Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Nick Stahl?

I loved him in Carnivale. Is he still acting?

by Anonymousreply 142April 21, 2021 4:38 AM

He checked into rehab for meth addiction last year so... he's probably just not doing well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 14, 2016 6:01 AM

And it was heroin befpre that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 14, 2016 6:32 AM

That makes me sad. I really liked him.

by Anonymousreply 3November 14, 2016 6:42 AM

Still looking for management

by Anonymousreply 4November 14, 2016 7:19 AM

He's an incredible talent & heartbreaking in any role, which is rare in someone with his beginnings i.e. doing commercials as a kid to feed a family. Two underrated Stahl movies for anyone wanting recs are TWIST, a MOPI-esque Oliver Twist, & SLEEPWALKING, a rust-belt drama by Charlize Theron. He can play depressive fugue & the lower depths with so much realism, he must have been through Hell himself.

Haunted as he is, he would have made an excellent John Constantine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 14, 2016 9:48 AM

I went to college with a guy named Nick Stahl (not that it matters)

by Anonymousreply 6November 14, 2016 4:54 PM

Agree he is a phenomenal actor

by Anonymousreply 7November 14, 2016 6:00 PM

Larry Clark was a guest on a recent Bret Easton Ellis podcast. He directed Stahl in Bully and seemed to like him. However he talked more about fellow Bully stars Bijou Phillips and Brad Renfro. He said Bijou was a total whore at 15 and was sleeping with everyone in Hollywood. And Renfro was doing drugs all the time and he escaped the set at least once, although they had a minder whose job was to keep him there.

It's really sad drugs got Stahl as well. Hopefully he manages to pull out before it's too late.

by Anonymousreply 8November 14, 2016 6:08 PM

Godless but still praying for the guy as a longtime lover of his films. It was hoped Charlize would boost him out of a bad place but no dice. Isn't Clea Duvall his childhood friend? Wonder if she knows what's up with him these days...

It's worth mentioning that noone has a bad word to say about his personality or work ethic in the film & tv world, even with his obvious using and constant disappearances, R8, which is an achievement in itself. So as far as anyone knows it's just he has this sad & mysterious compulsion to injure himself (and you could say his wife & young daughter, by extension). Guess whatever's in his head hasnt let him go just yet, but hopefully it will someday very soon.

The DL is rooting for you, Nicolas, wherever you are.

by Anonymousreply 9November 14, 2016 7:13 PM

He has one of those faces that I can't tell if he's homely or if he's good looking. I'm watching "Carnivale" now though, and agree that he's an excellent actor. Kudos to him for seeking help with his addictions. I hope he lands on his feet and lands a role that shows his depth to a larger audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2017 12:42 AM

Is he still jerking off in public spaces?

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2017 12:46 AM

I was sad to hear about this being so ongoing,Id hoped he was getting cleaned up.He really is a "presence" onscreen,I hope he can use it again. Unfortunately,having known way too many junkies in my time, it rarely ends well. I wont be surprised in a couple of years to hear about his death.God forbid.

by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2017 12:48 AM

I hope it doesn't end the way it did for Brad Renfro.

by Anonymousreply 13January 9, 2017 1:02 AM

In his last interview, he said he was concentrating on getting his life and health together and putting his career on the back burner. I hope he gets well. Those big, soulful eyes really light up the screen even when he's playing the villain.

by Anonymousreply 14January 9, 2017 1:15 AM

I think he's going the Brad Renfro route, which is a damn shame. I like him.

And he was caught alone in a jack-off booth jacking off. It was a victimless crime in a place where everybody knows people go to jerk off that's only technically public.

But cops and cities have quotas, so it's time to bust Fred Willard and Nick Stahl in secluded jerk-off parlors.

Who was harmed?

by Anonymousreply 15January 9, 2017 1:24 AM

He is a great talent. He's probably my favorite young actor. He's the only that's really good in a sea of DiCaprio, Cooper, Channing, that one Republican who abuses his animals...

by Anonymousreply 16January 9, 2017 1:31 AM

He was a good actor - even as a kid. He out-acted Mel Gibson in Man Without a Face. I hope he can get it together.

by Anonymousreply 17January 9, 2017 1:32 AM

Nick did an interview on the phone for a website called Craveonline back in 2013. That's the last anyone heard from him that I know of.

by Anonymousreply 18January 9, 2017 1:40 AM

Don't write him off as doomed to be another Renfro for fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 19January 9, 2017 1:49 AM

[quote] Don't write him off as doomed to be another Renfro for fuck's sake.

