Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mid-80s British pop

The Britpop thread is fun, but I'm a bigger fan of the mid-to-late 80's stuff - some that came with the "New Romantics" and some that was part of the new jazz-pop sound, like Style Council, Everything but the Girl, etc.

Starting this thread to talk about some of these bands.

by Anonymousreply 141December 21, 2022 5:46 PM

I liked The Style Council a lot, as well as The Housemartins.

Actually, the Housemartins could have been an '80s reboot of The Monkees. Same vibe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2016 9:16 PM

Late 80s - people were so bitchy about Sowing The Seeds of Love, saying it was so derivative of The Beatles - I heard it recently and I think it's as wonderful as ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2016 9:21 PM

Just discovered Pale Fountains.

Love this sound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2016 9:38 PM

Felt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2016 9:41 PM

Orange Juice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2016 9:43 PM

I sing to express my belief that sweet talk like candy rots teeth:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2016 9:52 PM

OMG PREFAB SPROUT. I love them so, so, SO much.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2016 9:54 PM

This is freaky, OP. I just this a.m. had the same thought, and listened to Joe Jackson on YouTube and then went on Amazon to find the essential 80's compilation. Have about three in mind now, but still looking for Swing Out Sister ("Breakout").

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2016 10:01 PM

EBTG's first three albums will always have a special place in my heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2016 10:06 PM

Scritti Politti's Cupid & Psyche is still one of my favorite albums all these years later

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2016 10:08 PM

Not only are EBTG an excellent band, but Ben Watt and Tracey Thorn are both excellent writers (though I still haven't read Thorn's last book)

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2016 10:09 PM

Sade gets a bad rep sometimes as elevator music, but some of the stuff from the first two albums was really cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2016 9:59 PM

byumpa

by Anonymousreply 13August 22, 2016 12:17 AM

Still love this song. I always thought Nik Kershaw was cute, no relation to the 90's country singer Sammy Kershaw, the queen of the double wide trailer.

For some reason this song was inexplicably remade 2 years later and put into the film Pretty in Pink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 22, 2016 12:58 AM

I remember liking the original better.

by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2016 1:16 AM

Blow-Monkeys...

Digging your scene...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 22, 2016 1:22 AM

Nik Kershaw had another great song "The Riddle" a few years later.

Feargal Sharkey sang the hell out of "A Good Heart."

by Anonymousreply 17August 22, 2016 1:26 AM

Paddy was ridiculously pretty in his youth.

I know he looks a bit offbeat these days, but with all his health ailments I'm just glad he's managing and still making music. I have nothing but love for that man.

by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2016 3:01 AM

Whooops, forgot link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 22, 2016 3:01 AM

Nik Kershaw's "Wouldn't It Be Good" is a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2016 2:41 PM

I am the OP of this thread and remembered its existence - someone mentioned the Style Council in another thread, so re-booting this one (and no I am not the five year old thread troll).

by Anonymousreply 21January 8, 2021 1:52 PM

"Mary's Prayer" by Danny Wilson. 1987. I was *O B S E S S E D* with this song. They were one-hit-wonders I guess? I had this on 45" and I wore it the hell out. Anyone else remember this tune?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 8, 2021 4:49 PM

Ooh I didn't see that the actual video to "Mary's Prayer" was on Youtube. It's about the most 80s thing you could imagine. Doesn't serve the song, even a little bit. But it's fun to remember this era of music videos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 8, 2021 4:52 PM

R22 Yes, I remember that song! It was sort of their only really good song, but it was a lovely one.

by Anonymousreply 24January 8, 2021 4:55 PM

R1 - I love The Housemartins' "Sitting on a Fence."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 8, 2021 4:56 PM

I am so psyched that there's a Style Council documentary.

