Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The OA on Netflix

Has anyone seen this? Its weird as fuck but very good

by Anonymousreply 181December 12, 2018 11:18 PM

OP, I'm on the second episode right now. So far, I love it.

Brit Marling caught my eye as an up and comer to watch, when I first saw her in "The East". She seems like a pretty talented actress and she co-created "The OA".

by Anonymousreply 1December 17, 2016 8:19 PM

Is there full frontal male nudity?

by Anonymousreply 2December 17, 2016 8:22 PM

I've only seen the first episode, but I'm already into it. I want to see where this goes. One thing I think Netflix is doing right is casting actors who look like everyday people, not gorgeous models or incredibly handsome hunks. It brings a believability factor to the sci-fi and/or other worldly aspects of their shows, like Stranger Things did. I hope they continue this trend.

by Anonymousreply 3December 17, 2016 8:26 PM

I started watching it and got a bed feeling it would be a waste of time so I checked the NYTimes review. PANNED it in every way.

by Anonymousreply 4December 17, 2016 8:49 PM

R3, Brit Marling is absolutely beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 5December 17, 2016 9:29 PM

She's pretty, but I would not say absolutely beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 6December 17, 2016 10:35 PM

Brit Marling is a very interesting talent. She writes and directs and she is very good looking. I will be checking this out later.

by Anonymousreply 7December 17, 2016 10:54 PM

Saw the first episode and I am hooked.

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2016 1:04 AM

Just finished the first episode. Looks promising!

by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2016 1:17 AM

R4... every person who has watched it has recommended it to me. I wouldn't put too much stock in the NYT review.

by Anonymousreply 10December 18, 2016 1:21 AM

Blond curly haired dude having sex in the first episode was plenty hot. Nice ass, ripped bod... if that's what you wanted to know, R2. No full frontal though.

by Anonymousreply 11December 18, 2016 1:48 AM

The split between episode 1 and episode 2 seems pretty arbitrary. It's right in the middle of a scene. Think of the first two episodes as a single entity, a 2 hour movie.

by Anonymousreply 12December 18, 2016 2:58 AM

Whoa. Was not expecting that ending. And what an ending.

by Anonymousreply 13December 18, 2016 3:34 AM

R10, you're probably right. After all, what would a professional journalist, critic and writer at the New York Times know compared to your friends?

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2016 3:56 AM

R4 - the NYTimes review/professional journalist, critic and writer (and all the rest of the horseshit in your post R10) is incorrect in this case.

I'm on episode 6 and it is absolutely captivating. Beautifully made, well-acted and definitely worth watching. I'd never even heard of this series. It seems to have come out of nowhere with no marketing at all.

by Anonymousreply 15December 18, 2016 4:02 AM

Every other day, Netflix seems to roll out a new series (some which they are purchasing from other countries, like Australia,, Brazil, lots from England, etc) . They are starting to make HBO look very slow.

I just saw this series but didn't watch it because it got 4 stars only but after the raves here, will give it a try.

by Anonymousreply 16December 18, 2016 4:07 AM

RIz Ahmed from "Night Of" makes an appearance.

by Anonymousreply 17December 18, 2016 4:53 AM

I just watched the first two episodes and it's good but not captivating to me like Sens8 or Stranger Things. I'm interested, but it could go either way for me depending on how it goes from here.

I'll watch more tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 18December 18, 2016 4:58 AM

Dance! dance, dance, Dance!

by Anonymousreply 19December 18, 2016 5:03 AM

Hmmm...I just read the NYT review and am debating whether to sink another hour into this.

by Anonymousreply 20December 18, 2016 5:18 AM

Agree R16, but I still can't find much to watch. If it was more than 7.99 a month, I'd skip it unless something I enjoy was being released (I was very pleased with them carrying Wentworth, which is ever so much better than Orange is the New Black)

by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2016 5:26 AM

Just finished it and like R13 says - absolutely wasn't expecting that ending but what an ending! Wow!

I've really enjoyed it. The acting was superb, the tension palpable, the story was eclectic, raw, rolling and engrossing.

You dead-eyed cunt faces who are debating whether to sink another hour into watching it based on someone else's review because you haven't got enough intelligence to make up your own minds? Just don't bother. Instead - watch some more Two and a Half Men. Much more your level/intellect...

by Anonymousreply 22December 18, 2016 7:13 AM

R22, my mouth was literally hanging open in the last scene when it all came together. Incredible build-up.

by Anonymousreply 23December 18, 2016 7:33 AM

Patrick Gibson is Steve... the hottie bad boy. He's going places.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 19, 2016 1:43 AM

How is Riz? He's mainly the reason I'm interested. I like Britt Marling, but I've heard mixed things about this show.

by Anonymousreply 25December 19, 2016 1:48 AM

I will watch it for Riz.

by Anonymousreply 26December 19, 2016 2:03 AM

Incredible. Ending was great. Definitely worth a binge -- in fact, I can't imagine watching it any other way.

by Anonymousreply 27December 19, 2016 3:26 AM

Love Brit Marling. I think she got pushed off the scene as an intellectual, indie writer/actor by Lena Dunham.

by Anonymousreply 28December 19, 2016 4:09 PM

Will there be a season 2?

by Anonymousreply 29December 19, 2016 9:48 PM

Patrick Gibson is very cute and very good at playing a misunderstood bully. In fact the whole cast is good except I do not like the actor playing Homer. I do not find him appealing at all he was in Brooklyn which I found boring and overrated. He is very lumpy and unappealing. He is one of those actors that just shows up on the scene once in awhile and for some strange reason gets shoved down our throats.

by Anonymousreply 30December 19, 2016 10:09 PM

I didn't like Homer at first but he's growing on me (I'm only just starting episode 6 now)

by Anonymousreply 31December 20, 2016 4:12 AM

I don't want spoilers in this thread (maybe we should start another thread for that? So we can discuss details?) but I just finished, and wow. The ending was kind of a gut-punch wasn't it?