I learned long ago to write off all alcoholics and druggies. They are like rabid dogs--harmful to everyone around them. And like rabid dogs, it's not really their fault and you shouldn't hate them for it, but stay away from them always.

by Anonymousreply 20January 9, 2017 2:26 AM

There are some that do manage to escape from addiction. It is very hard especially with harder drugs like meth and heroin. I hope he can pull himself together and live a happier life. That might mean leaving acting.

by Anonymousreply 21January 9, 2017 2:42 AM

R20, I know people who have recovered from addiction. It's hard but not impossible

by Anonymousreply 22January 9, 2017 12:53 PM

Certainly, some support from fans can't hurt.

by Anonymousreply 23January 9, 2017 11:29 PM

Someone on imdb.com claimed to have seen him in Texas, his native state. Few seem to know where he lives right now.

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2017 10:49 PM

2014 was the last I saw of him but I really like him. I would think he is rich.

by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2017 10:57 PM

I just checked his wikipedia page, and, it appears, he has a movie in post production, due out this year. I hope that's a sign that he is on the way to getting back on his feet. He has that sad way about him that just makes you want to mother him, and make him some delicious chicken soup.

by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2017 11:28 PM

[quote]I would think he is rich.

Why would he be rich?

He hasn't had that many big screen roles.

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2017 11:37 PM

American Dream has been in post-production hell since at least 2012

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2017 11:42 PM

I loved Carnivale. Wish it had lasted longer than two seasons. Did anyone else look up the back story behind it all with the Avatars etc? There's a whole detailed wiki on it.

by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2017 11:52 PM

My dad and brother are both recovered addicts. You just have to really want it.

by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2017 8:27 AM

I hope Stahl recovers fully and makes a grand comeback.

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2017 11:06 PM

On February 11-12, Nick Stahl is scheduled to appear at the Dallas Comic Show. I hope it's the beginning of a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 32February 6, 2017 2:58 AM

He is a very good actor. While not conventionally good looking has a certain qualities that are quite appealing. I hope he can recover himself. I myself was a heroin addict and struggled for about 20 years and finally have remained sober since 2011. It is very difficult for a young person and being in show business is not the best place to remain sober. I loved Carnavale and he has always left an impression in everything I have seen him in.

by Anonymousreply 33February 6, 2017 3:22 AM

[quote] He has always left an impression in everything I have seen him in.

That's the most interesting part about him. He's somewhat in-demand considering the years he leaves between projects for recovery, family etc. For a Hollywood actor he doesn't work all that much, but film fans still ask after him and want to see him cast in projects big & small. Other actors like him, too.

by Anonymousreply 34March 7, 2017 11:52 AM

Stahl is an exceptional actor. So engaging and magnetic in whatever role or part he's playing. You believe it and never get sidetracked. I loved him in Sin City.

by Anonymousreply 35March 7, 2017 12:24 PM

The last paragraph of this article gives a little blip of what he's doing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 7, 2017 12:33 PM

^^ Is that hair on purpose?

by Anonymousreply 37March 7, 2017 1:29 PM

r37 It's his post-rehab hair.

by Anonymousreply 38March 7, 2017 1:31 PM

He's morphing into William H. Macy. Maybe if they need to show Frank Gallagher as a young man in a flashback on "Shameless," Nick could do it.

by Anonymousreply 39March 7, 2017 8:40 PM

He's doing well and has been for the last couple of years, and he's looking great too. He's very sweet & polite, I love his mellow accent.

I didn't know this until watching him speak at the Dallas Comic Show '17 - he started out doing kid's theatre before he did film (even though he was a film fan from young, of fellow Texan Terrence Malik mainly), and he got the acting bug the stage-way. Nick also says he 'didn't do well' in school which pushed him further into acting as a career, and has nothing but good things about films he was in as a kid but felt miscast in the teen movies he worked on, mainly BULLY. Cute that Nick was too shy to speak to Arnie until 3 weeks into TERMINATOR III shoot, aw.

I love what this user says about his work in the comment section:

[quote] Nick is so perfect for the darker things. He is so good at showing strong emotions. Not many people can do that, let themselves be ugly on film (not that he is ever ugly on film...but it may feel that way to him), and just really get into it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 20, 2017 7:16 PM

Is Nick gay?

by Anonymousreply 41April 20, 2017 7:36 PM

He's only been known to publicly date women, R41, usually co-stars or C-list female actors in his circle.

