3rd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152November 27, 2017 4:06 PM

This is by far the riskiest thing Marvel's ever done, and IMHO could be the tipping point where people decide they're tired of superhero movies.

With 25 leading characters and a script that relies on everyone knowing the backstory of all 25, plus the villains, what could go wrong? How could jamming that much into a 2-hour film fail to be entertaining?

by Anonymousreply 153November 27, 2017 9:48 PM

R153 Seeing Thanos kick everyone's ass should prove entertaining to those who aren't familiar with all the previous movies as well.

The Black Order will be a bit tricky, but even that can be overcome by mindblowing action sequences.

by Anonymousreply 154November 27, 2017 9:56 PM

Thats 3 is actually the main villian of Avengers Infinity War.

by Anonymousreply 155November 28, 2017 2:42 AM

All is revealed; the counter at R152 meant three days so the trailer drops tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 156November 28, 2017 5:15 PM

It's going to air on Good Morning America, most likely at 9 am EST.

by Anonymousreply 157November 28, 2017 6:57 PM

3 2 1

GO!

by Anonymousreply 158November 28, 2017 8:13 PM

GMA is over by 9am

by Anonymousreply 159November 28, 2017 8:29 PM

Most of the money is to feed RDJ and Chris Evans coke habits. The rest is for high class escorts.

by Anonymousreply 160November 28, 2017 8:41 PM

This movie is going to be a bloated mess. It will have an incredible opening weekend, and then it will drop like a rock.

by Anonymousreply 161November 28, 2017 8:43 PM

For anyone asking whether CGI is actually that expensive, it depends on how fast you want your project completed. If you want it done in months, it's going to be expensive - if you don't mind taking years, like on most animated projects, then it can be relatively cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 162November 28, 2017 9:50 PM

Marvel has made 12 BILLION dollars...they get what they want, when they want. Period. Hell they probably have the best VFX and CGI people falling over themselves to work with them at this point (and especially for Inifinity War)

by Anonymousreply 163November 29, 2017 12:14 AM

[quote]but hey, let's throw half a billion dollars at some stupid (and I mean STUPID) comic book movie

The film's B.O. will probably be more than $1.5B. Even if the salaries of the stars take a big chunk out of the budget it's the little guys in the production who are getting paid as well. People tend to forget that.

by Anonymousreply 164November 29, 2017 12:25 AM

I'm more interested in on set gossip than the trailer. Any insiders here?

by Anonymousreply 165November 29, 2017 12:46 AM

Feast on that, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166November 29, 2017 12:49 PM

I was so incredibly excited but this is nowhere near as epic as the leaked Comic-Con footage. I don't give a shit about the army of CG baddies; just give me Thanos and his Black Order kicking the main characters' asses!

by Anonymousreply 167November 29, 2017 1:53 PM

[quote]I'm more interested in on set gossip than the trailer. Any insiders here?

They shut down roads in Edinburgh and my boyfriend had to take a different bus to work.

by Anonymousreply 168November 29, 2017 4:21 PM

But Thanos' pug-like lil' nose does make me laugh. Such a badass, yet his nose seems so squishy. I bet that's exactly how they defeat him in the end.

I'd still ride his ribbed face, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169November 29, 2017 7:05 PM

I think Thanos looked much better in Guardians of the Galaxy. Less purple, looked older, looked less human with the crystal eyes, and more intimidating with the head gear. Based on the leaked scene, it still looks like they are working on his CGI, so I hope they continue to tweak him a bit.

by Anonymousreply 170November 29, 2017 11:27 PM

That looked totally dreadful. I *hated* Age of Ultron with passion and at this point I've no reason to believe Infinity War is going to be better. Doctor Strange was so shallow that it actually surprised me. At this point MCU is doing extremely well but if they don't start paying attention to making their films more complex they are going to start running into serious issues with people who need something more.

by Anonymousreply 171November 30, 2017 9:52 AM

I too was disappointed by Dr. Strange. Hope Cumberbatch is given better scenery to chew when he squares off against Loki.

by Anonymousreply 172December 6, 2017 1:33 AM

Someday these guys might not have CGI. Then they would actually have to write a script. Imagine that.

by Anonymousreply 173December 6, 2017 1:49 AM

Avatar cost 500 million did it not?

by Anonymousreply 174December 6, 2017 2:03 AM

The reason this franchise is so successful, is they manage to create likable and relatable characters and emotions in the midst of the CGI fest.

