Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New episodes of Black Mirror

This is really an odd little show. Reminds me of a futuristic Twilight Zone.

by Anonymousreply 89August 12, 2019 1:13 PM

I love this show. Love it. I started the new season but stopped because Netflix went down in this morning's cyberattack. What I saw was good. Bryce Dallas Howard living in a Her-esque dystopia where everyone's rated by social media. I'll likely finish it tonight.

My favorite episode is the one with Toby Kebbell. "The Entire History of You" I think it's called.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2016 3:41 AM

I'm watching that one now R1.

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2016 3:55 AM

Just saw the Bryce Dallas Howard one. Excellent.

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2016 3:58 AM

I just watched Season 1, Episode 1. The Prime Minister of Britain fucks a pig to save a kidnapped princess? Now that's an out there storyline! I'll check out some of the other episodes. So far I'm intrigued. Why haven't I heard about this show more? I heard a story on NPR the other day, and some of my favorite TV critics have mentioned it in the last week, but I don't recall hearing about it until this year.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2016 4:15 AM

That's a good one R4.

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2016 4:18 AM

James Norton's in episode 3.1 as Bryce Dallas Howard's brother. Super cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2016 11:38 AM

Just finished the second episode. Devastating and excellent, mainly due to Wyatt Russell's performance!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2016 2:35 PM

Russell's a better actor than I gave him credit for. Creepy episode though I think I preferred the Bryce Dallas Howard one - very, very clever and original.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2016 10:49 PM

This could possibly be the best show on TV and judging by the first episode of the Netflix season it has certainly not peaked yet. Genius.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2016 6:47 AM

I thought Russell was dreadful; one note, dialed to 11 the entire episode. It was exhausting. I liked the one with the lesbian couple.

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2016 7:02 AM

The lesbian couple episode made me tear up and I felt so much empathy for the protagonist in the social media episode.

The others were good but I didn't enjoy them as much.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2016 10:30 AM

I've always liked Bryce Dallas Howard, but never knew she was THAT good. She was excellent. That episode was great, and James Norton--bonus!

My least favorite was the one with the soldiers, but it was pretty good. The one with Goldie and Kurt's son was the scariest. I think the lesbian one was the best. Many tv series and movies try to capture that 80s vibe, but I think this was one of the most successful--the music, the clothes, the cinematography all seemed like an authentic 80s movie.

I wish I hadn't "binged" it so fast. I hate that there are only 6 episodes!

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2016 5:28 PM

Really thought this season as a whole was outstanding. There were some episodes I liked better than others but none was a disappointment.

Never been much of a fan of Bryce Dallas Howard but she was great. Loved that episode, loved the message, and especially loved the design of it. The dreamy pastel look of the near future was beautiful.

I think my favorite episode of the lot was San Junipero. I had a pretty emotional response that I didn't even expect from myself.

Even though it's fiction, Black Mirror always leaves me with quite a lot to think about as we move closer and closer to seeing some of these concepts become reality.

by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2016 11:40 AM

Just read that the Bryce Dallas Howard episode - Nosedive - was written by Michael Schur (creator of Parks and Rec) and Rashida Jones.

by Anonymousreply 14October 24, 2016 11:59 AM

R14 It was! I was surprised to see their name in the credits, but it sort of made sense because I thought the episode was legitimately funny. I mean, the undercurrent is dark, but the absurd way in which everything unfolds is undoubtedly comedic, and yes Bryce knocks it out of the park.

"San Junipero" was beautifully shot and a complete tonal shift from the rest of the season. I thought the performances were fantastic, and that was the first time I'd seen the highly lauded Gugu Mbatha-Raw. Thought she was excellent.

"Shut Up and Dance" was devastating, and I thought Alex Lawther was exceptional. He was also great as the young Alan Turing in Imitation Game. I see a lot of these types of characters from him. He makes them empathetic.

"Men Against Fire" was alright. I have one more episode to go!

R13 China basically wants "Nosedive" to happen in its society.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 24, 2016 12:09 PM

The episode with Bryce Dallas Howard (I think it the first one) was beyond boring. I turned it off after the first half because it just that bad. TV Guide's critic said that was the worst episode of the series, so maybe I'll try watching the rest.

by Anonymousreply 16October 24, 2016 12:14 PM

R16 the Bryce Dallas Howard episode was excellent. It was so creepy/funny. Loved the interaction between her character and the brother. Totally believable hostile sibling interaction.

by Anonymousreply 17October 24, 2016 12:35 PM

My favorite was eps. 6, "The Hatred of the Nation". LOVE Kelly McDonald, whom I haven't seen since "Boardwalk Empire".

by Anonymousreply 18October 24, 2016 3:11 PM

Eps. 1: with CHERRY JONES as the most grounded woman in the universe!

by Anonymousreply 19October 24, 2016 3:11 PM

The one with anonymous hacking people and making them do thing or they'll release the video/photos was literally horrifying. Because THAT shit could happen TODAY.

by Anonymousreply 20October 24, 2016 4:48 PM

I'm late to this show. Binged seasons 1 and 2 over the weekend (not hard, it was only six episodes total, plus a 90 minute "Christmas Special").