I was too young for the Jam and have only intermittently enjoyed Weller's solo work, but loved the SC so, so much and had such a crush on Paul.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 8, 2021 4:58 PM

My all time favorite is the Jesus and Mary Chain.

by Anonymousreply 27January 8, 2021 4:58 PM

They are great R27 but I wouldn't necessarily group them with the bands/singers we're discussing here? They'd fit more with the indie stuff, I would think - more with the Cure, Siouxsie and the like.

by Anonymousreply 28January 8, 2021 5:00 PM

Gah. Weller was just so fucking hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 8, 2021 5:06 PM

China Crises was sooooo smooth. Here is "You Did Cut Me".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 8, 2021 5:11 PM

R1 don't you think the Housemartins embrace of hard-core communism might have hurt their mass-market appeal?

by Anonymousreply 31January 8, 2021 5:12 PM

I'm a big fan of Associates...RIP gorgeous Billy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 8, 2021 5:15 PM

*NERDY TEARS FOR FEARS ANALYSIS ALERT*

R2, I was as big a Tears For Fears superfan as you could get. And I liked the actual song "Sowing The Seeds of Love" but it was obvious to anyone with ears, that they were explicitly appropriating The Beatles' "I Am The Walrus" for this song. They were not in the closet about it in interviews, that it was fully a Beatles experiment. It's still a great song so there's not shade intended. It's obviously got great chords, major hooks, a great vocal, good production--it's a well-constructed song.

Beyond that title track though, I personally was VERY turned off by the jazz elements of the "Seeds of Love" album as a whole. And the bringing in Oleta Adams. Nothing against her, and I think the song "Woman In Chains" is gorgeous. But I just did not want THAT kind of music from THAT band. I expected TFF to continue to represent me as an angsty teen. Then they started making literal adult contemporary music, and it was like "ewwwwww."

"Songs From The Big Chair" was an evolution from "The Hurting," but it worked. But "Seeds of Love" was such a left turn from "Big Chair," that really it's like two different bands when you put "The Hurting" and "Seeds of Love" next to one another. And, I mean, they made us wait a long time for that third album, too. Three years. And then after waiting and waiting.... it was such a complete disappointment to me, it almost felt like a bad dream that you can't wake up from. I know, fucking MARY! But that's how it felt at the time, to my 15 year old self.

And they never were that previous band again. So for me, it's those first two perfect records, and then a bunch of other subsequent shit.

by Anonymousreply 33January 8, 2021 5:17 PM

Like this shit here....Compare this song to "Mad World" or "Shout." It's adult comtemporary/easy listening drivel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 8, 2021 5:21 PM

"Down to Earth" was my favorite song of the short lived band, Curiosity Killed the Cat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 8, 2021 5:22 PM

R20 I agree "Wouldn't It Be Good" is truly a miracle of a song. And speaking of Nik, I have had a resurgence of love for Haircut 100 and I am loving playing my old vinyl records.

by Anonymousreply 36January 8, 2021 5:23 PM

Simply Red's "Holding Back The Years." Unbeatable classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 8, 2021 5:26 PM

Sade's music is made for lovers, not elevators! Unless you are having sex in an elevator.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 8, 2021 5:29 PM

An early prototype, of course.

So clear now the entire album was George's love letter to Jon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 8, 2021 5:31 PM

R37 I recently played that out of the blue and just SOBBED. My mother loved that song. *sob*

I loved Come To My Aid, although it sounded suspiciously similar to Money's Too Tight to Mention which was a bigger hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 8, 2021 5:32 PM

Cannot believe I had forgotten about Lisa Stansfield! This song is soooooooooo good! God, her voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 8, 2021 5:33 PM

Exquisitely haunting, beautiful, jazzy song. What every happened to "Double" (pronounced Doo-Blay)?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 8, 2021 5:38 PM

I loved the 80s indie bands. The Smiths, Cocteau Twins, Echo and the Bunnymen, Bauhaus, The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division.

by Anonymousreply 43January 8, 2021 5:38 PM

R43 Here's a thread to do a deep dive on those bands and that sound (I love them too)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 8, 2021 5:44 PM

I'm gonna be the one completely unsubtle gay boy who posts this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 8, 2021 5:49 PM

R45 there is something so amazingly erotic about how Tony Hadley holds that little microphone in that video. I'm guessing he is a very gentle lover.

