Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

10 Reasons New York City Is Painfully Overrated

3. Nearly everything people brag about getting here, you can get in most major cities. Sometimes when you’re talking to a New Yorker, it feels like they think no restaurants, bars, or museums exist outside of a ten-mile radius from the Empire State Building. Like I don’t know if you realize, but you can go to a restaurant in Minneapolis, or a bar in Rome. And you’ll probably pay way less for a beer.

8. Everyone is super hyped up about all the amazing shit they can’t afford here. Yes, 90 percent of normal people in New York City can’t afford to go shopping in the West Village, or try any of the twenty-something Michelin-starred restaurants, or stay in any of the magnificent, storied hotels. No one can enjoy a Carrie Bradshaw lifestyle, or even a Miranda Hobbes one. Pretty much everything the media teaches you is ~fabulous~ about NYC is out of everyone’s price range. But people are totally content to get a contact high off of all the great stuff around them without ever being able to participate. Just walking past that amazing brunch spot with the four-hour wait is enough to motivate the New Yorker for their eight-hour shift at an Aldo.

9. The stuff they can afford – and brag about – New Yorkers never actually do. People will tell you all the time how much the ~art and culture~ here is so incredible and irreplaceable (which, okay, but you can go to most cities for that, as seen in point three), in the same breath that they tell you they have not been to the Met in five years, and have never seen an opera or ballet. They just like to know that all of this art and culture is available, waiting for the moment they will eventually choose to engage with it. They don’t have to actually enjoy it to feel smug about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262June 6, 2020 6:50 AM

PREACH THE GOSPEL OF TRUTH

by Anonymousreply 1December 18, 2016 11:52 PM

Outside of the theater Manhattan holds little interest to me. There are many cities in the world that I like to visit more.

by Anonymousreply 2December 18, 2016 11:55 PM

Everything is overrated. Don't come here. We're full.

by Anonymousreply 3December 18, 2016 11:58 PM

And all the irate NYC shop bottoms whose life style this article so accurately describes will be responding in five, four, three....

Oh wait. It's the week before Christmas and all the shop bottoms and retail queens have to work until the stores close at 10PM.

by Anonymousreply 4December 19, 2016 12:02 AM

Theater in NY is painfully expensive and overrated.

by Anonymousreply 5December 19, 2016 12:04 AM

Yeah, but ya gotta go just once.

by Anonymousreply 6December 19, 2016 12:06 AM

Everything is ridiculously overpriced & seldom worth the cost.

Burning hot & humid in summer. Bitter cold & windy in winter.

Corruption top to bottom in its govt. Esp the police.

by Anonymousreply 7December 19, 2016 12:10 AM

New York City has a lot of things to keep visitors busy for at least 2 weeks. There are many affordable places to visit, you don't have to go to the most expensive restaurants or spend a fortune on the priciest Broadway shows. You example can spend an entire day at American Museum of Nature History for $35 supersaver ticket see most of the special exhibits and the Rose Planetarium.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 19, 2016 12:13 AM

NYC was interesting before all you flyover bitches turned it into an overpriced version of Des Moines.

by Anonymousreply 9December 19, 2016 12:19 AM

R8 - not really. Not 2 weeks - but again that's a different topic, which is what you could see as a visitor.

This piece is the best articulated list of reasons why NY is overrated - from a regular person's perspective. Yes, life can be awesome there when you're pretty wealthy, but that's not the most of New Yorkers (or it wasn't before).

I think #3 is really on point - particularly if you're talking about other large US cities: Nearly everything people brag about getting here, you can get in most major cities.

The culinary or art scene is not the solely ownership of New York anymore. Maybe at one time - but almost all major cities have very urbane centers with hipster areas and very very good food offerings and art. Theater? Well, there may be less but LA and Chicago still churns out a lot (particularly Chicago).

What the author doesn't talk about is the electricity and excitement of the city - that cannot be exported and is pretty unique to NY. THAT is what is so addictive. But usually most New Yorkers sacrifice a lot to scratch and claw their way through while hoping to rub shoulders with the rich and powerful. I'm glad I moved away when I did - I love New York, don't get me wrong, but you give up a lot just to be around excitement.

by Anonymousreply 10December 19, 2016 12:27 AM

[quote] You example can spend an entire day at American Museum of Nature History for $35 supersaver ticket see most of the special exhibits and the Rose Planetarium.

$35 to buy a single museum ticket is nothing to brag about. You can buy tickets for world class museums in most cities for a fraction of that cost. I can't even imagine what the non-supersaver cost would be.

by Anonymousreply 11December 19, 2016 12:31 AM

NYC is an elaborate and beautiful insane asylum created by and for the inmates who are so unhappy but don't know how to escape.

by Anonymousreply 12December 19, 2016 12:39 AM

Oh and I've been to both the Natural History museum and the planetarium - they are nothing to write home about. Many other cities have much larger natural history museums and equal planetariums. Why would you go to New York to see that any way?

Even the theater now - it's mainly film re-boots or biopics using a star's song catalog strung together with a contrived story to piece it together. Mamma Mia created it, but now it's fucking everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 13December 19, 2016 12:42 AM

I went to the Museum of Natural History recently and I hadn't been there since I was a kid.

I was very unimpressed and $35 for a New Yorker is stupidly expensive if you are claiming it is one of the reasons you are living here.

And the Public Theater now charges $90 for a seat?

And mid town is no longer exciting it is simply exhausting and crushing.

Looks pretty across the river though knowing you don't have to go there.

by Anonymousreply 14December 19, 2016 12:52 AM

New York is wonderful if you are a banker. But take a look at the joyless souls riding the subway during the day, and you'd think you were living in 1920s era Russia.

And residents boast about the wonderful summer months, but can't wait to get the hell out each and every weekend.

by Anonymousreply 15December 19, 2016 1:00 AM

The subway is so ugly. It has the feel of a third world city.

by Anonymousreply 16December 19, 2016 1:02 AM

NYC is a dump.

by Anonymousreply 17December 19, 2016 1:10 AM

Number 9. My best friend has lived there now for 10 years. Goes on and on about the culture and arts yet I had to beg her to see Hamilton. Has never been to the Met. But has been shopping at Trump Tower. So pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 18December 19, 2016 1:21 AM

I get what the article is pointing out, and there are lots of other cities to visit. Yet --- I have people I love there. None of them are close to wealthy. I spent 2 weeks there this summer and I never can do all the things I want to do. Then again, the people I love do partake of what the city has to offer, and so do I when I'm there. I go there every year. I am sure it would get tiresome if I lived there, at times, like any place might. Or just too gritty in some respects. And winter? NO.

by Anonymousreply 19December 19, 2016 5:14 AM

It smells. Every time I'd get off the (Amtrak) train, I'd be like wtf is that & then realized it was the whole city.

It's not bad though. It's particularly a great place to be if your employer is paying your bills.

Don't you people care that your whole city smells like ass? Is that part of the charm too?

by Anonymousreply 20December 19, 2016 5:30 AM

Why are people spending money to go to the Met or Natural History? I give a buck. I periodically go to different top-end restaurants, go to happy hours of interesting bars, I go to shows, ballet, opera, etc when I can get discounted tickets. I go to Shakespeare in the park (free). I get cheap tickets or deals to watch live sport events (baseball and tennis, mostly).

Yes, NYC is too expensive and yes it can be stinky, but Central Park is free and beautiful when you want fresh air and freedom. Riverside park when you want the water.

