Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Anne Shirley from Green Gables a lesbian?

I always thought she was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 26, 2020 3:37 AM

I'll resurrect Lucy Maud Montgomery and ask.

by Anonymousreply 1January 4, 2017 4:53 AM

OP is most definitely not a kindred spirit!

by Anonymousreply 2January 4, 2017 4:55 AM

[quote]Shirley married actor John Payne August 22, 1937, in Montecito, California.[5] They had a daughter, former actress Julie Payne. Her second husband was film producer and screenwriter Adrian Scott. When he was blacklisted and decided to move the family to Europe, at the last minute she wrote him a "Dear John" letter saying she'd rather stay behind and divorce him.[6] Her third husband was Charles Lederer, nephew of Marion Davies. They had a son named Daniel Lederer. Shirley had also a brief relationship with younger western star Rory Calhoun and another with French movie star Jean-Pierre Aumont.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 4, 2017 4:57 AM

Not that Anne Shirley, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4January 4, 2017 5:22 AM

She and her bosom friend, Diana, definitely would have been lesbians today.

by Anonymousreply 5January 4, 2017 5:33 AM

They were chest chums?

by Anonymousreply 6January 4, 2017 5:36 AM

Wasn't Anne of Green Gables just an obvious rip-off of Annie? I mean, the red hair, the name, and the fact that the adoptive families wanted a male orphan and ended up with a girl instead?

by Anonymousreply 7January 4, 2017 5:36 AM

Little Orphan Annie was written in 1924.

Anne of Green Gables was written in 1908

by Anonymousreply 8January 4, 2017 5:40 AM

I never understood the appeal of Anne of Green Gables. Poorly written and boring. I guess you have to be Canadian to appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 9January 4, 2017 5:43 AM

The first book was OK, and has enormous opportunity for parody, which I am shocked no one has really capitalized on.

The rest of the series was dull as dishwater.

by Anonymousreply 10January 4, 2017 5:59 AM

That Anne Shirley always referred to Diana Barry as her "bosom" friend, which I always found highly suspicious. Everyone knows that Anne got Diana drunk off of Marilla's currant wine so that Anne could have her way with Diana's bosom, and that's the real reason Mrs. Barry didn't want Anne around Diana.

by Anonymousreply 11January 4, 2017 9:16 AM

Don't forget her jealous butchery when Diana got engaged.

by Anonymousreply 12January 4, 2017 9:20 AM

*Bitchery! BITCHERY, DAMNIT.

by Anonymousreply 13January 4, 2017 9:21 AM

She did end up fucking the hot Gilbert Blythe. Lucky cause he was damn good looking.

by Anonymousreply 14January 4, 2017 10:36 AM

The Anne series was written for girls of 9 or so. So, it's no wonder adult men would not find them stimulating.

by Anonymousreply 15January 4, 2017 10:54 AM

I have no idea if Anne had wet dreams about Diana.

by Anonymousreply 16January 4, 2017 11:26 AM

[quote]Anne Shirley always referred to Diana Barry as her "bosom" friend

In my version of the book she says they're "Tit Friends"

by Anonymousreply 17January 4, 2017 11:31 AM

Lol R17

by Anonymousreply 18January 4, 2017 11:37 AM

R15, meet R14.

by Anonymousreply 19January 4, 2017 12:41 PM

I always figured there had to be something more behind her being able to turn down Gil so many times. One session of us painting the outhouse together would have broken me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 4, 2017 12:47 PM

R14 But she put it off for decades. The guy almost dies and she made him wait another decade after that.

Although, maybe Gil was in on it. Maybe Gil had his own preoccupations at medical school.

by Anonymousreply 21January 4, 2017 12:51 PM

[quote]Little Orphan Annie was written in 1924. Anne of Green Gables was written in 1908

Actually, Annie was the one who was always getting touchy with other girls.

by Anonymousreply 22January 4, 2017 12:53 PM

R15 Thank goodness, the masculinity trolls have arrived to be sure we don't discuss any subjects that haven't been pre-approved by them first. Back to stoic anti-intellectualism, anyone. Thinking is for little girls.

by Anonymousreply 23January 4, 2017 12:53 PM

The Japanese love her.

by Anonymousreply 24January 4, 2017 1:15 PM

We were forced to read it in school. I hated it and couldn't relate to some girl living in Prince Edward Island over 100 years ago. I remember thinking that the writing was too over the top, especially the dialogue. Plus, it was a story about an ugly orphan, what kid wants to read that.

by Anonymousreply 25January 4, 2017 2:51 PM

Gil would NOT have fuck a red haired, he hated carrots of all kinds and you know Anne would not bath properly so she'd smell REALLY bad down there.

by Anonymousreply 26January 4, 2017 2:59 PM

Was Shirley from [italic]What's Happening!![/italic] a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 27January 4, 2017 3:06 PM

She was a gorilla.

by Anonymousreply 28January 4, 2017 3:23 PM

I hate you!! You're a sour old gossip, R11!!

by Anonymousreply 29January 4, 2017 5:05 PM

The actor who played Gilbert died.

by Anonymousreply 30January 5, 2017 5:33 AM

Anne Shirley was never convicted of putting strychnine in the well.

by Anonymousreply 31January 5, 2017 5:44 AM

R31, do you suppose that Anne poisoned Matthew and that's how he died?

by Anonymousreply 32January 5, 2017 6:54 AM

The actor that played Gilbert was gay too. Sad he's gone.

by Anonymousreply 33January 5, 2017 8:44 AM

Jonathan Crombie was his name. He died of a brain hemorrhage

by Anonymousreply 34January 5, 2017 8:49 AM

The writer did a great job describing the "smash" between the two girls, which is what teen same sex relationships were called in those days.