Not exactly sure how you do a season 2 to this show though.

by Anonymousreply 32December 20, 2016 6:21 AM

Riz has a relatively small but critical part. Kind of a side character. He's good -- everyone is good in this -- but he's not central to the story really. A supporting character.

Brandon Perea, who played "French", the kid with glasses that was college bound, was really hot. Too bad HE was never shirtless.

It's no "Stranger Things"... it's more subtle and low-key than that, a slower build and burn, but thought I was iffy at some points during the show, by the end -- because of the end -- I'm sold. Definitely recommend.

by Anonymousreply 33December 20, 2016 6:27 AM

Agreed R32. Not sure how a second season could be done. The story is sort of all told isn't it.

by Anonymousreply 34December 20, 2016 8:21 AM

Boring, slow moving and silly.

by Anonymousreply 35December 20, 2016 9:53 AM

R35 has A.D.D.

It could be perceived as silly if you watch it as a cynic, and don't give into it, watching it in the moment.

I really enjoyed it. I found it interesting and thoughtful and emotional. All these broken people connecting, or trying to...

by Anonymousreply 36December 20, 2016 4:22 PM

No, r36. I don't like pretentious shit that passes itself off as entertainment. It was extremely slow moving and trite.

by Anonymousreply 37December 20, 2016 4:41 PM

(Rolling eyes) Whatever. Not enough car-chases for you I guess. Go back to your Michael Bay movies then.

by Anonymousreply 38December 20, 2016 4:43 PM

Was your sister the writer, R38? Did I insult a family member? It's okay to have different opinions without resorting to childishness. I liked both versions of The Following much better, which this movie tried very hard to be but failed. How many car chases were in The Following? Oh, that's right...none.

by Anonymousreply 39December 20, 2016 4:48 PM

This...movie, R39?

Yeah -- you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 40December 20, 2016 10:41 PM

Awwww, r40 is all butt hurt cause somebody didn't like The OA. I also liked The OA better when it was called K-Pax and starred Kevin Spacey.

by Anonymousreply 41December 20, 2016 10:47 PM

It had so little in common with K-Pax, R41, you're just proving that YOU are the idiot in this conversation. Again and again.

by Anonymousreply 42December 20, 2016 10:48 PM

Awwww, poor R42. Sorry you are getting unhinged iver a Netflix show. I didn't like it. Get over it..

by Anonymousreply 43December 20, 2016 10:51 PM

Dude. I'm not R40 for your information, and I'm not the one unhinged. Listen to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 44December 20, 2016 10:58 PM

Seriously, r44, calling someone an idiot hardly gives you the high ground here.

by Anonymousreply 45December 20, 2016 11:07 PM

I only watched this because I was curious if I'd be among those who loved it or hated it (there doesn't seem to be much in between) and ended up really loving it. In fact, I binged through the whole thing faster than most shows that have gotten universal raves.

by Anonymousreply 46December 21, 2016 1:00 AM

I liked "Stranger Things" more, but this was very easy to binge, as R46 said. Totally worth watching, entertaining, interesting, good acting, relatively original... I had no idea it was coming, just heard about it from someone on my facebook feed raving about it. I wouldn't RAVE, but I did really like it.

by Anonymousreply 47December 21, 2016 2:19 AM

Hated Stranger Things. Loved this.

by Anonymousreply 48December 21, 2016 2:24 AM

Complete borefest that hipsters mistake as being deep. It hits on every trope ever created.

by Anonymousreply 49December 21, 2016 2:25 AM

Loved it. I wish I'd spaced it,out for a little longer, but it was worth the binge. Love Philys from the Office. The acting all around was stellar.

Loved all the purple....

by Anonymousreply 50December 21, 2016 3:05 AM

R49, perhaps Keeping up with the Kardashians is more your speed.

by Anonymousreply 51December 21, 2016 5:16 AM

Girls, girls, you're [italic]all[/italic] pretty.

by Anonymousreply 52December 21, 2016 5:22 AM

So, what is it? Aliens? Culty stuff like The Leftovers? The first hour was 'meh.' set up and mystery. I don't need another ten hours of "Why? How could this happen?" and drawn-out explanations. Sorry, I watch a lot of great and odd shows, but I'm feeling, 'Oh, not this shit again.'

by Anonymousreply 53December 21, 2016 5:41 AM

You sound like a [bold]REAL[/bold] cunt R39.

Thanks for ruining the thread.

by Anonymousreply 54December 21, 2016 6:03 AM

R53, it's not 10 hours, it's a total of 8 hours so if you watched hour 1, you only have 7 left. And you really need to watch the first 2 hours as a unit... it's one episode split in two (episode 2 picks up immediately after episode 1).

