Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Playing Joan Crawford ruined my career': Faye Dunaway, 75, says Mommie Dearest changed the way Hollywood thought of her

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434April 25, 2020 1:49 AM

Bitch please! She should be damn glad she had such a memorable role.

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2016 3:55 PM

I thought it was an okay movie. Cheesy and campy but entertaining.. She's a terrific actress. I don't think anyone else could have done a better job

by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2016 3:55 PM

I thought Faye was superb in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2016 3:55 PM

I'm going to venture a guess that her diva like behavior affected her career more than that movie, mixed with fewer roles as an actress ages.

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2016 3:59 PM

IFC played Mommie Dearest for 24 hours this past Mother's Day. People love the movie--whether or not it's for the reasons she prefers, people love the movie. It's given her a legacy with the general public that none of her "Better" roles could have accomplished. Film critics and movie buffs will still be familiar with movies like Network, but Mommie Dearest is the only movie that will be passed down from generation to generation. She should be glad that she will always be remembered so well.

by Anonymousreply 5August 31, 2016 4:04 PM

Being a -real life-bitch is what ruined her career

by Anonymousreply 6August 31, 2016 4:04 PM

And she thought she was going to walk away from it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 31, 2016 4:11 PM

Faye Dunaway has always been one of the best. Great, great actress.

by Anonymousreply 8August 31, 2016 4:26 PM

If that role killed her career, it looks like just one grand maul will finish her off for good. Mary!

by Anonymousreply 9August 31, 2016 4:28 PM

She was wonderful as Megyn Kelly in "Network."

by Anonymousreply 10August 31, 2016 4:32 PM

I think her role in Supergirl a few years later might have helped a bit.

by Anonymousreply 11August 31, 2016 4:33 PM

It's the main role and film she'll be remembered for. Not BONNIE & CLYDE or NETWORK. I suspect CHINATOWN will remain a legendary film for quite some time, though.

by Anonymousreply 12August 31, 2016 4:35 PM

The trouble is she looked less like Joan Crawford than a made-up version of herself. And she acted the Diva in that movie as we kind of figured she acted in real life (a director's nightmare). So, she's right, we identified her with that role and unfairly typecast her because of it.

She will be remembered for her foray into Crawfordville, Bonnie and Clyde and Chinatown, but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 13August 31, 2016 4:36 PM

A lot of actresses, including people like Paltrow, would sell their souls to have such an iconic role.

by Anonymousreply 14August 31, 2016 4:37 PM

The critics at the time thought Dunaway did a better job portraying "Mildred Pierce" (actually rehearsing the part) than Crawford herself!

by Anonymousreply 15August 31, 2016 4:39 PM

I saw Mommie Dearest when it first came out. In a large theater, it didn't seem as overwrought and campy, back then.

Faye's problem was that she couldn't handle the transition from sex symbol to character actress.

Back at the height of Evita craze, Faye did a tv movie playing Evita. It played over two nights because it was over 3 hours long (with no songs, Patti LuPone).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 31, 2016 4:41 PM

I give her more credit than being a sex symbol. She was always very talented and a leading lady almost from the start.

by Anonymousreply 17August 31, 2016 4:44 PM

I think Faye needed a VERY strong director, to reign her in.

Otherwise, she could be a total ham.

While extremely entertaining, her acting in Mommie Dearest is playing to the balcony -- in another theater -- in another city.

And I think she overacted her tits off in Network.

She was much better in Chinatown and Bonnie and Clyde.

by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2016 4:44 PM

Is R9 the Grand maul troll? I'm seeing this bad spelling showing up in other threads and it's disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2016 4:48 PM

What a shame she can't come to terms with the legend that Mommie Dearest has become. It's a bad movie, but it's in no way a hated bad movie, like anything from Michael Bay. I wish she could embrace what a cultural milestone Mommie Dearest has been, especially for the gay community. Everyone I know LOVES Mommie Dearest.

For me, I saw Mommie Dearest before I ever knew who Joan Crawford was. When I got into Mommie Dearest, I immediately started devouring Joan's movies. I've seen almost all of Joan's 80+ movies because of Mommie Dearest. I love Joan. She'll always be my favorite Hollywood Stah.

The problem with Mommie Dearest is that Joan really looks nothing like or sounds nothing like Joan. She made Joan a caricature. Joan is inimitable, unlike Bette Davis or Kate Hepburn or Lauren Bacall or even Olivia DeHavilland. When people imitate Joan Crawford today, they're really just imitating Faye as Joan.

I'll never grow tired of watching Mommie Dearest. I'd rather watch that campy schlockfest over and over again than "great" films the Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia or anything in the Criterion collection.

by Anonymousreply 20August 31, 2016 4:50 PM

R18 Thank you about that comment regarding Network. She was way to over the top and not at all convincing as some damaged network bitch just a cheap caricature. She missed a lot of the nuance needed.

by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2016 4:51 PM

[quote] The problem with Mommie Dearest is that Joan really looks nothing like or sounds nothing like Joan.

Obviously I meant that Faye looks nothing or sounds nothing like Joan.

by Anonymousreply 22August 31, 2016 4:51 PM

Link please, R15.

by Anonymousreply 23August 31, 2016 4:58 PM

Look for it yourself you lazy slob

by Anonymousreply 24August 31, 2016 5:00 PM

" Oh, I know what you mean. I too had so much potential, then I chose to star on GiLLiGAN'S ISLAND and that television series took it all away. I could have been another SARAH BERNHARDT ! "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 31, 2016 5:05 PM

R25 Tina, I know you are trying to save money to pay next month's light bill, but turn a light on for a moment when applying make-up, hon.

by Anonymousreply 26August 31, 2016 5:08 PM

" I'm cray cray about you Monica ! "

TY HARDON'S best moment in acting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 31, 2016 5:14 PM

The slings and arrows of fate she has suffered since MD prove that she did much to incur the wrath of Ghost Joan!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 31, 2016 5:17 PM

r23 Pauline Kael, critic for "The New Yorker" wrote that review describing Dunaway's performance. The link is too long to be included in this post. I hope your fingers aren't broken.

by Anonymousreply 29August 31, 2016 5:18 PM

Supergirl ruined many more careers than just Faye's. Brenda Vaccaro, Peter O'Toole, Hart Bochner. The only reason Mia Farrow survived was because of her relationship with Woody.

by Anonymousreply 30August 31, 2016 5:18 PM

Yes, I'm sure Brenda Vaccaro's career was ruined by Supergirl. Those tampon commercials she was doing at the same time were a real boost to her career.

by Anonymousreply 31August 31, 2016 5:20 PM

Faye Dunaway gives a startling, ferocious performance in Mommie Dearest. It's deeper than an impersonation; she turns herself into Joan Crawford, all right, but she's more Faye Dunaway than ever. She digs into herself and gets inside "Joan Crawford" in a way that only another torn, driven actress could. (She may have created a new form of folie a deux.) With her icy features, her nervous affectations, her honeyed emotionalism, Dunaway has been a vivdly neurotic star; she has always seemed to be racing--breathless and flustered--right on the edge of collapse. In Mommie Dearest, she slows herself down in order to incarnate the bulldozer styles in neurosis of an earlier movie era; her Joan Crawford is more deliberate and calculating--and much stronger--than other Dunaway characters. As Joan the martinet, a fanatical believer in discipline, cleanliness, order, Dunaway lets loose with a fury that she may not have known was in her. She goes over the top, discovers higher peaks waiting, and shoots over them, too. Has any movie queen ever gone this far before? Alone and self-mesmerized, she plays the entire film on emotion. Her performance is extravagant--it's operatic and full of primal anger; she's grabbing the world by the short hairs....

".... Dunaway brings off [the] camp horror scenes--howling "No wire hangers!" and weeping while inflecting "Tina, bring me the axe" with the beyond-the-crypt chest tones of a basso profundo--but she also invests the part with so much power and suffering that these scenes transcend camp . . . Dunaway takes this star-machine Joan Crawford and shows you that she isn't evil or inhuman--she's frighteningly human....

"....Dunaway sees a grandeur in Joan Crawford, and by the size and severity of the torments she acts out she makes Crawford seem tragic. After Michael Redgrave played the insane ventriloquist in Dead of Night, bits of the character's paranoia kept turning up in his other performances; it could be hair-raising if Faye Dunaway were to have trouble shaking off the gorgon Joan.”

Pauline Kael

New Yorker, October 12, 1981

by Anonymousreply 32August 31, 2016 5:23 PM

[italic]People[/italic] described Faye's performance as "the kind of bravura acting Robert DeNiro exhibited in [italic]Raging Bull,[/italic]" and Janet Maslin of the NYT said she performed "a small miracle."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 31, 2016 5:26 PM

There is nothing else quite like her performance in Mommie Dearest. It's an example of a performer committing fully and going to the edge. It's a voyeuristic film. You feel uncomfortable watching it. I think many who have grown up in abusive homes can relate to the fear Christina and her brother experience during Joan's nightly tirades.

by Anonymousreply 34August 31, 2016 5:56 PM

I agree with these critics. I think that Joan was Faye's greatest role. Her performance is campy, but it's also sad, thrilling, and terrifying. It is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 35August 31, 2016 6:08 PM

'[quote]The trouble is she looked less like Joan Crawford than a made-up version of herself.

Yes, but the same could be said for Joan Crawford herself.

I thought one of the best things about the movie was showing the transformation from Joan the civilian to Joan The Star.

by Anonymousreply 36August 31, 2016 6:09 PM

Huh, r36? Mommie Dearest isn't about Joan's ascent to stardom. It starts in 1939, when she had been a huge star for over a decade.

by Anonymousreply 37August 31, 2016 6:15 PM

I didn't see it in R32, but Kael did indeed say that watching Faye do the scene in Mildred Pierce was watching it being done by a real actress. Kael has written some very influential reviews but this one doesn't seem to be one of them. Dunaway's performance is still considered camp.

by Anonymousreply 38August 31, 2016 6:36 PM

R37 That's not what he meant.

by Anonymousreply 39August 31, 2016 6:44 PM

I am not. one. of. that. movie's. faaannnnnnnzzzzzzzzz!!!!

Hollywood Royalty? HOLLYWOOD ROY-AL-TYYY???!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 40August 31, 2016 7:06 PM

Hollywood (particularly the old, established Hollywood) was aghast at the book, and shunned Christina Crawford, so I'm guessing that if the film hurt Dunaway's career, it could be due to her being a part of what was considered a distasteful airing of dirty laundry within a Hollywood culture that had always been committed to covering up any "unpleasantness". That, and she was already well-known for being difficult to work with.

"[R18] Thank you about that comment regarding Network. She was way to over the top and not at all convincing as some damaged network bitch just a cheap caricature. She missed a lot of the nuance needed."

There's very little room for nuance in a Paddy Chayefsky script.

by Anonymousreply 41August 31, 2016 7:08 PM

I've never seen mommie dearest but its original full length trailer is fkin epic. Pure comedy. OMG how could one not see this would be a sort of subversive black comedy. Its so over the top.

by Anonymousreply 42August 31, 2016 7:16 PM

[quote]It's a voyeuristic film. You feel uncomfortable watching it. I think many who have grown up in abusive homes can relate to the fear Christina and her brother experience during Joan's nightly tirades.

As over the top as the movie can be at times, this is the reason why I cannot sit back and enjoy it as a camp. There are too many moments that really capture what a child goes through when subjected to an abusive parent. I can appreciate Dunaway's performance, but it is not one I enjoy watching or want to see multiple times.

by Anonymousreply 43August 31, 2016 7:29 PM

What about the Lloyd Webber stupidity?

by Anonymousreply 44August 31, 2016 7:42 PM

Were there really that many people still in Hollywood in the '80s (and in positions of power) who gave a fuck about the old guard, though? I thought it was all film school geeks and accountants by then?

by Anonymousreply 45August 31, 2016 7:43 PM

She gave an over-the-top scene chewing performance in what basically was a TV movie

An actor should be able to gage the production and have the foresight to see how it will come out before using one's entire arsenal of acting abilities at once. It was overkill for a forgettable film.

by Anonymousreply 46August 31, 2016 7:47 PM

[quote] She gave an over-the-top scene chewing performance in what basically was a TV movie

THAT. Is a LIIIIIIIIE!

by Anonymousreply 47August 31, 2016 7:48 PM

Call it "karma" for Dunaway's complicity in desecrating Crawford's life. I would call that a wash.

by Anonymousreply 48August 31, 2016 7:51 PM

R46, I agree with your first paragraph but not the second. It is the director's job to direct the actor's performance in line with the rest of the film. If her scenery chewing was seen as over the top, the director should have reined her in.

by Anonymousreply 49August 31, 2016 7:52 PM

It wasn't playing Joan Crawford that did the damage. It was becoming the Faye Dunaway she became that did it. But she won an Emmy in the meantime, so it hasn't all been hate. It's just been dried-up parts, on the screen and in her sad panties.

by Anonymousreply 50August 31, 2016 7:53 PM

Yes, but the director was known as an actor's director and the bulk of his work showed that. My guess is Dunaway wasn't listening to anyone at that point in her career and Perry (who was an excellent director) just threw up his hands and gave up.

by Anonymousreply 51August 31, 2016 7:55 PM

I notice that the millennial-type loosers (look it up) now are basing their entire aesthetic sense on previews.