It's so well done, but it's very difficult watching at points. Very disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2016 6:32 PM

The one from Season 1 involving the people stuck cycling for credits and escaping by going on some reality talent show was disturbing to me for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 22October 24, 2016 6:36 PM

Because we already are half-way there, R22.

by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2016 8:54 PM

I watched the episode about the two lesbians who were

SPOILER ALERT

dead. Depressing as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 24October 26, 2016 12:11 AM

"Fifteen Million Merits" (S1, Ep. 2) was great. Very dark. It actually caused me to stop watching reality TV. Rupert Everett was good as a future Simon Cowell type creature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 26, 2016 12:16 AM

Interesting, R16. New York Magazine (Vulture) says Bryce Dallas Howard's episode is the second-best episode. I saw it, and thought it was great. It's motivated me to avoid Facebook; I don't want to contribute to creating a world like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 26, 2016 12:18 AM

Just saw the first ep of season 3. Blew. me. away. I don't remember liking earlier eps nearly as much. I know I've seen earlier seasons, maybe all, had favorites, saved those files I downloaded possibly. The word "brilliant" might be thrown around too much, but what else could you say season 3, ep 1? The way it's whimsical but dizzying, and then 1984 horrifying. All candy coated with the awesome production design. Bravo! I was nervous her shawl would drop during the kitchen chat, and it'd spiral her beneath 2.5. I thought the wedding was a Carrie-type trap, and it did have that poignancy in a different way. It's such a relief to watch as show you don't have to make any effort to like, it forces you to like it. I can't even watch any more season 3 eps yet, the first one is so much to digest.

by Anonymousreply 27October 27, 2016 5:16 AM

r26 I totally agree, I was hesitant to watch it but goddamn if she didn't knock it out of the park! Just the right combo of sycophant, and desperate and then finally rightfully angry...She was awesome as was the ticket agent.

by Anonymousreply 28October 27, 2016 5:22 AM

I dig it. It's very subversive and cutting. Technology is rapidly driving us into a lot of hysteria and unknown territory. I just watched one with Oliver Hudson that was great. I also really like the special episode with Jon Hamm. All of the episodes manage to get under your skin.

by Anonymousreply 29October 27, 2016 5:48 AM

Sorry, it was Wyatt Russell. It was great.

by Anonymousreply 30October 27, 2016 5:50 AM

Finally saw the lesbian one.... Season 3 episode 4.

Fucking amazing.

Devastating.

Brilliant.

I cried.

by Anonymousreply 31October 29, 2016 5:42 PM

[quote]Toby Kebbell.

So hot. He always looks all pissed off and sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 29, 2016 6:35 PM

Finally finished it all. I can't wait for season 4 now.

This show is really, really well done.

by Anonymousreply 33October 31, 2016 2:28 AM

Truly excellent, and under-rated. It should be more popular.

by Anonymousreply 34October 31, 2016 6:59 PM

Are the earlier eps really as good? Or are critics saying it's better than ever?

by Anonymousreply 35October 31, 2016 7:01 PM

Well, depends on your taste really. Each episode is completely different. You might like some more than others.

I thought it was consistently brilliant. Though my favorite episode was the lesbian episode (Season 3 episode 4), there were no bad episodes.

I binged Seasons 1 and 2 in one weekend, and season 3 in the subsequent weekend. There's only 3 episodes in season 1, 3 in season 2 (plus a Christmas special, so 4), and 6 in season 3.

by Anonymousreply 36October 31, 2016 11:01 PM

Good show. I am enjoying.

by Anonymousreply 37October 31, 2016 11:54 PM

Season 3 isn't as strong for me as the previous seasons, I think because of the fewer downbeat endings.

As Op pointed out, "The Entire History of You" is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 38November 1, 2016 3:29 AM

I thought the episode starring Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell's son was scary--even scarier than current horror movies around. And I also think Wyatt Russell will be a big star. He's got his mother's talent and his father's looks.

by Anonymousreply 39November 6, 2016 6:48 AM

Because of this thread I'd thought I give Black Mirror first two seasons a try. The ones that stood out for me were the one with the woman being chased by hunters while people watch and film her (that ending. Wow!) and the one with the animated character running for Prime Minister. There is this perverse, sick and twisted humor in the show I like (like the first one in season one where the Prime Minister is supposed to fuck a pig).