And, the rent is too damn high, but it’s better than the burbs. Born and bred NYCer.

by Anonymousreply 21December 19, 2016 5:50 AM

The author is a moron, whether she lives outside of NYC or in it.

90% of NYCers can't afford to shop in the West Village? What is this, Minnesota math?

Some unidentified percentage of people who live in NYC don't enjoy the culture? Think again. Just because the the kind of "friends" the blog writer has doesn't do those things does not mean the rest of us are the same.

The blog basically boils down to why other cities are supposed to be so equal to NYC or superior and yet no such argument is made.

by Anonymousreply 22December 19, 2016 5:58 AM

R21 Yes you can give any amount you want at these museums. But if you want to see all the special exhibits, $35 is reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 23December 19, 2016 10:27 AM

Studies consistently show that city dwellers are less happy than everyone else. Anyone who has ever lived in a big city knows this. But the grass is often greener.

Humans haven't evolved to live in such densely populated communities. With those numbers there will be lots of problems and a shit ton of corruption obfuscating solutions. But misery loves company so more people move to the city anyway.

by Anonymousreply 24December 19, 2016 12:52 PM

People still read blogs?

How... quaint.

by Anonymousreply 25December 19, 2016 12:57 PM

I think that NYC is probably the gayest city I've ever been to. It's the center of fine arts, theater and fashion so if your interested in those things that is the place to be. It's also the financial center of the world. I don't think it's a great place for a middle class person who's not involved in those fields to live in. The quality of life has to be poor for middle class families; gay men probably find it exhilarating though.

by Anonymousreply 26December 19, 2016 1:05 PM

In the city in the 70s when I was a kid I could afford to see musicals on Broadway from good orchestra seats at full price on Wed matinees.

No such thing as holding back seats except for the house seats.

Went to the City Ballet which was the greatest ballet company in the world(probably greatest ever) several times a week.

And I worked in supermarkets and book stores.

Now I might as well spend a 100k as a thousand dollars to see Hamilton.

Thank god I don't want to.

But if there were a new Prince/Sondheim musical still at the height of their powers that would be very frustrating.

And to me the whole point of NY was the professional theater otherwise you might as well be in Hackensack which at least had a couple of beautiful old movie houses.

by Anonymousreply 27December 19, 2016 1:07 PM

Low information flyovers live like pigs. They'd never make it in NYC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 19, 2016 1:13 PM

Life in middle America is so soul crushing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 19, 2016 1:15 PM

The flyover states are so bland and white bread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 19, 2016 1:20 PM

I don't think NY is all that bad but it seems to be suffering from the same problem a lot of other American cities have- a corporate blandness seems to be taking over and erasing everything that made NYC neighborhoods exciting and unique. The whole world is just one big Disneyworld/Chipotle etc. now.

by Anonymousreply 31December 19, 2016 1:20 PM

The subway today is a pig sty.

I could use those jeans now.

by Anonymousreply 32December 19, 2016 1:21 PM

If you can make it in NYC, you can make it anywhere

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 19, 2016 1:23 PM

I learn so much every day living in NYC. Why would you live anywhere else

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 19, 2016 1:26 PM

R27 If you have a car you may as well live in Hackensack. We have similar cultural offerings (except current Broadway, of course) that's often cheaper with less traffic and stress.

by Anonymousreply 35December 19, 2016 1:28 PM

It got boring.

by Anonymousreply 36December 19, 2016 2:01 PM

NYC is a clogged up public toilet. Only the delusional have anything good to say about it.

by Anonymousreply 37December 19, 2016 2:13 PM

I've lived here for almost 40 years and I'm really getting tired of NYC. Subway service is awful and there are nowhere near enough trains on the weekends with all of the tourists. Broadway is practically a joke at this point, and a grossly overpriced joke at that. Come to think of it, Off-Broadway is way overpriced too though you can at least see some interesting work there.

If it wasn't for the level of health care here and the fact that - once you can't drive anymore - public transit is at least available, I would happily leave.

by Anonymousreply 38December 19, 2016 2:15 PM

Middle America is full of backwards, inbred, intolerant people! They think they're so cool just because they have jobs, pay taxes, and don't live off of the taxpayers!

Ultra Orthodox Jews From Williamsburg, Brooklyn, Protest Against New Israeli Draft Policy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 19, 2016 2:20 PM

Excellent -- we are so sick of fat, rude, ugly Southerners coming to our city and clogging up the sidewalks. The more articles like this, the better NYC will be.

by Anonymousreply 40December 19, 2016 2:23 PM

Hasidic Tensions in Williamsburg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 19, 2016 2:26 PM

The list is true, but I still love it.

by Anonymousreply 42December 19, 2016 2:28 PM

[quote] Excellent -- we are so sick of fat, rude, ugly Southerners coming to our city and clogging up the sidewalks.

We are sick of orange Yankees stealing elections by pandering to white nationalists.

And the majority of voters chose a white Southern woman.

by Anonymousreply 43December 19, 2016 2:29 PM

I lived in NYC for 3 years. Talk about a racist and segregated place. It's not progressive and city management is poor. They are among the most bottom of the barrel racist and homophobic Democrats walking.

by Anonymousreply 44December 19, 2016 2:31 PM

R43 If you're referring to Hillary, she's not a Southerner. Shes from Illinois.

by Anonymousreply 45December 19, 2016 2:35 PM

I blame the Italians for that, R44.

by Anonymousreply 46December 19, 2016 2:35 PM

[quote] If you're referring to Hillary, she's not a Southerner. Shes from Illinois.

She lived in Arkansas long enough to qualify.

by Anonymousreply 47December 19, 2016 2:36 PM

New York is arguably the capital of the world and anyone who can be here and not feel why it's a city apart from all others (with the possible exceptions of Paris, London and Tokyo) really [bold]should[/bold] stay away.

There's always Muncie, Indiana. I mean, why bother with New York when Muncie has opera (at Ball State) and steak restaurants (Amazing Joe's Grill AND Outback Steakhouse) too? Look at Muncie's history museum, shown below. New York, pshah! And houses are more affordable in Muncie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 19, 2016 2:37 PM

[quote]I totally agree that New York City seems to get the absolute worst of the extreme seasons, punctuated by an admittedly gorgeous four-week period in spring and fall. It’s either summer, and the whole city feels like a concrete-lined sweat lodge, full of molten garbage and a humidity level of “beef stew.” Or it’s winter, and each row of skyscrapers forms its own little wind tunnel, where your eyelashes have the pleasure of freezing off within five minutes of leaving work.

Not true.

The warm spring days often start at the end of March & summer often only becomes wretched late July/August.

Even during winter you have many beautiful, crystal clear sunny days.

I'd swap dreary old London weather for NYC's, any day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 19, 2016 2:38 PM

Stupid Southern cows always getting in the way and holding up traffic in NYC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 19, 2016 2:38 PM

R46 I didnt know Al Sharpton & his cronies were Italian!

You learn something new every day on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 51December 19, 2016 2:41 PM

It is an overrated, overpriced, overcrowded shithole. People who rave about it have never been to another big city.

by Anonymousreply 52December 19, 2016 2:41 PM

Where do you live, R52?

by Anonymousreply 53December 19, 2016 2:42 PM

R47 You're obviously not a Southerner. They'll tell you they're born, not made.

Hillarys no more a Southerner than Rudy Giuliani.

by Anonymousreply 54December 19, 2016 2:43 PM

Typical subway ride in NYC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 19, 2016 2:43 PM

The monthly NYC bashing thread. Joy.

