Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

An Officer and a Gentleman

I'm 39 and have never seen this movie.

Debra Winger HATED Richard Gere and hates this film. She loathed the director Taylor Hackford (as did Jessica Lange in Everybody's All American)

I expected to hate the film as it looked gray and dreary. I have never been much of a Gere fan with the exception of Unfaithful )

Well fuck me, it was a great film (despite being gray and dreary) Gere was outstanding (He really should have been nominated for an Academy Award) and Winger oozed charisma.

I was shocked at how great David Keith was in his role and the outcome of his character's story was pretty unforgettable.

Louis Gossett Jr. deserved his Oscar- outstanding.

Did anyone else enjoy this? Sorry, I am 35 years late as usual.

by Anonymousreply 75September 7, 2019 9:34 PM

I love this film. Gere and Winger were hot together. The whole cast was great.

I think Gere is a terrific actor when given the right role - American Gigolo, Internal Affairs, Pretty Woman.

Lisa Blount was also excellent as Lynette.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2016 4:56 PM

Meryl and Shirley stole my Oscars. Cunts.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2016 5:03 PM

It's funny, I am a huge Winger fan, but I am surprised she got the nomination over Gere for this! She was wonderful and like I said, her charisma was off the charts (She was the meaning of "the camera loves her") But there was not one "Oscar scene" in my opinion. Whereas Gere had two scenes that were Oscar scenes- one with Gossett and with Keith.

I agree about Blount, and sadly she died 5 or 6 years ago..

Lisa Eichorn was good too.

Just a really good old fashioned film.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2016 5:32 PM

What was Winger's beef with Taylor Hackford? She and Jessica have frequently clashed with their directors. I think they just have strong convictions, which of course, gets them branded as "difficult."

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2016 7:24 PM

Go into video at 8:19 & Debra talks about how unfairly she was treated on the set of An Officer and a Gentleman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2016 7:44 PM

So what happened to Winger?

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2016 8:28 PM

I'd certainly give an Oscar to D before I'd give one to G.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2016 8:30 PM

Taylor is married to Helen Mirren, of course.

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2016 10:53 PM

R8, Taylor Hanson? I thought we've determined that he's a big gay bottom.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2016 10:55 PM

Lisa Eilbacher, dude. The other Lisa. Whom I saw hanging around the hotel lobby of the Oscar party that year and begging folks to recognize her. Finally one did and she got to sign an autograph.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2016 10:59 PM

(Eichorn was the rather dreary actress who played a rather dreary junkie in that Jeff Bridges movie, "Cutter's Way", I think. And she's also the one who was fired from "All Night Long" and replaced with, of all people, Barbra Streisand -- in a supporting role. Streisand left Sue Mengers over that one later since it was directed by her husband).

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2016 11:02 PM

Loved this film. I didn't know Winger was nominated for an Oscar and not Gere. She was good, but he was the movie. It's like Titanic with Winslet nominated, but not DiCaprio. Winger should have been nominated for Terms of Endearment, she was great in that. Glad Gossett won for this. Truly every performance in this film was phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 12February 13, 2019 7:00 PM

I don't like military shit.

by Anonymousreply 13February 13, 2019 7:02 PM

[quote]Debra Winger HATED Richard Gere and hates this film.

Debra Winger hates everyone and everything.

by Anonymousreply 14February 13, 2019 7:04 PM

Gere deserved a nomination. This scene makes me cry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 13, 2019 7:07 PM

It was a wonderful film!!!! And Gere is so hot in it!! You should definitely see it!

by Anonymousreply 16February 13, 2019 7:14 PM

What is the deal with Winger? I've liked a lot of her films, but was too young to follow the backstage stuff when she was really big. It just seems like she had a lot of feuds going on. How was her relationship with Travolta?

I had no idea the woman who played Lynette and the friend from Flashdance died.

by Anonymousreply 17February 13, 2019 7:14 PM

Gere is just plain hot, always has been.

by Anonymousreply 18February 13, 2019 7:18 PM

I liked it a lot in 1981, didn't love it.