[quote]R42: but its original full length trailer is fkin epic.

How nice. Two punctuation errors, a slob-abbreviation, and a declaration that, despite not seeing the film, she DID see the preview. FULL-LENGTH trailer.

The fact that the film and performance were wonderful doesn't excuse twats from braying how smart they are for knowing what something they have not experienced is.

by Anonymousreply 52August 31, 2016 7:58 PM

She was terrific in MD. I think her career stalled because she was (is) so difficult- I gather kind of nuts. Of course she is not going to admit that.

by Anonymousreply 53August 31, 2016 7:59 PM

I saw Faye in person in the mid-90s, at the Miami International Book Fair when she was pushing her autobiography. The event took place in a small auditorium and was styled as interview, with a man asking questions about Faye's life and career. There was no discussion about MD. Faye seemed very nervous, lots of fidgeting and shifting in her chair, but she gave all of the questions consideration, At the end there was a question and answer session with the audience and right at the start this man said how great she was in MD and the whole place burst into spontaneous applause. You could see that Faye was a little bugged, but she was gracious and she offered what some have already said here: that sometimes an actor needs a director to rein them in and she did not have that in Frank Perry.

by Anonymousreply 54August 31, 2016 8:02 PM

Dorothy Faye Dunaway has never seemed to come to terms with her poor Southern roots - having grown up on a farm in a rural area of North Florida. Her gnawing ambition to be seen as a grand, glamorous movie star has almost always overshadowed any character she has tried to create on screen.

I always found her sort of affected upper-class lockjaw accent particularly annoying. And she's a huge self-involved bitch - who has taken herself and her career way too seriously.

Oddly enough, I think those of some of the main qualities Dunaway has in common with Crawford - the shame about her humble background, the gnawing ambition, and the ruthless sense of self-importance. Unfortunately, none of those things seemed to really help Dunaway get inside the character of Joan Crawford - like Crawford she's unable to be that self-aware or introspective.

So her performance in "Mommie Dearest" came across like another over-the-top, drag queen version of Crawford, in which she simply exaggerating all Crawford's most obvious mannerisms and worst behaviors. I remember nothing subtle, vulnerable, or nuanced in Dunaway's performance that would've rounded out or added texture to the complexity of who Joan Crawford really was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 31, 2016 8:15 PM

When you overact in a flop and look like Groucho Marx in drag, yeah, it does tend to hurt your career.

by Anonymousreply 56August 31, 2016 8:18 PM

I never worshipped 'Network' because every single actor in it went way over the top. I don't find Howard Beale inspirational, just sad, and that woman who played William Holden's wife was cringe-inducing.

That being said, Faye Dunaway was an exceptional beauty.

by Anonymousreply 57August 31, 2016 8:42 PM

I think her star days were coming to an end anyway... She's actually given some very good performances since in indies like Barfly and Drunks (perhaps the warmest she's appeared on screen), and even on the urban TV series Soul Food. I wish she would get one more great part to rip into, I know she wanted to do Master Class for years but I think Streep got attached to another production of it and her version was canned. HBO or Netflix should throw her a bone.

by Anonymousreply 58August 31, 2016 8:59 PM

[quote]It's the main role and film she'll be remembered for. Not BONNIE & CLYDE

Her Bonnie Parker is often considered one of the most beautiful characters ever to grace the screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 31, 2016 9:12 PM

R16 I remember when she presented Patti with her Tony for EVITA in 1980. Of course, making it all about herself. Then a year later, she starred in that TV miniseries.

For some reason, it's no longer on YouTube anymore, but the beginning was cringeworthy, with Faye's pretentious and longwinded opening.

by Anonymousreply 60August 31, 2016 9:18 PM

TV spot for EVITA PERON miniseries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 31, 2016 9:19 PM

And here's the full movie, in 14 parts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 31, 2016 9:20 PM

[quote]And I think she overacted her tits off in Network.

[quote]She was much better in Chinatown and Bonnie and Clyde.

Agreed about NETWORK. I don't get the praise for that OTT performance. And, of course, she wins her Oscar for that tripe!

My favorite performance of hers is BONNIE AND CLYDE. She was so fresh and natural and unaffected. She was good in CHINATOWN, too, but by then (7 years later) she was already acquiring the Faye Dunaway persona.

by Anonymousreply 63August 31, 2016 9:23 PM

My post was also aimed at R21.

by Anonymousreply 64August 31, 2016 9:24 PM

Faye is a very lucky woman. How many actresses have appeared in four bona fide classics: Bonnie And Clyde, Chinatown, Network, and Mommie Dearest.

by Anonymousreply 65August 31, 2016 9:26 PM

[quote]Oddly enough, I think those of some of the main qualities Dunaway has in common with Crawford - the shame about her humble background, the gnawing ambition, and the ruthless sense of self-importance.

Folie à deux, as someone upthread said.

by Anonymousreply 66August 31, 2016 9:26 PM

R65 not to mention that BONNIE AND CLYDE was a landmark film that ushered in the New Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 67August 31, 2016 9:38 PM

The fact that she acted like the most entitled bitch that ever bitched might have had just a bit to do with her career demise

by Anonymousreply 68August 31, 2016 9:40 PM

I always loved the EYES OF LAURA MARS!

by Anonymousreply 69August 31, 2016 9:49 PM

Faye Dunaway ruined Faye Dunaway's career. What a shame, as she was a great actress and gorgeous too. If she can get her shit together, she just may have another great role in her to bring her back.

by Anonymousreply 70August 31, 2016 9:57 PM

She was already 40 years old when she took her foray into camp. Maybe everybody thought she was going into Baby Jane territory.

by Anonymousreply 71August 31, 2016 9:59 PM

If you're the one that made that ridiculous statement R24, then you prove it-and if the Pauline Kael excerpts were meant to prove it-nowhere in the excerpts is "Mildred Pierce" even mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 72August 31, 2016 10:01 PM

I also feel like a victim, but of course not nearly to the same extent she has been. Her suffering has been legendary.

by Anonymousreply 73August 31, 2016 10:04 PM

[quote] How many actresses have appeared in four bona fide classics: Bonnie And Clyde, Chinatown, Network, and Mommie Dearest.

Don;t forget Eyes of Laura Mars, which has a huge cult following.

by Anonymousreply 74August 31, 2016 10:04 PM

R74, meet R69

by Anonymousreply 75August 31, 2016 10:06 PM

She's responsible for what happened to her career afterward. Many actors have bounced back from infamous roles.

by Anonymousreply 76August 31, 2016 10:10 PM

" Same thing happened to me after I played in WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE ? With my extensive career the only thing that fans would ever ask me to quote was 'I think you'll find him very well qualified' or 'I'll just tell them that I'm Mr. Flagg's secretary' , 'Your mum would make a very good secretary at that !' Oh, and that CRAWFORD creature was a horror on the set !! "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 31, 2016 10:23 PM

American Horror Story: Faye Dunaway's Answering Machine!

by Anonymousreply 78August 31, 2016 10:31 PM

"Playing Joan Crawford WAS my career"

by Anonymousreply 79August 31, 2016 10:52 PM

Here it is R72: "In a scene in which Joan (Crawford) is rehearsing for 'Mildred Pierce,' (Faye) Dunaway looks like her, but you're aware of an enormous difference: this is 'Mildred Pierce' with a real actress in the part."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 31, 2016 10:57 PM

-the-crypt chest tones of a basso profundo--"

Basso profundity? Why, I oughta slap your head, you assholio profundo.

by Anonymousreply 81August 31, 2016 11:09 PM

Thank you to R32 and others for sharing those reviews of Mommy Dearest from Pauline Kael and others. I'm in my early 30s and only 'discovered' Mommy Dearest 10 years ago and, at that time, the 'legend' of this massive artistic and commercial failure had set in. It's interesting, then, to read how some of the most respected critics of the day were able to appreciate this performance in a way that history has not. Interestingly, the charges leveled at Faye could apply to so many of Meryl's performances to this day. I recall a year or two ago someone posted a more recent interview with Faye on here in which she talked about Mommy Dearest as almost a kabuki-style of performance. She seemed to have come to peace with it at that time. Would be nice to see her land a juicy supporting role on a prestige cable drama. Obviously, her film days are behind her.

Also, I guess I'm the only person on here who unabashedly loves Network. It's my favorite film of the 70s and, in no small part, due to Faye's wonderful performance. I'm kind of surprised to read all the hate for her performance on here. Would that performance have worked in a more naturalistic film? No, of course not, but for Network I thought it was absolutely perfect. Today, it might be the kind of heightened performance one sees in a Tarantino, Wes Anderson or even a Coen Brothers film.

by Anonymousreply 82August 31, 2016 11:28 PM

Why doesn't any of you old queens want to talk about that Kusturica movie I was so brilliant in, that was the hit of all the Europe and Cannes, but wasn't well sold in this country!?

by Anonymousreply 83August 31, 2016 11:33 PM

The one good thing about the campfest that is Mommie Dearest is it has kept Joan's name out there far longer than it would have been otherwise. I always thought Joan was very underrated as an actress. She never had the range of characters she could play, like arch-rival Bette Davis, but she could do two things Bette could not: she could be subtle, and she could play comedy.

by Anonymousreply 84August 31, 2016 11:45 PM

When Dunaway bellows "this is wonderful, this is WONDERFUL, " you can't help but laugh.

by Anonymousreply 85August 31, 2016 11:53 PM

I agree with R55. Also Joan was a petite woman. Faye looked like a sumo wrestler in MD

A real portrayal of Joan as yet to be made, one which shows her obvious vulnerable side

by Anonymousreply 86September 1, 2016 12:28 AM

How do I forward this to Jess? I'm not very internet savy.

by Anonymousreply 87September 1, 2016 1:03 AM

It's a bad movie, but a respected and liked bad movie. Her performance is recognized as stellar and it's a shame she feels this way. It also introduced her to a new generation. Her claim it ruined her career is not really warranted as she kept working all along and has had a brilliant and long career, certainly one of the longest in Hollywood especially for women - it's not like the roles stopped coming in.

by Anonymousreply 88September 1, 2016 1:30 AM

Mommie Dearest actually got some good reviews and major awards.

It was Supergirl and The Wicked Lady and turning 40 and the diva antics etc. that stalled her career

by Anonymousreply 89September 1, 2016 1:37 AM

Even in the trailer one can see they're moments of brilliancy. But its never quite reeled in. So its all seems so camp. Perhaps the subject material itself, and at times its seem to come from the child's point of view.

by Anonymousreply 90September 1, 2016 2:50 AM

Jane Fonda was offered the leads in both Bonnie and Clyde and Chinatown. Whatever regrets FD has about her career, she can't deny that she has been very, very lucky.

I still remember when MD opened--and got raucous laughs in all the unintended places; the amazing thing, though, was seeing how quickly the movie's marketeers turned on a dime, revamping the campaign, rushing out print ads that showcased the "No more wire hangers!" quote, and adding this provocative tag line: "The Biggest Mother of Them All." (Christina Crawford was saidf to be incensed by this.)

Neither Frank nor Faye set out to produce high camp, but that's what they got. To her credit, Faye has obviously mellowed in her attitude toward the film. It's the thing for which she will be best remembered.

As for "Evita Peron"--wow. I forgot all about that--looking forward to watching. FD looks perfect (visually) in the role. Imagine, if she'd been able to sing: Broadway history might have taken a very different turn (and she would have been spared her eventual humiliation at ALW's hands with Sunset Blvd.)

by Anonymousreply 91September 1, 2016 2:56 AM

r48 = the late Ginger Rogers

by Anonymousreply 92September 1, 2016 3:00 AM

It's called bone structure bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 1, 2016 3:06 AM

"Christina, Christopher, Dammit!" "They think I'm slipping" "Now, Helga, I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at the dirt" "I can handle the socks" "Give me another drink and I'll be alllright"

by Anonymousreply 94September 1, 2016 3:12 AM

R94 Hillary C.

by Anonymousreply 95September 1, 2016 3:15 AM

Hell, even "Corporate headquarters are in New York" has a gloss and sheen it wouldn't have otherwise--simply because Faye is uttering the line.

And I've long maintained that her reading of, "Don't fuck with me, fellas!" is genius--because of the way she says it, stressing the words in an unexpected way ("fuck" is not given primary stress).

by Anonymousreply 96September 1, 2016 3:23 AM

1 award 3 nominations.

