Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Paul Sand

He's a Tony-winning actor, but nothing he did for film on TV seemed to catch on. His MTM Productions sitcom ran 13 weeks only to be replaced by [italic]The Jeffersons[/italic] which ran a decade, and none of the established shows that hired him, whether [italic]St. Elsewhere[/italic] or [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic], used him for very long.

And then of course there was his role in [italic]Can't Stop the Music[/italic] as a Neil Bogart wannabe. That has actually gotten him some roles in gay-themed films since then. Is he family?

by Anonymousreply 17April 4, 2020 4:44 PM

I remember him guest starring on many shows in the 70s and 80s. I think particularly in the 70s and 80s, TV actors had to be likable or relatable to work in sitcoms or most dramas. Or the actor had to have some original take on a villain, like Larry Hagman in Dallas, with the character of J.R. Ewing being the man America loved to hate. Sand never exhibited any of these qualities. He always came off as annoying to me, even in one-off guest roles. Annoying never worked in TV in those days.

by Anonymousreply 1October 27, 2016 5:14 PM

[quote]Annoying never worked in TV in those days.

It bought me four years on a syndicated sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 2October 27, 2016 5:21 PM

[quote]his role in Can't Stop the Music as a Neil Bogart wannabe

Ah, shit, you're right -- I didn't catch that his character was basically Bogart.

I really like Paul Sand but he had such a unique look and mannerisms that there wasn't much you could do with him other than use him sparingly.

by Anonymousreply 3October 27, 2016 5:28 PM

[quote]Ah, shit, you're right -- I didn't catch that his character was basically Bogart.

Just like everything else in that ode to carb-and-cocaine-fueled Carter-era excess, they weren't even subtle about it. He actually said, "who do you think I am, Neil Bogart?"

by Anonymousreply 4October 27, 2016 5:36 PM

I liked Friends & Lovers. I only watched TV on Saturday nights.

by Anonymousreply 5October 27, 2016 6:09 PM

I loved Paul Sand in Friends and Lovers. That was the title, with his name in it. I don't know why. People were always saying Paul Sands in Friend and Lover instead. I remember the episode with Andrea Marcovicci as a ballerina. I don't know why.

by Anonymousreply 6October 27, 2016 7:21 PM

[quote]they weren't even subtle about it

They probably could have typed it up and sent it to me certified mail and I wouldn't have caught the reference; the one and only time I saw it, I was pretty wasted.

by Anonymousreply 7October 27, 2016 7:23 PM

I only know him as the recast for coach Finstock in Teen Wolf Too (1987).

by Anonymousreply 8April 4, 2020 1:03 PM

It shows how times have changed that back in the 70s none of his roles referenced that he is Latino.

by Anonymousreply 9April 4, 2020 1:49 PM

I saw Paul Sand in the cast of “Paul Sills Story Theatre,” on Broadway in 1970, which he won both the Tony and Drama Desk awards. He was very funny, the kind of working character actor I once aspired to be. I wasn’t aware of his TV work, since I’ve never watched sitcoms much. (Never liked being told when to laugh.)

Maybe 10 years later, when I worked at the Plaza Hotel, answering phones in Room Service, he called down for breakfast. Nice enough, but on the whiny side. Came on to me over the phone. (Guess I have gay voice.) But I wasn’t interested.

by Anonymousreply 10April 4, 2020 2:38 PM

I first saw him in a tv show, Fairytale Theatre (?). Thought he was adorable. Sort of a dark haired, slimmer Gene Wilder. He was also in a Robert Redford movie whose name escapes me totally; maybe some of you folks will remember. He was unusual looking but I think he was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 11April 4, 2020 2:45 PM

From 2018. He looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 4, 2020 2:50 PM

OP = Paul

by Anonymousreply 13April 4, 2020 3:05 PM

r10 So you didn't want to go pound Sand?

by Anonymousreply 14April 4, 2020 3:07 PM

Sand played a bumbling IRS accountant who audits Mary Richards and falls for her in the first season of the Mary Tyler Moore Show. He was endearing in his shy pursuit of her, and was awarded with a date and a sweet little kiss from Mary.

Of course, he was never seen or mentioned again in the series. Mary was such a prick tease.

His performance led to his own series, Paul Sand in Friends and Lovers, that didn't last one season and was produced by the MTM production company. It was one of their few failures.

by Anonymousreply 15April 4, 2020 3:18 PM

Never saw his appeal, and found it odd that Grant Tinker though it would be a good idea to build a show around him. He played the same character in everything I've seen him in: Woody Allen "lite."

by Anonymousreply 16April 4, 2020 4:23 PM

r12....Damn straight he looks good....hes 87 in that photo

by Anonymousreply 17April 4, 2020 4:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!