Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Donald O'Connor

I was absolutely smitten with him the first time I saw Singin' in the Rain. He was an immensely talented performer with beautiful blue eyes. Anyone else as taken with him as I was?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2020 6:23 AM

My father served in the same unit as Donald O'Connor in WWII and didn't like him. He never elaborated as to why, though.

by Anonymousreply 1December 30, 2016 1:48 AM

I always thought he looked like Woody Woodpecker.

by Anonymousreply 2December 30, 2016 1:50 AM

He and Gene Kelly were two of the most athletic dancers of that era. His "Make 'Em Laugh" number from "Singin' in the Rain" is still amazing to watch. And both he and Gene's asses were very nice to look at in the "Good Mornin'" number!

by Anonymousreply 3December 30, 2016 1:50 AM

they quit making musicals and he drowned what was left of his career in drink.

by Anonymousreply 4December 30, 2016 1:50 AM

He was my lovah!

by Anonymousreply 5December 30, 2016 1:55 AM

I agree, OP, there is a Lot of be said about being affable and willing to make someone laugh.

by Anonymousreply 6December 30, 2016 2:03 AM

He should have garnered a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for "Make Em Laugh" alone

by Anonymousreply 7December 30, 2016 2:07 AM

R7 Agreed! I watched the scene last night and was really blown away. I think he won a Golden Globe for the film. Anyone know why Singin' in the Rain was pretty much ignored by the Academy? It only got two nominations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 30, 2016 2:09 AM

Absolutely loved him. He had a hard childhood. He was a vaudeville kid.

by Anonymousreply 9December 30, 2016 2:44 AM

Seriously, Betty, R5! Spill! You're both dead, who cares now but us old (Actually, I'm young...ish) queens?

by Anonymousreply 10December 30, 2016 2:49 AM

Universal first used him as one of the "Jivin' Jacks 'n Jills", a WWII pre-teen swing dance group which peppered several of the studio's "B"-musicals. O'Connor was usually paired with gangly Peggy Ryan. The two had great chemistry together and soon Universal spun them off in their own version of "Mickey-and-Judy" musicals with titles like CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, TOP MAN, MR. BIG, THIS IS THE LIFE and PATRICK THE GREAT with an emphasis on jitterbugging and wisecracks (every so often Gloria Jean would show up to trill an aria or two). Cranked out quickly with hack scores and minuscule budgets, these films are peppy unpretentious fun. O'Connor has tremendous charm, and is far more appealing than the obnoxious, mechanical Rooney.

by Anonymousreply 11December 30, 2016 3:48 AM

Talented man but I sadly saw him on Broadway in the god-awful Bring Back Birdie with Chita Rivera. He could barely remember his lines or song lyrics and had to repeatedly ask the conductor for prompts with his hand to his ear because he couldn't hear. But in retrospect that was the least of the problems this disastrous sequel had.

by Anonymousreply 12December 30, 2016 4:10 AM

Always thought he had a nasty streak that wasn't readily apparent on screen, much like Danny Kaye and Jerry Lewis. In some of his interviews he came off like he was a major star who sank into bitterness about the "golden age" and how they weren't making good musicals anymore.

by Anonymousreply 13December 30, 2016 4:13 AM

He was some kind of man.

by Anonymousreply 14December 30, 2016 4:13 AM

Wasn't he a GAY BOY?

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2020 4:46 AM

He punched a DLer in the nose who was working backstage and knocked on O'Connor's dressing room to let him know that it was X minutes until the curtain would rise for the next performance.

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2020 4:59 AM

When O'Connor returned from the service, Universal cast him in leading roles in a number of successful musicals, including "Something in the Wind" with Deanna Durbin. Despite this and the success of "Singin' in the Rain," Universal kept putting him in their popular "Francis the Talking Mule" film series, which they cranked out year after year. O'Connor grew tired of it and quit what would be the final one, "Francis in the Haunted House," which, ironically, was recast with Mickey Rooney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2020 5:49 AM

In the sci-fi series Fringe, the future-humanoid (played by the great Michael Cerveris) assumes the name "Donald O'Connor" when he's stripped of his powers and goes into hiding. When finally found by protagonist Walter Bishop (played by the great John Noble), he explains he took the name in homage to "Singing in the Rain", the first movie Walter showed him to explain humanity. /geeking out

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2020 6:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!