Yes the movies aren't anything deep, but they aren't Transformers either.

by Anonymousreply 175December 6, 2017 2:18 AM

Bull shit R175, the only reason why these movies are successful is because of the high profile actors and CGI. I don't know how super heros can be relatable. Who was the last person you met that was a billionaire that owned his own company, was an inventor, and had his own league of heros with just as many advance weapons than the U.S. miliary? Who was the last Amazon you met that was from an all female island and who raped men when it was time to procreate?

by Anonymousreply 176December 6, 2017 2:51 AM

[quote] the only reason why these movies are successful is because of the high profile actors and CGI.

You know how many big blockbusters have bombed? Justice League just did like a couple weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 177December 6, 2017 2:54 AM

R177 did that movie really bomb or did it just get bad reviews? There's a difference. A movie that makes it's profit and returns back is not a bomb regardless of how many bad reviews it got. As long as it made it's money back(in regards to the budget used to produce the movie) then it succeeded.

by Anonymousreply 178December 6, 2017 2:57 AM

Warner Brothers is going to lose money on it, it is not a success.

by Anonymousreply 179December 6, 2017 12:34 PM

[Quote] Who was the last Amazon you met that was from an all female island and who raped men when it was time to procreate?

??????

by Anonymousreply 180December 6, 2017 2:22 PM

R170 I also thought Thanos looked much better, perfect even, in GOTG. Perhaps it's just the lighting in that particular scene in the trailer, but he looks more like a primate now. Did they think people wouldn't be scared of him if he didn't look human enough? Personally, I love Lovecraftian cosmic horror and wish they had gone in that direction instead of tying it to the human experience so much.

by Anonymousreply 181December 6, 2017 2:30 PM

New trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182February 5, 2018 11:05 AM

Full trailer drops on GMA on Tuesday, February 27th.

Let's hope it's better than what we've seen so far. I don't particularly like the self-important tone either.

by Anonymousreply 183February 21, 2018 4:24 PM

Looks pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 184February 21, 2018 4:33 PM

Would you rather Batman '66?

by Anonymousreply 185February 21, 2018 4:46 PM

Worldwide release moved up a week to April 27th via a cute Twitter exchange with RDJ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186March 1, 2018 8:16 PM

I wonder if they'll introduce the 7th infinity stone in the movies, they seem to have completely forgotten it in the comics.

by Anonymousreply 187March 1, 2018 8:19 PM

$489 million could be better spent feeding the million orphans of Darfur.

by Anonymousreply 188March 1, 2018 8:25 PM

Pleasant surprise r186. They moved up the American release date to be more in the line with the release date in other markets.

by Anonymousreply 189March 1, 2018 8:50 PM

all that money and it won't even suck our dicks.

by Anonymousreply 190March 1, 2018 11:41 PM

R190 We could buy a prostitute every day for the rest of our life with that money instead of 2 hours of fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 191March 1, 2018 11:46 PM

Some are speculating Marvel may introduce the Fantastic Four in Infinity War.

But I would hate that as they have the lamest power set ever. How the hell are they going to fare any better, standing up to Thanos and his Black Order, compared to say Vision or Scarlet Witch?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192March 2, 2018 3:46 PM

Well, r192, I hope that FF come back into the Marvel (Disney) world, because the FF movies have pretty much sucked all along.

But realistically, Infinity War completed filming, what, a year ago? Maybe a tease in a clip after the closing credits?

by Anonymousreply 193March 2, 2018 6:27 PM

One of the official posters features Thanos' Black Order.

Pretty cool. Can't wait to see Proxima Midnight in action!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194March 3, 2018 2:20 AM

The only Marvel scene that's stuck with me is when Steve Rogers and Widow are in a car and he confides that he can't connect with anyone because they're not from his time, unlike Bucky. The implication being Bucky and him as soulmates. I think it's the closest Marvel have come to writing Steve as gay and it was done so unusually understated and subtle. The only reason I'd watch this movie is if it follows the organic conclusion and Steve and Bucky share a passionate kiss.

by Anonymousreply 195March 3, 2018 3:09 AM

I want in to the whole cool movie Universe, and I have a Silver Surfer to bargain with.

by Anonymousreply 196March 3, 2018 6:39 PM

Trailer just dropped!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197March 16, 2018 1:04 PM

FOR GODS SAKE REPLACE THAT OLD HAG ROBERT DOWNEY.

