Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can We Talk About The Forgotten Hunk Stephen Boyd?

Gorgeous Hollywood leading man, died at age 45 of a massive heart attack. Married twice, each for one year only, his last marriage being to his female assistant. Raquel Welch said she once tried to seduce him, but believed he was gay. God, he was beautiful!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 23, 2021 3:45 AM

Looks like he had a little fun with Chuck Heston on the "Ben Hur" set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2016 1:48 AM

How does someone who looks like the picture of health die so young and of a disease usually associated with old fat guys?

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2016 1:48 AM

R2 My guess is it was something genetic. Kind Jim Fixx, the guy who wrote the book about running. Dropped dead of a heart attack at age 52. His family had a history of heart trouble.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2016 1:50 AM

Here is wearing Spandex with Raquel in "Fantastic Voyage." I can see why she wanted to get busy with him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2016 1:52 AM

I recall reading an interview that Gore Vidal did talking about when he worked on the Ben-Hur script in Rome. There was always this unspoken undercurrent of sexual attraction between Messala and Ben-Hur, and Vidal decided to have a little fun with it and wrote all these script instructions where Messala was supposed to look longingly at Ben-Hur. Stephen Boyd was into it and it made Heston EXTREMELY uncomfortable LMAO

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2016 2:02 AM

OP is a racist, right-wing bigot.

Let's not talk about Stephen Boyd.

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2016 2:09 AM

R5 I see the sexual tension between Boyd and Heston.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2016 2:12 AM

Fantastic Voyage is really a fun movie.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2016 2:41 AM

He played Frankie Fane in the movie "The Oscar". I read the book as a kid (especially the parts about how hung the character was) and was happy with the casting when I finally saw the movie.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2016 2:42 AM

He sure was purdy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2016 2:43 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2016 2:45 AM

Handsome. And the accent helped as well.

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2016 2:55 AM

r5, you're leaving out the most important part, Heston was only uncomfortable after the fact, because he was too dumb to read between the lines while they were filmin itg. He would've objected otherwise, he was the star and wouldn't have put up with it. Gore and Stephen knew they could slip it by dumbo and it worked.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2016 4:33 AM

R9 Easily one of the worst movies of all time. And the "acting" of Tony Bennett was ridiculously bad.

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2016 4:40 AM

He was almost artificial in how handsome he was, especially with that chin cleft on top of everything else.

I'm sorry he had so much trouble getting work in the last 10-15 years of his life. He was so handsome, but it was the wrong look for the new Hollywood after "Bonnie and Clyde." He was a good actor, and had tons of sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2016 4:53 AM

Why is there such a critical bias against musicians acting?

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2016 4:55 AM

Oh Livius... Livius..Livius Livius Livius Livius!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2016 5:47 AM

I tried to fuck him too, yeah he was gay. No straight man can resist me,baby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2016 6:43 AM

Stephen Boyd died of AIDS you know. Of course they didn't call it that back then, but that is what it was.

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2016 7:06 AM

Did Billy Millar get picked up by Sir Michael Redgrave?

"There are not many people who can go from being a busker to a Hollywood film idol, but then not everyone was Stephen Boyd.

"Not even Billy Millar, the actor from Glengormley, County Antrim, who adopted that stage name after a chance encounter with Sir Michael Redgrave in a London cinema which helped propel him to stardom.

"As a new BBC documentary explains, the Northern Ireland man, famed for his role in the 1950s blockbuster Ben Hur, encountered Redgrave at the Leicester Square venue while he was working there as a doorman."

Continued...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2016 7:33 AM

Clip of a very early, uncredited role where Boyd plays "Beaumont's Poolside Companion" -- Beaumont being Errol Flynn -- in "Let's Make Up" from 1954.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2016 8:51 AM

Back in the 1960s he was one of the first celebrity Scientologists, and he would mention it in interviews on occasion.