It's the regular opportunity for the flyover morons and those who couldn't make it in NYC themselves to participate in one big circle jerk.

by Anonymousreply 56December 19, 2016 2:48 PM

[quote]Hillarys no more a Southerner than Rudy Giuliani.

At least Rudy is actually from New York.

by Anonymousreply 57December 19, 2016 2:48 PM

[quote] those who couldn't make it in NYC themselves

More like "not stupid enough to pay $2,000 for a studio apartment."

by Anonymousreply 58December 19, 2016 2:49 PM

r56 is freaking out because he doesn't want to lose that rent money from all the freiers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 19, 2016 2:49 PM

My pet peeve? People who say "only in NY" about things that could happen in any number of cities.

Cabbie speaking Somali while driving you to a Russian bar? Yeah, take your pick of a dozen of US cities.

Huge celeb studded gala? Yeah, LA does this all the time.

Schools with 128 different languages spoken? Please,, there are suburban counties that can match that.

Avante garde sex/art installation? Try SF or Seattle

The list goes on

by Anonymousreply 60December 19, 2016 2:50 PM

Madrid R53

by Anonymousreply 61December 19, 2016 2:51 PM

The "Only in New York" people are as dumb as W Bush

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 19, 2016 2:52 PM

r58 2K for a studio apartment? Honey, you must be talking about renting in the South Bronx. Try 5K and up, and that's still not luxury living by any means.

by Anonymousreply 63December 19, 2016 2:54 PM

New Yorkers love to celebrate diversity, and justice for all

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 19, 2016 2:54 PM

Stay away. We're overpriced. We're terrible. Believe me, you don't want to come here

Especially at Christmas

by Anonymousreply 65December 19, 2016 2:55 PM

Bah humbug

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 19, 2016 2:56 PM

Only in New York

New York Rabbi Trafficking Human Organs:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 19, 2016 2:58 PM

Start a thread about any city in the world and the 'shithole' trolls and their variants arrive, en masse.

by Anonymousreply 68December 19, 2016 2:58 PM

Gay Embarrassment Parade

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 19, 2016 3:01 PM

This is for you, cracker breeder goy R62/R64/R68/R69 et al

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 19, 2016 3:07 PM

Those church collection plates must be cracking to pay for the PTSD treatment of all the altar boys these perverted papist pigs raped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 19, 2016 3:08 PM

Keep your kids away from goyim at all costs or they will be rape statistics before they're old enough to even consent to sex in the first place:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 19, 2016 3:09 PM

You could get a ògigantic house plus several acres of land outside of Omaha for what you pay for a shoebox in NY. You would be crazy to come here. You can watch NY on your TV, you don't need to be here.

The subway is dirty! The buses are overcrowded! The mayor is a communist! You can go to the stores on 5th Avenue in a nice warm shopping mall instead. Central Park is just grass and some trees, so what? National parks are 1,000 better.

Don't come to NY, it's horrible. You'll hate it. You'll wish you never wasted your money. Don't buy those "comfortable walking shoes" you heard you should have. They're not comfortable enough.

The prices are outrageous! You could do so much better in Pennsylvania with a lot less. Go to the nice Amish barn places. Or the Dells in Wisconsin. There's no rape or murder in those places.

by Anonymousreply 73December 19, 2016 3:09 PM

The Dutch stole it from the Indians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 19, 2016 3:10 PM

don't stress yourself hunty

NYC is for the RICH arabs and tacky Russians and vulgarians

shitty people you find everywhere buy somehow in NYC they congregate, they find their nest

says more about The City then about the haters

by Anonymousreply 75December 19, 2016 3:11 PM

Yes R48 New York is the capital of the world. It was the reason I moved there. It was good to me. It made me. The best part is the people. New Yorkers are the most talented group of people anywhere, from everywhere.

But after 30+ years it wasn't enough. Nothing truly different could be done there. As the world capital it was best for presentation and recognition. It was and is the place to savor the best the rest of the world had to offer.

But to engage meaningfully with yourself and your own work as one matures one must move away. The need for the best that is on offer goes away. The best others offer becomes a distraction. It becomes a diversion.

One needs to be somewhat in the periphery, but connected, to expand. I remember Fellini saying he doesn't come to New York as it gets in the way of his own thinking and ideas. It offered him too much of others'. The static was overwhelming for his creativity.

The best, one realizes, is not good enough. It depends on where you are in your life and what you want to achieve next.

I still love New York. It will always be my home, my second birthplace. I'm still connected with it. But I'm done with living there.

by Anonymousreply 76December 19, 2016 3:11 PM

[quote]New York is the capital of the world.

New York isn't even the capital of New York.

by Anonymousreply 77December 19, 2016 3:20 PM

R63, bullshit, stop talking outta your ass. Clearly you have no concept of the reality of NYC prices. Yes it's expensive but you can still get a studio apartment in Manhattan for $2-2.5k/month.

by Anonymousreply 78December 19, 2016 3:23 PM

That's still overpriced and insane. I thought they had rent control there and it was pretty much mandatory. If it was working, a studio apartment wouldn't cost anywhere near that kind of money.

by Anonymousreply 79December 19, 2016 3:39 PM

I like your dry humor, r78

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 19, 2016 3:39 PM

r78 I'm not living in the damn ghetto in the boroughs, and the prices you're stating is exactly where you'd be. Post a link showing where you can get a studio apartment in MANHATTAN for 2K - 2.5K a month.

by Anonymousreply 81December 19, 2016 3:43 PM

[quote]Madrid [R53]

Well, I can see why someone who lives in a third world country would resent New York. I accept your apology.

by Anonymousreply 82December 19, 2016 3:47 PM

[quote]That's still overpriced and insane.

Chump change. Some people just [italic]need[/italic] to live in lesser cities.

by Anonymousreply 83December 19, 2016 3:48 PM

But nobody [italic]needs[/italic] to be a cunt, R83. You just chose to be one.

by Anonymousreply 84December 19, 2016 3:50 PM

That's just way it looks from down where you are in the gutter, R84. Enjoy your dinner at Olive Garden!

by Anonymousreply 85December 19, 2016 3:52 PM

r85 would never eat at Olive Garden. He cooks at home, in the kitchen/bathroom/bedroom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86December 19, 2016 3:55 PM

R26 London is the financial center of the world. As for fashion and fine arts, that would be Paris and Rome. Theater is reasonable but again, London has its equal. The thing is every major city has great attractions. New York isn't unique and using preeminent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87December 19, 2016 3:56 PM

I hate New York and I'm glad someone wrote this story!!!

by Anonymousreply 88December 19, 2016 3:59 PM

R61 Madrid is wonderful city. I could see myself living there. Beautiful, lots of culture, hot men and open minded good gay scene.

by Anonymousreply 89December 19, 2016 4:00 PM

R82 I hope you're kidding, but feel sorry for you if you're serious.

by Anonymousreply 90December 19, 2016 4:03 PM

[quote] That's just way it looks from down where you are in the gutter, [R84]. Enjoy your dinner at Olive Garden!

Now who's the one engaging in cultural stereotypes? And NYC these days has just as many chain restaurants, in case you haven't noticed the McDonald's in Times Square.

And you foisted Drumpf on us.

by Anonymousreply 91December 19, 2016 4:03 PM

R63 345 E. 94th Street, $2500 per month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92December 19, 2016 4:03 PM

Anything NYC has I can get in Philadelphia. Why, I'm even getting New Yorkers...they've been moving down here to live and they commute to the Rotten Apple.

by Anonymousreply 93December 19, 2016 4:04 PM

North Carolina has plenty of New Yorkers, too. Chapel Hill and Durham have tried to make Jewish delis happen for years but none of them last because the ex-New Yorkers they're aimed at are always dissatisfied with them for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 94December 19, 2016 4:06 PM

[quote] I thought they had rent control there and it was pretty much mandatory.