It's not aliens, and not like "Leftovers".

by Anonymousreply 55December 21, 2016 12:16 PM

R54 you might want to blame R36 for derailing the thread. She keeps bullying posters who don't like the show. Then again I guess that should be expected from somebody who make up about 25% of all the posts.

R53 you didn't miss much at all. Be thankful you stopped when you did. At least you didnt have hours of your life stolen by shitty film making and lazy writing.

by Anonymousreply 56December 21, 2016 1:58 PM

And you keep bullying posters who do like the show r56.

Just how big is that stick in your eye?

by Anonymousreply 57December 21, 2016 2:12 PM

No, R57, I bully posters who bully me first. Big difference. R36 reacted negatively to me personally about a comment I made about the show. Do you not understand the difference?

by Anonymousreply 58December 21, 2016 2:15 PM

The sticks in my eye and ass are fine r58. Thanks for asking!

And your inability to let go of such a trivial obsession is one of the things your "friends" discuss all of the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 21, 2016 2:19 PM

Being bullied and fighting back is not a trivial obsession. However, bullying people over a Netflix show is not only a trivial obsession, it's a bit sociopathic. You might want to read up on that Xanax link youself. Sounds like you are off your meds and need something.

by Anonymousreply 60December 21, 2016 2:30 PM

Haven't seen the show. Haven't argued about it.

by Anonymousreply 61December 21, 2016 2:31 PM

Rrrriiiighhhht, R61. You look for theads about things you haven't seen only to pick fights? Talk about insufferable...and sociopathic too!

by Anonymousreply 62December 21, 2016 2:33 PM

I haven't read the rest of these comments, in case there are spoilers. However, if you watched "The East", and enjoyed it, you will enjoy this. Brit Marling is a unique talent. I love her stuff, and I hope we see more of her work as a writer, director, producer, and actress.

Love , love, love her.

by Anonymousreply 63December 21, 2016 3:42 PM

r63 said exactly what I would say.

by Anonymousreply 64December 21, 2016 3:59 PM

GODDAMN, LET IT GO ASSHOLE. JESUS.

by Anonymousreply 65December 22, 2016 2:43 AM

Wow, the penultimate scene was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 66December 22, 2016 5:12 AM

Brit Marling seems like a very strange person. The only time I liked her was in that Michael Pitt movie, I Origins but even then, she didn't shine like the other actress.

This series is very touch and go. It has some good moments but mostly very amateurish writing, some scenes make you wonder- What the heck is that about? This series should have been edited into a 2 hours movie. Marling wrote it so no wonder it is meandering and strange.

by Anonymousreply 67December 22, 2016 5:32 AM

Nice nude scenes (naked ass shots) of Patrick Gibson in the first episode.

I watched the whole series within the last two days. What the fuck did I see? Hautingly beautifuly at times (like the whole interpretive dance with those five moves) but the finale is some big WTF.

by Anonymousreply 68December 22, 2016 6:09 PM

I'm surprised that no one, not one person here, was even the tiniest bit offended by the finale of the school shooting, which had no lead in whatsoever, the shooter's face was never shown, the shooter had never been introduced, and the shooting was used as a random plot point so they could finally do their interpretive dance. I mean, really? Yes, it was shot in a shocking way, but using one of THE most horrible things that happens virtually every month now as the motivation for a Netflix binge show light on intellectual content was shockingly cynical and grotesque to me, not to mention completely unearned dramatically in any way shape or form.

I watched the entire season and did find it interesting in places, but that finale, no. Unacceptable. Several reviewers REALLY hated this show. A LOT. Alan Sepinwall despised it and absolutely tore into the finale, along with several other print and online publications.

It's bizarre to me that it's receiving universal praise here.

by Anonymousreply 69December 27, 2016 3:01 AM

Whatever. You didn't get it.

by Anonymousreply 70December 27, 2016 3:32 AM

Whatever R70. Blocked.

by Anonymousreply 71December 27, 2016 4:02 AM

Wow, what a hot-house flower. (rolling eyes)

by Anonymousreply 72December 27, 2016 4:12 AM

I'm not R70, but what a delicate little kaween you are R71.

I burst out laughing when I saw your tantrum, so thanks for the laugh I guess.

by Anonymousreply 73December 27, 2016 4:18 AM

Liked parts of it but the dance thing was silly.

by Anonymousreply 74December 27, 2016 4:25 AM

The whole thing was silly.

by Anonymousreply 75December 27, 2016 4:28 AM

Thanks, R69 and R75; you saved me several hours.

by Anonymousreply 76December 27, 2016 4:53 AM

This series was a complete waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 77December 27, 2016 6:39 AM

So tired of the shills here so desperate to protect their little projects from any hint of criticism, which for this extremely flawed show is very valid.

Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 78December 27, 2016 1:39 PM

I hated Breaking Bad. I binge-watched the entire show just to try to figure out what people saw in it. I thought it was boring and predictable, especially the last season.

But I loved OA.