by Anonymousreply 46January 8, 2021 5:52 PM

Fell in love with Everything But the Girl when I moved to NYC at the end of the 80s along with a group of friends who did as well. We were all set to go to the concert when it was announced that it was canceled and we were bummed. I called it Everything But the Concert and we had a good laugh about that for weeks. We didn’t know that Ben Watt had a devastating disease that was consuming his organs and barely survived.

by Anonymousreply 47January 8, 2021 5:56 PM

R45 R46 One of the best songs ever in existence. My only qualm is that, because of the video, and his singing voice in general, I really fully thought Tony Hadley was gay. He used to seem so delicate and fey. Imagine moi surprise when he was in the news in the past couple years, and he looks like your average bloated, middle-aged hard-drinking, football supporting dad of four, which he is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 8, 2021 5:58 PM

R47 Omg, what?!

by Anonymousreply 49January 8, 2021 5:59 PM

R48, I know. I had hoped too that he had aged into a DILF.

Unfortunately, he looks like he has aged into an old Irish drunk. I wonder how his voice is?

by Anonymousreply 50January 8, 2021 6:00 PM

Not the 80s, but Everything But The Girl's album "Walking Wounded" is a god damn trip-hop masterpiece. Glad Ben survived his ordeal. I kinda remember now that there was an illness that derailed the band for a few years. So I guess this album would have then being their return to the scene after a long hiatus? Well, they crushed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 8, 2021 6:03 PM

How about Bronski Beat?

by Anonymousreply 52January 8, 2021 6:07 PM

R49 He wrote a memoir about it and R51 is right that the title was referencing the experience. It’s miraculous that he survived and his health is very precarious to this day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 8, 2021 6:08 PM

One hit wonders Strawberry Switchblade had this perfect little pop song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 8, 2021 6:10 PM

R53 Poor guy! How utterly random and awful for him.

by Anonymousreply 55January 8, 2021 6:18 PM

Don't shoot the messenger, folks, but Bananarama actually released a really good song in 1986, called "Trick of the Night." I used to listen to this song on repeat in the dark fantasizing about this certain boy. We used to ride bikes with around my apartment complex and I think we went to the county fair together once and had a total blast.

I think he started to sense I was laughing a little TOO HARD at all of his jokes, and was maybe a little TOO eager to see his dumb gawky ginger ass bike by on any given afternoon. So suddenly, he just....disappeared. Stopped biking by my apartment. Just poof, he was gone. Cue the heartache. Oof. It hurt. I didn't even know then quite why. I just ached and felt like shit, and felled deeply compelled to listen ONLY to songs that amplified my longing and despair. In the dark. And cry.

by Anonymousreply 56January 8, 2021 6:26 PM

ps Here's the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 8, 2021 6:27 PM

Ultravox

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 8, 2021 6:32 PM

I've loved EBTG since their first album - I was stunned to hear about his illness, too. As noted above he wrote a fantastic memoir about it. It really fueled their renaissance, and their last three albums were phenomenal. (They did lose the plot a little in the middle, with some tame cover albums and the like.)

Tracey and Ben both tweet a lot and Tracey has a column she writes for an English newspaper, and Ben still has to be careful know as his immune system is not strong. Tracey and Ben basically have to keep distance in the same house.

BTW, Ben's three solo albums, all released in the last few years, are great. They aren't quite EBTG - a bit more of a folkish classic rock feel, but all very good.

by Anonymousreply 59January 8, 2021 6:33 PM

[quote] So I guess this album would have then being their return to the scene after a long hiatus?

Amplified Heart, the one that contained the original version of Missing, was the return to the scene.

Walking Wounded was the album they did after Missing became a big hit.

I was SHOCKED at how different they both looked in this video. I thought for sure when I first saw Ben here that he was dealing with full blown AIDS. This was also around the time (before their books came out) that it became clear that they were, in fact, a couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 8, 2021 6:37 PM

The first three EBTG albums, especially, are just (yes, you can MARY! me) etched onto my soul.