He was married to the mother of his young daughter too, for 3 years (09-12). This coincided with his dark period of notorious misadventure.

by Anonymousreply 42April 20, 2017 9:50 PM

Thanks OP, I had wanted to make this exact thread after checking out Carnivale recently.

by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2017 11:06 PM

You could just see the root of his penis and lovely dark pubes in a scene in "Bully".

by Anonymousreply 44April 20, 2017 11:21 PM

R41 no-one talks about it but the character Stahl played in WWII-epic THE THIN RED LINE was turned straight by director Terrence Malick.

It goes completely unmentioned and unseen in the movie, but in James Jones' original novel (published to shock & awe in the far more progressive atmosphere of 1962) Pfc. Edward Bead, the character Stahl went on to play in the 1998 movie, is in an explicitly gay relationship with his superior ranking officer Cpl. Geoff Fife, who is played in the movie by Adrien Brody. It is quasi-abusive (Fife openly insults & abuses Bead) and is borne out of sexual frustration, loneliness & PTSD as much as any attraction but is a sustained gay relationship nonetheless.

So Malick is to thank for the missed opportunity of a 5-minute scene of sweat-soaked Adrien Brody fucking Nick Stahl in the jungle.

by Anonymousreply 45April 20, 2017 11:31 PM

Terrence also left a beautiful, gut-wrenching scene of Stahl's on the damn cutting-room floor because he deemed it too upsetting for theaters.

In it, Bead (Stahl) is ambushed and forced into fighting for his life against a Japanese soldier, and in self-defence kills his assailant with a bayonet. It's his first direct kill and Bead takes it badly, breaking down sobbing & retching, separated from his comrades and trying to get his bearings in the swelter of the dazzling sun. Stahl is only 18 here and brings everything to the scene, it's a must watch (at 5m into the linked YT below).

No questioning Malick's talent or the huge undertaking of even making TTRL in the first place, but if James Jones had a say in the editing of this movie somehow I think he'd have kept that small but pivotal scene in the final cut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 20, 2017 11:42 PM

Per R42's post: by all accounts, that wife of the daughter (Rose?) didn't help things much. He was 100% clean for a while there, including when I met him and his pregnant wife. Very nice young man, skinny as a rail but still seemed healthy, truly great actor. This was when he was living at the time in a smaller town somewhat off the Hollywood map, another good sign or so everyone thought. Guess it didn't take.

The meth thing really surprises me. I don't think that had even been on the menu.

by Anonymousreply 47April 20, 2017 11:54 PM

R47, that's a very interesting observation. And how lucky to have met him in-person, he does seem lovely.

Could you tell us anything more about his personality? Gossip is alright but it's always nicer to have 1st-hand accounts.

by Anonymousreply 48April 21, 2017 1:13 AM

Thanks, sorry not much more to say, a mutual acquaintance knew I admired him as an actor and brought him along to something I was involved with. The acquaintance was a former junkie who'd cleaned up and was kind of a good influence on Nick, maybe even his "sponsor" of sorts, though I don't think either was really in AA. I didn't know he was coming so it was a nice surprise. He was quiet but sat with others at the event and apparently engaged them in conversation, no movie star bullshit. And nobody, including me, asked to get photos taken with him or whatever; it was all kind of a normal professional situation. And he made a good impression. (For the record, he was also very cute in person, that little monkey face and those blue eyes. He looked like a movie star, even then in jeans and flannel).

A few months later, the acquaintance hinted that things had gone off the rails again, even with the baby arrived. I think they had even lost touch -- and they went way back too, I think via his mother even. Soonafter, all the tabloid gossip began, including the weird jerk off incident, and confirmed it.

by Anonymousreply 49April 21, 2017 2:19 AM

Hey, it sounds like it was a great encounter, R49, thank so much for sharing. It's always gratifying to know that favorite actors are down-to-Earth, and even better if they're nice and cute too (other DL threads state he's short, like 5"8/9, but with flawless skin and as you mentioned with gorgeous eyes). Your acquaintance/friend sounds like a thoughtful person too, I hope he's (?) kept clean and happy since that day.

It doesn't surprise me that Stahl is quietly unassuming off-the-job or in company, he comes across as introverted and sensitive. From what he's said in the past he seems to treat acting like a job (one he finds interesting and rewarding) rather than an excuse to act out or get perks.

by Anonymousreply 50April 21, 2017 1:21 PM

[quote]You could just see the root of his penis and lovely dark pubes in a scene in "Bully".