Young ladies were expected to outgrow them, as Anne and Diana did.

by Anonymousreply 35January 5, 2017 10:50 AM

For R10, from Newfoundland comedy troupe Codco

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 5, 2017 12:12 PM

In Japan, they call her "Ahn."

by Anonymousreply 37January 7, 2017 8:38 PM

The bully from [italic]A Christmas Story[/italic] was in it too, and isn't he also gay?

by Anonymousreply 38January 7, 2017 8:41 PM

Aunt Hetty pinged off the charts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 7, 2017 9:12 PM

Then why was she called Hetty?

by Anonymousreply 40January 7, 2017 9:13 PM

R39, my sister used to think she was called "Hattie" because she always wore hats like in that photo.

Also, Aunt Hetty was not a character in the Story Girl books, she was specifically created for the Avonlea TV series, I'm guessing they wanted a Marilla Cuthbert type spinster character.

So my question is -- did Hetty take over teaching the school after Anne left?

by Anonymousreply 41January 8, 2017 10:07 AM

In the books, beside her relationship with Diana, Anne had a big crush on the young minister's wife.

by Anonymousreply 42January 8, 2017 2:16 PM

R42, I remember that. I also remember she had a crush on her teacher Miss Muriel Stacy. Anne loved that they both wore puffed sleeves. Anne had such a fetish for puffed sleeves.

by Anonymousreply 43January 8, 2017 5:01 PM

[quote]So my question is -- did Hetty take over teaching the school after Anne left?

Yes she did, but then after Anne's old teacher came back she bought a hotel and succeeded where the Golden Girls failed, as the show survived two or three years without Sarah Polley.

They had some impressive guest stars from both sides of the US/Canada border (Madeline Kahn, Ned Beatty), and they even managed to get Colleen Dewhurst right before she died and Jonathan Crombie, but not Megan Follows.

by Anonymousreply 44January 8, 2017 5:04 PM

Why wouldn't Megan Follows guest star on "Avonlea"?

by Anonymousreply 45January 9, 2017 2:09 AM

Meagan Follows wasn't famous enough to snub Avonlea

by Anonymousreply 46January 11, 2017 1:31 PM

I never understood why someone as cool and pretty as Diana would want to even be acquainted with someone as ugly and vulgar as Anne, much less her tit pal.

by Anonymousreply 47January 11, 2017 1:50 PM

[quote] The actor who played Gilbert died.

And I'm still here.

by Anonymousreply 48January 11, 2017 2:18 PM

[quote] Why wouldn't Megan Follows guest star on "Avonlea"?

In the actual episode with Marilla's death (where Colleen's role was put together from outtakes and from other Sullivan productions), Gilbert returns for the funeral and says Anne has cholera or some disease that's easily treatable today.

[quote] Meagan Follows wasn't famous enough to snub Avonlea

That's why she took [italic]Facts of Life[/italic] when they offered it to her. Norman Lear actually is partly responsible for discovering her as she was cast in [italic]The Baxters[/italic] after T.A.T. sold the rights to a Canadian company.

by Anonymousreply 49January 11, 2017 2:26 PM

Aww . I used to watch it when I was a child. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 50January 12, 2017 2:43 AM

Hetty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 12, 2017 3:17 AM

r47

LOL

by Anonymousreply 52April 23, 2019 5:11 PM

Ilse in the Emily books always struck me as a power lipstick lez. She and future-politician Perry clearly had a lavender marriage of convenience.

Dean Priest was clearly into little girls: Thank God Emily shut that creepy shit down.

by Anonymousreply 53April 23, 2019 5:23 PM

Only she knows.

by Anonymousreply 54August 26, 2020 1:21 AM

Marilla and Matthew always seemed like depictions of what gay people’s life would have been like in rural turn of the century Canada.

Aunt Hetty was surprisingly the most robustly heterosexual character on Road to Avonlea, she had at least one new male love interest every season. Sarah Stanley was way gayer.

by Anonymousreply 55August 26, 2020 1:42 AM

As a kid I loved Anne. I rewatched it as an adult and Marilla was my favorite. She is a real gem.

by Anonymousreply 56August 26, 2020 1:44 AM

Jealous Butchery would have made it a whole different book. Maybe even a better one!

by Anonymousreply 57August 26, 2020 1:48 AM

If Anne lived in 2020, she would most certainly be bisexual, perhaps non-binary because of gender dysphoria resulting from Marilla not wanting her because she wasn’t a boy, and she would hate Gilbert because he represented the patriarchy. Her teacher’s pets would be little latent gay boys like Paul Irving from the second book.

Also, I’m pretty sure Anne’s son Walter who got killed in World War I was a closet gay.

by Anonymousreply 58August 26, 2020 1:58 AM

Remember, OP: there's a reason she went to live At the Rim of the World.

by Anonymousreply 59August 26, 2020 3:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!