Diff'rent strokes, gentlemen.

by Anonymousreply 79December 27, 2016 1:56 PM

Part of what made me love the show is how ridiculous it is at times... but it's earnest in it. This is not a show you'd expect to ever get made. And it's well done parts simply outweigh the silliness. Just let yourself flow with it. Ride the ride. It's enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 80December 27, 2016 7:30 PM

Seriously, R80, you and one other poster, who posts in tandem with you, make up about 1/3, EACH, of all the posts on this thread. You also bully anyone who has anything remotely negative to say about this show. So I ask you again, are you a producer? Brit? Do you have family who worked on the show?

by Anonymousreply 81December 27, 2016 7:52 PM

I really enjoyed this series up until the final episode. I think I'm a bit dense for it's meaning though.

SPOILER QUESTIONS BELOW:

DON'T READ BELOW IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED

FINAL WARNING

What was Riz doing in her house when he ran into Alfonso and asked if he broke in? Did she really make it all up and really was mentally ill? Did she die at the end? Hey, I warned you I 'm dense.

by Anonymousreply 82December 28, 2016 12:52 AM

R82 It is intentionally ambiguous. Brit Marling's work is often ended on notes like these. It's up to you -- there is evidence to support both that she made it all up or she was mostly telling the truth. I think she was making it up.

by Anonymousreply 83December 28, 2016 12:57 AM

R81, your characterization of me is completely unwarranted and inaccurate, and I'm not in any way, shape, or form involved with the production of this show.

by Anonymousreply 84December 28, 2016 2:40 AM

Then stop being fucking rude to everyone, R84. It makes your bullying sociopathic.

by Anonymousreply 85December 28, 2016 2:46 AM

I'm not being rude to anyone, R85. Maybe you're just reading into things what isn't put there by me. Maybe I'm not the bullying sociopath here.

by Anonymousreply 86December 28, 2016 2:47 AM

Just block him R85. Much better than dealing with his psychotic hysteria.

by Anonymousreply 87December 28, 2016 2:50 AM

Really, R86...calling people idiots, telling them they have ADD etc. wow, you really must be a sociopath if you think your name calling is okay,

by Anonymousreply 88December 28, 2016 2:52 AM

Gave into it, and enjoyed it. Never seen anything quite like it, and I often enjoy projects that take risks like this.

by Anonymousreply 89December 28, 2016 6:56 AM

I liked it. I didn't love it, but I liked it. The ambiguous ending was a bit cliche. I'm tired of those types of endings. I think by doing that, though, they could have a second season because who knows what the hell it all meant? A second season could come up with some explanation, or just more ambiguity so we won't know what's really going on.

by Anonymousreply 90December 28, 2016 5:13 PM

Patrick Gibson is HAF!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 29, 2016 7:18 AM

Durning the final climactic scene when they were doing their silly interpretive dance thing, all I could think of was how embarrassed I felt for the actors who actually had to first learn the dumb choreography and then perform it in front of the film crew. Especially considering how awful that scene was.

by Anonymousreply 92December 29, 2016 7:41 AM

I didn't even know Patrick Gibson is Irish. Watch out for this rising star!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 29, 2016 12:02 PM

I agree R92. Interpretive dance is always risible in every situation.

by Anonymousreply 94December 29, 2016 1:53 PM

The first episode was amazing. Mesmerizing and I loved how they waited to officially open the series with the second half.

by Anonymousreply 95December 29, 2016 2:21 PM

Spoiler Alert: I agree that interpretive dance is not everyone's cup of tea, but in one of the episodes wherein Prairie and Homer are dancing as a duo (before the others join) and bring the guy back to life I found the intensity and earnestness of their efforts a hugely moving scene. They are tearful and completely focused on saving the guy. That's acting. And Homer is hot. A little doughy, but he's hot.

R69, way to go with spoiling the last ep for anyone who hasn't yet seen it. Atta girl!

by Anonymousreply 96December 29, 2016 3:13 PM

Marling's character gets shot in the chest in a school mass shooting. The ending leaves her death hanging and open to a second season.

by Anonymousreply 97December 29, 2016 3:49 PM

SPOILERS IN MY POST IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED ALL 8 EPS...

This seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it show with most people. I'm leaning toward hate -- even though I can, somewhat objectively, appreciate some of the good, if not great, performances and the sometimes very good production design. I think those elements kept me watching despite my misgivings. That and their willingness to try something new and, yes, bold. A for effort, I guess. I think there was a good -- perhaps a coherent -- show in there somewhere, but they lost the plot less than half way through. They seem more beholden to this ridiculous mythology than they do to real character development, remotely believable dramatic tension or even narrative coherency.

Lord, what a bunch of pseudo-intellectual, pseudo-spiritual hooey. The interpretive dance alone is just so ridiculous. And, I really hope that Prairie really did make up all this shit just as a coping mechanism for a more conventional kidnapping, because if not, the narrative is filled with giant, inexplicable holes. The writing feels... improvised. Like something they wrote at 3am at Canter's high out of their minds. "YOU JUST DON'T GET IT, MAAAAN"

by Anonymousreply 98December 29, 2016 9:42 PM

R98 GETS IT.

by Anonymousreply 99December 30, 2016 3:53 AM

We're watching the last episode right now. I'm waiting until it's over to read r98's post.

by Anonymousreply 100December 30, 2016 3:55 AM

It's the type of show that hipsters mistake for being deep.