For the 50 millionth flyover time:

Less than 2% of housing in NY is rent controlled.

Step back from the 1970s, hun.

The rest of the world has moved on

by Anonymousreply 95December 19, 2016 4:09 PM

Isn't NYC on a fault line?

by Anonymousreply 96December 19, 2016 4:12 PM

[quote][R26] London is the financial center of the world.

Nope. Was briefly when all the post-Lehman regulations went into effect and many deals migrated to London, but those days are over. IPOs in London were at a height of about 13% in 2007 or 2008 but they are down to about 7 or 8% now, a precipitous fall. That also ignores the fact that the London market is tiny compared to the NY market. In fact London isn't even number 2. It's not even number 3!

by Anonymousreply 97December 19, 2016 4:13 PM

Go West!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98December 19, 2016 4:13 PM

I'd take NY over Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or any flyover city any day of the week. Been to SF, which totally lost its charm thanks to the techies. LA isa nice place to visit, but I wwouldn't want to live there --poor transportation, vapid population. Chicago is NY light (very light) and the southern cities have no excitement, just a lot of NY retirees down there for warmer weather and a lower cost of living.

by Anonymousreply 99December 19, 2016 4:14 PM

You can keep En Why See and El Lay. I'm a San Fran man.

by Anonymousreply 100December 19, 2016 4:14 PM

I could prolly get 3 HOUSES in Oklahoma for the price of a shoebox in NY! And there's not nearly so many Jew sand brown people. And when there are earthquakes here from fracking, the bigger buildings won't fall down because they aren't that big.

I'll spend my vacation money in DisneyWorld, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 101December 19, 2016 4:14 PM

R101 projecting his prejudices onto the rest of the country as usual.

by Anonymousreply 102December 19, 2016 4:16 PM

[quote][R82] I hope you're kidding, but feel sorry for you if you're serious.

Oh to the contrary, it is I who feel sorry for [bold]you[/bold]. Living in a city that [italic]used[/italic] to matter, but is now full of pickpockets, in a country who's per capita GDP is basically in the Third World. Which explains the pickpockets of course!

Any city in the PIIGS is really just to be pitied.

by Anonymousreply 103December 19, 2016 4:16 PM

The point I agree with is sometimes people don't realize how much other cities have grown and evolved. This idea that great food scenes/interesting diversity/great cultural amenities and things like that can only be found in New York is silly.

by Anonymousreply 104December 19, 2016 4:17 PM

[quote][R63] 345 E. 94th Street, $2500 per month.

It's "cheap" because that's a very shitty location.

by Anonymousreply 105December 19, 2016 4:21 PM

My building in midtown rents about 2000 for a large studio. One bedroom is going for 3000. Post war and excellent location.

by Anonymousreply 106December 19, 2016 4:24 PM

Agree 100% with this list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107December 19, 2016 4:24 PM

[quote]Madrid [[R53]]

I'd choose NYC over Madrid.

Who'd want to live in fucking Spain?

Apart from Brits who look like this >

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108December 19, 2016 4:25 PM

94th is no longer a shitty location. And 345 is close to the 2nd ave subway that wil open soon. All of the older 6 story buildings will be coming down soon.

by Anonymousreply 109December 19, 2016 4:26 PM

Funny how PIIGS are mostly heavily Catholic countries, except for Greece, which is Orthodox.

by Anonymousreply 110December 19, 2016 4:28 PM

[quote]94th is no longer a shitty location.

They moved it?

It's still a shitty location - too far up and too far over - also, it's depressing.

[quote]And 345 is close to the 2nd ave subway that wil open soon.

Yippee!

[quote] All of the older 6 story buildings will be coming down soon.

So it will look even more like Vancouver. Enjoy the noise.

by Anonymousreply 111December 19, 2016 4:29 PM

Link r106? Not trying to say you are lying, I am honestly intrigued by this.

by Anonymousreply 112December 19, 2016 4:29 PM

Hood Prank Jewish Landlord Collects Rent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113December 19, 2016 4:31 PM

I found this which I thought was interesting, the interest price of a studio apartment in different Manhattan neighborhoods.

For a non-doorman studio apt the average cost Manhattan wide is 2600. Unsurprisingly the cheapest is Harlem where for a non-door studio the average cost is under 2k at $1800.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114December 19, 2016 4:38 PM

average price*

by Anonymousreply 115December 19, 2016 4:38 PM

If you are that intrigued, R112, then I suggest you try Streeteasy, Zillow, City Realty or even Google. Cause their ain't no way I am posting a link on DL that will give away my address. And r115, I live in a doorman (24/7) building.

by Anonymousreply 116December 19, 2016 4:41 PM

R35 Jersey smells worse than Manhattan! If you said Westchester or Long island I would say yes to your proposition..but Jersey? The only place in the NYC area that actually reeks more than NYC is Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 117December 19, 2016 4:42 PM

What does it smell of, R117?

by Anonymousreply 118December 19, 2016 4:46 PM

Jersey smells of farts and rotten eggs.

by Anonymousreply 119December 19, 2016 4:48 PM

New Jersey Gays > >

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120December 19, 2016 4:50 PM

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that people living anywhere else have to be, in some sense, kidding."

John Updoke

by Anonymousreply 121December 19, 2016 4:50 PM

That's about right, r119. The refineries, petrochemical, chemical and pharmaceutical plants give parts of Jersey a unique odor. My sister lived near IFF in Jersey and at least once a week they would release some flavor or fragrance into the neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 122December 19, 2016 4:53 PM

R97 I provided a link to prove that London is #1. You just whine. Where's your proof? Please provide some evidence to back up your false claims.

by Anonymousreply 123December 19, 2016 5:01 PM

Everything post Brexit says the major finacial companies are leaving London, r123.

by Anonymousreply 124December 19, 2016 5:15 PM

[quote]New York is wonderful if you are a banker. But take a look at the joyless souls riding the subway during the day, and you'd think you were living in 1920s era Russia.

This is how I - born in London - feel about London. I now live in France but attended a conference in London this year. Travelling on the Tube I saw so many weary. exhausted-looking, lifeless people, in cheap clothing, dusty footwear, with pallid skin (these were all white people, who looked working to lower middle class) as if they simply could not afford to eat fresh fruit and vegetables, and were either too poor or too worn-out to bother with their appearance. I shuddered and was glad to get off at my stop.

by Anonymousreply 125December 19, 2016 5:24 PM

r125 And Marie Antoinette thought she had it bad.

by Anonymousreply 126December 19, 2016 5:26 PM

I felt for them, R126. I truly did.

by Anonymousreply 127December 19, 2016 5:29 PM

What is it then R97??

by Anonymousreply 128December 19, 2016 5:29 PM

That's funny, r125. Cause everyone in my company's Paris office wants out of France because they are taxed to death and everything is very expensive. Even free health care isn't enough to keep them happy.

by Anonymousreply 129December 19, 2016 5:32 PM

[quote]I now live in France

Where do you live, gurl?

by Anonymousreply 130December 19, 2016 5:34 PM

I believe he lives in France r130.

by Anonymousreply 131December 19, 2016 5:35 PM

[quote]Cause everyone in my company's Paris office wants out of France because they are taxed to death and everything is very expensive

& they all seem to come to London.

