Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Belgium: what's it really like?

All I know about it is the prevailing impression that it isn't a proper country -- just a grudging assemblage of cold rain-soaked grey provinces with depressed molesters, immigrant terrorists, and creepy nativity scenes outside churches at Christmas. A nation whose only claim to fame is pulling off a genocide and not getting slapped for it. The only Belgians I've met have been smug, moody, and physically unattractive. When shelter magazine feature Belgium interiors they're either light grey, or dark grey. What is it with them? Have you been there? Have you met any of The Gays?

by Anonymousreply 127January 12, 2018 10:23 PM

DELICIOUS food, very bad climate

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2016 4:13 AM

Physically unattractive? Fuck off!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2016 4:15 AM

Uhhh, you're not exactly shoring up your case there, R2.

by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2016 4:21 AM

Who's worse : Belgians or Austrians?

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2016 4:21 AM

Except for the Muslim immigrants and a few Belgian born Jews, it's a totally uncut country.

The majority speak Dutch (Flemish), French is spoken by fewer, although many have some bilingual abilities, and German is the third official language, but most of the time people speak Dutch and French. English is also spoken larger cities.

The Dutch speakers tend to hate everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 5August 31, 2016 4:22 AM

[quote] Who's worse : Belgians or Austrians?

Austrians, by far.

by Anonymousreply 6August 31, 2016 4:23 AM

What's your reasoning behind that, R6 ? (note, I'm certainly not disagreeing with you)

by Anonymousreply 7August 31, 2016 4:24 AM

[quote]DELICIOUS food

Really? What are the good dishes?

by Anonymousreply 8August 31, 2016 4:27 AM

The one gay Belgian I met was an awful person. Supposedly, keeping up with Joneses is a national past time, but this guy had it on steroids.

That having been said, I liked it there and would be willing to see more of the French part.

by Anonymousreply 9August 31, 2016 4:37 AM

The Walloons speak French, and regional dialects/languages like Walloon, Picard, and Lorrain. The Flemish speak Brabantian Dutch, East Flemish, West Flemish, or Limburgish.

by Anonymousreply 10August 31, 2016 7:26 AM

The Flemish hold the political power in the country and are better organized and better funded. Public health services and many other general services in Wallonia tend to be underfunded. The Flemish, when not speaking some indecipherable dialect, are admired by the Dutch for being well-spoken (they are more formal and polite and many believe they use the language more gracefully.) Lots of Flemish people watch Dutch TV, more so than the other way around, but they often won't admit to it as they dislike the Dutch. On the whole, the country is less regulated and regimented than the Netherlands.

by Anonymousreply 11August 31, 2016 9:59 AM

Uncut men with B.O.

by Anonymousreply 12August 31, 2016 4:17 PM

I am in Belgium now, on a job interview. i have never been more miserable. They are rude, nasty. I am not kidding: all week long I have been trying to get a martini. They do not know what a martini is or what vermouth is.

The Flemish are not the problem. It is the appalling French. Unutterably condescnding and smug.

and it does rain all the time, their seweers back up and it stinks.

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2017 10:02 PM

A friend of mine did a long trip in Europe and said Brussels was the most boring city he'd ever been to, and the people very unfriendly.

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2017 10:19 PM

The old cities are nice. The beer is very good, the french fries excellent and don't forget the waffles...It's a country for food lovers. TS sounds miserable.

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2017 10:24 PM

Victor Horta museum in Brussels is divine.

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2017 10:24 PM

Lol lol lol lol rofl pimp

U r 2 funny OP

Lol lol lol

by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2017 10:24 PM

It's never been the same since most of the First World War was fought there.

by Anonymousreply 18May 3, 2017 10:29 PM

I can see why Brussels is seen as boring because it hosts the Europarlement and for that reason attracts politicians, lobbyists and diplomats -not the most exciting people. It lacks a subculture, but I like it and I always discover new things in Brussels :)

by Anonymousreply 19May 3, 2017 10:29 PM

The only reason it exists is to keep France and Holland from smashing into each other.