That is a pretty good career.

by Anonymousreply 97September 1, 2016 3:24 AM

The movie execs should have said, "we know you're a drunk and we have your porno pictures. We loved the one of you with the donkey."

by Anonymousreply 98September 1, 2016 3:33 AM

What happened to her plans to write a book about the experience of making MD?

by Anonymousreply 99September 1, 2016 3:39 AM

She has three films in the American Film Institute's Top 100 American Films of All Time: 21. Chinatown; 42. Bonnie & Clyde; 64. Network. Add to that two lesser but still great movies: Three Days of the Condor and Eyes of Laura Mars. That's a damn good record by any measure.

by Anonymousreply 100September 1, 2016 4:19 AM

That seems to have now been a ploy to get Rutanya Alda not to release hers.

by Anonymousreply 101September 1, 2016 4:23 AM

Since most of the would-be Rex Reeds here don't seem to understand the prophetic Network, it's a good thing their reviewing is limited to Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 102September 1, 2016 4:29 AM

r102=smugly superior in every way

by Anonymousreply 103September 1, 2016 4:32 AM

who should ruin their career by playing Faye Dunaway?

by Anonymousreply 104September 1, 2016 4:33 AM

Lindsay Lohan should play Dunaway. She doesn't have a career to destroy anyway, and at the rate she's going she'll soon look as old as Dunaway.

by Anonymousreply 105September 1, 2016 4:40 AM

One: Perhaps, Faye Dunaway's best performance was in the PBS production of HOGAN'S GOAT with Robert Foxworth. Her performance off-Broadway in HOGAN'S GOAT with Ralph Waite was one of her breakout roles.

Two, I have never gotten DL's obsession with Joan Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 106September 1, 2016 5:35 AM

This notion that the movie industry was angry at Dunaway for making Mommie dearest is not correct. It was Old Hollywood that felt that way--the survivors of the sweep-it-all-under-the-carpet school like Olivia de Havilland or Myrna Loy who felt offended, and they had no power by the 1970s.

As many here have said, it was Faye herself that hurt her. She was notoriously difficult to work with. Producers, directors, and actors all wanted somebody else for various roles for that reason.

That said, one does notice a strange tendency by the director to hold Dunaway's close-ups for far too long. That moment at thye very start when she is called to the set for the ice-skating movie, for instance. It's not a moment. It'[s an hour. Eventually, the director's campy glorification of stardom starts to feel as if Dunaway is doing it herself.

It's not a great movie, but it is fascinating and she is very good in it, even if it's sort of unnuanced villainy all the way through. But that's what the script demanded.

I saw Dunaway on stage in NY in Hogan's Goat, and she was really, really good. Raw and odd in a raw and odd part. You could just tell that Hollywood was going to sweep her up. I was very young (taken by my parents), and I normally didn't remember performances by actors that well then. However, that one stayed with me.

by Anonymousreply 107September 1, 2016 6:38 AM

Interesting point about the close-ups; I noticed that, too. When she swivels around in the makeup chair for the big reveaL, it's as if the prolonged take is meant to hammer home the significance of the impersonation--to Dunaway's detriment, as it turns out. I remember seeing many of Crawford's films (post Mommie Dearest--Thanks, TCM!) and being struck by how beautifully she photographed: the camera really did love her, and I realized how strong an impression Dunaway had made as Crawford--to the detriment of both, in that case.

Crawford really did deserve better treatment. Old Hollywood knew a hatchet job when it saw one. And Dunaway is correct in concluding she's paid a heavy price for it.

Ultimately it's Crawford's career longevity that wins the day: watch her in Rain--and then Mildred, for example, to take in the full breadth of her staying power. Nope, they sure don't make them (movie stars) like that anymore, as Faye surely knows firsthand.

(As an aside, I always thought the somewhat Asian cast to Dunaway's eyes was her most intriguing feature; one can really see that in the Evita Peron TV movie.)

by Anonymousreply 108September 1, 2016 7:09 AM

If you're ever around an older crew guy in Los Angeles, ask him if he has any Faye Dunaway stories. They all seem to have a different one. Faye did a sitcom with Robert Urich. She had to do a scene sitting in a dunk tank. I guess that week's writer hated her too. The crew warmed up the water with their own piss, and Faye loved how warm the water felt. I can't remember if she complained about the water being too cold, or it was just overall bad behavior that caused that.

by Anonymousreply 109September 1, 2016 9:33 AM

"If ONLY she had followed my rules."

"Remember, bad things happen to little girls who don't listen to Mommy Dearest."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110September 1, 2016 9:36 AM

[quote]Playing Joan Crawford ruined my career

Joan Crawford being Joan Crawford ruined HER career in the last decade

by Anonymousreply 111September 1, 2016 4:57 PM

Faye is still a great actress.

Even after MD, she gave one of her best performances in Barfly.

She was also excellent in the TV movies Cold Sassy Tree and her supporting turn in Gia.

by Anonymousreply 112September 1, 2016 6:51 PM

R102, Rex Reed loved Network AND Mommie Dearest. To make things better, he lives in the Dakota and completely hated Lauren Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 113September 1, 2016 6:59 PM

Faye got to work with Johnny Depp and fat Marlon Brando in "Don Juan DeMarco." Even her stinkers had high profile actors.

I bet Faye and Marlon really clashed on the set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 1, 2016 7:10 PM

[quote]Also, I guess I'm the only person on here who unabashedly loves Network.

Nope -- I love it to pieces.

by Anonymousreply 115September 1, 2016 7:27 PM

[quote]The crew warmed up the water with their own piss, and Faye loved how warm the water felt.

Sure, that could be true... if there were 500 people on the crew and Dunaway had lost her sense of smell.

by Anonymousreply 116September 1, 2016 7:28 PM

She was also good in "The Handmaid's Tale" although the movie was not so good.

by Anonymousreply 117September 1, 2016 7:33 PM

Anne Bancroft quit Mommie Dearest. Smart move

by Anonymousreply 118September 1, 2016 7:38 PM

Anne Bancroft would have been completely wrong as Crawford and would have chewed the scenery, anyway, as she was wont to do from the 1980s on.

by Anonymousreply 119September 1, 2016 7:43 PM

I know someone who read Rutanya's book - said it was awful, badly written. About three pages of interesting stuff stretched out to 100.

by Anonymousreply 120September 1, 2016 7:49 PM

Anne's take on Joan would have been interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 1, 2016 7:50 PM

Attended a showing of "Mommie Dearest" featuring Rutanya Alda in Denver.

She wasn't very interesting or enlightening. I had almost forgotten about it.

by Anonymousreply 122September 1, 2016 8:04 PM

Of course, Bancroft would have 'over-acted' the part, just as Dunaway did, because the part as written is unplayable, at least in the sense of the character being an actual human being. There is nowhere for an actor to go with that part, it starts on 11 and stays on 11, there is no place for modulation. Bancroft read the script and saw this, hence why she withdrew from the project. Dunaway is neither as smart or as talented as she thinks she is and I suspect that's what got her into trouble with this particular project. That said, this film has nothing to do with her career drying up...she had already had a thankless supporting role in 'The Champ' two years previous, was doing the made-for-tv 'Evita' and the forthcoming 'Wicked Lady' was not a big budget production. Her time had passed, it happens to most.

by Anonymousreply 123September 1, 2016 8:16 PM

I wonder if she keeps up with any of her Pi Phi sisters from FSU.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 1, 2016 8:17 PM

"When I told you to call me that, I wanted you to mean it."

No one does a line reading like miss Faye.

by Anonymousreply 125September 1, 2016 8:40 PM

[quote] There is nowhere for an actor to go with that part, it starts on 11 and stays on 11, there is no place for modulation. Bancroft read the script and saw this, hence why she withdrew from the project.

Oh, please. if anything, it would have been catnip to her. Have you missed Bancroft's performances from that era- Fatso, Garbo Talks, Agnes of God, Night Mother, Torch Song Trilogy. She was in her "throw raw meat at me every five minutes or I'll destroy your set" phase. I think she just didn't like the script, but she certainly wasn't worried about playing the film at maximum level the whole time. She lived at maximum level.

by Anonymousreply 126September 1, 2016 8:55 PM

I finally presented Miss Bancroft with her Academy Award under the provision that she would never...EVER play me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 1, 2016 9:14 PM

"Mommie Dearest" has aged really well, though. I thought it was going to be a cheapish, Diva chewing scenary flick when I got it on Netflix, but that's not what it actually was.

When I watched it, it seemed very "cinematic." The photography was gorgeous. Camp today makes people think of cheap Lifetime movies filmed in a week in British Columbia. This was a legitimate, expensive Hollywood movie with real talent. I think the film will be viewed more positively as time goes on. The weak link, though, are all the actresses who played Christina.

by Anonymousreply 128September 1, 2016 9:31 PM

I just watched NETWORK and I think Dunaway's performance was incredible. Not over the top - but perfection.

by Anonymousreply 129September 1, 2016 9:34 PM

[quote]The weak link, though, are all the actresses who played Christina.

I thought they were both good in that campy way, especially Diana Scarwid and her intermittent Georgia accent.

by Anonymousreply 130September 1, 2016 9:37 PM

R126 I loved her in To Be or Not To Be.

by Anonymousreply 131September 1, 2016 9:40 PM

[quote]Ultimately it's Crawford's career longevity that wins the day: watch her in Rain--and then Mildred, for example, to take in the full breadth of her staying power

There's 13 years between the two films, nothing extraordinary about that. And wasn't "Mildred' her big comeback at that time?

by Anonymousreply 132September 1, 2016 9:42 PM

[quote] I thought they were both good in that campy way, especially Diana Scarwid and her intermittent Georgia accent.

We called her Suddenly Southern Christina.

"Understaaaaaynd......the first word I evah heard......"

by Anonymousreply 133September 1, 2016 9:55 PM

awful or sublime, Mommie Dearest was a real tour de force from her. I think a big unmentioned problem in that movie is the actress playing Christina: she's absolutely awful, I cant believe they chose her for such a crucial role. A better actress would have made a world of difference in all those hyper-dramatic confrontation scenes, and maybe even Dunaway's acting would look less crazy. Does anyone one know why in the hell they chose that atrocious girl for the part?

by Anonymousreply 134September 1, 2016 10:14 PM

You realize it's 2 different actresses, right?

by Anonymousreply 135September 1, 2016 10:16 PM

yes, i mean Scarwid

by Anonymousreply 136September 1, 2016 10:18 PM

Faye dunaway is scary and mean as fuck. Has sharp teeth.

by Anonymousreply 137September 1, 2016 10:25 PM

R116, that shows how stories progress. The original story I heard was she had to douse her head in a bucket of water in "The Champ" and a crew member who hated her took a piss in it. The bathtub story has often been attributed to Kathleen Turner in "Romancing the Stone."

by Anonymousreply 138September 1, 2016 10:39 PM

I heard that Faye had a disagreement with Marlon Brando on the set, and so she pushed his fat ass onto the ground, and before he could roll over to stand up, she squatted over him and peed all over his face.

See how these stories morph over time?

by Anonymousreply 139September 1, 2016 10:42 PM

"Tear down that bitch of a bearing wall and put a window where it ought to be!" Faye was also not above to guest starring on TV shows, like "Grey's Anatomy".

by Anonymousreply 140September 1, 2016 10:46 PM

There are several Mommie Dearest deleted scenes that are sitting in a vault at Paramount and nobody has ever seen them. I don't know why they haven't released a special edition DVD with those scenes, it would certainly be a big seller.

by Anonymousreply 141September 1, 2016 10:48 PM

I am old and trust me Faye always had a terrible reputation.

by Anonymousreply 142September 1, 2016 10:49 PM

I don't think there is any question that MD was the catalyst that threw Dunaway's career off course. Yes, she had a bad reputation for being difficult to work with (and all the fights, tantrums, nastiness, etc. that goes with that), but she's hardly the first or the last actor to have that kind of a label slapped on them. Having a lot of talent, which Dunaway clearly did have, usually trumps the "difficult to work with" stigma. I think MD and its total hatchet job on Crawford (and its unbelievably poor direction) was the excuse to stop offering her the big roles. She was hardly past her prime, but the one-two combo of a poorly received performance in a poorly received huge film plus what Hollywood insiders generally thought of her proved to be her downfall. Yes, she had sporadic moments of brilliance afterward, but there is no other way to explain her sudden downward shift post-MD.

What I find interesting about MD is that her performance was somewhat lauded early on, but then it seemed to spiral downward, and people just jumped on the bandwagon after that. She won the Razzie that year but she also was named runner-up Best Actress in a few of the nationally renown film critic awards.

by Anonymousreply 143September 1, 2016 11:19 PM

It wasn't Mommie Dearest that ruined her career. It was the awareness that she's doing Joan Crawford in everything she's ever done.

It's hard to watch a Faye Dunaway movie and not see Mommie Dearest. The earlier ones are not so hammy. But, please... Evita? Supergirl? Wicked Lady?