And they were so amazing and so versatile

The jazz pop sound

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 8, 2021 6:57 PM

....to the jangly, Smiths-sounding guitar album

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 8, 2021 6:58 PM

I always thought Tracy Thorn was a lesbian, and was surprised to eventually learn that she was not.

by Anonymousreply 63January 8, 2021 6:59 PM

.....and then a 180, whereupon Tracey channels Miss Dusty Springfield

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 8, 2021 6:59 PM

There were a few years where they went a bit adult contemporary - they've said they were running out of ideas for a while - but even then, there was this song, which was amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 8, 2021 7:01 PM

and Ben looks so fuckable and delicious in the Driving video.

by Anonymousreply 66January 8, 2021 7:03 PM

EBTG wow. That’s a lot of good stuff. So much range. I like the easy laidback stuff.

by Anonymousreply 67January 8, 2021 7:04 PM

They do have so much good stuff, R67, and they are very underappreciated.

I liked the sort of more adult contemporary stuff too, but loved the early and later stuff even more.

by Anonymousreply 68January 8, 2021 7:07 PM

And speaking of delicious and fuckable

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 8, 2021 7:11 PM

Miss Mari Wilson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 8, 2021 7:15 PM

EBTG are my all-time faves. I just became aware of Tracey singing Over the Rainbow on Sade's trumpet player's album. It's beautiful. Only released in Japan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 8, 2021 7:42 PM

How could I get this far and not mention Alison Moyet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 8, 2021 9:04 PM

And this, of course.

My mother came down the hall when she heard this and gave me the strangest look, like, "What ARE you listening to?" She said something like, "My kids have listened to a lot of screaming and hollering but I never expected any of them to listen to this!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 8, 2021 9:07 PM

London Boys

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 8, 2021 9:17 PM

Their aesthetics seem so contemporary now.

I wanted to post my favorite song and video, "Have You Ever Had It Blue," but it appears to have been yanked from all spots on the Internets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 8, 2021 9:30 PM

I had a brief crush on Paul Young. His first two solo albums are nice - the best of them being the singles, of course.

Star Hits or some similar magazine ran some item about him having a rather sizeable endowment, which probably also added to my curiosity.

PS great song, hilariously bad video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 8, 2021 9:34 PM

R76 One of my favorite songs from the era, thank you for posting. I too thought Paul Young was super cute for a second when I was young. He did not age well, but that's not a crime.

by Anonymousreply 77January 8, 2021 9:39 PM

Love the sparse jazzy vibe of this track. Classic Tracy Thorn sentiments about love and support and feelings and relationship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 8, 2021 9:43 PM

Jimmy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79January 8, 2021 10:19 PM

My beloved Kirsty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 8, 2021 10:20 PM

Swing. Out. Sister. Huge in Japan. Big at live jazz festivals. For real.

by Anonymousreply 81January 8, 2021 11:35 PM

I swooned over Tall Tony

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 9, 2021 12:21 AM

ABC with Martin Fry and The Look of Love.

by Anonymousreply 83January 9, 2021 1:58 AM

I remember thinking the singer from Swing Out Sister was so gorgeous and artistic-looking and just kind of adorable. I only knew that one video. But it looks like she really was strikingly beautiful. Great hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 9, 2021 2:18 AM

Oh wow Swing Out Sister has newish music...And I love it. What a surprise. This is a treat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 9, 2021 2:20 AM

Level 42!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 9, 2021 2:32 AM

Yiiikes, I have most of these records in my collection.

by Anonymousreply 87January 9, 2021 2:56 AM

Always like this British pop group - Alphaville and there song - Forever Young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 9, 2021 3:24 AM

I don't know many of these 80s songs here. So I'm very grateful to you all for brining them to our attention. I know I will like them thank you!

by Anonymousreply 89January 9, 2021 7:38 AM

The The - Infected

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 9, 2021 10:59 AM

Scottish one-hit wonders Hipsway

"The Honeythief"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91January 9, 2021 11:14 AM

Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer 1986.

