Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How Subarus Came to Be Seen as Cars for Lesbians

How do you advertise a car that journalists describe as “sturdy, if drab”?

That was the question faced by Subaru of America executives in the 1990s. After the company’s attempts to reinvigorate sales—by releasing its first luxury car and hiring a hip ad agency to introduce it to the public—failed, it changed its approach. Rather than fight larger car companies over the same demographic of white, 18- to 35-year-olds living in the suburbs, executives decided to market their cars to niche groups—such as outdoorsy types who liked that Subarus could handle dirt roads.

In the 1990s, Subaru’s unique selling point was that the company increasingly made all-wheel drive standard on all its cars. When the company’s marketers went searching for people willing to pay a premium for all-wheel drive, they identified four core groups who were responsible for half of the company’s American sales: teachers and educators, health-care professionals, IT professionals, and outdoorsy types.

Then they discovered a fifth: lesbians. “When we did the research, we found pockets of the country like Northampton, Massachusetts, and Portland, Oregon, where the head of the household would be a single person—and often a woman,” says Tim Bennett, who was the company’s director of advertising at the time. When marketers talked to these customers, they realized these women buying Subarus were lesbian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 25, 2018 11:10 PM

[quote]In response to the ads, Subaru received letters from a grassroots group that accused the carmaker of promoting homosexuality. Everyone who penned a letter said they’d never buy a Subaru again. But the marketing team quickly discovered that none of the people threatening a boycott had ever bought a Subaru. Some of them had even misspelled “Subaru.” Like nerds who grow up to confront their bullies, Subaru executives came to realize that the people opposing the acknowledgement of gays and lesbians were not as imposing as they seemed.

[quote]What worked were winks and nudges. One campaign showed Subaru cars that had license plates that said “Xena LVR” (a reference to Xena: Warrior Princess, a TV show whose female protagonists seemed to be lovers) or “P-TOWN” (a moniker for Provincetown, Massachusetts, a popular LGBT vacation spot).

by Anonymousreply 1January 2, 2017 2:09 PM

How did Mini Coopers become known as a gay guy car?

by Anonymousreply 2January 2, 2017 2:10 PM

Thanks, OP. I really enjoyed reading the article.

Is it, R2? I mostly see young (straight looking) women driving Mini Coopers.

by Anonymousreply 3January 2, 2017 2:17 PM

[quote]For its first Subaru ads, Mulryan/Nash hired women to portray lesbian couples.

As opposed to...?

by Anonymousreply 4January 2, 2017 2:18 PM

As opposed to men in drag like now days.

by Anonymousreply 5January 2, 2017 2:30 PM

So Northampton, Massachusetts and Portland, Oregon are lesbian cities?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 2, 2017 2:38 PM

I thought lezzies liked to drive Volvo station wagons. I see the butchier ones at Home Depot driving jeeps. This one lezz I used to work with drove a Nissan pick-up truck. Trashy gay men, the type that display rainbow stickers everywhere, love the Volkswagen Beetle. The more upscale gay men are about projecting an alpha-male image, so many of them drive BMWs or Audis A6s.

by Anonymousreply 7January 2, 2017 2:43 PM

Lesbians with money drive Range Rovers (the classic).

by Anonymousreply 8January 2, 2017 2:51 PM

I'm a gay man and I drive a Subaru. It's great in the snow. Am I a lesbian now?

by Anonymousreply 9January 2, 2017 2:52 PM

I had some lesbian neighbors and yes, they drove a Subaru. I giggled when I learned this.

by Anonymousreply 10January 2, 2017 2:54 PM

The great love of my life/the one who got away (and is now married with adopted twins) drove one and fits into their IT workers profile. I do, now, mostly see lesbians driving them in fucking Portland, Oregon. I miss that guy and that car. Neither of us is a lesbian, though.

by Anonymousreply 11January 2, 2017 2:55 PM

I'd wager that "sturdy, if drab" probably covers it.

by Anonymousreply 12January 2, 2017 3:03 PM

My wife and I live in Portland and own a Subaru. We bought it as our road trip car. I forgot about the lesbian connection until I was in the dealership and saw a couple of other lesbians, I had to smile.

I think we may go back to a Honda when this one bites the dust, we've had a few problems with it.

by Anonymousreply 13January 2, 2017 3:28 PM

Local warehouse forklift driver lesbians drive Ford F150s and old Dodge Neons. We have a pretty big population here in the Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 14January 2, 2017 3:36 PM

Northampton, Massachusetts dubbed as "Lesbianville U.S.A."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 2, 2017 3:37 PM

I always thought of Subaru as New England lesbian cars, specifically Maine and Vermont.

by Anonymousreply 16January 2, 2017 3:40 PM

Even used, the brand is pricey compared to others.

by Anonymousreply 17January 2, 2017 3:41 PM

R17 they are pricey for good reason. Symmetrical all wheel drive is superior to other systems. Plus boxer engines are kind of cool.

by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2017 3:45 PM

I hear the new subarus have a special place to put your canes in. Also when you shop at Subaru there is free bread pudding for all those fat shoppers with bad knees.

by Anonymousreply 19January 2, 2017 3:46 PM

Washington state is full of Subarus, often as not driven by a lumpy fleece-wearing person of indeterminate gender, which come to think of it pretty much sums up the whole state.

by Anonymousreply 20January 2, 2017 3:49 PM

I would prefer my lesbians in a Subaru Xena. It shoots disks and ululates when they honk. It comes in brown with brass trim.

by Anonymousreply 21January 2, 2017 3:52 PM

r13, I must have seen you. Nice flannel. xo

by Anonymousreply 22January 2, 2017 4:07 PM

Have two sets of lesbian couple friends. Each couple drives a Subaru.

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2018 11:45 PM

Oh, now we're bumping two-year-old threads about lesbians? What's the purpose of this particular line of trolling? I'm serious. I don't understand where this is coming from or what you guys are accomplishing. All I know is that it's been non-stop lesbian stereotypes around here for about 10 days.

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2018 11:47 PM

R18 is dyketastic

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2018 11:58 PM

R24 - Then go elsewhere, if you're so fucking delicate.

by Anonymousreply 26November 25, 2018 12:03 AM

That boxer engine in Subaru cars can be problematic with head gasket problems very common.

by Anonymousreply 27November 25, 2018 12:06 AM

Here in Colorado, everyone pretty much drives an all-wheel drive car so there are lots of Subarus. I had an Outback and then moved "up" to a BMW sedan, which is not as practical and is definitely more of a pain in the ass maintenance-wise. I'm thinking my next car will be a Subaru again.

by Anonymousreply 28November 25, 2018 12:09 AM

So much lesbian crap on Datalounge lately. Are we suffering an invasion from some other forum?

by Anonymousreply 29November 25, 2018 12:51 AM

An invasion of the suburuz

by Anonymousreply 30November 25, 2018 3:14 AM

R29 So sorry you're offended by this 2 year-old thread. Please accept this cane as a holiday gift from DL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 25, 2018 6:53 AM

r24 has stated her boundaries.

It is up to us to fuck with them.

by Anonymousreply 32November 25, 2018 6:59 AM

[quote] they identified four core groups who were responsible for half of the company’s American sales: teachers and educators, health-care professionals, IT professionals, and outdoorsy types.

I don't fit into any of those categories, and I've owned two Subarus ('84 and '18.) I got the new one because it had the best array of safety equipment and new technology I could find for the price. (Oh, and I'm not a lesbian either.)

by Anonymousreply 33November 25, 2018 11:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!