Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nanette Fabray versus Shelley Fabares

Who's more famous? Who's the better actress?

by Anonymousreply 18February 25, 2018 8:21 AM

I'm under 50 and I barely know Nanette from "One Day at a Time"...she was in other things?

by Anonymousreply 1August 28, 2016 2:13 PM

She was Mary Richard's mother. Mary and Ann Romano were sisters.

by Anonymousreply 2August 28, 2016 2:20 PM

Nanette was a huge and beloved Broadway and TV star in the late 1940s/early 1950s.

Among many other credits, she starred in High Button Shoes on Broadway and played Sid Caesar's wife on his popular TV series. She was also wonderful in the MGM musical extravaganza That's Entertainment but somehow never made any other feature films.

In her day, she was as recognizable to Americans as First Lady Mamie Eisenhower.

by Anonymousreply 3August 28, 2016 2:43 PM

Mary always said that when she was crying in an episode of The DVD or MTM shows, she was paying homage to Nanette by copying the heaving sobs made famous by Nanette.

The only bad thing I have to say about Shelley is that she is married to that asshole who was brought in to "M.A.S.H." after Wayne Rogers left.

by Anonymousreply 4August 28, 2016 2:57 PM

Nanette is more famous but we know Shelly better from Donna Reed up through Coach.

Also, Shelly played herself in the movie about Annette.

by Anonymousreply 5August 28, 2016 4:20 PM

This is kind of like Sophie's Choice. I can't choose.

by Anonymousreply 6August 28, 2016 4:35 PM

Nanette had what was quite possibly one of Hollywood's worst nose jobs ever.

by Anonymousreply 7August 28, 2016 4:47 PM

Shelley played the perfect older sister on Donna Reed. Who wasn't in love with her if they watched that show as a kid?

Well, of course, Donna Reed and Carl Betz played the perfect parents, as well. How many American kids were totally fucked up thinking this was what the "normal" family was like in the early 1960s? I certainly was.

by Anonymousreply 8August 28, 2016 5:52 PM

[quote]She was also wonderful in the MGM musical extravaganza That's Entertainment but somehow never made any other feature films.

Huh? "That's Entertainment" was a compilation of clips from OTHER "feature films," including the one Nanette starred in (with Fred Astaire, Cyd Charisse, Oscar Levant, and Jack Buchanan) "The Band Wagon." And she's still with us at 95.

by Anonymousreply 9August 28, 2016 7:57 PM

"Where's my fucking ukelele?"

by Anonymousreply 10August 28, 2016 8:03 PM

"Tell Gary Morton to go eat a dick! No way am I being portrayed as a fat cow just to make her crummy ass look better. Who the fuck do I look like? Vivian Vance???"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 28, 2016 8:07 PM

OMG! How could I confuse the title The Band Wagon with its most famous song That's Entertainment??

Nanette plays a lady-in-waiting to Bette Davis' Elizabeth I in The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex made in 1939 so I guess she was hanging around the Warners lot and might have made some other films between that and The Band Wagon at MGM.

by Anonymousreply 12August 28, 2016 11:08 PM

I've eliminated the competition

by Anonymousreply 13February 24, 2018 3:11 AM

VIVIAN VANCE!

AGAIN!

OMFG! SUCH SIDE-SPLITTING HILARITY!

by Anonymousreply 14February 24, 2018 3:21 AM

When all the columns start your obituary with Nanette Fabray, Aunt of actress Shelley Fabares, you know who is the better.

by Anonymousreply 15February 24, 2018 9:03 AM

r14

Stop being mad because your "zoo" thing isn't a thing.

by Anonymousreply 16February 24, 2018 9:03 AM

Nan never had this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 24, 2018 9:15 AM

But I just sit and wait

I'd rather masturbate on Johnny Angel

by Anonymousreply 18February 25, 2018 8:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!