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2016 8:59 AM

R20 Great story about how Boyd got into the industry. Sir Michael Redgrave knew a hot package when he saw one.

by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2016 10:19 AM

The slightly different version of the Ben Hur story I heard was that Vidal felt he could only make dramatic sense of the story if Messala were in love with Hur and he told director William Wyler he intended to write that way. Wyler told him to go ahead but not mention it to Heston. Boyd was good enough of an actor to realize the subtext in the script on his own and had no problems playing it that way. Heston was clueless and none of the three told him. When the film came out other people had to explain to Heston what was obvious onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2016 10:34 AM

Here's Raquel Welch's account of how Stephen spurned her advances and why she thought he was gay. He definitely could've been gay, especially since he was...ahem..."discovered" at a cinema by Michael Redgrave, but Raquel's story sounds less like definitive proof that Boyd was gay and more like Boyd wanting to avoid a skanky Hollywood ho:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2016 11:03 AM

R21 This is a great clip. I love the way Boyd stretches his sexy leg out at the :50 mark. And what kind of pool party is this, anyway? I see seven men and three women, so I'm guessing it's a gay pool party and a few guys brought their hags with 'em.

by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2016 11:08 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2016 11:37 AM

Should have won the Oscar for being about the only interesting thing in Ben-Hur. What a slog of a movie.

by Anonymousreply 28November 22, 2016 12:05 PM

So interesting that he felt the need to change his name from Billy Millar to Stephen Boyd. William Millar would have been a perfectly acceptable name for a movie star in the late 1950s and certainly no less memorable than Stephen Boyd. I wonder why he did it?

As incredibly handsome as he was, I can see (and remember) how that type of good looks fell out of favor against the Dustin Hoffmans, Al Pacinos and Elliott Goulds of the early 1970s. Even Robert Redford had a "quirkier" look than Boyd with his classic wavy glossy hair and cleft chin.

by Anonymousreply 29November 22, 2016 1:43 PM

R29 "Stephen Boyd" probably had more of an "American" sound to it, and he wanted to get to Hollywood, so that name probably opened a few doors for him.

by Anonymousreply 30November 22, 2016 1:47 PM

I loved him with Doris Day in "Jumbo."

He played the title character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 22, 2016 1:53 PM

R31 "Jumbo" was just on TCM last Sunday. He was about the only thing worth watching in it.

by Anonymousreply 32November 22, 2016 1:59 PM

Can someone please find and post that clip of Mr. Boyd on What's My Line?

It may be very enlightening vis a vis this thread, as to how he relates to Dorothy Kilgallen and Arlene Francis.

by Anonymousreply 33November 22, 2016 4:10 PM

[quote] I love the way Boyd stretches his sexy leg out at the :50 mark.

R26 Lots of sexy leg stretching in "Island in the Sun" with Dame Joan. Has she ever weighed in?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 22, 2016 6:49 PM

In discussing the "Ben Hur" situation, someone once mentioned that there was gay subtext in "The Big Gamble" as well. True? I've never seen it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 22, 2016 6:59 PM

R33 Is this what you're looking for?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 22, 2016 7:43 PM

The first wife seems like a studio hookup? Italian MCA executive Mariella di Sarzana. Lasted until the filming of Ben Hur was over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 22, 2016 8:02 PM

He suppossedy had a long affair with euro-trash film goddess Marisa Mell in the early 70s. They did 2 movies together, one was called Marta (1971) and is a camp classic & sort of a Psycho rip off. I thought after the mid 60s he looked old and burnt out............

by Anonymousreply 38November 22, 2016 8:04 PM

Found a lovely photo of him on Wikipedia, I don't know how you can put so many dimples in one face. He died of a heart attack while golfing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 22, 2016 9:09 PM

So did he start the whole closeted scieno thing?

by Anonymousreply 40November 22, 2016 9:16 PM

R14, I recall there was a push to get Milton Berle an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for "The Oscar", which went nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 41November 22, 2016 9:19 PM

R38 But his affair with Mell still sounds kinda weird .. like a screenplay or something. They even did some kind of (non-legal) "Gypsy Wedding." This is from Mell's chapter on Boyd in her book "Coverlove" (translated from German) about her experience with Boyd during their first film:

[quote] He treated me like a piece of prop! I did everything, almost desperately, to get his attention. When we kissed in front of the camera, I put all the passion I had into that kiss. They were not cool, calculated film kisses on the upper lip, but hot and genuine. I believe that he had never been kissed on camera like that before! But Stephen Boyd remained cold. He seemed to feel nothing. I felt crazy and began to doubt myself. I had the most absurd thoughts about Stephen Boyd. Every day I spent 12 hours with this man. I had to hug him, look him in the eyes, touch his skin. It was almost unbearable. It was torture. I spent eight weeks showing him only my best side – sweet, cute, seductive, open, mysterious – everything! It was no use.

The entire chapter is at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 22, 2016 9:27 PM

Damn, he was handsome. Appeared in 60 films. Born in Northern Ireland, UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 22, 2016 9:41 PM

He had a hot daddy speaking voice as well.

by Anonymousreply 44November 22, 2016 10:17 PM

He's got a big head.

by Anonymousreply 45November 22, 2016 10:48 PM

Love him, but my God, he had bad taste in choosing film projects!