I live in a terrace of five houses. Two of them are owned French gens and this isn't even South Kensington.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132December 19, 2016 5:37 PM

Yes, R132, London seems to be the destination of choice for those leaving France, which makes R125 kinda funny.

by Anonymousreply 133December 19, 2016 5:45 PM

[quote] What does it [New Jersey] smell of, [R117]?

A hairy, sweaty Italian nutsack right after the gym.

by Anonymousreply 134December 19, 2016 5:48 PM

New Jersey lesbians.

Who does the one on the left remind you of?

Begins with an F.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135December 19, 2016 5:51 PM

R81, lots of Manhattan studio options in neighborhoods like the East Village, Lower East Side, Hell's Kitchen, etc. for under $2500. Yes expensive, but let's stop saying a studio costs $5k/month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136December 19, 2016 5:56 PM

New York has the exact same issues as the rest of America, namely Local government is a mishmash of poorly managed nonsense. We need a national movement on local government reform, to take the power from the states which has been used to beggar and destroy the nation's urban areas. We also need laws to ban abortions like the Port Authority. Perpetual quasi-public authorities are just a way bureaucracies have of insulating themselves from the priority setting of true democracy.

by Anonymousreply 137December 19, 2016 5:59 PM

R130, I live in Neuilly-sur-Seine. It's a little dull, truth be told. But preferable to horrible, filthy London.

by Anonymousreply 138December 19, 2016 6:01 PM

UHG! look what that studio on Allen Street looks onto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 19, 2016 6:02 PM

Years ago, I switched my affection from New York to Hamburg, Genève, Nice and Lisbon. None of them especially fabulous cities but all 4 exceedingly pleasant on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 140December 19, 2016 6:04 PM

[quote][R130], I live in Neuilly-sur-Seine. It's a little dull, truth be told. But preferable to horrible, filthy London.

Keep telling yourself that, gurlfriend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141December 19, 2016 6:04 PM

R139, tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 142December 19, 2016 6:07 PM

Years ago, I switched my affection from New York to Hamburg, Genève, Nice and Lisbon.

Hamburg? Pleeeaase!

Geneve - all the rich people in Geneva ever talk about is how dreary and dull it is.

Nice got ruined when they started the cheap flights from England.

by Anonymousreply 143December 19, 2016 6:08 PM

What is this thread?

Revenge of the flyovers?

by Anonymousreply 144December 19, 2016 6:09 PM

Yeah the average cost for a non-doorman studio in Manhattan is 2600.

The idea it is impossible to find a studio for in the 2.5-2k range isn't true.

by Anonymousreply 145December 19, 2016 6:10 PM

R124 can you name one? Just one. I've read lots of places that companies are going to leave but none have actually done it. Not one.

by Anonymousreply 146December 19, 2016 6:15 PM

^ I think they wouldn't leave altogether - more like transfer base of operations from London to another city, so work and jobs would leave rather than "companies."

by Anonymousreply 147December 19, 2016 6:20 PM

^ not r124 btw

by Anonymousreply 148December 19, 2016 6:21 PM

None have left yet, R148 because the separation hasn't happened yet. I can say that one of the major banks is close to signing a real estate deal in Paris with the intent on relocating after the separation.

by Anonymousreply 149December 19, 2016 6:43 PM

No one wants to leave London.

The language thing alone keeps them there.

The whole world speaks English.

Remember that.

by Anonymousreply 150December 19, 2016 6:45 PM

I felt the same way when I lived in San Diego. I never actually WENT to the beach, but I liked knowing I could if I wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 151December 19, 2016 6:48 PM

R150 doesn't make sense, if the whole world speaks English then relocating somewhere else will be extremely easy for the bankers.

by Anonymousreply 152December 19, 2016 6:48 PM

Yes, the whole world does speak Englis, R150, which is why it doesn't matter where the financial institutions move.

by Anonymousreply 153December 19, 2016 6:49 PM

And to add, R150, businesses aren't charities. They will move when and where they can make the most profit regardless of what damage is done to London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154December 19, 2016 6:51 PM

All of you who hate NYC and live elsewhere, don't come here.

All of you who hate NYC and do live here, please leave.

More for me.

by Anonymousreply 155December 19, 2016 6:55 PM

It's exciting if you're in the performing arts, because there's no limit how high you can go. If you're the most famous actor in Cleveland, no one's heard of you.

by Anonymousreply 156December 19, 2016 6:55 PM

To believe that NYC is the "capital of the world" shows just how provincial, uneducated, and dimwitted New Yorkers are. It's just a run of the mill shithole. That it's bigger than most does not equate to a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 157December 19, 2016 7:11 PM

Oh, dear!

You are the one that sounds uneducated r157. Global cities are a real thing. The two most influential and important global cities are London and New York. They stand in a category of their own in terms of their importance to the global economy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158December 19, 2016 7:15 PM

Isn't NYC gonna be underwater soon? (And even sooner thank to Trump)

by Anonymousreply 159December 19, 2016 7:28 PM

[quote]It's just a run of the mill shithole.

R157 lives in >>

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160December 19, 2016 10:53 PM

R149 the banks have decided to stay in the financial capital of the world post-Brexit instead of flouncing off in a hissy fit because they didn't get their own way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 19, 2016 11:39 PM

Is that why one of the big banks offered to pay our firm to break its Paris office lease early, r161? Because they are staying in London. And this was last week!

by Anonymousreply 162December 19, 2016 11:45 PM

Not possible they may be opening another branch r162? Tell you what, you provide some evidence of financial institutions fleeing London and we'll believe you.

by Anonymousreply 163December 19, 2016 11:47 PM

Sure, R163. The link I posted upthread fom the International Business Times was dated last week. And, no, it's not for a branch.

by Anonymousreply 164December 19, 2016 11:52 PM

NYC wins this one!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165December 19, 2016 11:55 PM

R164 the article you posted was gossip from one Frenchman. Nothing actually from any financial institution.

by Anonymousreply 166December 20, 2016 12:08 AM

And here is the BBC version, R166. Face it, they are going.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167December 20, 2016 12:15 AM

Says France.... again, not a word from any of these banks. Still the same old baseless gossip r167. Wishful thinking.

by Anonymousreply 168December 20, 2016 12:17 AM

Citigroup’s efforts show banks are shifting from warning about moving jobs from Britain to firming up plans to do so by picking specific destinations. The US bank expects to have desks up and running across the region before the end of the expected two-year negotiation period and is in discussions with the European Central Bank and regulators in EU nations including Ireland about relocating other parts of its operations, one of the people said.

UBs did something similar last week. The only wishful thinking is on your part, R168.

by Anonymousreply 169December 20, 2016 12:25 AM

I'ved lived here in NYC for over 30 years. I am over Manhattan, no question about it. The shopping also stinks; I shop online like everyone else. I live in Brooklyn, across the street from the park, and I like my neighborhood, the deli, my neighbors, some of the local stores.

There are parts of the city (Manhattan) I used to absolutely love. Rockefeller Centre. Grand Central. Driving south on the FDR drive. The Financial district. The theatre district. University Place in Greenwich Village when Cedar Tavern was still around. I hit my "enough already" point about 3 years ago.

I love visiting family in the suburbs and going shopping in a mall where the stores actually have stock (our Targets suck), or I can get everything done - oil changed, grocery shopping, nails done, take-out, etc. The convenience of the suburbs. NYC is supposed to have everything but the stores don't have half of the stuff you can get in the stores outside NYC.

I knew I was teetering on the brink when I envied a friend who lived in Jersey City. Easy access to Manhattan, but not Manhattan, manageable cost of living (not so sure about it now).