Mommie Dearest didn't ruin your career, junkie. You did.

by Anonymousreply 144September 1, 2016 11:28 PM

Jealous bitches. Why can't you treat her like any STRANGER on the street?!

by Anonymousreply 145September 1, 2016 11:42 PM

Faye was 40 at the time of MD. Actresses' careers always decline after that, and it was especially true in those days.

by Anonymousreply 146September 1, 2016 11:43 PM

To me Faye didn't resemble Joan Crawford at all. Both were beautiful women, but Faye is tall and slim with delicate features, and Joan was short, curvaceous with bold striking features. To put those Senor Wences brows on Faye like that, with her small eyes and head and to give her those big horrible hairdos was a big mistake.

I read Faye's autobiography-what an overly detailed BORE of a book it was. She is so over earnest and simply cannot laugh at herself that it was painful to read.

Her son Liam is hot to death though. At least he was about a decade ago.

by Anonymousreply 147September 1, 2016 11:51 PM

R145, do you really have to ask?...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148September 1, 2016 11:52 PM

Faye's performance in MD wasn't exactly...multi-layered. Her line reading of, "Tina-bring me the a(sk)" She couldn't even pronounce the word axe, she was so busy eating up the scenery.

by Anonymousreply 149September 1, 2016 11:53 PM

She gave a wonderful performance in Barfly. She is a talented, striking actress. I also think MD was a tour de force that will grow in stature over the years. Although the script and supporting performances are weak, Dunaway gives us pathos, terror, dark humor, and warmth all within the same film.

by Anonymousreply 150September 1, 2016 11:56 PM

[quote]Her line reading of, "Tina-bring me the a(sk)" She couldn't even pronounce the word axe, she was so busy eating up the scenery.

The thing about bullshit is you gotta be careful when there are online resources that call out said bullshit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151September 1, 2016 11:57 PM

She ruined her face with that bad PS though.

by Anonymousreply 152September 1, 2016 11:57 PM

[quote]There is nowhere for an actor to go with that part, it starts on 11 and stays on 11, there is no place for modulation. Bancroft read the script and saw this, hence why she withdrew from the project

Any smart actor would have seen how over-the-top the representation of JC was. Faye's ego blinded her and because of it she looked amateurish by being so caricatural. It was clownish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153September 2, 2016 12:00 AM

No r151 at best, it sounds like she's saying "Bring me the Ack"

by Anonymousreply 154September 2, 2016 12:02 AM

Barbara, please! Please, Barbara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155September 2, 2016 12:02 AM

Get your ears checked, R154. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 156September 2, 2016 12:05 AM

Faye just can't accept the fact that Mommie was fabulous and her distancing herself from it made her seem like a shrew.

She's a shrew anyway.

by Anonymousreply 157September 2, 2016 12:08 AM

If you want modulated, see Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 158September 2, 2016 12:09 AM

"It's a voyeuristic film. You feel uncomfortable watching it."

Um, voyeurs like watching things. Maybe you mean it's an exhibitionistic film (like all films) and YOU felt uncomfortable watching it?

by Anonymousreply 159September 2, 2016 12:13 AM

It's a snuff film. Seriously, viewer beware!!!

by Anonymousreply 160September 2, 2016 12:15 AM

'Barfly' was after 'Mommie Dearest' and she was great in it.

by Anonymousreply 161September 2, 2016 12:16 AM

Faye's recollections on Barfly. Shows what an intelligent and thoughtful actress she is IMO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162September 2, 2016 12:22 AM

Being a drunk and a crazy person didn't help Faye's career either.

by Anonymousreply 163September 2, 2016 12:23 AM

Is Faye's son her bio child or was he adopted?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164September 2, 2016 12:33 AM

Dunaway needs a director who scares the shit out of her. That's why she was so good in Chinatown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 2, 2016 12:39 AM

I'm not sure Faye's writing about "Barfly" is all that insightful, or even very smart. A line like, "Barbet’s is a craggy sort of intelligence, like the great French filmmakers..." is really devoid of any meaning.

by Anonymousreply 166September 2, 2016 1:03 AM

Can you imagine Sandra Bullock writing such a thing?

by Anonymousreply 167September 2, 2016 1:08 AM

BTW it is Miss Dunaway. Not Faye Duaway.

by Anonymousreply 168September 2, 2016 1:10 AM

Miss Dunaway is for Miss Dunaway.

by Anonymousreply 169September 2, 2016 1:19 AM

Faye is a better actress than Joan Crawford ever was. Joan Crawford over acted everything. She sucked.

by Anonymousreply 170September 2, 2016 1:21 AM

I still laugh when I think of that story someone once told about Faye trying to return tapes to a video store, pulling up in her car expecting someone to come out and get them, and then getting pissed off when nobody would, flinging the tapes out the car window, and tearing out of the lot with the tires spitting out dirt and gravel behind her.

by Anonymousreply 171September 2, 2016 1:24 AM

She sure did, R170!

Suck that is...

by Anonymousreply 172September 2, 2016 1:25 AM

Well, that's arguable r170 (Whaddup, Faye!)--but *playing* Joan Crawford is what got Dunaway's acting compared to a drag queen's.

Calling her performance "Kabuki" doesn't diminish that.

by Anonymousreply 173September 2, 2016 1:35 AM

I think Faye's performance in MD is very much akin to Lucy's in 'Mame', critically derided at first, but eventually becoming lauded and appreciated as time and good taste won out over hype and personality. Very similar to what happened with 'It's a Wonderful Life', as well.

by Anonymousreply 174September 2, 2016 1:45 AM

Pre Mommie Dearest we thought Faye was a cunt.

Post Mommie Dearest, we thought Faye was a cunt who couldn't act.

by Anonymousreply 175September 2, 2016 1:48 AM

[quote] Lucy's in 'Mame', critically derided at first, but eventually becoming lauded and appreciated as time

*SCRATCH RECORD SOUND*

Uh, no. Everyone still drawing breath STILL thinks Lucy's Mame is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 176September 2, 2016 1:51 AM

LucyMame lauded and appreciated?

Ooooookaaayyy...

by Anonymousreply 177September 2, 2016 1:51 AM

Light the torches!

Get the pitchforks!

'Cause here's Lucy,

Playing Mame...

by Anonymousreply 178September 2, 2016 1:53 AM

Lucy's "Mame" was a hot mess.

by Anonymousreply 179September 2, 2016 1:57 AM

Lucy/Mame lauded...appreciated....Um, NO

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180September 2, 2016 2:03 AM

A few months ago I went to see my parents and mommy dearest was playing on one of the channels. The three of us sat there and talked until the "No more wire hangers" scene, and we were all rapt. Extremely over the top, but well within keeping of the tone set by the movie. Fantastic scene, and those leading up to it were interesting too.

After that scene the movie became incredibly dull.

None of us had ever seen the movie, but Faye Dunaway was fantastic. It sucks that people misremember this role as a failure. It was pure ACTING!

by Anonymousreply 181September 2, 2016 2:09 AM

It was ACTING, for chrissakes!!!!

by Anonymousreply 182September 2, 2016 2:11 AM

It's MOMMIE, not MOMMY!

by Anonymousreply 183September 2, 2016 2:36 AM

R170 Joan was a STAR!

Faye, never!

by Anonymousreply 184September 2, 2016 2:43 AM

Say it like you mean it, R183!

by Anonymousreply 185September 2, 2016 2:45 AM

R183 IT'S MOMMIE DEAREST!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186September 2, 2016 2:46 AM

Facebook me bitches

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187September 2, 2016 2:46 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188September 2, 2016 2:47 AM

Chesterfields, R188?

by Anonymousreply 189September 2, 2016 2:49 AM

Faye actually came in second at the New York Film Critics and National Society of film critics

Back then there were really only four major critics groups so Miss Dunaway did get some respect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190September 2, 2016 3:03 AM

R20, you sound very confused. And I don't agree that the movie is "not hated." I know for a fact that some people hate it, including me, for many reasons but mostly because it's such a horrendous hatchet job on Joan Crawford. Even if everything in it is true (which I doubt), and even if she was a truly vile human being and an awful mother, then someone should have made a SERIOUS movie about all that, rather than a laughable camp-fest with a ridiculous, Kabuki-like performance by FD.

by Anonymousreply 191September 2, 2016 3:07 AM

I do like the scene where LB Mayer tells Joan, "It's already been done! All your shit is packed in your car."

by Anonymousreply 192September 2, 2016 3:09 AM

FYI, Joan was not fired by Metro. She bought herself out of her contract because she kept getting shit roles and wanted out. Joan getting fired was one of several facts the movie got wrong.

by Anonymousreply 193September 2, 2016 3:14 AM

I'll never forgive Andrew Lloyd Weber for denying us Faye's Norma.

by Anonymousreply 194September 2, 2016 3:14 AM

I've packed your shit, Joanie. Get out!

by Anonymousreply 195September 2, 2016 3:22 AM

Jesus her son is cute. And I've heard that he is family.

by Anonymousreply 196September 2, 2016 3:27 AM

Well I certainly didn't use a SURROGATE!!

by Anonymousreply 197September 2, 2016 3:35 AM

Jesus has his father's dreamy eyes, but Liam is way cuter.

by Anonymousreply 198September 2, 2016 3:37 AM

R193, I believe she bought out her Warner Bros. contract. She was released from Metro by "mutual agreement" which was supposedly to allow her to save face.

by Anonymousreply 199September 2, 2016 3:42 AM

Faye was also not above to guest starring on TV shows, like "Grey's Anatomy".

She also made an appearance on one of the CSI franchises several years ago. At the time, her teeth were brand new--and Faye grinned throughout the episode.

by Anonymousreply 200September 2, 2016 4:04 AM

David Denby comparing the wire spanking scene in Shoot the Moon to those of M.D. :

"This extraordinary scene, almost Sophoclean in its combined power, complexity, and piteousness, shows up a similar bit of hanger whomping in Mommie Dearest for the flamboyantly absurd atrocity that it is."

I always thought that comparison was spot on. The movie is a freaking circus.

by Anonymousreply 201September 2, 2016 4:48 AM

But the sumo wrestling scene in Mommie Dearest made the one in Shoot The Moon look like dinner theater.

by Anonymousreply 202September 2, 2016 4:51 AM

And don't get me started on the stump-pulling scenes.

by Anonymousreply 203September 2, 2016 5:21 AM

She's terrible in this movie. You can tell she was on drugs and had no idea how to play her.

by Anonymousreply 204September 2, 2016 6:10 AM

Joan bought out her MGM contract, not Warners.

by Anonymousreply 205September 2, 2016 6:44 AM

Bit he's, Done Fade away only needs Mommies Dearest to go on a franchise.

A special clause of her contract should mention that no cup of urine would be allowed to fly on the set.

by Anonymousreply 206September 2, 2016 7:03 AM

Faye trying to resurrect her career by playing a Jewish housewife with a gay son in Twilight of the Golds. Love her fucked up accent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207September 2, 2016 10:45 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208September 2, 2016 10:58 AM

True story, r174 : Lucy was asked to play the Joan Crawford role in Mommy Dearest, but Gary Morton talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 209September 2, 2016 11:21 AM

The film itself is standard made-for-TV stuff, really not good enough for the big screen. Diana Scarwid was atrocious. The little girl who played little Christina was great though.

Now, regarding Faye's performance as Joan. I had a mother who was a little bit of a diva and had rages of the "No wire hangers ever" variety, and Faye nailed it as far as I'm concerned. When someone goes into a tantrum like that you don't know whether to run away or laugh in their face. If you're a child under their control and you don't dare laugh or run away, you are absolutely terrified, humiliated, and disgusted.

My theory is that the people who accuse Faye of being bad or over the top in this role either don't know what they're talking about or do and are in denial. I think she delivered a performance that suited the material, took the risk of making herself look like a clown in the process and paid for it, but she doesn't deserve the ongoing cheap scorn she's gotten. I wish she'd been allowed to be proud of this performance because she was just telling the truth about what brutal people are really like. They're not Hannibal Lecter, they're Joan Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 210September 2, 2016 11:34 AM

Of course it did some damage to her career that her "performance" in that execrable film was such a piece of utter exaggerated fiction masquerading as the truth. I am and always was, an original, and simply can't be imitated. Bette was furious when I had to dub my voice for her in BABY JANE. What really hurt Miss Dunaway's career, however, is that she's crazier than a shit-house rat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211September 2, 2016 11:59 AM

The same year MD came out is also the same year Faye turned 40. That had something to do with it, too.

by Anonymousreply 212September 2, 2016 12:08 PM

R12, I'm not sure if this has already been stated in the thread, since I haven't read it all, and just now got to your comment, but Mommie Dearest is a film that is reveered on Data Lounge. Outside of DL, people remember Faye for Chinatown, Bonnie and Clyde, and Network. I'm not sure why she believes that Mommie Dearest is her definitive role, because outside of DL, everyone discusses Chinatown as her best film.

by Anonymousreply 213September 2, 2016 12:37 PM

And what was I, chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 214September 2, 2016 12:44 PM

It's good to see old Faye is still singing the same tune for the past 30+ years. What she just can't admit is, a big part of her glamorous draw was her physical beauty, and she got old.