Yes, glad he keeps a natural bush.

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2017 5:07 PM

R42, funny, I didn't think of him so much as short as I did "slight". Just small builds but average heights -- all of which looks good on camera and is so the trend, I've noticed. I worked with the new "MacGyv" who I always had thought was cute and both he, the CSI guy and even the girl lead (all nice, by the way) were the same way. Not short really, not what you'd think of as small either -- but very slight builds that translate to "lanky" on TV.

I am starting to think if you are stocky, even if you don't have an ounce of fat on your body, it still translates as heavy on TV/Film, especially when you are surrounded by big head/little body type actors (most of them).

by Anonymousreply 52April 21, 2017 6:32 PM

Damn, R5, I ended up watching the movie. I did not see the part with the brother coming, that was some pretty deep psychological damage. Stahl was great.

Stahl has the potential to be like RDJ. No matter how much he fucks up, he has the talent and likability to make a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 53April 21, 2017 9:01 PM

There was gossip about the period when Nick filmed Bully with Brad Renfro. The were rumored to be doing drugs together as well as fooling around sexually.

by Anonymousreply 54April 21, 2017 10:12 PM

R53 for a cheap Canadian indie knock-off movie, TWIST exceeds all expectation and leaves a real mark. I haven't forgotten how haunted I felt after finishing it for the first time, and I've watched several times since (I imagine you'll watch it again too, most people seem to keep going back to it). It's shot with a sensual profundity and delicacy that I did not expect, and combined with the jarring subject matter it makes for a hell of a watch.

My favorite scene (or at least, the scene that always draws me in) is the scene where a broken-down Oliver & Dodge try to comfort each other at Fagin's after Nancy's death, but it ends in a shocking assault. It is brutal and sad, and characterises Dickens' Oliver & Dodger in ways I never even considered before I saw this. Another high-point is earlier on, when Dodge brings Oliver home and Fagin punishes him - Stahl is superb there.

Stahl is absolutely the brilliant nucleus of the film, but kudos also to the supporting cast. The actors playing Nancy and Fagin stood out to me as much as Stahl's Dodge, which is saying something because I watched it for him. One scene that I can't forget is a conversation between Fagin & Nancy outside her porch; it's a casual 'goodnight' exchange in the twilight, nothing overtly intense, but it is so ominous and sad.

by Anonymousreply 55April 21, 2017 11:40 PM

When Bead is dying and calls out for Fife ("Hold my hand, Fife...") I die a little too, every time R45. Even without the gay context, it's dire. Isn't Bead only like 16 years old in the book? Sadly, likely one of many very young lost in the War.

by Anonymousreply 56April 23, 2017 11:24 AM

I've always had a huge crush on Nick Stahl- I think Disturbing Behavior was the first film I saw him in where I totally smitten. Bully was really good and sexy too. Anyway, I saw him once on 6th Ave and we definitely made eyes. This was around 2003 or 04. Not sure if he's gay but he definitely acknowledged me cruising him with a sexy smile. Wish I had tried to lure him into one of the Adult book Stores!

by Anonymousreply 57April 23, 2017 12:12 PM

I don't know if I'll watch it again, R55. I agree that the movie is very well made which might be part of the reason. You don't often see something like the scene with the brother that shows how the cycle of abuse works. That's usually too dark for movies to deal with, because it is horrible to acknowledge and watch.

by Anonymousreply 58April 23, 2017 7:52 PM

He has the most starry, enchanting eyes of a male lead I've ever seen. He's a good crier too, very believable on film (which many aren't).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 23, 2017 8:57 PM

I hope he makes it. It seems that business just crushes people.

by Anonymousreply 60April 23, 2017 9:02 PM

Is 2001's LOVER'S PRAYER as delightfully camp as it looks? And does Nick give as good as he usually does?

Haven't seen it but the cover is piquant.

by Anonymousreply 61April 23, 2017 9:09 PM

Hell of a bizarre IMDB he's got, there's a little of everything in there running from dystopian action to the Merchant-Ivory knockoffs like Lover's Prayer and that Disney cowboy flick he did with Patrick Swayze.