UGH

by Anonymousreply 198March 16, 2018 1:10 PM

Thanos looking more human with each new trailer and I hate it. He's going to look exactly like Brolin once the movie comes out.

by Anonymousreply 199March 16, 2018 1:13 PM

All for people in leotards flying through the air.

Meanwhile people in the US are dying because they don’t have healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 200March 16, 2018 1:41 PM

Holland looks like a bobblehead in that tight costume coupled with voluminous hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201March 16, 2018 2:01 PM

Looks so much better slicked back a bit in this shot where he meets Strange.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202March 16, 2018 2:01 PM

Official poster is as generic as they come.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203March 16, 2018 2:04 PM

Its like the Irwin Allen equivalent of a superhero movie, with those large casts dealing with all out disaster.

by Anonymousreply 204March 16, 2018 2:18 PM

[quote]19 names in the top of the poster

Damn, I completely missed that. Nuts. It's going to be embarrassing for everyone involved if it ends up sucking. Although I am incredibly intrigued by the Black Order and hope they aren't one-dimensional villains.

by Anonymousreply 205March 16, 2018 2:53 PM

Five out of ten trending topics on Twitter devoted to this is impressive.

by Anonymousreply 206March 16, 2018 2:55 PM

Yeah, the billing at the top of poster is interesting, but so is the bottom.

Tom Hiddleston gets lower billing than Sebastian Stan, which may be based on the size of the role if not money. Gwyneth Patrow gets a "with" but Chris Pratt gets the Joan Collins billing--the last "with" at the very end of the cast, which is preferable to third or fourth, right?

I wonder if Downey retires as Tony after this? He sometimes seems to enjoy it, and the aging of Iron Man is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 207March 16, 2018 5:58 PM

Notice Dinklage's name on the poster as well? I wonder if he's playing the dwarf who helps Thor forge his new weapon, Stormbreaker.

by Anonymousreply 208March 16, 2018 7:09 PM

That name listing is almost absurd -- especially with the "appendages" to the names FEATURING [name] AS [character] x 3 WITH [name] x 3 *deep inhale/exhausted* AND CHRIS PRATT.

by Anonymousreply 209March 16, 2018 7:15 PM

I like how many posters on her don't understand that inflation coupled with a growing cast make up a lot of budget for these films. Plus it's a good investment so why not go big?

They are exhausting the genera in the West but I don't see it slowing down since the Asian markets are picking up steam. Expect the storyline to somehow include a Chinese city. This is a WIN for everyone involved. These movies are harmless fun, that I now wait to rent rather than see in the theaters.

Also, these films fund the studios smaller projects.

by Anonymousreply 210March 16, 2018 7:20 PM

Damn just saw the trailer, everybody and their mommy getting a paycheck from this monster. Get that money!!

by Anonymousreply 211March 16, 2018 7:24 PM

[bold]‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating ‘Black Panther’[/bold]

[quote]Avengers: Infinity War has already broken advance ticket sales records on Fandango becoming the best-selling superhero movie ever — and it only took six hours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212March 16, 2018 11:32 PM

Delicious rumour going around today that Silver Surfer is also in the movie as the Metacritic page lists Curt Clendenin in that role. Could be a calculated wind-up from Marvel and Metacritic. There's [italic]no way[/italic] they'd be that sloppy, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213March 19, 2018 7:52 PM

Clendenin kinda looks like the Silver Surfer?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214March 19, 2018 7:53 PM

That's a headache-inducing, messy poster, R213. I wonder what it's like for the actors who are shoved away into the corner like Benedict Cumberbatch

by Anonymousreply 215March 19, 2018 7:57 PM

Fox has SS under license, unless it was peeled off specifically. Doubtful. I think its just one of many junk rumors.

by Anonymousreply 216March 19, 2018 7:58 PM

Who watches this garbage? I have never seen any of these movies and don’t know a person who has.

by Anonymousreply 217March 19, 2018 7:59 PM

r216 Some are saying this is possible because of the merger, but the merger hasn't gone through yet, has it?

by Anonymousreply 218March 19, 2018 8:00 PM

[quote] I have never seen any of these movies and don’t know a person who has.