She's a good actress as well of course. So in her day people were willing to put up with her tantrums to get the skill and the glamour. But once she started fraying ... why put up with her?

by Anonymousreply 215September 2, 2016 12:48 PM

Faye was so gorgeous, and really fucked up her face with the awful work she had done. She should've taken a cue from her contemporary Jane Fonda on how to do cosmetic surgery right.

by Anonymousreply 216September 2, 2016 1:13 PM

Christina, bring me the ack!

by Anonymousreply 217September 2, 2016 3:26 PM

R134 Scarwid had been nominated for an Oscar the previous year (for INSIDE MOVES) , so that may have had something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 218September 2, 2016 3:53 PM

Faye was supposedly writing a book on the making of Mommie Dearest. What happened to that?

by Anonymousreply 219September 2, 2016 3:55 PM

R184 true. Creawford made Quigley's annual list of Top Ten Box Office Champions several times in the thirties, but Faye never dit.

by Anonymousreply 220September 2, 2016 3:56 PM

Remember when Faye did that AMA on Twitter two years ago and even said she would answer MOMMIE DEAREST questions? Did anyone take her up on it?

by Anonymousreply 221September 2, 2016 3:57 PM

R194 how come?

by Anonymousreply 222September 2, 2016 3:57 PM

i love the fact the miss Dunaway is on twitter. For some reason it cracks me up. (alas, her account has not been used since 2014)

by Anonymousreply 223September 2, 2016 4:00 PM

Faye was way better in MD than Streep was in THE IRON LADY. Streep was great in the elderly scenes, but for most of the film, she was atrocious. A truly kabuki performance. And yet she won her THIRD Oscar and the film (which was equally terrible) was a hit. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 224September 2, 2016 4:00 PM

Joan was a carpet muncher. Mommie Dearest was totally inaccurate in this regard

by Anonymousreply 225September 2, 2016 4:11 PM

R225, I was under the impression that Christina had addressed Joan's carpet munching in the book. I have not read it myself, so I'm not sure.

by Anonymousreply 226September 2, 2016 4:15 PM

maybe Crawford's memory wouldn't have been dragged through the mud if she wasn't such a bitch to her kids.

maybe Faye would have had a better career if she were nicer to work with?

by Anonymousreply 227September 2, 2016 4:34 PM

Do you think Joan had NPD?

by Anonymousreply 228September 2, 2016 4:38 PM

R200, Faye was also not above doing "The Starlet" for WB. Don't call us, we'll call you.

by Anonymousreply 229September 2, 2016 4:46 PM

R220, maybe Faye never made the Quigley's list several times in the Thirties like Joan DID because she wasn't born until 1941.

by Anonymousreply 230September 2, 2016 4:51 PM

R230 I meant in her heyday.

by Anonymousreply 231September 2, 2016 4:54 PM

If her career was ruined, it had NOTHING to do with Mommie Dearest. She was always the shopgirl, who fought her way to the top. She wasn't that little shopgirl anymore...truth is, she was getting old.

by Anonymousreply 232September 2, 2016 5:03 PM

Has anyone read Rutanya Alda's book, The Mommie Dearest Diary: Carol Ann Tells All? I'm saving it for an upcoming flight.

by Anonymousreply 233September 2, 2016 5:06 PM

[quote]I don't think there is any question that MD was the catalyst that threw Dunaway's career off course. Yes, she had a bad reputation for being difficult to work with (and all the fights, tantrums, nastiness, etc. that goes with that), but she's hardly the first or the last actor to have that kind of a label slapped on them.

She was the first that I ever saw get slammed for being difficult by an even bigger star in public. Didn't Bette Davis single Faye out for being horrible to work with on the Tonight show or some such show?

by Anonymousreply 234September 2, 2016 5:16 PM

Has anyone brought up the rumor that Faye was a heroin junkie at the time -- and that is why she got sloppy with her performance?

by Anonymousreply 235September 2, 2016 5:17 PM

[quote]Remember when Faye did that AMA on Twitter two years ago and even said she would answer MOMMIE DEAREST questions? Did anyone take her up on it?

I tweeted with her but it was for LAURA MARS, not MOMMIE.

by Anonymousreply 236September 2, 2016 5:27 PM

Kabuki is the new Camp.

by Anonymousreply 237September 2, 2016 5:27 PM

Eyes of Laura Mars is a steaming pile of dogshit.

by Anonymousreply 238September 2, 2016 5:28 PM

Yes R234. Johnny Carson asked her who was difficult and she blasted Faye.

At 10:10 below

"For One Million Dollars - Faye Dunaway. Everybody you can put in this chair will tell you exactly the same thing."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239September 2, 2016 5:37 PM

Essential Faye.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240September 2, 2016 6:11 PM

that pic is fabulous and iconic.

by Anonymousreply 241September 2, 2016 7:03 PM

Rutanya Alda wrote a book? Who the fuck cares about HER? The things some people will do for publicity.

by Anonymousreply 242September 2, 2016 8:28 PM

Isn't she married to Alan? That's pretty important. Hardly C-list.

by Anonymousreply 243September 2, 2016 9:09 PM

I'll second the person who said that, in real life, when you see someone psychotic behaving the way Faye did as Joan, you want to laugh. It's ridiculous, but it's truthful to how certain kinds of people behave. It's like Piper Laurie in Carrie. I always felt her and Faye's performances were somewhat similar. They walk that fine line between terrifying and hysterically funny, because they're playing crazy so well. They go for broke. Not too many actors will do that. They took big chances and ended up creating iconic roles.

Think about how awful a new Mommie Dearest would be. First of all, it'd probably be made for Lifetime these days, but the actress playing Joan would be so terrified of going over the top that it wouldn't work at all. The same thing happened when Carrie was remade. Patricia Clarkson and Julianne Moore are both phenomenal actresses, but they're takes on Piper Laurie's role in their respective remakes of Carrie put me to sleep. You could feel that they were walking on eggshells and trying not to go into "camp" territory. There are some characters that must be played larger than life. That's how they're written. There's still ways to find shade and nuance here and there, but it doesn't work if they're played like shrinking violets.

by Anonymousreply 244September 2, 2016 9:31 PM

Faye's twitter was hysterical.

[quote]Answering one question per day. Make them great and keep it #Classy. The moment someone asks something inappropriate or rude I will stop.

by Anonymousreply 245September 2, 2016 11:02 PM

Faye has stated her boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 246September 2, 2016 11:16 PM

Bette Davis talks shit about Faye to Johnny Carson, starting at 10:15.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247September 2, 2016 11:39 PM

R247, thanks for that. Bette was a funny woman. Very charismatic.

Did Bette suffer from Anorexia? It's very common among the elderly.

by Anonymousreply 248September 2, 2016 11:56 PM

I think this scene is one of the most hilarious moments - the actress playing Christina is just so TERRIBLE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249September 2, 2016 11:56 PM

Bette probably hated Faye because she played her archnemesis Joan. So it was more hate aimed at Joan and Faye got caught in the crossfire.

by Anonymousreply 250September 2, 2016 11:57 PM

[quote] No contest!

Why must EVERYTHING be a CONTEST?

by Anonymousreply 251September 3, 2016 12:08 AM

[quote] Isn't she married to Alan? That's pretty important. Hardly C-list.

No, she's not, nor is she related to them in any way. Alda is her middle name.

by Anonymousreply 252September 3, 2016 12:10 AM

[quote] Has anyone read Rutanya Alda's book, The Mommie Dearest Diary: Carol Ann Tells All? I'm saving it for an upcoming flight.

3 pages of interesting stretched beyond recognition

by Anonymousreply 253September 3, 2016 12:11 AM

When Christina says "Because I am not one of your FAAAAAAANNNNNNSSSS!!!!" does she mean that she's not one of Joan's devotees or that she herself is not a fan of Joan?

by Anonymousreply 254September 3, 2016 12:14 AM

Both

by Anonymousreply 255September 3, 2016 12:21 AM

Bette Davis was in the Disappearance of Aimee with Faye in 1976 r250 That's at least four years before Faye did MD.

by Anonymousreply 256September 3, 2016 12:22 AM

r248 that Carson appearance wasn't too long before she died. At the time, her cancer had come back and was terminal but the public didn't know until after her death. She was so quick and funny and witty, even in her decrepit state she still commanded your attention and Carson was obviously very fond of her. No celeb today could make such an impact on a talk show like Bette did.

by Anonymousreply 257September 3, 2016 1:00 AM

Steve Forrest was a hot daddy.

by Anonymousreply 258September 3, 2016 1:07 AM

I would've rode him like a rodeo clown.

by Anonymousreply 259September 3, 2016 1:30 AM

You know you're in trouble when a man in drag plays a better Crawford than you do....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260September 3, 2016 2:58 AM

[quote] Is [R9] the Grand maul troll? I'm seeing this bad spelling showing up in other threads and it's disturbing.

Why is it disturbing?

by Anonymousreply 261September 3, 2016 3:26 AM

I love that post-pic picture of Faye even if it's staged.

She really threw away her potential with drugs but will never be honest about it.

by Anonymousreply 262September 3, 2016 3:26 AM

R260 is that a preview of Feud? Same concept, right?

by Anonymousreply 263September 3, 2016 3:29 AM

Take this you Joan Crawford apologist CUNT earlier up thread!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264September 3, 2016 3:43 AM

Aside from Streisand, Fonda, Minnelli, Goldie and Sally, none of these choices make much sense. Keaton became a big star in the 70s but via Woody and was never a money draw. And Bergen? Bissett? Who made this list.

by Anonymousreply 265September 3, 2016 3:48 AM

There's still hope for her to become a real gay icon. She should embrace the campiness of MOMMIE DEAREST and tour around hosting the movie.

by Anonymousreply 266September 3, 2016 3:48 AM

It's funny how Mommie Dearest looks like a Ryan Murohy show.

by Anonymousreply 267September 3, 2016 3:49 AM

R265 Agreed. Quigley's doesn't list Dunaway on any of its lists for the '70s,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268September 3, 2016 3:54 AM

R265, who would you have put on the list. It's a fact that there were so few roles for women and even fewer women stars.

by Anonymousreply 269September 3, 2016 4:02 AM

I'll take Faye's performance in MD over Hepburn's in On Golden Pond, Streep in The French Lieutenant's Woman, Keaton in Reds, Mason in Only When I Laugh, and ESPECIALLY Sarandon in Atlantic City.

You never hear those performances referenced today like you do Dunaway's iconic performance.

And I get so tired of the complaint that her acting was over the top. She was playing JOAN CRAWFORD having BREAKDOWNS, subtlety ain't the way to go - and God knows the book wasn't subtle.

Plus - why do male actors get a pass for being over the top or campy? Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood? Pacino in Scent of a Woman? De Niro in too many to mention....

by Anonymousreply 270September 3, 2016 4:06 AM

The IMDb list at R264 was made by a FAN. It's not an official list

by Anonymousreply 271September 3, 2016 4:07 AM

Yes I know, that's why I used over the top language in presenting it

by Anonymousreply 272September 3, 2016 4:08 AM

It's iconically BAD

by Anonymousreply 273September 3, 2016 4:09 AM

It's iconically GREAT.

by Anonymousreply 274September 3, 2016 4:12 AM

r270 you have a good point. Nobody could ever play Joan Crawford and not be over the top, because Crawford HERSELF was over the top. She was a total high-strung diva throughout her life. A portrayal of Crawford could never be done with any subtlety. It a biopic of Bette Davis were ever made, the same would be true of her.

by Anonymousreply 275September 3, 2016 4:21 AM

Faye played her with one note - screech

by Anonymousreply 276September 3, 2016 4:25 AM

Welcome to Datalounge where we make the same three points over and over and over again until there are 600 responses and the next chapter of the thread comes to a close and then a sequel thread is started and a new idea is introduced and people respond to that and then somebody says, "To go back to something in the first thread," or "To add on to something from the original thread," and the three things are repeated yet again.

Faye's diva craziness ruined her career. Faye needed a strong director to reign her in. It was all Diana Scarwid's fault.

To piggy back on something R 277 said, Faye needed a strong director to corral her.

by Anonymousreply 277September 3, 2016 4:28 AM

Faye doesn't say MD ruined her career in the People article.

