Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Remember in 1980 When Jimmy Carter Conceded

five seconds after the polls closed?

by Anonymousreply 61November 25, 2018 8:31 PM

I just saw this video of clips from all the concession speeches going back to Nixon.

Trump will probably not go down gracefully, but between "It was rigged, get your guns", and "I lost but it's not my fault, I blame everyone else", I hope it's the latter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 8, 2016 6:31 AM

OP, yes I remember it clearly.

I was in college on the East Coast. Left the library and went to get something to eat. I planned to then go to an election viewing party in my dorm. It was a couple of minutes before 10 p.m. when I got to the restaurant, which had the election results on TV. At 10:01, Jimmy Carter conceded the election.

My mouth dropped open since the polls on the West Coast had just closed a minute earlier.

by Anonymousreply 2November 8, 2016 6:58 AM

Why so soon?

by Anonymousreply 3November 8, 2016 7:02 AM

As Olivia Newton-John and/or Fleetwood Mac would say "It was a landslide"

by Anonymousreply 4November 8, 2016 7:08 AM

When we heard they Reagan victory announced we actually wept tears of joy! We were Main street in Santa Monica at that moment.

by Anonymousreply 5November 8, 2016 7:20 AM

That's because you're a cunt, Erna,

by Anonymousreply 6November 8, 2016 7:28 AM

I've watched the cbs/NBC/abc coverage on YouTube and all the anchors (Rather, John Chancellor, etc) looked like they were attending a funeral procession.

I think it was Rather who said this was a mandate that the ideology of the 60s and 70s was officially dead. Clearly he didn't think that was a good thing.

If anyone has time, they're really interesting to watch.

by Anonymousreply 7November 8, 2016 8:13 AM

link r7?

by Anonymousreply 8November 8, 2016 8:14 AM

The best and saddest is Gore.

by Anonymousreply 9November 8, 2016 9:07 AM

Just when I thought Erna couldn't possibly nauseate me more...Tears of Joy for fucking Reagan? It's past your bedtime, Bonzo/R5.

I guess tears from a clown is a cliche for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 10November 8, 2016 9:34 AM

He is a man of great dignity and character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2018 5:30 PM

Remember when Hillary was too drunk and hysterical to concede before Trump delivered his victory speech? Hillary proved that politics is a man's game by her poor sportsmanship in defeat.

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2018 5:32 PM

[quote]Why so soon?

Every presidential election since 2000 has been a nail-biter, but previous elections were not. Reagan carried 43 out of 50 states in 1980, so it was immediately obvious who won.

Reagan went on to carry 49 out of 50 states in 1984. True landslides like that are unthinkable today.

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2018 5:38 PM

You're going to have to try harder, R12. Maybe there's a remedial course you could take.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2018 5:38 PM

He had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2018 5:39 PM

Who are all the right wing nut jobs invading DL this week? Like R12. The Tebow and Treason threads are full of them. Can’t all be just crackpot Erna. Glad when this Holiday Season is over.

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2018 5:41 PM

Jimmy Carter will always be my favorite president. I’ll never forget this day as I cried then and cried again at his concession speech. I turned 60 the year he he was voted out—fresh into retirement from GM living in Metro-Detroit with my now partner who ran a book store (now comic book store). My partner and I we’re just talking about Trump, and if he loses, would he share the same grace that Jimmy Carter did with Reagan in order to make this “the best transition in history”? We have our doubts and feel the last of the great presidents are behind us.

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2018 5:45 PM

Omg r17...are you in your 90s now...? Carter was voted out in like...1979

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2018 5:49 PM

Betty Ford gave the concession speech for her husband in '76 ... drunk and on dolls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2018 5:55 PM

Carter is a great humanitarian, but was one of Americas worst Presidents.

Stagnant economy, crumbling infrastructure, high inflation & he basically did shit when Iran seized our Embassy in Iran & took Americans hostage.

The hostile, aggressive, terrorist-funding Iran we see today is Carters fault

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2018 5:56 PM

I would like a news team to collect the Central Park Five and have them all together when CNN predicts that Trump has lost his re-election bid. Then they can all laugh and high five and gloat about it.

Then I’d like to do a clockwork orange thing to trump, forcing him to watch that for days, eyelids forced open.