I know it's superficial, but what made me love the show more is geeking out about knowing some of the actors from other shows. For example Hannah John-Kamen (Killjoys) has a blink and you miss it cameo as a Reality TV contestant in the 15 Million Merits episode.

by Anonymousreply 40November 6, 2016 7:11 AM

This is like the new Twilight Zone. I like that each episode is a different story with different actors and am pleasantly surprised to see actors play against type, like James Norton as an American frat boy and slob.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 6, 2016 7:54 AM

Season 4 starts in January????

by Anonymousreply 42November 6, 2016 8:36 AM

R42 That's soon. Where'd you hear that?

by Anonymousreply 43November 6, 2016 8:38 AM

Netflix had ordered 12 episodes but only played 6 in October. I'm surprised the seasons are so short.

by Anonymousreply 44November 6, 2016 8:46 AM

R44- That's the Brits for you. A season could be as little as 3 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 45November 6, 2016 2:47 PM

Wait so 6 more episodes in January? That'd be awesome but going from 3/4 a year to 12 might affect it negatively. Make it peak sooner.

by Anonymousreply 46November 6, 2016 3:51 PM

Best show on TV right now.

Every time I take an Uber and have to rate the driver (who I know is also rating me) I think of the first episode this season.

by Anonymousreply 47November 6, 2016 4:01 PM

yeah, The Fall was only 6 episodes also. When I watched Season 3, I completely forgot about what happened in Season 2 since a whole year had passed.

by Anonymousreply 48November 6, 2016 5:56 PM

Just finished watching the first three episodes of season 3. The show is really something. I thought he first one was rather comical than dark or sinister, but the second freaked the shit out of me and the third was just amazing. The terror, the fear, the chain of guys, being blackmailed, working hand in hand to exectute some devious scheme and then the end of that very episode. Wow. Amazingly well done and like a previous poster pointed out each episode is different and yet there's not really a filler or bad one amongst them.

I think Netlix is kicking HBO's ass in a big way.

by Anonymousreply 49November 6, 2016 8:14 PM

R49, episode 4 is my favorite episode of the entire season so far.

by Anonymousreply 50November 6, 2016 10:26 PM

You know a show's special when people on DL love it.

by Anonymousreply 51November 6, 2016 10:39 PM

This show is amazing. San Junipero was beautiful and the actresses (especially Gugu) were outstanding.

So many of these are like short films, they are so good. I hope they keep the seasons short because adding episodes almost always affects quality.

by Anonymousreply 52November 6, 2016 10:59 PM

The nerdy kid was a pedophile. Shocked the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 53November 6, 2016 11:13 PM

R53, that was the brilliance of the episode... how horrifying it was what was being done to these people... who were horrifying for what they did.

by Anonymousreply 54November 7, 2016 12:23 AM

I have tried to only watch one episode a week to help spread them out and appreciate them more since this is something truly special... I am in awe of what they did with S3 Ep4. San Junipero. Unbelievably atmospheric, moving and memorable. Masterpiece.

I have a feeling Bryce will be the one recognized come awards season, but Gugu was positively breathtaking. A perfect performance.

10/10.

by Anonymousreply 55November 7, 2016 3:52 AM

I'd LOVE some Emmy consideration for Bryce and Gugu. The entire show deserves attention as well.

by Anonymousreply 56November 7, 2016 4:37 AM

r54, that's the kind of twists I like. It's very similar to an other episode called White Bear.

Dark Mirror really makes you think about all the technical advantages and where they might lead us.

by Anonymousreply 57November 7, 2016 6:22 AM

I thought the first one of season 3 was the best. In the other seasons, I watched them all at least twice - they were fantastic. Everyone loved San Junipero on here, but I thought it was kind of dragged out. Actually, this season - all of the episodes felt like they went on longer than previously, before the "reveal" or whatever twist they were gonna throw in.

I have to check my uber rating.

by Anonymousreply 58November 7, 2016 6:52 AM

Yeah, r58- I believe the "Hated in the Nation " was over an hour and a half.. most episodes are around an 45 minutes to an hour. I was also wondering why Blue didn't dye her hair or wear glasses, because surely Garrett (or anyone else) would have recognized her. He even altered his appearance.

by Anonymousreply 59November 8, 2016 4:44 PM

"Hated in the Nation" is kind of foretelling....every time we mess with nature, it comes back to bite us in the ass. Aren't they engineering a mosquito hybrid to combat the Zika virus?