He ought to segue into Westerns while there's a lull in the genre, he's got the perfect look and acting style for it. Either that or a period noir/crime series like Boardwalk Empire or Peaky Blinders would be ideal for him. I can't and don't want to see someone with his talent in a superhero/comicbook movie (he was great in Sin City, no need to go beyond that) but he may have to go for one of those parts next for the money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 24, 2017 12:43 PM

R61, I've seen Lover's Prayer. It's a flawed film but I wouldn't call it campy. I kind of liked it, actually. Nick is fine.

by Anonymousreply 63April 24, 2017 2:40 PM

R62 he was in the Locke & Key pilot, which has been picked up again by Netflix. The news doesn't say if the first cast have been retained though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 24, 2017 3:59 PM

I wonder if they can get insurance for him for a TV show. It might be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 65April 24, 2017 4:43 PM

It will be a travesty if the talented & recovered Stahl gets dropped from a good TV project just because he once wandered out of Betty Ford. Life, man. Kicker is if they replace him you just know they'll hire a better-known actor who is also better at hiding their (much worse) demons.

It's clear to anyone that Nick wasn't getting high for recreational purposes or to party - no-one is when doing crystal all by themselves. He was definitely medicating deep depression & pain and probably looking for God, as well. He shouldn't have to pay for the rest of his life for that.

by Anonymousreply 66April 24, 2017 8:00 PM

It helps that he had no reputation for being difficult to work with. I don't even think he was involved in that boat stealing incident on the "Bully" set (that was Renfro).

by Anonymousreply 67April 24, 2017 9:36 PM

I used to think he was the clean one in that cast, but I guess he was just better at hiding his problems.

by Anonymousreply 68April 24, 2017 10:28 PM

I adore this thread, just love all around for Nick.

This must be the most civil & compassionate discussion about an actor that the DL has ever had.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 25, 2017 12:11 PM

If he doesn't get it together he's gonna end up like Tom Sizemore , another great actor who got addicted .

by Anonymousreply 70April 25, 2017 1:37 PM

He's so mellow in every clip (as he was in person). There seems to be absolutely not footage of him acting wild and crazy or even slurring his words or staggering. And I thought meth left awful scars, etc., visible evidence on the face. I'm not doubting his issues, of course, but it is interesting that he's the most low key of addicts. Maybe that will help him in his comeback.

by Anonymousreply 71April 25, 2017 3:25 PM

Was his character in Bully supposed to be conflicted about his sexuality?

It's been years since I've seen that film, but I remember something off between his character and the dad.

by Anonymousreply 72April 25, 2017 5:57 PM

oh totally!

by Anonymousreply 73April 25, 2017 5:58 PM

And he spends time in gay bars making money off the older men. And he is making gay porn, which he forces Allie to watch while he rapes her. That and a scene where he pushes a naked Renfro off of his girl and takes over all added to your theory -- though this may be more Larry Clark than the actual true story (there's one of those trade crime paperbacks about it that is quite thorough).

by Anonymousreply 74April 25, 2017 6:01 PM

Oh right, I forgot about all that. I should probably watch it again, but I have to be right mood for that depressing slice of life.

by Anonymousreply 75April 25, 2017 6:09 PM

Yes it was obvious that the Bully character was gay and in terrible conflict about and overcompensated by being an Alpha male trying to dominate all those around him. I think Larry Clark is a very creepy guy BTW the way he uses these really young actors in his movies. I heard talk about the actor who played Caspar in Kids possibly being messed up from some kind of abuse but we will never know as he is now dead from suicide. Clark seem to like using messed boys to be in his movies.

by Anonymousreply 76April 26, 2017 4:10 AM

He also likes the messed up girls.

Negan from the Walking Dead is very much like the Bully character, being the Alpha male and obsessed with other males. It can be taken both ways for both characters, either they are conflicted about their sexuality or that they view sex as part of dominating others.

by Anonymousreply 77April 26, 2017 9:02 AM

Rosario, discovered on a NYC stoop by Clark (or his people), seems to be pretty centered. Chloe too, though she is a rebel of sorts. Even Bijou hasn't gotten into too much trouble.

