Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

This is one of the greatest televised musical performances EVER

EVER, I tell you. "River Deep, Mountain High" was the single greatest thing that Phil Spector produced. But, until I saw this clip, I didn't think anyone had successfully reproduced and transposed his 'wall of sound' to a live experience. Don't know how I've never seen this before. As much as I loved Darlene Love's annual "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home" performance on Letterman, this performance blows all others out of the water.

Not only Darlene's incredible power -- damn, she sang this in her mid 60s! - but, Paul and CBS Orchestra are so in the pocket, the augmented orchestra with the additional strings and brass are right there with them, the brilliant backup singers are just soaring to the stratosphere with Darlene. Usually, when a a well established band augments with additional players, it feels like an orchestra playing on top of an existing band, but everything is so well integrated here. It all fits together so beautifully, like one well-oiled machine, though they probably had minimal rehearsal. I have to imagine this was some passion project of Paul's that Dave indulged him in. And thank goodness he did.

There is simply no better live performance of this song -- even from the great Ike & Tina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2018 6:04 AM

"Be My Baby" and "Then He Kissed Me" were both better.

by Anonymousreply 1December 29, 2016 1:30 AM

Well, I'll respectfully disagree on that, R1, though those are both great productions as well, of course.

All that said, I defy anyone to find a better LIVE representation of that 'wall of sound' power. It's the closest I've heard anyone come in a live setting.

by Anonymousreply 2December 29, 2016 1:34 AM

Letterman's musical numbers were the top of the talent heap, even if they weren't at the top of the charts. He showcased the best, and got off on having talented performers of all types on his stage. This is something that Leno always lacked. Here, Darlene Love blows the roof off the joint, which is something that happened often on Letterman's show.

This number was also recreated really well in the bio-pic "What's Love Got to do With It".

by Anonymousreply 3December 29, 2016 1:34 AM

Darlene Love was bitter for many, many years that she wasn't given River Deep, Mountain High but it instead went to Tina Turner. She even trashed it in her book. She must have gotten over it because this is an amazing performance.

by Anonymousreply 4December 29, 2016 1:44 AM

Thanks for the tip, R3! I never saw Whats Love Got to do With It. When you say it was recreated, do you mean visually? Kind of assumed they were all lipsyncing/miming to original recordings, or did Angela Basset & crew perform a new live version of the song?

by Anonymousreply 5December 29, 2016 1:45 AM

R4 - didn't know that. Should look for her book. Really enjoyed learning about her story in 20 Feet from Stardom. I think Spector made the right choice with Tina. Darlene has the more powerful and technically impressive voice, but I don't think Darlene could have equaled the rawness of Tina's recorded performance -- especially at that time.

That said, as great a performer as Tina was, she never could have equaled the sheer force and power of Darlene's live performance of the song either. This split seems like the best compromise.

by Anonymousreply 6December 29, 2016 1:49 AM

[quote]When you say it was recreated, do you mean visually?

Yes. It's Tina singing, but what I'm referring to is cinematically speaking. If I remember properly, it's been quite some years since I've seen it, the recording session is recreated and we see Ike realizing that, with Tina recording this single against his orders, that he's lost control of Tina at that point. It's a powerful scene in the film.

by Anonymousreply 7December 29, 2016 2:00 AM

Darlene Love is one of the great treasures of the music industry.

by Anonymousreply 8December 29, 2016 2:07 AM

Sounds cool, R7. And a perfect song to showcase such a moment, too.

by Anonymousreply 9December 29, 2016 2:08 AM

This NY Times Talk conversation with Darlene (and Merry Clayton and Lisa Fischer) is just pure JOY. I wish the full conversation was on YT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 29, 2016 2:25 AM

The acoustics in the Ed Sullivan Theatre is amazing. Letterman enjoyed musicians and good recording artists The great Foo Fighters were his favorite band. It showed because everyone put on the "A game" when they appeared . Paul Shaffer deserves a lot of credit too for his arrangements of the performers.

On the other hand The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Musical guests took a back seat when they appeared. Who even knew if Leno had an interest in Music. Bad staging horrible lighting and awful sound came off that set in Burbank .Leno's musical director Kevin Eubanks was a session musician and he got lost in the background with whoever performed on that show. I can't remember one memorable musical act on Leno's run on that show.

by Anonymousreply 11December 29, 2016 2:43 AM

I liked Tina better

by Anonymousreply 12December 29, 2016 2:44 AM

This is a joyous performance by Darlene. The backup singers included Betty Buckley and the late Pattie Darcey (who was found dead at her home a couple of months after this performance). The staging and sound are awesome. The violinists are hammering those violins and having a ball. Watch the blond violinist behind Darlene. She is having a great time. As far as Tina vs Darlene on this song, since I like them both very much, it's a draw to me. Different styles; both sensational.

by Anonymousreply 13December 29, 2016 2:51 AM

[quote]The backup singers included Betty Buckley

I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 14December 29, 2016 3:05 AM

R13 - thanks for that. Was wondering who that backup singer was. She was so into it. Reading her Wiki now, it looks like she and Darlene were on Broadway together in Leader of the Pack a jukebox musical bio about songwriter Ellie Greenwich. That must've been a fun show - musically, at least. Dramatically, perhaps less so. If Wiki is correct, Ellie Greenwich played herself in the show (oh lord). Interestingly, it looks like Darlene sang River Deep, Mountain High in this show, so looks like she'd made peace with it by the 80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 29, 2016 4:13 AM

There are TWO Betty Buckleys singing backup. TWO OF THEM!

by Anonymousreply 16December 29, 2016 4:29 PM

Wait. The Broadway Betty Buckley? That can't... be right?

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2018 4:50 AM

That was AMAZING, OP! Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2018 5:04 AM

Is that really Betty Buckley on the left?

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2018 5:08 AM

Paul Shaffer was a genius chameleon of a performer. There's no genre he couldn't play/recreate.

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2018 5:13 AM

You know, there's a time and a place for subtlety, but this isn't it.

SHOUT IT, DARLENE, GIVE IT EVERYTHING YOU GOT!!!

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2018 6:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!