by Anonymousreply 101December 30, 2016 4:05 AM

What's good on tv these days? Take away mindless crap like reality shows and bad sitcoms and you're left with shows like Westworld, Game of Thrones and The OA. I mean, at least these folks TRY. The OA may not be the most elegant writing or have the most profound plot but it's different.

by Anonymousreply 102December 30, 2016 5:28 AM

R102, and it's *interesting* and *entertaining*, even with its flaws.

by Anonymousreply 103December 30, 2016 5:47 AM

The premise is similar to K-Pax -- except with K-Pax you don't have to schlep through 8 hours of terrible writing, major plot holes, silly interpretive dance routines and an ending done purely for shock value.

by Anonymousreply 104December 30, 2016 6:10 AM

We get it, R104. You didn't like it. Thanks for repeating that over and over.

by Anonymousreply 105December 30, 2016 6:11 AM

I didn't realize that only you were allowed to voice your opinion repeatedly, R105. We get it. You must work on the show.

by Anonymousreply 106December 30, 2016 6:16 AM

Brit Marling is a cheap gimmick-maker.

by Anonymousreply 107December 30, 2016 6:40 AM

Because only people who worked on the show are allowed to not hate it, R106? Seriously? What are you, 12?

by Anonymousreply 108December 30, 2016 6:55 AM

With Brit Marling, there's never any "there" there.

by Anonymousreply 109December 30, 2016 7:12 AM

No, r108 not at all but your absolute need to comment on EVERY negative post does leave one to wonder what your motives are.

by Anonymousreply 110December 30, 2016 7:27 AM

Oh, and, r108, with all the name calling you've done on this thread...the last thing YOU should do is to accuse people of being 12. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 111December 30, 2016 7:39 AM

If you watched this and didn't laugh (or roll your eyes), I guess I just have to say...

... I admire your childlike wonder?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112December 30, 2016 8:12 AM

I think Brit Marling has some interesting ideas, but don't feel she's a particularly gifted or interesting actress. The show would have been better served if it had been anchored by someone who could actually make you believe what was happening. I never get that with her. She needs to choose acting or behind the camera work and focus on one. Jack of all trades, master of none.

by Anonymousreply 113December 30, 2016 2:53 PM

Oh, and btw, the real revelation of this show was Phyllis Smith, who was fucking amazing! She made everything believable, even that stupid dance. If they'd had someone at that level playing Brit's role, the show would have been substantially better. I thought the little tranny was quite good too. Emory Cohen was terrific in Brooklyn, but was laboring to make this believable. I don't blame him, any actor would be severely taxed to make sense of what was happening for the viewer.

by Anonymousreply 114December 30, 2016 2:57 PM

Emory Cohen looked hot in her boxer briefs. Nice bulge.

by Anonymousreply 115December 31, 2016 5:09 PM

[quote]Oh, and btw, the real revelation of this show was Phyllis Smith, who was fucking amazing! She made everything believable, except for that stupid dance, which was so indescribably idiotic that no one on the planet could have saved it.

Fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 116December 31, 2016 8:43 PM

Did Brit Marling piss on R104's Cheerios? Your obsession with this show is...odd.

by Anonymousreply 117December 31, 2016 10:40 PM

If you thought Brit Marling was pretty hot (as I do), this show might have gone down a little easier...

[Pun intended.]

by Anonymousreply 118December 31, 2016 10:51 PM

I found the show interesting and different. Alice Krige still has great hair.

by Anonymousreply 119December 31, 2016 11:01 PM

No, r117, why does it bother you so much that I and others here didn't like it and thought it was silly? You come on here to name call others. Why?

by Anonymousreply 120December 31, 2016 11:49 PM

R120, you assume there's only one person that liked the show. And you also ignore all the name-calling going on with the people who are trashing the show (and everyone who watched it and didn't hate it as much as they did).

What's your agenda?

by Anonymousreply 121January 1, 2017 3:15 AM

R121, I make no such assumptions nor have I said as much. I also have not bullied or name called any other poster on this thread -- unlike you. I have absolutely no idea why anytime someone posts a negative opinion on the show, you feel the need to attack the person. What's YOUR agenda? It's very sociopathic behavior to bully and name call someone who doesn't share your opinion. It's very "Trumpian" of you.

I didn't like the show. I thought it was derivative, cliche, silly and a rework of a better movie. I thought the interpretive dance scenes were dumb. GET.OVER.IT

by Anonymousreply 122January 1, 2017 4:32 AM

R120...I quite literally never called you a name. Perhaps you are confused. I find your obsession with this show, and the perceived slights from others toward you....odd, as I said.

I can only imagine that either Brit Marling caused you grievous mental or bodily harm...or you're just not too bright.

by Anonymousreply 123January 1, 2017 5:20 PM

I take it, R123, that you unfamiliar with the ignore feature. Does calling a random poster a delicate Kaween not count as name calling? Or telling someone that the Kardashians are more their speed simply because they commented they didn't like the show? In fact the only posts you have here are personal attacks.

So again. ? Are you some sociopath who gets kicks out of bullying random people, do you work for the show or are you a fangurl? Because your obsession with attacking posters is beyond weird.

As I said earlier...

I didn't like the show. I thought it was derivative, cliche, silly and a rework of a better movie. I thought the interpretive dance scenes were dumb. GET.OVER.IT

by Anonymousreply 124January 1, 2017 6:28 PM

Ha! I completely forgot about that and didn't even think it was you. Again...odd that you are so unhinged and delicate that you feel the need to block and then what...unblock...or go through the posts several days later to relive the experience?