Quite a groundbreaking and quirky video at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92January 9, 2021 11:53 AM

And Big Time also 1986 from the album " So" .

Another quirky video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 9, 2021 11:55 AM

Finally Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush with Don't Give Up. Again from the album "So".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94January 9, 2021 11:56 AM

How can we have forgotten this band?

Annie Lennox & Dave Stewart - Eurythmics

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95January 9, 2021 11:59 AM

Sweet Dreams.

It was released in 1983 but this track has to be included as a quintessential eighties classic.

This video has had 529,087,097 views on YouTube!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96January 9, 2021 12:04 PM

My fav Fine Young Cannibals track doesn't get enough notice

Johnny Come Home

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 9, 2021 12:07 PM

I'd forgotten about Matt Bianco.

I really don't know his work much but I'm remembering in one of the books by Ben and Tracey that they were being chased in some town in Europe by fans who mistook them for Matt Bianco. Which led to Ben having to scream at the fans "No, you idiots, we are *not* Matt FUCKING Bianco!" LOL

I can kinda see where the confusion would lie, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98January 9, 2021 2:38 PM

Huh - I never realized that Matt Bianco was a band name, not a person's name

AND

The female singer in that video is none other than Basia!

by Anonymousreply 99January 9, 2021 2:40 PM

R97 good call. But Roland Gift always gave me the creeps for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 100January 9, 2021 3:40 PM

Simple Minds 'Don't You Forget About Me.'

George Michael, 'Careless Whisper' and 'A Different Corner'.

by Anonymousreply 101January 9, 2021 3:44 PM

I really loved Bananarama's album "True Confessions" from 1986. Just a ton of fun, and lookswise, they never looked hotter than this album and videos. They sort of were ripping off Madonna's "Lucky Star" and "Like A Virgin" era style, but they owned it.

This is my favorite ever video of theirs. Hot boys, hot girls, hot song. So fun to dance to! God I used to go nuts to this track.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102January 9, 2021 7:05 PM

The Mighty Wah! - Come Back

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 10, 2021 1:57 AM

R74, both London Boys and one of their wives died in a car crash.

by Anonymousreply 104January 10, 2021 2:27 AM

Yet another tedious Klan Granny thread. These whores cannot keep to one thread and continue on their quest for Datalounge domination. They deserve to be Prancing Ponied.

by Anonymousreply 105January 10, 2021 2:40 AM

You may be lost r105

This thread is the soundtrack to my life.

Here’s one I love from The Blue Nile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 10, 2021 2:44 AM

Whoops sorry, wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 107January 10, 2021 2:44 AM

For fellow Prefab Sprout fans (and anyone else) a deeper cut but my favourite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108January 10, 2021 2:45 AM

1989 is not "mid-80s" but I'm posting this anyway. I lived for this song and album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109January 10, 2021 2:47 AM

ABC is 80s Brit Pop Royalty All hail Martin Fry...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 10, 2021 2:57 AM

Not British, but same time frame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111January 10, 2021 3:02 AM

R110 Yassss kween!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 10, 2021 3:04 AM

We built a party around this song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113January 10, 2021 3:09 AM

And I have started parties with this song, R113. I think your parties might have been edgier than mine lol

Fun fact: lead singer of Haircut 100 is your beloved "Wouldn't It Be Good" songsmith Nik Heyward.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114January 10, 2021 3:10 AM

Not full on British, but still delightful mid 80s pop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 10, 2021 3:12 AM

I always loved this guy. We thought the lyrics were dong to Johnny Versace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116January 10, 2021 3:14 AM

Siouxsie & The Banshees - Song From The Edge Of The World

I didn't know there'd be an official video for this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117January 10, 2021 3:17 AM

Don't forget the Pet Shop Boys! West End Girls is one of the best mid 80s pop songs.

by Anonymousreply 118January 10, 2021 3:40 AM

Just watched the SC documentary.