Keep in mind that Debra Winger was/is a bi-polar mess, hence her issues getting along with people. She was probably right, however, about self indulgent psycho Shirley MacLaine in Terms.

by Anonymousreply 19February 13, 2019 7:24 PM

See this thread for lots of Winger hate and shade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 13, 2019 7:37 PM

Richard Gere was so fucking hot in this.

by Anonymousreply 21February 13, 2019 7:43 PM

This is an iconic 80s movie that suceeds despite the acrimony. Debra Winger is one of my favorite actresses but I have a feeling if I met her I would end up cursing her out or maybe even slapping her, she seems to be so unpleasant. But she's brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 22February 13, 2019 7:50 PM

Who bumped this thread! This was mine. And it is so weird to see that I was once 39!!!!!! I want to cry.

R13- I HATE military films. I really liked this- Check it out!!

by Anonymousreply 23February 13, 2019 7:51 PM

Star Troupe of Takarazuka Revue Theater put this on in the autumn/winter of 2010, and it was a big hit.

Yuzuki Reon is hotter than Richard Gere, change my lesbian mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 13, 2019 8:32 PM

No, I don't like old black and white movies.

by Anonymousreply 25February 13, 2019 8:47 PM

Gere was great here and so hot. I never found Winger attractive at all and she was good here but he was great. She was better in Terms of Endearment. Love the movie - a lot of great supporting characters and great performances.

by Anonymousreply 26February 13, 2019 9:33 PM

Very good movie. Enjoyed it a lot back I the day, and had no desire to watch it again.

Maybe I should. It's a rare film in that it's about a segment of society that's usually ignored by Hollywood - poor small-town whites. People with no good options and no where else to go, people whose lives have only gotten more desperate as the factories went overseas and Walmart ruined what was left of their towns.

by Anonymousreply 27February 13, 2019 10:38 PM

This movie Demands a remake.

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2019 7:19 PM

Is there anybody whom Debra Winger doesn't hate or loathe?

by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2019 7:34 PM

Saw a preview months before its release. Filmmakers invited me to a discussion afterwards re opinions on aspects of the film such as why Gere had to fight Gosset in the end. They didn't believe me when I said the film would be a memorable success. It was so different than what was currently selling, meaning more emotionally gut wrenching.

Movie increased military recruitment although it was made without their strong support. Filmmakers didn't want any restrictions.

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2019 7:40 PM

Do you mean Taylor hackford as being the filmmaker that you spoke with at the screening?

by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2019 7:44 PM

Great as he was, it's odd that Gosset Jr won the nomination (and Oscar) and David Keith wasn't even nominated. The latter had a very heartbreaking and sympathetic character, it was much more traditionally 'Oscar baity'.

The film could do with some trimming, but it's a nice portrait of small town America. Winger is incandescent as always. Gere was hot.

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2019 8:01 PM

And he showed his balls too.

by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2019 8:14 PM

And after this one, Gere made a few bad decisions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 24, 2019 1:28 AM

And some even worse ones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 24, 2019 1:31 AM

[quote]Debra Winger HATED Richard Gere and hates this film. She loathed the director Taylor Hackford

Is there anyone she liked?

[quote]Gere is just plain hot, always has been.

Yep

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 24, 2019 1:39 AM

I remember this film for hot daddy Robert Loggia.

by Anonymousreply 37August 24, 2019 1:46 AM

The scene where Gere cream pies Winger was hot!

by Anonymousreply 38August 24, 2019 1:54 AM

I tried watching this movie a few months ago but it was so bad I could barely get through it so I abandoned it a third of the way. Total crap.

by Anonymousreply 39August 24, 2019 1:55 AM

This film, like Terms of Endearment was cliche-ridden, although I thought the casting was better here. I've always liked Winger, even if she is a mess in real life. Gere had a smoldering semi-exotic quality but really has never stuck me as very good actor. Terms is just awful--mawkish at the end, Jeff Daniels was miscast (he could play a college prof now but couldn't then) and both Maclaine and Nicholson have played similar parts better in other films.

by Anonymousreply 40August 24, 2019 2:00 AM

I was in high school when this came out - loved it, but I had always heard Debra wanted to fuck Gere and he wasn't interested. Or they did fuck and Debra wanted to continue and Gere didn't.

