Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anthony Weiner and the rise of dick pics, explained

August 30, 2016

When former Congress member Anthony Weiner was born in Brooklyn in 1964, scientists and engineers hadn’t yet figured out to harness the (then nonexistent) internet to send text messages, let alone use that mind-blowing power to send pictures of one’s own genitalia to others in an attempt to flatter them. Despite predating the term "sext" by 40 years, Weiner, as if it were the destiny of his surname, has become infamous for his sexting scandals, the first of which cost him his job as a US representative for New York.

A new scandal was revealed on Sunday.

"Someone just climbed into my bed," Weiner wrote in a sext to a woman, which was then relayed to the New York Post. "Ooooooh . . . I was scared. For half a second I thought I posted something. Stop looking at my crotch."

The "someone" Weiner was referring to was his 4-year-old child, Jordan Zain. Weiner and his wife, Huma Abedin, have probably taken countless photos of Jordan — during parties, birthdays, Halloween, grandparent visits. But this one, with Jordan’s cherubic face within breathing distance of Anthony’s semi-engorged member (which is barely concealed by a pair of white briefs), and one that Weiner apparently thought he tweeted to the world, will haunt Weiner and his family forever.

Weiner isn’t the only person who has sent out a sext, nor is he the only man to send someone a photo of his junk. Thanks to technology and the human desire to use and interact with that technology, dick pics have become common. It seems like it's impossible to go very long without a celebrity, not just Weiner, accidentally exposing themselves on the grand stage of the internet. But what makes this latest Weiner scandal newsworthy is that it goes beyond the scandalous dick pic he’s sending.

Weiner is like the Icarus of dick pictures and sexts, if Icarus were given three sets of wings and multiple chances not to burn and drown in the sea.

What is a dick? And what is a dick pic?

A dick is a nickname frequently applied to male genitalia. Dicks, on their own, are neutral. They vary in size, shape, and appearance. People often project subjective traits onto dicks, like saying a dick is good when it’s aesthetically pleasing and of satisfactory size and girth.

And a dick pic is a picture of a dick.

The term "dick" can also refer to a person — usually in a negative sense, to refer to someone who is selfish, irritating, or stubborn. There is an entire world of slurs based on male and female genitalia, which seems a bit unfair to genitalia since genitalia on its own never really harmed or slighted anyone.

And a dick pic, while often a flirty exchange between consenting adults, can also be seen as a form of harassment, a crude byproduct of the way our lives revolve around technology, or a symbol of bad judgment, among other things.

Anthony Weiner is considered a dick for his slew of scandals and incorrigible behavior. In this he follows the political path blazed by former President Nixon, whose first name inspired the political catchphrase "Dick Nixon before he dicks you."

On Sunday, it was revealed that Weiner had sexted a picture to a woman that featured him in his underwear and his child’s face. It kicked off his third sexting scandal in five years — the first resulted in Weiner resigning from Congress in 2011, while the second sank his run to become Mayor of New York City.

This third scandal is a publicly embarrassing ordeal for Weiner, his wife, and his family, and it comes with personal loss, too. Abedin announced on Monday that she is divorcing him, saying she needs to leave him for the best interests of their son. She said in a statement:

After long and painful consideration and work on my marriage, I have made the decision to separate from my husband. Anthony and I remain devoted to doing what is best for our son, who is the light of our life. During this difficult time, I ask for respect for our privacy.

[Full article at link]:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2020 1:40 AM

Carlos should not use the interweb.

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2016 5:44 AM

It wants to be an interesting think piece.

by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2016 5:46 AM

A person who keeps making the exact same mistakes and expecting a different outcome with each instance is mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2016 6:03 AM

That kid is going to be sooo fucked up when he is old enough to understand he was in the room while his dad was snapping dick pics.

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2020 1:29 AM

But it's the family jewels.

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2020 1:32 AM

I wonder what clicked in his brain that started the compulsion to show his admittedly nice dick to this extent ? Hes going to be one of those 70 year olds flashing dick in a park. he cant seem to stop. is anyone actually taking him up on the offers ?

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2020 1:37 AM

It's a good question, R6. The documentary movie Weiner was soooo fascinating. I saw it at IFC in Manhattan when it came out and it was riveting.

But you never really understand what could have possibly been going on in his head, or how he thought he would get away with this not just once, but multiple times.

Shame, because he really did have a promising future in NY politics.

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2020 1:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!