You definitely know a person who has seen a Marvel movie dear.

by Anonymousreply 219March 19, 2018 8:02 PM

It hasn't. As I said, unless that character was specifically negotiated outside the purchase offer there wouldn't have been time to include Silver Surfer or anything involved with The Fantastic Four franchise/characters.

by Anonymousreply 220March 19, 2018 8:02 PM

Silver Surfer is, in my opinion, worth as much as Fantastic Four. FF has failed in the movies for what, 20 years now? But Surfer has only been seen in one of those bad FF movies.

He is the philosopher "sky rider of the spaceways" and the herald of Galactus, neither a hero or villain at first glance, and he deserves to be as big as some of those minor Avengers for sure.

by Anonymousreply 221March 19, 2018 9:19 PM

r221 Is he relatable enough for a movie, though? You'd have to tweak him some in order to translate him to the screen, although they've managed to do it so far. Well, perhaps not with all the villains.

by Anonymousreply 222March 19, 2018 9:29 PM

This Empire cover is pretty sweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223March 20, 2018 3:24 PM

[bold]AMC Theatres’ Advance Ticket Sales Records Getting Obliterated by AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR[/bold]

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR Advance Ticket Sales After 72 Hours:

[quote]257.6% ahead of BLACK PANTHER

[quote]715.5% ahead of CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR

[quote]1106.5% ahead of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224March 20, 2018 5:35 PM

Elizabeth Olsen is asking her Insta followers whether that still looks like her on the Empire cover. Embarrassing for whoever put this together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225March 21, 2018 3:18 PM

People are also calling out Evans' obviously fake beard, which looks nothing like the beard we saw in the previews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226March 21, 2018 3:19 PM

[quote]Empire's representatives did not immediately return Newsweek's request for comment. But the edited image is expected to appear on one of Empire's six Avengers-themed covers ahead of the upcoming film's April 27 release, IndieWire reported.

So the other five covers have probably been been "edited" to suit the mag. How stupid.

Issuing six different covers is also a blatant, stupid stunt, btw. I hate when other magazines (VF, even NatGeo on occasion) do it. Choose an image an own it.

by Anonymousreply 227March 21, 2018 7:09 PM

Says he's done with his character after Infinity War.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228March 22, 2018 4:13 PM

He probably dies in the second Infinity War movie.

by Anonymousreply 229March 22, 2018 4:14 PM

Grace looked at the promotional posters and made a video about queerbaiting and "Stucky". I know some people here don't like YouTubers getting any attention but it's got homo content, so suck it. Liking her suggestion about Efron playing Nightwing as well.

You guys, do you think it's possible Stucky is one of the big reveals they're trying to keep under wraps? Although I'm sure they wouldn't risk China banning it as they're trying to break all box office records with this one. Why waste all that just for us, right?

But god [italic]damn,[/italic] those are two amazing asses! If I were younger and sans unlimited access to porn, I'd definitely do unspeakable things to those two posters. They would've been thoroughly bleached even before the movie premiered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230April 6, 2018 3:20 PM

[quote]You guys, do you think it's possible Stucky is one of the big reveals they're trying to keep under wraps?

No. And if you think that I am embarrassed for you.

by Anonymousreply 231April 6, 2018 3:22 PM

Do you realize that the "Black Panther" film, the one that's broken all the box-office records, was probably greenlit because Marvel wanted to get ALL demographics hooked and Marvel films and shelling out for "Infinity Wars"? Well, why else would they release BP in February, a traditional dumping-ground time period for films that suck? Because it's two months before "Infinity Wars"!

I really have to admire the business acumen of the people who run Marvel Films. They released the terrific "Black Panther" when it had zero competition at the box office, instead of during December when it'd compete against all the other big films of 2017, and they both made mega-bucks and got everyone enthused about Marvel films just before the monster most-expensive-film-of-all-time came out. I don't know if that'll be enough to make "Infinity Wars" profitable, since it's likely to be an overpopulated, turgid mess, but now they've increased their demographic profile so there's a chance.

by Anonymousreply 232April 6, 2018 3:50 PM

Regarding "Stucky", or Steve-and-Bucky...

No.

This film is about half a billion dollars too fucking expensive for them to take that kind of risk, and Bucky at least has done too much awful shit to be in for a happy ending. He's going to turn to evil again and reform again and die heroically, and his relationship with Rogers is going to be left in subtext. And Captain America may die too, Evans's contract is up.

by Anonymousreply 233April 6, 2018 3:53 PM

Captain America is definitely going to die in either this movie, or Part 2 of this movie. Evan has confirmed he isn't coming back to Marvel after these films, and it just makes narrative sense.