Maybe that made her hate him, but some on this thread make it seem as if Winger hated him from the jump. I don't think that's true. This movie and Urban Cowboy make a great double feature.

I remember Winger being my new favorite actress after the three punch of Cowboy, Officer, and Terms. Then she made Mike's Murder and Legal Eagles (which is HORRIBLE) and I lost interest in her at the time.

by Anonymousreply 41August 24, 2019 3:03 AM

It's interesting, Terms IS cliche ridden and mawkish but so entertaining.

I was watching one of those CNN Movie specials and the American public's favorite movies are ALL cliche ridden and mawkish lol. But we love them

Sit through E.T. now and it almost seems like a joke - but I remember it was considered a new masterpiece at the time.

And all those Nora Ephron/Meg Ryan films don't hold up very well either. But America loves them.

by Anonymousreply 42August 24, 2019 3:09 AM

I was 12 years old in 1982 and my dad -- a veteran and a pilot -- loved this film so much that even though it was rated R, was filled with foul language, and featured a sex scene, he actually took me to see it - twice!

I was very lucky that both my parents loved movies so that when I became a fanatic movie buff in my teens, they were able to appreciate my enthusiasm and join me in going to see even the most obscure art films.

by Anonymousreply 43August 24, 2019 4:18 AM

Take away the coarse language and gratuitous sex scenes, and this really is an old-fashioned romantic movie. You can picture Monty Clift and Donna Reed or Deborah Kerr in those parts.

by Anonymousreply 44August 24, 2019 7:48 AM

I have the feeling Debra’s character being carried off at the end was the high point of her life. Downhill from there.

by Anonymousreply 45August 24, 2019 7:59 AM

The Simpsons parody of the final scene is priceless. "You're here to see me, right?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 24, 2019 8:41 AM

R34 what the fuck was that? Lol

by Anonymousreply 47August 24, 2019 12:15 PM

R44: Donna Reed, maybe, but not Deborah Kerr--regal, frigid, and or reserved were her calling cards. Monty Clift would have had more sexual tension with David Keith or Lou Gossett. More likely, an un and coming actor whose career went poof--like Don Murray.

by Anonymousreply 48August 24, 2019 1:17 PM

This would have been a great breakout role for Glenn, she can play earthy and sexy well.

She could have had this and Garp in her first year in Hollywood. She could have even snatched that Oscar away from Jessica and been standing up there grinning with her pal Meryl!

by Anonymousreply 49August 24, 2019 2:13 PM

Would Glenn have played Gere’s abusive dad or Louis Gossett Jr?

by Anonymousreply 50August 24, 2019 4:11 PM

Sorry, no matter who played her- Debra's role had no OSCAR SCENES. Not one. Still surprised that she was nominated at all.

Her charisma was off the charts.

by Anonymousreply 51August 24, 2019 4:15 PM

You can't spell Taylor Hackford without Hack.

by Anonymousreply 52August 25, 2019 3:21 AM

I only saw this film last month (I'm 51) Though it had a few great scenes, in the end I was underwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 53August 25, 2019 7:20 PM

Agree with R27 's post. This movie was about a dead-end town that housed an officer training school. The officers that moved in and out of the town were a point of excitement for the town. For the younger women, bagging one of the officers-in-training was a ticket out of the town.

I just rewatched "Urban Cowboy" and Debra Winger was really charismatic. In interviews, she says that the set of Urban Cowboy was much more enjoyable than Officer and a Gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 54August 25, 2019 9:47 PM

"I have the feeling Debra’s character being carried off at the end was the high point of her life. Downhill from there. "

I disagree. I think that whatever happened to that gal, she'd see her life as an improvement on what she left behind. Even if she ended up divorced and working at the Piggly Wiggly in Fort Bragg ten years later, she'd think she was better off - she'd see her job as better than the one at the bag factory, she'd have a bigger and better pool of available men, and she'd have the self-confidence you get after having set out to achieve something difficult and having pulled it off.

