Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Exorcist (TV series)

Is it supposed to be any good? It looks scary from the previews, although all the work done on Geena Davis's face makes her look bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 70May 12, 2018 12:19 AM

It seems the pilot was underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 1September 22, 2016 6:50 AM

Gena Davis face is disturbing. Too much work done? Not enough?

The priest is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 2September 22, 2016 7:07 AM

The premiere is Friday, isn't it? I just googled it. Was it released early online? I would've downloaded it but I don't remember watching it. I'm sure I would've remembered watching something with Gena, I haven't seen it.

by Anonymousreply 3September 22, 2016 8:42 AM

Linda Blair guest stars for November sweeps. Regan is now married and lives in Scarsdale with her three kids.

by Anonymousreply 4September 22, 2016 9:42 AM

I'd love to see Blair make an appearance but considering how batshit crazy she is producers won't have the guts to hire her. And TV-series these days seem to be targeted mostly at stupid young people who have no idea who Linda Blair is.

by Anonymousreply 5September 22, 2016 10:10 AM

She used to be in movies, but she's not in movies anymore. She's attractive enough but when she smiles you see too much gum. Not a good tooth-to-gum ratio.

by Anonymousreply 6September 22, 2016 2:34 PM

The network should have revamped it as a comedy.

by Anonymousreply 7September 22, 2016 3:04 PM

Bro beans R7 nailed it like a two dollar whore. There was a movie parody of that shite. Father Mayii? Yes, you may

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 22, 2016 3:40 PM

Is she really crazy?

She had a bit of a resurgence when she appeared on Supernatural awhile back.

I know she had her drug issues in the past but now she is clean, vegan and is heavy into animal rescue.

If they ever do a true Exorcist sequel then they need to make it a low key drama. Get Blair, Burstyn, Winn back. Treat it seriously...not the hoot that The Heretic was. Perhaps have Blair's kid or even young grandkid start exhibiting signs of possession... or is it just mental illness? Have Burstyn be a washed up old actress battling the bottle, etc...

by Anonymousreply 9September 22, 2016 3:45 PM

I'll never forget the original movie. It scarred my mind even though I've seen it dozens of times.

by Anonymousreply 10September 22, 2016 4:15 PM

Blair didn't have a drug problem, she had a drug criminalization problem. She did coke, big whoop. It was stupid getting caught ruined her career, although poor movie choices couldn't have helped either. But 10 yrs after Exorcist it was slashers and then straight to video slashers.

by Anonymousreply 11September 22, 2016 4:36 PM

Was Blair really talented? Child stars often lose their talent when they grow up.

I love the original Exorcist. I couldn't watch it until I was and adult. I read an article in Newsweek about the phenomena and couldn't sleep for a couple of years. My parents almost took me to a therapist.

by Anonymousreply 12September 22, 2016 6:46 PM

i used to sleep with the lights on after seeing the movie on tv when i was 10.

by Anonymousreply 13September 22, 2016 9:35 PM

Blair also did those tv movies - Born Young (?) where Larry Hagman played her father and she got raped with a mop. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 14September 23, 2016 9:25 AM

61% on metacritic, fresh, so it can't be that bad, a total disaster. I'm downloading it now.

by Anonymousreply 15September 24, 2016 2:26 AM

I read the Blatty book as a teen, and it scared me deeply. I didn't see the movie until the re-release came out and honestly it didn't scare me practically at all. The scariest thing about the whole movie were the medical tests at the hospital. I do remember thinking it was a well enough made film, though, but other horror movies had done demonic horror way better. To me personally The Ring and Paranormal Activity were many times more scarier.

So in that sense I'm not quite sure what to expect from the show. I just finished watching the pilot and well, it wasn't really scary (although I'm sure it was to some people). I do like Geena Davis but it's really Herrera and Daniels that piqued my interest. Herrera is obviously a hottie and Daniels, even though getting on in years, is still very nice. I've always enjoyed his work. I'm afraid we probably won't be getting any real homoeroticism, especially since Herrera's Father Ortega was already suggested to like women too much. Still, these guys did a great job and it was a pleasure to watch their acting.