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2017 10:31 PM

I adore Brussels and Bruges is the best preserved example of a medieval city in Europe, imo.

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2017 10:33 PM

It's SO small. Lol. I know that's a stupid thing to say as many countries are geographically small, but coming from a huge country, it just struck me how the regional differences that many have talked about here are spread out over such a limited area.

by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2017 10:44 PM

It is the size of Maryland, and you've got three languages and God knows how many dialects going on there, with TV, newspapers, magazines, and websites for each.

by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2017 11:08 PM

Blue eyed beautiful uncut men with sizemeat.

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2017 11:18 PM

The only reason I realized I must have been in Belgium is because it was a Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2017 11:23 PM

Guihome, a 25 year old Belgian comedian

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2017 11:25 PM

B.O.

But the chocolate is exquisite.

Ugly history in the Congo. Millions of Congolese maimed and murdered in the name of rubber. The Royal Family is putrid in their avarice and lack of morals. King Philippe allegedly planned to transition before being forced to marry his horse faced wife and produce heirs.

by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2017 11:27 PM

Brussels is boring? Then leave and go to Bruges, Ghent, or seaside Knokke!

Main square of Bruges:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2017 11:34 PM

Perhaps Carcassonne, France, r21?

by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2017 11:36 PM

Meant to add photo of Carcassonne:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2017 11:37 PM

The man at R26's post= if Matt Keeslar and Jo from Facts of Life had a kid.

by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2017 11:41 PM

Carcasonne was heavily restored in mock-medieval style in the 19th century. It's not as authentic as it looks.

My guess is that Venice has the largest preserved medieval old town in Europe, with gothic architecture (and not just religious, but also plenty of houses) in abundance.

by Anonymousreply 32May 3, 2017 11:43 PM

I have heard rumors that King Philippe was allegedly gay and his marriage to that countess was an arrangement, but I never heard he almost a tranny. His father and mother allegedly had no morals, constantly cheating on each other, and his brother is said to be an unstable nutcase. I think the only normal one is Princess Astrid. They come from bad blood, Belgian royal history is like a sleazy soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 33May 3, 2017 11:44 PM

King Baudouin was hot (and very hipster-ish looking). He was very religious (apparently he resigned as a king just for one day, when an abortion law was being passed) but apparently a great human being.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 3, 2017 11:47 PM

The Belgians took care of my grandfather and his crew, after their plane was shot down by the Germans over the countryside and hid them for months. Without them I wouldn't be here.

by Anonymousreply 35May 3, 2017 11:51 PM

Pious as he was, King Baudouin is said to have had an unhealthy relationship with his stepmother Princess Lilian, bordering on sexual obsession. I guess he got over it though, as his marriage to Queen Fabiola was supposed to be very happy even though she couldn't carry any babies to term.

by Anonymousreply 36May 3, 2017 11:58 PM

I love Bruge but it felt like a medieval theme park at times. I liked Ghent the best. Antwerp is ok.

by Anonymousreply 37May 4, 2017 2:12 AM

I lived in southern Holland, about an hour from Brussels. I thought Brussels was a dirty busy city. Bruges was amazing and the countryside to get there was beautiful. The people are okay. The Dutch people are the best. Incredibly fun and friendly. Skip Brussels and head an hour east to Maastricht in Holland.

by Anonymousreply 38May 4, 2017 2:19 AM

Fun little country. Just don't get to talking about political strife. Spend a couple of days, eat chocolate, drink the local beers and food, and then move on to the next country.

by Anonymousreply 39May 4, 2017 2:36 AM

I gotta ask: do they serve Brussels sprouts in Brussels, or anywhere in Belgium for that matter?

by Anonymousreply 40May 4, 2017 2:39 AM

Are the Belgians bitter that the whole world thinks "French" fries came from France?

by Anonymousreply 41May 4, 2017 2:53 AM

I love Brussels, La Grand Place, Bruge, the amazing collection of so many different types of restaurants and the handsome and perfectly intact men.

by Anonymousreply 42May 4, 2017 3:04 AM

R41 French fries aren't called that everywhere, most countries call them fried potatoes or a variant of it

by Anonymousreply 43May 4, 2017 3:06 AM

During middle school (in 1938-39), my mom was pen-pals with a Belgian girl named Magda, who lived just outside of Brussels. Her family was fairly well-to-do. Christian, owned a printing a company, strongly opposed Hitler/fascism. Her two older brothers were "resistance fighters."