Look, unless you've been there, you have NO idea what a huge boost you get when you go from having shit nothing in the world, to having... something. Anything. It completely changes your view of the world and yourself.

by Anonymousreply 55August 26, 2019 5:53 AM

Didn’t Debra hate everybody she worked with? She married Timmy Hutton, who everyone seemed to love. It was a head scratcher. I later learned that Tim is an asshole too. Case closed!

by Anonymousreply 56August 26, 2019 6:00 AM

You know I've never thought about what would happen in the future with Zachary and Paula. It's true though, they probably wouldn't have lasted. Watching it again recently I realized that Zach only went after her because he was tired of being alone. He was emotionally devastated by his friend's suicide and pushed her away, but for the high points of his life, he had no one to celebrate with. He seems like he would be a handful to deal with for years on end.

by Anonymousreply 57August 26, 2019 6:43 AM

Hated it!

by Anonymousreply 58August 26, 2019 9:06 AM

In the scene where David Keith has hung himself, was he well hung?

by Anonymousreply 59August 26, 2019 11:52 PM

Good Will Hunting was the same movie. The girl ended up with a basket case but we're supposed to think it's romantic.

by Anonymousreply 60August 27, 2019 12:00 AM

Gossett was pretty one note imo in this. I think they only gave it to him because it was nearly 20 years since they gave it to a black. Unfortunately, the Academy’s gesture cost Preston or Lithgow a richly deserved Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 61August 27, 2019 12:16 AM

[quote]Debra Winger HATED Richard Gere and hates this film

To be fair, I don't think there are many things that Debra Winger DOESN'T hate.

by Anonymousreply 62August 27, 2019 12:21 AM

I saw an interview with Gossett where he talked about this film.

From what he said, it was one of the first roles that was cast color blind. He commented that the writers did not write Foley as black. Just as Sgt Foley.

When he went to talk about playing the role, the PTB's reaction was "well, why not?" His color didn't matter one way or the other as the role was written.

I think that is one of the things that makes Gossett's performance work.

I think in the same interview, Gossett spoke about turning down "Silence of the Lambs" because he and others involved in making the film were leery about the cannibalism angle and having a black actor play the role.

by Anonymousreply 63August 27, 2019 12:32 AM

R63 I don’t see the miracle here. Gossett just played a drill sergeant. White, black or whatever. They just bark shit at the underlings. He was effective in the role, just not Oscar worthy.

by Anonymousreply 64August 27, 2019 2:27 AM

BUMP!

Does anyone know why this movie seems to have really been forgotten after it was once so “endlessly quoted” in the media and among film fans, had such a famous (possibly iconic?) ending scene, and was such a massive hit?

(I know it’s now an “older” film, but so many people still remember movies like “When Harry Met Sally” and “Sleepless In Seattle” and film critics still mention them...)

It was a very good “Mid-budget” studio film made for adults—the kind of movies studios simply refuse to make anymore.

Now it is only: comic book/superhero/Marvel movies, Disney remakes, remakes of almost every (even only semi) popular film released before 1999, and the purely Oscar bait “prestige” films (which also now *must* include a socially conscious /relevant “social justice”, preachy, or sanctimonious “message” being the center of the storyline for it to have any chance at all of being considered for a possible Best Picture win.

And it doesn’t matter to me if it’s a “good issue” that I actually *really*, really agree with (which is generally the case), it is the lecturing and sanctimonious tone/attitude these films take on , and how the films act like they’re doing a huge service to the audience by “educating”/preaching to them (the little guy) about *this* “important issue” or that one, that is a *huge* turn off; it’s like a stern school lecture *disguised* as “entertainment”—which it isn’t even that.

Another thing is that all those same few allegedly “quality” Oscar bait films are now all only being released *right* at the end of the year.....

There are no more decent (well made—with talented casts and expert crews and craftsman) “mid-budget” studio movies with real stories and characters as the main focus of the project being created anymore by studios and aimed specifically at the adult movie going audience—which is a shame.

It’s like Hollywood lost its mind over the past 15 (to 20?) years and willfully forgot for some reason that they once made genuinely good films with real stories and characters, good direction and acting, and *no* robots or CGI needed in them—CGI now being used in almost every movie released these days in order to distract the audience from, or to cover up how awful the movies themselves are—which is the only thing CGI can actually kind of “help” with at all...