I bought in Brooklyn years ago and my mortgage is very low and is paid off next year. It's not the cost of housing.

What I do like here is the diversity. Work and socializing isn't as integrated as New Yorkers would like people to believe, but you do encounter everybody. I'm taken aback when I'm out of town and a family member has people pegged into little stereotypes because they don't run into a hijab that often, and they have to comment every time. I like that it's pretty hard to find the leggings, oversized shirt, blonde hair and perma-tan I see everywhere else (we get that, but it's not EVERYWHERE. It's not the default mom gear). There's not a lot of "beachy layered hair." I like that there's a bit of the European style sensibility where people focus on a couple of things - hair, maybe their coat - and relax about the rest of it. There's no head-to-toe "looks" where everything has to go together. I also like the trend of married couples where the woman makes the money, so on the weekends she's the one who looks like a schlub and the guy looks like he's a wannabe rock star. AND I like how the kids dress, which is pull anything random out of your drawers - polka dot leggings, plaid shirt, rainbow tutu style skirt from Old Navy, and a parka, and it's fine. Brooklyn, at least, has radicalized how little girls dress. Nobody's trying to look like Kate Middleton dressed them that morning.

by Anonymousreply 170December 20, 2016 12:32 AM

[quote] It's still a shitty location - too far up and too far over - also, it's depressing.

Too far over from what?

by Anonymousreply 171December 20, 2016 6:25 AM

$2850 for a one bedroom. Pool, gym, rooftop area.

No fee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172December 20, 2016 6:40 AM

& look what it's like outside your front door, R172.

Are those projects across the street?

It's soulless and depressing and miles from anywhere any wants to go. That's why it's so reasonable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173December 20, 2016 8:50 AM

If I'm paying $3k/mo to live somewhere it'd better have fucking palm trees.

by Anonymousreply 174December 20, 2016 9:01 AM

No, R173. Those aren't projects. They are other condos or co-ops.

by Anonymousreply 175December 20, 2016 9:45 AM

This thread is making me horny as hell!

by Anonymousreply 176December 20, 2016 9:55 AM

If you're paying $2,500 for a tiny studio how much should you be making comfortably a year gross without stressing financially?

by Anonymousreply 177December 20, 2016 10:31 AM

HARLEM, R81. And these are renovated apartments. Nice studios for 1300 to 1500 a month.

Stop the fear mongering about rent.

And Harlem is about to open a Whole Foods.

Harlem is absolutely lovely.

by Anonymousreply 178December 23, 2016 1:34 PM

You can have palm trees in New York. It's contra-indicated by the climate, but you can.

by Anonymousreply 179December 23, 2016 1:57 PM

[quote]There are parts of the city (Manhattan) I used to absolutely love. Rockefeller Centre.

No one who has lived in NY for 30 years spells it any other way than "Center," you twit.

by Anonymousreply 180December 23, 2016 2:02 PM

Bensonhurst drags the city down...

by Anonymousreply 181December 23, 2016 2:35 PM

KINGSBRIDGE IS WHERE YOU WANNA BE IN 2017

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182December 23, 2016 2:37 PM

Remember, it's always sunny in philadelphia!

by Anonymousreply 183December 23, 2016 2:54 PM

All these queens defending their choice to pay 2K for a closet, travel in a crowded, stinky subway (that could very well be the ugliest one in the world) and stand in line on a sidewalk, in the cold ,waiting to get in a Trader Joes to buy the few groceries they can afford are pathetic and have obviously never set foot on another mayor city.

by Anonymousreply 184December 23, 2016 3:36 PM

How is it that every other city on earth that has a subway system has clean, quiet, safe, and efficient subways? Why is NY's subway system so over-the-top wretched? Obviously it doesn't have to be that way, so why is it?

by Anonymousreply 185December 23, 2016 3:41 PM

R185, because the MTA is a corrupt clusterfuck that doesn't know it's head from it's ass. Combine that with the system being older than every other city you're thinking of.

by Anonymousreply 186December 23, 2016 3:51 PM

London also has a wretched subway. Part of it is age.

by Anonymousreply 187December 23, 2016 3:53 PM

Planting your New York palm trees

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188December 23, 2016 3:57 PM

I dont know even one native NYer who's left to live elsewhere, who has any desire to go back there to live. And all of them now live in other major American cities.

And those that go back to visit friends & family say the city has changed so much in so many negative ways, that they actively dislike the place now.

by Anonymousreply 189December 23, 2016 4:11 PM

[Quote]and stand in line on a sidewalk

Stand ON line, r184. In New York, one stands ON line.

That is all. Please proceed.

by Anonymousreply 190December 23, 2016 4:14 PM

Nice to meet you, r189. I moved to Pittsburgh for work a few years ago and I REFUSED to get rid of my NYC apartment. I'm back here as often as possible.

by Anonymousreply 191December 23, 2016 4:21 PM

I love NYC but what's frustrating about it is that it will never be finished. There are scaffolds up over existing buildings all the time all over the place. All of these new super-talls, HudsonYards, The Second Avenue subway line, World Trade Center (etc) look impressive when you see the plans and the artist's renditions of what they will look like, but they're often surrounded by or right up against some of the most craptastic buildings/neighborhoods there are. The new subway stations will still utilize those same old trains (even the PATH trains are cleaner and you never see panhandlers, break dancers or musicians).

People who come here expecting streets paved with gold and everyone dressed to the nines are in for a rude awakening when they see what it's really like. You just have to accept the fact that New York is vastly imperfect and that's part of its oddball charm. And that to get to the best parts you have to go through some of the bleakest, blandest boroughs and neighborhoods imaginable.

by Anonymousreply 192December 23, 2016 4:25 PM

After living in Pitts, r192, the bleakest and blandest in NY is amazingly beautiful in comparison to Pitts. It's all relative to each person and each place.

by Anonymousreply 193December 23, 2016 4:29 PM

Not true. Da burgh is gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194December 23, 2016 4:53 PM

Yes, R194, the downtown skyline is pretty. The NY skyline is pretty too. But when you get down to street level, Pitts is very bleak and looks like the worst of Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and Staten Island combined.

by Anonymousreply 195December 23, 2016 5:11 PM

Can someone please start a thread on the Top 10 reasons why anti-NYC people and their lists are overrated?

I am so tired for flyovers and suburbanites coming to NYC and finding it too expensive and being so sure that they have everything they need "right back at home" and "better"! So go there and make a fucking list about why other places are so great. The love-hate relationship with NYC is painfully absurd. I'm sure NYC would be happy if these people just left.

by Anonymousreply 196December 23, 2016 5:11 PM

R196 lives in the South Bronx & is very bitter.

We'll send Lens over you give you a teddy bear & a hug.

by Anonymousreply 197December 23, 2016 5:15 PM

How do you get that R196 lives in the South Bronx because he is tired of the NYC bashing from flyovers, r197. It would be like saying you must be a flyover because your post is moronic.

by Anonymousreply 198December 23, 2016 5:21 PM

Tthe ideal anywhere is to live in an affluent suburb of a manor city. Living on acreage in Bedford and going unto NYC when needed. Living in big cities has become too inefficient, too stressful.

by Anonymousreply 199December 23, 2016 6:04 PM

I've lived in NYC for 25 years and it's getting old. You tend to keep to the same restaurants and neighborhoods so the excitement is gone. Plus there are just gobs of people everywhere.

I need to move somewhere warmer and cheaper

by Anonymousreply 200December 23, 2016 6:24 PM

I agree with R198. R197, you read like the bitter one.