Bucky is going to stick around I'd wager. They wanted Sebastian Stan for a 9-movie contract, longer than Chris Evans 6 movie contract.

by Anonymousreply 234April 6, 2018 3:56 PM

[quote]Captain America is definitely going to die in either this movie, or Part 2 of this movie. Evan has confirmed he isn't coming back to Marvel after these films, and it just makes narrative sense.

Yes, I can see that. But don't think that doesn't mean some plot line will revive the character, if not the actual being. As you know, there was big hype about "The Death of Superman," years ago, but then he wasn't dead.

by Anonymousreply 235April 6, 2018 7:31 PM

I love Sebastian Stan but Bucky looks like shit in most of these movies. I hope they do something with his hair, maybe keep like it is below since he wont have to be a "bad guy" in this movie. Scarlett and Chris were able to change their hairstyles, why can't Sebastian?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236April 6, 2018 7:46 PM

[bold]‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Will Be Marvel’s Biggest Promo Campaign Yet[/bold]

[quote]With partners such as Coca-Cola, Quicken Loans, and Infiniti, Avengers: Infinity War is receiving the biggest promo push ever for a Marvel title, with a media value estimated north of $150M.

[quote]Seven different partners will serve up TV spots inspired by or featuring the film’s characters and themes. Our sources say the Coca-Cola partnership alone is worth an estimated $40M. Many of the partnership campaigns will be live within the next two weeks and will remain in rotation until well past Infinity War‘s April 27 release.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237April 7, 2018 1:32 AM

r231 Don't you have better things to do than feel embarrassed for people who hope to finally see some gay representation in these comic book movies? Go make another ten spam threads or something. Looking at your activity, it seems like that's pretty much all you do.

by Anonymousreply 238April 7, 2018 1:41 AM

[bold]Avengers: Infinity War Directors Say Thanos is Stronger Than The Hulk[/bold]

[quote]I mean it’s like death comes to call for the Avengers. This is a nearly unbeatable force who is determined to destroy half the life in the universe to bring it to balance. He sees it as an overgrown garden that he needs to prune. As you mentioned, he is fairly invincible. He’s a sort of genetic mutation who’s the Genghis Khan of the universe. He’s unbeatable on the battlefield, stronger than the Hulk, skin is invincible. So it’s going to cost the Avengers something to defeat him.

Love that my boo is stronger than the Hulk but who the fuck then gave him those facial scars if his skin is invincible?! And a third of one of his brow ridges is split by a huge indentation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239April 14, 2018 2:41 PM

Nah r238. It needed to be said.

Steve and Bucky are not going to be in a romantic relationship. Sure have all the fun with fanfic that you want, but it IS embarrassing that someone seriously thinks Captain America banging a guy is going to be a secret reveal in Infinity Wars.

by Anonymousreply 240April 14, 2018 6:49 PM

If Marvel is ever going to include the mansex in its money-spinning franchise, it'll be in a smaller, lower-budget film than this one!

They're not going to take ANY risks when making the most expensive film in history, absolutely everything in it is going to be calculated to please every mainstream demographic on this planet.

by Anonymousreply 241April 14, 2018 6:58 PM

Exactly, they need this movie to make a lot of money in China. Sadly gay is no go in China.

by Anonymousreply 242April 14, 2018 7:34 PM

Why is Ultron in the OP's photo? Will he be in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 243April 14, 2018 7:53 PM

Infinity War

Biggest movie ever, right?

Baby please don't fall

by Anonymousreply 244April 14, 2018 8:12 PM

Seven minutes of the movie censored in Indonesia. What could possibly have offended them now?

r240 "Nah"? Are you twelve? Just stop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245April 16, 2018 12:00 PM

Holy shit, Carrie Coon is Proxima Midnight!

[quote]The Russos also confirmed to us the actors voicing two other Black Order members, with Irish actor Tom Vaughan-Lawlor taking the role of telekinetic villain Ebony Maw and Terry Notary (Avatar, Planet of the Apes, The Hobbit trilogy) performing as Cull Obsidian, who is a largely silent character.

[quote]As of yet, the directing pair haven’t given up the identity of the actor playing the last member of the Black Order – the aforementioned Corvus Glaive [...]