What a strange individual you are.

In addition to being very odd and strange you ARE a butthurt and delicate kaween (I was right the first time it seems!). Your obsession with this show is bizarre, as is your response to people in this thread. Did Brit Marling kick your dog? Was she mean to you in school? You seem the type who is so easily butthurt she may have done something truly terrible, like cut in front of you in line at the cupcake shop (because I just know you go to cupcake shops regularly-probably to soothe your always hurt feelings).

What an amusing fellow you are R124.

by Anonymousreply 125January 2, 2017 12:33 AM

It was actually ok until the end... the last episode ruined it. I rewatched the first one to see if I could see any clues about the books and the veracity of the story... but it's boring on a re-watch. They also spend too much time in the basement in those glass things, but maybe that's the point? It started to get boring / clausterphobic. She should've written in more scenes of the "other side" or other powers to get them out of the glass box -but maybe it was out of the budget.

by Anonymousreply 126January 2, 2017 1:01 AM

I could only watch the interpretive dance shit if i told myself it was like tai chi. The tranny was distracting

by Anonymousreply 127January 2, 2017 1:17 AM

R125, me...amusing? First you lie about calling others names and get busted. Then you act like ublocking and unblocking you, ONCE, is strange for DL...newsflash: it isn't. Anyone who's been on DL remembers the trolldar days and knows the ignore feature functions similarly. If you actually know DL and how ignore works, then you would see that I am not the person you called a delicate kaween. You would also know that I am not the person who received your Kardashian comment. I am the poster you made the cheerios comment to.

So again, in your eyes, I'm the amusing one when you were just busted for being an asshole to a few people who simply made a comment that they didn't like the show. Yoh have some serious mental issues that you should seek help for. It's more apparent with each of your posts. Either that, or you're an anonymous bully to make up for, shall we say, a certain inadequacy.

by Anonymousreply 128January 2, 2017 2:57 AM

GIRLS, GIRLS, you're both...terrible.

by Anonymousreply 129January 2, 2017 3:03 AM

R126, it's spelled claustrophobic.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 130January 2, 2017 3:18 AM

I liked it a lot. Imaginative and exploratory.

by Anonymousreply 131January 7, 2017 11:34 PM

Ladies, please. You're BOTH insufferable. And unattractive. And please don't squeeze the Charmin.

by Anonymousreply 132January 8, 2017 4:10 AM

I loved it. It touched on probably too many prescient themes but did it in a really subtle way. The school-shooting dance was a but maudlin but I just went with it and loved it. Will there be a OA part 2?

by Anonymousreply 133January 8, 2017 2:36 PM

This show wants to be great and intelligent so badly but it really just isn't. I can see why many respected critics are bashing it.

So much time being spent in those elaborate but silly cages accomplishing nothing really derailed the story. The little subplot of her trying to poison him and then he is deathly allergic to tomatoes was terrible. And that last episode. I'm sorry, but this random school shooter appearing out of nowhere and then our 5 people doing their dance in the middle of the cafeteria while he is shooting at students.

WHY?!?! First I found this mysterious shooter who doesn't get a face a silly device. And two what are they doing? Trying to make themselves an easy target to shoot? All we know about the movements is they can heal people and they can open portals, so their motivation for doing such a thing is stupid. I was darkly half-hoping the shooter would cap all their asses while dancing lol.

There were certainly aspects that I liked, but after watching the first two episodes I was really hoping this show would be great than it was. Oh well.

Is the guy that plays Homer (Emory Cohen) gay? I got some vibes. Also he is not a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 134January 8, 2017 2:41 PM

[quote]a misunderstood bully

He sent his giant dog to savagely maul a woman because she annoyed him, potentially killing her.

He striked an innocent guy hard in the throat, which is a dangerous move that could potentially kill him.

Let's be real, Steve displays a lot of real indicators of classic sociopathy. I was surprised by how much they committed to that.

by Anonymousreply 135January 8, 2017 2:53 PM

It may have been short of great, but I give it major kudos for trying.

by Anonymousreply 136January 8, 2017 3:57 PM

R135, yeah, sure, but it was interesting that they showed such a pathologically awful person could have hope for redemption.

by Anonymousreply 137January 8, 2017 6:42 PM

Agreed with R136. If it was a failure, it was a noble one, and I'd like to encourage more such attempts. I enjoyed it personally though I too had my issues with it.

by Anonymousreply 138January 8, 2017 8:36 PM

That is true r136, no one can deny the show was bold, unique and creative. I do commend that type of spirit.

I just feel it suffers from "Lost" syndrome. A lot of style over substance, easier to create mysteries than actually explain them well.

by Anonymousreply 139January 9, 2017 5:36 PM

[quote]easier to create mysteries than actually explain them well.

THIS ^^^

by Anonymousreply 140January 9, 2017 5:40 PM

The only mystery to me is where is if she was actually lying or not??

by Anonymousreply 141January 9, 2017 10:18 PM

The only mystery to me was if the school shooter stopped because he found the interpretative dance routine ridiculous or amusing.

by Anonymousreply 142January 9, 2017 10:26 PM

He was mesmerized.

by Anonymousreply 143January 9, 2017 10:28 PM

My bad, r143. I didn't realize the school shooter was a patron of the arts.

by Anonymousreply 144January 9, 2017 10:34 PM

It's audacious but implausible. Better than "The Leftovers." Probably as good as "Stranger Things" which was by no means a gold standard. Definitely watchable and entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 145January 10, 2017 2:17 AM

[quote]The only mystery to me is where is if she was actually lying or not??