You don't see people posting thread after thread about why Alabama [or insert state here] is overrated. It's DLers who are obsessed with NYC and trashing it.

R200, you should leave like I did. I was born and raised in NYC and moved to a European capital for work. I miss NYC daily.

by Anonymousreply 201December 23, 2016 7:29 PM

New Yorkers have such thin sin. It's so much fun to cause them strokes.

by Anonymousreply 202December 23, 2016 7:30 PM

I've only been to NYC once. I've always loved visiting Chicago so I figured NYC would be like three Chicagos crammed into one. I was so afraid I'd fall in love with it and want to move there based on all the hype I'd heard beforehand and the fact that three Chicagos crammed into one really appealed to me when I imagined it.

Yea, didn't happen. Not for me. Never been back.

by Anonymousreply 203December 23, 2016 10:08 PM

[quote]If you're paying $2,500 for a tiny studio how much should you be making comfortably a year gross without stressing financially?

As a general life rule it is recommended that you don't spend more than 30% of your income on rent.

The average New Yorker spends a jaw-dropping 65% of their income on rent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204December 24, 2016 1:15 AM

The flyovers are projecting and trying to compensate for the fact that no one gives a flying fuck about their shithole "cities".

by Anonymousreply 205December 24, 2016 1:42 AM

Honestly OP, FUCK OFF. If you don't like NYC, either get the fuck out, or don't come here. We certainly don't need you.

by Anonymousreply 206December 24, 2016 2:00 AM

The flyovers are projecting and trying to compensate for the fact that no one gives a flying fuck about their shithole "cities".

But, those in other cities aren't worried about rising costs of everything, inefficient city services, and not enough spendable income. Also, if you look at all of the threads about anti-depressants and therapy, you would see that almost all are posted and discussed by New Yorkers. Believe me, we're happy that we aren't you.

by Anonymousreply 207December 24, 2016 2:12 AM

And NYers are happy we aren't you, R207. I guess we're even.

by Anonymousreply 208December 24, 2016 2:15 AM

R190 Insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 209December 24, 2016 2:56 AM

R207, and NYers are happy not to live in Bumblefuck, USA. Enjoy oblivion!

by Anonymousreply 210December 24, 2016 3:00 AM

Enjoy your pills, R210...and the therapist's bills..

by Anonymousreply 211December 24, 2016 3:35 AM

Enjoy the Waffle House and Wal-Mart, R211!

by Anonymousreply 212December 24, 2016 3:36 AM

Please, r211, it's bumblefuck America with the worst heroin and meth problems and not NYC.

by Anonymousreply 213December 24, 2016 3:52 AM

Oh let's face it everywhere is shit these days.

by Anonymousreply 214December 24, 2016 4:27 AM

The problem with NYC isn't the city but the people. They are oddly parochial. And braggarts. My issue too is that they think that any city outside of NYC is "bumblefuck" Like throughout this thread there is an assumption that you are posting from a flyover state/city. We are a nation of over 300 million. Is it hard to conceive many of the commenter's are from big metros?? The only thing I envy of NYC is a comprehensive subway. But even the NYC subway is pathetic compared to other countries--- even ones in developing countries.

by Anonymousreply 215December 24, 2016 5:25 AM

[quote]NYers are happy not to live in Bumblefuck, USA. Enjoy oblivion!

Billions of happy people are oblivious to your existence too. Who cares where you live?

by Anonymousreply 216December 24, 2016 5:36 AM

You NYC people spend 65% of your pay on rent!? Over my dead body. You barely have anything left at the end of the month to even enjoy the city with! Call me crazy, but I'd like to be able to retire someday. And own a house.

by Anonymousreply 217December 24, 2016 5:43 AM

And R217, think of all of the money you save by not having to go to therapy or buy anti-depressants.

by Anonymousreply 218December 24, 2016 2:14 PM

Real life in NYC is not a Sex And The City episode.

by Anonymousreply 219December 24, 2016 2:18 PM

There's an energy to NYC that you don't find elsewhere.

That's the appeal and it's worth it for many people who thrive on it and find other cities too quiet.

OTOH, if I was in a job where I knew I'd never make more than $100K, I'd never live there. Quality of life in a smaller city is just overwhelmingly better for someone at that income level.

by Anonymousreply 220December 24, 2016 3:36 PM

^^And please Olds don't start telling us about how you make $75K as a lighting guy on Broadway but have an apartment in the West Village you bought in 1977 for $20K. That ship sailed.

by Anonymousreply 221December 24, 2016 3:37 PM

The pro NYC people like the energy and the accessibility of many things but my take is the place was many little villages with access to high quality shops and culture. This is akin to the 'manor' neighborhoods described above but without the energy just outside ones door.

It is all about what one likes -- I found the city draining but appreciate others might like it.

Of course many of the likable things have disappeared since it became global.

by Anonymousreply 222December 24, 2016 5:08 PM

It's so overrated that there is a monthly thread on how overrated it is from jealous bitches who don't live here, yet come to the monthly thread to shit all over a city that is beyond their grasp.

by Anonymousreply 223December 24, 2016 6:03 PM

As I thought I'd explained earlier, I am not jealous of anyone losing 65% of their pay to rent. That is ludicrous. You work to live, and when it's all over with you have absolutely nothing to show for it. But hey, at least you got to experience that energy, amiright!?

by Anonymousreply 224December 24, 2016 6:11 PM

R224, why does it bother you so much what other people do with their money. Some people want to live in a major city and are willing to pay more for the experience. Some people don't and would rather live in rural areas. Who gives a flying fuck.

by Anonymousreply 225December 24, 2016 6:15 PM

Agreed, R225.

My guess is to that those paying 65% of their income as rent are low income workers.

by Anonymousreply 226December 24, 2016 6:19 PM

They dont even have washer and dryers in their homes. I was so shocked to find this out! 😱

by Anonymousreply 227December 24, 2016 6:24 PM

The rats would creep me out. And the funk in the summer

by Anonymousreply 228December 24, 2016 6:26 PM

It depends on the building, r227. Some have laundry rooms and some allow in apartment washer and dryers.

Id rather deal with rats and funk than be afraid to go out alone at night, R228.

by Anonymousreply 229December 24, 2016 6:29 PM

I live in Providence and commute into Boston daily. I swear to a non-existent deity I'm becoming more of a misanthrope as time goes on. You don't know the special hell that is getting off a commuter train and plodding along with the living dead.

by Anonymousreply 230December 24, 2016 6:49 PM

It takes a special type of person to live in NYC. Most Americans aspire for a single family home with a garage, lawn, good neighborhood schools, and friendly townsfolk.

by Anonymousreply 231December 24, 2016 8:09 PM

Now that is most certainly flyover talk, r231.

by Anonymousreply 232December 24, 2016 8:29 PM

No doubt, NY is a great city for millionaires and billionaires. For middle class and working class people, not so much. To really suck out the marrow of the city, you have to have millions of dollars at your disposal. That's why Manhattan has been nicknamed 'Billionaire Island'. Much of the city's mystique harkens back to a bygone era when you could live a fabulous, artsy, bohemian lifestyle for a pittance. Although that time no longer exists, people still associate the city with the heyday of the Greenwich Village beatnik scene, the 60s, 70s, and 80s Warhol scene, the 70s Studio 54 and gay scenes, the 80s and 90s nightlife scene with fabulous clubs like Danceteria, CBGB, Palladium, Limelight, and The Tunnel. That art scene and nightlife is gone and New York has been disneyfied and riddled with the same generic big box retail stores and chain restaurants you'd find in Anytown, USA. It's still one of the safest places to park your money if you're a Russian oligarch, Saudi royal, or one of 11,000 top ranking Chinese communist party members who have, over the past decade, funneled over 300 billion dollars to offshore accounts and multi-million dollar real estate investments to hedge against the collapse of the Chinese economy. If you're not part of this crowd, you will probably be living a dreary, workaday, window-shopping lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 233December 24, 2016 8:33 PM

