Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What do you think of The Prodigy?

Probably, i have a screw loose, that's why i decided to make a thread on The Prodigy. This kind of music is not the one i usually favor. I used to dislike this shit. But some of their tracks are fun, when you are in the right mood.

However, i never understood why 'Smack My Bitch Up' is liked. What a terrible song. And what about 'Out of Space'? Why it is considered one of their best? I'm curious to see what DataLoungers feel about The Prodigy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 6, 2019 8:50 PM

I have a soft spot for Baby's Got a Temper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2016 7:32 PM

Baby's tits are more amusing than the song, R1.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2016 7:36 PM

It's one of their weaker singles, but a hysterical video. It revels in its own tastelessness.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2016 7:39 PM

It's maybe too soon to predict this thread's fate, but so far, most DataLounge kitties seem to dislike The Prodigy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2016 7:52 PM

Is Keith Flint a beast in bed, or a sweetie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2016 8:04 PM

A combination, probably.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2016 8:13 PM

Eurotrash poseurs.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2016 8:32 PM

Breathe and Climbatize are my favourites... especially the video for Breathe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2016 9:20 PM

Have many fond memories of my dad and I having fun listening to "Firestarter" and mimicking the lead singer's crazy head shaking and freakouts. My dad died one and a half years ago and I miss him so much.

So for that, I love The Prodigy.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2016 10:46 PM

Very sweet what you wrote, R9. :)

R8, that video is creepy. Hehe.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2016 8:57 AM

You left their signature song out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2016 9:00 AM

I hate dat song, pal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2016 9:03 AM

Diesal Power, great dance song, so is Firestarter

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2016 12:20 PM

So sad to hear the lead singer died :(

by Anonymousreply 14March 4, 2019 3:37 PM

I thought Prodigy was some sort of parody when I saw the video for "Firestarter." They seemed like a punkish band from a TV crime show.

by Anonymousreply 15March 4, 2019 8:12 PM

I never listened to them, but I am very happy that Kim Deal got songwriting credits and royalties from Firestarter, as the Breeders’ song S.O.S. is sampled on it. Fun fact: although Kim wrote that song and the lead guitar part that’s sampled, Kelley Deal played the part Prodigy sampled, so Kim shared her royalty checks with her sister.

Prodigy sampled another Breeders song later, but I forget which one.

by Anonymousreply 16March 4, 2019 8:29 PM

Great music to fuck to. The 90s were fun.

by Anonymousreply 17March 4, 2019 8:35 PM

They were supposed to be representing the new “Electronica” trend of dance music. The Chemical Brothers too.

I was enjoying “The Gentle People” more

by Anonymousreply 18March 4, 2019 8:53 PM

The Prodigy were very much a product of their time. They started in the late 80s and started coming onto the main scene in the early 1990s. I hate to be That Cunt, but a lot of Americans just wouldn't get their style of music. After all, to Americans, it's all "EDM". No, no it's not. The Prodigy are rave, big beat, alternative dance and so much more. Understand that first of all. And then understand that it was bands like The Prodigy that laid the groundwork for so many other dance artists to come along. If you were to say that The Prodigy are the same as, say, Calvin Harris would get you a laugh from most Brits and potentially a Glasgow Kiss (or Smile, depending on which cunt you were saying it to).

Thing is...they didn't really give a shit what anyone said about their music, not really. I mean, do you think one of those sanitised Yank EDM outfits would dare release a track like "Smack My Bitch Up" or "Firestarter"? No, they wouldn't. Add into that the fact that The Prodigy were lucky enough to come out at a time when the music industry hadn't wound it's nasty wee tendrils that deeply into the rave/techno scene and that the nineties in Britain were still a time when club hits - real club hits, not mass-produced shite like Chainsmokers or whatever it is that the dozy wee queens listen to these days - could influence the charts? The Prodigy played on that. Their image was disturbing and they fucking loved it. Watch the video for "No Good For Me/Start The Dance" and you'll see that Flint looks more like a surburban lad gone wild on eckies and speed than the monster, the literal manifestation of Middle-Class Demons in "Firestarter". They preyed on that.

D'you know who else did shit like that? KLF. If you've never heard of KLF, get thee to Youtube and look 'em up. The late eighties right through to the late nineties were a fucking magical time for British club music. There'll never be anything as mental as The Prodigy ever again. Why? Because the music is so fucking sanitised.

by Anonymousreply 19March 4, 2019 9:33 PM

There's been a lot of bickering today about what genre they were. So it's "Big Beat?" Most everybody at work was saying, "Drum and Bass."

My guess was "Hard House."

A couple of idiots swore it was just "Techno."

by Anonymousreply 20March 4, 2019 10:28 PM

R19 is tedious

by Anonymousreply 21March 4, 2019 10:31 PM

So it turns out making terrible music for evil jock douchebags and meth tweakers for many years can actually kill you in the end, I for one am not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 22March 4, 2019 10:35 PM

I always thought they were shit.

by Anonymousreply 23March 4, 2019 10:38 PM

The KLF had “Unbelievable”, right? That’s a killer song. I always loved it when it was popular. I think I was in middle school or early high school. I didn’t normally like that type of music, either.

by Anonymousreply 24March 5, 2019 1:41 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 5, 2019 3:40 AM

I don't think of them

by Anonymousreply 26March 5, 2019 6:06 AM

Smack My Bitch Up is okay this is my fav

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 5, 2019 6:52 AM

I like Nasty too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 5, 2019 7:01 AM

Garbage music for idiots. No wonder he killed himself.

by Anonymousreply 29March 5, 2019 7:06 AM

R19

Oh, i like you.

by Anonymousreply 30March 5, 2019 7:10 AM

KLF featuring Tammy Wynette:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 5, 2019 8:08 AM

The KLF sucked too. Pretentious douchebag group along with Prodigy before the term existed.

by Anonymousreply 32March 5, 2019 8:10 AM

The rave generation changed music R19 has it right, it's inconceivable for a group of that nature to make such a dent in popular music today as the one The Prodigy made in the 90's. Artists like Burial always bring up how fertile and inventive music was at that moment and it's hard to disagree once you realize their influence is still palpable today and how far electronic music evolved in little more than a decade. Nowadays there's no such thing as counter culture and the concept itself seems like a relic but this music did stood against everything that was expected at that moment.

Thanks god we still have Aphex Twin and Autechre to keep proper electronic music alive. Long live The Prodigy.

by Anonymousreply 33March 5, 2019 8:29 AM

I really love Smack My Bitch Up

by Anonymousreply 34March 5, 2019 8:35 AM

‘I’m a Fire StahTah’:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 5, 2019 8:45 AM

"Unbelievable" was by "EMF," which, IIRC, stood for "every motherfucker."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 5, 2019 7:15 PM

Heartwarming story from James Blunt about Keith Flint:

[quote] At the Q Awards years ago, when @NoelGallagher was saying he was leaving Ibiza because I’d moved there, and @DamonAlbarn refused to be in the same picture as me, and @PaulWellerHQ was saying he’d rather eat his own shit than work with me, Keith Flint came over, gave me a hug, and said how thrilled he was for my success.

[quote] Keith, I only met you once, but I shed a tear at the news of your death. In our business, there are no prizes for being kind, but if there was, that Grammy would be yours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 5, 2019 8:27 PM

I hate James Blunts music but that is a very touching story

by Anonymousreply 38March 6, 2019 8:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!