Many are probably wondering how does The Exorcist compare to Damien from last spring. Well, the jury's still out on that. The production values seem to be a bit higher here and the overall mood is slightly different, like it was in the movies as well. At this point I'd say The Exorcist is slightly more mature.

I'll be returning next week since I've noticed I do enjoy the creepy atmosphere these kinds of shows have. And obviously for the Herrera/Daniels combo as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 24, 2016 4:24 AM

Linda Blair is also a Scientologist.

by Anonymousreply 17September 24, 2016 12:01 PM

I thought the pilot was leading up to the oldest daughter being possessed. But it appears it will be the younger one.

by Anonymousreply 18September 24, 2016 12:03 PM

[quote] If they ever do a true Exorcist sequel then they need to make it a low key drama. Get Blair, Burstyn, Winn back. Treat it seriously...not the hoot that The Heretic was. Perhaps have Blair's kid or even young grandkid start exhibiting signs of possession... or is it just mental illness? Have Burstyn be a washed up old actress battling the bottle, etc...

That's a cool idea: Chris Macneil is an old alcoholic appearing in an Off-Broadway production of On Golden Pond when Regan and her teenage daughter unexpectedly visit her in NYC. After the daughter starts acting weirdly and puking all over the place (and after they rule out the drugs and food poisoning) they quickly send for Max Von Sydow, who actually survived the first movie (father Karras never really checked his pulse in the first movie). But this time he has a job twice as harder - he has to save Regan's daughter from the devil and to get Chris to drop the wine bottle and get her groove back. To keep this sequel consistent with the first one Max von Sydow will have to wear a bit of old age make-up, so he will now appear to be around 121.

by Anonymousreply 19September 24, 2016 12:16 PM

Nobody told me Linda Blair and Gina Davis were related. Now I really want to watch this to see how they vibe off each other especially in the possession scenes.

by Anonymousreply 20September 24, 2016 12:45 PM

The Times reviewed it and said it's better than Damien and a promising series. I think they only previewed the first episode though.

by Anonymousreply 21September 24, 2016 12:50 PM

Well, that's true enough. It's definitely better than Damien, but... still not sure it's all that great. There's definite promise here, but no idea if that promise will be realized.

At least it's not "Possession of the week".

by Anonymousreply 22September 24, 2016 5:04 PM

[quote] I know she had her drug issues in the past but now she is clean, vegan and is heavy into animal rescue.

Sounds perfectly sane to me!

by Anonymousreply 23September 24, 2016 5:14 PM

The first episode was pretty damn good. Scary shit, especially the attic scene.

by Anonymousreply 24September 25, 2016 5:42 PM

Apparently the ratings are bad, This is bad news because, I'm intrigued after the first episode too.

by Anonymousreply 25September 26, 2016 5:32 AM

Ben Daniels is pretty sexy for a 52 year old. He's also openly gay, and when of the few big British stage actors who has yet to establish himself as a film or TV presence.

Herrera is very handsome and a decent actor.

The best art of the pilot was the crow smashing through the window and bleeding to death on the Bible. That was really scary.

by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2016 6:43 AM

R26, I know Daniels [italic]only[/italic] from films and tv. He's done loads of tv work over the years. I remember knowing his face well already in 1997 when he did that desert film with a leopard. I guess he could be a bigger star but I doubt The Exorcist will make him one.

It's interesting to see will the low ratings affect the show. I never even thought this kind of tv show would get high ratings.

by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2016 11:02 PM

Does ANY show on Friday get good ratings?

by Anonymousreply 28September 27, 2016 4:16 AM

r28 - Yes. America's Next Top Model did in its hay day.

by Anonymousreply 29September 27, 2016 12:14 PM

Your mother sux cox in hell is my favorite line EVAH!

by Anonymousreply 30September 30, 2016 5:39 PM

[quote]Linda Blair is also a Scientologist.

And she used to bang Rick James!

by Anonymousreply 31September 30, 2016 5:42 PM

I really enjoyed the first episode and I think it looks promising but they really should move it from Friday night to earlier in the week for better ratings.

by Anonymousreply 32September 30, 2016 5:54 PM

Should've gone to Netflix. Who thought it would be a good idea to sale that to a non-cable network?

by Anonymousreply 33September 30, 2016 5:56 PM

A solid second episode. I think they're hinting Daniels' character is gay, or at least I'm hoping they are. Two priests certainly have a connection although that's sort of a given when we're talking about the men of the cloth. The massacre at the end was surprisingly brutal. Nice.