He walks a thin line in terms of exploitation but his photography background saves him. Every shot looks amazing in his films. And they are indeed sexy.

by Anonymousreply 78April 26, 2017 2:41 PM

For a real-life nice guy, Stahl gets handed some very twisted parts. Rapist, abuser, kidnapper, murderer...how come?

by Anonymousreply 79April 27, 2017 10:54 AM

Because he plays intensity well, despite the boyish thing. I was more surprised at how well he pulled off looking like he was in love as in that simple scene with Marisa Tomei, above. A lot of the young actors can't do THAT. (Don't ask me why. No heat, no passion, maybe raised in a land of feared lawsuits with the opposite gender, who knows).

by Anonymousreply 80April 27, 2017 2:28 PM

Sending love and good thoughts Nick's way.

by Anonymousreply 81April 27, 2017 2:36 PM

R69 does Nick speak/know Spanish? He comes from the Rio Grande Valley by the looks, so he must know Spanglish. His spoken English isn't typically Texan, that's for sure - his pronunciation is very 'flat' & throaty, and vowels are glottal.

Surprising he comes from so far in the South and close to the Border, as he looks so typically a Midwest German man (sandy blond hair & skin, gangly build, salient nose & ears). If they remake the Alamo he could comfortably star in it.

by Anonymousreply 82April 27, 2017 3:18 PM

R80 is one of those conservative weirdos who rant about sexual harassment lawsuits. Meanwhile, out of wedlock pregnancies are going up, hardly anyone is a virgin before marriage....

by Anonymousreply 83April 27, 2017 4:22 PM

Oh, shut the fuck up, this thread was going so well too. I'm actually an acting teacher who's noticed that young male actors have problems showing heat and lust -- not nude scenes but just "want" like even James Stewart and Donna Reed had. And it has to be something that has come in their being raised in current society. It's like they don't want to go there without written consent from their acting partner. That's all.

And, no, I'm not conservative, I'm a gay man in the arts for Chrissake, but people like you will turn me into one soon if you keep up your silly bullshit. Not every opinion is a goddam "rant".

by Anonymousreply 84April 27, 2017 4:52 PM

Bijou fucked out her kidneys.

by Anonymousreply 85April 27, 2017 5:59 PM

What ?^^^

by Anonymousreply 86April 27, 2017 6:49 PM

There was tmz video of bijou and Nicky Hilton at Tila tequila's house picking up the shit belonging to that crackhead socialite who died at tila's house. The one who adopted a baby, poor child my god.

by Anonymousreply 87April 27, 2017 6:57 PM

Pron. 'St-AHl' or 'St-OHl'? And what sort of second name is that, anyhow?

by Anonymousreply 88April 29, 2017 9:17 PM

[quote]It's been years since I've seen that film, but I remember something off between his character and the dad.

Yes, the Dad comes into the bathroom while Nick is standing there naked and puts his arm around him.

by Anonymousreply 89April 29, 2017 10:22 PM

R84, your personal opinions and subjective observations aren't facts. And you are using Jimmy Stewart as a barometer of showing list onscreen. LOL, he never had chemistry with any female.

by Anonymousreply 90April 29, 2017 10:34 PM

His performances are under-appreciated by the masses but I kind of like that his work is more appealing to a critical niche, he feels like an acquired taste and ergo something more special in the film-world. He's the definition of a hidden-gem and I am proud to call him my favourite actor.

He's genuinely always a pleasure to watch in anything, and whenever I think about him I'm always hopeful that he's doing alright. It's awful to watch anyone struggle to keep themselves alive, let alone healthy & motivated, and Nick pulling through the way he has gives me a lot of hope. Can't wait to see his next flick.

by Anonymousreply 91May 12, 2017 3:50 PM

R88, the former. German.

by Anonymousreply 92May 12, 2017 4:37 PM

I always loved him. He was a great actor and I used to jerk off like crazy to his nude scenes in Bully.

by Anonymousreply 93May 12, 2017 6:13 PM

He surely has the distinction of the bleakest subject matter/role choices of any actor working. The work is all quality on his part, thankfully.

The only uplifting/comedic films he's ever been in are that Pecos Bill Disney movie as a kid, and later on SUNSET STRIP.

by Anonymousreply 94May 16, 2017 9:15 PM

AFGHAN LUKE was a comedy as well, which you wouldn't expect from hearing the title or looking at stills. It's a lot like the Clooney caper THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS.

by Anonymousreply 95August 23, 2017 10:31 AM

Any news on how he's doing? With all the scripted content out there, I bet he'd be great on a cable or scripted series. It might be difficult to insure him, but apparently his using never upset production. As long as he can stay clean, I'm sure he could live up to his early promise.

by Anonymousreply 96August 23, 2017 12:53 PM

It's the John Connor curse.

by Anonymousreply 97August 23, 2017 1:02 PM

Is he still masturbating in public?

by Anonymousreply 98August 23, 2017 11:27 PM

Hopefully, R98.

by Anonymousreply 99August 23, 2017 11:30 PM

[quote] He has that sad way about him that just makes you want to make him some delicious chicken soup.