*sobs*

by Anonymousreply 119January 10, 2021 4:07 AM

R70 Of course the full title of the band is Mari Wilson and the Wilsations featuring the Marines and Marionettes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120January 21, 2021 1:46 AM

Swing Out Sister - Breakout

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121January 21, 2021 2:27 AM

I've had a huge thing for Style Council as well, Roxy Music I am just getting into. They're like a better version of the Cars. Bryan Ferry reminds me a lot of Scott Walker. Slick and classy vocalist. 1980, but not out of place for 1985.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122January 21, 2021 3:43 AM

R110 and R112 while The Lexicon of Love is a brilliant album it was from 1982. For mid-80's ABC you have to skip over Beauty Stab (nobody liked Beauty Stab) and go with How To Be A ...Zillionaire. Martin Fry had gotten so overwhelmed with the touring and the fans and the hype during Lexicon that he tried to flush his gold lamé suit down a Tokyo toilet in a vain attempt to revamp his image. Unfortunately, the revamped image for Zillionaire was to become a cartoon character (see the video below) and grow out his hair (this if from the same period where Rick Astley and Jason Donovan also had longer hair). Mark White went the opposite route with a buzzed head and a sculpted Tin Tin forelock. Not the best look for either of them but the album produced a few hits including Be Near Me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123January 21, 2021 4:18 AM

Love and Money wasn't the biggest band back then (and it was 1988-89) but their debut album is incredible. Title track in link.

Many of these bands are still recording and have had albums in the last two years. ABC's Lexicon of Love Part II captures the old magic, Nik Kershaw just released something, and of course PSB - 2020's Hotspot is really worth a listen. Paul Weller's latest album On Sunset (not a Donna Summer cover) is SUBLIME.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 21, 2021 5:05 AM

Great thread. So many of these songs have aged well.

Personally I adore Tears for Fears' Advice for the Young at Heart. Gorgeous song.

Swing Out Sister's Jimmy Webb-influenced album, Kaleidoscope World, is fabulous. More late '80s than mid-'80s, though.

by Anonymousreply 125January 21, 2021 5:34 AM

Adore Roxy Music's Avalon. Every single track is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 126January 21, 2021 6:34 AM

Kaleidoscope World isn't late 80s. It's absolutely timeless.

by Anonymousreply 127January 21, 2021 11:49 PM

Great Swing Out Sister

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128January 22, 2021 6:02 AM

Actual mid 80s British soul

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129January 22, 2021 6:05 AM

The Cur e - DISINTEGRATION AND HEAD ON THE DOOR

SUBLIME GOTH POP

by Anonymousreply 130January 26, 2021 11:33 PM

I loved OMD way before the Pretty in Pink crap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131January 26, 2021 11:41 PM

Close Lobsters, A Prophecy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132January 26, 2021 11:45 PM

It was the Psychedelic Furs who sang Pretty in Pink not OMD.

by Anonymousreply 133January 26, 2021 11:48 PM

R133 “If You Leave” by OMD featured prominently in Pretty in Pink.

by Anonymousreply 134January 27, 2021 12:02 AM

R114 Sorry, but Nick Heyward of Haircut 100 is not "Wouldn't It Be Good" songsmith Nik Heyward.

by Anonymousreply 135February 15, 2021 9:58 AM

R114 Sorry, but Nick Heyward of Haircut 100 is not "Wouldn't It Be Good" songsmith Nik Kershaw.

by Anonymousreply 136February 15, 2021 9:59 AM

Oh L'Amour....

He got a man who sounded like a woman who sounded like a man...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137February 15, 2021 12:24 PM

Nick Heyward did have a lovely solo hit with “Whistle Down the Wind” which I think is played in Pretty in Pink.

by Anonymousreply 138February 20, 2021 10:42 PM

OMD’s original song for Pretty in Pink. They had to scrap in and write and record a new one (“If You Leave”) in days when they changed the film’s ending. Gave them a big hit but saccharine song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139February 20, 2021 10:47 PM

scrap IT although scrap in kinda works

by Anonymousreply 140February 20, 2021 10:47 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 141December 21, 2022 5:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!