From the basics of storytelling there is no real plot if she just made it all up. That's obviously a red herring.

From a within-show stance, she was blind, now she is no longer blind. Something freaky obviously happened.

by Anonymousreply 146January 10, 2017 2:21 AM

Unless she suffered from hysterical blindness from her trauma as a child, R146. Then nothing freaky had to happen in the mystical sense and it would explain the lazy writing.

Even the reveal of the meaning of OA was cringe worthy.

by Anonymousreply 147January 10, 2017 2:29 AM

It's a waste of time. If they promise free dinner to every viewer next year, I still wouldn't watch. It's so bad I hope it's cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 148January 10, 2017 2:42 AM

I avoided this thread until I watched the last episode today. Now reading it all together there's a totally unhinged troll on here who is so determined to dog it that it's kinda weird and creepy. It wasn't the most amazing TV show I ever saw but I give it points for not being a remake or sequel and was somewhat original. But the queen who's so personal offended that not everyone hates it like she does, it's just creepy. I gather from reading this thread Brit beat the troll out for a job or get a better parking place.

You don't like it, don't watch it. Easy.

by Anonymousreply 149January 10, 2017 3:04 AM

There's more than one of us "queens" on this thread who didn't like it, r149. If negative comments make you all butt hurt, then I suggest you use 1the ignore feature. But your personal attack on those who didn't like it is even weirder than those you are denigrating.

by Anonymousreply 150January 10, 2017 3:16 AM

Agree with r114 that Phyllis was the best part of the cast, she fit into this role great.

Also I am the poster at r134 that was raging about the ending.

Now that I have had more time to think about it, it seems an easy fix.

Why not have a shooter that shoots some student and OA before being tackled, you can still have OA being taken away. And then the characters start doing the movements over the body of the injured student?

I mean the one thing they were told in the story is that the movements can heal. Plus you wouldn't get that absurd awkwardness of them doing the movements to a gun man which was a climax that took a lot of people out of the story.

by Anonymousreply 151January 10, 2017 3:42 AM

Because, r151, if they actually healed someone with the interpretative dance routine then that would mean she was tellling the truth and is not some person who conjured up a story to cope with what really happened to her. Healing would give resolution.

by Anonymousreply 152January 10, 2017 3:49 AM

I should add that not healing the person would also give resolution. Either way doing the interpretative dance routine would have to yield some result that would resolve her story.

by Anonymousreply 153January 10, 2017 3:51 AM

Did anyone notice that every time the fifth movement is done, someone gets shot?

by Anonymousreply 154January 10, 2017 3:54 AM

Yeah but you could end it without showing a resolution, just that they *started* doing it. I mean that is the point right, that the characters starting dancing showing that they chose to believe it.

You can just fade to black, you can have them get interrupted. I recognize I am spitballing.

I just felt that was a climax that really let the show down. If you look at Alan Sepinwall, and the reviewers for the NYTimes and the reviewer for the Hollywood Reporter that they were all quite unhappy with how it ended. I felt the same way.

by Anonymousreply 155January 10, 2017 3:56 AM

She's pretty one note on climaxes, R155. The OA is a longer version of her film, The Sound of my Voice. Similar themes (right down to hand gestures and skin markings) and even some recycled dialog. The Sound of My Voice is better because the story was tighter and told over 90 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 156January 10, 2017 4:00 AM

after the resurrection thing occurred I checked out. sorry, an interesting premise, but too much woo-woo hoodoo for me

by Anonymousreply 157January 10, 2017 2:35 PM

Please ban the term butt-hurt. It is so fucking stupid and juvenile.

by Anonymousreply 158January 10, 2017 7:41 PM

So is censorship, R158.

by Anonymousreply 159January 10, 2017 8:02 PM

I kinda felt like there was an episode missing between Buck being late and the parents all showing up and everything that came afterward. If they followed Buck, wouldn’t they have gotten there sooner, before she’d told so much of the end of the story? How did all the parents wind up together?

I was reading some viewer theories on Reddit and people seem to think that (1) this is a tale of dissociative identity disorder [catch Prairie’s adoptive mother opening the Russian dolls before meeting her as a metaphor for that], (2) nothing we saw is what we really saw, that The OA’s story is her own reimagining of Nina’s story, that the edges are facts, but everything in the center is symbolic and (3) whomever the storyteller is is also the shooter, who created or used these alternate split personalities to try to "talk" her/himself out of the killing.

I have no interest in angels. I found the dancing at first ridiculous and then I liked it and then I thought it was ridiculous again. NDEs are an interesting topic and I wish we’d gotten to see more what everyone was experiencing. Why did the caged woman who sang have so little to do in the story? My biggest issue with the series was that all these kids (and the teacher) seemed way too old and jaded to want to spend evenings listening to scary stories in a half built house or believing in magic dances. I could see myself buying into that kind of thing and sneaking out to hear more stories from the crazy lady when I was 8, maybe even to about 11, so I just didn’t buy it. I guess it’s funny that was the least believable part to me.