I'd like to do this, and then make-out with him deeply & tenderly for hours on a blanket outside under the stars. You know, if he's into it.

by Anonymousreply 100September 7, 2017 10:12 PM

That sounds nice r100 you big softy.

by Anonymousreply 101September 7, 2017 10:17 PM

R29 the tl;dr of Carnivale was that Ben Hawkins (Nick) was an 'Avatar of Light' i.e. essentially the 2nd Coming of Christ, hence all his freaky-deaky powers of healing and his natural propensity to save people and 'do the right thing' even though he never meant to get involved with others. His nemesis Justin Crow (Clancy Brown) was the 'Avatar of Darkness' i.e. the reborn Antichrist, hence his tendency to do sick, abusive and manipulative things in spite of his 'holy' intentions. They had an inescapable destiny to meet, frustrate & finally destroy one another (the end of the show left it ambiguous whether one or both of them died during their final confrontation - it appears Sofie leaves Ben to die).

Sofie (Clea Duvall), Ben's eventual lover and Justin's daughter, is revealed to be 'The Omega' i.e. the last of the Avatars and the last human or person born on Earth with supernatural powers. It is implied that once the bombs at Trinity test site exploded and Sofie outlasted both Ben & Justin to remain as the last of the Avatar bloodline, the world lost all 'Magic' and became the world of Science & Reason we have today.

by Anonymousreply 102September 7, 2017 10:30 PM

You know R92, 'Stahl' in German literally means 'steel', archaically pertaining to a blade/knife or a rod.

Something to think about.

by Anonymousreply 103September 9, 2017 4:40 PM

He really is beautiful in low-light.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 10, 2017 3:48 PM

Well, what's the latest?

by Anonymousreply 105September 15, 2017 5:59 PM

Nick has been announced as the lead for AMERICAN DREAM, the directorial debut and first self-penned film from Sp iel berg's longtime cinematographer and Director of Photography, Janusz Kaminski.

Janusz, of Polish origin, has worked behind the camera on provocative blockbusters like JURASSIC PARK, AI, MINORITY REPORT & the remake of WAR OF THE WORLDS, as well as more high-minded and emotionally-wracking fare including SCHINDLER'S LIST, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN & WAR HORSE.

In a charming twist, it turns out that AMERICAN DREAM will be a reunion for Stahl and Kaminski on film. Janusz was behind the camera for a very young Nick in Disney's family Western TALL TALE, in 1995.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 17, 2017 11:01 AM

Thanks, r106. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 107September 19, 2017 2:05 AM

Love that. Means he was clean and passed Insurance too.

by Anonymousreply 108September 19, 2017 2:11 AM

He took time off to reconnect with family and spend quality time with his daughter. It looks like he's on the right track.

by Anonymousreply 109September 19, 2017 2:43 AM

There's already a thread for Bijou's nastiness on the set of Bully but it was nice to see Nick noted as another cast member telling her to knock it off.

by Anonymousreply 110November 16, 2017 12:01 AM

He looks just like Richard Madden, the Scotsman who played Robb Stark in GOT.

by Anonymousreply 111November 19, 2017 7:01 PM

Where is Nick’s Oscar nom? Doesn’t matter what for.

by Anonymousreply 112November 20, 2017 5:16 PM

Which role would you nominate, r112?

by Anonymousreply 113November 21, 2017 1:44 AM

I hope he can stay clean and get some more quality roles. He deserves it. Great actor.

by Anonymousreply 114November 21, 2017 2:10 AM

R113 in retrospect I would have to say that I feel Stahl’s Oscar-worthy turns were in: THE THIN RED LINE in 1998, nominating him for Best Supporting Actor in 1999 (although he got a SAA Satellite award win for it as part of the ensemble cast); IN THE BEDROOM in 2001, for Best Actor in 2002; & Theron’s SLEEPWALKING in 2008, for Best Actor in 2009. I would love to add TWIST but sadly it would not qualify for Guild consideration, being a Canadian film not screened in L.A (Stahl scooped a Genie nom in 2005 for it, anyhow).