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2018 5:58 PM

^^ Spike Lee on a meth bender

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2018 6:01 PM

Sadly no, r22.

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2018 6:03 PM

I was in high school when Carter lost, and remember thinking "Ronald Raygun" was going to start a nuclear war. I was seriously scared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2018 6:09 PM

.I'll pack your chute Rush Jr. R20

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2018 6:11 PM

He gave the Democratic establishment one last reason to hate him.

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2018 6:14 PM

[quote]Trump will probably not go down gracefully, but between "It was rigged, get your guns", and "I lost but it's not my fault, I blame everyone else", I hope it's the latter.

He will not give a concession speech. No way. He may send Ivanka to read some type of statement, which will not admit a loss.

by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2018 6:25 PM

I think He would be disastrous if Trump lost. I think people would go crazy—maybe a civil war.

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2018 6:26 PM

*it would be

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2018 6:26 PM

What do you mean "if Trump lost", R28?

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2018 6:27 PM

R20, wtf are you talking about? Carter did send a rescue mission to Iran that failed. I still think Reagan pulled an October surprise. Iran has a reason for hating the U.S..

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2018 6:33 PM

I made him do it

by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2018 6:37 PM

R32.

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2018 6:48 PM

"Trump will probably not go down gracefully, but between "It was rigged, get your guns", and "I lost but it's not my fault, I blame everyone else", I hope it's the latter. "

Sounds just like Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 34November 24, 2018 6:50 PM

[quote] Carter is a great humanitarian, but was one of Americas worst Presidents...Stagnant economy, crumbling infrastructure, high inflation & he basically did shit when Iran seized our Embassy in Iran & took Americans hostage.

At least the hostages got home alive.

My feeling these days, as I grow older, is that Presidents don’t have the influence they are thought to have. They are limited in the good things they can do, but unlimited in the mess they can cause. Witness the poorly execute wars under Dubya. Plus his tax cut for the rich.

Ditto for Trump and his withdrawals from settled treaties, trade wars, tax cut without corresponding budget cut, and over-funding the military. It’s a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 35November 24, 2018 6:57 PM

Dems need to be told to be more careful about conceding prematurely.

Gore did so, then took it back. The Dem Florida Governor conceded, then took it back just this month!

by Anonymousreply 36November 24, 2018 7:00 PM

Can you imagine Trump following custom and welcoming his winning opponent to the White House after losing the election?!

by Anonymousreply 37November 24, 2018 7:05 PM

That won’t happen, R37. I can’t imagine what would happen.

by Anonymousreply 38November 24, 2018 7:08 PM

Nancy Reagan wanted Rosalynn Carter to MOVE OUT the next day, so she could get a head start on redecorating.

by Anonymousreply 39November 24, 2018 7:12 PM

Clearly you don't remember it THAT well, R2 (or OP). The whole controversy was that Carter made his concession speech a full hour BEFORE the polls closed on the West Coast, which potentially hurt other Democrat candidates in the Pacific Time Zone. There were a couple Dem congressman in California & Oregon who lost their races by very, very narrow margins and felt the early concession speech was to blame. Carter's move pissed off many in the party.

[quote] "What in God's name is wrong with you people?" Speaker of the House Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill fumed by phone from Boston to Carter's congressional liaison, Frank Moore. When Moore told O'Neill that Carter just wanted to "get it over with," damn the western Democrats, the speaker exploded with rage, yelling, "You guys came in like a bunch of jerks, and I see you're going out the same way." Representative Tom Foley of Washington State put it more succinctly: "It was vintage Carter at its dead worst."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 24, 2018 7:13 PM

[quote]"Trump will probably not go down gracefully, but between "It was rigged, get your guns", and "I lost but it's not my fault, I blame everyone else", I hope it's the latter. "

[quote]Sounds just like Hillary.

If you weren't so blinded by your, apparently never-ending, hate for the woman you would know that she acknowledged her own mistakes. And unless you started following politics in 2016 you would remember that Clinton ended her primary defeat to Obama in 2018 in a way that united the Democratic party.