Mom received several letters after Nazi occupation (1940) -- with swastikas printed on envelope -- but they became fewer & further between, eventually stopped. She wondered what became of Magda & her family, for many years, and had assumed the worst.

In the late '70s, Mom met a guy from the Belgian consulate at a cocktail party, and told him this little story. He was intrigued & asked, "Would you like to find her?" Turned out to be pretty easy! Her family's printing company was still in business (in Brussels), run by her husband & one of her brothers.

It was incredibly emotional when Mom & Magda met face-to-face, for the first time, in their early 50s. Sounds cliche, but they really were like old girl-friends who hadn't missed a beat.

The most interesting afternoon of my life was spent zipping around the Bastogne countryside, with Magda's brother, who fought in the Belgian resistance. He showed us a bridge that he helped blow-up, so that German troops couldn't cross it....but that they rebuilt within 36 hours, so that Allied forces could. It was the greatest "living" history lesson ever. I was 14. I wish I'd been older.

So, yeah....I love the Belgians!

by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2017 3:41 AM

What a great story, r44! Thank you for that.

by Anonymousreply 45May 4, 2017 4:03 AM

Gillian: Brussels, bloody Brussels, so boring, why couldn't it have been Paris or Amsterdam?

Shirley: Yeah, all them sprouts.

A gold star for anyone who can name that movie.

by Anonymousreply 46May 4, 2017 4:21 AM

The only Belgian I've ever met was the sweetest, most beautiful boy ever. Gorgeous little babyface with gray blue eyes, ash blond hair and perfect ruby red lips.

Despite the description, he was not twink-y at all and also had a perfect li'l uncut sausage that I blew and which tasted like heaven. Too bad he didn't want to go beyond that on that one night in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 47May 4, 2017 4:37 AM

Physically unattractive R2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 4, 2017 4:50 AM

More Belgian ewwwww

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 4, 2017 4:51 AM

A third speak French and two-thirds speak sort of Dutch. A very small minority speak both languages. The men are all uncut except for the Muzzies who are overwhelming the country.

by Anonymousreply 50May 4, 2017 4:54 AM

I don't believe that DLers are really concerned about men being uncut, even though some note it constantly.

by Anonymousreply 51May 4, 2017 5:05 AM

R44 great story. I like Brussels, great food chocolate and beer. Very old city. One of the most sophisticated cities in all of Europe. I am very proud that they are seat of the EU. I try to imagine it is a city full of spies, probably is.

If the French are as stupid as Americans and ..... I cant even type those words Brussels will step up as will the Netherlands. The lowlands have mostly stayed united throughout modern history - remaining a united front will not be hard for them.

by Anonymousreply 52May 4, 2017 5:11 AM

No, pomme frittes as they are known in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 53May 4, 2017 6:03 AM

They all say they were in the "resistance". How do we really know?

by Anonymousreply 54May 4, 2017 6:07 AM

The guys aren't so bad looking considering they're from Belgium. Belgium also has great beers and in my opinion the best chocolate makers in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 4, 2017 6:16 AM

Indeed, R54.....I just suppose you have to KNOW some of them. Fuck off, twat.

by Anonymousreply 56May 4, 2017 6:37 AM

Europe has taken a turn to the right. Belgium is no different I'm afraid.

