Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Andy Griffith was a racist

Claims Jason Wingreen in an interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 10, 2019 8:01 PM

OP can you please pull out the text that related to your headline.

That is a super long interview.

Thanks lazy.

by Anonymousreply 1August 25, 2016 3:15 PM

OP, you read it your fucking self and stop projecting your own laziness onto me. Or failing that, do a text search within the document. If you had enough energy to do that, here's what you would have found:

What was Andy Griffith like?

Well, you know how I told you that Al Melvin was somewhat bigoted? Andy Griffith was greatly bigoted.

Really?

Really. I was present when Andy Griffith was told that there was a scene they were going to do which was originally written out of the script of that episode, [featuring] Matlock’s right-hand man, who was played by a very good young black actor whose name escapes me. And Andy Griffith was given the information by one of the producer’s assistants there that the scene was going to be not eliminated, it was going to be redone, reshot, and some lines would be given back to the black actor. Griffith, very loud, not caring who was on the set at the time – they had visitors of all sorts when they were shooting – said, in a good loud voice, “Oh, sure. Okay. Go ahead, go ahead. Give it to the nigger. It’s okay. Give it to the nigger.” Does that tell you something?

That’s disappointing. I’m a big fan of Griffith’s work.

Well, it had nothing to do with his work. Do you know what I say? Do not confuse the actor with the role. I played Hitler once!

[It should be noted that Andy Griffith publicly supported Barack Obama during the 2008 presidential election. – Ed.]

by Anonymousreply 2August 25, 2016 3:18 PM

They didn't get blacks in Mayberry till Sam ousted Andy as sheriff and replaced him with Goober.

by Anonymousreply 3August 25, 2016 3:42 PM

[quote] They didn't get blacks in Mayberry till Sam ousted Andy as sheriff and replaced him with Goober.

But all the gays had already been drafted.

by Anonymousreply 4August 25, 2016 3:45 PM

it reads poorly on Griffith. However, we don't know the context. It could have been an inside joke between the two actors. Or he could have been a racist. I would have to get the same viewpoint from more than one person.

by Anonymousreply 5August 25, 2016 3:48 PM

Aunt Bea would be mortified.

by Anonymousreply 6August 25, 2016 3:52 PM

Believe that Jason Wingreen has heard nasty things said about goys by other famous Jews or Jewish celebrities, but he would never betray his own to an interviewer.

by Anonymousreply 7August 25, 2016 4:03 PM

Turnabout is fair play, R7, after all they've said about us. And remember that Mel fucking Gibson is still working.

by Anonymousreply 8August 25, 2016 4:07 PM

Heresay. Not admissible.

by Anonymousreply 9August 25, 2016 5:29 PM

Has Ron Howard ever had a gay character in anything he's directed or produced? Except for the daughter on Parenthood (the show) who came out when she was no longer a regular and close to the time the show was ending its run?

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 10August 25, 2016 5:59 PM

Interesting ... and, if true, disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 11August 25, 2016 6:06 PM

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 12August 25, 2016 7:40 PM

Years ago I was an extra on the set of a popular Canadian show and I heard the star says, "Yeah that's right give that dialogue to the chink actor, go ahead."

He was angry because the scene used stereotyped dialogue and the director wanted the Asian guest star to do the scene like "softly softly catchee monkey" and the star felt it was racist to do that when the actor spoke perfect English.

I'm sure in today's world he would be labeled racist when in reality he was pointing out the directors own racism.

by Anonymousreply 13August 25, 2016 7:44 PM

You don't say?

by Anonymousreply 14August 25, 2016 7:46 PM

I believe it but I still liked the show and I wish he was not a racist pig.

by Anonymousreply 15August 25, 2016 7:53 PM

bump.

by Anonymousreply 16July 10, 2019 4:24 PM

Aunt Bea loved black cock.

by Anonymousreply 17July 10, 2019 4:45 PM

Otis had his own key to the jailhouse but you should have seen what happened to drunk blacks roaming around Mayberry.

by Anonymousreply 18July 10, 2019 4:51 PM

R2 I don't believe that for one second.

Griffith was a registered Democrat and Howard Morris (Ernest T) said that when Griffith heard that Kennedy had been killed his reaction was shock and then, "Those damned southerners."

Griffith probably wasn't an angel - neither is Issa Rae or Spike Lee to be fair - but I don't believe this after-the-fact and after-he's-conveniently-dead smearing of Griffith.

The guy who is saying this probably had a grudge against Griffith and is taking advantage of the current national mood.

by Anonymousreply 19July 10, 2019 5:05 PM

OPie, I never thought you’d betray me with a headline like that.

by Anonymousreply 20July 10, 2019 5:14 PM

Andy was even dubious of my chocolate/chocolate cakes.

by Anonymousreply 21July 10, 2019 5:25 PM

Griffith was a Southern Democrat which had nothing in common with today's Democratic party. I don't doubt the story for a second.

by Anonymousreply 22July 10, 2019 5:47 PM

Did you miss the part where Griffith supported Obama in 2008, r22?

by Anonymousreply 23July 10, 2019 6:05 PM

My dad voted for Obama twice. He was also known to make the occasional racist remark.

by Anonymousreply 24July 10, 2019 6:16 PM

Sorry, but posthumous declarations are always dubious. Like when one of Reagan's kids say "I think my father would think X about Trump" or the like. They're not here to defend themselves. And unless there's a big "I'm a bigot" or such that the dead person left.

by Anonymousreply 25July 10, 2019 6:29 PM

Andy was a Democrat, yet he did radio commercials in Pennsylvania against Democrat Nancy Kulp when she ran for state office. Was he anti-lesbian ?

by Anonymousreply 26July 10, 2019 7:37 PM

One of the last things Griffin did was an Obama ad supporting him.

by Anonymousreply 27July 10, 2019 7:40 PM

[quote]Did you miss the part where Griffith supported Obama in 2008

Voting for Obama does not prove a person is not racist. What stupidity is this??

by Anonymousreply 28July 10, 2019 7:40 PM

Which is why we didn't get along,. Andy knew full well how much I loved scissoring with my Nubian sisters.

by Anonymousreply 29July 10, 2019 7:43 PM

[quote]Andy was a Democrat, yet he did radio commercials in Pennsylvania against Democrat Nancy Kulp when she ran for state office. Was he anti-lesbian ?

That was Buddy Epstein.

by Anonymousreply 30July 10, 2019 7:51 PM

Buddy Epstein was a filthy Jew!

by Anonymousreply 31July 10, 2019 7:58 PM

[quote]Voting for Obama does not prove a person is not racist. What stupidity is this??

This: [quote]Did you miss the part where Griffith supported Obama in 2008, [R22]?

Was a response to this: [quote]Griffith was a Southern Democrat which had nothing in common with today's Democratic party. I don't doubt the story for a second.

by Anonymousreply 32July 10, 2019 8:01 PM

Jason Wingreen died in 2015.

by Anonymousreply 33July 10, 2019 8:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!