Please, R233. You are making a sweeping generalization by pointing certain buildings in a certain section of the the city. MOST of Manhattan is not close to what you describe.

by Anonymousreply 234December 24, 2016 8:49 PM

Very easy to tell who is this thread actually has informed opinions about New York and who is pulling shit outta their asses.

by Anonymousreply 235December 24, 2016 8:52 PM

R234, what's your annual income? Wondering what your definition of 'middle class' is.

by Anonymousreply 236December 24, 2016 8:53 PM

R235, anyone who does not worship NYC and ridicule every other city are the ass-pullers.

by Anonymousreply 237December 24, 2016 9:02 PM

R224, we all go into the ground. Some of us will go into the ground having lived in NYC and some of us will go having WISHED they had but only being able to post bitter threads from their poor trash existence in BUMBLEFUCK, USA.

Which one are you, dear heart?

by Anonymousreply 238December 25, 2016 2:16 AM

Some people have actually lived in New York, moved elsewhere, and lived to post about it on DL.

It's not that rare or difficult to move to New York.

It's a lot more difficult to leave, and start a new life elsewhere, which explains the defensiveness of the "natives."

by Anonymousreply 239December 25, 2016 2:25 AM

If you came from somewhere else, why would it be hard to get out & go back? But for adult native NYers who never lived anywhere else, the barriers to leaving are huge. Most of my fam are stuck in that sinking shithole, been trying to pry them out for years. Hardly any of them even know how to drive a car! I fear they are fucked, condemned to spend the rest of their lives working their asses off to maintain horribly shitty lifestyles.

by Anonymousreply 240December 25, 2016 12:21 PM

Just like New York City, just like Jericho - pace the halls and climb the walls, and get out when they blow.

by Anonymousreply 241December 25, 2016 12:25 PM

Today the NY Times published an article entitled, "It No Longer Pays For Working Class Americans to Move to Big Cities". However, they failed to mention the role endless 3rd immigration has played in this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242January 11, 2019 10:40 PM

What's rally sad is every major American city is trying to copy of duplicate Manhattan...DC and the NEWCOMERS from Flypover regions...who think they have arrived... drool over rumors that DC is competitive with NYC. Over priced real estate. nasty servers in over priced restaurants making $17-20-per hour when it costs $50.00 and hour to live comfortably. It's the new techie crowd with no taste and are stupid enough to ignore the 'let the buyer beware' mentality... the book, the Rise of the Creative Class is the Bible for these folk....Even a quick value meal u=in McDonalds resembles the hastily thrown together fast food restaurants in a NYC fast food place. Some level of money, no taste, or past experience with real quality...its trump's paradise!

by Anonymousreply 243January 12, 2019 12:20 AM

At least once a month I meet a friend for lunch at the Met (Museum) or the Brooklyn Museum. Both are pay-what-you-wish for NYC residents. I like to cook and the absolute best ingredients simply can't be found elsewhere. Authentic Indian spices at Kalustyan's on Lexington, the best duck confit I've ever had at Dickson's at the Chelsea Market. Art house film you're not going to see anywhere else. Just sitting in Washington Square Park and watching the NYU kids do their mating rituals. Then, there's all the surviving friends I have from living here since the late 70s. I'm lucky. I have friends who have moved away and I'm welcome to visit whenever I want but I'm always more than happy to turn the key to my home. I go to the beach one day; I go to Times Square and have coffee with my friend who lives there and we sit and watch the tourists the next. I can't imagine living anywhere else. I think were I young, I may try other places but I'm not at all convinced I wouldn't end up here again.

by Anonymousreply 244August 5, 2019 11:23 AM

Other cities have authentic Indian grocers, R244.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245August 5, 2019 11:30 AM

If all the tourists stayed away from NYC and the city lost all of that income, it would collapse. Taxes would kill . Yes, the sidewalks would be clear, so there will be room for New Yorkers to assemble their new cardboard homes.

by Anonymousreply 246August 5, 2019 12:02 PM

But, but... this wasn't shown on Friends.

by Anonymousreply 247August 5, 2019 12:22 PM

R29, oh look, some ditzy, dumb, 20-something white sluts spreading herpes around the city...

by Anonymousreply 248August 5, 2019 12:25 PM

New Yorkers are perenially pissed. Very true.

by Anonymousreply 249August 5, 2019 2:19 PM

The question is of NYC is still where the most creative and talented live to give it that buzz. It may not be what it used to be but maybe it's the best the world has tight now.

by Anonymousreply 250August 5, 2019 9:45 PM

"most creative and talented. " Broadway? Fox News? Andy Cohen? The Trumps?

by Anonymousreply 251August 5, 2019 10:09 PM

The OPs piece is the sort of sophomoric nonsense that someone having a bad day has published once every few months since the invention of the printing press. Could also be called "10 Cliché Reasons People Dislike Living In NYC" or similar. Nothing she says is untrue, it's just more like "yes, but you should know that going in." (I was born here so I guess I don't know any better.)

The piece at R242, while a few months old, is actually very interesting.

Living in NYC on next to no money must get old in a hurry. If I were in a career where I knew I'd never make a lot of money I'd move to a smaller city somewhere where my quality of life would be much better.

New York is increasingly becoming a city for the "haves" and that's made it less interesting.

by Anonymousreply 252August 5, 2019 10:32 PM

NYC - Saw it a couple of times from the air when I changed planes. That's as much as I want to see.

by Anonymousreply 253August 5, 2019 10:38 PM

This thread is killing my soul so here is a nice time when NYC was nice in the movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254August 5, 2019 10:40 PM

Do you ever do this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255August 5, 2019 10:42 PM

New York City in 1988! It was even more of a violent dump then!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256August 5, 2019 10:43 PM

At least they have gay pride parades. I mean how many cities have them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257August 5, 2019 10:55 PM

Young New Yorkers don't know shit about the real New York City - dirty, sleezy, filled with reprobates; but exciting and creative, with colorful characters and places that defined a generation. Now, it's Disney with milquetoast whiners who know nothing about surviving in unpredictable times, which made each of the residents stronger.

by Anonymousreply 258August 5, 2019 10:58 PM

Colorful characters is right.

There is something interesting about the dirtiness but I would rather have it be as pristine as Toronto, ya know? Why not keep it clean.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259August 5, 2019 11:03 PM

Thanks for the article, r242. As usual with the NY Times, the reader comments tell the real story and are more informative than the actual article.

by Anonymousreply 260August 5, 2019 11:39 PM

Cities are the great engines of liberal society, traditionally because of the social opportunity and intellectual mixing they can encourage. As this article mentions, due to the exorbitant cost of living in our large cities there is no real opportunity for the immigration to occur that supports this culture-creation function. Most of our large cities have become homogenous developments devoted to white collar office life served by an underclass that will never be socialized into the upper echelons due to lack of access to meaningful employment or expensive education systems. As a result, the culture of cities has been degraded into a sort of un-walled gated community that is really not a cultural improvement on the suburbs. Economic segregation is a losing proposition for cities and for liberal society.

by Anonymousreply 261August 5, 2019 11:59 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 262June 6, 2020 6:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!