Like most Euros, they don't mind smelling bad. I stayed at a pension in Brussels and the day I checked out, the clerk had just woken up and didn't even bother to brush his teeth or wash his face. I noticed that a lot in Belgium, Germany and France too.

by Anonymousreply 57May 5, 2017 8:47 PM

It is truly amazing how great the food is in Belgium but their neighbor Holland has the WORST food. Belgium has great seafood, chocolate, beer etc. Holland has the pancake thing with whipped cream, stroopwaffel cookie and pea soup.

by Anonymousreply 58May 5, 2017 10:38 PM

R58 speaks truth. The Netherlands have it together in all ways over the Belgians except food.

by Anonymousreply 59May 5, 2017 10:59 PM

I had a Belgian fuckbuddy for a while. Beautiful guy, even more beautiful dick. And yes, uncut. The golden fuzz on his legs was the hottest.

by Anonymousreply 60May 6, 2017 4:00 AM

My coworker, Albet comes from there and he insists on everyone calling him Wee Albet. That pretty much is Belgium in a nutshell.

by Anonymousreply 61May 6, 2017 6:57 AM

Yeah, yeah. We get it. Chocolate and beer. Can we move on?

by Anonymousreply 62May 6, 2017 11:24 AM

That's from 'Shirley Valentine,' so give me my gold star, R46

"Gillian...you know the type. If you have a headache, she has a brain tumour".

"It's like going to the supermarket...you know, sex. Lots of pushing and shoving and you still come out with very little in the end."

Possibly one of the best films ever for one-liners - genius Willy Russell. :)

by Anonymousreply 63May 6, 2017 1:24 PM

Belgium has its drawbacks, no doubt, but the gushing in this thread for the Netherlands is fucking hilarious!

The Dutch are the most fucking duplicitous, two-faced people in Europe...all smiles and soothing tones, but they will quickly stab you in the back. NEVER trust a Dutchman in business. I know so many people who have been fucked over by Dutch employers, managers or business partners. And, yes, the cliche is true - the Dutch are the most miserly fucks you'll ever come across.

And as for their food...fuck, only Germany comes close in awfulness. And, yes, a good cuisine does make up for a lot in a country.

Give me the Belgians and Brussels any day of the week over their sententious, false neighbours to their north.

by Anonymousreply 64May 6, 2017 1:29 PM

Lifestyle blogger Matthias Geerts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 6, 2017 5:33 PM

Gold star for R63. Glad someone else saw the movie. I was starting to worry about DL.

Shirley Valentine is one of the movies I like to pop in on a lazy day. I'd love to do what she does and just up and leave to start a new life in an exotic place.

"I promise, I no make fuck with you. Fuck is fuck, boat is boat."

by Anonymousreply 66May 6, 2017 5:40 PM

Wonderful beer and food

by Anonymousreply 67January 10, 2018 2:52 AM

[quote]I don't believe that DLers are really concerned about men being uncut, even though some note it constantly.

I have only seen this bizarre cut vs. uncut obsession on DL. I've never known a gay man in real life who gave a shit about it.

by Anonymousreply 68January 10, 2018 3:13 AM

I was from there!

Dominique nique nique...

by Anonymousreply 69January 10, 2018 3:40 AM

Smurfs!

by Anonymousreply 70January 10, 2018 3:42 AM

Do they call "Belgium waffles" something else there?

by Anonymousreply 71January 10, 2018 3:51 AM

I love Brussels. Best restaurants in Europe. The Grand Place is fascinating. Bruge is a delightful getaway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 10, 2018 4:08 AM

Liege waffles, R71 (Luikse wafels/gaufres liégeoises)

by Anonymousreply 73January 10, 2018 4:14 AM

Ti vå bin on relouka, on stron en vau bin deux.

by Anonymousreply 74January 10, 2018 4:30 AM

Many years ago I was in Brussels and l liked the grey weather and architecture. There's a beautiful tram ride (route 44?) out to the park at Tervuren, where there's a Museum of African Art. Now that I know more about the history, I probably wouldn't enjoy that so much as I did.

by Anonymousreply 75January 10, 2018 4:47 AM

I met a handsome guy who had been kept by “the second richest man in Belgium”. No, I don’t know who that was. But I suspect he’d been dumped. Sweet, but incredibly focused on landing another placement. Although he’d only been in my city a few weeks, he’d already penetrated all the A-Gay circles, and knew people even the A-Gays didn’t. Extraordinary commitment to the task.