So much of it was really interesting, though, and I thought the performances were solid to great, across the board. It made me want to see more of their work and to see where this fit into the oeuvre. I had a hard time digging up more of Brit & Batman’s films, but found The East and watched it last night. I was stunned they — anyone — had made a film calling out Fluoroquinolone antibiotics, by name, as the biological weapons they are as early as 2013, presumably written at least a year and a half before release.

by Anonymousreply 160January 11, 2017 9:21 AM

Put me in the category of those that loved the show. I didn't see the movements as dance, but as a sort of tai chi. It wasn't perfect, but I really enjoyed the chances they took and hope for another season.

by Anonymousreply 161January 11, 2017 10:07 AM

The East was excellent too. I didn't see Another Earth. Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 162January 11, 2017 11:27 AM

R154, interesting observation!

by Anonymousreply 163January 11, 2017 1:59 PM

why do you take it so personally if people liked it R159?

by Anonymousreply 164January 12, 2017 2:15 AM

I thought it was interesting that the tai-chi type motions to work "magic" were so similar to the way magic is practiced in the "Magicians" series.

Which, btw, is awesome and if you didn't watch season 1, you should binge it as soon as you can (it's also very gay).

by Anonymousreply 165January 12, 2017 2:26 AM

r162, I downloaded it a couple days ago, but haven't had time to watch it yet.

by Anonymousreply 166January 13, 2017 11:38 AM

OK, I just finished it and I still love it. Either you get it, or you don't. There's no reason to get technical or too intellectual about this.

Brit had some major players in the industry back this project, including Brad Pitt. She's getting backing because she's genuinely talented.

I hope there's a season 2.

by Anonymousreply 167January 16, 2017 10:58 PM

Agree R167. Let's not overthink it. It's good TV/Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 168January 16, 2017 11:38 PM

Yeah, R168. There's no reason to over think it. It's not like we're watching Mad Men. This series is fantasy. Are there some plot holes? Yep. I hope that someone can explain the books under the bed. OA could not have read them herself, since she only read Braille, unless she learned to read English before her accident in Russia.

But whatever. This show is a breath of fresh air. The acting is very good, and I'm enjoying this journey that Prarie takes us on.

Season 2 needs to happen. I am really interested in Brit developing as writer. I think she and her writing partner are fantastic. I hope we have much more from them in years to come.

by Anonymousreply 169January 17, 2017 12:33 AM

The books under the bed we're planted by the FBI agent/therapist. Otherwise what was he doing in the house?

by Anonymousreply 170January 17, 2017 12:58 AM

Good point R170, that makes sense, I also found his (therapist) sudden appearance in a burglary scene odd. The last episode annoyed me for two reasons; one being there is no resolution of the prisoners left in the cave, second being the interpretive dance scene seemed so out of place with the rest of the series.

by Anonymousreply 171January 17, 2017 1:26 AM

R171, I thought the same about the FBI agent. However, how would Prarie know how to read English, unless she learned how to read English pre her NDE as a child in Russia? I'm assuming that pre-NDE, she only spoke/read/wrote Russian? The English was taught through speaking and Braille? Do blind people learn the alphabet as we do? Because she also wrote her parents a note before she ran away, explaining that she had ventured off in search of her true father.

I'd like a his question answered, if anyone knows.

Either way, the FBI agent is working counter-intel in regards to Prarie. Who he works for is up for grabs.

by Anonymousreply 172January 17, 2017 4:34 PM

Brit Marling said that she knows how Season 2 would begin and end but I don't think it's got a green light yet.

by Anonymousreply 173January 18, 2017 3:45 AM

She seems unwell. Anorexia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174January 18, 2017 4:04 AM

She’s aging strangely from Sound of My Voice to this, all of her features seem to be getting longer. Jason Isaacs picks some interesting projects. I loved his show Awake that got canned after just one season. I wonder how much credit for all the hidden “clues” goes to the huge editorial department on the show and how much was in the original scripts.

by Anonymousreply 175January 21, 2017 11:49 AM

[bold]Netflix’s ‘The OA’ Renewed for Season 2[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176February 9, 2017 9:25 PM

Not really a surprise but nice to see it confirmed, while I had some real issues with this series I still thought it was creatively interesting and want to see how it ends.

by Anonymousreply 177February 9, 2017 9:29 PM

What kind of annoyed me was when they showed this brief shot of her violine case being in her closet when that one kid searched her room (and then found the package with the books under her bed). I mean, tell me a story and don't give me that bullshit of "throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the wall" and call it open for interpretation.

The whole interpretive dance thing was a cheesy way of standing up to your bully. It looked pretty when they rehearsed it in their cells, but at the school schooting? I expected everybody to laugh at them even with a shooter about to shoot them.

I can't imagine how they get a second season out of this particular story. Is it some sort of anthology series?

by Anonymousreply 178February 9, 2017 9:47 PM

Is this ever coming back?

by Anonymousreply 179December 12, 2018 11:11 PM

I hope not. It was a huge let down after showing good promise at the start.

by Anonymousreply 180December 12, 2018 11:15 PM

It was so awful that I didn't even know it hadn't aired in two years.

by Anonymousreply 181December 12, 2018 11:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!