I remember people speculating that Whoopi Goldberg would voice that character. Whoopi! Talk about a mismatch between the voice and the appearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246April 16, 2018 12:41 PM

same movie

over and over and over

good god

by Anonymousreply 247April 16, 2018 1:54 PM

above article says coon will be in the next one...

by Anonymousreply 248April 16, 2018 1:55 PM

So Dinklage seems to be voicing Corvus Glaive. Clip starts at 3:28 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249April 19, 2018 6:07 PM

Now this news has got me [italic]really[/italic] excited - Captain Marvel to battle Thanos in this and/or the next Avengers movie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250April 19, 2018 6:09 PM

More garbage from the Marvel/Disney trashbin. How revolting. 489 million to make this shit?! From the same lame people who brought us the new Star Wars and garbage like Ultron.

by Anonymousreply 251April 19, 2018 6:12 PM

Ok, the Marvel movies have been enjoyable, but enough already!

by Anonymousreply 252April 19, 2018 6:13 PM

r252 This movie is supposed to be the culmination of all that came before, though. So it's a bit weird to bitch about this one in particular.

Complain about the Ant-Man and the Wasp movie that's coming out in July instead. Now [italic]that[/italic] is overkill.

by Anonymousreply 253April 19, 2018 6:40 PM

Culmination of what? More content for the upcoming Disneyflix? I know you will plopping down 15 bucks a month for that crap.

by Anonymousreply 254April 19, 2018 6:43 PM

Culmination of the Marvel movies that r252 said he found enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 255April 19, 2018 6:45 PM

Also, it would make zero economic sense to stop with these movies after Black Panther raked in so much cash. As long as there's enough demand for comic book movies, there will be a steady supply of them as well. And honestly, I'd rather that supply flowed from Hollywood than Russia or China or Bollywood, for obvious reasons.

Just try and think of them as one of the exports that make your country - and by extension, yourself - richer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256April 19, 2018 6:53 PM

In ten years, there have never been more than 3 movies per year in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This year has Black Panther, Infinity War, and Ant Man and the Wasp. Next year, Marvel will release three more films.

There are literally hundreds of big movies, small independent films, from the US and every country on the planet. Horror, romantic comedy, documentary, historical drama, gay Indies, etc.

The troll trying to say Marvel movies are out of control is untethered from the facts.

by Anonymousreply 257April 19, 2018 7:27 PM

Marvel Team-Up was always one of my favorite comics.

A movie starring just Spider-Man and Thor would probably be very, very funny if done well.

by Anonymousreply 258April 20, 2018 5:00 PM

Earlier this week, a report claimed that both Infinity War and Solo: A Star Wars Story may ultimately tie for the distinction of being the most expensive movie ever made, but now another report claims Infinity War didn't cost quite so much. While the original report was never confirmed, it claimed that both Avengers: Infinity War and Solo: A Star Wars Story had production budgets of roughly $400 million, which would be enough to best the all-time record of $378 million that Disney spent to make 2011's Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. While neither budget has been confirmed, a new report claims that Avengers: Infinity War had a production budget of nearly $300 million, although an exact figure was not divulged.

by Anonymousreply 259April 20, 2018 5:59 PM

r259 Why the hell is Solo so expensive?!

by Anonymousreply 260April 20, 2018 6:30 PM

Did you miss all the headlines about that movie r260? They had to fire the director and reshoot the entire thing. That is expensive.

by Anonymousreply 261April 20, 2018 6:31 PM

Oh, yeah, of course. Totally forgot about the reshoots already. That's how uninvested I am in that shit.

by Anonymousreply 262April 20, 2018 6:36 PM

Black Panther kicked ass

How can Marvel keep it up?

Maybe more like that

by Anonymousreply 263April 20, 2018 7:10 PM

[bold]James Cameron Hopes for ‘Avengers’ Fatigue: ‘There Are Other Stories To Tell’ In Sci-Fi[/bold]

[quote]“I’m hoping we’ll start getting ‘Avenger’ fatigue here pretty soon,” Cameron said. “Not that I don’t love the movies. It’s just, come on guys, there are other stories to tell besides hyper-gonadal males without families doing death-defying things for two hours and wrecking cities in the process. It’s like, oy!”