She says: “I think it turned my career in a direction where people would irretrievably have the wrong impression of me,” Dunaway explained of the performance, which reached screens five years after she won her Oscar for Network. “And that’s an awful hard thing to beat,” she said, perhaps referring to Crawford’s diva reputation, which shadowed Dunaway even while making the film. She added, “I should have known better, but sometimes you’re vulnerable and you don’t realize what you’re getting into.” Dunaway concluded, “But you can’t be ashamed of the work you’ve done. You make a decision, and then you have to live with the consequences.”

by Anonymousreply 278September 3, 2016 4:28 AM

Faye HERSELF didn't blame Mommie Dearest. She just needed a strong director to reign her in.

by Anonymousreply 279September 3, 2016 4:30 AM

Well, the title of this thread has quotation marks around the sentence implying it is a quote from Faye in the article - LIIIEEEES!

by Anonymousreply 280September 3, 2016 4:34 AM

Has anybody ever wondered if the movie would have been better if a stronger director had handled Faye in Mommie Dearest? Would she have won an Oscar for Barf-ly?

by Anonymousreply 281September 3, 2016 4:38 AM

Dunaway has recently acknowledged that she needed a strong director to reign her in. I didn't even finish watching Mommie Dearest. I don't like Joan Crawford movies. The one who played Joan's daughter was terrible. Crawford looks scary in this film, beautiful but too over the top.

by Anonymousreply 282September 3, 2016 4:40 AM

No, nobody on this thread has ever wondered that.

by Anonymousreply 283September 3, 2016 4:40 AM

I hope this is still happening.

I'm a fan of HAND OF GOD, and she will be great as the villainous matriarch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284September 3, 2016 4:43 AM

What strong director might have reigned Faye in? Kevin Smith?

by Anonymousreply 285September 3, 2016 4:45 AM

Otto Preminger

Inside joke if you know their history from Hurry Sundown

by Anonymousreply 286September 3, 2016 4:47 AM

Might Terry Hands have reigned Faye in?

by Anonymousreply 287September 3, 2016 4:50 AM

Barbra Streisand should have directed Faye in MD.

That would have cured her of the directing bug and we would have been saved from Yentl and The Mirror has Three Chins

by Anonymousreply 288September 3, 2016 4:55 AM

Okay, after googling Terry Hands = that actually is a brilliant idea.

by Anonymousreply 289September 3, 2016 5:07 AM

....but then again, the argument must be made - does any gay man, gay woman, or straight movie lover really want a reigned in Faye Dunaway playing Joan Crawford in Mommie Deares?

by Anonymousreply 290September 3, 2016 5:09 AM

Not sure if mentioned unthread, but Faye was infamous for driving up to the old Video West in West Hollywood and laying on her horn for a clerk to come out to drop her videos off.

by Anonymousreply 291September 3, 2016 5:13 AM

My favorite story is a neighbor of Faye's when she lived on Spaulding stating that he or she saw Faye in the alleyway behind her house screaming at an abandoned refrigerator!

I will always love Faye just for the image it provides me.

I prefer my legendary Oscar Winning actresses to be Norma Desmond crazy, rather than attending political conventions giving everyone the stinkeye, or washing their children's fruits and vegetables to rid them of the pesticides.

My other favorite Faye story is : During the tour for Master Class, the producers hired someone to follow Faye around during the day to make sure she'd be to the theater on time. Faye was driving herself around one day, stopped her car in mid traffic leaving it running, and fled into a Catholic Cathedral to call her producer Bob Whitehead to tell him breathlessly to hurry and send help because she was being followed by a mysterious black car.

by Anonymousreply 292September 3, 2016 5:25 AM

It's [italic]rein[/italic] in, not [italic]reign[/italic] in. You would pull a horse's [italic]reins[/italic] to hold back or steer the horse to change direction. [italic]Reign[/italic] is synonymous to rule over such as what a monarch does in order to rule.

by Anonymousreply 293September 3, 2016 5:31 AM

[quote]Otto Preminger. Inside joke if you know their history from Hurry Sundown

You mean MY film? Bitch had a career because of roles I turned down after that.

by Anonymousreply 294September 3, 2016 5:33 AM

Thank you. That's what I get for typing after a few glasses of wine.

by Anonymousreply 295September 3, 2016 5:33 AM

I'm a scat queen that ate a lot of shit during her reign!

by Anonymousreply 296September 3, 2016 5:33 AM

Yes Jane, you made SHITTY decisions in the early 70s, but you didn't turn down Bonnie and Clyde because you were preggers.

And Faye turned down the Redgrave role in Julia because as Faye put it to me - I'd call Fonda a cunt but she lacks the warmth and depth.

by Anonymousreply 297September 3, 2016 5:36 AM

[quote]Welcome to Datalounge where we make the same three points over and over and over again until there are 600 responses and the next chapter of the thread comes to a close and then a sequel thread is started and a new idea is introduced and people respond to that and then somebody says, "To go back to something in the first thread," or "To add on to something from the original thread," and the three things are repeated yet again.

Wow, did you ever sum up this thread correctly. I was wondering 200 posts ago ifI should stop reading since nothing new was being said. But I couldn't sleep and BBAD is boring so here I am...

by Anonymousreply 298September 3, 2016 5:48 AM

But everything old is new again....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299September 3, 2016 6:03 AM

Faye looks great in that clip R299. She can't sing but man she had long legs! Cute number.

by Anonymousreply 300September 3, 2016 6:12 AM

Dunaway in MD, Streep in The Iron Lady... Either can be declared brilliance, or horrible. I think Faye was unintentionally hilarious. Streep was just astonishing even though the film wasn't great. I certainly can't think of an actress other than Streep who can DO what she did in The Iron Lady.

by Anonymousreply 301September 3, 2016 6:43 AM

thank you r301.

Write to me and I'll send you a free screener of Florence Foster Jenkins.

by Anonymousreply 302September 3, 2016 6:47 AM

R16, Yes, a better strategy is work up some serious actress cred before going camp, Grotesque Shrew. To go from 0 to 100, her one-woman show should've been something less caricatured. It was easily conflated with the stigma against aging "sex symbols" - they become grotesque shrews overnight, as soon as they become unfuckable.

by Anonymousreply 303September 3, 2016 7:22 AM

"Can it be true that one of this generation's greatest actresses, maybe even the greatest—a national treasure, you might say—has never been in a film as good as Network, which isn't even Faye Dunaway's best movie?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304September 3, 2016 9:19 AM

Not sure about now, but years back, c. 1990, Faye was a boozer. A friend of a friend at a party had worked—briefly—as her personal assistant and told me she found empty vodka bottles in her desk. And that she'd crashed her car up on Mulholland Drive late one night.

She also rented/lived in a house in a nice but not star-studded part of LA,, kind of near Beverly Center/Hamburger Hamlet (not the one on Sunset). A friend lived a few doors down from her and said she was a bit eccentric. Taking to the trash in a huff and sweeping the sidewalk at night.

I saw Faye when Sharon Stone got her star on Hollywood Blvd (when Casino came out) and they both looked fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 305September 3, 2016 10:19 AM

Bette Davis also lived in West Hollywood, in The Colonial House. Better neighborhood. A friend rang her apartment once by mistake. Bette looked over the edge of her deck and then turned the hose on him. He was standing there soaking wet. She got a kick out of it. He said he heard her famous "Baby Jane" cackle as she went back inside her apartment.

by Anonymousreply 306September 3, 2016 10:42 AM

[quote] Has anybody ever wondered if the movie would have been better if a stronger director had handled Faye in Mommie Dearest?

Just the 3,876,567,409,103 other threads on the same topic....

by Anonymousreply 307September 3, 2016 10:57 AM

Thank you Faye for your brilliant portrayal of Joan! And thank you writers for giving gay generations to come plenty of laughs and imitations to do. My str8 nephew quotes lines so it is not only gays who adore this campy movie. And thank you costume designer for gorgeous clothes . And thank you Marlon Brando's sister for your right on portrayal as "Barbara".

by Anonymousreply 308September 3, 2016 11:21 AM

ffarrrt

by Anonymousreply 309September 3, 2016 11:31 AM

Even your farts have a haughty affected sound, Faye.

Sorry, honey,, it's time to hang it up.

Get me a younger actress on line 3!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310September 3, 2016 11:45 AM

Faye's home in WeHo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311September 3, 2016 12:42 PM

r213, I disagree. Mommie dearest is like one of those popular films that most people have actually never seen. Buts its epic moments are legendary. It practically created its own genre of thriller/horror even though it was intended as a serious drama. There would be no fatal attraction, and a host of other films if not for MD.

by Anonymousreply 312September 3, 2016 1:02 PM

She's embarrassed by how badly camp it turned out to be. She was good in it, but she amped up the camp factor, too. But a lot of it had to do with the production and the other actors.

by Anonymousreply 313September 3, 2016 1:09 PM

Ohhhhh! She's embarrassed by THE CAMP FACTOR. Of course. Perhaps a stronger director could have guided her to a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 314September 3, 2016 2:48 PM

Faye needed a director who could rein her in. No one's straight nephew quotes lines from this stupid film. It's a dull movie aside from the c a m p i n e s s.

by Anonymousreply 315September 3, 2016 3:35 PM

The movie needed a long, solo shower scene with Steve Forrest.

And also maybe a stronger director. Anybody ever think of that? Camp. Campiness.

by Anonymousreply 316September 3, 2016 5:07 PM

Mmm, Daddy Steve Forrest, long, solo shower scenes...me likey...

And maybe let's give Steve a male love interest...or a dozen...next time...

Let's give R316 a pre-production deal to start working on the "Mommie Dearest" remake.

(And let's stop wasting time making excuses for that dried-up old hag Faye Dunaway.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317September 3, 2016 5:21 PM

Steve Forrest needed a looser director to rain all over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318September 3, 2016 5:24 PM

The only way to "reign" in Faye would be to put a bit in her mouth...

And she'd be hard to fit with a bridle now that she has all those newish fake teeth...

NOT TO MENTION, how Faye embarrassed herself trying to slip in and out of that cringe-worthy Jewish mother accent in the movie clip posted above...they should show that in film schools...AS A WARNING TO YOUNG ACTORS...

Don't try to do unfamiliar accents or dialects if you're not Tracey Ullman. The truth is that even the great "M", as much as she is touted for that particular skill, has been less than convincing on occasion. There are very few people, much less actors, who have that particular gift...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319September 3, 2016 5:32 PM

Faye should have had an illustrious career after a network, but she was/is a drug addict and ruined her career. Streep took over and Faye was in a haze.

by Anonymousreply 320September 3, 2016 5:52 PM

I guess the Screen Actor's Guild disagrees that Faye was embarrassing in Twilight of the Golds since she got a nomination for Outstanding Performance by a Lead Actress for that performance. But I guess DL knows better than the professional actors that make up the guild.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321September 3, 2016 6:37 PM

I wanted Steve Forrest to fuck me in that multiple shower head thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322September 3, 2016 8:22 PM

Jane was honest in her autobiography about how she regretted turning down "Bonnie and Clyde" after it became such a huge commercial success. I've never heard her blame pregnancy for turning down the role.

She's open about how her marriage to Vadim was in shambles. She was neurotic about approaching age 30. She felt the need to come back to the U.S. to make more movies but it was a hard period for her. Jane was becoming more politically involved and didn't want to be type cast as a bimbo after "Barbarella".

Jane made "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" about the time - maybe a year or so later - after "Bonnie and Clyde" was released. And I would argue that "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?", while a riskier choice for Jane, is a far better film in every way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323September 3, 2016 8:40 PM

STFU and get over it, Faye!

by Anonymousreply 324September 3, 2016 8:58 PM

I love that quote from the disgruntled costume designer, who said that before one approaches Joan Crawford, it's best to throw a raw steak into her dressing room.

by Anonymousreply 325September 4, 2016 1:03 AM

Umm, that was Irene Sharaff speaking about Faye Dunaway, R325.

by Anonymousreply 326September 4, 2016 1:10 AM

[quote]No one's straight nephew quotes lines from this stupid film.

Several quotes from the film are ingrained in the public consciousness. For example, "No more wire hangers!" Most people (gay or straight) have heard that phrase. You don't have to be gay or have watched the film to have heard it/know it.

by Anonymousreply 327September 4, 2016 5:57 PM

[quote]Jane was honest in her autobiography about how she regretted turning down "Bonnie and Clyde" after it became such a huge commercial success. I've never heard her blame pregnancy for turning down the role.

Huh. Four years ago, she was on WWHL, and Andy asked her what was one major role that she auditioned for and was pissed not to get, and she said BONNIE AND CLYDE. So it sounds like it wasn't her choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328September 4, 2016 6:05 PM

"Several quotes from the film are ingrained in the public consciousness."

Millennials are the largest living demographic and Joan and Mommie Dearest and certainly Dunn Fadeaway mean absolutely nothing to most of them.

Time has moved on, boomers.

by Anonymousreply 329September 4, 2016 6:06 PM

R329 what are you, their representative?

by Anonymousreply 330September 4, 2016 6:16 PM

Then jump on R327, whose incorrect generalization I was responding to.

Hate seems like a strong emotion.

