Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Spells trouble: JK Rowling joins row over Harry Potter fans' right to 'real wands'

Spells trouble: JK Rowling joins row over Harry Potter fans' right to 'real wands'

Reports that Huddersfield shop has banned fans of the boy wizard from buying ‘real and spiritual’ tools lead author into Twitter squall

Alison Flood, Monday 15 August 2016 13.34 BST

JK Rowling has sprung to the defence of Harry Potter fans said to have been banned from a UK wand shop because they are not real wizards.

The novelist tweeted a link to a story in the Independent about Richard Carter, owner of the shop Mystical Moments in Huddersfield. Carter, who supplies handmade wands, was quoted as saying that “Harry Potter is for children”, and that “if I had someone come in wanting a wand just because they liked Harry Potter I would not sell them one, no matter how much they were offering”.

“You wouldn’t believe how many real witches and wizards there are knocking about. You would be amazed,” he said. “They know they can come here and reveal themselves without people thinking they’re mental. I don’t have customers who have been Harry Potterfied.”

Rowling tweeted in response on Sunday: “Oh yeah? Well, I don’t think they’re real wands.” Her comment was liked by more than 15,000 people, but some criticised her on Twitter for making fun of pagan religions.

The Sun reported he had banned Potter fans from his shop, but Carter told the Huddersfield Daily Examiner that his comments had been taken out of context.

“I said that if Harry Potter fans wanted a wand they should go on eBay because what they’re basically after is a toy. But I have not banned them from the shop,” he told the local paper. “I have nothing against Harry Potter and actually liked the films. The wands I make, though, whether you believe it or not, are real and spiritual. If a Harry Potter fan came to the shop, whether they would be able to buy a wand would depend on why they want one. If for a toy, then no, but if they had watched Harry Potter and been inspired to start their own spiritual journey, then yes.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 3, 2020 3:51 AM

Yeah, should have shut up. The joke is obviously based on "I know real wands, since they are sold on Diagon Alley, HA!" ... and that's a pretty fucking stupid joke. She has not invented wands.

by Anonymousreply 1August 15, 2016 10:55 PM

My DICK is my wand!

by Anonymousreply 2August 15, 2016 11:25 PM

R1 she didn't claim to have invented wands, she said the goods being sold by the shopkeeper weren't real wands - which they're not, because magic isn't real.

by Anonymousreply 3August 15, 2016 11:48 PM

I fully support pagans who want to call themselves witches and wizards.

And I think that anyone who tries to sell them a "real wand" is a goddamn huckster.

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2016 1:54 AM

What does she have to do with any of this? She's not the Prime Minister, nor has she been granted any other kind of civic authority. She's just a scribbler.

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2016 2:00 AM

Are wands like printers? Once you buy one, do you have to keep buying overpriced cartridges to use them? What a racket.

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2016 2:23 AM

JK Rowlings is like a deranged George Lucas with twitter

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2016 2:33 AM

You buy my charms and poxes 'cause they come in fancy boxes.

To improve your ugly daughter, I've a vial of coloured water,

And my magic incantations can be framed as decorations.

Though there's really nothing to it

And of course you all see through it,

You love me 'cause I do it

With a flair!

by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2016 2:38 AM

[quote]What does she have to do with any of this? She's not the Prime Minister, nor has she been granted any other kind of civic authority. She's just a scribbler.

Her massive following of teenyboppers has created a monster with a huge ego. She's nothing but a lowbrow Twitter bully.

by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2016 3:03 AM

Making fun of pagan religions?!! LOL! The jokes write themselves!!

by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2016 3:12 AM

The fake wands come from the Chinese sweatshop. The real ones come from the one next door.

by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2016 3:16 AM

FFS r3 I explained the obvious joke, and you still don't get it.

You think she made a serious observation about magic not being real and thousands of followers then retweeted this because they decided they seriously and soberly agree that those wands are not really magical?

This makes me hope Dr. Sheldon Cooper is real and you are him.

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2016 8:23 AM

Can't tell if this is satire or not.

by Anonymousreply 13April 3, 2020 1:38 AM

If he wants to give up that much income in honor of his beliefs, let him.

And don't mock him.

Well, not much.

by Anonymousreply 14April 3, 2020 3:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!