by Anonymousreply 76January 10, 2018 4:47 AM

Have not been since late 80's, but loved Brussels and Brugges. Found most peopke friendly, and the food was amazing. Had a unique dish I still remember to this day, and I'm not usually a fan of seafood with tomato sauce... Round metal plate with round divets around the edge, like a 50's devilled egg plate, Mussels and Oysters dotted with cheese, olive oil and a bit of the tomato sauce in the divets, pasta in the middle dressed with same sauce....remember carrots, garlic, and shallot in the sauce. This was not an Italian restaurant, despite the similarity. Great fried fish, pomme frittes w/homemade mayo or aoli.... Beef was excellent too.

by Anonymousreply 77January 10, 2018 4:51 AM

In the centre of Brussels there’s a gilded statue of Leopold II cradling an African child. I shit you not. It’s the equivalent of a statue in Berlin of Adolf cradling a jewish kid. Given the amount of Africans pouring into the country I can’t imagine it staying up for many more years, but it will be sad when it comes down: it’s a glorious piece of kitsch that serves to remind of the falsehood.

by Anonymousreply 78January 10, 2018 4:52 AM

I remember photographing that statue R78...R77 here.... Also remember visiting a futuristic looking tinker-toy or Jack looking building that was really cool... Think that was in a different city... Still have a photo, but if someone knows what it is, do share!

by Anonymousreply 79January 10, 2018 4:56 AM

[quote]I have only seen this bizarre cut vs. uncut obsession on DL. It’s perpetrated by about two eldergay trolls. The reality is cut Americans are creepily obsessed with uncut cock — as my Italian friend found out when he made the mistake of sunbaking naked. Had to practically fight them off with a stick.

by Anonymousreply 80January 10, 2018 4:57 AM

Any Belgians here?

by Anonymousreply 81January 10, 2018 4:57 AM

R8, Frites! Moules! Chocolat! Biere!

Brussels' Grand Place, Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp, Knokke!

Belgium is wonderful!

by Anonymousreply 82January 10, 2018 5:17 AM

Beef Daube... W/wine AND beer

by Anonymousreply 83January 10, 2018 5:41 AM

Rene' Magritte and Paul Delvaux--two wonderfully strange Belgian painters.

The gorgeous opera "Die Tote Stadt" ( The Dead City) is set in Bruges, which has that nickname because it's frozen in time, sort of.

by Anonymousreply 84January 10, 2018 6:14 AM

Enjoy Belgium while you can, because it will be majority Muslim in the not-too-distant future.

by Anonymousreply 85January 10, 2018 6:16 AM

Long thick uncut and stinky with cheese!

by Anonymousreply 86January 10, 2018 6:48 AM

What I don't understand is, how the fuck can a country the approximate size of Maryland have MULTIPLE distinct dialects of two completely different languages? In the US, we're BARELY able to sustain a half-dozen minor English dialects that are so similar we don't even think of them as such & perceive them merely as "accents", and 90% of Americans have either "no" accent (ie, California/midwestern US) or a barely, BARELY discernible southern drawl.

Put another way, how has Flemish NOT already coalesced into "Amsterdam TV Dutch", and the various French-ish dialects not coalesced into something vaguely-indistinguishable from "Parisian (or at least, Strasbourgian) TV French", the same way American accents are all unstoppably drifting towards Cal-Midwestern English?

by Anonymousreply 87January 10, 2018 7:06 AM

Belgium even has a third official language, R87: German. And Austria has an even smaller population than Belgium and an even richer variety of accents and dialects.

by Anonymousreply 88January 10, 2018 7:39 AM

How does it stack up compared to Denmark?

by Anonymousreply 89January 10, 2018 8:09 AM

A Fabulous eldersister sizemologist we knew declared that Denmark has the biggest ones by far.

by Anonymousreply 90January 10, 2018 8:13 AM

"They all say they were in the "resistance". How do we really know?"