It’s sad and I think it (the obliteration of the mid-budget studio film in favor of 24/7 superhero and CGI fest movies) has been steadily helping to destroy the U.S. film industry and its reputation, with films like “Terms of Endearment”, “Fatal Attraction”, “Urban Cowboy”, “Working Girl”, and “Ordinary People” (among many others)—all traditional mid-budget studio movies Hollywood once made with some regularity, now being examples of bygone era in Hollywood: examples of reliably solid films that audiences enjoyed, all made in a sector of the film industry that has now all but disappeared...

“An Officer and a Gentleman” would *never* be made today (and, yes, *I know* that it’s not a “masterpiece”—but it *was* entertaining, well acted, well directed, and had some great lines in the script; audiences also loved it too...).

That is more than I can say for most new films these days—and I don’t see any sign that that will be changing anytime soon.

It’s also not a superhero/comic book movie adaptation or a remake or a franchise, so the screenplay for “Am Officer and a Gentleman” would have been rejected on sight.....

by Anonymousreply 65September 7, 2019 4:31 PM

I’ve heard firsthand that Taylor Hartford has a terrible temper and is very unpredictable. He’s renowned to be difficult to work with.

by Anonymousreply 66September 7, 2019 4:50 PM

That was meant to be Taylor Hackford obviously.

by Anonymousreply 67September 7, 2019 4:51 PM

R65, I'm going to sound like the eldergay that I am, but IDGAF-- The mindset has changed. Today, a movie or a record album or concert tour isn't deemed "successful" unless it reaches #1 right out of the gate. You read it all the time here on DL. Something is deemed a flop because it failed to surpass so-and-so's record or it only made $200M rather than the anticipated $500M. It's all numbers and dollar signs to these young execs, which is why the idea of a mid-budget movie doesn't appeal to them. It just doesn't draw the excitement and the crowds. If you go to a big studio and pitch the idea of a character-driven story about a troubled Navy Aviation candidate and his rocky romance with factory worker, they'll tell you to take it to HBO or Netflix.

And, let me just add that the biggest promoter of the mid-budget, character-driven motion pictures, is no longer in power due to behavior that have rightfully ostracized him from the industry.

by Anonymousreply 68September 7, 2019 5:17 PM

Classic.

by Anonymousreply 69September 7, 2019 5:20 PM

I had to skip to end of this thread.

DEBRA WINGER IS THE WORST ACTRESS EVER!!! (Molly Ringwald is a close second)

Her tone def delivery is so off-putting. I have never understood WHO in their right mind thought that she had talent!!!!! I figured she put out and struck gold!!!!

And she hates fucking everybody she ever worked with. UHG!!! I HATE HER!

by Anonymousreply 70September 7, 2019 5:27 PM

What's funny is that the 80's gets dubbed as being the era of the blockbuster and the decade that movies went to crap. But I disagree. It's an underrated era in terms of filmmaking. There was a lot of great stuff that got made but never got the appreciation that it deserved. But it gets dismissed when compared to the 70's and the 90's.

by Anonymousreply 71September 7, 2019 6:11 PM

R70, I never got Debra Winger either, but she's far from "Worst Actress Ever." Critics were always raving about her, but to me, she was always saying her lines in a dry monotone, like she was bored with everyone and everything. When she would laugh or show excitement, it always seemed sarcastic.

by Anonymousreply 72September 7, 2019 6:19 PM

It's a good movie, but the scenes with his father and the ones explaining his train wreck of a childhood were poorly done and never really helped the movie move develop like they could have.

by Anonymousreply 73September 7, 2019 6:31 PM

The was era of Richard Gere, though. He die great movies, one after another after another. He was super handome and could act to boot. He was serious about acting while being a huge box office star.

by Anonymousreply 74September 7, 2019 7:05 PM

Come to think of it... is this movie going to be remade?

Every popular movie from the 80s and 90s is being remade now in a big cash grab, and this is a property that could be tailored to fit the modern conservative zeitgeist. Have some gal in a modern small town that's been ruined by opiates and Walmart, trying to escape her deplorable existence by snagging herself a "hero" with a future.

by Anonymousreply 75September 7, 2019 9:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!