I work with millennials. Many have no idea who Lucille Ball was. People who are making generalizations should maybe realize that outside their bubble, the generally understood cultural universals could be meaningful.

by Anonymousreply 331September 4, 2016 6:36 PM

Or meaningless!

by Anonymousreply 332September 4, 2016 6:41 PM

r329, thats not true. The millennials that matter know Mommie Dearest.

by Anonymousreply 333September 4, 2016 6:41 PM

I am desperate and vulnerable. ... I am always terrified.... Beauty can sometimes be so very troublesome. Faye Dunaway

by Anonymousreply 334September 4, 2016 7:58 PM

It's interesting as one grows older to keep in touch with the cutting edge. Faye Dunaway

by Anonymousreply 335September 4, 2016 8:18 PM

When I think of Peter Wolf I always remember the Portuguese proverb: 'Never say you will not drink from that glass again.' - Faye Dunaway

by Anonymousreply 336September 4, 2016 8:19 PM

I like being very busy. I think that's the definition of stardom, really. It's energy. It really is. Faye Dunaway

by Anonymousreply 337September 4, 2016 8:21 PM

Jane hates Faye

by Anonymousreply 338September 5, 2016 2:13 AM

[quote] [R329], thats not true. The millennials that matter know Mommie Dearest.

Sorry, no.

No one knows Mommie Dearest, or Lucy, outside of a handful of baby gays.

Some MAY know John Waters.

For most of them, "Drop Dead Gorgeous" and "Mean Girls" are vintage edgy movies.

by Anonymousreply 339September 5, 2016 2:46 AM

r339, your an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 340September 5, 2016 2:56 AM

[quote] your an idiot.

Ohh the irony!

by Anonymousreply 341September 5, 2016 3:00 AM

By 1986, she was starring in the TV movie Beverly Hills Madam. She did look gorgeous, and actually like herself — as if she'd had a very good, Sherrill Aston-level facelift. But immediately after that, she went nuts with the plastic surgery and destroyed her face, then kept worsening it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342September 5, 2016 3:34 AM

Then Jane is still being honest, R328, if she says she auditioned for Bonnie and Clyde and didn't get it, I believe her. But she's not lying and saying that pregnancy kept her from doing the movie as the poster above suggested. That was my point.

It's been years since I read Jane's autobiography, but it's one of the best and the most honest I've ever read. I love Jane and how she stood up to all the haters, the liars, and the bullies. She takes responsibility for her mistakes, and she doesn't sit around blaming others. She's had a remarkable life and she's still going strong.

I also have a copy of her book on my iPod that I listen to periodically.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343September 5, 2016 3:52 AM

OOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooook!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344September 5, 2016 4:01 AM

R344 = I have a small penis (or clitty as I like to call it) and I don't charge extra for anal, fisting, or gangbangs.

by Anonymousreply 345September 5, 2016 4:10 AM

Didn't Beatty want Natalie Wood for Bonnie and Clyde initially, but she turned it down because she didn't want to be away from her therapist for several months? She had attempted suicide not long before and I think saw her shrink daily during that time.

I think Faye is the only holdout that doesn't embrace the campiness/kitsch of the movie. I think Rutanya Alda (Carol Ann) Mara Hobel (Young Christina) and Diana Scarwid have all done Q&A's of the movie.

I wonder if Bancroft thought the MD script was too much in the vein of Lipstick as far as how over the top it was. She barely escaped that film unscathed.

by Anonymousreply 346September 5, 2016 4:53 AM

Also Faye, like most of the top 70's actresses were being ushered out by another new group of women (Streep, Field, Spacek, Lange, etc...).

by Anonymousreply 347September 5, 2016 4:57 AM

Over the top, moi?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348September 5, 2016 5:00 AM

I learned fairly recently that Faye's longtime boyfriend, Peter Wolf of the J Geils Band and she was into the heroin.

by Anonymousreply 349September 5, 2016 5:08 AM

Faye was married to Peter R349 and the heroin rumors had been around forever.

by Anonymousreply 350September 5, 2016 5:19 AM

She hasn't done a movie in over 15 years+...how does she live without working?

by Anonymousreply 351September 5, 2016 5:24 AM

[quote]Also Faye, like most of the top 70's actresses were being ushered out by another new group of women (Streep, Field, Spacek, Lange, etc...).

My name isn't "etc.", you fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 352September 5, 2016 5:44 AM

Neither is mine...you fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 353September 5, 2016 5:46 AM

Ditto, fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 354September 5, 2016 5:48 AM

Fuck off and die, fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 355September 5, 2016 5:49 AM

Bite me, fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 356September 5, 2016 7:23 AM

[quote]She hasn't done a movie in over 15 years+...how does she live without working?

saved the money from when she was working, this ain't rocket science folks

by Anonymousreply 357September 5, 2016 7:24 AM

She's had money troubles, R357. She has continued to downsized in recent years. At one point, she was said to have invested a lot of her personal money into a project that didn't do well. Maybe even more than one.

by Anonymousreply 358September 5, 2016 11:06 AM

What does her son do for a living?

by Anonymousreply 359September 5, 2016 12:41 PM

I always wondered about the Peter Wolf heroin connection. But if she was on heroin with him, she was giving some of her best performances. She married him the year she did Chinatown. She divorced him five years later in '79 and two years later did MD. During that period with Wolf she did the Aimee McPherson movie for which she was crucified by Bette Davis on the Dick Cavett show.

Liza Minelli married hot sculptor Mark Gero from '79 to '82, which were her Halston, Studio 54 years. All her friends thought she was going to die just like her mother from all the coke and quaaludes.

Both Dunaway and Minelli lost sight of themselves during those years. They started acting very grand and became undependable (like Marilyn). But Jane Fonda never did drugs. She always had her wits about her and even though she was true Hollywood royalty, never acted grander than she was. Her thing was to subjugate herself to the men in her life. Fonda's perseverance allowed her to hold on to her reputation as one of the world's greatest actresses who doesn't cause trouble on sets.

by Anonymousreply 360September 5, 2016 12:46 PM

Liza was married to Mark Gero from 1979 to 1992.

by Anonymousreply 361September 5, 2016 1:12 PM

As noted, 40 was ancient for women then, and Jane had to step aside after bombs like Old Gringo and Stanley and Iris. Streep and then Bullock changed the dynamic for women in their 40's, 50's, and even 60's as leads who brought in millions of dollars.

Faye blew it with Mommie Dearest, Supergirl, etc.

by Anonymousreply 362September 5, 2016 5:29 PM

Liam Dunaway O'Neill's profession is listed as: Actor. He has an IMDB page with just three credits, one in which he plays Liam O'Neill. He's very handsome, so I figure he must be a pretty bad actor. Maybe he should take a (cough cough) Master Class.

I read this re his adoption:

[quote]Faye Dunaway's ex-husband, Terry O'Neill has revealed that her son, Liam, was actually adopted. The British photographer has tried to set the record straight after 23 years, as Academy Award-winning actress, Dunaway, has been trying to convince people that she is Liam's biological mother since his birth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363September 5, 2016 8:54 PM

She has given the same, monotone performance in every movie that she's made. I don't get the love for her. She's not a great actress. Her turn as Joan Crawford was the only time that she varied from all of her other performances. And that only happened because she had to heighten her camp factor. She should be forever thankful for that movie. She would not have gone on to greater roles because she had no greater parts that she could have done better than her better contemporaries.

by Anonymousreply 364September 5, 2016 9:50 PM

Dunaway had a strikingly uneven career well before she made Mommie Dearest. She worked with a TON of prestigious directors but she seemed to catch almost all of them at their worst.

Her first feature was Hurry Sundown, directed by Otto Preminger, which received very bad notices (but Faye won the Golden Globe for Most Promising Female Newcomer or something like that).

Next she did the comedy The Happening for Elliot Silverstein, who was mainly a TV director but he had just done Cat Ballou, which was hugely successful - unfortunately he couldn't recreate the magic this time.

Then she struck gold with Bonnie and Clyde, directed by Arthur Penn. After that it seemed every successful director in the world wanted to work with her.

She next starred in The Thomas Crowne Affair for Norman Jewison, an unsuccessful movie.

Next up was A Place for Lovers from Vittorio De Sica, who had helmed the brilliant The Bicycle Thief, but this time the results were dreadful.

So she turned to director John Frankenheimer for The Extraordinary Seaman and got another failure.

She then teamed up with the legendary Elia Kazan for The Arrangement, and yet again got another disappointing film.

Arthur Penn then cast her in Little Big Man, which was a successful film but it was considered to be Dustin Hoffman's film and didn't do much for her career.

After that she agreed to work with first time director Jerry Schatzberg in Puzzle of a Downfall Child. Never heard of it? Yeah, neither has anyone else in this dud.

Then she signed on to work with legendary French film director René Clément in The Deadly Trap. Yikes, another mess of a film.

Her next film was for director Frank Perry, not notable at the time, but he would go on to direct her in [drum roll....] Mommie Dearest. This time Perry directed her in Doc, not a very successful film.

After that her career started back on an upward trajectory, first with Stanley Kramer's Oklahoma Crude, and then with Richard Lester's The Three Musketeers. It was probably those two films that resuscitated her, and then she turned to Roman Polanski and the brilliant Chinatown.

by Anonymousreply 365September 5, 2016 11:49 PM

Dunaway, has been trying to convince people that she is Liam's biological mother since his birth.

At least her ex-husband is trying finally to set the record straight. Liam is obviously the long-rumored love child of Rupert Everett and Clive Owen.

by Anonymousreply 366September 6, 2016 12:30 AM

[quote]She next starred in The Thomas Crowne Affair for Norman Jewison, an unsuccessful movie.

Uh, THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR was a big hit. It was the 19th highest-grossing film of 1968, grossing $14 million on a $4.3 million budget.

by Anonymousreply 367September 6, 2016 12:49 AM

Faye is a legend, Joan was a legend, Mommie Dearest is a legendary movie. Everybody wins.

by Anonymousreply 368September 6, 2016 12:58 AM

Legendarily bad movie, yes

by Anonymousreply 369September 6, 2016 1:00 AM

It could have been legendarily great. If. Only. She'd. Had. A. Strong. Director.

by Anonymousreply 370September 6, 2016 1:18 AM

If only she had had a strong director to rein her in.

by Anonymousreply 371September 6, 2016 1:58 AM

Wishing her all the best. Love Faye...

by Anonymousreply 372September 6, 2016 6:35 PM

r365.

"Thomas Crown Affair" was a big hit.

Frank Perry was an Oscar-nominated director and screenwriter for 1963's "David and Lisa" and had directed Carrie Snodgress in her Oscar-nominated role in "Diary of a Mad Housewife" the year before "Doc.".

"Puzzle of a Downfall Child" is considered a great fillm, and was restored and screened at Cannes a couple of years ago. Jerry Schatzberg was at the time a highly-celebrated fashion photographer and also Fay's boyfriend. She's amazing i the film, btw.

And she won the Oscar for "Network" which you don't even bother mentioning,

by Anonymousreply 373September 6, 2016 6:58 PM

R328 It sounded as if Jane Fonda wasn't joking when she called Faye a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 374September 6, 2016 7:10 PM

No she wasn't joking...

"Back in 1974, actress Faye Dunaway and director Roman Polanski allegedly fought constantly during the filming of Chinatown. It culminated with Dunaway reportedly throwing a cup of her urine in Polanski’s face after he had refused to let her use the bathroom during that day’s filming. As the story goes, the feud first started when Polanski yanked an out-of-place hair from Faye’s head. She was not happy. Later in the day, Dunaway asked Polanski what her character’s motivation was for a scene; Polanski supposedly shot back, “Just say the f–king words. Your salary is your motivation.”"

Love it!

by Anonymousreply 375September 8, 2016 4:42 PM

R375 what does that have to do with Faye and Jane?

by Anonymousreply 376September 8, 2016 4:45 PM

Faye just announced for a new film. Glad she's working again. I love Faye, I love Jane, l love Meryl, and I love Glenn.

Why? Because I love talent. We gays can love more than one acting diva. Okuuuurrrlll!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377September 9, 2016 6:29 AM

[quote]But Jane Fonda never did drugs. She always had her wits about her and even though she was true Hollywood royalty, never acted grander than she was. Her thing was to subjugate herself to the men in her life. Fonda's perseverance allowed her to hold on to her reputation as one of the world's greatest actresses who doesn't cause trouble on sets.

Jane must have been addicted to exercise. All that workout stuff in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 378September 9, 2016 7:26 AM

I really want Jane and Faye to work together again before it's all said and done. Hurry Sundown is very entertaining (I'd watch it before Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?), a southern gothic potboiler, and both of our young divas are beautiful and effective in their roles, but they only appear together for a split second and have no interaction.

I really enjoy Grace & Frankie (season 2 was better than 1) and think it would be great to bring Faye on for an episode. She could play an old rival of Jane's that somehow through comic circumstances gets close with Lily or vice versa.

THAT WOULD BE GAY HEAVEN........let us pray...

by Anonymousreply 379September 9, 2016 9:34 AM

do Jane and Faye get along? did Jane say something nasty about her on WWHL a while ago?

by Anonymousreply 380September 9, 2016 9:49 AM

Faye's performance in MD is so bizarre because it does and should work and yet it doesn't. As an actor, when looking at the choices that she made throughout the film in portraying to a fading movie queen, whose entire world is steeped in artifice and rage, they do seem spot on and yet it comes across as ludicrous and cartoonish for the most part.