Shots fired. Trending on Twitter right now because of these remarks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264April 22, 2018 11:37 AM

for the love of mary, replace r downy as iron man

he old tired ugh

by Anonymousreply 265April 22, 2018 11:40 AM

Here's the presser with everyone assembled.

r265 Yeah, I'm so done with him. Saw a clip of the movie where he's being all smart-ass and alpha to Dr Strange and it just comes across as something that RDJ insisted be written that way. And Ruffalo sounded like a whiny bitch. Fresh blood, please!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266April 24, 2018 12:18 AM

I hope it loses a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 267April 24, 2018 12:22 AM

R266 what did Ruffalo say? I'm not watching that promo fest. Tia.

by Anonymousreply 268April 24, 2018 12:27 AM

r268 I meant in the clip from the movie. I don't watch this promo stuff either. In fact, this press assault over the past week was ridiculously over the top. I just posted that one because the preview image makes for a nice visual.

by Anonymousreply 269April 24, 2018 12:36 AM

Thanks r266. I didn't see much of Bruce except for his hairy daddy bod laying shirtless. Marvel is obviously focusing on spideytwink to carry on the stardom after RDJ and Evans leave soon.

RDJ made $200mil from iw1+2 combined. That's practically $1mil per day he showed up on set, assuming he went on set 193 days. Then 7 days of promo work. Obscene. I can't give $$ to this. But I'm sure many are buying multiple tix on my behalf. Opening weekend will scoop $200-250mil easy. Obscene!

by Anonymousreply 270April 24, 2018 12:41 AM

Yeah, r267's hope is lost already; this will make a LOT of cash. Probably the biggest opening of all time.

by Anonymousreply 271April 24, 2018 12:44 AM

Ah too bad. Oh well. It will encourage the production of another mindless manufactured entertainment rubbish that will be even more expemsive. Hopefully that will crash and lose all its money.

by Anonymousreply 272April 24, 2018 1:35 AM

Social media reactions after the first press screening seem mostly positive. Of course, the one negative from Angie Han is getting bashed on Twitter, which is a tradition at this point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273April 24, 2018 11:08 AM

Here's that clip from the movie I was talking about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274April 24, 2018 12:49 PM

Review embargo lifts at 6 p.m. EST today.

by Anonymousreply 275April 24, 2018 2:54 PM

Chris Evans did some press with gay brother Scott

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276April 24, 2018 6:01 PM

r276 His brother is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 277April 24, 2018 6:13 PM

Chris Hemsworth's style lately has always seemed to be about showing skin, man he is leaning into the sex symbol thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278April 24, 2018 6:37 PM

The Ragnarok premiere, look familiar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279April 24, 2018 6:38 PM

r278 Social media reactions are saying Thor is the MVP in this movie so Chris might as well lean into it now.

by Anonymousreply 280April 24, 2018 6:42 PM

[quote]The domestic and international ranges equal a global bow from $472M-$498M — $500M-plus does not appear out of the question. If it hits the low end of that worldwide range, it would rank as No. 5 all time; on the high end, it lands at No. 4.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281April 24, 2018 6:48 PM

DL fave foe Goop at the premiere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282April 24, 2018 8:26 PM

Loving the patterns but that hair is not long for this world, is it? And he seems extra "refreshed". Wonder what kind of shit the Disney beauty lab made him put on his face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283April 24, 2018 8:30 PM

Wait a minute...$500 million for one movie, or does that include the sequel tied to it as well? Either way that's a LOT of dough.

This is just going to be your typical superhero movie with lots of explosions, cliches, and boring storylines. Like drones we shuffle to the theaters to go see them. I don't really get it honestly. You'd think after ad nausiuem of the same crap over and over again people would get tired of this stuffy

by Anonymousreply 284April 24, 2018 9:16 PM

r284 We'll find out in less than an hour if it really is your typical comic book movie. And I think $500 mil is for both parts.

by Anonymousreply 285April 24, 2018 9:20 PM

R274 of all scenes why did they choose that one, I wonder? Boring. And I could barely understand a lot of the dialogue (everyone was muttering too fast).

by Anonymousreply 286April 24, 2018 9:21 PM

The budget for this film is being reported at 300 mil, high, but not record breaking. I think the 500 mil was the initial figure for both movies, they were filmed back-to-back.

by Anonymousreply 287April 24, 2018 9:23 PM

r286 They released another scene of them fighting Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive (who we now know is voiced by Michael Shaw, not Peter Dinklage).

Proxima kick ass but she really needs some condish for that dry hair of hers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288April 24, 2018 9:25 PM

And yes

[quote]RDJ made $200mil from iw1+2 combined. That's practically $1mil per day he showed up on set, assuming he went on set 193 days. Then 7 days of promo work. Obscene. I can't give $$ to this. But I'm sure many are buying multiple tix on my behalf. Opening weekend will scoop $200-250mil easy. Obscene!