The CGI and production values in this series is outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 60November 9, 2016 4:16 AM

I feel like after tonight we're all living in an episode of Black Mirror.

by Anonymousreply 61November 9, 2016 9:19 AM

Except that Trump wouldn't have a problem fucking a pig on live TV if it got him ratings. And more than half the country wouldn't either.

by Anonymousreply 62November 9, 2016 3:37 PM

Trump would NEVER fuck a pig, because in the BM episode the Prime Minister was blackmailed into doing it or the kidnapper would have killed a beloved member of the British Royalty (and the PM's approval rating would have nosedived). Trump doesn't give a flying fuck about anyone and that includes his own kids or his wife or his approval rating.

by Anonymousreply 63November 9, 2016 5:00 PM

Episode 5 prominently features DL fave Michael Kelly (HOUSE OF CARDS), as a manipulative mindfucker dressed like a hipper Mr. Rogers. He's awesome.

by Anonymousreply 64November 9, 2016 6:29 PM

Trump is the pig. Melania has to fuck him. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 65November 10, 2016 10:12 AM

I am late but just finished season 3. The episode that stayed with me the most was "Shut Up and Dance" so well executed. You follow it along as this relatable protagonist is being forced to do these things but then how dark it goes and the twist, just brilliant writing and acting. I was in awe how well they pulled off that episode.

by Anonymousreply 66December 16, 2016 4:50 AM

"Nosedive" is INCREDIBLE. And Bryce finally got the part and the piece to show everyone that she's a contender for real. The moment after she does the practice speech for the wedding at home to her brother--and his response is--"you fucking psychopath"--full-on genius. Hilarious and exactly right. The tone, the design, the music, the script, all the performances--it knocked me out. Excited to watch more of them.

by Anonymousreply 67December 16, 2016 10:47 AM

Loved Nosedive. It was the best episode they've ever done and Bryce is a great actress. She needs to get better roles.

by Anonymousreply 68December 16, 2016 3:09 PM

Surprised to see so much love for "Nosedive", I found it find but it wouldn't be among my favorite Black Mirror episodes.

by Anonymousreply 69December 16, 2016 4:59 PM

fine*

by Anonymousreply 70December 16, 2016 4:59 PM

In Nosedive I love the stone cold taxi driver (clearly a Datalounger) who starts the lead's downfall. All that fake laughter rehearsing in his cab*lol*.

by Anonymousreply 71December 16, 2016 5:11 PM

Even more lesbians? LOL. Why is it that 9 out of 10 times they add LGBT it's always a lesbian? Never gay men. I'm so sick of it.

by Anonymousreply 72December 16, 2016 7:48 PM

Bryce got a SAG nom for Nosedive!

by Anonymousreply 73December 16, 2016 7:56 PM

R73 that's great and she deserves it. Now every time I fret about how many twitter followers I've got and get offers to promote shit to get more followers, I think of that damn show.

by Anonymousreply 74December 17, 2016 1:25 AM

Trailer for Season 4, revealing the episode titles for the six episodes.

The new season will probably drop sometime in October.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 26, 2017 3:20 PM

Can't wait. One of the best shows currently on air. And I learned about it waaay before it went to Netflix, thanks to the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 76August 26, 2017 3:28 PM

Promo pic.

I spy Michaela Coel from Chewing Gum and Jesse Plemons from Other People. The guy behind Jesse looks familiar. I swear I googled him just today when I was looking up names from that "Are you famous?" thread...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77September 7, 2017 5:57 PM

Netflix promotes season 4 of Black Mirror with a trailer for Arkangel, a Jodie Foster-directed episode about the dangers of overparenting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 26, 2017 10:57 AM

Final trailer for the season, which airs on December 29th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 6, 2017 2:55 PM

All of the episodes are now out. Great binge for the weekend!

by Anonymousreply 80December 29, 2017 11:43 AM

Yay

by Anonymousreply 81December 29, 2017 12:24 PM

No comments??? I'm watching the first episode and seems good so far.

by Anonymousreply 82December 31, 2017 9:36 PM

R82 We've been discussing the new season in a new thread!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 31, 2017 9:38 PM

Thanks, R83!

by Anonymousreply 84December 31, 2017 9:42 PM

Do they still have lesbians but ZERO gay men?

by Anonymousreply 85December 31, 2017 10:28 PM

R85 Yes, no gay men in this season either.

by Anonymousreply 86December 31, 2017 10:32 PM

Possible closeted gay men in last season's "Nosedive".

But that's really all I recall.

It'll be to the point that if the next season has no gay men and especially continues lesbianism, I'll call out agenda on part of Brooker (or more).

by Anonymousreply 87December 31, 2017 11:16 PM

The show went to shit when Netflix bought it.

by Anonymousreply 88December 31, 2017 11:20 PM

r20 that's because it is already happening. There was a news story about a Swedish guy that was catfished over 100 teenagers and young men. Unlike, that BM episode, these kids did nothing wrong besides jerking off to a fake cam girl. That guy blackmailed those kids for additional videos and even forced a few of them to have sex with him. He'd threaten to post their videos and send them to their friends. He ended up posting them anyway on porn sites, kids from all over Europe. This is a very big issue and the reason that everyone should keep their computer's camera covered. Every video chat can be recorded.

by Anonymousreply 89August 12, 2019 1:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!