In the end Ben-Hur is really his only respectable credit and I can only imagine he would have been offered some pretty incredible stuff after its success.

Reading the Wiki bio it seems so clear now that he must have been gay.

by Anonymousreply 46November 22, 2016 11:11 PM

[quote] In the end Ben-Hur is really his only respectable credit

I think The Best of Everything is more respected than Ben-Hur around here.

by Anonymousreply 47November 22, 2016 11:25 PM

R36 God, he was sexy in that clip! Woof!

by Anonymousreply 48November 23, 2016 1:16 AM

R42 She does everything but say she was a beard for him!

by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2016 1:17 AM

Does nothing for me. A big boring head.

by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2016 1:25 AM

I hadda show him the ropes. Where to stand, what a key light was. He paid me back with something only a MAN can give a woman, not like those fags you hang out with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2016 1:26 AM

Once you roll the skin back, r50, it is so much fun to play with.

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2016 1:27 AM

Stevie during his Lord Kitchener phase.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2016 1:31 AM

"At one point in the 1960s, he had three homes there — one in Tarzana, one above the Sunset Strip, and another in Palm Springs."

GAY!

by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2016 1:34 AM

Boyd was cast as the original Marc Antony in "Cleopatra" with Liz Taylor. Both he and Peter Finch (as Julius Caesar) bowed out when production stalled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2016 2:53 AM

He looks like he's wearing so much eye makeup in that clip at r55.

by Anonymousreply 56November 23, 2016 4:22 AM

In his biography of Doris Day (Doris Day: A Reluctant Star), author David Bret is writing about her working with Boyd in "Billy Rose's Jumbo" and writes:

[quote] Doris and Boyd became great friends–like many of her gay friends in the know he borrowed from Rock Hudson and called her 'Eunice' after Eunice Blotter.

by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2016 6:56 AM

His brogue was so thick I could barely understand what he was saying.

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2016 9:51 AM

R57 When you're in Doris Day's inner circle and are calling her "Eunice," that pretty much confirms you're gay.

by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2016 10:16 AM

R34, when this thread started I went looking for a mention of Joan Collins claiming to have had an affair with him, because I was positive I read that somewhere, but couldn't find it.

I did find this -- a whole blog about Stephen Boyd! The entry on Joan and Stephen says they were good friends but it wasn't romantic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 23, 2016 12:14 PM

My uncle worked with Michael Redgrave - not as an actor, he was very much a behind-the-stage type.

He said that he was a stiff, rather tormented man. But usually a great professional, though he did seem to torture himself a bit to get into character...

by Anonymousreply 61November 23, 2016 12:39 PM

R60 Great blog! Great stories! When Joan Collins can't get the dick, the guy's definitely gay.

by Anonymousreply 62November 23, 2016 1:32 PM

[quote]Doris and Boyd became great friends–like many of her gay friends in the know he borrowed from Rock Hudson and called her 'Eunice' after Eunice Blotter.

I wonder why he and Doris never did a romcom together (like she did with Hudson, Garner, Taylor, Grant, et. al.) Maybe he wasn't that adept at comedy, but it would seem like it would've been a natural pairing.

by Anonymousreply 63November 23, 2016 5:10 PM

R2 Besides the possibility of a genetic factor that R3 mentions, some of his bios state that when he was young, unemployed, and living on the streets, he came down with some illness. I've never read what illness, though. It might be possible that whatever he had did damage to his heart and left him predisposed toward that type of problem.

by Anonymousreply 64November 23, 2016 10:03 PM

Always assumed he was gay, but what about the Marisa Mell relationship? Mell was a stunner!

by Anonymousreply 65November 23, 2016 10:26 PM

R65 Did you read the link at R42 to the translated chapter about Boyd in Mell's book? .. The whole thing sounds rather bizarre: the gypsy "blood wedding," their going on some kind of "pilgrimage" complete with exorcism ritual, his developing what Mell refers to as a "psychosomatic disorder," with him eventually just up and leaving her.

by Anonymousreply 66November 23, 2016 11:58 PM

He was a hot piece of ass, but he couldn't live forever!

by Anonymousreply 67November 24, 2016 12:25 AM

Someone here knows something.

by Anonymousreply 68November 24, 2016 12:34 AM

He was so handsome and sexy

by Anonymousreply 69November 24, 2016 1:24 AM

Boyd on "What's My Line?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 24, 2016 1:35 AM

Yass

by Anonymousreply 71November 24, 2016 1:39 AM

Marisa Mell IS Mata Hari!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 24, 2016 1:57 AM

Men in ancient Egypt wore eye makeup, R56.