How sad that her losing in 2016 is just not enough for you. It's so bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 41November 24, 2018 7:34 PM

I'll never forget that day, it was so sad, add to that it was my 68th birthday, just a miserable way to ring in the new year!

by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2018 7:39 PM

Belated happy 106th birthday, R42!

by Anonymousreply 43November 24, 2018 7:41 PM

[quote] R37: Can you imagine Trump following custom and welcoming his winning opponent to the White House after losing the election?!

In addition, by tradition, Trump should travel by car with the winner from the White House to the Capital for the inauguration. He’d never do it. He might skip out on the WH visit, too. He’s just too much of a baby.

It’s a stupid tradition, anyway. I can understand the former President attending the inauguration, to personify the peaceful transfer of power, especially if the incumbent lost. But the car ride is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 44November 24, 2018 7:46 PM

[quote]Clinton ended her primary defeat to Obama in 2018

in 2008

by Anonymousreply 45November 24, 2018 7:51 PM

There are quite a few ultra elderly gay men on this thread. I would love to hear more from you.

by Anonymousreply 46November 24, 2018 7:52 PM

R46, it’s relative. What’s your age, and what do you think of as “elderly”?

by Anonymousreply 47November 24, 2018 7:56 PM

R47, I'm not R46, but any definition of "elderly" would have to include a 106-year old!

by Anonymousreply 48November 24, 2018 8:02 PM

It’s a piece of history to be retired when Carter conceded, and to be posting on Datalounge about it.

by Anonymousreply 49November 24, 2018 8:04 PM

Some of his accomplishments

He brokered the Camp-David Accords, ending a long war between Israel and Egypt. He pardoned every single conscientious objector from the Vietnam war. He created both the Department of Education and the Department of Energy. HE DIDN'T GO TO WAR! Promoted human rights globally. He signed SALT II, which while not effective, was a symbolic victory for peace. Continued what Ford and Nixon did and established Diplomatic relations with China.

Jimmy Carter is the most underrated president since Chester Arthur.

by Anonymousreply 50November 24, 2018 8:07 PM

Really, R48?

by Anonymousreply 51November 24, 2018 8:07 PM

I was in the east, but I remember my friends in California protesting that Carter conceded before the CA, WA, OR, HI, and Alaska polls closed

by Anonymousreply 52November 24, 2018 8:12 PM

Mandate my ass!

by Anonymousreply 53November 24, 2018 8:49 PM

It was the Russians.

by Anonymousreply 54November 24, 2018 8:55 PM

So weird he'd concede before polls closed. Couldn't he wait until 1 minute after?

by Anonymousreply 55November 25, 2018 6:18 PM

[quote] Trump should travel by car with the winner from the White House to the Capital for the inauguration.

Oh, dear.

The CAPITOL is a building in the CAPITAL. (And so is the White House.)

by Anonymousreply 56November 25, 2018 7:41 PM

R56, do you know the history of the distinction between the two spellings? It is perhaps the least useful distinction I know of.

by Anonymousreply 57November 25, 2018 7:59 PM

Everything he touched turned to shit. Plus in private he's a nasty little man.

by Anonymousreply 58November 25, 2018 8:07 PM

Bravo, r20. r50, Camp David was one of the very worst events in American history. Why does the United States, and only the United States, have to pour billions, yes and trillions of dollars into the Middle East to suppress the Palestinian people and prop up some of the most repressive regimes in history. Rosalind Carter told a big lie concerning Billy and his lobbying for for the murderous Colonel Qadaffi ofLibya. Carter had the idea that we had to remove dictators friendly to the US regardless of the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 59November 25, 2018 8:13 PM

[quote]"Trump will probably not go down gracefully, but between "It was rigged, get your guns", and "I lost but it's not my fault, I blame everyone else", I hope it's the latter. "

[quote]Sounds just like Hillary.

Actually it sounds more like the us intelligence establishment, which concluded that the Russians helped to sabotage Hillary’s campaign.

Oh and even Trump himself said, in 2012, that losing a presidential election when winning the popular vote was an outrage and the people should rise up because of it.

Hardly a litany of excuses then, unlike what we’ll get when Trump gets drubbed in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 60November 25, 2018 8:18 PM

HI HILLARY!

by Anonymousreply 61November 25, 2018 8:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!