I would argue the same with regards to Scarwid's performance (aside from the Southern drawl), I used to question her decision to underplay Christina, but it actually makes sense from a character perspective. Her decision to portray Christina as a hyper-controlled young woman who refuses to allow herself to indulge in emotional excess and who even at the height of her fury still will not allow herself anything more than to spit out 'Because I am not one of your fans!' seems to be a very authentic study of a victim of physical abuse, and yet it also comes across as ridiculous.

I think Dunaway's over-playing and Scarwid's underplaying are what throw the film off, making Dunaway look that much more over-the-top and Scarwid wooden. Both portrayals individually work, but put together undermine the other.

by Anonymousreply 381September 9, 2016 10:03 AM

Very on-point, r381. I'm thankful for both of those performances because Monmie Dearest is a treasure.

by Anonymousreply 382September 9, 2016 11:08 AM

[quote]'Playing Joan Crawford ruined my career'

Then why do you keep playing her?

by Anonymousreply 383September 9, 2016 1:30 PM

"Faye's performance in MD is so bizarre because it does and should work and yet it doesn't."

That makes a whole world of sense.

by Anonymousreply 384September 9, 2016 1:46 PM

She gave up on Master Class and yes she's had money problems. I remember one of the tabloids saw her putting up a sign to lease out the other side of the duplex she was living in. I think the biggest source of income she has had in the last 25 years was the settlement she got from Andrew Lloyd Webber after she was fired from Sunset Boulevard.

by Anonymousreply 385September 9, 2016 5:09 PM

I remember reading somewhere, sometime in the 90s, that Warren Beatty was flying first class to NYC, when a flight attendant told him his former co-star Faye Dunaway was on the same flight, but in economy class. He got up, went over to economy class and chatted up Faye for quite some time before returning to his seat. I thought, how sad--once upon a time, Faye was at the head of the class and now she's flying coach!

by Anonymousreply 386September 9, 2016 5:30 PM

R386 "You call this HOT?" [Splash]

by Anonymousreply 387September 9, 2016 6:03 PM

[quote]Ultimately it's Crawford's career longevity that wins the day: watch her in Rain--and then Mildred, for example, to take in the full breadth of her staying power

You could actually go back further to at least The Unknown, if not The Boob (hey, it was 1926, slang was weird back then). She gives really good performances in both films, which were during the heyday of the silent era. She sails through pre-codes and into Hollywood's Golden Age, does well in post-WWII films, then lands in the 1950s with a solid performance in Johnny Guitar, a feminist alt-Western. Over a decade later she's still giving good (if campy) turns in now-classic B movies. There is no one with a comparable career -- even Bette didn't do silents.

I always got the impression that Dunaway just didn't get Crawford. She logically knew that this was an abused girl who had posed nude and probably had been a whore, who slept her way into studio offices and photo shoots, who turned herself into a major actress with some really amazing credits. Emotionally, though, Dunaway didn't get it. She approached it the way her character in Network approached the "badass nigger Commie" activist: professionally, but without even the slightest bit of concern over the actual person she was dealing with.

by Anonymousreply 388September 9, 2016 6:24 PM

[quote] There is no one with a comparable career -- even Bette didn't do silents.

That's because I was still in knickers rolling a hoop when that CUNT was fucking her way to the top!

by Anonymousreply 389September 9, 2016 7:04 PM

[quote]take in the full breadth of her staying power

But most Millennials have no idea who she is.

Very few people in the past are remembered.

by Anonymousreply 390September 9, 2016 7:11 PM

It's anecdotal evidence but I see lots of young people commenting on Joan's videos on Youtube, R390. At 30 I suppose I am one of the dreaded millenials as well.

by Anonymousreply 391September 9, 2016 9:44 PM

[R390] and you just also explained Dunaway's career problems.

by Anonymousreply 392September 9, 2016 11:43 PM

I think Jack Nicholson hated Faye after working with her on Chinatown. I seem to recall that he called her "certifiable", as in, she's certifiably crazy and should be checked into a mental ward.

Interestingly, at the 1976 Oscars, by tradition, he should have presented the Best Actress award to her for Network as he had won the year before for Cuckoo's Nest. Instead, he presented Best Picture and Louise Fletcher presented Best Actress.

It's was obvious that Jack didn't want anything to do with her.

by Anonymousreply 393September 10, 2016 2:37 AM

Jack was friends with Roman Polanski. Naturally, Jack sided with Roman than with Faye during their on-set altercations.

by Anonymousreply 394September 10, 2016 3:22 AM

Faye had a lot of chutzpah for clashing with director Otto Preminger on her very first film, "Hurry Sundown." His dictatorial manner rubbed her the wrong way, so she shut down and refused to listen to him, claiming he had no idea how the acting processs worked. The man who directed such classics as LAURA, CARMEN JONES, ANATOMY OF A MURDER, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM, etc., had been challenged by a young ingenue who thought she knew best.

by Anonymousreply 395September 10, 2016 3:35 AM

Jack Nicholson did not call her certifiable, that was Polanski, and Jack gave her a standing ovation when she walked out to give A Few Good Men it's People Choice Award.

And in the 90's, Faye was interviewed in Premiere magazine the day after she had been at a small party with Jack and other friends at his house.

I don't think there's any bad blood there.

by Anonymousreply 396September 10, 2016 3:45 AM

they don't always follow that rule of having the Best Actor present Best Actress and vice versa. They do it nowadays but back in the 70s and 80s I've noticed lots of times the presenters are not the previous year's winner.

by Anonymousreply 397September 10, 2016 3:48 AM

And any bad blood between Polanski and Dunaway must have abated somewhat because just a few years ago Polanski was interviewed where he said he bumped into her at Cannes and they chatted and in the interview he said she was worth any difficulty when making Chinatown. They also met in Poland when Faye was there making The Bait and attended a statue dedication (or something) honoring Polanski.

by Anonymousreply 398September 10, 2016 3:56 AM

:::I seem to recall that he called her "certifiable", as in, she's certifiably crazy and should be checked into a mental ward.:::

Thanks for that explanation of the obscure term, meaning the word "certifiable".

by Anonymousreply 399September 10, 2016 4:30 AM

R399, please learn how to quote.

by Anonymousreply 400September 10, 2016 5:55 AM

[quote]There is no one with a comparable career -- even Bette didn't do silents.

Bette always held that against Joan. She was the same with Lillian Gish when they worked together on THE WHALES OF AUGUST. Why was Bette such a snob about silent films? Did she think them inferior, low-brow?

by Anonymousreply 401September 10, 2016 3:49 PM

R386 why didn't he invite her to first class?

by Anonymousreply 402September 10, 2016 3:50 PM

r400, how do you quote on here?

by Anonymousreply 403September 10, 2016 3:55 PM

R402, perhaps because she didn't pay for first class service.

by Anonymousreply 404September 10, 2016 4:02 PM

[quote]:::I seem to recall that he called her "certifiable", as in, she's certifiably crazy and should be checked into a mental ward.:::

I'm actually laughing at this quoting attempt. What the fuck?! Three colons before and after the sentence??? Did you just make that up?

by Anonymousreply 405September 10, 2016 4:17 PM

R403 just type [ quote ] before the actual quote. No spaces though.

by Anonymousreply 406September 10, 2016 4:44 PM

:::Yeah. Conform.:::

As in do what everybody else tells you to do.

:::LOL:::

by Anonymousreply 407September 10, 2016 5:21 PM

::: What is the fish of the day? :::

by Anonymousreply 408September 11, 2016 4:13 PM

[quote]::::::

::::::

by Anonymousreply 409September 11, 2016 5:11 PM

At one point, Warren Beatty (who produced BONNIE AND CLYDE) considered his sister Shirley MacLaine for the part of Bonnie, but then obviously had to take her out of the running when he cast himself as Clyde.

Incidentally, are the siblings even close?

by Anonymousreply 410September 11, 2016 9:31 PM

Great interview with Faye in 1981 where she ONLY talks about Mommie Dearest with Gene Shalit. She comes off as very smart and articulate. The clip has been deleted by youtube before so I am glad it's back up - definitely worth watching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411September 11, 2016 9:46 PM

Dunaway's teeth ruined her acting career

by Anonymousreply 412September 12, 2016 4:34 PM

I felt so sorry for Christina Crawford when she was on the CNN show and Larry King asked her if she thought Joan had molested Christoper.

by Anonymousreply 413September 12, 2016 4:44 PM

Interesting in R411's clip that Faye says she doesn't believe Christina's book.

by Anonymousreply 414September 12, 2016 5:43 PM

I found some of Christina's complaints of "abuse" to be absurd. She bitched and bitched that Joan made her write thank-you cards for Christmas and birthday presents and clean the floors of their house. I mean really, that's ridiculous to call those things abusive.

by Anonymousreply 415September 12, 2016 5:47 PM

Ahhhh, but life wasn't meant to be fair, Tina. I'm bigger, I'm faster!

by Anonymousreply 416September 12, 2016 6:10 PM

R409. Helen Keller signs in from The Beyond.

by Anonymousreply 417September 14, 2016 1:59 AM

According to Truman Capote, Christina was a little bitch. He was invited to JC's house in 1948. "I've been asked to entertain you until mother arrives," little Christina said. "Would you like to see some of mother's things?" "I'd love to," says Capote.

"This vase came from Gumps in San Francisco," Christina said, starting the tour. ". . . and it cost $3,000."

"And these gold cups, well, I can't remember exactly, but they were VERY expensive."

Capote hated Christina, whom he said had her blonde hair tied in pig tails with bright pink bows.

I wonder how BD Hymen and Christina Crawford are doing these days. Broke, probably.

by Anonymousreply 418September 28, 2016 9:17 PM

BD Hyman has a bunch of Youtube videos. The ungrateful bitch is still complaining about her mother. The same mother who generously supported her lazy ass well into adulthood.

by Anonymousreply 419September 28, 2016 9:19 PM

Is there a copy of The Joan Crawford Show out there? She only filmed the pilot, right?

by Anonymousreply 420September 28, 2016 9:20 PM

Christina had lived in Idaho for many years and is very well off financially.

by Anonymousreply 421September 28, 2016 9:43 PM

Joan Crawford never filmed a pilot for a series.

by Anonymousreply 422September 28, 2016 9:44 PM

Highly doubtful R410. Bonnie and Clyde was a showpiece for Beatty and he was always going to be Clyde. He initially wanted Natalie Wood, but she wouldn't do it because it was going to be shot in Texas and Wood did not to be away from her therapist, she had attempted suicide a short time before.

by Anonymousreply 423September 28, 2016 9:52 PM

[quote]Bonnie and Clyde was a showpiece for Beatty and he was always going to be Clyde.

That's not true. He originally wanted just to produce. He initially wanted Bob Dylan because he bore a passing resemblance to the real Clyde Barrow. But in the end, he decided to cast himself. You would watch the "Making of..." documentary that was featured in the Ultimate Collector's Edition, released in 2008. It's all in there. They interview everyone (Penn, Beatty, Dunaway, Hackman, Parsons, Pollard, etc.) and they discuss the making of the film. Beatty mentions originally wanting to cast Dylan and his sister, though not together.

by Anonymousreply 424September 28, 2016 10:05 PM

R422, in 1959 she filmed the pilot for The Joan Crawford Show. But it was never picked up due to lack of interest.

by Anonymousreply 425September 28, 2016 10:05 PM

R425 was it going to be a talk show format like Gypsy Rose Lee's or a self-titled sitcom?

by Anonymousreply 426September 28, 2016 10:16 PM

[quote]To make things better, he lives in the Dakota and completely hated Lauren Bacall.

Anyone know the story there ?

by Anonymousreply 427September 30, 2016 5:04 AM

BACALL became more manly in appearance as she aged. Pity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428September 30, 2016 5:06 AM

[quote] I found some of Christina's complaints of "abuse" to be absurd. She bitched and bitched that Joan made her write thank-you cards for Christmas and birthday presents and clean the floors of their house. I mean really, that's ridiculous to call those things abusive.

I couldn't even finish the book and I've seen the movie more than once. The sound is so poorly mixed that it's almost impossible to hear the parts that aren't screamed. But the book's biggest problems are that Christina doesn't recognize her own narcissism or bratty behavior as a child, that her Yul Brynner anecdotes just don't make sense based on the time period she describes, and her prose is just plain lousy.

by Anonymousreply 429September 30, 2016 5:11 AM

R428. Is Rex wearing mascara?

by Anonymousreply 430October 19, 2016 7:17 AM

I just love Faye! So much star quality!!

by Anonymousreply 431October 31, 2016 9:50 AM

A great interview on Charlie Rose. Faye comes across very articulate and smart as a whip. She looks gorgeous, as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432November 21, 2016 7:17 PM

It got even harder to take Christina seriously after she started bringing Lypsinka with her on her tours.

by Anonymousreply 433November 21, 2016 7:42 PM

I wish Faye would own her performance.

by Anonymousreply 434April 25, 2020 1:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!