Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I think something has happened to the squirrel I fed every morning.

I haven't seen him in a few days and I'm worried. I put food out for the little guy, and it is being eaten, but I've only seen a couple of large grey squirrels come to eat. There was a dead red squirrel a few blocks over the other day, and now I'm worried. How big of a range do red squirrels have? Do they wander more than a two or three block radius? I hope my squirrel is OK, but I'm starting to think something has happened to him. I enjoyed seeing him almost every morning. I'm gonna miss the little guy.

by Anonymousreply 52October 25, 2018 11:40 PM

You pay $18 to post this?

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2016 10:05 PM

If you have a couple of bucks get LaToya Jackson on the case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2016 10:05 PM

OP is a neurotic shut-in, to be played by Sandy Dennis, in *mm.

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2016 10:08 PM

I don't know how far they travel, I hope it wasn't him, OP. Here are a few squirrel facts:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2016 10:11 PM

Oh how sad. So sweet of you too. Hopefully, they roam.

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2016 10:15 PM

[quote]Do they wander more than a two or three block radius?

Of course they roam more than a two or three block radius. Just because you don't!

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2016 10:21 PM

Op, calm down. I've been touring with Adele. I'll be back soon. Keep my nutts warm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2016 10:43 PM

Is this your backyard squirrel, OP?

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2016 10:44 PM

R1, you should be a little kinder to OP. Some of us that come on here use this forum as a way to communicate with others, especially if we are disabled, and don't have a way of getting out and about.

OP, I have a soft spot for you. My grandma Scarlett was a squirrel feeder, and she fed the neighborhood squirrels until the day she died. They will come and go, but sometimes the favorite ones do "disappear."

by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2016 10:51 PM

Aww don't be mean to OP. I think he's very kind.

by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2016 10:54 PM

Dear, dearest OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2016 11:04 PM

Red squirrels have been systematically oppressed by their gray squirrel counterparts. Your feeding the red has caused anger and envy amongst those squirrels who think they should dominate access to all food in their territory. They had the red shot or run over and are, in fact, blaming your favorite red for what happened.

by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2016 11:10 PM

Yes, R8!

by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2016 11:32 PM

I forgot to say that I posted about this squirrel in a thread here about a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 14August 10, 2016 11:38 PM

[quote]Do they wander more than a two or three block radius?

They did a TV things here in London, attaching a thing to a few London foxes to see how far they roamed around the city. MILES & MILES!

by Anonymousreply 15August 10, 2016 11:40 PM

You don't say what your neighborhood is like OP--quiet, busy, suburban, lots of trees, parks, etc. If there's plenty of food and safe cover, they usually won't range too far, especially if they have a regular food source. There's really no way of knowing if the dead squirrel was "yours," but the fact that the grays showed up at the same time he went MIA suggests they probably ran him off. R12 is right, in a tongue in cheek way. Reds' territory is shrinking due to the invasive grays. Also, the little guys are sadly not long-lived; due to cars, predators and mite-borne disease, squirrels only live on average about a year in the wild, though they can live much longer as pets. You have my sympathy, OP, I love those bushy-tailed birdseed bandits too. On the bright side, squirrels being squirrels, he probably left a few offspring behind. And don't pay any attention to the haters, they're probably pissy OCD queens who will die alone.

by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2016 11:40 PM

Oh, no, was this the notoriously unfriendly Darryl?

by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2016 11:42 PM

My neighborhood is mostly quiet and suburban. My house is less than half a block away from a river, and there are lots of large yards, trees, parks etc...though there is one busy street about three blocks in the other direction. The grey squirrels have always been around too, R16, so I don't think they ran him off, though I suppose that is a possibility too. And yes, R17, it's Darryl. How on earth did you remember that? I'm impressed.

by Anonymousreply 18August 10, 2016 11:50 PM

It just stuck in my head. I found it endearing that you named him Darryl and not some cutesy Pokémon type thing. Also I work with a guy named Darryl who has a scolding, fussy personality--I could totally imagine him as a chittering tufty red squirrel. Anyway, if you've been feeding him that long, it's kind of bonus innings after a year, even in what sounds like a squirrel-friendly environment. Poor little fella. I hope if he didn't just find a more generous sugar daddy (best case scenario) that he left lots of little Darryls--like Charlotte's Web. I condole you, OP. We don't realize how attached we get to our backyard visitors till they're gone.

by Anonymousreply 19August 11, 2016 12:07 AM

DEAR GOD NO!

by Anonymousreply 20August 11, 2016 12:08 AM

Bitch, he's in Magaluf.

by Anonymousreply 21August 11, 2016 12:14 AM

OP, Darryl has a lot of fans here, I have no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 22August 11, 2016 12:15 AM

He's fine! He sends his love!

by Anonymousreply 23August 11, 2016 12:17 AM

You're such a doll, R19.

by Anonymousreply 24August 11, 2016 12:24 AM

I've been hired to sit on Donald Trump's head.

by Anonymousreply 25August 11, 2016 12:34 AM

It's August he is probably just gone on vacation, you know before school starts again.

by Anonymousreply 26August 11, 2016 12:50 AM

I needed him for one night. I'll bring him back in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 27August 11, 2016 1:04 AM