And he was interested in that clam thing for a few years till they took advantage of him and pissed him off.

by Anonymousreply 73November 24, 2016 2:02 AM

R73 You mean the Scientology stuff? Yeah, he got mad when he learned they were using some video he'd taped for recruitment and told them to stop.

by Anonymousreply 74November 24, 2016 2:07 AM

Except, r73, Stephen Boyd was playing a Roman named Marc Antony.

If anyone's interested that hirsute fellow in the photo with Marisa Mell at r72 is her Mata Hari co-star Pernell Roberts, late of Bonanza and Trapper John, MD. The musical was a huge disaster and was closed down in its pre-Broadway tryout in DC by producer David Merrick.

by Anonymousreply 75November 24, 2016 2:13 AM

He's adorable and charming in that clip at r70! And seems very gay in retrospect, even his flamboyant signature, but maybe that's just an Irish affectation.

Arlene: Is your current picture a spectacle? And I mean that in the nicest way!

by Anonymousreply 76November 24, 2016 2:22 AM

WOW! I watched R70 clip. He was stunning! A LOT of black Irish men are gorgeous!! Tyrone Power was definitely one of many. I think Ben Hur was a fantastic film. Their were showing old movies at a local movie theater when I was a kid, and my dad and his wife took me to see the film. It was terrific on a huge screen. The filming of the chariot race was amazing and the story of Ben Hur's family is extremely moving.

BTW, was Pernell Roberts bisexual or straight?

by Anonymousreply 77January 13, 2017 10:48 AM

Never heard any rumors about Pernell Roberts. But imagining him in his Bonanza days having a tryst with Stephen Boyd is a great fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 78January 13, 2017 11:03 AM

R77 Tyrone Power was also part Italian. Another one of those great Italian/Irish mixes.

by Anonymousreply 79January 13, 2017 11:12 AM

Gorgeous Hollywood leading man, died at age 45 of a massive h̶e̶a̶r̶t̶ fart attack

by Anonymousreply 80January 13, 2017 11:26 AM

r77 probably gay.

by Anonymousreply 81January 13, 2017 11:30 AM

I always thought he looked amazing in the 1966 film "Caper of the Golden Bulls," especially in the extended shirtless scene.

by Anonymousreply 82February 2, 2019 1:58 AM

I just spent five minutes of my life, reading 82 replies and I still don't know who he is or why I would care.

by Anonymousreply 83July 18, 2019 6:42 AM

R5 r15 Boyd was directed to look and act longingly towards Heston. What made it work was that Heston was deliberately kept in the dark by the writer and director.

by Anonymousreply 84July 18, 2019 9:20 AM

R5 r15 Boyd was directed to look and act longingly towards Heston. What made it work was that Heston was deliberately kept in the dark by the writer and director.

by Anonymousreply 85July 18, 2019 9:21 AM

He was great in the movie the oscar, that and the best of everything were the only things I ever saw him in. As to the heart attacks..........heart attacks are generally caused by plaque build up from your diet. Eating a normal american diet will build up the placque and almost guarantees a heart attack at some point. You dont have to be overweight or obese to have placque that causes a heart attack.

He married his long time secretary after knowing her for 20 years, there are a number of clues that suggest a stron possibility of being gay. Extremely handsome but what sets him apart even more is hewas reputedly loved by everyone that ever worked with him and a generally great all around guy.

by Anonymousreply 86August 1, 2019 4:56 PM

Another good SB film is "Lisa" with DL favourite Delores Hart.

by Anonymousreply 87August 1, 2019 5:29 PM

I just watched The Oscar. I wished he had a chance to show more skin in that. He's certainly handsome, but he lacks a certain something which spells the difference between a star and a competent lead, though the script and direction of the Oscar wouldn't bring out star quality in anyone cast in Boyd's part.

by Anonymousreply 88May 23, 2021 2:32 AM

R88: Yeah--he was never a leading man, but always fine in an ensemble,

Funny that his bios never say whether he was Protestant or Catholic--County Antrim is mostly Protestant, but he identified as Irish and usually the only Protestants who did that were from Anglo-Irish backgrounds in the South. Scientology must have been proud of bagging him, before they went on to bigger names.

by Anonymousreply 89May 23, 2021 3:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!