While I’m passionate about my choices I know these are just my unorthodox personal preferences re. Stahl’s best work, and I imagine others would disagree. I’ve heard others express disbelief before that Nick was never given any award (Oscar or otherwise) for 2001’s cult-hit BULLY, or his precocious performance in 1995’s MAN WITHOUT A FACE (for which he did pick up a Young Artist Award nom that he unfortunately did not win).

Irrespective, Stahl has picked up some great accolades along his way such as SAG, Prism, Critic’s Choice, Golden Satellite & Saturn nominations. He does not need Academy validation to know or prove how good he is. He’s decorated now, and kind of a critical darling already in his offbeat way. It would just be so cool if, good as he is, he one day did get a golden statue as well.

by Anonymousreply 115November 21, 2017 12:11 PM

It would just be cool if he managed to stay clean and not relapse. Love his acting but Hollywood is a horrible place to try to stay clean in.

by Anonymousreply 116November 21, 2017 3:06 PM

He should come back to Canada to make movies, or go to the UK and do one of their acclaimed series. It would be a steady paycheck and good healthcare for him outside of the toxicity he surely knows in LA.

by Anonymousreply 117November 23, 2017 2:43 PM

Can we send him a DL-care package for the Holidays?

by Anonymousreply 118November 27, 2017 1:09 PM

What should we put in the DL-care package?

by Anonymousreply 119November 27, 2017 7:54 PM

A comfy winter caftan? Or is that too much?

by Anonymousreply 120November 28, 2017 10:16 PM

He reminds of River.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121November 28, 2017 11:00 PM

One of the only celebs DL truly loves.

by Anonymousreply 122November 29, 2017 9:00 AM

R122 we’re a mean-spirited gang but count on us to recognise & appreciate real quality.

by Anonymousreply 123November 29, 2017 11:52 AM

I want to see him in a Pynchon screen adaptation. Preferably MASON & DIXON, as Charles Mason.

by Anonymousreply 124December 8, 2017 2:00 PM

Man Without a Face is one of my favorite films

by Anonymousreply 125December 8, 2017 7:04 PM

Man Without a Face would have been better if homophobic Mel hadn't de-gayed it

by Anonymousreply 126December 9, 2017 12:30 AM

Perhaps Nick is ready to perform again. He's been laying low and focusing on his recovery.

by Anonymousreply 127December 10, 2017 5:07 AM

He knows how to ride horses 😍😍😍😍😍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128December 16, 2017 1:53 PM

Did Kevin Spacey ever touch him?

by Anonymousreply 129December 17, 2017 12:42 AM

[quote] He should go to the UK and do one of their acclaimed series.

Please, please, please ‘Peaky Blinders’. Maybe as a Dutch-American emigrant or some such.

by Anonymousreply 130December 27, 2017 11:56 AM

[quote]Did Kevin Spacey ever touch him?

You mean get Mel Gibson's sloppy seconds? No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 131December 27, 2017 6:01 PM

He's awfully good as Jackie Bisset's gay photographer son in "The Sleepy Time Gal" -- a terrific 2001 movie that seems to have vanished. Bisset might have been Oscar nominated if anyone had seen the movie that year.

by Anonymousreply 132December 27, 2017 7:30 PM

Nick Stahl showed a nice bush in 'Bully':

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133December 28, 2017 12:20 AM

Didn’t he rape the other guy in Bully? That was a weird scene.

by Anonymousreply 134December 28, 2017 12:24 AM

I think Nick Stahl's character raped Brad Renfro's girlfriend.

But I think he also assaulted Renfro, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135December 28, 2017 7:14 AM
by Anonymousreply 136August 29, 2019 12:32 PM

He's now on Fear the Walking Dead.

Looks much older but still attractive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137April 21, 2021 4:20 AM

Wow, I never would've recognized him.

by Anonymousreply 138April 21, 2021 4:25 AM

[quote]Wow, I never would've recognized him.

Drugs will do that to a person.

by Anonymousreply 139April 21, 2021 4:27 AM

He looks fine for his age.

He’s about 50, right?

by Anonymousreply 140April 21, 2021 4:29 AM

Bijou Phillips was basically playing herself in most of the films she appeared in, a dizzy young woman who was always dropping her panties for various men. In most of her films she got naked.

IIRC, she was still a teen when she fucked Anthony from the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

by Anonymousreply 141April 21, 2021 4:33 AM

R137. Unfortunately a rough looking 41yo.

by Anonymousreply 142April 21, 2021 4:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!