A down-vote for Squirrels is an up-vote for Satan!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 11, 2016 1:07 AM

There was this one squirrel that "worked" the apartment building I lived in. He would come and dance on the window screen. Then I would put out a few nuts, and he would sit there and shell them and then eat them. This went on for about 6 years and then he was gone. He was quite entertaining, and would also perform when I had company. I have a dog now.

by Anonymousreply 29August 11, 2016 1:25 AM

If you're sincere, I feel for you. He can come back. Or not. Be prepared for either. You did good by him.

by Anonymousreply 30August 11, 2016 1:34 AM

OP's Red Squirrel is dead to me! DEAD!

by Anonymousreply 31August 11, 2016 2:20 AM

I had to find a new home, OP. Ethel Kennedy's been eating all your walnuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 11, 2016 2:25 AM

R29, we had one of those in my apartment building in Seattle years ago. I lived on the bottom floor and my dining room window opened onto a tiny grass patch, and almost every morning a squirrel would appear on the deck of the building next door and mess with the indoor cat there. My mom brought a bag of pecans one day and I tossed a few in the yard when he was back there. In no time at all, he was coming to my window for his breakfast, and he'd tap on the window if it wasn't open. If I was up before he got there, I'd call him, "Buddy!" and he'd come running. He'd hand out at my place for an hour, then disappear. I was out walking one morning and saw him--across the street, getting his midmorning snack at someone ELSE'S apartment, then one afternoon, there he was gorging himself from a birdfeeder. I recognized him by his bounding run--he moved as high vertically as he did horizontally. The little stinker made a daily circuit of the entire neighborhood, making his scheduled rounds and raiding feeders. I moved away that year, so I don't know what happened to him, but my next place, I had a view of an old house with squirrels nesting in the roof, navigating all the utility cables above the busy street like bushy tailed Wallendas. Those squirrels were like my farm report.

by Anonymousreply 33August 11, 2016 2:47 AM

He's just not that into you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 34August 11, 2016 2:56 AM

Betty Ford ..

by Anonymousreply 35August 11, 2016 3:11 AM

I feed the squirrels in my yard also OP. I had planted two trees about 7-8 years ago and they are now tall and full-the squirrels love hanging around the trees. I throw peanuts under the trees for them and birdseed for the birds. My backyard resembles a zoo at feeding time. I only wish the squirrels wouldn't eat so many of the tomatoes in my garden.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 11, 2016 3:17 AM

I love squirrels too, Except for their lust for tomatoes.

I hope yours turns up, let us know.

by Anonymousreply 37August 11, 2016 3:26 AM

Squirrels sometimes develop a taste for flesh, OP. They're known to attack the desert cottontails in my burgh. That conjures up a mental image more suited to rotten.com than the DL. Never mind.

I hope your little pal returns. A few years back, in my old neighborhood in the SF Bay Area, there was an exquisite B/W feral kitten that adopted a gal pal of mine-she'd eat the bits we gave her, and play on the window sills. Delightful little thing. Then one day my friend saw fur all over the deck, and a bunch of coons prowling around. Didn't take much to sort what happened. Damn it.

Good luck, OP I hope your furiend returns.

by Anonymousreply 38August 11, 2016 4:18 AM

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes. I'm hoping that Darryl will show up again soon.

by Anonymousreply 39August 11, 2016 11:07 AM

Any news on the Darryl front, OP?

by Anonymousreply 40August 13, 2016 4:00 PM

Come back, little D.

by Anonymousreply 41August 15, 2016 2:44 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 42February 22, 2017 6:23 AM

Probably a hawk...

by Anonymousreply 43February 22, 2017 6:28 AM

Darryl! Noooooooooooooooooo!

by Anonymousreply 44February 22, 2017 6:35 AM

I saw Darryl getting ass fucked the other night by a pointy dick tom cat. Who says squirrels don't smile.

by Anonymousreply 45February 22, 2017 11:17 AM

The TV movie “The Day After” (1983), about a nuclear strike against the USSR. It might have aired without commercials. It seemed that everyone tuned in.

by Anonymousreply 46November 11, 2017 1:32 AM

Oops. Misfire.

by Anonymousreply 47November 11, 2017 1:41 AM

I know better than to feed or touch wild animals, but I can see someone looking forward to seeing them. A squirrel would come and sit on my deck and look at me. That lasted several months. Later on, a lizard would sit on my foot, follow me around. They're wildlife, so a predator higher up on the totem pole (or a car) gets them eventually.

by Anonymousreply 48November 11, 2017 1:48 AM

The lizard would actually sit on my shoe.

by Anonymousreply 49November 11, 2017 1:49 AM

OP, hope your pal comes back. I follow two squirrels on IG. One is in Denmark, and is a red one, the other is owned by a chick in the US. They are hilarious and cute.

by Anonymousreply 50November 11, 2017 2:51 AM

[quote]You pay $18 to post this?

Watch your fucking mouth or it'll be 24 bucks for you.

by Anonymousreply 51October 25, 2018 6:28 PM

Oh, OP, was that YOUR squirrel? So sorry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 25, 2018 11:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!