I'm still mostly drawn to the Daniels/Herrera relationship but I'm starting to enjoy other parts as well.

by Anonymousreply 34October 1, 2016 8:25 AM

Too much animal violence. Also, should not be on a network.

by Anonymousreply 35October 1, 2016 10:45 AM

R35, was there violence against animals in last night's episode? I only remember the humans being slaughtered. In any case all animals seem to be 3D so real animals are not getting hurt. Thankfully Hollywood is very strict about it these days.

by Anonymousreply 36October 1, 2016 11:56 AM

Alfonso Herrera is hot as fuck.

Meanwhile, did demons possess Geena Davis's face to make it look that way?

And Alan Ruck, you will always be Ferris Bueller's best friend Cam to me.

by Anonymousreply 37October 4, 2016 10:12 AM

Yeah, it's actually kind of hard to think of Alan Ruck as anything else, R37. He's oddly miscast in this, and btw, wtf is wrong with him?

The show does seem to have some potential, although I don't really see how it doesn't run out of steam after a few more episodes. The jury is still out on Geena Davis. Her face is frozen solid, and it's impossible to determine if she has any emotion.

by Anonymousreply 38October 4, 2016 1:11 PM

[quote] And Alan Ruck, you will always be Ferris Bueller's best friend Cam to me.

He's been in loads of other stuff over the years. I saw Bueller ages ago and don't even remember Ruck from it.

by Anonymousreply 39October 5, 2016 4:50 AM

Does it has the Tubelar Bells music like the movie does?

by Anonymousreply 40October 10, 2016 11:26 PM

They've made clear the ripped British priest is gay (or so the demon possessing the younger daughter said). He is pretty hot, although he's stopped flirting with the handsome Hispanic priest who looks like a young Antonio Banderas.

Geena Davis's awful face work continues to distract.

It reached a high point of scariness a few episodes back when the possessed daughter attacked the molestor on the subway. Since then it's been a little dull, although the crushing of the ambulance from within was pretty frightening.

by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2016 12:50 AM

OMG, they revealed Geena Davis's character is Regan ManNeil under an assumed name... and they brought in SHARON GLESS (!!!) to play Chris MacNeil... wearing Max von Sydow's hat from the movie!!!

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2016 12:59 AM

That was an excellent twist. I can't wait to see the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2016 1:07 AM

I'm digging this show...looking forward to the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2016 1:15 AM

ENOUGH of the fucking "Exorcist" already! First there was the original movie. Then there was the ghastly sequel "The Heretic." Then there was "The Exorcist III", which was a film adaptation of William Peter Blatty's novel "Legion." It was meh. There was "Repossessed", a stupid comedy featuring an obviously desperate for work Linda Blair. And then there was "Exorcist: The Beginning", a prequel starring Stellan Skarsgard as a young Lankester Merrin. It was also meh. And now this fucking tv series. How long is Hollywood going to keep beating this dead horse? It's so BORING.

by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2016 1:17 AM

It's amazing to me they couldn't get Ellen Burstyn to play Chris MacNeil (what else does she have to do these days? and she's still a working actress), but on the other hand they would never have been able to keep it a secret.

Sharon Gless is only 13 years older than Davis, and ten years younger than Burstyn, so that will seem a bit odd.

by Anonymousreply 46October 24, 2016 1:18 AM

Its not the worst thing on television.

by Anonymousreply 47October 24, 2016 1:42 AM

it's BORING AS HELL. CAN'T WAIT TIL IT'S CANCELLED.

by Anonymousreply 48October 25, 2016 12:31 PM

Wrong, R48. It's a great show, and sadly under-rated. I love it. Really good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 49November 4, 2017 1:36 AM

The old guys are making out!! YAY!!!!!!