If they're younger than 72 years old, they're probably lying. Hard to be in the "resistance "after the war.

by Anonymousreply 91January 10, 2018 8:49 AM

R87, it probably has something to do with the fact that you killed off the original inhabitants and their languages. No matter which state you live in, you'd have found numerous languages and dialects there up until the 1700s, exactly the same as in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 92January 10, 2018 9:24 AM

People from other parts of the world are amazed at how standardized the English language is in the US. For an enormous country, American English sounds the same from one coast to the other, with only slight differences in accents, and even those accents are fading. American accents are nowhere near as diverse as places like Britain, with the Queen's English vs. Cockney etc. It's pretty incredible when you think about it.

by Anonymousreply 93January 10, 2018 12:30 PM

Sorry to go off-topic, but re American accents: a thin-skinned writer for the Minneapolis Star-Tribune complained about Ewan McGregor calling the Minnesota accent he uses in 'Fargo' "bonkers":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94January 10, 2018 12:44 PM

Maryland used to have distinct dialects. You could differentiate between someone from the Eastern Shore, Western Maryland, Baltimore, the rich horsey rural areas, and the DC suburban area. That was before television and radio standardized everything.

by Anonymousreply 95January 10, 2018 12:49 PM

[QUOTE] Although he’d only been in my city a few weeks, he’d already penetrated all the A-Gay circles, and knew people even the A-Gays didn’t.

I know that young gent. Last month there was an incident at the MuHKA where he was basically banned from the Belgium A-Gay scene. Last I heard he had penetrated the Swiss A- Gays, who apparently have easier standards.

by Anonymousreply 96January 10, 2018 12:58 PM

There is lots to see and do in Brussels. How could anyone be bored there?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 10, 2018 1:18 PM

Belgium , particularly Brugge is absolutely spectacular. Austria is amazing as well. If you can't appreciate another country and their culture, may I recommend lovely redneck filled with deplorables Helen, Georgia.Might be more suited to your taste.

by Anonymousreply 98January 10, 2018 1:29 PM

They eat it all

by Anonymousreply 99January 10, 2018 1:53 PM

Belgium has nice waffles though, don't they?

by Anonymousreply 100January 10, 2018 2:12 PM

Grand Platz and Ostende are terrific, Brussels, Liege - all of it. Chocolate, Beer, Seafood, Bakeries, Tapestry...I simply love The country.

by Anonymousreply 101January 10, 2018 2:21 PM

[quote]Do they call "Belgium waffles" something else there?

They don't call them that here either, R71.

by Anonymousreply 102January 10, 2018 3:00 PM

[quote]Also remember visiting a futuristic looking tinker-toy or Jack looking building that was really cool... Think that was in a different city... Still have a photo, but if someone knows what it is, do share!

No, that's Brussels. It's the Atomium. It's a hoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 10, 2018 3:04 PM

Don't they eat horse there?

by Anonymousreply 104January 10, 2018 5:10 PM

They eat horse in lots of places, R104 - sometimes even knowingly. I've also seen it for sale in an ordinary supermarket in Quebec City.

by Anonymousreply 105January 10, 2018 6:47 PM

R105 we do in France, especially in the north of France, apparently we were invited to eat horse meat quit recently, during the 19th century, maybe due to the fact that cars started to replace horses as a way of transport and we needed to get rid of the horses? We had a problem last year when Romania (I think) forbid horses on open road and thousand of horses ended up being sold as beef meatballs in west Europe.

My great grand parents were from Wallonie, we no longer have relative there, but I went to visit Bruges, Bruxelles and Liège a few years ago. The Flanders are beautiful, I love the architecture, Bruges is a bit crowded with tourist, better to visit it outside the summer. We ended up spending our time in Bruxelles visiting the Museum of Bandes dessinées, reading comic books. Near Liege we visited a former mine, the guide was an old italien who spend all his career there, he was completely deaf because of it, very interesting, I no longer complain about my back ache for spending my day sitting behind a computer.

The only reason why Belgium was created during the 19th century and separate from Holland was because Flamish and Wallons were the only catholics and the rest of Holland was protestant, since few people nowadays bother with going to church, the links between the two region is weak. The Flanders are "rich", with beautiful architecture, painting in each church, but with an aging population, Wallonie is more industrial, not in good shape economically, and with a younger population, often former immigrants from Spain/Italy/Magreb. Flamish and Wallons can't stand each other. As long as they don't think you are from the other side, you should be good. The Wallons don't really like the French in general, they still remember the lame jokes Coluche made about them in the 80s.