And yes, according to reports of his salary 100 mil of the budge for each movie is just going to pay Robert Downey Junior. That is a third of the budget for each movie into his pocket if rumors are true.

by Anonymousreply 289April 24, 2018 9:27 PM

Michael Shaw, for reference. How delicious is he?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290April 24, 2018 9:27 PM

"This is just going to be your typical superhero movie with lots of explosions, cliches, and boring storylines. Like drones we shuffle to the theaters to go see them. I don't really get it honestly."

I work in a hospital, the work is hard and intellectually, physically, and emotionally demanding. I get all the serious drama I want for free there, so if my idea of a good time at the movies involves hot guys in spandex and CGI explosions instead of more fucking serious drama and tragedy, then up yours if you don't approve of my taste!

I go to pretty much all the Marvel movies, because Marvel consistently delivers fun, excitement, and hot guys in spandex. And it looks like they're going to keep doing it after they dismiss the Avengers, with Black Panther and Spidertwink and Doctor Strange, etc. I'm willing to keep going to all their movies for a few more years at this rate.

by Anonymousreply 291April 24, 2018 9:56 PM

Embargo lifted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292April 24, 2018 10:07 PM

And as expected for a Marvel Studios movie, it is getting great reviews. They have this down to a science.

by Anonymousreply 293April 24, 2018 10:12 PM

Thank You, r291. Word for word with you.

Black Panther was the first Marvel film I ever watched. I LOVED it. I started a thread on that and the posters there were very helpful with guiding me on the order to watch the MCU films.

Now I'm up to snuff on A: IW because I've got Netflix and Amazon which has most of the Marvel films. Tonight : "Thor Ragnorak."

I'm seeing A: IW Friday evening. I regret the seat I purchased for one reason only- I think it's right next to the Dolby Sound auditorium speakers. I'll bring earplugs, if needed.

by Anonymousreply 294April 24, 2018 10:22 PM

From the people who don't like it, they found it too bloated of a movie or they are upset as it is clearly just part 1 of a two part movie.

by Anonymousreply 295April 24, 2018 10:26 PM

r295 Yeah, and I see some are poiting out that the rewatchability factor might suffer because of that.

by Anonymousreply 296April 24, 2018 10:29 PM

Irish Times review. 3 out 5 stars Review: It’s not a good film, but it is clogged with star actors and good jokes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297April 24, 2018 10:34 PM

r297 The Irish Times is notoriously critical when it comes to these comic book movies. They gave Black Panther a rotten review if I remember correctly. Which will never not make me laugh. You know, because they're all white there.

by Anonymousreply 298April 24, 2018 10:37 PM

Eh, I find it rather silly to say Ireland isn't allowed to review the "Black Panther" movie because they are too white.

by Anonymousreply 299April 24, 2018 10:39 PM

Robert Downey was an actor once.

by Anonymousreply 300April 24, 2018 10:45 PM

I’ve never found any of the marvel guys sexy except when I see them in different roles. I don’t know if it’s because they’ve been cgi’ed to death or the source material but they come across sexless.

by Anonymousreply 301April 24, 2018 11:29 PM

Certified fresh on RottenTomatoes. However, the average score is around 7 (likewise, it has a score of 70 on Metacritic) so it's nothing outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 302April 25, 2018 2:33 AM

This is one of those films that seems nearly criticism-proof. In other words, little-to-nothing of what the professional critics say will deter the initial BO. Poor word of mouth from "regular" viewers to people they know or influence may be only driver that results in less than expected revenue.

by Anonymousreply 303April 25, 2018 4:15 AM

Ellen celebrates Chris Hemsworth's body of work

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304April 26, 2018 1:59 PM

[bold]Box Office: ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Is Fastest Film to Earn $1 Billion Worldwide[/bold]

To set the record for the fastest film to reach that milestone - 11 days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305May 5, 2018 4:20 PM

[bold]Avengers: Infinity War Scores Best Day Opening Day Ever in Russia[/bold]

[quote]Infinity War scored a $4.9 million debut in Russia on Thursday May 3, the biggest ever opening day mark for a movie, and also making it the first ever movie to sell more than a million tickets in a single day.

Like Canadians, the Ruskies are loving this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306May 6, 2018 10:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!