Now that was a good screen kiss. Damn!

by Anonymousreply 50November 4, 2017 1:56 AM

Love this show. It’s so good and not too gory.

by Anonymousreply 51November 4, 2017 2:00 AM

What old guys were making out?

by Anonymousreply 52December 1, 2017 11:13 AM

The priest and that wildlife official, when they were on the boat. And it was proper smacking as well; none of that light pecking we saw on American Horror Story this season.

Though I was kinda miffed that the kiss came right after the priest had an emotional breakthrough. That could give an impression that the other guy was taking advantage of him and that this is what happens when men open up to each other. I'm glad it was established that the priest was gay in the first season already, but I completely missed that. In any case, better not kiss anyone right after they had the mother of all revelations about their life. It's just a good solid rule to live by.

by Anonymousreply 53December 1, 2017 12:42 PM

In the same week, we've seen two older men make out (on The Exorcist), and two hot out gay men playing out hot gay super heroes make out (on The Flash).

And neither even really made any news or ripples.

My how times have changed.

by Anonymousreply 54December 3, 2017 7:43 PM

Uh-oh.

[quote]Looking at renewal possibilities for ongoing series, [Fox chairman] Newman sounded a positive tone on Gotham, LA To Vegas and Empire while allowing that The Last Man On Earth and The Exorcist are on the bubble.

[quote]Of the latter, he said putting the horror series on Friday nights was “tough for that show. We had hoped that we would be able to tap into a moviegoing crowd who didn’t want to go out to the movies… and we did get some viewership. I thought the show was incredibly well produced, the stories were great.” While Newman says there’s great pride in Exorcist, it’s “clearly a show that’s on the bubble.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 12, 2018 6:36 PM

I love Alfonso Herrera. He showed great acting chops in Sense8, and he's very easy on the eyes. For his sake, I hope they don't cancel the show. I was for a romance between his character and Ben Daniels'. I'm sure the writers have been flirting with the idea since there was quite a bit of sexual tension between the two men in season 2.

by Anonymousreply 56March 12, 2018 6:41 PM

I hope they don't cancel either. It is a great show.

by Anonymousreply 57March 12, 2018 6:47 PM

I enjoyed it. The first series meanders a bit towards the end, but the second series is pretty solid.

by Anonymousreply 58March 12, 2018 7:30 PM

I gave up on the second season when it looked like the old priest only "became" gay after his young woman protege was injured and he was in love with her. The demon said they were going to run away together.

Did the show end up going in that direction? I'm not watching a bisexual old priest but I will watch a gay old priest.

by Anonymousreply 59March 12, 2018 7:43 PM

r59 I didn't register that relationship as romantic [italic]at all.[/italic] It was just a very close relationship between a mentor and a student, almost like between siblings. The priest was always gay. I think someone in the other thread said that had been established in the first season already, but I missed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 12, 2018 7:52 PM

I still have hope that they renew it.

by Anonymousreply 61March 12, 2018 9:25 PM

Oh, do get fucked, Fox, why don't you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 11, 2018 9:29 PM

Disappointing news. ☹️

by Anonymousreply 63May 11, 2018 9:40 PM

Not happy. One of the few programmes with a gay actor playing a bisexual lead character gone as well as being a great show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 11, 2018 9:40 PM

Big Exorcist fan and couldn't wait for this show to start but was disappointed as hell when I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 65May 11, 2018 9:43 PM

Oh this is sad news.

At first I was jarred by the way they changed gears from the movie. But I had grown quite fond of it. It wasn't exactly scary, but it could be exciting. I had high hopes for the female exorcist.

I think they may have seen the writing on the wall and they ended the series in such a way that it could be seen as a permanent ending.

Just one more reason to hate Fox.

by Anonymousreply 66May 11, 2018 9:58 PM

Just read an article in which it was said that a lot of viewers did not like the gay kiss. The creator said, "good, I'm glad it ruined the show for you. Fuck you if you don't like true things."

by Anonymousreply 67May 11, 2018 10:03 PM

Yes, they realised r66 The series writer sounds very pragmatic about it all

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 11, 2018 10:05 PM

Quantico and Designated Survivor have fallen as well, and that's in addition to yesterday's massacre.

by Anonymousreply 69May 11, 2018 10:12 PM

I loved the show. Dammit.

by Anonymousreply 70May 12, 2018 12:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!