You will find different type of waffle depending where you are in Belgium. That where I have found in a supermarket some cheese "washed" with beer during the aging process, really good! I had no idea the food was that bad in Holland. I used to work for a dutch company in France, the two face manager who ended up firing me was very french though, you should see her face when she was trying to convince that she was not building a case against me.

by Anonymousreply 106January 10, 2018 7:19 PM

I forgot, the best think about Belgium is humour, Benoit Poelvoord is very good, he was in The brand new Testament, playing God as an ass hole. Belgian might not be always good looking, but they're supposed to have a good sense of humour!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 10, 2018 7:37 PM

Europe is a Paradise for cheese lovers!

by Anonymousreply 108January 10, 2018 7:59 PM

Really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109January 10, 2018 8:00 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 10, 2018 8:01 PM

[quote] Europe is a Paradise for cheese lovers!

In terms of food or music?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111January 10, 2018 8:31 PM

R96, the last I heard, he penetrated New York City A-Gays.

by Anonymousreply 112January 11, 2018 7:54 AM

First off everyone there is always eating waffles.

Secondly the love to round up natives and put them in concentration camps

Thirdly, if they don't work hard enough, they cut off your fingers one by one.

Fourthly the swear they had no idea and blame the king.

by Anonymousreply 113January 11, 2018 11:54 AM

They produce great clothing designers!

by Anonymousreply 114January 11, 2018 1:09 PM

Lots of guys who look like they just finished filming a Citebeur scene, if you're into that type.

by Anonymousreply 115January 11, 2018 2:01 PM

Nice country, great people and if you hit the saunas you'll have a wonderful time. HOT MEN!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 116January 11, 2018 2:15 PM

Didn't expect too much going there (Brussels, on the way to a conference in Luxembourg) but was pleasantly charmed. People were nice, food much better than expected, the city is not sodomized by throngs of tourists like so many of its European counterparts. Would definitely go back.

by Anonymousreply 117January 11, 2018 3:30 PM

If you're thinking of going to Brussells,

Keep in mind you'll have plenty of tussles.

Whether mussels or muscles,

Guys aren't Bertrand Russells.

But at least they have asses like bustles.

by Anonymousreply 118January 11, 2018 8:09 PM

Thx R103! That's it!

by Anonymousreply 119January 12, 2018 4:11 AM

Great posts, here.... I did not agree, but remember a French tour guide tell me Belgium was the "Ohio of Europe".....I was very confused, as Ohio never looked so good to me! Years later, between two Europeans, overheard one claim "Belgium is the armpit of Europe".

by Anonymousreply 120January 12, 2018 4:21 AM

R118, you smartypants!

by Anonymousreply 121January 12, 2018 4:31 AM

Around 2007 I went through it as a coach passenger on the way to somewhere else.

All I remember is broken machinery everywhere, and not a soul in sight. It looked like a Dystopia.

by Anonymousreply 122January 12, 2018 7:12 PM

What their king did in the Congo still has repercussions today. I don't know how you can say anything good about a country that was as bad to Africans as the Nazis were to the Jews.

by Anonymousreply 123January 12, 2018 10:09 PM

Brussel bored me, Brugge was magical.

by Anonymousreply 124January 12, 2018 10:14 PM

Brugge is one of my favorite European cities, R124. At night, it's like a fairyland.

by Anonymousreply 125January 12, 2018 10:19 PM

They went to Belgium on this week's "The Amazing Race."

by Anonymousreply 126January 12, 2018 10:21 PM

R123, but why put the onous on the entire country when it was the actions of a cruel King and his minions? The Congo Free State was Leopold II's own personal colony, with the support of several western nations, including the US. When news of the barbarism and cruelty could no longer be ignored, Belgium was pressured to take over the colony, and conditions began to improve.

by Anonymousreply 127January 12, 2018 10:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!